2. Pets

Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.42/5

Purina Pet Foods Shop on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Purina Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purina Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

I've been feeding my Ragdoll cat, Bromley, Fancy Feast for over 10 years. Up until recently (about a month or two ago) there has been no problem with any of the seafood varieties. Now, Bromley simply turns away from his feeding bowl whenever a fresh can of Fancy Feast is offered. A red ooze is seen collecting at the bottom of his bowl and from within the food once it is left out for a brief time (like an hour). I took pictures of the condition and called the Purina consumer line listed at their website. I would have written, but the website kept freezing and a communication could not be sent. This was on July 26.

I reached an associate named "Helen" on the phone who was more intent on sending me coupons (which I did not ask for or want). I gave her my contact information (phone number and email address) and she said I would hear from someone in 48-96 hours to discuss the problem. I was told I would be sent a link to which I could send the photographs...that never happened. I was given a case number before ending the call (Case #**). I've yet to receive a response. So, on 8/3 I called the consumer line again and this time got someone named "Reggie". I gave him my case number and asked why I haven't heard back and noted that I never received a call or received an email link. Reggie recited my phone number from the case record and then said they didn't have my email address to send the link for the photographs. Yeah, right...so why no call?

I've stopped purchasing Fancy Feast since the red ooze has mysteriously appeared and since Purina's call center has been uncooperative. To trust a national brand's reputation only to be dismissed without explanation or being basically ignored is unacceptable. I've been held to a higher standard while in the workplace and should expect no less from today's company representatives. The product manager responsible for allowing an ingredient or formulation change to go unreported to the consumer needs to take a step back and be reminded how this will affect their bottom line.

I've researched the other Purina products mentioned in these reviews and will clearly avoid them as well. I suggest to other consumers of Purina products to evaluate the dry and wet cat food selections from Fromm. You'll be pleased to see the label and analysis of the products' ingredients (I am not now or ever have been an employee of the Fromm company). I am simply a retired pet owner who is one of many who spend significant dollars on the care and feeding of my beloved companion animal. As for the cat food supply, it will be going in the trash. I wouldn't want to pass this condition on to the local animal shelter. Thank you for your attention. Purina/Nestle, wake up.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I have a 5 year old Shiba Inu and I switched him to Purina Beneful 1 month ago. Within 2 weeks I started noticing symptoms: lethargy, fur loss (his top coat was coming off, not his undercoat which sheds twice a year), weight loss. Four weeks later he was standing next to his sister (different owner and diet) -- they used to be the same colour but now he looked like a ghost next to her -- his fur lost its Shiba red and became very light and greyish. I suspected it was the food, so I switched dog food immediately. I noticed he got his energy and bounce within 1 day after switching away from Purina. Purina is garbage. I can't believe what I'm reading online about it, and now I know firsthand how terrible it is for dogs.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I bought my 5 year old Tuxedo cat a bag of Purina Complete cat food. Within days his fur began to fall off. I didn't know it was the food so I continued to feed it to him and took him to the vet. The vet suspected a flea allergy and he was on flea medication for months with no improvement. His hair had completely fallen out. I eventually switched him to Wellness cat food and in one week his fur started to sprout back, and in a month he was back to his beautiful black and white fur.

I adopted a dog (3 month old lab mix) back in April 27, 2016 and had her on Costco's Kirkland Nature's Domain food. This past Saturday (July 30,2016) we ran out of Costco food and since I don't have a Costco card I had to wait for my busy dad to go with me to buy some. So in a bind I went over to Walgreens and picked up a 5lbs bag of Purina Puppy Chow to hold us over a few days. Today is Wednesday August 3rd, 2016 (5 days on Purina) and my baby girl is sick. She was reluctant to go for a walk which she usually is very excited to go for. I was literally dragging her because she seemed like she didn't want to walk.

When she finally pooped it was the most disgusting poop I've ever seen. It was drenched in gross yellow slim, and slimy strings were hanging out her butt. On the way back home she began throwing up yellow slim. Since I've had her she has never thrown up except when she drinks too much water. I immediately stopped giving her Purina and searched around my house. I found a bucket that had about one bowl full of Kirkland dog food and gave it to her for breakfast. Do not buy this brand for any of your pets, the ingredients are total crap and they make animals sick.

Original review: July 29, 2016

Our senior dog (she's a lab/hound mix, weighs about 60 pounds, and is somewhere around 13 to 15 years old; we rescued her two years ago, and her age was only guessed at then) eats only Purina One Lamb and Rice Dog Food. Today I poured her a bowl from a new package. As usual, I put some wet food on top. She devoured the wet food but did not touch the dry food. Our dog is an eager eater, so I was totally puzzled. When I looked at the dog food, it looked very different from the way it usually does. It looked as though water had been poured onto it; the pieces were far larger than usual, and they were oddly shaped. Also, there was a very strong odor coming from the dog food. I don't think I will be feeding her any more of Purina One Lamb and Rice.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I can't believe I'm read other stories similar to mine and many complaints filed with the FDA and nothing is being done about this. This is what I wrote to Purina Sunday: "We have fed our cats Friskies Seafood Variety Pack for quite a while and all 6 really like it, until this most recent pack. I noticed they were not eating as well as they normally do, so I thought maybe they were just getting tired of those flavors until last night when none of them would eat any of it. Starting Wednesday one of our cats starting getting sick. She would not eat or drink, has had vomiting and diarrhea as well. Our kitten started with diarrhea yesterday and today one of our male cats is showing the same symptoms. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the food. Just didn't associate it until now. Have you had any other complaint? Please let me know ASAP. The one female cat is not getting better and I will probably have to take her to the Vet tomorrow."

Still have not heard back from them. I took a while to figure out what was causing this, but with watching the cats we figured it out, but I think it may have been a little too late for my older cat. Since this message on Sunday, the kitten is feeling a little better, the above mentioned female is starting to move around a little, but is still not eating at all and is not drinking much, and now my old man is very sick and I don't think he is going to make it. He is almost 14 and can't fight off whatever this food has done to him. I have since message Purina again and told them I will take this to Social Media if they do not respond, but you know I'm not going to wait any long and let other animals suffer because of their negligence. There has been many complaints with the FDA and nothing has been done about this. How many animals have to suffer before someone takes action?

Original review: July 6, 2016

The red dyes in this will make your cat get bad gas. My cat got a new bag over a week ago. I thought the colors looked brighter than before. I buy this a few times a year normally. It's Nine Lives, a tan colored. My cat who I had for 16 years ate this kit and caboodle once in a blue. Well my cat could not get to his litter box, had 2 accident on a runner and was doing the third on the hall carpet. Now I have three places that is bright pink from the dyes in this food... Even when I fling the mess off a piece of mess flipped on the runner and within a min it turned pink. My runner is ruined and what if a cat threw up?? OxiClean, Tide, vinegar would not work. It was like a woman dying her hair with red and it went pink that fast... Never will buy. Stay clear, cold kill you cat's kidneys.

Original review: June 25, 2016

My cats have been eating Cat Naturals for years with no problem. A few months ago they added vitamins and minerals to the food. My cats ate much less of the new food than normal. Then suddenly I had several cats with health problems. I have had two cats die from Kidney Failure and another one that was caught early enough to go on medicine. These cats were about 12 years old. Not young, but certainly not old either.

This is a report about a lawsuit against Purina. They used vitamin and mineral packs made in China and it seems they were tainted. My guess is they have done the same thing with the cat food and use vitamin packs from overseas. Of course the company has denied any wrong doing and if it proves the same with the cat food they will deny it as well. It can't be a coincidence that only since the vitamins were added to the food that I have had three cats diagnosed with kidney disease. I am currently feeding them Nutrish food because the manufacturer has an excellent rating and it is an American company. Please consider discontinuing the use of Purina food. If your cats shows signs of kidney failure, go to the vet and have a test done. The early symptoms are increased water intake and urination, weight loss and vomiting.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Purina Urinary Health cat food - I have used this cat food for many years without any problems until the last 2 years. I have lost 2 cats with kidney failure, 1 cat has had urinary tract infection, and 1 cat is in the hospital after surgery last night because of stones in the kidney and bladder. I have also noticed that some of the cats vomit after eating. This is the only food they were fed. I have many rescue cats. I do not want to lose them to kidney, bladder problems. What has happened to the food to cause so many problems in a short time? I am on SS and have paid so much trying to keep them alive. But the worse part is that I love these cats and have to watch them be sick or die. They have fresh water every day. I am so upset with Purina.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I have been feeding my cat Purina food for several years without any problems. She always seemed to like it and prefer it over other dry foods. But in the past 6 months or so it has been making my 9 year old cat ill. I did not realize that it was the food at first. But after paying close attention and narrowing it down it has become clear that the Purina food is the cause. My poor cat would start vomiting either almost immediately after eating the Naturals food formula, or within a few hours of consuming it. It seems to be only particular batches/bags of the food because she would sometimes eat it for a whole month with no issues whatsoever... then we would run out of that bag she had been eating, buy a brand new bag of it, and within a few hours of eating food from the new bag she would begin vomiting over and over. She always cried loudly like she was in pain before starting to vomit.

The vomit had nothing in it but the dry food bits and brown colored milky liquid. She then started acting hesitant to eat it, would cry and meow at me while looking at her dish, refuse to eat it, etc. But if I took that particular food away and offered her something else (dry food from another brand, wet food) she would eat with no hesitation and had a healthy appetite. This cycle has repeated itself several times in the past 6 months. It has happened mainly with the Naturals cat chow but also once or twice with the Purina Indoor Formula as well. I have just finally figured out that the Purina food has been the cause of her vomiting after realizing that she does not throw up any other food and after she cried and cried at her dish today full of the food, would not eat any more of it after vomiting right after every time she ate it today, and finally seemed so happy and hungry again when I went out and got her a new/different brand of dry food.

She has not vomited again after eating the new brand. After I did some research online and saw that others have had issues with and sick pets because of this same type of food I am convinced that something is wrong with this food!! And that my poor kitty has been trying to tell me all day that something is the matter with it!! Luckily she is smart enough and good enough at communicating with me that she made enough of a thing about how much she did not want to eat it. (She was actually meowing and getting me to follow her into kitchen and over to her dish, then standing by her food and crying and looking back at me, then the dish, and crying and meowing again.) I am so glad that she was able to tell me something was wrong and that I was able to figure it out and take the food away.

I am really worried about what may have happened had I not realized and taken it away from her. I am just shocked and pretty appalled that Purina continues to put this food on the shelves and sells it to unsuspecting pet parents!!! Especially when it is clear after doing some reading that I (and my cat) are not the only ones who have experienced this. It is terrifying to me that I had unknowingly been feeding my cat, who I love more than anything, something that was making her sick and could harm her! Why has this food not been recalled!?! I am going to call to report this to Purina first thing in the morning and want to contact the FDA as well. Do not feed Purina dry food to your cat!! I will not be buying ANY Purina products in the future as I no longer trust anything they make.

Please everyone report this in any way that you can to make sure every pet owner is aware not to feed this to their beloved pets!! Maybe if enough people come forward with this something can be done so it does not harm any other pets. We are lucky to have experienced only the vomiting and not some of the more intense symptoms and horror stories that I have read. Regardless of the severity of symptoms it is still a scary thing to have your cat become sick from the food you feed them every day. We should all be able to trust, when purchasing a brand as big as this, that their food is safe! it's absolutely horrifying that pets have become so ill or even died because of Purina and their negligence.

Original review: June 14, 2016

We have two cats. One has been vomiting daily for about 3 years. We've taken her to the vet numerous times, had blood work done, an MRI and a slew of expensive tests for allergies. They never find anything yet she pukes daily. The other cat seems to tolerate Purina kibble but her poop smells unrealistically bad and they both drink more water than is normal. In 40+ years of owning cats I've never seen two cats drink so much water. We've been trying to solve it by changing their wet food but after more than a dozen different brands the vomiting continued. We never once considered that it was the dry food. Why would we?

In all the decades of feeding cats in the past the Purina food was never an issue. If anything it was a "known good" element that we discounted from the troubleshooting. Two weeks ago we removed the dry food as a test. The puker stopped throwing up and the other cat is more regular in the litter box and neither one drinks as much water as they used to. To think, all this time we've been poisoning our own cats because we trusted Purina for decades in the past. It makes you wonder what they changed in the last few years to make it change so much. I wish there was more I could do to get the word out. Stop buying Purina, any of their products, not just the dry food. Send a message where it hurts them, in their wallet.

Original review: June 14, 2016

Please, do your pets a life saving chance and DO NOT feed them anything by Purina or Merrick (they own this brand also)! They may contain toxins, and or other harmful ingredients for your pet. My daughter and son-in-law lost my grand-dogger to acute pancreatitis and chemically induced hepatitis C due to feeding Beneful Healthy Weight food. That was the only thing he ate and could never have gotten poisoned by anything else as he was never out of their sight!

This company has been sued over and over again never to be held accountable for their actions because always for one reason or another their lawyers are able to weasel them out of it. They are an example of a large company doing harm with no repercussions and I may be just one small voice in a large crowd, but I am a mother and grandmother who can yell loud and clear. So PLEASE do your pet and yourself a huge favor and feed them something more nutritious like a limited ingredient diet. You may have to pay a little more, but at least you know your animal won't be sick or dead because of the food you are feeding them. Thank you for listening to one small voice.

Original review: June 10, 2016

I bought Purina pro plan about two weeks ago for my dog. Stupidly I didn't think about and fed it to her. After all of the bad reviews from their foods I have avoid it like the plague. Well it slipped my mind and Tuesday of this week she was vomiting. Last night she had a staggering walk where she couldn't make it far before sitting or lying down. I let her sleep in my bed because I was worried and at 5 am she peed on herself. It scared us both. She will be vet bound and I will report what happens after. Maybe it's unrelated but I telling you to avoid all of their products.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I have been feeding my cats this food for years with no problem but recently they have all become sick with vomiting and bloody diarrhea. I need a good lawyer. Does anyone know of one? If so please post. My two cats might not make it due to the food. Please help if there is a class action lawsuit then I need to know that. To everyone do not feed your cat Purina cat chow inside formula the green bag. It will make your cats sick or for a lawyer's name send me a message on **. This is ridiculous. Our cats are dying because of their negligence.

Original review: May 28, 2016

Two of my cats died from eating PURINA Kit n Kaboodle dry cat food! At this point I am very angry that a cat food made for cats kills them! There is no doubt as to what killed my cats that I rescued just to die from a dry cat food!! They were doing good until the bad cat food killed from kidney failure!

Original review: May 25, 2016

This company deserves no stars!!! After my sister switched to this lightweight Tidy Cat Kitty Litter, within days her 3 year old cat developed feline asthma and was rushed to the vet gasping for air. After a hospitalization, the cat came home but remains on expensive medications. After identifying this was the only change made to the cat's environment, an internet search revealed many consumers are having this problem with this litter and many felines have become ill and have even died. Purina has taken to paying vet bill for some of these cases, but has refused to do the responsible thing of pulling it or warning consumers. SHAME ON PURINA, WHO CLAIMS TO LOVE ANIMALS!

Original review: May 21, 2016

I have a 6 year old pit and she just recently had a litter of pups which are now 5 weeks old. I took them along with momma to my vet 2 weeks ago for a check up and he said they were all healthy. I started feeding them solids about a week ago and used Bil Jac dog food. They loved it along with momma dog. I went another route home from work one day and forgot to stop back by PetSmart to get another bag of Bil Jac. So I decided to go by local grocery store and just pick up another leading brand of dog food (at least I thought it was). Fed Purina Puppy Chow Complete to momma and pups 2 times. The next day I wake up to diarrhea everywhere!!! I immediately thought it was because I switched dog foods and it upset their stomach, but little did I know it was not after reading all these reviews.

Pups have been vomiting along with momma dog. Momma dog would not eat anymore of the Purina. I believe it because she knows something is wrong with it.

I told my husband not to feed them the Purina anymore and went up and got more of the Bil Jac. Pups and momma are now eating again and seem to be getting better. DO NOT BUY PURINA BRAND DOG FOOD!!! Hopefully I caught it soon enough and my dogs will be okay. I'm going to see how they feel over the weekend and if not 100% then I'm calling my vet.

Original review: April 28, 2016

Ok, this Friskies canned food has almost killed my senior cat. My 2 younger cats got really sick. Then I was able to figure it out. The pet skunk whom lives in the backyard won't even come near an open can of the stuff. And he's always hungry. Now all the pets have switched to pets' mart store brand food and are doing so much better. I'll never buy food made by this company again.

Original review: April 21, 2016

If I could give less than one star I would. 6 or so years ago we adopted a cat, and 2 years later, we got a kitten. Their entire lives they ate a variety of different foods, trying to find one they liked. Kit & Kaboodle seemed to be good from what we could tell. In hindsight I wouldn't of moved them from the Tractor Supply brand we were getting. I lost both cats to this food in the last month and a half.

1 month and 11 days ago we lost our Mr Bubbles. He lost weight, he wouldn't eat. He eventually died in my arms as I tried to rush him to the vet. He started panting and open mouth breathing. His brother although we lost him as well allowed us to treat him a bit. We rushed him to the vet, because he was also open mouth breathing and crying. They did x rays, and took blood work. He had elevated kidney levels, and was dehydrated. He had been eating just fine the day before, and the morning of. It was very sudden. They gave him fluids, and pain meds, and sent us home to monitor, and bring back in the morning. They were thinking crystals or a blockage. We cleaned the litter box, and went to bed so we could monitor. I woke up to him gone. He had passed away in his sleep over night. Please don't buy this food. Knowing what we know now, you love your cat, feed them like you do.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I am having the same problem with Purina cat food purchased from SAM's. I shop for my Mom as well and all our cats are sick including feral cats that live in her barn. After reading these reviews I am very concerned. My poor Mother is 85 years old and having to clean up this mess and worried about her kitties. I am taking one of my cats to the vets office today so we can hopefully get the problem identified. My Mother lives 90 miles from me so I can't help her much on a day to day basis. I am wondering what I can trust.

Original review: April 17, 2016

Our pets have always been fed Purina brand foods and we've never been dissatisfied. Last year we started feeding our four dogs (various breeds) Purina One and then switched to Purina One SmartBlend for the "chewy" pieces our dogs preferred. Last month we noticed the bag stated they had added "more soft chewy bits to every bag". We thought the dogs would love it. But, to our surprise, all four dogs, who previously "downed" their food, would hesitate and only nibble. Thinking they weren't used to the consistency change, we continued to feed them the Purina One SmartBlend. Two weeks ago, our 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback started vomiting every couple days. She would avoid eating. We thought maybe she had gotten into something in the backyard. In between the "sick", she would be fine.

Then, five days ago, our 5 month old Zuchon started vomiting and I noticed her stools were mushy. Also, my husband and I had to take both dogs outside "immediately" twice in the night because they had to either throw up (Zuchon) or had diarrhea (Ridgeback). My husband and I immediately threw out the Purina One SmartBlend and bought another brand of food. All four dogs have been eating ravenously and not once have they thrown up or had a spell of diarrhea. In fact, our two pugs, who we now realized had become lethargic, are running around and playing like they haven't in months! I believe this change in the product caused the illness in my pets. I will never trust Purina products again!

Original review: April 5, 2016

I bought my cat the Purina Naturals with vitamins and minerals on April first, 2016. Today my cat is dying. Why if this is killing our animals are they being allowed to sell this stuff. I went from a having a Beautiful 6 month old, very energetic, playful cat to this in four days? I didn't even know this was happening to others until I got online to ask questions about this product. It is a shame that Purina isn't pulling this POISON off the shelves. Who may I ask is going to help my cat get over this if she isn't dead by morning. I am outraged beyond RAGE...

Original review: March 25, 2016

We have 2 cats who have eaten Purina Naturals Cat food for the past 5 years and both, age 12 and 16, became Diabetic. Our Vet says NO DRY CAT FOOD is good due to the carbs. We lost the 12 year old this week, just could not get the diabetes under control. Better regulation is needed to stop pet food manufacturers from putting trash in our animal food just to boost their bottom line. Don't be fooled by the name, read the label and do your research.

Original review: March 18, 2016

Listen people whatever you do, do not feed your dog this food. If you love him/her you won't even if you can't get anything else. Go and find something different. Purina for some ungodly reasons uses propylene glycol. It's an antifreeze compound. This is what's killing your dog and or making them sick. Glad I read into this. They do make food without it. So if you do feed them Purina make sure it doesn't have propylene glycol.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I gave my 9 yr old cat Beyond. She got sick, drooling from mouth, twitching jaw and face. She had itchy skin and some of her hair was falling out. She couldn't drink out of her bowl. She walked staggering. I took her to the vet. He said she has low blood sugar levels. She might be poisoned. He gave her med. Told me to bring her back 2 days to do some blood work... my friend called said "don't feed her Purina food. It is killing pets." She had read online. I said "what, is it from China?" She said they got bought out and it has poison in it. I changed her food to 9 lives. She doing a little better but weak. Take this poison food off the shelf. How could this company poison our beloved pets. A company that supposed be quality.

Original review: March 16, 2016

I trusted Purina foods for years. Seem safe but past 3 years I had bad luck with purina. My 18 cat died after eating purina beyond. She had diarrhea, shaking head, low blood pressure, low temps. Made 2 loud cries on my couch and died. I spend 500.00 at animal hospital trying save her life. She died June 2013. Then my friend 9 yr cat so sick. She was shaking, mouth twitching, dehydrated, couldn't walk, can't drink out of a bowl, had skin rashes. From purina naturals. He switch to 9 lives. She so much better.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We have 4 indoor cats in my house. Two are 12 years, one is 7 years, and the youngest is about 2 years (recently acquired when my grandmother passed away this past January). We have fed them Purina foods for almost their entire lives. Once they grew into adults we gave them the Indoor Cat Chow. Several months ago one cat started to vomit every day, sometimes twice a day. The other two appeared to be fine. My mom then switched to Purina Cat Chow Sensitive formula. However, Lizzy continued to vomit every day. She was taken to the vet for tests, but they were not conclusive.

I recently started doing a lot of online research on her condition and other brands and formulas of cat food. Lizzy may possibly have IBD or an intolerance to something in the food (possibly chicken or turkey). It's hard to know for sure because Purina has crappy ingredients like "poultry by-product meal". I feel terrible because I didn't know any better until I started doing research on cat food (both dry and canned/wet food).

In the middle of January, I switched the cats from Purina to a combination of Natural Balance Indoor Rabbit and Salmon Meal, and Wellness Complete Health Senior dry cat food. Lizzy still vomited up a decent amount of food every day for the 2 weeks it took to transition them. After they were completely off Purina, Lizzy still got sick, but she vomited up a lot less food. All of the cats showed improvement once Purina was cut from their diet. Their coats became a lot softer and shinier, they had more energy, their eyes became brighter, and my cat Abby didn't appear to have as much stiffness in her hind legs because of her arthritis.

We started experimenting with canned cat food with novel proteins for Lizzy that do not have carrageenan in them, along with the dry food. She took to it right away and begged for more, which was strange because our cats are kibble addicts. She did not vomit when she ate the canned Wild Calling Rabbit. So we will have to continue to experiment and hopefully our other cats will take to eating some wet food too.

To sum everything up, Purina cat food is total crap. My family and I were feeding our fur babies nasty, by product, and filler laden food for years (not knowing any better). I just hope that if there was damage done to our cats, that they can get and feel better just by the change of their food. And I empathize with other pet parents who either had similar issues or lost a beloved fur baby due to Purina's food. My advice is to stay away from all of Purina's food products.

Original review: March 7, 2016

My husband & I received a sample package of Purina One SmartBlend from a Petco location in San Antonio as we checked out last Sunday, 2/28/16. I thought twice about taking it but thought, "Oh, I'll just throw it away when we get home." (I have been feeding my dogs organic food for over 20 years). We recently adopted a 10-month old white highland terrier puppy IN PERFECT HEALTH. We also have an 8+ yr old chow/heeler mix, and a 15-yr old minpin mix, both healthy as well. Unbeknownst to me, my husband mixed in the Purina with their regular organic dog food (Acana, Fromm, & one new one I had not purchased before) on Monday night.

On Thursday evening, I arrived home to find vomit everywhere & our 10-month old puppy dead! I found dark bloody stool as well, so I knew she had had a GI bleed/hemorrhage. The chow/heeler mix was extremely ill, had vomited as well, and had labored breathing. The minpin mix was fine, but she is old, blind, and stays inside most of the time. I thought they had been poisoned, but we only use natural products in the yard, so it was a mystery. Needless to say, I was shocked and devastated.

It took me 2 days to realize what had happened. The kibbles I didn't recognize when I was feeding were too large for our minpin (she has few teeth), so I removed them from her bowl -- I believe this is why she was unaffected. Our chow/heeler mix is still being treated at the vet with kidney and liver failure (this is Sunday, 3 days after the incident), & I don't know whether she will survive. I am heartbroken. I am ABSOLUTELY convinced that this horrible food killed and sickened our dogs and am outraged that Purina is still in business!!! The experience rating field required 1 star, but I would not have given any if that had been a choice.

Original review: March 6, 2016

What are we to do? Maybe products should be required to be labeled if ANY portion came from outside the country and name the country. I have used Purina because during the initial pet food scare years ago, Purina was not on the list of recalls. So I have exclusively been feeding my dogs and cats Purina products, Little Bites and any Purina cat food. I just switched the cat from Meow Mix to Purina Indoor cat food. She doesn't want to eat this food, maybe for a reason. Starting about a month ago, my dogs started refusing the Little Bites dog food. It will sit in their bowls until they are starving. Something has changed for the worse with this company. I will stop this food, but what next? Will start googling for a better quality product that is not on a recall list. Thank goodness for recall lists.

Original review: March 4, 2016

My husband bought One SmartBlend puppy formula a few days ago by accident for our 10 year old Cattle Dog. We fed him that and later that day, our dog became lethargic, and that night he threw up and had diarrhea. The throwing up and a red-brown diarrhea continued for the next several days until yesterday I realized that it may be related to his food. The other One SmartBlends for adult dogs were not giving him trouble, but it seems that this one may have chemicals or something in it. The serial number on the bag is 53096001 0008L02 and it says on the bag that it was manufactured in St. Louis, MO. We live and bought the dog food in Pittsburgh, PA.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2016

Since I have switched back to Purina pro plan savor my three dogs are lethargic, throwing up, diarrhea, fever. I started them all out on this product when they were puppies then they all got sick. Vet now says food is safe again so I switched back for one week now. Now going back to something other than a Purina product that is killing our dogs slowly.

Purina Pet Foods Company Information