2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (979 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Purina Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: March 17, 2016

I gave my 9 yr old cat Beyond. She got sick, drooling from mouth, twitching jaw and face. She had itchy skin and some of her hair was falling out. She couldn't drink out of her bowl. She walked staggering. I took her to the vet. He said she has low blood sugar levels. She might be poisoned. He gave her med. Told me to bring her back 2 days to do some blood work... my friend called said "don't feed her Purina food. It is killing pets." She had read online. I said "what, is it from China?" She said they got bought out and it has poison in it. I changed her food to 9 lives. She doing a little better but weak. Take this poison food off the shelf. How could this company poison our beloved pets. A company that supposed be quality.

Original review: March 16, 2016

I trusted Purina foods for years. Seem safe but past 3 years I had bad luck with purina. My 18 cat died after eating purina beyond. She had diarrhea, shaking head, low blood pressure, low temps. Made 2 loud cries on my couch and died. I spend 500.00 at animal hospital trying save her life. She died June 2013. Then my friend 9 yr cat so sick. She was shaking, mouth twitching, dehydrated, couldn't walk, can't drink out of a bowl, had skin rashes. From purina naturals. He switch to 9 lives. She so much better.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We have 4 indoor cats in my house. Two are 12 years, one is 7 years, and the youngest is about 2 years (recently acquired when my grandmother passed away this past January). We have fed them Purina foods for almost their entire lives. Once they grew into adults we gave them the Indoor Cat Chow. Several months ago one cat started to vomit every day, sometimes twice a day. The other two appeared to be fine. My mom then switched to Purina Cat Chow Sensitive formula. However, Lizzy continued to vomit every day. She was taken to the vet for tests, but they were not conclusive.

I recently started doing a lot of online research on her condition and other brands and formulas of cat food. Lizzy may possibly have IBD or an intolerance to something in the food (possibly chicken or turkey). It's hard to know for sure because Purina has crappy ingredients like "poultry by-product meal". I feel terrible because I didn't know any better until I started doing research on cat food (both dry and canned/wet food).

In the middle of January, I switched the cats from Purina to a combination of Natural Balance Indoor Rabbit and Salmon Meal, and Wellness Complete Health Senior dry cat food. Lizzy still vomited up a decent amount of food every day for the 2 weeks it took to transition them. After they were completely off Purina, Lizzy still got sick, but she vomited up a lot less food. All of the cats showed improvement once Purina was cut from their diet. Their coats became a lot softer and shinier, they had more energy, their eyes became brighter, and my cat Abby didn't appear to have as much stiffness in her hind legs because of her arthritis.

We started experimenting with canned cat food with novel proteins for Lizzy that do not have carrageenan in them, along with the dry food. She took to it right away and begged for more, which was strange because our cats are kibble addicts. She did not vomit when she ate the canned Wild Calling Rabbit. So we will have to continue to experiment and hopefully our other cats will take to eating some wet food too.

To sum everything up, Purina cat food is total crap. My family and I were feeding our fur babies nasty, by product, and filler laden food for years (not knowing any better). I just hope that if there was damage done to our cats, that they can get and feel better just by the change of their food. And I empathize with other pet parents who either had similar issues or lost a beloved fur baby due to Purina's food. My advice is to stay away from all of Purina's food products.

Original review: March 7, 2016

My husband & I received a sample package of Purina One SmartBlend from a Petco location in San Antonio as we checked out last Sunday, 2/28/16. I thought twice about taking it but thought, "Oh, I'll just throw it away when we get home." (I have been feeding my dogs organic food for over 20 years). We recently adopted a 10-month old white highland terrier puppy IN PERFECT HEALTH. We also have an 8+ yr old chow/heeler mix, and a 15-yr old minpin mix, both healthy as well. Unbeknownst to me, my husband mixed in the Purina with their regular organic dog food (Acana, Fromm, & one new one I had not purchased before) on Monday night.

On Thursday evening, I arrived home to find vomit everywhere & our 10-month old puppy dead! I found dark bloody stool as well, so I knew she had had a GI bleed/hemorrhage. The chow/heeler mix was extremely ill, had vomited as well, and had labored breathing. The minpin mix was fine, but she is old, blind, and stays inside most of the time. I thought they had been poisoned, but we only use natural products in the yard, so it was a mystery. Needless to say, I was shocked and devastated.

It took me 2 days to realize what had happened. The kibbles I didn't recognize when I was feeding were too large for our minpin (she has few teeth), so I removed them from her bowl -- I believe this is why she was unaffected. Our chow/heeler mix is still being treated at the vet with kidney and liver failure (this is Sunday, 3 days after the incident), & I don't know whether she will survive. I am heartbroken. I am ABSOLUTELY convinced that this horrible food killed and sickened our dogs and am outraged that Purina is still in business!!! The experience rating field required 1 star, but I would not have given any if that had been a choice.

Original review: March 6, 2016

What are we to do? Maybe products should be required to be labeled if ANY portion came from outside the country and name the country. I have used Purina because during the initial pet food scare years ago, Purina was not on the list of recalls. So I have exclusively been feeding my dogs and cats Purina products, Little Bites and any Purina cat food. I just switched the cat from Meow Mix to Purina Indoor cat food. She doesn't want to eat this food, maybe for a reason. Starting about a month ago, my dogs started refusing the Little Bites dog food. It will sit in their bowls until they are starving. Something has changed for the worse with this company. I will stop this food, but what next? Will start googling for a better quality product that is not on a recall list. Thank goodness for recall lists.

Original review: March 4, 2016

My husband bought One SmartBlend puppy formula a few days ago by accident for our 10 year old Cattle Dog. We fed him that and later that day, our dog became lethargic, and that night he threw up and had diarrhea. The throwing up and a red-brown diarrhea continued for the next several days until yesterday I realized that it may be related to his food. The other One SmartBlends for adult dogs were not giving him trouble, but it seems that this one may have chemicals or something in it. The serial number on the bag is 53096001 0008L02 and it says on the bag that it was manufactured in St. Louis, MO. We live and bought the dog food in Pittsburgh, PA.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

Since I have switched back to Purina pro plan savor my three dogs are lethargic, throwing up, diarrhea, fever. I started them all out on this product when they were puppies then they all got sick. Vet now says food is safe again so I switched back for one week now. Now going back to something other than a Purina product that is killing our dogs slowly.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

Purina One Smartblend Large Breed Dog Food - I have no idea why there are so many negative reviews since I've been feeding my four (4) GSD's this product for years with no problems what-so-ever. No diarrhea, no vomiting, nothing at all. They are all very happy and active dogs and in my sole opinion the other reviewers are nuts.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

Started feeding my dogs Purina Puppy chow. All 3 started vomiting, one of them had a horrible seizure that lasted quite some time. Be warned and read the reviews!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

I have been purchasing Purina products for some time now and it seemed that my cats and dog was always getting sick, vomiting and severe diarrhea on many occasions and I couldn't understand why. Just today, February 4, 2016, I was awaken in the middle of the night with one of my cats vomiting again. I thought it was just another hairball, but no hair was found after I fed my animals with this product. After I got up the next morning, after feeding a bowl full of Kitten Chow, I found 5 and a half piles of vomit, with a milky brown substance mixed within.

They are house cats and I figured it out, finally, it was the food after I quickly googled the possibilities. I found out and narrowed it down to the above-stated food. I googled the Purina Company and I found out through lawsuits, veterinarian blogs and other blogs, that this company's animal food was contaminated with chemicals not fit for human food or animal consumption!! I am appalled by it. After many calls to the store where I purchased it and the Purina Company, which lead me to an answering machine and numerous runarounds, just blowing me off... I will NEVER purchase another Purina product again in my ENTIRE life, NEVER!!! I'm searching for an Attorney at the moment!!! Pissed in OHIO!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

I bought Purina Wagging Train Chicken Jerky Minis from Price Chopper at Woods Chapel Road Lee's Summit. Gave my dog the treats. He was happy gobbled them up as usual. He loves those treats but in about 15 minutes he retched painfully, his eyes bulging, his tongue lolling out and he could not move. He lay like he was dying. After 15 minutes I was able to raise him and he could hardly walk. This dog is very years old, 55 pounds, a golden and chow mix. He is not eating anything now even real broiled chicken or his regular food. Please stop any imports of products for dogs from China immediately. There seems to be many folks reporting this kind of reaction about this product. Expiry date on the product is October 2016. The serial numbers on the pack: 5184T031 0201WA7, 4549276384 201507.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

At 2 weeks old, my cat, now 6, was found abandoned and given to me, a volunteer animal foster, to be her surrogate mother. Needless to say, we bonded, and I chose to adopt her. I try to give her the best that I can, and Purina was the brand of choice for the organization that I adopted her from, so that is what I fed her. She had some problems with vomiting, however, so I switched her to the new Gentle Formula. At first she seemed better, but then she began vomiting immediately after eating. After this happened a few times, she began turning down food, even treats, so I knew that it was time to take her to the vet. It was discovered that she was so constipated that she had a blockage in her intestines, and the muscles in the intestinal walls were not functioning properly. After some fluids and medication, she got better, and I didn't change her food.

However, she continued to have relapses, which I would quickly treat with the medicine the vet gave to me. I began to wonder if there might be a dietary solution, something that would prevent the blockages, and that's when I began to suspect that the food might be what was causing her problems in the first place. I have read several complaints on this board about cats having the same reaction to Purina Gentle Formula. It causes hard, large stools that are nearly impossible for the cat to pass, creating an intestinal blockage and leading to vomiting because the cat simply has no room in her body for anything else.

I am lucky that Saya lived through her ordeal, and I will never feed her or any other pet Purina again. I hope that, with that "food" taken away, Saya will make a full recovery and not need medications anymore. She is such a lively, sweet, playful young cat, when she is not sick. It is not right for her or any animal to have to suffer due to this company's irresponsibility.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

I am having multiple cats that are getting sick. We have over 20 cats. Most stay inside our home, some at totally outside cats. Our inside cats are suddenly getting sick. Vomiting and diarrhea. I am trying to figure this out and fast. Within the last week, I am seeing at least 10 of these cats getting sick. We have only ever had one of our females (orange tabby) to ever throw up. Occasionally there has been a few that might would throw up a hair ball. This is horrible. Very forceful vomiting & the diarrhea is very watery. The vomit is thin and brown. It almost looks like the diarrhea. After about 5 more have started this, I know this is very serious.

The only food in common that all eat would be the Purina One Dry (Salmon & Tuna flavor). They are given wet food at night but that is also the Purina Cup food. Not all the cats eat that. I am seeing them throwing up soon after they eat the dry food or about 30 to 45 min after eating the dry food. It is a horrible smell with the diarrhea & very watery, brown in color mixed with some reddish color which I am afraid may be blood. Since this actually started about two weeks ago, it is not from the same bag. It was purchased from the same store, Walmart in Emporia, VA. They go through well over $100 in food per week. The bowls are clean. We use throw away bowls for all wet food.

I am seeing my healthy cats throwing up & it is horrible!! Is the problem the food or could have this food been exposed to something at the Walmart? The bags appear to be sealed but it would be easy for that to not be the case. I still have the empty bags, but I need answers quick! I am especially worried about the smaller cats. They would have to be dehydrated with both the vomiting and the diarrhea? Do you have any recalls on any cat food? Has any other sudden problems been reported to Purina? I am scared that we are going to lose some of our kitties. All are over the age of 2 years old.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

Purchased bag of Beyond Cat Food. My cat started vomiting after first feeding. Was positive that was cause until second feeding when it happened again. She is two years old and has never vomited before. She is an indoor cat. I would strongly recommend choosing another brand. I know I will never use their products again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

Bought a bag of Purina Beyond white meat chicken and barley recipe about 2 weeks ago from Petsmart. I first opened the bag today, 12/20 and found maggots and what appears to be cobwebs?! Possibly mold?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

I have seven cats and had been buying this product from Kroger in Highland Village for many months. I buy five cases each time. This purchase of four cases was completely different in appearance and smell. My cat had severe diarrhea and vomiting that started two days later. I called Purina, got a Case No. for my complaint; they took numbers from the cans as I talked, promised to send instructions to send a can to them. This never happened. My cat is still on meds; I spent $98, quit the food for all when they started vomiting. This food is canned in Thailand.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

We bought a bag of Friskies Grillers from a Kroger in NC. One of our 2 cats immediately threw it up and the other has become very ill. He was a young healthy cat, now he can barely move, throwing up bile, and has not eaten in 2 days. We don't think he is going to make it. Trying this food was the only thing that changed, 2 cats had an immediate reaction to this food, nothing else has changed in their environment. They have eaten it before with no problems, there is a bad batch on the store shelves now. Please avoid, it may poison your cat!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2015

I have a 11 year old dog that never had stomach or skin problems till consuming the Purina Beniful dog food. We have took him to the vet and spent money on his health problems only to no avail.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Not happy with this product and will never purchase it again. Upon opening it the perfume was so strong that I could actually taste it as the smell was everywhere. Biggest complaint is this stuff is so fine it sticks to my cat's back end and bottom of her feet which is upsetting to her and it is then tracked all over the place. She is constantly washing it off and this cannot be healthy to ingest.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

My 2 cats suffered severely from eating Purina's Friskies Dry Food "Indoor Sensations". They are big dry food eaters. They ate a newly opened bag and became violently ill including vomiting blood, being in pain and becoming "lifeless". Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened to them after eating Friskies dry food but it was the WORST episode and I was able to pinpoint the cause this time. Whatever was in the Friskies was very poisonous. Luckily they are both part Maine Coon cats and are very large and healthy... I think that is what saved them from death. I will NEVER buy a Purina product again and recommend anyone to stay away from Purina pet foods. Even though my cats suffered 10-15 hours of agony, they were fortunate to pull through... Unlike many of the stories about deaths of pets that have ingested Purina products on the internet.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

I had fed my dogs Purina dog food since I was a kid, I am 46 now. So for four decades my family and I spent our hard earned money on Purina products. I had a dog who started having seizures and quickly lost him. Not a month later another one of my dogs started having seizures, I started looking for causes then a third best friend started seizing. I did nothing more than change dog food and this dog recovered and lived two years more to the age of seventeen, having done nothing but change food. I contacted Purina and was hung up on, rudely talked to and treated badly in general. I no longer will feed Purina products to my dogs, and Nestle owns them now so I wonder what they are feeding humans. Avoid this foul company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

It is very confusing on what to buy. What is healthy? Good for the price? I read as much as possible on nutritional, healthy food. I have gone to independently owned pet stores and asked question. I look for samples to see if it's something my dog would like. I found there is no regulations on dog food. The advice is follow your instinct, as long as dog is healthy, go with what you can afford. Do not buy into the gluten free, natural, high price dog food.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Purina puts a lot of color dyes and other nasty chemicals in most of their food. These are very harmful to your pets. And Beneful causes a lot of dogs to have diarrhea due to the color dyes in the product. If you have to buy Purina, buy their One or Pro Plan products which are better than their other products because they don't contain as many harmful chemicals.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

Purina Pure Instinct turkey/venison is 1 food that my dog finally likes. She was picky with other foods she was given. There are also other varieties available.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Was on there just right by Purina fb page. I was posting how one of their foods made my dog ill and was arguing about the items they put in their food, they proceeded to block me from writing any more post and deleted all my comments. The corn isn't digestible or very nutritional which is why more reputable companies put in peas or spinach or other vegetable that have more than double the amount of protein and fiber.

The fact that they don't have any pure flesh in their dog food, just by-products is cause for concern. Certain by products like lung and liver are fine but they don't list chicken-liver so it can be anything from spleen, brain, neck, back, the feet, etc. Legally they can put diseased cows in their food which is why I think could be a factor to a lot of deaths linked to their food. If I could give them a 0 I would. Awful company, they just put the cheapest ingredients, spend all their money on advertisement. They could care less bout your dogs or cats.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Got a bag of Purina One SmartBlend weight management. My dog threw up after eating it all over my bedding and living room. I have a German Shepherd. I inspected food. Found mold on the food. I immediately threw it all out. Got a different brand Purina dog chow complete and she hasn't threw up anymore. I think the Purina SmartBlend dog foods should be inspected to keep this from happening to other people's pet. That's 20 some dollars down the drain for me and I'm on a fixed income and disabled.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I believe our dog died at age 11 from eating Benefuls playful life. This was the only food she ate and she died before three different vets could determine what was making her lose weight, vomit, fill with fluid. It wasn't Cancer as they had expected, she died before they could do further testing.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I have bought two bags of Purina One Smart Blend large breed puppy formula that both had bugs, worms, and moths in them. Both were the chicken kind. The first bag was 31.1 pounds and second was the smaller 16-pound bag. First bag bought at Petco and second at PetSmart. I took the second bag back because I had saved my receipt this time and the store had no problem exchanging it for another bag. One of my pups got sick last week and now I wonder if I didn't catch the replacement bag and it too had bugs and got her sick. I have 4 dogs so I go through a lot of food. Purina rep on the phone gave me attitude because I didn't call them first before going to the store and blamed it on the store warehouse. I bought the bags at different stores and both had bugs. I am switching back to Blue Buffalo. I love my pups too much to take any more chances.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

I bought the Purina food from a feed lot store which offered the best pricing. Sometime I would go and they were out, showing that it was a very popular brand the people liked for the dogs.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I use Purina One Smartblend healthy weight. Both of my dogs were overweight so I tried this. They lost weight and love the taste. I was using Blue Buffalo and they tired of the taste. I've been using Purina for four years and they still get excited at mealtimes. I also like that it's more than half the price of BB. I'm pleased with this brand.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information