2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: March 2, 2015

We have 5 dogs, 3 are hunting dogs and have been being fed Purina Beneful & Dog Chow. Those 3 dogs have been having seizures every time they exert themselves when going out hunting or playing. They are not bred the same nor are the same age, the only thing they have in common is the food. We are changing immediately.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I have been feeding Purina Little Bites to my dogs for years. My dogs have had no problems and have lived up to 18 years. I have been noticing the food looks different now and starting to wonder maybe I should be concerned. So sorry to the ones who have lost precious family members. Purina please make quality your first priority.

Original review: March 2, 2015

My young dog (3 yrs.) has been refusing to eat. On two occasions, she threw up (clear and yellow). She will eat for a time, then refuse to eat. She refused the "large, round, yellow" piece of food. I switched from Healthy Weight to IncrediBites for variance. Now I am thinking it was the BENEFUL products!! After my calling Purina, I discovered that indeed some ingredients DO come to them from CHINA!!! I will discontinue using that product immediately!!!! Why are they using those ingredients???? When will we learn???? No to CHINA "shipped or made!" We must protect our children and our pets and ourselves!! SHAME ON PURINA!!

Original review: March 1, 2015

This is the second time in about 2-3 weeks that my 5 yr old English Lab has spent all night vomiting and in pain. I had to start feeding him Progresso Soup because I'm afraid of feeding him anything else. Is anyone else having this problem? My cats just started vomiting in the last 2-3 weeks on Purina One Smartblend chicken and turkey cat food. I don't understand. We've never had this problem before. Oh, all of this food is dry food and purchased from Walmart.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My precious cat Lynx, who was in excellent health, died this morning in my bedroom right in front of my eyes after suffering a brief seizure. Lynx did not have any symptom before collapsing on the floor, urinating and shaking violently for no more than 15 seconds. In checking the internet I came across a review posted Feb 1, 2015 from Perrysburg OH (I live in Frazeyburg, OH) regarding Friskies Ocean Whitefish and Tuna being toxic (batch to be used before Nov 2016). I feed Lynx Friskies "With Tuna & Egg" this morning (Best By: Dec 2016 43641161 L44371059). I don't know if this is just a coincidence or what, but my cat is very dead and I really want answers. Hopefully, if there is a batch of toxic cat food still out there, someone needs to do something.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 1, 2015

Purina Cat Food Complete - I bought Purina Cat Food about 2 months ago. I had no problem. Now this bag I just got has made my cat sick and throwing up and my dog sometimes gets a couple of bites and on Friday she got sick. There is something wrong with this food.

Original review: March 1, 2015

I fed my dog, Trooper, who was 10+ years old. I gave him Purina One Lamb and Rice. Within 2 weeks, he died. He kept walking into the walls as if he didn't see the wall there. The ER doctor thought he had brain cancer due to the dog food I was giving him. My dog stopped eating and could not drink water, even though he was thirsty. Although, he stayed at ER for two days and rallied. He died in his sleep. The cost of this highly specialized hospitalization cost $1600 and it has been 2 years since his death. I've been paying in payments which has caused me a hardship financially. I didn't see the styrofoam, which was the same red coloring as the lamb bits. There were bits of styrofoam in the bag, instead of bits of lamb.

Original review: March 1, 2015

My Yorkshire terrier's diet was changed, after years of being on a much better dog food. Not by my choice. Shortly after the change, she was throwing up, often had occasional diarrhea. Then a small tumor appeared near one of her nipples. Not thinking it might be the food at this time because Purina surely made a good dog food that could not make dogs... well I thought so at the time. When we took her to the vet, he said it appeared to be "just fatty type cysts that dogs can get." So even though it grew a little, I didn't worry coz the vet should know what he was saying.

Well she was continued on the Purina one lamb and rice for up to almost 1 year. The cysts grew bigger than a thumb, then one night she had seizures all night and until I brought her to the vet. This was the worst day of my life so far. I found out from a different vet, she had breast cancer, it metastases (sp) to her brain. She had cancer in all her body. I had to help my best friend over the rainbow bridge that day. The vet asked what she had been fed. I told her about the change in feed and how in the week she had been different. She stated she had seen other dogs recently on the same food having similar issues. WHAT!

Recently I find out my parents dogs are on this same food, for over 2 years. Their little dogs have the same skin irritations, dull coat, and horrible breath (I forgot to mention above), along with a small tumor on one dog. We are going to take them to the vet next week. I blame Purina and I just can't tell you everything in this small box, but don't feed this crap to your pets. It's awful! I miss my little girl best friend!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My dog began eating Purina Heathy Weight at the age of 5. When he started eating it, he would always throw up. I put him on the food so that he could lose some weight. I thought he was throwing up because he was eating too fast. Eventually he adjusted to the food. A couple years later, during routine yearly blood work, it came back that my dog's liver values were increasing beyond what was normal. Justus ate the food for approximately 5 years. Each year his liver values increased more and more. Approximately a year and a half ago I switched my dog to another food after reading the reviews about how Healthy Weight is causing liver issues with other dogs. My dog is now on a daily pill that he takes in order to combat his failing liver. The damage has been done, and I am furious to find out that Purina has been using a controversial ingredient in many of their dog food varieties.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

Today has been a bad day, my kids are devastated. They want to know why Sheba died. Well I don’t know. Sheba was healthy. She was fine at 7am when I fed her half can of soft food and dry Purina. She went to the back room like always to take a nap. Me and my dad was getting ready to go to the store and that’s when he yelled “Gina oh my god. No. No.” So I ran to the back room, my baby was just laying there, at first I thought she was sleeping, because when Sheba gets done from eating she’s content, and full. But Sheba wasn’t sleeping. Sheba died. I will never get this vision out of my head. My baby’s eyes was rolled half way to the back of her head, she was so stiff, but her body was still warm. This hurts so bad.

My kids are so devastated and they keep asking me why DID Sheba die mom, but I can’t give my kids a answer because I don’t know. All I know is Sheba was healthy, and Sheba was fine and was walking around after she got done eating around 7:30. And like any other day, Sheba went to the back room to sleep. I don’t understand why, so I will warn everybody. Don’t feed your pets any Purina foods. Don’t become one of us. You don’t want your children going through any of it. My kids are so hurt. Why does my kids have to go through this. They recently lost their grandma, and now their cat. My kids grew up with Sheba.

My kids keep asking me why DID she die. What do I tell my kids? I don’t want to hurt my kids anymore than what they are, so this needs to be fixed so this doesn’t happen to anymore kids. Please fix this and I mean asap. Don’t let anymore pets suffer. Please do something, asap. Our pets don’t deserve to die. You murder my cat, and you are murdering other people’s pets too. God please do something. Hate all of these. Pets die. Somebody needs all of this. Nobody else needs to go through this like my kids DID so fix it!!! Sheba was warm and stiff why.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

My cat has been healthy without any illness whatsoever and tonight I walked in to her laying on the ground, she is no longer with me. My heart is broken and I'm searching for answers. I did feed her Purina and am wondering how I go about checking to see if this food poisoned her??

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My cat Mercy 17 year old was feed Purina cat chow for her entire life, indoor cat healthy except for hairball vomiting so I thought, and occasional diarrhea. One day I noted her stool was liquid frank red blood. Otherwise she seemed ok, but just weeks earlier I had to take her to the vet for seizures, dehydration, renal failure and unexplained acute blindness. The vet didn't give her a good prognosis to recover. Me being a ICU RN and stubborn, spent 3 grand and insisted that they do everything they could and she spent 8 days in the hospital, then still on fluids and still blind I brought her home with an IV to continue her on fluids and anti-seizure meds and purchased a baby crib to keep her in so she could walk around without walking into walls and furniture since she couldn't see.

After about a week or so she regained her vision and her seizures stopped, and I took her back to the vet for a follow up. The vet said she was a miracle cat to recover as she did. I still didn't put two and two together. Like I said before a few weeks went by and then the bloody stool began, by that time I had no money to take her back to the vet, and had to make the hardest decision of my life and put her down. I still regret it today; she still visits me in my dreams from time to time. I promised her I would never leave her and I broke that promise to her when I took her in to be put down.

Now I know it was the diet I had her on. I also had another cat who suddenly die at age 3 on the same diet, indoor too, the vet said he had a bowel blockage and it was complicated by probably some form of poisoning? But how, I never figured it out until now, he too ate the same food. Now, I have a cat indoor, who has been eating Purina cat chow complete dry food, she has this 24/7 and I give her a tablespoon of Friskies savory shreds as a soft treat every night at 8pm, and have noticed that she has been having some strange things going on like, vomiting frothy like vomitus, and has been having facial twitching. Also, in the last couple of weeks she has been sneezing a lot and I noticed that she has had blood coming out of her right nares twice, at first I thought it may had been due to her running into the window or something but I'm not so sure now.

I saw another review about someone reporting some problem with can Friskies to the FDA and they told that person to NOT feed their cat any food with the last 4 numbers on the bottom of the can that read (1159). And guess what, all of my wet can are 1159! And my dry food as stated before is Purina Cat chow complete. I'm freaked out, and I'm wondering if the FDA is being paid to keep these products on the shelves or what? But I won’t use anything by Purina or Nestle again I can guarantee that, no matter what it is cat food or human products!!!! I will keep all the can and dry food in my possession for proof if a class action suit is filed in the future, because this has to stop!!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I have two dogs and I have always been very healthy. I have always fed them kibbles and bits. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that they haven't been eating their food then I started noticing throw up in the backyard. I switched to a different flavor of kibbles and bits but the same thing happened. I switched brands and they seem to be fine. However I'm going to take them to the vet to have them checked out.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

Early November, I noticed Purina Beneful on sale at my local supermarket. It seemed like a better alternative and advertised itself as a healthy dog food. I purchased 2 different types as they were on bogo sale. The Incredibites brand and another mix variety I can't recall. About a week after I exposed my dog to this food, she became so sick. She was throwing up everything, even liquid she didn't have in her. She became dehydrated and lethargic and was near death. Between 2 vet visits in the course of 3 days, I did some research on my own and discovered food allergies in dogs. I immediately went out and purchased wet and dry pedigree (our normal brand).

The whole time she was sick, she wanted to eat the Beneful food because she was starving but would turn away from it, I know now she even knew it wasn't good for her. When I returned home with the pedigree, she ate like she had never ate before. She was still weak and a little disoriented but she began to make a full recovery after about a week of being away from the Beneful.

I have tried contacting Purina, and they just delete my comments and refuse to address the situation. I still have the Beneful in storage containers as I planned to donate it (I don't like wasting anything) but now that I know it's toxic poison, I wouldn't feed it to any animal. I am also responsible for a 400 dollar vet bill that will take me quite some time to pay off. What a disgrace this company is. First, selling this garbage, but also not taking responsibility for their actions.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I just received a sample of chicken flavored dry dog food Beyond. I realize that "Beyond" is not the latest recall in the news from Purina, but it's a bit distasteful as this was recalled within the past few months and you are once again on the recall list for deadly chemicals and related deaths in another line of your brand. My veterinarian has reviewed the ingredients and I can't believe that anyone with knowledge of what they are would feed this to their dogs. I am appalled that I received this and wish to be taken off of your mailing list.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I was feeding all 3 of my dogs this food and they all loved it. My 6 lb Pomeranian stopped eating very well but I did not notice or take it too seriously. She had hurt her leg and was limping so I took her to my vet and they said she needed to have surgery on it. The vet at that time was Care at the Courtyard vet. The cost that they quoted me was pretty high so I went to another vet for a second opinion. I went to Lone Oak Veterinary hospital. They were going to be cheaper so I scheduled the appointment for the surgery. The day of the surgery I had taken her in and once I got home I soon had a call from the vet telling me her liver count was way high. Well no surgery but treatment for the liver problem.

After a couple of months of treatment including special food for dogs with liver problems, she was back to normal liver count. So as I had run out of the special food I let her start eating the Purina healthy weight dog food again. When I went back for a final check, the liver count was back up real high. Right away put her back on the special food and after a week her liver count was back to normal. The only thing I did that was different from her treatment was take her off the Purina healthy weight dog food, and then she was okay again. It had to be the dog food. I immediately took all 3 of my dogs off the Purina food.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

My adult cat died in late September 2014. He died from liver failure and was bleeding from his nose. I never gave it a thought to why this had happened until recently. Over the past 2 months my other 2 cats have been vomiting all the time. Within the past 4 weeks my 4 year old cat was not only vomiting non stop - she had started to gag and foam at the mouth. I took her to the vet and they said she had a bacterial infection and put her on antibiotics.

In the past 2 weeks my 5 year old Persian started doing the exact same thing so I took her to the vet. She was very dehydrated and they gave her fluids and antibiotics. She was feeling a bit better. Then she started to vomit blood. Took her to the vet again. After doing some research on food I came across all the complaints. I stopped all Purina products. The products they were eating were Purina one salmon and tuna and also were given fancy feast. They need to take this more seriously. I'm very angry!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I have lost three of my fur babies in the last year: one was a basset hound, one was a great pyrenees puppy and one was a shih tzu. They got the vomiting, lost a lot of weight, had a bad smell. They ended up dying. I have changed brands of food, figured out the dog food I was feeding them had actually killed them. The dog food company should be liable for the deaths of my babies.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

On January 31, 2015 I bought Purina One Active Maturity cat food. I was thought since both of my cats were over 7 that this might be a good food to feed them. I switched from IAMS. I had a healthy and active vibrant cat who drastically lost weight - in less than 30 days she was gone. I noticed she had lost weight a week before she died and had planned to take her to vet but she died before I could get her there. This cat was full of life and vigor and was strong and active, sure she was 12 but she was HEALTHY. I also noticed my 7 year old cat was losing weight but she had a few pounds to spare so I did not think anything of it.

My cat died on Monday morning 23 days after eating the cat food. There is no explanation for what could have happened to her. The morning she died for whatever reason I Googled Purina One linked to cat deaths and I found this site here. I was very upset so I emailed the company. They had a lady call and tell me nothing was wrong with their product and because I didn't want to argue I let her talk to me in her condescending way. She said that since I don't have the bag and only the receipt they couldn't research my claim and then she asked me what they could do to make me happy. I told her she can't give me my cat back and that I think they have the social and moral responsibility to take a look at their products and she claimed my complaint doesn't fall on deaf ears. Our cat is gone but she is not forgotten and we are haunted by the notion that we paid for the cat food that we feel within our hearts killed our cat.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My cat shoupou has caught virus or epileptic disease from Purina. On Monday 23 02 2015 we had to go to the vet and she said the cat was poisoned. The cat was doing the same thing the person are talking on Facebook and Twitter. So my son is real sad and he needs you to tell the world if something wrong. I think you have to respond to **. If no response from you you hear from me again for sure or a lawyer, thanks to you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Switched from some store brand I used for my other dogs. No problems but rescued a Rott mix and he was sick all the time. Switched to Purina Pro Plan Dry Dog Food... for sensitive stomach. Been better for 5 years. Try if your dog has problems.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

After reading some of the comments, I'm extremely concerned! My cat is under going treatment for either a liver or kidney infection (the vet is unsure where the infection is coming from), high fevers, low appetite, etc. She is only 3 years old and was completely healthy until we started feeding her the Purina One cat food! In a matter of days, her vet bill has gone over $1000, she is our baby though and we want her healthy! This makes me sick to my stomach to read these comments, especially after the vet said it was ok for her to continue eating this food!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My dog is ill... whining when she moves... no energy and picks pieces out of the bowl. Now I know!!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My cat got sick after feeding Friskies dry food. Dehydrated, loose bowels, vomiting, after 10 days she died in my arms. What could of possibly have caused this? What is in the food? I believe in Purina - my dogs eat Purina One. Please help me understand... Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My dog has been vomiting last two days. When I stopped feeding her the dog food she seemed better. As a consumer I am so upset and will never buy this product again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

Goofy is a 5 years old mix pit bull/American bulldog. It was a goofy dog. On Christmas day he vomit blood for first time. On 12/30/2014 was gasping for oxygen around 6am. I took him to the vet and he treat him for allergies. All his body have bump prescribe antibiotic and gave him a shot for itching. But Goofy it got worse then took him back and he prescribe two antibiotic it Goofy refused to take it. I took him to another vet and he told me, "I never see nothing like this. You better put him to sleep." I was agreed to do it, but then change my mind and took him back home.

Later that day I called the vet, and I asked if he can give Goofy a antibiotic shot and do a x-ray. I went back Tuesday 2/24/15 inside his mouth have sores and his intestines are almost closed for the inflammation and sores in his stomach. He is very sick. He look like rescue dog. He is my baby. Look his picture before and after. I wish he can get better. He continue with diarrhea, loss appetite 5 years eating Purina chow dog. Please said a pray for Goofy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

We have cats at home, as well as take care of stray cat colonies (TNR) in our community. For our colonies, we use cheap brands such as Friskies to be able to afford to keep the kitties fed and "healthy". I have a male cat, 7 years old, formerly a street cat, who loves Friskies dry food. We would always let him eat a bit when we prepare the food for our stray colonies, but we try to keep it to a minimum because over the past two years, he would throw up each and every kibble that was not a better quality brand.

We thought it might have been a food allergy or maybe he was eating too fast - bottom line, we didn't think much of it till January 30, 2015. My husband let our cats "steal" some Friskies snacks, including our male cat. As usual, the vomiting followed, but instead of one pile, there were more. Later, we would discover similar vomit piles at our stray cat colony fed from the same batch of dry kibbles. There was also diarrhea of a darker color. My cat would not eat that night.

The following day, my cat was hiding, he seemed spaced out, he was not himself. He stared at the wall, wide eyed, following things that just weren't there. He would not eat, but he would try to drink water - nonstop. The emphasis on "trying", cause at time he would only hover over the bowl till his chin dipped into the water. Something was up. Naturally, we thought of a urinary tract issue and we took him to the emergency vet. The bladder was empty and seemed alright. Blood work seemed still alright with a few things not pointing into any particular direction such as pancreatitis and so on. The Total Bilirubin was elevated (1.9, normal 0-0.9) and so was the Glucose. The vet noticed that my cat seemed to have abdominal pain. X-rays were normal.

We got something for inflammation and nausea and were send home for the time being. The following day, he still wouldn't eat although we bought and opened up any cat food we could find in the stores (Oh the irony when he vet suggested to let him eat the cheap stuff if he likes it so much so that he gets the calories from it). We had to start force-feeding, but it was not enough. Jaundice set in. First day of February, we were back at the vet. This time, he had developed a high fever, 104.6. He got antibiotics, vitamins, appetite stimulants and so on. The white of his eyes started to yellow. Our vet was speechless. He has been treating our cat for many years now and he could not explain what was going on.

Did he eat something weird? Something poisonous? I didn't think so, just cat food. He is indoor only. See, when large cats lose appetite for whatever reason, if they don't eat, the liver starts to fail doing its job. We force-fed him with Royal Canin Babycat or Recovery (both are high in calories) as well as with a Calorie Booster. At day three of total loss of appetite, he was scheduled for a feeding tube. All night long, we tried relentlessly to get food into him to avoid the procedure. Then, thank lord, somewhere early in the morning, he walked to his food bowl and started to eat. Recovery was slow and but he seems to be doing fine now.

I thought I would lose my cat. You see, I am not that kind person jumping to conclusions. Anything could have caused whatever was going on with my cat. I buy high quality food for my cats because I am suspicious of the many "ingredients and supplements" of cheap brands that buy their goods from Asian countries with laughable laws in regards to the environment, safety and any other health concern. Yet, I find it highly suspicious of reading very similar stories of pets that are lethargic, feverish, vomit, and have diarrhea after eating Purina Pet food. Pets that are in need of emergency care after a meal. We will no longer buy any Purina pet food product (not even for the TNR projects), till this will be sorted out in the lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I bought the Beneful from Petco and just picked up some from Sams club. Now my dogs both have bloody diarrhea, uncontrollable. Not only is my dog sick, finally somewhat recovering, my carpet is totaled from all the dog diarrhea. Nothing is like was waking up to puddles of dog crap.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I have a jack russel-pug and chihuahua and have been feeding them Purina One lamb and rice for several years. The jack pug mix has some stomach issues or so I thought. For a few years, at least 3x a week she will come out in the morning for her food, walk over to the dish, smell it and walk away. She will eat later in the evening on these occasions but she usually throws the food back up shortly after she eats it. On these occasions she has trouble going to the bathroom.

A little over a year ago she had some instances of blood in her stool (each time a 500 vet bill with no conclusion). A few months ago she had a seizure, my husband had to carry her in from her walk. She could not control her limbs. The chihuahua has some food issues every 6 weeks or so, where he won't eat (and he is a CHOW hound) and when he does he will throw up after eating. The jack mix is 9 years old and has suffered 3 terrifying seizures,. The vet told us it is rare for dogs to start having seizures at her age.

Once the Beneful stories started to circulate I decided to switch to a different food on the off chance it might be the food! All I can say is I switched to a brand by Rachael Ray (the main reason I choose it was because it only lists 6 ingredients, no by-products, filler, soy, corn or wheat.) She runs to her dish in the morning (she has not done this since she was a puppy) - she eats all her food every morning, her bowel movements are normal and she has not thrown up in 2 weeks. I feel guilty for not figuring this out sooner. I trusted Purina but then again I used to trust human food too. Bottom line shame on big business period, after all they feed us poison why should I expect better for our pets!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

I've been wondering why my dog has been vomiting every night for the past 2 weeks. Now I finally have an answer, Purina food poisoning!! We already spent hundreds of dollars at the vet for x-rays and medication. I'm really not impressed with Purina right now, hopefully my dog starts feeling better soon.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information