2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Not happy with this product and will never purchase it again. Upon opening it the perfume was so strong that I could actually taste it as the smell was everywhere. Biggest complaint is this stuff is so fine it sticks to my cat's back end and bottom of her feet which is upsetting to her and it is then tracked all over the place. She is constantly washing it off and this cannot be healthy to ingest.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

My 2 cats suffered severely from eating Purina's Friskies Dry Food "Indoor Sensations". They are big dry food eaters. They ate a newly opened bag and became violently ill including vomiting blood, being in pain and becoming "lifeless". Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened to them after eating Friskies dry food but it was the WORST episode and I was able to pinpoint the cause this time. Whatever was in the Friskies was very poisonous. Luckily they are both part Maine Coon cats and are very large and healthy... I think that is what saved them from death. I will NEVER buy a Purina product again and recommend anyone to stay away from Purina pet foods. Even though my cats suffered 10-15 hours of agony, they were fortunate to pull through... Unlike many of the stories about deaths of pets that have ingested Purina products on the internet.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

I had fed my dogs Purina dog food since I was a kid, I am 46 now. So for four decades my family and I spent our hard earned money on Purina products. I had a dog who started having seizures and quickly lost him. Not a month later another one of my dogs started having seizures, I started looking for causes then a third best friend started seizing. I did nothing more than change dog food and this dog recovered and lived two years more to the age of seventeen, having done nothing but change food. I contacted Purina and was hung up on, rudely talked to and treated badly in general. I no longer will feed Purina products to my dogs, and Nestle owns them now so I wonder what they are feeding humans. Avoid this foul company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

It is very confusing on what to buy. What is healthy? Good for the price? I read as much as possible on nutritional, healthy food. I have gone to independently owned pet stores and asked question. I look for samples to see if it's something my dog would like. I found there is no regulations on dog food. The advice is follow your instinct, as long as dog is healthy, go with what you can afford. Do not buy into the gluten free, natural, high price dog food.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Purina puts a lot of color dyes and other nasty chemicals in most of their food. These are very harmful to your pets. And Beneful causes a lot of dogs to have diarrhea due to the color dyes in the product. If you have to buy Purina, buy their One or Pro Plan products which are better than their other products because they don't contain as many harmful chemicals.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

Purina Pure Instinct turkey/venison is 1 food that my dog finally likes. She was picky with other foods she was given. There are also other varieties available.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Was on there just right by Purina fb page. I was posting how one of their foods made my dog ill and was arguing about the items they put in their food, they proceeded to block me from writing any more post and deleted all my comments. The corn isn't digestible or very nutritional which is why more reputable companies put in peas or spinach or other vegetable that have more than double the amount of protein and fiber.

The fact that they don't have any pure flesh in their dog food, just by-products is cause for concern. Certain by products like lung and liver are fine but they don't list chicken-liver so it can be anything from spleen, brain, neck, back, the feet, etc. Legally they can put diseased cows in their food which is why I think could be a factor to a lot of deaths linked to their food. If I could give them a 0 I would. Awful company, they just put the cheapest ingredients, spend all their money on advertisement. They could care less bout your dogs or cats.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Got a bag of Purina One SmartBlend weight management. My dog threw up after eating it all over my bedding and living room. I have a German Shepherd. I inspected food. Found mold on the food. I immediately threw it all out. Got a different brand Purina dog chow complete and she hasn't threw up anymore. I think the Purina SmartBlend dog foods should be inspected to keep this from happening to other people's pet. That's 20 some dollars down the drain for me and I'm on a fixed income and disabled.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I believe our dog died at age 11 from eating Benefuls playful life. This was the only food she ate and she died before three different vets could determine what was making her lose weight, vomit, fill with fluid. It wasn't Cancer as they had expected, she died before they could do further testing.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I have bought two bags of Purina One Smart Blend large breed puppy formula that both had bugs, worms, and moths in them. Both were the chicken kind. The first bag was 31.1 pounds and second was the smaller 16-pound bag. First bag bought at Petco and second at PetSmart. I took the second bag back because I had saved my receipt this time and the store had no problem exchanging it for another bag. One of my pups got sick last week and now I wonder if I didn't catch the replacement bag and it too had bugs and got her sick. I have 4 dogs so I go through a lot of food. Purina rep on the phone gave me attitude because I didn't call them first before going to the store and blamed it on the store warehouse. I bought the bags at different stores and both had bugs. I am switching back to Blue Buffalo. I love my pups too much to take any more chances.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I bought the Purina food from a feed lot store which offered the best pricing. Sometime I would go and they were out, showing that it was a very popular brand the people liked for the dogs.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I use Purina One Smartblend healthy weight. Both of my dogs were overweight so I tried this. They lost weight and love the taste. I was using Blue Buffalo and they tired of the taste. I've been using Purina for four years and they still get excited at mealtimes. I also like that it's more than half the price of BB. I'm pleased with this brand.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I shop at BJ's Wholesale Club and they had a coupon for Purina One Beyond dog food. Coupled that with a manufacturers coupon and I got a great deal. Best of all, my Siberian Husky loved it and it's all I buy for her now.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Waggin Train chicken jerky - Our husky became very ill after eating these treats daily for a few weeks. The vet bill was close to a thousand dollars. We're still waiting to see if she will make a full recovery. I would advise everyone to boycott the Nestle Company completely. All their products may not be potentially deadly like this one but their business practices have been far less than above board for decades.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I adopted my toy poodles when they were 9 and their previous owner/breeder used Purina One Small Bites and recommended that. After I had them neutered they gained a little weight and I started looking at "mature" or "healthy weight" brands and found that in reality the calorie content in those is about the same and it looked like it was all about portion control anyway. So I went back to what they knew and liked and just give them less now and add pumpkin and string beans to make up the difference.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

My dogs are picky eaters. I finally found dog food they enjoy, Purina One. They love the real chicken bits.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

In the 40 some odd years of having as many as eight dogs at once, I could and still can always rely on Purina in providing them with a well balanced diet that is also affordable. Purina is a mainstay in our household!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I have used 9Lives, but my 4 cats prefer Friskies Pate. Two of the cats do not like "Bits' or "Shreds" or anything else with a gravy over some almost-meat product. When you buy this stuff, you are giving your cat more water and less meat. They also eat Meow Mix dry cat food. They like the food and I appreciate the recent change from the paper bag that was difficult to open, to the plastic bag that was easy to open.

Again, our cats do not like 9Lives dry food as much as Meow Mix or Friskies. When it is all over and the remains of the cat food leaves the cat, Arm & Hammer recently bought Feline Pine Cat Litter from Nature's Earth Products. If you have anyone in the house with asthma, you should not use any clay litter because the dust is so irritating. Feline Pine has no dust, doesn't track, controls odor naturally, and contains no pine oils. In addition to that, it is made from waste sawdust from furniture manufacturers. You can dump used Feline Pine into your "Green Lawn Waste" can.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I've given several of my dogs Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach dog food. It has no corn as an ingredient. Some terriers are sensitive to corn and my vet recommended this food. My dogs have thrived eating this food.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

During a recent trip to PetSmart, I was not able to find our regular brand of cat food and even though we didn’t need cat food I have one cat that eats only dry and we started to run low. She normally has hairballs AND is indoors. When shopping around for other items I stumbled into an area where a few bags of our regular brand was being (away from the aisle of cat food) and bunch of Purina Cat Chow bags. When asking the store employee if the bag of Purina would be better or the kind we usually used, he suggested the Cat Chow. We opened it and stored it in an airtight container, mixed it into their other cat food to change it slowly. My other cat that has digestive sensitivity, usually eats only wet food, attempted to eat the dry food two days ago.

Usually my teenage boys feed at night so I haven't inspected the dry food as it's put out, however I became aware of the problem with the food when my digestive sensitive cat puked near my bed two days in a row. This morning there was several dry food pieces in the dish with both worms and grain eating bugs. I almost puked seeing the creatures scamper about. I then inspected the air tight container to my surprise there was an infestation. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS FOOD. We have only had it a few weeks, and now I understand why the food was kept separate from the aisle shelves.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

For about the past month, my cats have been throwing up the Friskies brand cat food in a can. I continue to purchase at least 32 cans per week because I am feeding 5+ cats total. Now, they totally refuse to eat it and it lays around till I throw it away. This is getting expensive and I am considering the 9 lives brand. I have written the Purina company about this and all I got was a letter about sending in control numbers stamped on the can and which I did, but haven't heard from them since!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I'm currently using Purina One SmartBlend Healthy Weight. The food I used before was Blue Buffalo. My dogs were tiring of it and weren't excited about eating. So I made a change (about 3 or 4 years ago) to the Purina. My dogs absolutely love this food. They can hardly contain themselves when it's time to eat. There is never a crumb left in the bowl. One dog is fussy; the other is not. The biggest benefit has been the weight loss. I took away dog treats except one natural cookie. The treats the rest of day is baby carrots. But my dogs are at their ideal weight now and maintain. They get so excited when I buy a new bag. They stand next to me wagging their tails while I pour it into the bin. So, great food.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

Not sure yet if it's Purina canned food affecting my dog but after reading these horrendous stories, I'm going first thing in the morning and buying different foods. My dog has been having terrible anal gland issues, gas, stomach noises and tonight after eating, a rash on his lip and acting a little strange. Oh, and he HAS been drinking lots of water. I'm hoping having him on this a month hasn't damaged him. I will let you know how it goes. And I know I shouldn't drastically change his food but I don't dare give him 1 more morsel of Purina. At least until I know!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I was feeding my coondog dog chow when she got sick. She was coughing and vomiting for a couple of days then she died on her box. This dog was worth 30,000 dollars. She was only 4 years old and in great shape. She passed away October 20, 2015.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I feed my dog Purina One or Purina SmartBlend and add lean chicken breast to it for added flavor and protein. My dog won't eat it otherwise. She is very healthy and active, so she burns off the extra protein easily. She seems to prefer the Smart Blend over Purina One dry dog food.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

My dogs have always liked this brand. Since there are different flavors she doesn't get tired of eating the same brand. Every so often we switch flavors so she doesn't get tired of the same flavor. Tried other brands but after a couple weeks of eating I was throwing more away than she was eating.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

My springer spaniel is almost 7, so I decided to change her food and bought Pro Plan Vitality for dogs over 7. She ate one serving about 11 am and was rushed to the vet at 2:30 pm with hives, swollen face, panting furiously, whimpering, frantic, and with fully dilated and glazed over eyes. She's at the vet overnight and I will know tomorrow if she's ok. Don't risk buying this food for your pets.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Did not cause stomach upset, while more expensive brands (including Blue Buffalo) caused gastric distress that included excessive gas, bloating and diarrhea in an older active dog.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

I use Purina Pro. My dog seems to like it, although he picks out the meaty part most of the time. He would go back later and he would eat the rest. He only likes the turkey and chicken. He does not like the lamb.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

I was feeding my 14 year old Lab Purina Beneful Healthy Weight after needing to buy a less expensive food due to financial hardship. My dog became very sick after introducing this food to his diet. He had trouble walking, diarrhea & vomiting. I researched the food and found other owners with these experiences. We immediately stopped the food and my dog got better. He can walk again, is no longer vomiting, and no diarrhea.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information