2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (980 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

I buy Purina One Small Bites for my dogs and have been for several years. I have noticed small moths in my house lately and the other week noticed several moths in the container that I store my dog food in. I then realized that there were moth cocoons in the lid of the container. I happen to be talking to my neighbor today and she mentioned little moths in the last week in the house and some flew out of her cat food container. She noticed the webs/cocoons too. We both buy Purina but bought at different stores. She has a cat and I have dogs. The common denominator is Purina. I will never buy Purina again, especially after reading the complaints on here... This isn't just coincidental... Appears there is a problem at Purina.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

Puppy Kept throwing up after eating. Our adult dog always ate this with no issues. Switched both to Smart Balance food and no issues since.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2015

I fed my little guy Scooter Purina beyond dry dog food for about a years. As the time went by I notice his skin was turning black on his tummy. After a summer trim I could see his back was also turning black, his skin has always been pinkish grey in color. Then his coat didn't come back as usual and he was looking remaining coat. I took him to the vet to find out his kidneys were not functioning properly. They wanted to do more tests. At that same time I needed to buy a new bag of food and felt the need to change brands. I know, I know, don't change food like that, but think I may have saved his life. The spots are nearly gone and his coat has come in beautifully. He is my happy, healthy boy again. I am not a veterinarian but I'm sure that the food was killing my dog.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

I purchased a bag of Friskies Seven made by Purina from Wal-Mart on 8/7/15. My 19 year old Indoor cat Feisha started having several different issues, such as vomiting, loss of appetite, excessive thirst, weakening in her hind legs, lethargic and seizures. She became so bad I had taken her to the Vet on August 27th 2015 and they had done blood work. Her kidney values were high and the blood work showed other issues. They kept her for two nights to get her kidney values back to normal. She came home on August 29th 2015. The Vet sent home some samples of K/D cat food. She was doing fine and acting happy again. I had ran out of the sample food over the weekend and the Vet's office was closed so I had given her some of the Purina Food I still had on hand. That was on Sept 5th 2015.

On Sunday Sept 6th 2015 Feisha started thrashing and foaming at the mouth and became deathly ill. Approximately 1:15 a.m. on September 7th 2015 she started letting out these horrible crying sounds and started thrashing again. I listened to her horrible sounding cries throughout that whole morning and felt horrible because I had no clue as to what was going on and I could no ease her pain. Shortly after 6 a.m Feisha passed away. My family and I are devastated over losing her. She was deeply loved. I still have some of the food but I do not have the bag. I had poured it into a container to give to the stray cats that live in the neighborhood. Can anyone tell me if there is somewhere that food can be tested to see if it was tainted in anyway? I love and miss my pretty Feisha.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

Like the others here, I too bought Purina (ProPlan for large breed dogs). We put the food immediately into a container and throw the bag out, so I can't verify any of that information. I did notice, when I bought it, that there was a cobweb on the outside. I figured it'd been sitting on the shelf a long time and even when I saw a cobweb IN the bag, after we dumped it into the container, thought little of it. We noticed a few days later, lots more flies in the house, but chalked it up to a crappy apartment. Meanwhile, our dog had been having issues with loose stool- everything else had been fine, still had appetite and wasn't vomiting. We took him to the vet, and with probiotics and other meds, his stool gradually improved (so I question if the food had an impact at all on his health).

I noticed last night, three weeks after bringing the food into our home, a LOT of flies in the pantry, where we only keep foods in sealed or packaged containers. We explored, and upon opening the food container, found bugs IN the food. Flying out at us. My husband took the food immediately to the dumpster, and cleaned the container. He found worms, larvae, and flies. We scrubbed the container, and cleaned the nooks and crannies with Q-Tips to get all the larvae (they were literally on every tiny, sheltered surface of the container), and spent the evening killing all the flies we could get our hands on.

Thankfully, the food hasn't really hurt our dog, but it's certainly caused issues. I called Petsmart and explained the situation and that I had neither the bag nor the food anymore, and they told me to bring the receipt in for a refund. They said they've gotten a lot of these complaints lately, and that it seems to be an issue with the package seams- apparently how it's now made allows stuff to get into the bags, either during shipping or while sitting in the warehouse. When I went to get the refund, I asked if this was such a big deal, why hasn't there been a recall- apparently Petsmart has been trying to get one, with no luck.

My heart breaks for the pets who've died from negligence by Purina. I'm so sorry, but if it helps, I shared the info online, and a friend who feeds her dog Pro Plan read it. They've had issues with flies in the house lately and her dog has been eating less lately (much like the first symptoms the sick dogs displayed). She realized the problem from this information and immediately stopped feeding her dog that food. As sad as it is, lives are being saved by telling stories of pain and loss. Thank you all very much for sharing your feedback- it's helping!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Infested bag of Puppy Chow. Called Purina direct, they were quite bias about it. Stated it was a grain based product and subject to infestations at many points, including shipping. Information sounded scripted and like it had been repeated a many many times before. Did offer refund, I returned it to a major pet store. The manager stated that this was all too common product with Purina foods. They had sent numerous emails regarding this issue - nothing changes. This is a low quality product. Conclusion: I would never risk my dog's health to this product!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2015

I just found an animal tooth in my bag of Purina Dry Cat Food! How gross & disgusting! Before I found it my cats would not eat the food (and they love dry cat food). Finally they took a couple nibbles and then shortly after they became very sleepy, couldn't even walk, almost as if they were drugged! When is this company going to be stopped and shut down! I have read nothing but bad reviews of their cat and dog food, they are making animals sick & even killing them. How are they getting away with this?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

Purina Friskies dry/wet cat food made my cat sick and he died. Plus the Purina snacks I give to him. I have been using Purina wet and dry food for years on all my cats over the years. My cat, George, suddenly began vomiting on 4/22/2015 and showing signs of intense stomach pain. He would cry all the time for about 3 days before he died. After continued symptoms of abdominal pain, lethargy and loss of appetite, the vet suspected an intestinal blockage. I found him balled up looking like he was sleeping but when I went to him, he was dead!!!

I found out that the FDA had issued a Warning Letter to Nestle Purina PetCare on 1/2/15 regarding the very cat food that I had been feeding -- no killing -- my cats with. I removed all of the Friskies wet food from my house. I will never buy Friskies brand wet/dry/snack foods again. I am considering having a laboratory analysis performed of the remaining sealed food cans and opening a civil suit on Purina or join in the class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I purchase this product. Gave it to my cat. First I notice my cat stool was watery. The diarrhea got so bad she would not eat and was throwing up till I took her to the vet. He gave me med for her. She was getting better until I gave her some more Purina Whisker Lickin's tuna flavor and she got all sick again. That's when I took notice it was this food that is killing her. Now she will not eat again, but this product is the cause. Be careful with this product.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

After a half-bag of Beneful incredible bites for small dogs, my two year old dachshund is throwing up every day. She has had three bloody, loose stool accidents in the house. She has been scratching like crazy but does not have fleas. We thought she ate something bad in the yard and may have picked up an allergy but after reading all these reviews about Beneful incredible bites for small dogs, I believe strongly it is the food. She has not had an appetite and left food in her bowl, which is very unusual. She usually wants to go for a walk twice per day, but has been very lethargic and has had no interest in her walks.

I threw out the old food from her bowl and gave her IAMS this morning. She ate it like she was starving and barked afterwards. I think she was thanking me. I am disappointed that Purina has not responded to the hundreds of complaints. I'm lucky I found this website and read the reviews, which are similar to my experience. It is very possible the reviews saved my dog's life.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

Bought Purina One 20 pound bag for my dog at Walmart in Farmington, Arkansas. Few days later notice she started drinking more water, eating less, acting tired and like she didn't have any energy. Took her to the vet and they did blood work and liver levels and kidney levels were elevated. Our vet said her toxins levels were high. My prissy was my world. Rip my sweet baby girl. Momma loves and misses you every minute of every day.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

I fed my dog - a young 10-month-old, Frisky's canned dog food - might dog. He fell sick almost immediately - lethargy and real sick. Second time, when I tried it with my other dog, he too fell sick. I also found some black substances inside the can. Not sure what it was. Beware.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

My beautiful 11 year old kitty has been fed Friskies Seafood Sensations Dry food along with Fancy feast canned food and loved it. She's always been very healthy and gets regular checkups at the vet. In the last few days, she has been vomiting up undigested dry food and also foamy white stuff all over the house. I at first thought she was sick but it seemed that every time she'd have some dry food, shortly after I'd find puke in several places in the house. She still craves the stuff, but I am going to buy her some new better quality food instead and she if these episodes stop (after reading so many horrible stories about other animals made ill).

I have noticed that the colors in the dry food look different and wondered if they changed the formula. I hope I can find something healthier that she will eat and be happy with. Shame on Purina for making so many wonderful animals suffer. This behavior of vomiting shortly after eating has just started about a week ago, and otherwise kitty seems OK although her coat it dull and I hope she improves.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2015

I recently bought Purina for my 8 month old puppy. Since, I noticed he has been eating less and slower than usual (I thought this was because he needed less) and he vomited twice this week. He's also been sleeping a lot and is less active. This is my first dog and he was a stray who is very shy, so I didn't know what to make of his behavior. When I went to get his food just now I saw moths in the area, then one flew out of his food bin at me. More moths appeared whenever I shook the bin. A quick Google search led me here, and after reading I checked for and found worms and webs in the food. In the area where I keep my puppy's food there were moths and webs with their young inside of them!

I'm really upset that I fed my puppy something that has been making him sick. This is a time when we should be building trust with one another and when he requires a healthy and hefty diet in order to grow. I worry now that he'll face problems later on in his life since it seems the product was sprayed with chemicals. I work in a grain lab where we inspect for quality, infestation, chemicals, etc, and most of the grain is bought as feed for livestock so I feel very close to this issue. These products are not safe. I'll visit my vet and pet store tomorrow to talk with them about my puppy's experience, ConsumerAffairs, and to seek treatment for my best friend.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

I've made a report on bag of food that I had bought two weeks ago. It was a 20 lb. bag and they had already ate the other bag. This is/was the only brand they would eat...it was a 2-bag special at Target in Conway, AR. Our dogs are healthy today but were not eating as usual and they are no longer eating any store-bought food. We make our own dog food and freeze ahead of time...making a 2-cup serving of grains, rice, fish (meat), veggies, etc. in order to keep them healthy.

We have 100-lb Olde English Bulldogges, they are expensive (!!!) and already at health risk if not cared for properly. They are also our family!! We made a report and were told this is here a normal thing with the dog food... to send in a 2-cup sample for them to inspect, and that they would send our money 12.99$ back, and overnight us a box with everything needed...and they did. I am not satisfied and am not sure why the sample is needed when they are doing nothing. I will continue to follow this out of future concern for the other dogs who are not as lucky. I am disappointed in our concern for what is acceptable now days.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I was feeding my 13 month old Pug Friskies Mini Menu. She was very thin and didn't eat much of her dry food. I left down a bowl and she often didn't touch it all day, which I've recently heard is quite strange for a Pug as they are known to eat excessively if they can. I did think it was the weather as it's very hot here and I know dogs can eat up to 20% less during summer. This might have been a contributing factor but I have recently done some research and was shocked to find so many bad reviews. I've learned about fillers, artificial flavors and other ingredients that a dog should simply not be getting in their diet.

Besides all of this, which was enough for me to throw away my bag and opt for part homemade and part dry food (absolutely not Purina) diet, I noticed a lot of people talking about urinary problems, yellow bile looking vomit and irritated fur. I have experienced all of these problems with my Pug and I almost feel embarrassed that I didn't think that the food might be a problem. When reading up about these ingredients I just cannot believe that a company would take advantage of the fact that the animal can't tell the owners how crap it tastes and that it doesn't make them feel good. It's sad.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I bought a new bag for SmartBlend for our healthy 10 year old Bluetick Coonhound last week. Within 8 hours of her first meal she had diarrhea. Fed her 1 more meal from the bag and then stopped using it. She's listless with continuing diarrhea on day 3 and vomited this morning. We have fed her this product many times before without a problem and this is a dog with an iron stomach, not generally prone to food sensitivity or stomach upset. I'm returning the bag to the grocer and thought I should comment here because I noticed a lot of people posting similar problems recently.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

I have been feeding my 7 year old chihuahua Purina little bites for years, now I just opened a new bag on Saturday 8/8/2015 and by Tuesday 8/11/2015 he has been sick. He has been lethargic, down and has had a total of 4 seizures that we know of since Friday 8/14/2015. He has never been sick and has never had seizures. I took him to the vet on Saturday 8/15/2015 and he took some blood and we are waiting on the results. I just would like some answers, why all of a sudden this - my little dog getting sick after feeding him this product. He is like one of our kids. We need answers!!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2015

I like many pet owners want our pets to be happy and healthy. Just this week my dear friend lost her cat. He got sick over past month lost a lot of weight. He finally was not able to eat or drink. We took him to the vet as he was slipping away. The night before he was moving slow but still seemed to be doing okay. By the morning he just had nothing left. He could not eat or drink and had been vomiting. Keep in mind this was a older cat maybe 12 years old. The vet had options but none that would make him better as some organs had shut down.

That day I brought home her bag of cat food because I have three cats and why waste a half full bag? Well three days later my 3 year old Cat who had been in great health like my other two started vomiting. I was not home the first night it started. The next night I was and found three areas of puke. I honestly did not think much about it. However this morning I found my cat in the kitchen and more puke on the floor. I have three cats and was not 100% sure which cat had been vomiting. My husband called me a few hours later and said the 3 year old Cat was acting strange. This cat sleeps with us and is very active and he was laying in the kitchen floor. He tried to get him to eat something. Yesterday morning this cat was running and playing just like normal. So I called the 24 vet hospital and told them and no help but bring him in.

I did further research and found this website. Honestly never thought about the food until I asked my friend when did she buy this food and how long did her Cat eat it. Her cat had been on it a month! It had lost weight and had to be put down. My cats eat dry food during the day and can food at night. I have thought of all of the things and am left with this. It could be the food I got from her. Her cat and all three of mine are inside only cats! I am keeping a close eye on my cat and doing all I can to nurse him back to health. I have taken the dry food away.

I am taking my cat to the vet Monday and getting exam. I am also taking the cat food to see if it can be tested. It just seems like there is a connection and I owe it to her Cat who passed and mine that is sick now to make sure. Her cat had stomach problems and so it was easy to overlook the vomiting. Weight loss maybe due to age but my young cat who was healthy and happy to take a sudden turn after eating same food sends up a huge red flag. I hope my cat will pull through but I still want answers and I am determined to get them.

Please report to your vet if your cat gets sick after eating this food. The bag expiration is Sept, 2016. I will post again once I speak to my vet and hopefully get the food tested. I pray my cat gets better but if not I will be doing toxicology test to find out what happened. He is so special to our family and I feel maybe her Cat could have experienced the same but not been as lucky. I hope all pet owners catch on quick and can save their pets. Praying I am one of the lucky ones. Just so sad we already cremated her Cat and we were not able to test him. Please speak up if your cat has had same issues!!!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

I have fed my Rott Purina One Lamb Rice dog food for 9 years. Recently the formerly high-quality food has contained lightweight filler chunks, which appear to just give volume to the bag. I have bought my last Purina product. DISAPPOINTED!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

Today as I was feeding my male 1 year old great dane Purina Pro plan. I left, but came back as I saw something black. It moved. I dumped the food out back and rinsed his bowl. I then put another scoop of food in his bowl. This time, I examined it. I was disgusted as I saw little black bugs. I went on here to see many reviews on this; so I did what everyone else did: I got a Ziploc bag and put like two scoops of the purina in it. I studied it and not only saw bugs, but little worms too. I'm disgusted. He's been sick for the past couple days, and I suspect this is why. I called purina and all they said was they'd give me a free bag. I'm not getting another bag of that so no need for free bags pro plan! I never want this to happen to any animal out there, so I'm not buying purina pro plan dry dog food again!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

We have two dogs. A Golden and a Morky that have been on Purina Exclusive dog food for years. The Morky has been listless and went to the bathroom on the carpet overnight two nights in a row, which never happens. We just noticed a large hot spot on the Golden's paw last night. It came on quickly and the size of a fifty cent piece. We started a new bag of food, same formula... I thought a week before we noticed all the symptoms. I called our dog food feed store and they informed me that Purina had moved their facility and changed the formula.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I had a Pit Bull Terrier (my families best friend) who lived to be 8 months old. I started feeding him Purina Pro Plan dog food chicken and rice formula about 4,1/2 months ago, and I thought I made a good switch. He liked the food and it seemed to be a good fit for him. I decided to switch his flavor up a little bit and went ahead and brought a 35 lb. bag of the beef and rice formula this time about 2 weeks ago. I had been noticing that he had been a little more hesitant to eating ALL of his food lately as he usually does, but I was guessing it was the flavor switch. All of a sudden he got really ill, stopped eating and started vomiting with diarrhea and died. He was a PERFECTLY HEALTHY puppy...

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

My babies been setting this for a 2years now. My cats all having issue skin very much and urinary tract infections. Vet said could be food. I believe that is to be true. Omg my poor babies. All 5 I buy bags at a time. What to what I need to do? Got from PetSmart and Wal-Mart wherever it's on sale. And one time it was molded inside bag. Took back to PetSmart.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I am the owner of two older cats (about 13 years) that have generally been quite healthy - but lately & quite suddenly, they have exhibited unusually frequent vomiting and one had developed a urinary problem that corresponds to the symptoms of FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis). They are usually fed a combination of canned cat food (evening) and dry cat food (morning). The dry food that we were using is Purina Friskies 'Senior Splendour'. Having become quite alarmed about the sudden urinary problem, I stopped putting out the dry food as all the relevant advice on FIC suggests that dry food (generally) can be a contributing cause of that problem.

As it turns out, so far, all of the symptoms - both urinary and vomiting related, have stopped. That's why I have found the comments on this forum to be very interesting - many of the symptoms described in these posts, the vomiting, the sliminess of vomits and stools - and vomits with a yellow-looking bile appearance, are all quite familiar in our case (the urinary problem is suspicious but not conclusive as it may relate to all, or most, dry foods). It is also interesting to note that these same symptoms have been experienced by pet owners in the US (we are in Australia) and that they have been related to wide range of Purina pet foods and not just one particular variety or batch.

Just as noteworthy are some of the American observations about Purina changing the formula (the pet food itself) while retaining the same brand and product name. Some consumer advocates have noted that these changes have occurred in the period following Nestle's recent acquisition of Purina. I find that interesting as well because my cats had been fed Friskies of a morning for several years prior without any of these symptoms appearing. While that observation is not entirely conclusive in itself, the overall evidence would appear to suggest that the "Friskies" that I was feeding them this year is not the same cat food that they were eating years ago... In which case it would appear that Nestle is not only selling a dangerous and inferior product, it has deceived the consumer by disguising this rubbish (whatever it is) with the name and identity of formerly trusted brand.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I just bought a bag of Purina Beyond dog food on Monday. We were going out of town and needed to get a quick good dog food to take with us to feed our dogs. We fed our dogs Tues. evening. Sam our dachshund, Bella our minpin and Chailatte our Lab service dog gobbled it down. Wednesday, Sam refused to eat, Bella ate a little, Chailatte ate very little. All the dogs were drinking an unusual amount of water. Thursday AM fed the dogs. Sam ate a little bit as did Bella.

We drove home 3 hrs. When we arrived home, Sam threw up. Bella is lethargic and shaking. Chailatte is not as frisky as she usually is when we arrive home after a trip. Friday AM Sam is refusing to eat, Bella is still shaking and not eating. This is not normal for my dogs. Made some chicken and rice for them. They both are eating a little, and seem to be a little better. I can only attribute their behavior to the dog food since they are getting better by not eating the Purina Beyond dog food. Glad I checked to see reviews here first before trying to feed them anymore of the Beyond dog food.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

We have used pro plan for years. We bought a bag in March and our dogs got sick. Now both dogs are dead. Totally unacceptable. Very healthy dogs, no issues until that bag.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

I just recently opened a large bag of Purina Dog Chow and was feeding it to my Yorkies. On July 25th approximately 930 my husband called me crying saying something was wrong with my baby girl. He said she was whimpering and then gasping for air. She eventually died in his arms while he was trying to do CPR on her. My baby girl was only 6, healthy as a whistle, no heart worms - nothing was wrong, NOTHING.

I took my male Yorkie to the vet to get a check up and the vet informed me that something they ate had poison in it similar to antifreeze. She immediately put my little guy on VitK. He refused to eat and I had to get an appetite stimulator from Royal Canin to get him to eating again. My baby is gone, I have a large dog food bag in my garage not knowing what to do with the crap and I feel like a big part is gone from me. I feel Purina should be responsible for this, I wish I could have my angel back. As far as my male he is slowly gaining his appetite back and his stools seem to be back to normal color. Hopefully they take responsibility for this.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I have tried to write reviews on Purina One on other sites and they would not publish because the truth is not what Purina wants you to hear. I lost TWO of my dogs who were on Purina One canned and dry. Lamb and rice. I won't go into the whole story but I have to share how ill they became. At first I thought it was a cold or allergy. They both were sluggish. Sneezing and a nasal discharge. More bowel movements than usual. After many, many visits to our vet we were puzzled. They became worse. My chihuahua and Rotty had fluid in their lungs. My chihuahua had fluid around his heart also. They were on this poison food for almost 4 months. They DIED within 4 days of each other. I can't tell you the pain this brought my family. My vet and his team were and still are puzzled. I have been using this vet for 31 years.

PLEASE don't buy Purina. Nestle and Purina are one and I will not purchase any products from Nestle either. Go on the web and read the hundreds of sick animals from this food. No one seems to care. Who is monitoring these products?? Those of you who say "Oh my pets are on it and they are o.k." They may be fine now but is it really worth the risk!!! Everyday I feel like I killed my dogs. I found recipes online and the one dog I have left is doing great. He never ate Purina once - he's fussy.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I have always fed my cat another brand of dry cat food but he has trouble with his skin. I purchased a bag of Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and began mixing it into his regular dry food. Within no time he began a cry like I had never heard before. I thought nothing of it until he began convulsing. The vet could not find any issues. I immediately put 2 and 2 together based on the timing. Removed the Pro Plan. No more problems. Happy to say he is now back to normal. No more Purina products for me.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information