2. Pets
  3. Pet Stores

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5
Based on 1,904 ratings submitted in the last year

PetSmart Reviews

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

The store is always stocked well and I usually find products that I visited to buy. Staff are very cordial. I love visiting the rescue cats and I can tell the staff love them as well.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Everyone is knowledgeable, but sometimes I cannot get the food I want, and the quality of the toys is not top rate. The store is convenient to reach, the clerks for the most part are very helpful and try to explain anything I ask. I love dogs and enjoy watching the ones in the day-care center play. I can no longer get the cans of Hill's Science Diet that my dog likes, but as I understand it, Hill's is now supplying it to big box stores instead of pet stores.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Whether or not the staff knows what they're doing is hit or miss. I've dealt with staff members who were fully knowledgeable and some who had no idea what they were doing. This store is close to home, which is why I frequent it over other pet stores. They have enough of a selection for our turtle and fish to get everything we need. The staff is usually helpful, but we've had a few negative experiences when we couldn't find someone to help who knew anything about turtles. Overall, though, this is still our go-to store.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

The staff is courteous, helpful and knowledgeable, but the prices are continually rising and I only shop here when the regular discount stores are out of stock. There are weekend sales all the time, but the prices go up shortly afterward to compensate for the loss, e.g., treats that were $1.97 before the sale price of $1.89 rose to $2.09 after the sale. Their online prices are generally lower, but ordering for store pickup is a joke. An order placed in the morning is promised to be ready within 2-3 hours, but often, it is not ready until after I call the following day. It is not unusual for one particular store to have "lost" the order, or claim not to have rec'd it even though Customer Service HQ says they have the notification that the order was placed and/or picked. I suspect that store just does not want to honor the lower online price.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

Their stock is good with many different options. I have had a few questions about different foods but the staff didn't seem to know much about their products. The staff is good however I don't believe they have any background education in pet food and nutrition. Staff that I have asked questions are friendly but not product knowledgeable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSmart?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

Love this store. They have everything you need for pets. Great choices. The store is very clean. Organization is great, staff very helpful, products of all kinds to choose from. High price and low prices. They have for all pets something you will need. Animals welcome in with shoppers. Great store.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

They seem to always answer my questions and are always available and friendly and try to help. They helped save our dog when she was stolen from our yard. We will always be grateful.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

My local store is terrific. PetSmart has a wonderful selection. Their staff is helpful. Two years ago I adopted a cat from one of their weekend pet adoptions.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

I like the employees, however there is a problem with their online ad and store ad. You see something on sale online and go in store and then either they don't have it or don't know anything about advertised items. The pricing on pet food is a little high and some brands are not in store.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

The staff doesn't know basic information and the so call grooming shop injured my friend's dog! In addition the store always smells of dog urine and it looks dirty! I do not like Petsmart. No one seems to have basic knowledge of dogs or cats. In addition, I've waited in line for over 20 minutes on Saturday afternoon -- only one register was open. I almost left! The store stinks and is dirty! I stopped at Petsmart for these very reasons.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I typically shop between both PetSmart & Petco as each carry different brands and products. PetSmart's Authority line of dog food has been a hit with my finicky eater senior dog. One key difference with Petco is that they seem to carry more diverse lines (other than GNC products) for canine health and wellness products -- e.g., vitamins, digestive aids, etc. -- so I more rely on them for those products. PetSmart is reliable and consistent, and the Authority line of dog food has proven to be a winner -- according to my dog! A potential area for growth might be to consider the health & wellness products currently provided -- perhaps expanding brands, but also with an eye toward the needs of senior dogs.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

They recommended food and vitamins specific to my cat's health situation and Aisha was very knowledgeable and had a lot of insight in regards to the ingredients and benefits of each brand of food. Everyone is friendly and always asking if I need assistance. They saw that my hands were full and brought me a shopping cart.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

Brought my Welsh Terrier in to be groomed. They said they had experience and would fit her in. When I went back to get her they said they could not finish her face to take her somewhere else that had experience. They DID NOT FINISH HER. I am very unhappy and they still made me pay full price. They are open until 7:00 and it was close to 7 when they told me they could not finish her face to take her somewhere else that had experience. I'm not stupid. They wanted to go home. Very very unhappy. Also there were two bad lumps of hair on her tail and I had to tell them to at least trim those. I am a member of a Welsh Terrier with 1,000's of members and trust me I will tell them all about it. I will so post this on Facebook.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Placed order online for store pick up at 3 different stores on friday afternoon. Don't receive order confirmation and ready for pickup email til next day saturday. Was busy so waited til sunday then on sunday morning receive email that orders were picked up and completed. Called to verify order at store. Was told it is still there. Told them to just cancel all orders. Was told to just wait til past 5 days and will cancel itself cause for some reason seems like she didnt want to do it. Told her it says complete and picked up on my online account. She says thats what it says when ready.

So I wait 7 days. No cancel email or refund. Call store. They claim was returned on friday already but wheres my credit back, they tell me to call 800 number so I do. They are also confuse cause on their end it says I picked up already so I tell them that the store tells me its return on that end. So I tell csr to call and verify with store so they do but still confuse cause it says differently at both. I say "just give me my money back". Csr tells me I have to go to store cause she cant do anything. Waste of my time. Complete runaround. Lots of issue with online system and I'm still out money. Wont ever shop here again. Service and system is horrible. Everything is all screwed up.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I placed an online order on 11/24/16 containing 3 items: Dog Crate, and 2 packs of dog treats. Order came in a very large box, as I expected, since I had ordered a large dog crate. Upon opening the box I find tons of bubble wrap and at the bottom of the bubble wrap: 1 box of Dentastix, nothing else. According to the packing ship, all 3 items were to be included. I contacted customer service, who apologized and said the missing items would be sent. It is now 12/9 and those items have still not arrived. My online tracking states the order is completed and has been shipped, but an email from customer service states that they are delayed and it will be shipped in the next 4 days( Meaning I still will not receive it for at least 7-10 days). This was the first time I placed an online order with PetSmart, and my last. I have never encountered such a problem with online shopping.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I had made reservations for my Fur Baby at PETSMART PET HOTEL Orchard Park NY and went on vacation as I have done in the past and never had a problem. Well none that I might have know about. But my Fur Baby wasn't able to tell me if there was. But this time he was in their kennel from November 26th 2016 and it was his final time there. I had my daughter take him to the hotel where he was to stay and he was scheduled to stay for 8 days.

While I was on a cruise and 3 days into my vacation I was called by my daughters that my Fur Baby was no longer welcomed at the pet hotel where he has stayed numerous times before not because he was a vicious Fur Baby but because all of a sudden of the pet hotel concrete floors. Where they said he can't walk on and slipped but are not saying whether he hurt himself from slipping on the floor. I know my Fur Baby was always prancing and walking around after he stretched because he was given to me by the Grace of God 17 years ago. But the day he was picked up from the hotel they had to carry him to the car. He couldn't even walk out of the hotel and had to be taken to a vet and had to be destroyed. The day the PetSmart Pet Hotel called to have him picked up was the last day my fur baby took his final breath because he couldn't walk anymore!!!

I just got off the phone being I just got home from being on the vacation from hell not because of the vacation but being notified that my Fur Baby was going to have to be put down and his Dad couldn't be there for him as he was there for me for many years. They won't even let you see what they say are the videos of his final days under their care which I'm sure were not running if they had. The real sad thing about this is and beware the call might happen to you and when you can't get to your Fur baby child because you're on the other side of the world it will be crushing and leave you with this big empty hole in your heart.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

While looking at the dogs to adopt with my son who had lost his dog that night to old age (18) I asked about a couple of smaller dogs. The lady there asked what kind of fence I had. I told her it was chain link. She said "nope thats like a ladder for the dogs." I asked about another one and she said that it was being held for someone else to look at, and that was for all the rest of the dogs as well. Why have dogs there that are for adoption if you dont want to adopt them out to good, long term homes. I will NEVER shop at another PetSmart ever. My son was so devastated.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

I have been shopping at the Maple Ridge, BC store since it opened. I have found the staff to be friendly and helpful. However, I had a very bad day on Friday, Nov 18, 2016, when I brought my dog Millie in for her routine bath. She is a Lab x German Shepherd. I waited outside because she is always done in under 40 minutes. I watched the groomer bring her out, jump on the stand and the groomer maybe ran the grooming comb through her coat perhaps 5 times if that. Millie is a big 80 lb dog. She needs a little more brushing than that!! I went directly in. I always opt for the basic wash and groom at $35.00 (PetSmart -check your records) and did so again. I explicitly asked for the $35.00 grooming and bath. I was charged $39.00.

I suggested she made an error and she told me there is a surcharge on weekends. I was not told that when I checked in. I would have said NO and booked another day. I consider this gauging and poor business. I have been bringing my dog here for grooming and baths since you opened!!! So to add insult to the matter my dog did not even get a good grooming. I feel ripped off.

I had also bought $148.93 worth of dog food, Nutrience, on November 9th, 2016. The large sign below the food said 10% off. After wrestling the bags up to the till I was told the "10% discount 'in very small print'" is applied to your next purchase, if you bring your receipt back and show the cashier. The sale would have expired before I needed more. I'm very angry and upset. This is trickery advertising. Your cashier agreed with me. Is this how you want to treat regular clientele??? I think I may need to shop elsewhere!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

I ordered a fish aquarium on Cyber Monday as a Christmas gift. The order went in just fine and was confirmed by email so I began purchasing other items to go with the gift. Now on Wednesday, I get an email from PetSmart only saying that my order has been canceled. I called and was told that they could not fill my order and if the item does come in, I will now be charged full price if I want the item. Had I known they would not be able to provide the item, I could have looked elsewhere for the tank. I am very displeased that they are not going to fill the order that they accepted even at a later date for the stated price.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

When asking "where to go for daycare I got where definitely where not to go" and that would be PetSmart in Lincoln, NE (Pine Lake). This was by more than one person. Real concerns with the "Hotel and Daycare" manager not having ANY animal experience. Tension can be felt by employees and dogs alike; employees are not watching the dogs in daycare and some dogs are being "bothered" by other dogs, which is a big time no-no. If dogs don't "behave" they are not given water and put into a too small cage. They won't have water the rest of the day. Some employees appear to have the same mentality as this manager. Some dogs have been slapped or kicked when they do something "wrong". I write this because this information came from people I feel are truly concerned but unable to speak out. The next time your dog doesn't want to stay somewhere it may be more than they are missing you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I read recently of an alarming number of reports of pets dying at PetSmart during a grooming. My beagle died at PetSmart in Devon, PA, which closed recently. This happened in 2008 and we did nothing to pursue it. I dropped him off for a bath and half an hour later received a call to come quickly. By the time I got there he wasn't there. The groomer had taken him to my vet who was less than a mile away. When I arrived at the vet he let me know that Bailey had died. Supposedly he had just dropped dead but I was suspicious that he had fallen from the table while tied by the neck. We were too distraught to pursue it or try to find out what might have happened. Obviously I should have!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Placed an order at 9 AM for food that was in stock at Huntington NY store location for pick up. By 3 PM am still waiting for email from store that order is ready to be picked up. Called customer service and after half hour of holding am told that the order cannot be cancelled. Doesn't make sense that if food was in stock why it takes more than five hours to be picked up and that customer service cannot cancel. Horrible customer service and online ordering experience.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Safety and the welfare of pets completely disregarded at this store. I am appalled, disgusted and concerned that an employee was spraying cleaner and leaving it sit while cats were present! This is unhealthy and certainly a safety concern because these cats are inhaling these fumes confined in a small area!! I can't believe a manager/supervisor would permit these practices unless this is an approved standard of practice with PetSmart, which is unacceptable!! This is cruel, abusive and inhumane!! How many pets have to die because your employees are not properly trained or grossly unsupervised???

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

The employees at PetSmart are always very nice, but unfortunately the PetSmart on E Independence in Charlotte NC, has sold me 3 beta fish with an ick disease parasite and I've returned fish and got more with this disease after I spent $160 on fish, tanks, decorations, food etc. And then I just had to spend another $40 to try and save the fish that our 9 m old and 7-year-old are in love with. I think PetSmart needs to treat their fish for parasite and diseases. I think they should look over the animals when people buy them to make sure nothing is wrong with them, as to some of us would not know if they are sick. When checking out the cashier should be able to look at the fish or the lady putting the fish in a bag should be able to say this fish is sick and the treatment for the sick fish they sold should be free.

The lady at the checkout told me that you only feed beta fish once a day every other day only 2-3 pellets which is wrong. You can feed them every day or twice a day but no more than 2-3 pellets. They also are tropical fish and need heaters to kill this parasite and keep the tanks warm, and very clean etc. That dirty tank water or left over food can lead to tail rot, which the lady helping me buy everything for these fish never even mentioned. I think that PetSmart needs to print off a what you need list for every animal they sell and give the people buying animals the list to make sure they have everything since the employees do not know what is needed. Since the employees do not know anything about the animals.

After returning a beta fish with this ick she told me it was not contagious which it is highly contagious. She told me that I didn't have to change the tank water since I bought the fish the day before not even (48 hours), that I could just add the new beta in the split beta tank and now both betas have this ick disease. Which is white spots all over the fish and tail and becomes itchy to them and they slowly die and stop eating, can't breathe, lay on the bottom of the tank and have to keep going up for air. I think that all of this could have been prevented if the lady in the fish department knew about this disease in the beta fish they are selling and the treatment, the fish could have been saved. I'm $200 into just wanting beta fish for my two daughters to be able to have to look at, instead this has been a headache and loss.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

Beware when shopping at any Petsmart in Scottsdale or any other nicer area in Phoenix. The prices are a ripoff across the board much higher than online and Petco. Do your homework and compare prices. They will price match and you will save 15-30% every time but only if you tell them. Then check your receipt because they somehow "forget" to price match each item. A 25 lb. bag of dog food was 18.00 cheaper online. It's quite time consuming but the savings over the lifetime of your dog is enormous.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I always bring my dog here for grooming. We have a 1230 schedule and just because they messed up with paperwork and phone numbers, it took them almost an hour to fix things, then they have the audacity to tell me that because it was late already I have to wait longer than 3-4 hours. Like no apology... so I told them that we were there on time but because they couldn't find the record, took us longer and that they caused the delay... and this person said, "yes that's why I'm telling you that it would take longer." WTF!!! Because of that, did they know that I almost missed to pick up my son from pre-school at 1p? NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, NO ADMITTING THEIR FAULT, NO CONSIDERATION!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

I'm a PetSmart customer since 2005, I have brought Coco to the groomer around every 3 months to get his hair cut, teeth cleaned, & nails done, in the beginning he got everything done nice. I was really happy, this last year hasn't been that way. He has gotten one of his nails caught in your pet cage & had to be removed, then there's been times his hair wasn't cut complete, then he started to get nicks when he came in, it got where they were really rough with him so he snapped at them, which he never did before, when he got nicked it would heal then next haircut it got recut. It got bigger, this week I had to take him to the hospital. Those nicks become a cyst so had to do surgery, by the time they were done, my bill was $349.16.

My complaint is they are way too busy putting too many appointments in one day & working too fast to catch up & not giving good care to our pets, they are family & we don't want them hurt. My pet has never bitten anyone grooming him until just lately, I'm 74 years old & a widow on limited income, this not only hurt my furry friend but my pocketbook.

Please talk to the workers in PetSmart in Casa Grande, AZ about this, I'm going somewhere else to have him groomed. Concerned Mrs. **, **, at P.O. Box **, AZ City, AZ. This last year he has been cut & nicked then it would heal then next haircut they would nick same one again, this week I had to take him to the hospital. It built up & become a cyst, $349.00 later. I have misplaced my last receipt. My name is Georgeann **. Please check this out so others don't go there this, we love our furry friends.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I have been bringing my GD dog for grooming many times to this PetSmart store #0601, 923 N Westhill BLVD, WI. Usually I always used one of stylist who always doing her job very good. This time because she was not available that week, so I tried the other stylist. Her name is **. I asked her if she is stylist & able to work with GD, she said yes. So I brought my GD there yet when I came to the store the stylist was not her but other girl that she referred to without telling me first. Ok, she told she should finished groomed my dog about 3/4 hours.. So when I came to pick him up... OMG... I was very disappointed half his body being groomed, half was not: his tail was very pretty & when I saw him half of his tail being trimmed very short through his skin, half was not.

Behind his ear she shaved very short, the other body hair was not... It was completely disaster: it was look like this was a joke. It look like she tried to make my expensive dog as training time for her skill to groom a GD. If you are not capable to groom a GD you should say so & don't even call yourself a stylist: & I still have to pay the bill for $108.15. Whoever responsible for this store I want my money back & if you go to this store do not go by the stylist I mention above. My visit was on Monday 10/24/16.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

So I wanted to train my dog with a collar so I went in and I seen that their training collars are 169-189$. So I wanted to check if I'm getting my money worth and boom! 189$ product was going for $19.98 on amazon plus shipping 23.98$. I used to bring my dog here for grooming. ** that never again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

2 weeks ago on State Ave PetSmart I adopted 2 cats cause I already adopted 1 cat 2 month before and so pleased. I had to go back and offer a home to another homeless cat so I winded up only keeping one. The other had 2 personality. He slept with me, laid in my lap and talked all the time! So only after 24 hrs I was in between shifts. Come home real quick. I attempted to get the cat off the bed. He wrapped his body around me, started biting and scratching me! It took me a minute to realize what was happening and as quick it happened it was over! I was in so much pain but I had to go back to work so I washed off the blood but no way to cover all the scratches and bite marks. Wearing a uniform so I had to go to work with all the wounds exposed.

By the end of the night my hand started to swell and it was getting hard to use. I got home. Went to bed with a ice pack on my hand. Didn't help by morning. I couldn't even use my hand. Went to the ER. Was prescribed antibiotics. Had to call in to work that evening. The cat was laying next to my husband. He attacked and bit him so we take the cat back. The employee said "I got to get my manager." I showed her what he did to me and my husband she was really rude! And she said we signed paperwork, nothing we can do, and we can never adopt from them again for returning the cat. No apology or empathy.

The worse part I tried to go to work the next day. My hand was completely unusable! Still swollen went back to the doctor to only get more antibiotics and be admitted to the hospital the next day and had surgery on my hand cause pus was going all the way to the bone where I started losing feeling and the pus had started another path which the doctor told me it was leading to a major blood vessels. If or I not gone to the doctor when I did I been dead probably Sun. or Mon. They did emergency surgery to stop the pus cause as the doctor said it had a straight line to a major blood vessel. Spent 3 days in the hospital. Also had to work with a physical therapist to get movement back in my hand on IV cause the antibiotics I was taking at home was resistance to them.

I missed work for 4 days due to their cat. I only wanted to help. Got no apology just basically told I won't get my money back plus basically not welcome back in their store! Thanks PetSmart! I almost died due to one your cats. Then on my way to being admitted to the hospital my husband wanted to stop there to tell them what was happening cause nobody ever even apologize to us. Guess what? I seen the same cat that almost killed me back on display for some unfortunate clueless family to adopt him! PetSmart don't have to worry. We both agreed we will NEVER EVER shop or adopt there again!

They are very insensitive and don't care about the customers just making money. That's why to me I brought paperwork showing I was being treated for animal bites and just a slap in the face the cat is up for adoption again. Who cares the cat bit you? Your hand swollen up to where you couldn't use it. Missed 4 days of work. Almost died if I didn't go to the hospital when I did had to take physical therapy to regain use of my hand and have emergency surgery. We just care bout ourselves and making money! I am a manager of a business. I would never dare treat our customers that way! I would be FIRED! Bad business. Beware of adopting animals from PETSMART!

PetSmart Company Information