3.67/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: Oct. 25, 2017

24 PetSafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The PetSafe electric fence did not hurt my dog. It just caught his attention, and let him know he was not supposed to be climbing the fence or trying to jump over it. It was also very easy to install and the directions were simple and easy to follow. It was very effective in keeping my dog in the fenced in yard. I would recommend it to a friend. However, it did not last as long as I expected. It stretched out and did not stay tight around the top of the fence. We had to keep going out every few weeks to tighten it back around the top of our original fence.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

With a little digging, it is rather simple to put up the boundaries underground. It's easier done with someone who is a professional at installing these things but either way it's not too hard to do and doesn't cost too much money either. PetSafe works very well for my dog. She used to runaround when I let her outside loose and it got her into some real trouble. It's the best fence I ever had the pleasure of owning. It's taught my dog to be more well behaved and obedient and she never is bad anymore. Now she stays within the electric fence boundaries and knows not to go any further than she's allowed. It's great and would recommend it to people that asked.

Get expert buying tips about Electric Dog Fences delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

My dog can go outside and do his business and enjoy the outdoors free of restraint and still stay on my property. Makes him feel a bigger part of the family and he can enjoy being with us and not feel like he's being punished by being on a chain or leash. If he steps out of bounds he gets an impulse shock which makes him come back. However, I would suggest longer yardage coverage. Price could be more available in my budget but I know it costs to build them but I really do think that we can figure out another way other than scaring my dog from the noise it permits. Also really needed to pay attention to the instructions. But PetSafe is easy to use and it definitely was worth the money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I like not having to worry about my dog running out of the yard without having to put up a fence. It gives more than enough distance for her to run and has a comfortable collar. Very easy to set up and operate on a daily basis. It took me about 45 mins to set up. And to operate it only takes memorizing a couple imaged buttons. I just wish that there was a way to keep the pet in the yard without having to subject them to that painful shock. I've tried it on myself and it hurts.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Non-harming but effective enclosure. The dogs didn't seem to really notice it that much so it didn't scare them, thankfully. Looks better than most of the other fences in the store, and better than paying a couple thousand to install a privacy fence. It's fairly easy to install, some nuisances with the batteries and wires but nothing I couldn't handle, kind of a ridiculous look once it's all done if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. However, I dislike the bulky collar/generic looking casing, my neighbors all thought I was building a landing pad for alien invaders and the kids in the area keep taking pieces of the fence. Should be more secure in the ground.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PetSafe?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The PetSafe fence was used for my chocolate lab dog - it surrounded the yard and collar keep the dog in the yard. It did a great job and my dog did very well with it. I really liked the fence.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I really like this dog fence. Moderately easy to set up, you plug in the box and have to test the boundary line. For in town yards it can be tricky to make sure they aren't going into the neighbor's yard but yet still have plenty of room to run. The batteries tend to die very quickly too and need replaced often. We have also had a glitch with our collars where they weren't allowing them to go as far as they should have been and would shock them. Other than those, lots of options for shock zone and strength of shock. The collars are also adjustable and not too bulky.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

It was very easy to install the fence and it keeps my dog from leaving the area that I need him to stay when I let him play in the yard. The collar will help you get and keep your dog within the borders of the property line or deal with the shock from the collar. It is an interesting piece of equipment cause it keeps my dog safe and others as well. There is not anything about this that is totally unsafe too.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

All you have to do is set the prongs in the yard where you need them. Plug in the sensor and then place the collars snugly on the dog. When you're done just let them roam. It is effective and I can easily turn it on and off when needed. It was affordable and easy to buy extra collars too. PetSafe goes above and beyond my expectations and I believe it is the best value for the money. I haven't had another electric fence like it and I have used a lot.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I like that PetSafe was wireless, portable and a decent sized range. I was able to take it with me and set it up at various locations wherever I was. It also came in a convenient carry case to keep everything together. It is effective, but it could be more user friendly and intuitive. I felt as though the set up was quite frustrating and confusing and it took several attempt to "get it right". Also, the unit itself is rather bulky for being portable, and could be reduced in size.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I like that it was easy to install. My boyfriend did the installation but it was very fast under 45 minutes and he said it was amazingly simple. The directions were well wrote and easy to follow. It has adjustable boundaries so it was perfect since our yard was pretty small. And it was way cheaper than getting actual fencing. Love that it's wireless. It worked great for my dogs and I don't even have them using it anymore, they learned to stay within the area without it now.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The purchase I made was reasonably priced. It included step by step instructions with pictures that were easy to understand, and it was quite easy to install. If I can do it anyone can. The base or part you keep inside was not bulky. It was effective and did exactly what it said. However, the batteries in the dog collar could have lasted longer and maybe have a different type of snap for the collar.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The packaging was nice and the instructions were easy to follow. It was easy to set up and easy to use. All I had to do was set it up and check if it worked. This product works very well. My dog likes to run after our neighbors or likes to make sure that people know that it's her yard. This product makes sure that she is enclosed and that she is not able to roam free. I would recommend this to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

It was a little bit confusing to install but works well now that it is installed. It is hard to watch the dogs training on it at first because they do get shocked, but our dogs learned quickly and it allows them the freedom to be in our front yard when we are there, instead of having to stay inside. It also helps when people come to the front door because they aren't so interested in trying to get out since they get to go out front now. Installment made simpler to understand would be beneficial though. They are also expensive, but I think it is worth it and it is a lot cheaper than building a fence, which not many people can even do in their front yards. I would recommend it to people who live in subdivisions and cannot fence their front yards. I think it looks nicer than a front yard fence too.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

This brand was fairly priced and easy to use. Lasted years so far. I liked the training videos included, they're fairly straightforward. Installation was also fairly easy, although I recommend renting a installer as it was time consuming. We had to rent a cable installer from the hardware store and it would have been so much harder without it. Even so we had to go back over and cover the trench we created. Also I had a problem getting a replacement button battery for the collar, after calling the company I had to spend a ton of money on buying a brand new collar because I lost the battery cap.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Had a great price with adjustable collar. It was very easy to install simply set up the box and put on the dogs collar, no wires or fence needed. Put up the flags to help pet learn their boundaries. My dog responded very well. It was very reliable and energy efficient and the cost was low. But there's not enough range from the box, hard to determine how far animal can roam, there are not enough flags and the collars don't fit large animals well. Could have been cheaper too.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

It doesn't work as good as they say it would and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone I know or talk too. It was very difficult and needed a lot of improvement as it's not as strong and sturdy as the reviews and things said. The height of it wasn't the best and was very awkward and the fence itself was not good quality. The material of it was very off. The whole fence needs to be more stronger. I may try DOGTEK next time.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

This was the only electric fence I have used and the instructions for set up and installation were detailed and clear. I liked that it came with an instructional DVD too. But it would be helpful to include more thorough suggestions and instructions as to how to purchase and install additional cable length when needed. Although the included DVD and instructions were easy to follow, the installation was difficult because we needed a larger area covered. The collar was also very bulky and tended to weigh down my dog's neck sometimes so we would only put the collar on when he was placed outside as he was an indoor and outdoor dog.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Early this year, my husband and I adopted a Sphynx kitten from a breeder up in Canada. She shipped our kitten, along with two others, after driving to the US to send at the Fargo airport. Another woman expecting a kitten from the same breeder received my kitten instead (and vice versa). My kitten ended up in Buffalo, NY, and the other woman's ended up with me in Tulsa, OK. When the wrong kitten arrived at the TUL airport, they did not notice that the carrier was clearly marked for BUF (Buffalo airport to arrive to **) ALL OVER the container, or that they had handed me an airbill for the other woman instead of me.

Thankfully they let me take the kitten anyway (even though my ID was CLEARLY not the right one, which blows my mind) because they probably would have kept him in a kennel and he would have frozen to death since he arrived with an upper respiratory infection due to the stress from travel. The other woman was also able to take the other kitten into her own care while we sorted out our next steps - steps which ultimately ended up requiring that we keep both kittens instead of letting them ride on another two airplane flights and stop-over in kennels where they risked more exposure to infections worsening.

I requested a full refund because it blew my mind that this could happen. I have photos of the carrier and the wrong airbill handed to me, and the other girl has photos of her carrier and documentation that her kitten's sweater was removed, compromising his warmth and resulting in an even worse physical condition (they are Sphynx cats and require sweaters and heated pads during travel for extra warmth). The person we dealt with at Buffalo airport was horrible and took forever to even figure out basic logistics. While I did end up with a refund after hounding United for weeks with almost no interaction or updates, I definitely don't plan on allowing any animals to ride as PetSafe passengers. I regret my decision, and will drive next time, should I end up adopting another kitten.

Original review: April 29, 2015

Be very wary if they tell you it has a Lifetime warranty. Now that I need it, they tell me that "lifetime" refers to the life of the product. In other words, there is only a warranty until it breaks.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I purchased a replacement pump for my pet water fountain. Although I read a review about a leaking problem, I thought that I could resolve the issue with some vaseline on the seal. I was wrong. Now, I lose the money I originally paid for shipping and the money I have to pay to ship it back.

Original review: May 27, 2010

I purchased the Guardian Outdoor Bark Control at Kmart in S. Attleboro, MA to stop my neighbor's dogs from barking, their kennel is about 15 feet away from my apartment door. Under Trusted Solutions on the outside of the box it says, "It sends the ultrasonic sound up to 50 feet." Also it says under Common Questions: "Is the Guardian Outdoor Bark Control effective on all dogs?” Under Trusted Solutions it say's "not effective on deaf /hearing impaired dogs." My neighbor's dogs are neither deaf nor hearing impaired. I used the product correctly for 2 months with no results. Inside the box, from the operating guide it says, “You should expect a noise reduction in two weeks.” Under the Terms of Use section, it also says: "The specific temperament of your pet may not work with this product."

On the outside of the box under Common Questions where it reads, "Is the Guardian Bark Control effective on all dogs?” I believe the manufacture should have added the specific temperament of your pet may not work with this product, so the consumer could make an adequate decision on whether or not to spend approximately $50.00 on this product. I called the representative concerning the ineffectiveness of the product, and he said "that would be something he would discuss with the company, and it would be a good idea to add that to the outside of the box." He also said to "return it to the store I bought it from if I was unsatisfied with the product."

I just thought it was misleading to the customer that they didn't print on the outside of the box under Trusted Solutions, that "due to the specific temperament of your pet, it may not work on all dogs," otherwise I would have made the decision not to purchase this product if there was a possibility of it not being effective on all dogs. This product had no effectiveness on my neighbor’s dogs, and I was very disappointed with the outcome of this product. Their website for your information is **. I don't believe it mentions the fact that "due to the specific temperament of your pet, it may not work on all dogs.”

Original review: Oct. 14, 2009 I bought five of their pet doors, four of which were large extreme wheather doors. I asked the sales person if these doors would be good for pregnant female Beagles and their puppies and he asured me they were. So I installed these doors on my Beagle unit which holds four Beagles. Then I lost a puppy that was six weeks old, I caulked it up to nature, then some time went by and I had another litter and then I lost three puppies when they were six weeks old and then I thought it was a reaction to medicine, also each time when I cleaned up I noticed they were chewing on the pet door's insulating center piece, I did not pay much mind to it because puppies chew on everything, but then after some time went by I lost three more puppies I consulted with my Vet and he told me that the insulation in the door can cause stomach and bowell inflamation which causes the puppy to get a severe case of diarea and die in a very short time. I only lost the puppies when they were big enough to start chewing and get into trouble which was between 5-6 weeks of age. When I contacted the company from their web site at www.petsafe.net their response was they were sorry and that I should use a product called bitter apples to repel puppies from chewing on the insulation, and then yhey went on to tell me I could buy replacement flaps for $28.00. I could just scream. Do you tell a mother who's child got sich from eating lead paint on a toy well you should put bitter apples on the toy to stop it from chewing on it or do you make a change to your product so that nothing like this happens again. I was very heart broken over the lost of those puppies after spending so much time with them. I removed all traces of that flap from my units and now looking for a suitable replacement. But I really cannot brlieve the so called remeady they gave me and then to ask for more money on a product that is fatal to young and for all I know even older dogs.
Original review: Feb. 14, 2008

We have 3 dogs of various sizes, a lab mix, a pug and a chihuahua-pug mix. The other night while we were sleepin our smallest dog, the chihuahua-pug mix,apparently got her tags caught in the edge of the pet door. She must have struggled a long time to get herself loose, because when we got up, at about 5:45am, she was bloody and had a hole in her throat. Apparently she had struggled to the point of stabbing herself in the neck with one of the tags on her collar.

We took her to the vet and, thank God, he was there early and took her in. She had a hole in her windpipe and he had to place a shunt in her throat for a few days to allow for drainage. She seems to be doing better now and the doctor said her prognosis is good. She is 13 years old and we know is not as likely to recover well as a younger dog would, but we are praying for a full recovery.

We looked all over and tried to find where she had hurt herself. We thought at first it may have been a coyote attack, but the vet said not likely to have been an animal attack.

When we got home we noticed that most of the blood was around and on the doggy door and after playing around with the tags on her collar, we found that the tags could quite easily get lodged in where the magnet raises up to attach to the flap and as long as you are pulling sideways, no effort will dislodge the collar. Pulling straight up it can be dislodged, but apparently, in her panic, she did not do this. Because of her height, she would be the most likely of our dogs to have experienced this disaster.

We have ordered breakaway collars for all of the dogs, but are concerned and may leave the rabies, license and identification tags off of the dogs entirely. We know that if for some reason the dogs should get out of the yard, we may not see them again. I am forwarding the information to PetSafe.

PetSafe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

PetSafe markets and sells products from Radio Systems Corporation under the PetSafe brand name. The company sells several types of containment systems, training collars, toys and automatic feeding stations. PetSafe products are available in 52 countries. The company is headquartered in Plainfield, Indiana, and has been in business since 1991.

• Options: PetSafe sells wireless fences, in-ground fences and electric training collars.

• Free shipping: Orders over $25 ship free, and because all of PetSafe’s fences and training collars cost more than $25, you’ll get free standard shipping on your order. You can pay for expedited shipping to get a product quickly.

• Warranty: PetSafe fences and collars have a one-year limited warranty. The company guarantees their products are free from defects in material or workmanship during that period.

• Helpful articles: The PetSafe website has several informative articles that will help you buy the right fence for your situation. There are articles about both in-ground and wireless fences, as well as installation videos for each system.

• Bark for Your Park Grant: PetSafe gives grants to help communities install and maintain dog parks. The company awards these grants yearly.

• Best for: people who can’t put up a fence because they rent or because of HOA restrictions, people who don’t like the look of standard fences, people who travel, people working on training their dog and people with hard-to-contain dogs.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

PetSafe Company Information