2. Pets
ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.56/5

Petplan Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had my 3 year dog on Petplan for 1 year and only made one claim. They put her plan up over 300$ at her renewal. When I called to inquire why basically 'because we can'... no good reason. I am so so so disappointed in this company and fear the future amounts will keep going up until I can't afford it and probably when I really need it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this pet insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I started paying Petplan almost 1.5 years ago. My dog has issues with biting her butt and whenever she does that, I take her to the vet to remove whatever build up she has in her glands. When I first started I asked customer service would this be covered under insurance. They said right away yes it will be covered. When I submitted my bills last year, first they said that my dog has a preexisting condition so it won't be covered.

When I told them that the previous time was due to diarrhea and not her biting her butt. They said it's still preexisting so it won't be covered. I was extremely upset. On top of that they told me that I was doing this as a preventative measure so it won't be covered even though I told them I take her to the vet because of her biting her butt not as a preventative measure. So basically I am paying them in addition to taking my dog to the vet. Which is double the cost. They also don't cover food that is prescribed by the vet when my dog had diarrhea. That food was expensive.

I am paying 60$ per month (250 deductible, 90% coverage), so that's about $800 so far. Plus I am paying the vet which is about $300 (plus any other issues she might have). I am paying the insurance company more than my vet Bills LOL. I will cancel my policy soon because I would rather set aside 60 bucks each month to save if anything happens to my lil pup.

Also when I tried to cancel the policy they sweet talk you into staying, saying that if you give us more proof then we will cover you. You can't just get a letter from a doc saying that this was due to so and so because everything is stated in the medical notes. And it could also be a veterinarian that is not there anymore. They only provide the contact to customer service who don't really know anything. There is no contact with anyone who actually assess the claims. Overall it didn't cover anything and not very user friendly. I would give no stars if there was an option.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Have had our cat insured with PetPlan for many years (over 10) and maybe had 3 small claims. Got notice for her renewal which last year was $613 and was told over $1200 (double from last year, same coverage). Could not believe it. She is 16. It’s like your writing off her because she is older. I could have put away what I have paid over the years and been ahead of the game. Very upset and disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Got a email from them stating pet is protected. After 12 months made a claim and they had all these excused why my pet wasn't covered. They collected my money the whole time. They led me to believe I had protection coverage. Something about a time lapsed for a Vet. exam and I do qualify. They refused to pay back my money as the policy stated it would do, if I didn't meet these requirements. Beware!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

After seven years of continued service...I was informed today that my Labs' insurance plan was canceled back in August 2019! I was never made aware of this and to top it off wasn't given any notice except I received today an uncashed check for his policy from June of this month; no info or reason why. Customer service was unable or unresponsive to this & made no effort to solve this issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I paid this company premiums for four years and did nothing but waste my money. Every single claim we submitted - 3 - was denied for some new excuse or mysterious new policy change. I called to cancel my policy after the third decline and they tried to blame me for everything and in the same breath, tried to talk me into not canceling. Seriously?? I’m so angry with myself - I’m going to do what I wish I had done in the beginning: put that premium money into an account each month. If I need it, I don’t have to jump through ever-changing loopholes designed to make it difficult to ever have a claim paid. If I don’t use it, the money grows until I do when my pup gets older. I’m so sorry I ever went with this company; I thought I was protecting my pup and our finances. Unfortunately all I was doing was giving Petplan my money for nothing.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I have been with this company for over 12 years. I DO expect the yearly premium to go up yearly as the pet gets older..i didn't expect last year to have to raise my deductible AND still pay a higher premium for the same coverage I had the prior year. This year in order to keep what I currently have the policy premium doubled. I'm now paying over 1500 dollars a year. They of course told me I could lower my coverage (and that's still more than last year's premium cost). Sadly people like myself are stuck..you can't insure your older pet with a pre existing condition anywhere else so you are forced to stay. I am so very disappointed as I used to recommend them to everyone.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Received a letter from PetPlan last week October 2019. "These were decisions that were not taken lightly and we know that many will be affected. We recognize that these changes may require you to reexamine your coverage." My current rate is $1090 a year. In January my new rate will be $2775 a year for the same policy. We have been clients for 6 years since she was a puppy. To make things worst right after we received the letter my girl was diagnosed with Mast Cell. We are heart broken, PetPlan has let us down increasing our policy by 150%. Where is the customer loyalty, just thrown to the curb when we needed our insurance the most. Shame on YOU!!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I have been with Petplan since May 2019 and the experience has not been positive. The claims that I have submitted have all been denied ($500) deductible. Now I am being billed multiple times in one month fraudulently. I would recommend that people shop elsewhere for pet insurance. Their business practices are less than transparent and very deceptive. I will be canceling my policy and going with another insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I had been a customer for over five years. They were a great Company. I had one claim for my dog's Surgery and received a Check within two weeks of filing. I recently placed a claim for my dog's Arthritis and received the runaround. I had spoken to six different people and they all wanted more records. Then after two months went by and nothing from them I recontacted and was asked for something completely different. They just wanted the vets notes which I could have gotten to them immediately, I figured if this is their new way of doing things since this claim was small I decided to Cancel my policy before they stuck me for a larger claim in the future. I signed up with a new Company which has number one reviews, PETS BEST. They were 20% cheaper and seem to be a much better company.

Petplan Company Information