2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (923 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: June 22, 2015

My dog had his first seizure that lasted for 4 MINUTES after the VET gave him "temporary" dog food for his urinary stones after his operation. I AM APPALLED, DISGUSTED, and MAD! I asked them, did they KNOW that Purina has been linked to these reports of seizures??? They said NOTHING, except that it was just temporary dog food until the new brand arrives. I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH!

Original review: June 20, 2015

My daughter’s kitten was a Christmas gift, a 12 wk. $1800 Persian. I bought some Purina indoor cat food when the store was out of Max's regular food. Max started throwing up the same night & looked like he had the runs. This was Friday night 6/19/2015. Next day 6/20/2015 I found Max on the floor not moving but cried when he saw me. Rushed Max to vet right then. Turns out the runs was bloody stools, & the vet said Max was in shock & even at the ANIMAL HOSPITAL Max was dying & I should put him down. I am paying for the cause of Max's death on Monday. The food was good till Sept 2016. This kitten was my 6 YR. OLD'S Christmas gift. What am I going to tell my daughter?

Original review: June 20, 2015

I contacted Purina online CSR to let her know my dog's new feed so heavily advertised for dogs over 7 was something he (a dachshund who loves food) won't take more than 2 bites of, and his health started deteriorating. I asked for a refund (it was over $20 at Wal-Mart) and a recommendation of an alternative older dog food. As a 20+ year user of Purina for dogs and horses, I will NEVER buy their product again. She couldn't even remember if it was a cat or a dog, and it was in the first line. Like being grilled at the Nuremburg trial and after 30 min, with a bad heart, I had to get offline. My dog became lethargic, listless, and less alert on this food. And he's always been healthy and good to go. SHAME on Purina/Nestle.

Original review: June 17, 2015

This company sold and continues to sell Waggin Train Chicken Jerky and Canyon Creek Chicken Jerky AFTER hundreds of complaints about sick and dying pets. They pulled the items from shelves for a couple of months to let things die down and put them back in March of 2014. I called them they assured me that the removal from the shelves was self-imposed and their product was 100% safe. I fed them to my dog who loved them and she became ill. I did not connect it at first so when she recovered I gave her another one over several days, my oldest Cat would steal pieces of it. Well my dog became ill for several days and my cat ended up with kidney failure and was put to sleep in October.

A few months ago my dog took deathly ill and I spent a week on the floor with her spooning teaspoons of water into her mouth to keep her from becoming dehydrated. And sleeping on the floor with her (she is a Chihuahua) because she was taking seizures and I didn't want her to fall off the bed. When she recovered and I began feeding her the normal food she took ill again and had a relapse, I thought I would lose her. I finally figured out it was the dog food and stopped it. Yesterday I found out that Beneful (which was what I had been feeding her) was under recall. Seriously, and then yesterday they announced this same Brand, in India has recalled noodles because they have high levels of lead in them. They have antifreeze additive in the Beneful and whatever else in the Jerky.

This company has refused to remove the items from the shelves. Contact with them gets reduced to threats of blocking from facebook and announcements that they are the largest food company in the world. I asked them if that was a threat to me or an announcement that they are untouchable. They state they are 100% safe yet animals are sick and dying. Something needs to be done. They have graduated from careless disregard of manufacturing and processing practices of animal products to human food. They will end up killing someone, and then what??? We cry after the fact. They need to be reorganized they need to be inspected constantly and they need to start bringing their policies of food manufacturing into safe guidelines or they need to be shut down!!!

I have attached some posts from their Facebook pages yesterday. All they are interested in is shutting me up, including telling me how big they are. I asked if that was a threat or an announcement that they are untouchable. There is a problem here. They have gone from animals to humans. If they were a person we would be looking at them as potential serial killers. But since they are a company they are getting away with a slap on the wrist and being allowed to lie. In January the FDA went after them for several issues and they responded with their usual everything is great rhetoric. The FDA responded with that won't work with us and you have 15 days to... There is a copy of that letter on the FDA site. This company is going to end up killing someone with their complete disregard of life. And they will at that time apologize for the people's loss and stand by they are 100% safe!!!

They are putting anything that save them money in the food. Antifreeze additives in the dog food, whatever they have in the jerky and now lead in the noodles they are selling in India. What is their response on one of the posts? "Oh that is in India not the US." So what that makes it better? People in India don't deserve to have safe food? Pets and Pet owners don't deserve to feel safe? The FDA is not making them pull the products as of yet. But if enough consumers make enough noise they will have no choice. And if it takes me leading the band then so be it. If someone becomes deathly ill on their food, if one more animal dies like my beautiful Maine Coon Cassie or ends up with lingering seizures like my girl Chia it is not going to be because I sat and did nothing!!!

Original review: June 14, 2015

I have put canned food on my dogs' dry food for years, as a treat. Today, I picked up a can of Purina gravy cravers lamb canned food by mistake. Normally I buy beef, and I didn't notice it until too late. Three hours after feeding my dogs, both were vomiting multiple times. They were with me, in the house, all day, because it was pouring rain out today. I am sure they didn't get into anything outside, and I don't use anything in the yard that would hurt them. I can only attribute the gastric problem to this new food. I have given them various brands of canned beef dog food over the years (they are 8 and 9 yrs old), with no problems. Something is not right with this canned food I bought today. I will be returning it to the store tomorrow and suggesting it be removed from the shelves. If this continues and I need to seek veterinary help, you will know.

Original review: June 10, 2015

After reading these review I decided I needed to post one as well. I recently purchased a large bag of Purina Kitten Chow. Noticed that one of my cats got sick... just thought it might have eaten too quickly or had a hairball. But then one after another they all began to vomit and have very yellow watery stools. I knew they didn't get into anything and could not figure out anything different that could have caused this till my husband said "it's got to be the food." I stopped feeding the food and went and got a new bag and the vomiting stopped. The stools are starting to get back to normal. I called Purina and told them I believe their food caused my cats/kittens to be sick. They asked for the UPC code and Mfg Code and Good till this date info but didn't seem shocked that this could happen or anything.

The lady I spoke with said she would pass information to department that handles but I have not heard a word from them. I did ask her if they wanted the food back to test to see if there was something wrong with it and she said no. I asked her if I should return to the store so they can pull the rest from their shelves and she replied "if you want." I did return the remaining bag to the store for a refund and let them know the food was bad. So now after seeing all these reviews I will never get this food for my cats/kittens again. I just hate to think what would have happened had I kept feeding this to them.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I was feeding my three cats Purina Indoor formula for cats. After a while they started throwing up. I didn't think much of it since two of my cats are over ten. Then my kitten started throwing up a yellow bile looking substance. My other cats would throw up either the food chunks or a white foam. It got to the point I just left my carpet cleaner out since it was an everyday occurrence. I was also noticing one of them was having a bloody stool in the litter box.

Last week I tried a new (non-Purina brand) cat food. NONE of them have had ANY issues of vomiting or bloody stool. On a hunch I Googled Purina making my cat ill and it came to this page. I was shocked. My cats experienced everything the other 1,000+ people did. I am so thankful I didn't lose any of my pets. How is this poison on the market still?

Original review: June 6, 2015

I fed my dog Purina Pro Plan chicken for small dogs. My dog is a 7-month old healthy poodle. A few hours after eating, she became very lethargic, stumbling and refusing to drink water, or walk. An overnight visit to the vet ruled out diabetes or seizures. The vet thinks it was an external source that caused this. We didn't figure it out until we brought our dog home and we were going to feed her and found bugs in the sealed container of food. I thought it was just a one time thing until I went online and found others. I will be pursuing Purina for the 350 dollars that I spent at the vet.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I started buying fancy feast coz my cat has lost some of his teeth so I figured, I'll get him can food. So I noticed right after feeding him the food he was acting strange, like have small seizures but I'm like no way. But I gave him another can that evening and the same thing happened, so I threw away all the cans I had and I will never buy that product again. I think it needs removed from shelves NOW!!! I love my cat so much and I will not lose him over bad cat food.

Original review: June 4, 2015

In the past month I have been finding greenish-blackish particles in the Friskies pat. I have found them in 3 cans of poultry platter, one can of liver & chicken, and one can of country style dinner. I have taken photos of everything I've found as well as saving the particles and the cans they came from. I have 15 more cans from the same lot. I have reported it to the FDA and got no response from them. I reported it to Purina. They sent me coupons for free cans and they also sent mailers so I could mail the particles in for testing. They told me it will take 6 to 8 weeks for results. In my opinion there needs to be a recall on this food. It is polluted with God knows what. I know that I will not be feeding Friskies anymore.

Original review: June 1, 2015

I ran out of my regular dog food, and as I live in a rural area, I didn't have the time to run into the big city and buy it. So I bought a little bag of Purina Dog Chow at the local store. I dished up a bowl of it at lunchtime. When I got home from work, there was diarrhea all over the house! My dog had only eaten a couple bites and had diarrhea within 4 hours! Her diarrhea was mucousy and bloody. And it took a couple days to clear, even without any more Purina! I'm just happy she only took a couple bites!! Is it the food coloring?

Original review: May 31, 2015

I got my now 13-week old Labrador Retriever almost a month ago. As soon as we picked her up, we headed straight to Petsmart so we could get a small bag of food until I went grocery shopping on Friday and did our usual round of food pick up for my animals. I have a passel of cats and now our dog. I picked up a bag of Purina Healthy Morsels Puppy food for my dog. Since I've never had a dog before, I had no idea what I was doing. I should've known better after feeding that junk, almost killed one of my cats as well.

Our first week home, she ate pretty ravenously. She's a puppy and that's generally what they do. Three days after we brought her home, she starts vomiting EVERYWHERE. Explosive diarrhea EVERYWHERE. It was just liquid pouring out of her on both ends. We rush her to the vet on Mother's Day (not even a whole week since we brought her home!) and they diagnosed her with garbage gut. I didn't buy it, but whatever. They sent us home with some Reglan, some antibiotics and some prescription food to see if she'll come around and eat it.

The next day, she had eaten two tablespoons of food in 24 hours. She was weak, still vomiting and still having diarrhea. Her vet thought she might have had a blockage but when they opened her up, there was no blockage. But for three days, she was on IV fluids because she would not eat, and could barely move. Because of my vet's know-how and my quick action, my poor little puppy lived. But these monsters almost KILLED her. We have since switched to Iams and Blue Buffalo. I will NEVER, EVER feed my animals Purina products again. Not EVER. I firmly believe it was the food that did this to her, and I know for a FACT that my vet said my cat's old food (Friskies) caused my cat's urethra to block. Since switching to Hill's for him, no issues whatsoever. Something sincerely needs to be done about what Purina is doing. They are literally getting away with genocide and no one is doing anything about it!

Original review: May 31, 2015

My cat was healthy and happy for a long time. However, this year I noticed a change in behavior. My girl Jazzy, has only ate Cat Chow complete dry food her entire adult life. One time the store was out of the "complete" and I picked up the Purina Cat Chow Indoor green bag. She ate one time & never touched again so immediately back to the complete it was for her. In the past year or so I started seeing shredded portions of the crunchies left in her bowl. She started throwing up frequently and she began drinking what seemed like a ton of water daily. Then the weight loss kicked in. I brought her in for testing and her bilirubin was up & liver failure had begun.

After a 3 wk fight to "reverse the damage" it was apparent I was way too late and nothing more could be done. She was 17 and just put to rest yesterday, but I sincerely believe she was a cat that would have lived to her mid twenties! Could a change in the ingredients have caused this? I am heartbroken and feel horrible for feeding her this killer food -- as I just starting searching on a whim. How can our Country let this happen? Purina needs to be accountable for the poisoning they are inflicting on our fur babies so their pockets can grow!

Original review: May 28, 2015

I have used Friskies wet cat food for over 25 years. I just received 2 cases from Amazon (I use subscribe and save) and my cats won't touch it. I noticed this about 5 days ago. My 3 cats of 6 years old and very healthy. One of them ate some of the food, the other two just kind of looked at it, then looked at me as if to say "What's this?" and proceeded to walk away from it. I thought if I changed the flavor from Milled Grill Pate to Turkey and Giblets Pate which they've always seemed to enjoy the most. Again, the same thing, but this time all 3 walked away from it after sniffing....I tried again the next day, Salmon Pate -- no go. THEY WILL NOT EAT IT. The one cat who ate it is not chattering constantly, drooling, and when I found him sleeping so sounding, I literally almost had to pick him up to awaken him.

I started looking online for answers. I have found MANY others describing these behaviors -- and some have lost their furry friends. I read that if 1159 are the last 4 digits of the code on the bottom of the cans that this SHOULD NOT be fed to our pets. BOTH of the boxes I've received are this code! (I opened the second to try this morning and they walked away). I've learned from my research that this is a plant in Allentown, PA, and found that a VERY DETAILED warning was issued to them in how they processed food there for both cats and dogs. It seems there should be a recall.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I was feeding my three month old American bull dog Purina pro plan savor shredded blend when I noticed what appears to be spider webs in his puppy food. I am feeding the dry dog food, I wondered why my dog who is only 3 months doesn't seem to be so active. Now I am scared, called Pet Smart wanted a refund. They are no help at all. I'm calling tomorrow to speak to store manager and I've spent almost $45.00 on this dog food and I will be taking Buddy to vet tomorrow as well.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I had been giving my cats Pro Plan dry but after my five year old Holly got sick I stopped. I don't know if it was the food or a coincidence but I didn't want to risk it. I only give them Friskies pate and Fancy Feast classic. Neither has wheat flour or gluten in them. Both can cause vomiting and bloated belly. Even diarrhea. Holly has no more problems. My girls aren't diabetic but pate foods are good for diabetes. Also, dairy and whey can cause problems. Read labels carefully.

Original review: May 26, 2015

This product has caused severe gas problems with my cats. I don't mean the smell kind of gas. It's the kind that causes excruciating abdominal pain. I've had to have one cat euthanized because, as a senior feline, she couldn't handle the side effects (bloating, terrible pain, weight loss, vomiting). Today I took one of my remaining cats to the vet because he was showing the same symptoms. They had to take x-rays which showed the same problems with gas as my late kitty. I will never again purchase Purina products. It has now cost me a beloved family member and close to $2000 not including the inflated price of the food!

Original review: May 26, 2015

We have a 3 month old puppy, Mazy, and a 3 year old dog, Astro. Astro vomited a few times, but thought it was excitement of the new puppy and moving. Mazy got into Astro's food which resulted in diarrhea and vomiting, but the vet thought it was the change in diet. A diet of chicken and rice and both dogs were great. We slowly reintroduced their food. Mazy, being on Iams puppy food, was great. Astro started vomiting again. We are now certain it was the Purina Beyond Tuna and Egg dog food. Hindsight is 20/20 and now it seems so obvious.

Original review: May 25, 2015

I purchased a bag of Purina Beneful Healthy Weight for my 4 dogs, the smallest, 5lb Coco ate a bowl of the food. The following day after eating a treat she threw up, that day she would not eat the food. The next day a made chicken with veggies and brown rice. She ate in small quantities but stopped and then I tried just plain chicken. She also ate small quantities but stopped eating it after a couple of days. At the end of the week she did not look good so I took her to the Vet. Blood test revealed she was had kidney failure and her pancreas was not working. She was put on IV fluids, antibiotics and a stomach medicine.

Thru the weekend she got worse, she could not hold her up straight and could hardly stand. Sunday morning I made the decision and had her euthanized. Sunday night I was still racking my brain on how this started, and the more I think about it, she was fine until the night she ate Purina Beneful dog food. The following day is when this began. Myself and my family are thoroughly distraught about this situation, I can't stop thinking about it. After reading several posts here and Facebook I am 100% Purina Beneful caused this and I will have the food tested if I can.

Original review: May 16, 2015

Two days ago I switched my cat food to Purina cat food for healthy urinary tract. My cat was vomiting a little, but this very common when one switch cat food. She was only 6 years old and a very healthy cat. My cats didn't like the food, but they ate some. Today I found my young cat dead. It could be a coincidence, but I found it very strange. I want to do an autopsy, but its about $2000 and I cant afford that. I am very frustrated and I am looking for answers. What happened to my babe?

Original review: May 16, 2015

PURINA IS KILLING DOGS!!! I took my dog Louie to the vet when he stared to gain weight the vet said he was fine, I just needed to change his diet and get him some exercise. I also told him he was eating clothing. He said some dogs just do that. I looked up and couldn't find any real reason. So I started walking him more and changed his dog food to Purina One. He gained more weight and was bloated all the time and no matter how we tried to keep him away from eating clothing he would always find a way to eat some.

We had changed dog food not knowing about the problems with Purina but it was too late. In the end he was drinking a lot of water, he starting urinating, vomiting and had shortness of breath. We took him to the vet and he said he had diabetes and his blood count was very bad. He said there was nothing we could do. Louie died 17 hours later on March 17th, 2015. He was only eight years old. We just discovered PURINA IS KILLING THOUSANDS OF DOGS. We have two dogs, it only affected Louie. DON'T FEED PURINA!!! There is a lawsuit against Purina.

Original review: May 16, 2015

We have feed our orange tabby cat oats Purina kitten and cat chow complete since we have had him. He is 7 months old and should have ABSOLUTELY NO HEALTH PROBLEM!!! Last night we noticed he was acting weird, not waiting to be touched which is not like him at all. He is very loving and sweet. We rush him the vet clinic and we discover at 7 months a perfectly healthy cat has develop mega colon. Now we're going to be out of all our bills. Just because the cat food we have fed caused his colon to enlarge and him not to be able to use the bathroom. Purina is poison and I will never buy it again!!!

Original review: May 14, 2015

I bought it for my dog and he has skin allergies and got sick from it, from the food. I hate the food and I will never buy it again.

Original review: May 14, 2015

On April 16th I bought a large bag of Purina Cat Chow to feed the housed rescued cats that live in my garage and the outdoor wild cats. The indoor garaged cats have had no contact with my indoor housed cats or outside wild cats. Unfortunately, 3 days ago I noticed yellow vomit, diarrhea and 4 dead cats 10 months old or younger in my garage. Yesterday, 4 more cats were also found dead in my garage of the same age. Only 2 adult (greater than 2 year old) cats remain in my garage. Unfortunately, they do not look well. I have noticed several moths in the garage, presumably from the cat food housed in my garage. I have a large garage to house these rescues. I attend to them daily, changing their litter twice per day and monitoring their health and food intake. These cats have been in my garage for 10 months or longer without outside contact.

My indoor cats are perfectly healthy, but they are fed a higher quality of food. In fact, I took in another rescue mama that has 4 week old kittens in my house and seems to be perfectly healthy. Based on this observation, I can only conclude that Purina Cat Chow is responsible for the death of these 8 cats. The outside wild cats have all disappeared with the exception of two older ones. I am concerned that they have suffered the same fate. I realize that these are very harsh statements but something is going on. I believe the only source of the poison for these garaged cats and the disappearance of the outside cats must be the cat food. Purina, please investigate this horrific tale. I use a container to house my food so that bugs don't get into it in my garage. I do not have the bag any longer, but it was bought at Sam's Club April 16th, 2015 in Ontario, California.

Original review: May 10, 2015

Got Purina Beyond Tuna and Egg dog food in May 2015. After a week mini pin started throwing up for 2 days then diarrhea for 3 days foul smelling. Now have him on rice water and rice for 24 hrs and seems to be getting better but now other dog a beagle is have same symptoms. Will start rice water next meal. Would not recommend buying this food.

Original review: May 10, 2015

I bought a box of Friskies Dry Food Kitten for my husband to feed the cats. As I was going away I bought the full box of 10 x 1 kg boxes. Well I came home and found dead bugs around the box. Opened one of the boxes into a plastic bag and I found bugs by the next morning there were more and more. I feed my cats at night so I would not of the seen them. 40 boxes all in the bin. Total waste of money. After reading the other complaints I binned the lot and will boycott all Purina products. I have photos and videos too.

Original review: May 10, 2015

We recently lost our 4 year old cat Gizmo-kitty. He also started vomiting foam and yellow bile. I thought it was a hairball problem for some time until he started throwing up the yellow bile and became very lethargic. It happened very quickly, he was ill over the weekend, took him to the vet on Monday and by then his ears had lost all their color. The vet said he had severe anemia, they put him on steroids, but we had to have him put down a few days later, as his body was attacking itself. The vet said it was genetic.

About two months later our 1 year old kitten started the same symptoms. We immediately put him on steroids and began trying different foods. Just recently my son made me aware of an issue with Purina dog food, so we changed brands of food, as up until that point we had only changed kinds of food but stayed within the Purina brand. Orion our one year old kitten is just about back to himself again, praise God. But I can not believe what I was seeing when I found this website. It is completely unacceptable that this has gone on so long, and so many people have lost their loved ones. They need to be held accountable for what is happening.

Original review: May 9, 2015

I bought a bag the other day for the very first time, all three dogs are throwing up and have bloody mucus stools. This is not right Purina. You suck.

Original review: May 8, 2015

I have 3 cats, all their life I fed them Purina hard food. I gave them Cat Chow Indoor and all the fancy feast hard food. I noticed 1 cat throwing up all over the house every damn day & then the other 2 started... Please read what they use in the cat food! When I read what they were putting in our baby's food made me sick - guts, eyeballs, road kill animals of all kind, fish heads etc... OMG. How can they get away with this?? I wish the people that lost their baby's would take a class action against Purina! It has to stop. Please don't feed your cats & dogs any kind of Purina!!!

Original review: May 7, 2015

Purina Large dog food killing my Rottweiler. In September of 2014 I noticed my dog's breath was smelling like ammonia and she was wetting in her bed. She is 6 years old and she's never wet her bed in her life. Took her to the vet to find out what was going on and they have put her on high blood pressure medication. It is now May 2015. My dog is now losing weight. Her fur is dull and she does not look the same. I am so afraid that she will be dying because of this horrible terrible food Purina has out. Everyone in all the stores are buying this food and they are not taking it off the shelves. Shame on Purina from murdering our animals.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information