2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2015

The consequences are we have now lost two cats due to this awful nasty food. These two cats were doing fine before eating this and then not, 2 days are not eating, getting sickly, not going to the bathroom, and then sadly having to now put down the second kitty due to this. This needs to be investigated ASAP, animals are dying due this so called food and I am not the only one having this issue. Something needs to be done and SOON!!! IT WAS THE PURINA PRO PLAN NEW BRAND.

Original review: July 6, 2015

Moved in with a new roommate who already had a cat. My cat was eating another brand of food and was perfectly fine until I moved in and roommate and I split a purchase of the 25 lb bag of Purina Complete Cat Chow from local Sam's Club in St. Petersburg, FL. Now both cats are repeatedly ill and throwing up after eating this food. Terrible! Will never buy this brand again!

Original review: July 4, 2015

I bought my li'l Oscar some Purina puppy chow. It made him so sick, he was vomiting and had diarrhea so bad we thought he had Parvo but come to find out it was this dog food I just bought. He only had very little and he got so sick. I had to force fluids down him all night to keep him from dehydration. I'm so upset they damn near killed my baby. If he was human they would have a lawsuit but he is just a dog.. Well, he isn't to me and my life was turned upside down for three long days. Not to mention the pain he was in and the worry and stress me and my daughter went through. Purina, you should be closed down. I'm so upset and terrified to feed my baby any dog food. I'm going to seek damages and reimbursement for the damages you have done to us. You need to eat your product and go through what he went through.

Original review: June 29, 2015

My male cat had crystals in the urine & almost died a painful death. This cat food was the right one that he would eat. He had a $1400 surgery to save his life. This is a PATE, not something with gravy & is now diluted with much water. More food is needed. This is unacceptable. I will have to order 4 cases instead of 3 because of their greed -- something I cannot afford. Shame on them.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I am disappointed in the fact that you have changed the packaging from a recyclable product (cardboard boxes) to plastic at a time when the world's landfill rubbish dumps are full of plastics that don't degrade. Also my pet refuses to eat the new dry food. He used to love the cheese flavoured one. I have now got to purchase Whiskers and hope that I can find a flavour that will suit my pet's fussy taste. Thank you for feeding my pets for the past 20 years and it is with regret that I am no longer a satisfied customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: June 28, 2015

I have been feeding my dogs Purina Lamb and Rice for several years. This last week with this new formula, my chihuahua nine years old and my lab Shepherd mix, one year old both suffered complications from eating this food, as I gave them nothing else. The chihuahua had to be taken in to emergency for dehydration and put on intravenous fluids for two days along with receiving antibiotics for a now kidney infection, the lab also had diarrhea and vomited, and I now have been having to cook them a very bland diet which consist of home boiled chicken and rice and some veggies. The vet bill was over $700.00 and I can only confirm that this happened because of the food they were eating. The puppy did not get sick as he was eating only puppy food. But the other two who only ate the Purina Lamb and Rice formula did get sick.

Original review: June 28, 2015

One of my dogs needed to lose a few pounds, so I took some time to look at some lower calorie product offerings. One was Purina Light & Healthy, which proudly announced it was made "with real chicken" on the front of the bag. As I always do, I turned the bag over to read the ingredients, which I believe are shown with the most prevalent ingredient first, and so on down the list. What an eye-opener!

Here are the first ten ingredients: Whole Grain Corn, Soybean Hulls, Soybean Meal, Meat & Bone Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Soybean Germ Meal, Corn Germ Meal, Egg & Chicken Flavor, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken. There is more Chicken Flavor than Chicken in Purina Light & Healthy! The average consumer would never suspect they were buying a product with "real chicken" as the tenth ingredient. Purina would be doing all pet owners a significant service if they would clearly display the first three ingredients on the front of the bag, instead of hiding it in small print on the back of the bag. Not just for their Light & Healthy, but for every one of their products.

Original review: June 27, 2015

I bought Purina dog chow for my English bulldog because he ran out of his regular dog food. And I need time to wait until payday to get his normal food Nutro. Well after fours days of this food my son and I wake up to finding our beloved dog dead. He has tried other foods in the past without a problem and after Purina he is dead!

Original review: June 25, 2015

I have a miniature schnauzer and she is 11 years old. She had started being very unsocial, lethargic and no brightness in her eyes. Saw your commercial and decided to try it. We could not believe it but we noticed a difference in her in just a few days. She has been on this food for about 3 weeks and what a difference. She has a light in her eyes and is starting to play with our other dog. I am thrilled with the results.

Original review: June 24, 2015

My cat throws up all dry food, so I started giving her Blue Wilderness canned wet food. She doesn't throw it up, but it's a pain because she wants to eat a little at a time, all day long. I saw the commercial for Cat Chow Gentle and I had her try it. It's great because she doesn't throw it up. But, suddenly I started noticing "skid marks" on the carpet around the litterbox. The food is making her poop thicker and stickier. She's a short haired cat, it's not sticking to her fur, it's sticking to her butt. So, now she's wiping her butt on our floors. I think I'm going to go back to the Blue Wilderness wet food. Feeding her a million times a day is a lot better than steam cleaning poop-skid-marks off the carpet every day.

Original review: June 24, 2015

I've had my kitty coming up on a year now. I'm not sure exactly how old she was, because she just kinda wandered up in my yard one day and I took her in, but she was a healthy cat for sure. She would hack up hairballs every now and again but nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, I started her on Friskies party mix crunch. I figured it's a nationally recognized brand and it sounded good. We gave her a few treats the first night we got them and when we woke up we found vomit on our carpet. I thought okay maybe she just ate too much and gorged herself. She was acting normal and loving all over us. The next day we gave her some more treats. Shortly after she started screaming and throwing up... Within 15 min of the crying she was dead... That's when I Googled their product for reviews and found a lot of people are having these issues... Something should be done. How do we get this off the shelf?! I want some kind of resolve!!!

Original review: June 22, 2015

My dog had his first seizure that lasted for 4 MINUTES after the VET gave him "temporary" dog food for his urinary stones after his operation. I AM APPALLED, DISGUSTED, and MAD! I asked them, did they KNOW that Purina has been linked to these reports of seizures??? They said NOTHING, except that it was just temporary dog food until the new brand arrives. I AM SICK TO MY STOMACH!

Original review: June 20, 2015

My daughter’s kitten was a Christmas gift, a 12 wk. $1800 Persian. I bought some Purina indoor cat food when the store was out of Max's regular food. Max started throwing up the same night & looked like he had the runs. This was Friday night 6/19/2015. Next day 6/20/2015 I found Max on the floor not moving but cried when he saw me. Rushed Max to vet right then. Turns out the runs was bloody stools, & the vet said Max was in shock & even at the ANIMAL HOSPITAL Max was dying & I should put him down. I am paying for the cause of Max's death on Monday. The food was good till Sept 2016. This kitten was my 6 YR. OLD'S Christmas gift. What am I going to tell my daughter?

Original review: June 20, 2015

I contacted Purina online CSR to let her know my dog's new feed so heavily advertised for dogs over 7 was something he (a dachshund who loves food) won't take more than 2 bites of, and his health started deteriorating. I asked for a refund (it was over $20 at Wal-Mart) and a recommendation of an alternative older dog food. As a 20+ year user of Purina for dogs and horses, I will NEVER buy their product again. She couldn't even remember if it was a cat or a dog, and it was in the first line. Like being grilled at the Nuremburg trial and after 30 min, with a bad heart, I had to get offline. My dog became lethargic, listless, and less alert on this food. And he's always been healthy and good to go. SHAME on Purina/Nestle.

Original review: June 17, 2015

This company sold and continues to sell Waggin Train Chicken Jerky and Canyon Creek Chicken Jerky AFTER hundreds of complaints about sick and dying pets. They pulled the items from shelves for a couple of months to let things die down and put them back in March of 2014. I called them they assured me that the removal from the shelves was self-imposed and their product was 100% safe. I fed them to my dog who loved them and she became ill. I did not connect it at first so when she recovered I gave her another one over several days, my oldest Cat would steal pieces of it. Well my dog became ill for several days and my cat ended up with kidney failure and was put to sleep in October.

A few months ago my dog took deathly ill and I spent a week on the floor with her spooning teaspoons of water into her mouth to keep her from becoming dehydrated. And sleeping on the floor with her (she is a Chihuahua) because she was taking seizures and I didn't want her to fall off the bed. When she recovered and I began feeding her the normal food she took ill again and had a relapse, I thought I would lose her. I finally figured out it was the dog food and stopped it. Yesterday I found out that Beneful (which was what I had been feeding her) was under recall. Seriously, and then yesterday they announced this same Brand, in India has recalled noodles because they have high levels of lead in them. They have antifreeze additive in the Beneful and whatever else in the Jerky.

This company has refused to remove the items from the shelves. Contact with them gets reduced to threats of blocking from facebook and announcements that they are the largest food company in the world. I asked them if that was a threat to me or an announcement that they are untouchable. They state they are 100% safe yet animals are sick and dying. Something needs to be done. They have graduated from careless disregard of manufacturing and processing practices of animal products to human food. They will end up killing someone, and then what??? We cry after the fact. They need to be reorganized they need to be inspected constantly and they need to start bringing their policies of food manufacturing into safe guidelines or they need to be shut down!!!

I have attached some posts from their Facebook pages yesterday. All they are interested in is shutting me up, including telling me how big they are. I asked if that was a threat or an announcement that they are untouchable. There is a problem here. They have gone from animals to humans. If they were a person we would be looking at them as potential serial killers. But since they are a company they are getting away with a slap on the wrist and being allowed to lie. In January the FDA went after them for several issues and they responded with their usual everything is great rhetoric. The FDA responded with that won't work with us and you have 15 days to... There is a copy of that letter on the FDA site. This company is going to end up killing someone with their complete disregard of life. And they will at that time apologize for the people's loss and stand by they are 100% safe!!!

They are putting anything that save them money in the food. Antifreeze additives in the dog food, whatever they have in the jerky and now lead in the noodles they are selling in India. What is their response on one of the posts? "Oh that is in India not the US." So what that makes it better? People in India don't deserve to have safe food? Pets and Pet owners don't deserve to feel safe? The FDA is not making them pull the products as of yet. But if enough consumers make enough noise they will have no choice. And if it takes me leading the band then so be it. If someone becomes deathly ill on their food, if one more animal dies like my beautiful Maine Coon Cassie or ends up with lingering seizures like my girl Chia it is not going to be because I sat and did nothing!!!

Original review: June 14, 2015

I have put canned food on my dogs' dry food for years, as a treat. Today, I picked up a can of Purina gravy cravers lamb canned food by mistake. Normally I buy beef, and I didn't notice it until too late. Three hours after feeding my dogs, both were vomiting multiple times. They were with me, in the house, all day, because it was pouring rain out today. I am sure they didn't get into anything outside, and I don't use anything in the yard that would hurt them. I can only attribute the gastric problem to this new food. I have given them various brands of canned beef dog food over the years (they are 8 and 9 yrs old), with no problems. Something is not right with this canned food I bought today. I will be returning it to the store tomorrow and suggesting it be removed from the shelves. If this continues and I need to seek veterinary help, you will know.

Original review: June 10, 2015

After reading these review I decided I needed to post one as well. I recently purchased a large bag of Purina Kitten Chow. Noticed that one of my cats got sick... just thought it might have eaten too quickly or had a hairball. But then one after another they all began to vomit and have very yellow watery stools. I knew they didn't get into anything and could not figure out anything different that could have caused this till my husband said "it's got to be the food." I stopped feeding the food and went and got a new bag and the vomiting stopped. The stools are starting to get back to normal. I called Purina and told them I believe their food caused my cats/kittens to be sick. They asked for the UPC code and Mfg Code and Good till this date info but didn't seem shocked that this could happen or anything.

The lady I spoke with said she would pass information to department that handles but I have not heard a word from them. I did ask her if they wanted the food back to test to see if there was something wrong with it and she said no. I asked her if I should return to the store so they can pull the rest from their shelves and she replied "if you want." I did return the remaining bag to the store for a refund and let them know the food was bad. So now after seeing all these reviews I will never get this food for my cats/kittens again. I just hate to think what would have happened had I kept feeding this to them.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I was feeding my three cats Purina Indoor formula for cats. After a while they started throwing up. I didn't think much of it since two of my cats are over ten. Then my kitten started throwing up a yellow bile looking substance. My other cats would throw up either the food chunks or a white foam. It got to the point I just left my carpet cleaner out since it was an everyday occurrence. I was also noticing one of them was having a bloody stool in the litter box.

Last week I tried a new (non-Purina brand) cat food. NONE of them have had ANY issues of vomiting or bloody stool. On a hunch I Googled Purina making my cat ill and it came to this page. I was shocked. My cats experienced everything the other 1,000+ people did. I am so thankful I didn't lose any of my pets. How is this poison on the market still?

Original review: June 6, 2015

I fed my dog Purina Pro Plan chicken for small dogs. My dog is a 7-month old healthy poodle. A few hours after eating, she became very lethargic, stumbling and refusing to drink water, or walk. An overnight visit to the vet ruled out diabetes or seizures. The vet thinks it was an external source that caused this. We didn't figure it out until we brought our dog home and we were going to feed her and found bugs in the sealed container of food. I thought it was just a one time thing until I went online and found others. I will be pursuing Purina for the 350 dollars that I spent at the vet.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I started buying fancy feast coz my cat has lost some of his teeth so I figured, I'll get him can food. So I noticed right after feeding him the food he was acting strange, like have small seizures but I'm like no way. But I gave him another can that evening and the same thing happened, so I threw away all the cans I had and I will never buy that product again. I think it needs removed from shelves NOW!!! I love my cat so much and I will not lose him over bad cat food.

Original review: June 4, 2015

In the past month I have been finding greenish-blackish particles in the Friskies pat. I have found them in 3 cans of poultry platter, one can of liver & chicken, and one can of country style dinner. I have taken photos of everything I've found as well as saving the particles and the cans they came from. I have 15 more cans from the same lot. I have reported it to the FDA and got no response from them. I reported it to Purina. They sent me coupons for free cans and they also sent mailers so I could mail the particles in for testing. They told me it will take 6 to 8 weeks for results. In my opinion there needs to be a recall on this food. It is polluted with God knows what. I know that I will not be feeding Friskies anymore.

Original review: June 1, 2015

I ran out of my regular dog food, and as I live in a rural area, I didn't have the time to run into the big city and buy it. So I bought a little bag of Purina Dog Chow at the local store. I dished up a bowl of it at lunchtime. When I got home from work, there was diarrhea all over the house! My dog had only eaten a couple bites and had diarrhea within 4 hours! Her diarrhea was mucousy and bloody. And it took a couple days to clear, even without any more Purina! I'm just happy she only took a couple bites!! Is it the food coloring?

Original review: May 31, 2015

I got my now 13-week old Labrador Retriever almost a month ago. As soon as we picked her up, we headed straight to Petsmart so we could get a small bag of food until I went grocery shopping on Friday and did our usual round of food pick up for my animals. I have a passel of cats and now our dog. I picked up a bag of Purina Healthy Morsels Puppy food for my dog. Since I've never had a dog before, I had no idea what I was doing. I should've known better after feeding that junk, almost killed one of my cats as well.

Our first week home, she ate pretty ravenously. She's a puppy and that's generally what they do. Three days after we brought her home, she starts vomiting EVERYWHERE. Explosive diarrhea EVERYWHERE. It was just liquid pouring out of her on both ends. We rush her to the vet on Mother's Day (not even a whole week since we brought her home!) and they diagnosed her with garbage gut. I didn't buy it, but whatever. They sent us home with some Reglan, some antibiotics and some prescription food to see if she'll come around and eat it.

The next day, she had eaten two tablespoons of food in 24 hours. She was weak, still vomiting and still having diarrhea. Her vet thought she might have had a blockage but when they opened her up, there was no blockage. But for three days, she was on IV fluids because she would not eat, and could barely move. Because of my vet's know-how and my quick action, my poor little puppy lived. But these monsters almost KILLED her. We have since switched to Iams and Blue Buffalo. I will NEVER, EVER feed my animals Purina products again. Not EVER. I firmly believe it was the food that did this to her, and I know for a FACT that my vet said my cat's old food (Friskies) caused my cat's urethra to block. Since switching to Hill's for him, no issues whatsoever. Something sincerely needs to be done about what Purina is doing. They are literally getting away with genocide and no one is doing anything about it!

Original review: May 31, 2015

My cat was healthy and happy for a long time. However, this year I noticed a change in behavior. My girl Jazzy, has only ate Cat Chow complete dry food her entire adult life. One time the store was out of the "complete" and I picked up the Purina Cat Chow Indoor green bag. She ate one time & never touched again so immediately back to the complete it was for her. In the past year or so I started seeing shredded portions of the crunchies left in her bowl. She started throwing up frequently and she began drinking what seemed like a ton of water daily. Then the weight loss kicked in. I brought her in for testing and her bilirubin was up & liver failure had begun.

After a 3 wk fight to "reverse the damage" it was apparent I was way too late and nothing more could be done. She was 17 and just put to rest yesterday, but I sincerely believe she was a cat that would have lived to her mid twenties! Could a change in the ingredients have caused this? I am heartbroken and feel horrible for feeding her this killer food -- as I just starting searching on a whim. How can our Country let this happen? Purina needs to be accountable for the poisoning they are inflicting on our fur babies so their pockets can grow!

Original review: May 28, 2015

I have used Friskies wet cat food for over 25 years. I just received 2 cases from Amazon (I use subscribe and save) and my cats won't touch it. I noticed this about 5 days ago. My 3 cats of 6 years old and very healthy. One of them ate some of the food, the other two just kind of looked at it, then looked at me as if to say "What's this?" and proceeded to walk away from it. I thought if I changed the flavor from Milled Grill Pate to Turkey and Giblets Pate which they've always seemed to enjoy the most. Again, the same thing, but this time all 3 walked away from it after sniffing....I tried again the next day, Salmon Pate -- no go. THEY WILL NOT EAT IT. The one cat who ate it is not chattering constantly, drooling, and when I found him sleeping so sounding, I literally almost had to pick him up to awaken him.

I started looking online for answers. I have found MANY others describing these behaviors -- and some have lost their furry friends. I read that if 1159 are the last 4 digits of the code on the bottom of the cans that this SHOULD NOT be fed to our pets. BOTH of the boxes I've received are this code! (I opened the second to try this morning and they walked away). I've learned from my research that this is a plant in Allentown, PA, and found that a VERY DETAILED warning was issued to them in how they processed food there for both cats and dogs. It seems there should be a recall.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I was feeding my three month old American bull dog Purina pro plan savor shredded blend when I noticed what appears to be spider webs in his puppy food. I am feeding the dry dog food, I wondered why my dog who is only 3 months doesn't seem to be so active. Now I am scared, called Pet Smart wanted a refund. They are no help at all. I'm calling tomorrow to speak to store manager and I've spent almost $45.00 on this dog food and I will be taking Buddy to vet tomorrow as well.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I had been giving my cats Pro Plan dry but after my five year old Holly got sick I stopped. I don't know if it was the food or a coincidence but I didn't want to risk it. I only give them Friskies pate and Fancy Feast classic. Neither has wheat flour or gluten in them. Both can cause vomiting and bloated belly. Even diarrhea. Holly has no more problems. My girls aren't diabetic but pate foods are good for diabetes. Also, dairy and whey can cause problems. Read labels carefully.

Original review: May 26, 2015

This product has caused severe gas problems with my cats. I don't mean the smell kind of gas. It's the kind that causes excruciating abdominal pain. I've had to have one cat euthanized because, as a senior feline, she couldn't handle the side effects (bloating, terrible pain, weight loss, vomiting). Today I took one of my remaining cats to the vet because he was showing the same symptoms. They had to take x-rays which showed the same problems with gas as my late kitty. I will never again purchase Purina products. It has now cost me a beloved family member and close to $2000 not including the inflated price of the food!

Original review: May 26, 2015

We have a 3 month old puppy, Mazy, and a 3 year old dog, Astro. Astro vomited a few times, but thought it was excitement of the new puppy and moving. Mazy got into Astro's food which resulted in diarrhea and vomiting, but the vet thought it was the change in diet. A diet of chicken and rice and both dogs were great. We slowly reintroduced their food. Mazy, being on Iams puppy food, was great. Astro started vomiting again. We are now certain it was the Purina Beyond Tuna and Egg dog food. Hindsight is 20/20 and now it seems so obvious.

Original review: May 25, 2015

I purchased a bag of Purina Beneful Healthy Weight for my 4 dogs, the smallest, 5lb Coco ate a bowl of the food. The following day after eating a treat she threw up, that day she would not eat the food. The next day a made chicken with veggies and brown rice. She ate in small quantities but stopped and then I tried just plain chicken. She also ate small quantities but stopped eating it after a couple of days. At the end of the week she did not look good so I took her to the Vet. Blood test revealed she was had kidney failure and her pancreas was not working. She was put on IV fluids, antibiotics and a stomach medicine.

Thru the weekend she got worse, she could not hold her up straight and could hardly stand. Sunday morning I made the decision and had her euthanized. Sunday night I was still racking my brain on how this started, and the more I think about it, she was fine until the night she ate Purina Beneful dog food. The following day is when this began. Myself and my family are thoroughly distraught about this situation, I can't stop thinking about it. After reading several posts here and Facebook I am 100% Purina Beneful caused this and I will have the food tested if I can.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information