3.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1469 Purina Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Sophie was put on this food prescribed by the vet. I ordered the food from a website that was on the Tigard Animal Clinic’s website. They referred it. The vet said it wouldn’t hurt if my other furry kid JT ate it too. I received the food on Thursday and fed both. Took JT to the vet on Saturday as he was vomiting and diarrhea with blood. I fed him sweet potato and meds. He was fine later that day. Then on Wednesday Sophie has vomiting and diarrhea. From Thursday on, she became lethargic, wouldn’t eat, and vomit after drinking water. Her hind legs were so weak she couldn’t stand. Took her to the vet on Saturday to find her temp was low.

They did bloodwork and almost everything was failing. I was forced to make the decision. She was taken away from me at top speed with this food. She was fine before she ate this. No lethargic, eating and drinking normal. Walked, played, barked, and breathed normal. I know it was the food that elevated. JT survived because he’s bigger and stronger than Sophie. She’s just 4 lbs. She couldn’t handle the toxins from this food. Please take it off the market as it’s killing our furry kids. I’m devastated and blamed myself for allowing them to eat this brand. I’ll never forgive myself for her pain, suffering, and shortened life. My baby girl wouldn’t have gone this soon.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Our three cats have been eating Fancy Feast as a wet food for many years. One age is 8 years old the other two is 13. My eight year old started vomiting profusely and has now lost half his weight. The other two started throwing up but when we stopped feeding them Fancy Feast they stopped puking. I'm afraid I cannot save my 8 year old boy and I'm very disappointed that I cannot trust a company who has been around for many years. Shame on you Purina/Mars. If there was a lawsuit I'd be all over it making sure you paid for all the losses that you've caused. I tell everyone do not buy Purina ever. I don't know how you sleep at night!

Original review: April 11, 2019

My cat had been eating Science Diet for 11 years. A few months ago he stopped eating it so I was forced to try something new. I chose Purina One chicken formula, and he loved it. In under two months he had a urinary tract infection that completely blocked his urethra. Before he showed symptoms, bladder stones started to form. He just had emergency surgery to remove those stones. My vet is almost positive it was the food he was eating, though the stones have yet to be analyzed.

FLUTD is not common in cats his age, which is another reason my vet believes the Purina food is to blame. He's already on a prescription Science Diet food (whether he likes it or not) and will be for the remainder of his life thanks to Purina. It caused my cat over a week of pure misery, and it cost over $2500 in vet bills to bring him home alive.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I had been purchasing at Sam's Club and giving to my 3-1/2 year old Shih Tzu. She loved them. She became a very picky eater and started vomiting and diarrhea. She developed a urinary tract infection and had bad reactions to the antibiotics. Took her back to the vet and they did chest xrays to find out she has a nickel size stone that developed in her bladder. They said it could be due to dietary or hereditary. She goes in for surgery in a few days. Decided to read the reviews and surprised to see so many complaints. Sorry I did not check sooner. Hoping surgery goes well. Expensive lesson. I would suggest pet owners stop using this product. Pray for my Mimi.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This was my cat's favourite cat food until recently. I found these reviews and realised these cats are having the same health issues as my cat. Lethargic, high temperatures, kidney problems, won't eat, throwing up, Vet doesn't know what's wrong. He is 3 years old. When he got sick we only fed him Purina as it was his favourite and the most expensive. Now he won't go near it. This is appalling. It should all be recalled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been buying Friskies wet food for my cats for several years, but recently (around the time labeling was changing), my cats starting refusing it. When they did eat it, they immediately threw up, and became lethargic. I didn't make the connection until last night, when I opened a can of Friskies, and the smell was so bad, I couldn't give it to my cats. I opened other cans, gave it to them, and they ate it, but immediately threw up---all 6 of them. I feel if I continue buying this food, my cats will become seriously ill. Even though the higher quality foods are more expensive, I feel my cats will be saved from future diseases and illnesses. I look like Purina to come clean, and tell us what they put in the Friskies wet food for real-something is not right.

Original review: March 20, 2019

My cat thrived on Friskies pate, wet food, until two months ago. Now she won't touch it. I began researching on the internet, and found dozens of sites talking about how Purina had changed the formulation, and cats were getting sick and dying. My cat, when she ate the latest purchase, began vomiting and having a diarrhea. Now she will eat nothing and is wasting away. In every instance I found, Purina is denying any responsibility.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have several cats, they have eaten Naturals Originals for over a year without any problems. About a year ago they started to vomit - because the cats love the flavor so much I tried Naturals indoor, they vomited and started coughing up blood. I wrote to Purina and they blew me off. I started feeding them Naturals grain free, the cats stopped coughing up blood, but they got scabbed up and continued to vomit. They have also been eating kitten chow and meow mix. I stopped the Naturals completely, they no longer vomit and the scabs are cleaning up. Something is not right in the Naturals cat food.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Hello. Our little princess crossed the Rainbow bridge in late 2018 when she went into respiratory crisis after it was discovered she had fluid, out around the lung sacks that returned within hours of being extracted. She had a kitty cough and soreness when picked up from under her abdominal/chest area. Kitty coughs are not common. Hacking up a fur ball IS, it’s not the same thing. If your kitty has a cough get it to a clinic for a chest X-ray. Early in 2018 she had a bout of Pancreatitis which she was hospitalized for. This was after She was refusing to eat her fancy feast which she had eaten for the majority of 18 years. This is in line with some of the complaints here.

I have a fairly young adult cat (5) who is a great eater who has been off his food. He eats almost all varieties of FF and doesn’t want anything else, so I have been trying to sort out what he has going on. I did not suspect his food until I came across these complaints. It has been odd, because he is still eating, and hungry, he is just refusing some of his FF, so I have suspended his FF until I can get this sorted and bought some ridiculously expensive pet store cat food which he wolfs down like normal. He has been running around like a hellion all day as fast as he can instead of lethargically laying around.

So I have been in contact with Purina and I am investigating. We have on average 10 outdoor homeless kitties we feed Friskies which also has some complaints, so I think inquiry and research is warranted. We have many colony caretakers who are feeding these foods exclusively as well. There is a need to know if there are genuine risks.

For those who believe you are having/had food related problems, can you please indicate what type or variety there has been a suspected issue with, with the dates and lot numbers from the cans. If it was a while ago even the type/variety is helpful and a timeframe when these fur babies were ill. I am trying to research and crunch the numbers to provide the information to Purina and some other impartial entities as well. If you can pinpoint a specific variety/food type and lot number, you are currently feeding, please do not discard it all.

Please send it to be tested by the FDA or whatever the governing agency is in your country or other well known independent laboratories. Without specifics, it’s difficult to triangulate where the problem lies if indeed one truly exists, when this is produced and distributed in mass. Usually there might be a lot or partial lot that is problematic. If they changed the source of a common ingredient that is sole sourced and could be in every can of food, then timeframes are critical. They have to look at person, place and thing to identify and locate the origin of the problem. There is a certain amount of raw data you need to do that and some of it is missing from the current complaints.

I am impartial at the moment, I have been a satisfied Purina customer for 35 years and have never had a problem or questioned the food until now. I just want to make sure our fur babies do not continue to be at risk, if indeed there is a problem. I am not jumping to any conclusions, Purina deserves a fair shake, But I have been experiencing this first hand and some things do make me question if something in the last 18 months has changed regarding these cat foods. So, please help with this research if you can. Knowing that a specific variety/type and lot/date is being fed with no adverse effects is just as helpful right now because we have caretakers sitting on cases of Purina food who need to know if it’s safe to feed any of what they have. I’m hoping ConsumerAffairs will publish this and that we can all work together to find some answers. Thank you for reading this review.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been feeding my cats Fancy Feast canned food for years but lately, from 24 pack to 24 pack the consistency is different. My car has refused to eat any from this new 24 pack after getting sick. Even the cartels in my neighborhood are refusing to eat. Just noticed these are now prepared in France and only distributed from a USA location. Based on the other recent comments I think we have a RECALL in order!

Purina Pet Foods Company Information