2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (923 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Waggin Train chicken jerky - Our husky became very ill after eating these treats daily for a few weeks. The vet bill was close to a thousand dollars. We're still waiting to see if she will make a full recovery. I would advise everyone to boycott the Nestle Company completely. All their products may not be potentially deadly like this one but their business practices have been far less than above board for decades.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I adopted my toy poodles when they were 9 and their previous owner/breeder used Purina One Small Bites and recommended that. After I had them neutered they gained a little weight and I started looking at "mature" or "healthy weight" brands and found that in reality the calorie content in those is about the same and it looked like it was all about portion control anyway. So I went back to what they knew and liked and just give them less now and add pumpkin and string beans to make up the difference.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

My dogs are picky eaters. I finally found dog food they enjoy, Purina One. They love the real chicken bits.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

In the 40 some odd years of having as many as eight dogs at once, I could and still can always rely on Purina in providing them with a well balanced diet that is also affordable. Purina is a mainstay in our household!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I have used 9Lives, but my 4 cats prefer Friskies Pate. Two of the cats do not like "Bits' or "Shreds" or anything else with a gravy over some almost-meat product. When you buy this stuff, you are giving your cat more water and less meat. They also eat Meow Mix dry cat food. They like the food and I appreciate the recent change from the paper bag that was difficult to open, to the plastic bag that was easy to open.

Again, our cats do not like 9Lives dry food as much as Meow Mix or Friskies. When it is all over and the remains of the cat food leaves the cat, Arm & Hammer recently bought Feline Pine Cat Litter from Nature's Earth Products. If you have anyone in the house with asthma, you should not use any clay litter because the dust is so irritating. Feline Pine has no dust, doesn't track, controls odor naturally, and contains no pine oils. In addition to that, it is made from waste sawdust from furniture manufacturers. You can dump used Feline Pine into your "Green Lawn Waste" can.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I've given several of my dogs Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach dog food. It has no corn as an ingredient. Some terriers are sensitive to corn and my vet recommended this food. My dogs have thrived eating this food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

During a recent trip to PetSmart, I was not able to find our regular brand of cat food and even though we didn’t need cat food I have one cat that eats only dry and we started to run low. She normally has hairballs AND is indoors. When shopping around for other items I stumbled into an area where a few bags of our regular brand was being (away from the aisle of cat food) and bunch of Purina Cat Chow bags. When asking the store employee if the bag of Purina would be better or the kind we usually used, he suggested the Cat Chow. We opened it and stored it in an airtight container, mixed it into their other cat food to change it slowly. My other cat that has digestive sensitivity, usually eats only wet food, attempted to eat the dry food two days ago.

Usually my teenage boys feed at night so I haven't inspected the dry food as it's put out, however I became aware of the problem with the food when my digestive sensitive cat puked near my bed two days in a row. This morning there was several dry food pieces in the dish with both worms and grain eating bugs. I almost puked seeing the creatures scamper about. I then inspected the air tight container to my surprise there was an infestation. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS FOOD. We have only had it a few weeks, and now I understand why the food was kept separate from the aisle shelves.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

For about the past month, my cats have been throwing up the Friskies brand cat food in a can. I continue to purchase at least 32 cans per week because I am feeding 5+ cats total. Now, they totally refuse to eat it and it lays around till I throw it away. This is getting expensive and I am considering the 9 lives brand. I have written the Purina company about this and all I got was a letter about sending in control numbers stamped on the can and which I did, but haven't heard from them since!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I'm currently using Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight. The food I used before was Blue Buffalo. My dogs were tiring of it and weren't excited about eating. So I made a change (about 3 or 4 years ago) to the Purina. My dogs absolutely love this food. They can hardly contain themselves when it's time to eat. There is never a crumb left in the bowl. One dog is fussy; the other is not. The biggest benefit has been the weight loss. I took away dog treats except one natural cookie. The treats the rest of day is baby carrots. But my dogs are at their ideal weight now and maintain. They get so excited when I buy a new bag. They stand next to me wagging their tails while I pour it into the bin. So, great food.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

Not sure yet if it's Purina canned food affecting my dog but after reading these horrendous stories, I'm going first thing in the morning and buying different foods. My dog has been having terrible anal gland issues, gas, stomach noises and tonight after eating, a rash on his lip and acting a little strange. Oh, and he HAS been drinking lots of water. I'm hoping having him on this a month hasn't damaged him. I will let you know how it goes. And I know I shouldn't drastically change his food but I don't dare give him 1 more morsel of Purina. At least until I know!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I was feeding my coondog dog chow when she got sick. She was coughing and vomiting for a couple of days then she died on her box. This dog was worth 30,000 dollars. She was only 4 years old and in great shape. She passed away October 20, 2015.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I feed my dog Purina One or Purina SmartBlend and add lean chicken breast to it for added flavor and protein. My dog won't eat it otherwise. She is very healthy and active, so she burns off the extra protein easily. She seems to prefer the Smart Blend over Purina One dry dog food.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

My dogs have always liked this brand. Since there are different flavors she doesn't get tired of eating the same brand. Every so often we switch flavors so she doesn't get tired of the same flavor. Tried other brands but after a couple weeks of eating I was throwing more away than she was eating.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

My springer spaniel is almost 7, so I decided to change her food and bought Pro Plan Vitality for dogs over 7. She ate one serving about 11 am and was rushed to the vet at 2:30 pm with hives, swollen face, panting furiously, whimpering, frantic, and with fully dilated and glazed over eyes. She's at the vet overnight and I will know tomorrow if she's ok. Don't risk buying this food for your pets.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Did not cause stomach upset, while more expensive brands (including Blue Buffalo) caused gastric distress that included excessive gas, bloating and diarrhea in an older active dog.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I use Purina Pro. My dog seems to like it, although he picks out the meaty part most of the time. He would go back later and he would eat the rest. He only likes the turkey and chicken. He does not like the lamb.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

I was feeding my 14 year old Lab Purina Beneful Healthy Weight after needing to buy a less expensive food due to financial hardship. My dog became very sick after introducing this food to his diet. He had trouble walking, diarrhea & vomiting. I researched the food and found other owners with these experiences. We immediately stopped the food and my dog got better. He can walk again, is no longer vomiting, and no diarrhea.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I had been feeding my pitbull Purina Puppy Chow for the last 7 months and thought I would start weaning him off the puppy chow and start him on an adult dog food. He had been on Purina Dog Chow for about a week and started throwing up one night and as the night went on, it gradually became worse. He started vomiting blood by morning and was not responsive to any touch or commands. I immediately contacted my vet and brought him in to be checked. Every test that they ran came back negative. He stayed at the vet for 2 days on IV and then I was able to bring him home.

In 2010 I had a miniature weenie dog that experienced the same problems but more severe. She was having seizures every 5 minutes and had to be taken to Auburn University. After 2 weeks at Auburn, they diagnosed her with encephalitis. She ended up staying there for 2 months and I spent almost $10,000.00 in vet bills. She came home but had to take a seizure medicine 2x a day and steroids. She lived for 3 more years and I ended up having to have her put to sleep from a seizure that left her deaf and blind. I chose my pets, they don't chose me. And when they become ill, it breaks my heart to see them suffer in any way. However in 2010, I was financially able to provide Nadia with the care she needed. Now I'm not able to do the same for Tucker, my new dog. And if I had known in 2010, when my little girl became ill that the dog food was the reason, I would have pursued it further. Why hasn't this food been pulled from their shelves?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

My 2 1/2 year old perfectly healthy American Staffordshire Terrier Archer is in a battle for his life after 2 days of eating Purina Alpo Prime Cuts. A very large Vet bill and 3 days later with nothing else to be done!!!! Your company needs to pay for what he's had to endure and suffer through. Vomiting, bloody diarrhea, lethargic, drooling bile, breathing problems and uncontrolled shaking! Everyone that works for that company and knows they're killing innocent beautiful babies should have to suffer the same. Not to mention what his family has had to endure watching him suffer!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

I fed my 4 dogs the treats and two hours later they threw up the treats and white foam. After having the treats, they would go lie down and they normally don't do that. They started dry heaving and gagging. A couple days later since their condition did not improve and actually worsened, I called Purina to file a complaint and asked for reimbursement of my expenses due to this product, which includes a vet visit and antibiotics. Their eyes were watery and swollen shut. The vet found that they have a bacterial infection due to the treats.

He prescribed cephalexin 500mg. 1000mg for Moe, Black Lab and a 1000mg for Sasha, German Shepherd every 12 hours. Both are service dogs. For Charlie, Jack Russell Terrier 250mg every 12 hours for 7 days. The vet gave it to Charlie immediately because his skin was starting to fall off. His skin was pink in areas throughout his body and also his eyes turned red. He is also the one that I gave the most treats. Max, Charlie's brother, a Chihuahua mix dog is also on the same antibiotic and same dose as Charlie.

It may seem like a head cold but if your pets experience any of these symptoms, take them to the vet immediately as it will save their life. I normally buy chicken treats by USA brand, which are made in the USA and never had a problem. If as humans, you have had allergies and been sick to your stomach, then imagine what my dogs felt like and they can't communicate. Beware of Purina Waggin Train products that are made in China. This is poison for any dog and it can lead to death. Sedjwick at Purina is the person who took my complaint and is investigating.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I have fed 2 dog Purina ONE dog food for a number of years. Luckily they were on Kirkland high fiber during the recall of Beneful last year so we missed that. However we tried a bag of Purina pure blends natural instinct and are in the midst of horrific consequences from that choice. It started with spot on symptoms of acid reflux in my littler of the 2 dogs. This lasted about 12 hours and he now seem to be fine as frog's hair. My other dog had no issues until this morning. While out she had explosive voids out of both of her ends. While cleaning that up she had bloody diarrhea and has had to pass that about once an hour for the last couple hours. The food has been the only change in her activities and diet. I feel so bad, because she is hurting right now. My wife and I try our best to give both of our dogs a good life. We put them on the Purina One blends thinking this was a good product for them.

After reading some of these reviews and having our own experience we now know otherwise. I know that to some they are just dogs, but like many others our dogs are an integral part of our family. I took it a step further and continued to read horror story after another on many major brands of kibble. We are currently feeding a chicken and rice diet for the next couple days, but will never buy another Purina product again. There seems to be little point in contacting the manufacturer as the response is scripted and I sure do not want a coupon or replacement of the product. How sad that animal food manufacturers have such low empathy towards animals.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

We have a 7 yr old Chiweenie who we've fed Purina One for as long as I can remember. 2 weeks ago she started getting ill, loose stool lethargic, won't eat/drink some days or will drink a lot, flinches when we'd touch her belly, very loud gurgling noises from her belly and terrible gas. 2 weeks ago we also bought a new bag of Purina One 3 in 1 SmartBlend Healthy Weight Formula. Today I took her to the vet because she wasn't getting better. Vet did a blood panel and fecal test. Blood panel showed she was a bit dehydrated and then her fecal matter was black and tarry. She's now on antibiotics, probiotics, prescription dog food and one other medicine.

I just remembered the recall on their Beneful brand and looked it up... Very similar problems with our pup, so I am just going by other accounts of animals getting ill and their symptoms but it seems clear to me that my dog's illness is related to the dog food. Too many similarities to not think so. Now I'm on the search for a better brand. We will no longer buy Purina.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

I have a 6 year old adopted black lab. After eating Purina for 6 months he began throwing up. Just random events but always after eating. I changed everything and thought he had gotten into something but it was only after eating a bag that had been purchased in July 2015. He had also began to drink endlessly as well as scratch a ton!

About two weeks ago, I switched my dog to Wellness after reading reviews on here and thought that it couldn't hurt. (I had also read that they MAY have changed their formula around this time but that was my unprofessional detective work.) He has not thrown up since then. I have also noticed him come back to us in a sense. He is not as thirsty (he is satisfied with a normal amount of water) and his energy level has sky rocketed! I forgot how silly he was since he hadn't been feeling well! I won't go back to Purina. I suggest that you as a customer questioning this food, try another and see if changes occur then you'll have your answer.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

I have 2 cats who I've feed Purina for over a year now. I was feeding them the indoor complete but, last time I went to PetSmart they didn't have it so I ended up with the naturals kind with added nutrition and minerals. I actually didn't even consider the food as being a culprit until approximately 2 days ago when my 2 year old cat started throwing up. I was actually talking to a friend who was telling me about her dog having really bad poisoning from her food and how she had to nurse her back to health forcing water down and feeding her by hand piece by piece, but she said that it was all from the dog food a Purina brand - that's actually one of the first time questions she asked me is what kind of food I was feeding them while continuing to tell me how bad Purina was as I told her it was also Purina. She advised me to take the food away.

At the time I didn't really believe it was the cat food so I proceeded to look it up and then that's where I also ended up here amongst some others and started reading other people's experiences and how their pet were all dying. This is what stuck out most to me because at the beginning of the month which was a couple days after I had got the new food for them, the first day the younger one threw up but I didn't think much about it because he's super active and on occasion will vomit which I just associated with his activity and stuff. But the 2nd I noticed my older cat was looking thinner and as it just so happens that night I witnessed him leave the litter box in a very weird position - his back legs were folded up kind like a frog but super close to him and up higher so that his butt was actually hitting the ground and he was almost bouncing across the floor.

As he passed me I noticed a black looking thing still in his butt so I immediately caught up to him. After finding some rubber gloves to see if there was something there, needless to say I saw nothing. After that night he was chasing lasers eating drinking all normal. I saw him urinate but didn't try to go further that night. He just came and lay by me. The next day he didn't do anything but sleep by me. I tried to get him to eat - no interest but would lick his lips. At that point he was still barely drinking water. Come later that night he started to throw up a brown liquid and then had got up to use the bathroom so I followed him to see if he was going to go but he couldn't. He tried to push and nothing then he started to whine and looked to be in pain then proceeded to just come and sleep on me, more than through the night he was looking dehydrated.

I knew he wasn't passing anything then now he wasn't eating, drinking and playing so I ended up at the animal clinic that night with him. They ended up doing an x-ray and found what as a coil shell shape thing. He showed it to me and we came to the conclusion it was probably a rubber band so they gave him some iv fluids that night and wanted him back the next day. I didn't bring him back that day because I knew he hadn't passed it, as well as now he was drinking water and eating on his own a bit. Then the next day I brought him back in. They did another x-ray and couldn't find the object that time, so being that we knew it hadn't passed and he's not eating or drinking they ended up admitting him in to the hospital that night so he could get iv fluids and then they were going to run barium through him to help the x-rays show anything or find any blockage.

Well needless to say the barium went all the way through and they didn't find anything nor did he pass it. They called me early the next morning to come get him because he was not eating there and seemed really scared but they said the next thing that they would do is try blood work in a couple days to see if they could find something out. Actually since after spending 1000.00 they didn't help any. I actually think he was better before taking him in there. They gave me some wet food by iv to try and help with his digestive system and to get him eating again. My next option from them was blood work starting at like $450, in a week for follow up. I didn't have the money to pay for that after the thousand they already took to basically help none.

He ended up passing something and had white hard stool along with it. He was still just whining in pain though and loud which is weird because he's a silent cat pretty much. He slept by me that night, the next day I had him eating the wet food but still not drinking so I poked a hole in a water bottle lid and was squirting water down his throat but at a rate he was drinking it on his own. I did that a couple days then the 3rd day, I had him eating and drinking all on his. He did it in small amounts but it came time to go to the follow up and I decided not to take him in at that point since I knew he passed the object and was finally starting to do stuff on his own. I didn't want to reverse it, bringing him back and told them if shows any signs of needing help.

He was okay the next couple days then he was back to not doing anything, wouldn't leave my side, always wanting to lie down so a few days in to that I started trying to find ways for crowd funding or help to make a payment to the vet so I could bring him in with no luck so I was keeping him alive best I could. I had bought some canned Friskies and treats to see if that would help. He ate some. I ended up still giving him water through a baby nose cleaner suction ball thing. It worked out well and my other cat was licking the gravy off of the can food but eating the wet food and he threw up again but it looked to be just the dry food. By this point though my older cat was becoming really frail losing weight, his eyes, ears and gums were growing pale and seeming to be anemic. I actually was giving him some honey to keep him from possible hypoglycemia.

At that point I really didn't know what to do. I couldn't afford to get my cat the testing needed and knew he was close to dying. After trying for days I was finally able to get some help from family to get him seen. About 10 minutes after that my younger cat threw up again. So that brings me back to the beginning of how the food idea was brought to my attention which was yesterday. I ended up bringing them both in last night. They finally did a blood screen and urine. They admitted my older cat with renal failure having super high protein levels and a red blood count of 17% 3.9 and anemic. They checked over my younger cat but didn't do any further testing then flv but left his case open to watch him because he's having eye and nose drainage some too. Right now my cat is on a 48 hour watch being hospitalized monitored and getting fluids.

Latest update I had his red blood cell count was at 15% and he was on the verge of needing a blood transfusion. They did have some good news that his anemia is regenerative and they were waiting to see if he was going to try and make them on his own - to not need the transfusion. He's supposed to get an ultrasound on Monday if needed to make sure there's not something further if the fluids aren't helping and possibly getting him some other medicine.

But as the last kicker I got home and my younger cat then passed blood in his stool so I immediately called them back and they told me that I need to get him in for blood work to make sure there's not something further wrong with him like possible kidney issues. So now I'm trying to get him seen today too to make sure he's not going to die. After again I had to pay 750 dollars last night as down payment and for vet services but now I get to go pay another 200+ for blood work and go from there. Someone needs to start some kind of way to serve them justice for their neglecting lives of our loved ones and well being of our animals as well humanity.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

About six weeks ago we switch to Beyond dog food. At first our male dog seemed to get lethargic, quit eating, just acting weird. Then our female dog started acting up. Then about a week ago, they both quit eating completely. They both were good eaters. We have $$$ invested right now into the vet because we are trying to figure this out. They are both lying in my kitchen dying. I know it was from eating this food.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I have a 9-month-old puppy. The breeder we got her from recommended Purina Pro Plan. Several months ago I noticed there were moths in the food. I returned it to the store and got a new bag. Last week I bought a new bag of Purina Pro Plan large breed food and again I have moths. No more Purina for us.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I have always purchased Purina dry dog food. Recently my husband got the lamb and rice formula. I now have 3 very ill dogs. My puppy started with explosive diarrhea. We are on day 4. I stopped this food 2 days ago, she is on the mend. My older dog is having diarrhea and is too weak to stand. My middle dog is having bloody stools and vomiting. I cannot believe this company knows what is going on and will not do anything to fix the product. I will never buy a Purina product again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

Eleven cats is a large number, not one will eat one bite of this good even with extreme hunger. (Ferals out in the word depending on humans for food). Question why this product if "so good" for cats urine production will not be consumed in extreme hunger situations. Can grasp spoiled inside cats dependent on proving to us what they want but I know of not one person that successfully feeds their cats this product. It is time for Purina with high charges for costs… wow… to revamp and consider this product and why it cannot be tolerated by hungry cats. Something is very wrong. I work with large groups that support TNR and return of cats, they will not eat this product. Wake up Purina. Think many others experience same. Even if you MIX into their favorite dry they will eat around this product and leave in dish.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

I have been feeding my animals Purina for years but recently my corgi has been throwing up several times during the night leaving a nightmare orange color spot everywhere he's puked! My carpet throughout the house is light beige and every room has three or more spots. Besides that he has had bloody stools which I have taken to vet to make sure he was alright. Also the vet commented that he was shedding terribly, which he still is. I have decided to give your company the benefit of doubt and try changing my dog to the lamb and rice dry food and after a month trial I will complain again if my dog keeps getting sick. I'm wondering if your company has made any changes to the ingredients of your product because I've heard that some of the ingredients are coming from another country, is that true?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Last Friday I bought a bag on Purina Gentle Cat food. Within a few hours of feeding, all of my cats began vomiting (I have 15 rescues at the moment), and within a few hours after that, many had watery diarrhea, too. I was at work, and didn't notice until a full day later, though my mother told me when I got home that "all I have done all day is clean up throw up and poop!"

I went around and examined the cats. I noted that some were drooling, a sign of poisoning, too. I immediately pulled the dry food and threw most of it out. (I saved the bag and the bottom six inches of food.) By the next day, I found one hiding in a closet. She had peed herself, was cold, and was obviously uncomfortable. I took her in this morning, and the vet told me that her kidney numbers are so high they didn't register, which means she is in kidney failure. She also has a super high white blood cell count.

Short version of this story: RESEARCH CAT FOOD MANUFACTURERS. We used to be able to trust them, and now their capitalistic greed has caused them to cut so many corners they're killing our furry children. I'll try to update with the lot number, and her prognosis, or if she dies.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information