3.73/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

PetSafe Reviews

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I love my wireless pet containment system. I have two strong, but super sweet pit bulls & they have been able to be outside freely as they like with this system. I have never had an issue with them running through the perimeter. When they hear the beep warning, they turn around a go back the other way. It even keeps them from chasing deer outside the perimeter & that is incredible because they really want to chase them when they come onto our property. Some of the best money I have spent. Also, PetSafe customer service is excellent. Always friendly & helpful. They put the service back in customer service!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I like that PetSafe was wireless, portable and a decent sized range. I was able to take it with me and set it up at various locations wherever I was. It also came in a convenient carry case to keep everything together. It is effective, but it could be more user friendly and intuitive. I felt as though the set up was quite frustrating and confusing and it took several attempt to "get it right". Also, the unit itself is rather bulky for being portable, and could be reduced in size.

Get expert buying tips about Electric Dog Fences delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I like not having to worry about my dog running out of the yard without having to put up a fence. It gives more than enough distance for her to run and has a comfortable collar. Very easy to set up and operate on a daily basis. It took me about 45 mins to set up. And to operate it only takes memorizing a couple imaged buttons. I just wish that there was a way to keep the pet in the yard without having to subject them to that painful shock. I've tried it on myself and it hurts.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My dog can go outside and do his business and enjoy the outdoors free of restraint and still stay on my property. Makes him feel a bigger part of the family and he can enjoy being with us and not feel like he's being punished by being on a chain or leash. If he steps out of bounds he gets an impulse shock which makes him come back. However, I would suggest longer yardage coverage. Price could be more available in my budget but I know it costs to build them but I really do think that we can figure out another way other than scaring my dog from the noise it permits. Also really needed to pay attention to the instructions. But PetSafe is easy to use and it definitely was worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The PetSafe electric fence did not hurt my dog. It just caught his attention, and let him know he was not supposed to be climbing the fence or trying to jump over it. It was also very easy to install and the directions were simple and easy to follow. It was very effective in keeping my dog in the fenced in yard. I would recommend it to a friend. However, it did not last as long as I expected. It stretched out and did not stay tight around the top of the fence. We had to keep going out every few weeks to tighten it back around the top of our original fence.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSafe?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

With a little digging, it is rather simple to put up the boundaries underground. It's easier done with someone who is a professional at installing these things but either way it's not too hard to do and doesn't cost too much money either. PetSafe works very well for my dog. She used to runaround when I let her outside loose and it got her into some real trouble. It's the best fence I ever had the pleasure of owning. It's taught my dog to be more well behaved and obedient and she never is bad anymore. Now she stays within the electric fence boundaries and knows not to go any further than she's allowed. It's great and would recommend it to people that asked.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The purchase I made was reasonably priced. It included step by step instructions with pictures that were easy to understand, and it was quite easy to install. If I can do it anyone can. The base or part you keep inside was not bulky. It was effective and did exactly what it said. However, the batteries in the dog collar could have lasted longer and maybe have a different type of snap for the collar.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The packaging was nice and the instructions were easy to follow. It was easy to set up and easy to use. All I had to do was set it up and check if it worked. This product works very well. My dog likes to run after our neighbors or likes to make sure that people know that it's her yard. This product makes sure that she is enclosed and that she is not able to roam free. I would recommend this to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I really like this dog fence. Moderately easy to set up, you plug in the box and have to test the boundary line. For in town yards it can be tricky to make sure they aren't going into the neighbor's yard but yet still have plenty of room to run. The batteries tend to die very quickly too and need replaced often. We have also had a glitch with our collars where they weren't allowing them to go as far as they should have been and would shock them. Other than those, lots of options for shock zone and strength of shock. The collars are also adjustable and not too bulky.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This brand was fairly priced and easy to use. Lasted years so far. I liked the training videos included, they're fairly straightforward. Installation was also fairly easy, although I recommend renting a installer as it was time consuming. We had to rent a cable installer from the hardware store and it would have been so much harder without it. Even so we had to go back over and cover the trench we created. Also I had a problem getting a replacement button battery for the collar, after calling the company I had to spend a ton of money on buying a brand new collar because I lost the battery cap.

PetSafe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

PetSafe markets and sells products from Radio Systems Corporation under the PetSafe brand name. The company sells several types of containment systems, training collars, toys and automatic feeding stations. PetSafe products are available in 52 countries. The company is headquartered in Plainfield, Indiana, and has been in business since 1991.

• Options: PetSafe sells wireless fences, in-ground fences and electric training collars.

• Free shipping: Orders over $25 ship free, and because all of PetSafe’s fences and training collars cost more than $25, you’ll get free standard shipping on your order. You can pay for expedited shipping to get a product quickly.

• Warranty: PetSafe fences and collars have a one-year limited warranty. The company guarantees their products are free from defects in material or workmanship during that period.

• Helpful articles: The PetSafe website has several informative articles that will help you buy the right fence for your situation. There are articles about both in-ground and wireless fences, as well as installation videos for each system.

• Bark for Your Park Grant: PetSafe gives grants to help communities install and maintain dog parks. The company awards these grants yearly.

• Best for: people who can’t put up a fence because they rent or because of HOA restrictions, people who don’t like the look of standard fences, people who travel, people working on training their dog and people with hard-to-contain dogs.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
      Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

PetSafe Company Information