3.80/5
Based on 1,303 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

PetSmart Reviews

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

On 8-29-2019, I visited PetSmart in East Greenbush NY. Its mailing addresses is Rensselaer. I was looking for a particular brand and type of food for my dog, a yorkie, that we feed her. I was having trouble finding the product I was interested in. An employee by the name of Erica saw this and asked if I needed help, which I did. She checked the shelves with me and she to could not find the product. She then checked the back stockroom, no avail. She then called several other stores to see if they had the item I wanted. They did not. She then searched to see what the store offered that was similar to what we were using and advised me of a product that was close to it.

She was very helpful in helping me as well as patient with, and acted truly concerned, as to helping me meet my needs. I was extremely impressed with her treatment of me as a customer and her desire to assist me in making my visit to the store and helping me meet my needs. When I went to check out, the line to do so had numerous people in it. She immediately went to a closed register and proceeded to check out customers. Customer service like this will keep me and others coming back to this store. My receipt number is **.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I didn't see this issue anywhere online regarding the PetSmart's Online store. There is a promotion running for Treats members where free shipping is offered for orders over $49 (before Taxes). In the promotion details it states that this discount is reflected in the Order Summary (after you have submitted the purchase.. go figure...). However in my experience, that didn't happen. Order summary showed a shipping charge and the pending charge for my bank showed the same total amount. This was for an order in June 2019.

I sent an email to PetSmart's customer service and got a reply a few hours later. Apparently what happened was a glitch (no details provided, not that I needed to know since the issue was on their end and their business to fix whatever defects in their software) and that they would be refunding the shipping charge. So as of now, I am awaiting that refund. Summary: Had an issue, I reached out, customer service responded accordingly. Just submitted this in case anyone else experienced the same. Giving 5 stars since as a developer I understand software isn't always perfect 100% of the time and got a quick response.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Very nice store and employees are quite helpful. I would not purchase a dog or cat from them, but I would go to the pound to rescue one. Been trading with PetSmart for over 15 years. Never had a problem. Also get dog bathed there. They do a very nice job. You need to watch your groomer and decide which one would be best for you and your dog. Then they build a relationship and things go well.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I go to PetSmart when I know exactly I want. I have two elderly dogs, and three young cats. One dog and two cats require specialty food that I either buy at PetSmart or order through chewy.com. The products are always available at both places. Hours are convenient at PetSmart, and delivery of pet food is usually between one and two days at chewy.com. There is very little personal service at PetSmart, so I don't go to gain knowledge about pet food, harnesses versus leashes, or treats. I can read online reviews at chewy.com, and I do before I buy a particular product. The reviews are very helpful in determining how to meet pet needs that are outside veterinarian care.

I have gone to three different independent pet food stores in Austin. While service clerks tried to be helpful, they were not as informative as chewy.com reviews. They also did not carry the specialty dog and cat foods that three of my pets require. I do prefer to shop local and independent businesses. I have chronic back pain, so having big bags of dry food and cases of canned food delivered to my door by chewy.com is a really valuable service. They are also very fast to process an order; typically, not more than one or two days. Otherwise, I don't buy grocery items online.

Original review: March 17, 2019

PetSmart has a wide variety of goods but might consider adding dog treats free of preservatives that are crunchy and not gummy for daily use. Their recommendations were for a gummy treat that definitely doesn't help tartar build-up. When shopping for a simple acrylic sweater, I only found a wide assortment of coats for our dog. She needed an acrylic sweater for indoor use, for the chilly nights just after a clipping. Dog food is another area of wide choices, but few with all-natural ingredients. It's a nice atmosphere, well-planned with good staff but the choices could include the non-standard fare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have 3 dogs and since they are my kids, I invest money in them. I have used Petsmart training. My current pup is enrolled in the intermediate class. I paid for the package and I have a friend that I recommended Petsmart training to and she bought the package. We did the puppy class. It went well. Then, we started the intermediate class. If I knew what I know now, I WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THE PACKAGE!!!! We have no physical location to work in. WE ARE JUST STUFFED in individual aisles.

It’s difficult to hear everything because we are so spread out. The first two or three classes started late because displays had to be moved out of the middle of the aisles. Still I have tried to work with it but today did me in. I ended up in 3 locations. First, I put my stuff down and as I journeyed to the back of the store to get a stupid stool; another student commandeered the aisle. So I sat in the aisle next it it. The trainer had us move again. This time in the aisle in front of the Vet and Grooming center. We might as well been out in the middle of the Interstate. We couldn’t hardly work at all. Yes, distractions are part of it but ALL WE HAD WERE DISTRACTIONS!

Somewhere in the process, I laid my phone down. Couldn’t find it. It had gotten knocked back on dog food bags. Yes, I should have had a pocket deep enough to put it in. I run around everywhere to find it. Even busted my lip in my frenzy to open the car door. So, when we finally found my phone, I’m angry frustrated and bleeding. (At least, I got to meet some of my other class members. I usually can’t see them in the other aisles.) The trainer was kind and even scheduled a make up class. I like the instructor. He’s the probably the best Petsmart trainer I’ve worked with. However, HE HAS NOWHERE TO WORK!

I believe that this company understands that the training brings in customers who not only pay for training but buy other goods and services. I would think that accommodating the training classes would be a PRIORITY but obviously not at the Powell location. I chose Petsmart as a venue because of the interaction between other pets and their owners. I knew that we would have to work some in the store. I did not expect to be sitting in between feed bags wondering who was in my class and what the instructor is saying!! The advanced class had better not be like this!!! If you cannot accommodate us then don't take our money. And, no, I do not want to go across town to another location. I already work with a private trainer in working with my other dog, who is in service dog training. I will just pick up with him and find another way to get her with other people and pups. This needs to be resolved.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I purchased cat food from this .org that was sealed in a large container. I had more of it at home, yet I found out my cat is extremely allergic so I took the unopened bag back to the store. They wouldn’t take it without a receipt, even though I paid with a card. They treated me like I was a crook. They’ve lost my business for sure, yet more importantly they’ve tarnished their own brand.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

If you buy an item at petfart, keep your receipt because they just about get angry and treat you like crap. Fat balding rude manager with no people skills. Go anywhere but PetSmart. Petco is much much better!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I left my dog twice at Petsmart Hotel, and both times, my dog came home very stressed, bad smell and I noticed she lost weight. The last time they told me her bed cushion was wet with her pee, although she never did that at home. They offered to wash the cushion, and when I came back to pick it up, they couldn't find it. They told me there was nothing to do, because I signed a paper that says they were not responsible for lost items. They didn't even say they were sorry about. I am very disappointed and definitely not coming back.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

If you love (or even like your dogs) NEVER NEVER take your dogs to PetSmart in Clifton Park for Grooming! Our Dogs are very calm but within 3 minutes of going into the grooming salon, our dogs were treated horribly. One of our dogs was made to wait in a back room while paperwork was "reviewed". The groomers (managers), untrained workers kept questioning my wife about the paperwork ALL CERTIFIED by a VET. Our Dogs are very upset which in turn makes me VERY ANGRY. Our Dogs go into puppy care daily and they love other dogs and people which clearly indicated that there is no training or love of pets at PETSMART. The name may be PetSMART but the workers are NOT SMART. BE SMART and NEVER GO TO PET "SMART". HORRIBLE IS THE NICEST THING I CAN SAY!

PetSmart Company Information