1.43/5

Looking for a pet store?

1012 PetSmart Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We recently adopted an 8 month old kitten from PetSmart on Gateway Dr in Fredericksburg, VA. We submitted the application, answered follow up questions, agreed to a home inspection (that never happened), and were approved within a week. We purchased food, bedding, toys, and cat climbers in preparation. We arrived at the store, at the correct time, to take possession of the kitten. After the foster mother, Marion, bragged about her work ethic, and how many hours she'd been there already, she then, chose to mention a lump on the kitten's ear. She let us know that we cant take her home, that she needs to be seen by a vet first. Our only issue, at this time, was that she failed to inform us before we made the hour long trip.

Three days later, after several messages were left, we heard back from her. The kitten had ringworm and needed to be kept another 3 weeks. During this time, we asked about her progress several times. Almost 5 weeks later, we are told that she still has ringworm and now ear mites. We insisted on taking possession and after a terse conversation, the foster mother agrees to release her into our care. We arrive at PetSmart before the foster mother, which allowed us to see her pull the cat from her trunk!! The cat, smelled horrible. She had feces stuck everywhere on her body. The ringworm was not only on her ear, but her entire throat was hairless and covered in it.

We arrive home and give her a bath. That is when we discovered how emaciated she was. Her fur was dull and so thin, that you could see her skin through it. Her bones were sticking out, even her ribcage was noticeable through the fur. This kitten had matted fur across her belly and under her arms. The poor thing didn't know how to climb, and when we put her on the bed, she had no idea how to get down. We took her to our vet for treatment. She was riddled with worms, ear mites, and ringworm. They will be sedating her to remove the matted fur. The foster mother is abusing these animals, and Petsmart is complicit. Our kitten was kept in a filthy cage, while in their care. She was forced to lay down, which is how her fur matted. How dare PetSmart allow disgusting, ignorant people like Marion, to foster innocent animals? How dare they.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I noted on my business Visa card a charge for $107 on Jan 1 from PetSmart. I do not have a pet and have never used them. Called them and the Agent and Supv Michael would not give me any more information even though I had the transaction number. Their solution, go to the police. Now have to deal with Visa who wants to cancel and reissue my credit card while dealing with PetSmart. This problem could be easily solved if PetSmart could give me some additional info on the purchase.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My older dog suffered severe diaper rash after sitting in her feces from an undetermined amount of time from 9pm until noticed at 11am the following day. Our vet never saw anything like it. No paperwork was ever provided to us as promised. My younger dog is now being treated by our vet for bloody stools. Both dogs were housed together from 12/21/18-12/30/18 in the Vernon Hills, IL store. It was acknowledged that overnight staff dropped the ball. My dog was prescribed medication that causes diarrhea which is not to be prescribed to a dog suffering from a raw rectum. Staff suggested that the possible overwhelming amount of dogs and lack of staff may have caused this to happen. All I can say is I walked out of there with regret and two unhealthy dogs that physically show they had been neglected.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Took my two female Golden Retriever puppies to PetSmart for grooming on 12/24/18. I chose the service that included bath, nail trim, ear cleaning, anal gland expression, sanitary trim, and paw trim. I also purchased extra services of nail grind and teeth brushing. Very disappointed! No anal gland expression, teeth brushing, paw trim, or sanitary trim. Nail grinding missed dew claw nails. Ear cleaning is questionable. No call when ready as promised. Will not be back.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I took a dog toy back to store #1121, and the manager Ashley was so rude. She said Petsmart would go out of business if they took dog toys back. I was trying to explain to her that the toy broke the 1st day my Rat Terrier played with it. She interrupted me saying she's not arguing no further and she's not taking the toy back. I asked her why did she say we're arguing when I was only trying to find out who should I contact to return the toy. Then she just walked away ignoring what I was saying. That's when I got her name. I don't know what kind of store she's running but she just lost a loyal customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I don't like pet stores selling live animals so I try not to go at PetSmart. I don't even walk down the aisles where they are. Wild animals should not even be legal to sell. I can understand having rescued companion animals there.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I boarded my cat at Fremont PetSmart (PetsHotel) for the Christmas 2018. I went to pick him up today 26th Dec 2018, And after paperwork and payment, he was brought out in his kennel. When asked for paperwork, I was told it was not recorded. We came home and I opened the kennel to let him out and the cat just ran upstairs, which is very unusual for our cat. I went behind him to make sure he’s ok and was shocked to see that I was given a different pet. I called up PetSmart to let them know of their goof-up and check on my pet to make sure he was at the premises. They kept me waiting on the call instead of updating me on my pet's status. I took this cat back to the PetSmart to bring ours back. The staff not only downplayed the whole incident they also made a statement that this is very common.

I asked them for the paperwork and that had my pet's name, I questioned that how can they just put another pet in the kennel without checking the name, they had no answer to this except claiming this kind of mix up happens. Though I know it is not acceptable as PetSmart is a corporation and they should have the guidelines for the safety of the pets, I was happy to get my cat back home. To the pet parent whose cat was in kitty cottage 611 on Dec 26th 2018 and came to my home briefly - I tried to make him comfortable as much as possible but he was terrified. I can never imagine something like this happen to my cat, he’s part of family. Due to their irresponsible justification - Petsmart just lost a customer.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Made an appointment to have my dog bathed. Even after an extra phone call, because they would not accept my dog's valid/current rabies tag, they claimed to have never heard of me when I got there. To add insult to injury they made me wait, while they waited on the person who came through the door after me. Don't waste your time with Petsmart.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

An employee by the name of Jeff wanted to put me out the store because he refused to help me get my points and did not want to take the time to help me with coupons that an employee from PetSmart corporate office sent to me. The employee smelled like he had been drinking and as people came into the store and said hello to him he told each one about my issue. After I told him that I would report him to PetSmart corporate office he stated to me that he did not care.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

On Friday Nov. 16 I brought my two dogs to PetSmart for a bath and nail trim, one is a 13 year old Jack Russell, and the other is a 7 year old black Lab. Three hours later I pick them up. The Jack Russell is a shivering wreck. He loses interest in food and water, and a few days later begins passing bloody stools while we are on a trip to visit family for Thanksgiving. We check him into an emergency vet clinic, and unfortunately on Thanksgiving morning we have to euthanize him. The vet cannot determine what happened to him (ultrasound diagnostics couldn't find anything wrong in his abdomen/chest). PetSmart corporate says "We are sorry, but since there are no cameras in the grooming area, and there was no necropsy performed, the findings are inconclusive." I have since found out that there seem to be a lot of "incidents" involving PetSmart Grooming. Wish I had never gone there.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the worst experience in my past 46 years. I would like to buy 2-3 small fish for my new fish tank. I had a old one 5-gal tank and a new 10-gal tank. The new one is the gift from my friend last night. Then I went to the store which located in Bridgeport Rd in Richmond. The fish area manager is a young man, he came to ask me for my requirement. I told him I need buy some fish for my new 10-gal tank, and I just receive this gift one day. He refused to sell me. He said it is a “policy”, I cannot buy fish for my new tank for how many days, I also need to show him the tank picture to him... He is really very rude, not friend, bossy to everyone, whatever staff or customer. He is neither professional nor enough knowledgeable. I asked him to show me the “policy”. He replied “I could” but... nothing provide...???!!!

I work in 5-star hotel and retails for high level management for many years. I know what is the customer service. I know what is professionally. I came there for shopping not for make a trouble or feel unhappy in weekend. I am a pet lover. How unlucky I met such a “...” in my first experience setting my feet in PETSMART. This is no good for the reputation for the store and the brand. I feel so upset the whole day. I never met such customer service in my life.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

WE picked up a 10 pound box of this item at the Petsmart in Orlando 2 weeks ago and stored, sealed, in a closet. Opened the box yesterday and what appeared to be tiny moths flew out of the box. Calling customer service at Petsmart I'm told to return it to Orlando but we live in Spring Hill (2 hours away). That is the only solution they could offer, talk about poor customer service. Petsmart, you got me once but you'll never get me again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

The groom was not good. My poodle was adorable when she went in, but not so cute when she came out. I requested that they call me ASAP because I didn’t want my dog sitting in a cage scared because she is so tune that she gets nervous in places like that. I waited and waited. I went to the store at 9:00 because I knew they must be closing soon... The girl had put my dog in a small cage and continued cutting other dogs! I requested that the hair be plucked from her ears and she did not even do anything to her ears. After reading reviews and my experience, I would not return to PetSmart grooming at any location.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Dropped off last night. I had told them 3 different times that my dog required a muzzle to get his eye drops. "We can do that. It will be fine. Don't worry." I am getting ready to leave for the airport, "We can't use a muzzle on a dog this age and he bit me another bite and we can have him put down." Never ever ever going to buy anything from them again. I get all my food there all their snacks and for the cat. I would buy food off the street before I will ever use this place.

They had threatened my old dog, after he bit one of them after I told them to use a muzzle. "A muzzle might stress an older dog." Well picking up a prior abused dog and trying to drop eye drops in his eyes as a total stranger is much more stressful than putting a muzzle on him. The vet even approves the muzzle. I cried all night worrying about them and then I had to wake up my son to go get them because I had to be at the airport. If they couldn't do it they should have told me. Again I will never go to this godawful place again for any reason. If they were the last pet store on earth!!! Jerks. Threatened to have my dog put down.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Grooming scheduled and when we picked him up that said he had a seizure. It is our opinion that he was choked. The vet did not find that he had a seizure but was stressed to the point of shaking and drooling. I reported this to the BBB. The company would only call me during my work hours even after asking them to call at a different time. Worst experience ever with a pet.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I came in to get my cat food at the Mentor, OH store (9122 Mentor Ave, Mentor, OH 44060) after customer service canceled 3 of my orders. The cashiers instantly kind of glared at me as they usually do to all of the customers. When I got to the register with about 30 cans of wet food, I politely informed my cashier that the cans were .89 cents online and asked if she could price match them. She seemed irritated about having to adjust the price of about 12 cans of food out of the 30 and told me that "she didn't want to inconvenience the other customers by having them wait in line."

That's tough luck, you have a chalkboard in the entrance that says you guys price match your online prices (because you know full well they mark the prices up and then don't want to honor them.) She price matched the cans but gave me an attitude the whole time and barely spoke to me. There's another cashier that lives in the same complex as me and always makes it a point to give me the hardest time while checking out and trying to input my phone number.

Of course filing a complaint against her has done no good, and she is now starting to cause problems outside of the workplace on purpose after I come into the store. She'll purposely rev her engine right outside of my house at 1 am. What started as in store harassment has now become her harassing me in my own home. This company obviously employs people who can't be bothered to show any type of half decent people skills and it's ridiculous. I'll GLADLY take my business to Pet Supplies Plus.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

As a loyal customer of Petsmart - My wife brought our dog for a routine physical & arrived 12 minutes late - first lateness of many visits. My wife has always been on time & has on several occasions waited over 30+ minutes but has never complained. Banfield staff members became arrogant, loud & refused to take our dog & needed to be rescheduled. Maybe staff members should spend more time working rather than smoking in front of the building. We as consumers do not need to be treated unfair & humiliated. My wife gave them no reason to raise their voices & treat her with disrespect.

Petsmart needs to stand by its products & services. You need to hire well qualified, trained & reliable staff and/or business partners. This was unprofessional & humiliating to the consumer. My complaints will be recorded with the BBB, Consumer Affairs & Federal Trade Commission. The consumer shouldn't have to go thru this nightmare. If you can't do your job correctly & you hate it - then find an alternative.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I went in and they told me to look thru a little window at floor level. Inside I saw a narrow dark hallway with cages piled up against the wall. They said next month they would have an open house. I called. They said they are too busy to give a tour. When I was there there was NO ACTIVITY. Other complaints here are about the dog being dirty, of course they are dirty... they have no indoor outdoor runs. The dogs are kept in SMALL CAGES! There is NO OUTSIDE ACCESS. The employees are not knowledgeable and just repeat the "standard speech" they were taught by the corporation. When I was there they had one play area in which they had a DOBERMAN and a couple YORKIES together in a group of about 12 dogs with only one person watching. Big dogs and little dogs should NEVER be together in a group, ever!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Unqualified Vets, with little or no knowledge of animals. Abuse. My pet showed up for an appointment then they were hours late and then they held my dog in a cage covered in feces and urine. Never again. Tampa Palms.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I took my dog to board for a trip. I called everyday to check on her. Everything was great and no issues. I pick her up, she has pee all over her backside and her bed was soaked in pee. I was told she would be taken out for 4 times a day, I called everyday checking on her and I get the, "She’s eating all her food and going pee and poop and she’s sleeping." I pick her up, everything’s covered in pee. Now I get the story. She just laid there and peed on her bed. I became so angry that I had put my dog in this place and she had to deal with this abuse. She has never peed in our home or her bed and someone is standing before me blaming my dog for this. They need to be investigated. I will never walk into another PetSmart and the person I was dealing with was a manager. So I ask myself what kind of people do they hire. I hope this keeps someone else from having to see their dog treated this way.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Last time I took my 13 year old Shih Tzu was Aug 8. It's exactly 2 months today... While giving her a bath I noticed her nails were not clipped since all her nails were curled into her skin, I understand she's a hairy dog and sometimes they have forgotten but not to this point that they are in her skin. I'm taking her to the vet to have them clipped rather have a vet since they are extremely curled. When I called to inform them of what is happening the manager was not there so they put me with some random guy who all he can say to me was "ok. Ok, ok". This is not only to other consumers but to PetSmart... customer service and showing care to the people that actually contribute to your business a bit more sympathy and retrain your staff will take you a long way.

All I needed from you guys was an "I'm sorry we maybe had missed this. Bring her in and we'll take care of those nails or something similar," some sympathy even if you guys don't care. As customers our dogs are like our children and to hear someone untrained to pick up a phone and act like he has better things to do is unacceptable since because of your customer owners and employees have a job. Thank you again for the worst customer service I've ever received.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We dropped my female Goldendoodle off for her grooming appt. After they worked on her for 20 min, I received a phone call that she had some mats that they wanted to shave down to her skin. I had noted in her appt notes that she has chronic earaches and to be careful around that area, as she’s very tender. One of the spots they wanted to shave was her ear. I gave them permission to shave the other areas, but not her ear. I told them that I would deal with the mat myself after she was done and back home.

They said I had to come and get her now. They said corporate policy is that they cannot bathe a dog with any mats. I said I was okay with the mat getting worse from the bathing and to please bathe her. The groomer said, "Come get your dog now." I asked to talk to the manager. I told her that I was good with them washing her, even with the mat. She rudely and abruptly interrupted and said, "Come get your dog now." I told her I was on my way.

In addition to this, I had a second appointment scheduled for my male doodle for that same afternoon. Nothing was said at drop off that there was an issue with his appointment. Before the phone call from them about the mat, I received a call from the store that they were completely booked and did not know how I was about to make the appointment. I said it showed 4 consecutive appointments available at booking. She said it was a corporate error and I would have to reschedule for another day. I rescheduled for the following day and cancelled my other plans.

After leaving PetSmart with my female, and no call or discussion, PetSmart cancelled my appointment for my male. The last time I was there for grooming, earlier this summer, I was told that they would need to shave my male completely down to bald because he had too many mats. They hadn’t even tried to brush him. I had to beg them for 10 min to try to brush him out without shaving him down, even if I had to pay extra for the time. They reluctantly agreed.

After picking him up, they said they had no idea it was going to be that easy and that most of the mats just slid right out. They hadn’t even tried before they told me they were going to have to shave him. If I hadn’t pushed, he would've been shaved unnecessarily. Today, after I got my female home, all it took was a couple of cuts into the mat to loosen it and the whole mat in her ear slide out. PetSmart, please train your groomers and your managers. Poor grooming service and even worse handling by the grooming manager.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have been using PetSmart for everything our dog has needed since we rescued her two years ago. I have always purchased her bark collar battery from PetSmart. I recently purchased a battery and a few days later discovered it was the wrong size. Although I could not find the receipt I thought they would exchange it without any problem. Boy was I wrong! I was told by the cashier that PetSmart does not carry that battery and without a receipt they would not exchange it. I told the young cashier that PetSmart is the only place I buy batteries for my dog and even gave a description of the employee that checked me out that day and what register they were working. She then told me I probably purchased it from Walgreens and just forgot.

I insisted it was purchased at their store which is when she went to fetch her manager. He agreed with her and told me I was probably mistaken and did not buy it there. The young cashier kept saying “ever since I have worked here we have NEVER carried that battery”. She kept insisting I bought it at Walgreens. Really? Why Walgreens?! Their response led me to believe they thought I was a liar and I left feeling frustrated and disappointed. Unfortunately for PetSmart they have lost a loyal customer over a $10 battery. Luckily for me there is a Petco within driving distance of my home. I guess in the end the customer is always right.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

On many occasions we had used the PetsHotel. Each stay is well documented and is shared amongst their network of stores. Medical conditions are to be outlined on the form they provide upon registration. Our Yorkie had a seizure condition which had been well documented. During his final weekend stay we went through the typical registration and provided his medical history and medication. Upon our arrival to pick him up I was asked if had any medical conditions because he seemed to be shaking a lot. Here we found out that his medication was not given to him during his three day stay.

He was seizing all that time. They told us to take him to the Banfield Pet Hospital right on the premises. He was eventually stabilized. We were not charged for his stay nor the hospital bill. That was the least of my concerns. They are reckless and potentially hazardous to the life of a pet. I, as well as my family and pet have been traumatized by this experience. Petsmart is reckless and potentially hazardous to the life of your pet!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Have had a Petsmart points card for several years now, scanned each time I check out at cashier and have never been offered redemption of points for products. Advised today card no longer valid, new plan now, any points collected are not useable because “the system didn’t work well!” Now required to give cashier phone number at check out in order to collect points. I do not wish to state my phone number in public and am angry that this card has not been honoured. Will shop at other pet stores that do allow you to redeem collected points!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Left our dog at Westminster, Maryland PetSmart Groomers. We were headed on vacation from the Groomers, so we didn't notice until we were far away that Groomer must have nicked or cut between his toes. He was furiously licking the area. No, it didn't happen elsewhere. Definitely happened at Groomers. Now, he's wearing a cone & it's an ordeal to get it to heal.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I left my dog for grooming and received a phone call after 30 minutes telling me that they couldn't groom her. She was very difficult. My dog is 14 years old and I had specifically asked for an experienced groomer that can deal with older dogs... They booked me with one groomer and then gave me another groomer named Claudia that was very hostile to me and my dog. The manager and the groomer ganged up on me. I had to leave with my dog with the worst feeling and my dog looking horrible. They gave her a partial haircut that made her look horrible.

I have never been treated this way at any grooming salon. The groomer screamed at me from the top of her lungs “Have a nice day” in a very disrespectful and sarcastic manner. I had the worst experience at PetSmart. People like that should not be working with dogs. When you leave your dog with a groomer, you are leaving a family member. You are trusting that they are professional and kind. PetSmart staff are neither, don’t ever go there to have your dogs groomed.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Went to Petsmart in Lockport, NY last night to buy a Plecostomus for my tank and was informed that I couldn't buy what I wanted because it WOULD grow too big for my tank and the fish would explode... yes, I was actually told the fish would explode.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

At the South Wonderland Road in London Ontario on August 25, 2018, I picked up two flavours of Simply Nourish can dog food that showed a reduced price beneath every single flavor. At check out I was charged one at the reduced price and the second at the regular price which was like two dollars more. I informed the cashier about the reduced price and he answered that it was likely only on the less popular flavors. He was guessing and didn't bother to check. I paid for the reduced dog food. Afterward I looked at the dog food again and every single flavor had a sign beneath showing a reduced price. I also had a worker in this same store refuse to sell me a fish with their regular warranty for the reason, as she said, that my 4.5 gallon aquarium was too small for 3 or 4 guppies. I didn't buy the fish but instead went to our local aquarium shop where they know a lot more about fish than that associate at Petsmart.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

They abuse the customers, they pretend the animal to behave in a perfect way when the animal is with strangers. They called our contacts to tell them that the animal needs to be seen by a Vet, what for? I recently update my animal with vaccinations, and a doctor's evaluation and he was fine, not a problem whatsoever. But Petsmart finds the problem in order to charge more, and if you do not agreed, then they tell you not to bring your animal anymore.

The grooming did wrong too, I told them not to trim the hair too much, and that's exactly what they did, you can see my dog's skin, and to see the Vet it was their fault because my dog was stressed out and they even told me that after the grooming they must put him with the vet because he was stressed and has his genital irritated. This issue needs to be resolved by authorities, because they abuse too much. I went to pick him up and the charges were so elevated. Please do something for these people to stop the hotel and grooming.

PetSmart Company Information