3.68/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2015

I got my now 13-week old Labrador Retriever almost a month ago. As soon as we picked her up, we headed straight to Petsmart so we could get a small bag of food until I went grocery shopping on Friday and did our usual round of food pick up for my animals. I have a passel of cats and now our dog. I picked up a bag of Purina Healthy Morsels Puppy food for my dog. Since I've never had a dog before, I had no idea what I was doing. I should've known better after feeding that junk, almost killed one of my cats as well.

Our first week home, she ate pretty ravenously. She's a puppy and that's generally what they do. Three days after we brought her home, she starts vomiting EVERYWHERE. Explosive diarrhea EVERYWHERE. It was just liquid pouring out of her on both ends. We rush her to the vet on Mother's Day (not even a whole week since we brought her home!) and they diagnosed her with garbage gut. I didn't buy it, but whatever. They sent us home with some Reglan, some antibiotics and some prescription food to see if she'll come around and eat it.

The next day, she had eaten two tablespoons of food in 24 hours. She was weak, still vomiting and still having diarrhea. Her vet thought she might have had a blockage but when they opened her up, there was no blockage. But for three days, she was on IV fluids because she would not eat, and could barely move. Because of my vet's know-how and my quick action, my poor little puppy lived. But these monsters almost KILLED her. We have since switched to Iams and Blue Buffalo. I will NEVER, EVER feed my animals Purina products again. Not EVER. I firmly believe it was the food that did this to her, and I know for a FACT that my vet said my cat's old food (Friskies) caused my cat's urethra to block. Since switching to Hill's for him, no issues whatsoever. Something sincerely needs to be done about what Purina is doing. They are literally getting away with genocide and no one is doing anything about it!

Original review: May 31, 2015

My cat was healthy and happy for a long time. However, this year I noticed a change in behavior. My girl Jazzy, has only ate Cat Chow complete dry food her entire adult life. One time the store was out of the "complete" and I picked up the Purina Cat Chow Indoor green bag. She ate one time & never touched again so immediately back to the complete it was for her. In the past year or so I started seeing shredded portions of the crunchies left in her bowl. She started throwing up frequently and she began drinking what seemed like a ton of water daily. Then the weight loss kicked in. I brought her in for testing and her bilirubin was up & liver failure had begun.

After a 3 wk fight to "reverse the damage" it was apparent I was way too late and nothing more could be done. She was 17 and just put to rest yesterday, but I sincerely believe she was a cat that would have lived to her mid twenties! Could a change in the ingredients have caused this? I am heartbroken and feel horrible for feeding her this killer food -- as I just starting searching on a whim. How can our Country let this happen? Purina needs to be accountable for the poisoning they are inflicting on our fur babies so their pockets can grow!

Original review: May 28, 2015

I have used Friskies wet cat food for over 25 years. I just received 2 cases from Amazon (I use subscribe and save) and my cats won't touch it. I noticed this about 5 days ago. My 3 cats of 6 years old and very healthy. One of them ate some of the food, the other two just kind of looked at it, then looked at me as if to say "What's this?" and proceeded to walk away from it. I thought if I changed the flavor from Milled Grill Pate to Turkey and Giblets Pate which they've always seemed to enjoy the most. Again, the same thing, but this time all 3 walked away from it after sniffing....I tried again the next day, Salmon Pate -- no go. THEY WILL NOT EAT IT. The one cat who ate it is not chattering constantly, drooling, and when I found him sleeping so sounding, I literally almost had to pick him up to awaken him.

I started looking online for answers. I have found MANY others describing these behaviors -- and some have lost their furry friends. I read that if 1159 are the last 4 digits of the code on the bottom of the cans that this SHOULD NOT be fed to our pets. BOTH of the boxes I've received are this code! (I opened the second to try this morning and they walked away). I've learned from my research that this is a plant in Allentown, PA, and found that a VERY DETAILED warning was issued to them in how they processed food there for both cats and dogs. It seems there should be a recall.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I was feeding my three month old American bull dog Purina pro plan savor shredded blend when I noticed what appears to be spider webs in his puppy food. I am feeding the dry dog food, I wondered why my dog who is only 3 months doesn't seem to be so active. Now I am scared, called Pet Smart wanted a refund. They are no help at all. I'm calling tomorrow to speak to store manager and I've spent almost $45.00 on this dog food and I will be taking Buddy to vet tomorrow as well.

Original review: May 27, 2015

I had been giving my cats Pro Plan dry but after my five year old Holly got sick I stopped. I don't know if it was the food or a coincidence but I didn't want to risk it. I only give them Friskies pate and Fancy Feast classic. Neither has wheat flour or gluten in them. Both can cause vomiting and bloated belly. Even diarrhea. Holly has no more problems. My girls aren't diabetic but pate foods are good for diabetes. Also, dairy and whey can cause problems. Read labels carefully.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: May 26, 2015

This product has caused severe gas problems with my cats. I don't mean the smell kind of gas. It's the kind that causes excruciating abdominal pain. I've had to have one cat euthanized because, as a senior feline, she couldn't handle the side effects (bloating, terrible pain, weight loss, vomiting). Today I took one of my remaining cats to the vet because he was showing the same symptoms. They had to take x-rays which showed the same problems with gas as my late kitty. I will never again purchase Purina products. It has now cost me a beloved family member and close to $2000 not including the inflated price of the food!

Original review: May 26, 2015

We have a 3 month old puppy, Mazy, and a 3 year old dog, Astro. Astro vomited a few times, but thought it was excitement of the new puppy and moving. Mazy got into Astro's food which resulted in diarrhea and vomiting, but the vet thought it was the change in diet. A diet of chicken and rice and both dogs were great. We slowly reintroduced their food. Mazy, being on Iams puppy food, was great. Astro started vomiting again. We are now certain it was the Purina Beyond Tuna and Egg dog food. Hindsight is 20/20 and now it seems so obvious.

Original review: May 25, 2015

I purchased a bag of Purina Beneful Healthy Weight for my 4 dogs, the smallest, 5lb Coco ate a bowl of the food. The following day after eating a treat she threw up, that day she would not eat the food. The next day a made chicken with veggies and brown rice. She ate in small quantities but stopped and then I tried just plain chicken. She also ate small quantities but stopped eating it after a couple of days. At the end of the week she did not look good so I took her to the Vet. Blood test revealed she was had kidney failure and her pancreas was not working. She was put on IV fluids, antibiotics and a stomach medicine.

Thru the weekend she got worse, she could not hold her up straight and could hardly stand. Sunday morning I made the decision and had her euthanized. Sunday night I was still racking my brain on how this started, and the more I think about it, she was fine until the night she ate Purina Beneful dog food. The following day is when this began. Myself and my family are thoroughly distraught about this situation, I can't stop thinking about it. After reading several posts here and Facebook I am 100% Purina Beneful caused this and I will have the food tested if I can.

Original review: May 16, 2015

Two days ago I switched my cat food to Purina cat food for healthy urinary tract. My cat was vomiting a little, but this very common when one switch cat food. She was only 6 years old and a very healthy cat. My cats didn't like the food, but they ate some. Today I found my young cat dead. It could be a coincidence, but I found it very strange. I want to do an autopsy, but its about $2000 and I cant afford that. I am very frustrated and I am looking for answers. What happened to my babe?

Original review: May 16, 2015

PURINA IS KILLING DOGS!!! I took my dog Louie to the vet when he stared to gain weight the vet said he was fine, I just needed to change his diet and get him some exercise. I also told him he was eating clothing. He said some dogs just do that. I looked up and couldn't find any real reason. So I started walking him more and changed his dog food to Purina One. He gained more weight and was bloated all the time and no matter how we tried to keep him away from eating clothing he would always find a way to eat some.

We had changed dog food not knowing about the problems with Purina but it was too late. In the end he was drinking a lot of water, he starting urinating, vomiting and had shortness of breath. We took him to the vet and he said he had diabetes and his blood count was very bad. He said there was nothing we could do. Louie died 17 hours later on March 17th, 2015. He was only eight years old. We just discovered PURINA IS KILLING THOUSANDS OF DOGS. We have two dogs, it only affected Louie. DON'T FEED PURINA!!! There is a lawsuit against Purina.

Original review: May 16, 2015

We have feed our orange tabby cat oats Purina kitten and cat chow complete since we have had him. He is 7 months old and should have ABSOLUTELY NO HEALTH PROBLEM!!! Last night we noticed he was acting weird, not waiting to be touched which is not like him at all. He is very loving and sweet. We rush him the vet clinic and we discover at 7 months a perfectly healthy cat has develop mega colon. Now we're going to be out of all our bills. Just because the cat food we have fed caused his colon to enlarge and him not to be able to use the bathroom. Purina is poison and I will never buy it again!!!

Original review: May 14, 2015

I bought it for my dog and he has skin allergies and got sick from it, from the food. I hate the food and I will never buy it again.

Original review: May 14, 2015

On April 16th I bought a large bag of Purina Cat Chow to feed the housed rescued cats that live in my garage and the outdoor wild cats. The indoor garaged cats have had no contact with my indoor housed cats or outside wild cats. Unfortunately, 3 days ago I noticed yellow vomit, diarrhea and 4 dead cats 10 months old or younger in my garage. Yesterday, 4 more cats were also found dead in my garage of the same age. Only 2 adult (greater than 2 year old) cats remain in my garage. Unfortunately, they do not look well. I have noticed several moths in the garage, presumably from the cat food housed in my garage. I have a large garage to house these rescues. I attend to them daily, changing their litter twice per day and monitoring their health and food intake. These cats have been in my garage for 10 months or longer without outside contact.

My indoor cats are perfectly healthy, but they are fed a higher quality of food. In fact, I took in another rescue mama that has 4 week old kittens in my house and seems to be perfectly healthy. Based on this observation, I can only conclude that Purina Cat Chow is responsible for the death of these 8 cats. The outside wild cats have all disappeared with the exception of two older ones. I am concerned that they have suffered the same fate. I realize that these are very harsh statements but something is going on. I believe the only source of the poison for these garaged cats and the disappearance of the outside cats must be the cat food. Purina, please investigate this horrific tale. I use a container to house my food so that bugs don't get into it in my garage. I do not have the bag any longer, but it was bought at Sam's Club April 16th, 2015 in Ontario, California.

Original review: May 10, 2015

Got Purina Beyond Tuna and Egg dog food in May 2015. After a week mini pin started throwing up for 2 days then diarrhea for 3 days foul smelling. Now have him on rice water and rice for 24 hrs and seems to be getting better but now other dog a beagle is have same symptoms. Will start rice water next meal. Would not recommend buying this food.

Original review: May 10, 2015

I bought a box of Friskies Dry Food Kitten for my husband to feed the cats. As I was going away I bought the full box of 10 x 1 kg boxes. Well I came home and found dead bugs around the box. Opened one of the boxes into a plastic bag and I found bugs by the next morning there were more and more. I feed my cats at night so I would not of the seen them. 40 boxes all in the bin. Total waste of money. After reading the other complaints I binned the lot and will boycott all Purina products. I have photos and videos too.

Original review: May 10, 2015

We recently lost our 4 year old cat Gizmo-kitty. He also started vomiting foam and yellow bile. I thought it was a hairball problem for some time until he started throwing up the yellow bile and became very lethargic. It happened very quickly, he was ill over the weekend, took him to the vet on Monday and by then his ears had lost all their color. The vet said he had severe anemia, they put him on steroids, but we had to have him put down a few days later, as his body was attacking itself. The vet said it was genetic.

About two months later our 1 year old kitten started the same symptoms. We immediately put him on steroids and began trying different foods. Just recently my son made me aware of an issue with Purina dog food, so we changed brands of food, as up until that point we had only changed kinds of food but stayed within the Purina brand. Orion our one year old kitten is just about back to himself again, praise God. But I can not believe what I was seeing when I found this website. It is completely unacceptable that this has gone on so long, and so many people have lost their loved ones. They need to be held accountable for what is happening.

Original review: May 9, 2015

I bought a bag the other day for the very first time, all three dogs are throwing up and have bloody mucus stools. This is not right Purina. You suck.

Original review: May 8, 2015

I have 3 cats, all their life I fed them Purina hard food. I gave them Cat Chow Indoor and all the fancy feast hard food. I noticed 1 cat throwing up all over the house every damn day & then the other 2 started... Please read what they use in the cat food! When I read what they were putting in our baby's food made me sick - guts, eyeballs, road kill animals of all kind, fish heads etc... OMG. How can they get away with this?? I wish the people that lost their baby's would take a class action against Purina! It has to stop. Please don't feed your cats & dogs any kind of Purina!!!

Original review: May 7, 2015

Purina Large dog food killing my Rottweiler. In September of 2014 I noticed my dog's breath was smelling like ammonia and she was wetting in her bed. She is 6 years old and she's never wet her bed in her life. Took her to the vet to find out what was going on and they have put her on high blood pressure medication. It is now May 2015. My dog is now losing weight. Her fur is dull and she does not look the same. I am so afraid that she will be dying because of this horrible terrible food Purina has out. Everyone in all the stores are buying this food and they are not taking it off the shelves. Shame on Purina from murdering our animals.

Original review: May 7, 2015

I fed my 15lb and my 70lb dogs this brand of food. The following day the smaller dog was continuously panting and the bigger dog had serious gas. Fed them again the following day, and same problem, but my little dog was panting throughout the night and day and with little movement. Stopped the food since it had been the only change to their diet. Gave them both white rice, vegetables, and a little boiled chicken which helped with recovering. Returned the product to Target, told clerk it made my dogs sick! This product should be removed from shelves immediately! I just got lucky, know my dogs behavior, and stopped feeding them the product in time.

Original review: May 3, 2015

At least three times during the last couple years, I purchased Purina Whisker Lickin's for my cat because she loves them; but she always threw up within an hour. I never connected it to the Whisker Lickin's until today. Today I gave just one little morsel to each of my three cats and they ALL threw up! My dog, being very jealous natured, wanted one also, so I gave him one - he threw up as well. I just researched this product online and there are several complaints about cats getting sick. I am so surprised Purina, a name that's been around for such a long time, would make a product that could potentially harm an animal. I'll never buy this product again. Also, I am now lacking confidence in Purina products in general, so will find another brand for my cats and dog.

Original review: April 28, 2015

About a month ago I purchased a large bag of Purina SmartBlend Hairball formula food for my 3 cats. After over 3 weeks I was sure they should have adjusted to the food, since changing from Purina one. But all three of my cats were throwing up daily from this food. Once I found out that my other family members had been cleaning up the cat vomit, and that it wasn't just one sick cat, but all three had been sick every single day, I removed the food and replaced it with Iams. Since the day we switched to Iams, none of my cats have thrown up. I am worried this food is contaminated. I called Purina and filed a complaint.

To make things worse, the carpet all over my home is stained from this food. Even industrial carpet cleaner hasn't removed the stains. I can't imagine what is in the food that would cause this sort of staining. But it can't be good for my pets. One of my cats is still not back to normal, she's still thinner than usual and acting more shy than ever... which is a sign of illness. Codes on the bag are 17800-01262 and manufacture number is 50031079 1344L07 exp July 2016. 16 lb bag purchased from Petco in Apex, NC.

Original review: April 27, 2015

Purina One Smart Blend - I bought my dogs this food. My puppy is throwing up and has the poops. She looks skinny and sick in her eyes. I am taking her to the vet today.

Original review: April 27, 2015

I absolutely swore by this food for years. It was the only cat food I gave mine (dry or canned), and (at the time) I believed it was one of the reasons my cats lived so long. I've had 17 cats so far. 12 of those lived of 15 - 22 years. My newest 5 are all younger than 9. SOMETHING HAS CHANGED. I switched to Purina ONE Hairball Formula back in January because of the furball problem my 2 Persian mixes had. Since then, 4/5 of my cats have since been to the vet at least 1x each, and extremely ill. Out of the blue, they will gag without producing furballs, lose their appetites, become lethargic, and subsequently get throat infections. Since switching to a higher quality brand, it's all changed. SOMETHING IS WRONG. After reading the many complaints about Purina, I've come to the conclusion that they've changed something. Until they admit something is wrong, I will NEVER go back. PLEASE look into something vet recommended.

Original review: April 27, 2015

I recently changed my dog's food from the expensive brand at PetSmart to this Purina one. Immediately she began vomiting and foaming at the mouth and having diarrhea all over the house. Upon doing research online I see others are experiencing the same thing. I am throwing this away. What a shame, and a huge scare. I can't imagine losing my baby in this manner. All I wanted to do was feed her the best food for a reasonable price. Anyone who I hear trying this brand I will say STOP!

Original review: April 26, 2015

I recently ran out of the regular food I feed my Old English bulldogs which is Blue Buffalo. I went to a store and thought "Let me just grab a bag to get through the weekend" so I bought Purina One Smart Blend and after feeding to my 2 dogs they both threw up but it gets worse. The one who ate the most started vomiting blood puddles of blood from this food, the other dog who had just a lil' bit just threw up and acted lethargic and is a 3-month-old puppy who for the last 24 hours has slept and hopefully going to get better. The other dog has ended up in a vet emergency room very ill. Contacted Purina on a Sunday and posted on Facebook and I was shocked on how fast they called me back, guilt probably, image control definitely. My dog was healthy and never ill, no allergies. Both dogs within hours of eating this poison got ill. To see your dog throwing up puddles of blood is disheartened.

I quickly went online to see if there were recalls and by my surprise, the amount of web pages warning of the Nestle company aka Purina aka Beneful company and dogs becoming ill after eating their product were unbelievable and cannot believe no laws or government has stepped in to protect our pets which are living breathing animals which are being poisoned and no one is held accountable. So far the emergency room visit and my dog being kept overnight is costing me thousands and Purina answer to me is "Can our vet contact your vet?" What kind of company has a vet on stand by? They know what their products are doing.

I kept a sample of the food to find a trusted person to test the food to see what chemical or poison is in the food. The quick response on a Sunday from the company leaves me to believe that they have a customer service team dedicated to respond to this cause they know their product is capable of murdering. Yes murder that's what it is when you willing and lawfully know the actions taken lead to a death intentionally.

Original review: April 22, 2015

My 3 cats stop eating and one of them kept throwing up violently. I had open a bag of cat food one month ago and noticed moth flying around but did not realize they were coming out of the bag of cat food. After my cat got sick I took a close look in the bag and saw the moth, larva and some beetle-like bugs in the food. I phoned Purina and they said they were grain bugs and they don't cause illness but my 500$ vet bill says otherwise. Purina refused to test the food or the vomit and admit their food had anything to do with it. Purina tried to say the bugs are from my house but I live in Canada - it's the middle of winter and there are no bugs here in the winter.

Original review: April 22, 2015

Purina Beneful healthy weight dry dog food resulted in the horrific death of my much loved beagle Daisy and cocker spaniel Beau who both died of massive internal haemorrhages. 2 weeks prior to this they were healthy but I noted a foul odour from them both. They both were was vomiting yellow emesis immediately after consuming Beneful. I would have done anything to save them but there was nothing that my vet could do despite multiple veterinary consultations. When Daisy died blood exploded across a diameter of more than 10 meters. I will never forget her death. Immediately after Daisy's and Beau's deaths my Golden retriever Max also suffered from vomiting yellow semi formed emesis and a foul odour, an internal bleed and a stroke.

I contacted Purina in Australia but they didn't care less. It is indeed evident that Purina Beneful killed my beloved dogs. I am a health professional and all the symptoms match the documented product signs and symptoms reported. Their vile animal murdering products most definitely need to be removed immediately from sale and this company must be held accountable for it's murder of animals and its disgusting no care attitude.

Original review: April 15, 2015

We were feeding our cat Purina Indoor formula from the moment we got him. We adopted him at 6 months and he was perfectly healthy with no medical issues. Within weeks of feeding him this food, he began vomiting and having diarrhea. We took him to the vet, and she suggested a natural cat food. We switched to Purina Naturals as it was supposedly so much better. The vomiting continued. My cat’s breath became intolerable. He would vomit foam and yellow bile, when he wasn't immediately vomiting food back up.

We took him to the vet again and she could not understand what was wrong with him. He went on steroids to get his appetite up, but it didn't work. On a whim, I switched to another food. Spot's Grain Free. It's more expensive than Purina was, but I was desperate. My cat was dying and something had to be done. Within 3 days of the food change, my cat completely stopped vomiting.

Within 2 weeks his breath is better, and he's not vomited once aside from a normal springtime hairball. He's been on a new food for a month now, and he's put on a healthy amount of weight. He's playful. If you're reading this, DO NOT FEED PURINA TO YOUR PETS. I have read so many sad stories from people, and I almost lost my cat to that food too. Pay a little more for your food. It'll pay for itself just from all the thousands of dollars you won't have to spend taking your animal to the vet.

Original review: April 15, 2015

My husband bought a selection of Purina Brand/Friskies - all fish flavored as he figured the cats would like it. I offered it to my pair of 1 year old kitties; one refused it and the other ate it. My son told me that one wouldn't eat it and I told him to leave it as he would eat it when he was hungry. I wish I had thrown it away then. Both ended up eating it; one more than the other. Only a few hours after I gave the kitties "Captain's Catch" flavor, did they begin vomiting.

At first I thought it was that they had eaten too much (Mr. Wobbles tends to be a bit of a piggy) and when they began with diarrhea, I knew something was wrong. I left fresh water out and by the end of the second evening of vomiting and refusal to eat and drink, I rushed them to the vet for emergency subcutaneous fluids and metronidazole as well as shots for anti nausea and anti diarrhea. One pulled through and seemed fine. Mr. Wobbles however, continues to fail. He will be spending the night at the vet with intravenous fluids and under watch. They are only 1 year old. DO NOT feed your pets Purina products. Don't take a chance.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information