2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Petplan Pet Insurance covers costs associated with accidents, illnesses or curable preexisting conditions for dogs and cats. Customers can customize deductibles, reimbursement percentages and annual limitations. The company gives free online quotes, and pet owners can get discounts for multiple pets or service animals.

Take a Pet Insurance Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: March 6, 2020

I purchased my policies for my two Alaskan Malamutes. They were great in the beginning, very easy to start a claim. But after changing underwriters they are horrible. Honestly I feel like they are taking advantage of their original customers. I have received hardly any money from them. When they switched underwriters you were automatically put into a plan where your deductible turned into $250 per CONDITION. My original plan was per condition but it was much lower and attainable. They never told me about the switch. The reason I couldn't get an annual deductible was because I had claims with the previous underwriter.

I was basically getting punished for using my insurance. If I knew this I would have canceled and gone with another company. But now I can not switch because my girl has a pre-existing condition that will not be covered under any other company. Do your research I found some great company for a lower price that will cover a lot more. They will also give you a multiple pet discount. After advocating pet plan for my first years I have changed my tune. STAY AWAY FROM PETPLAN!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I signed up with Petplan in the month of August 2019. In October, my dog accidentally ate ibuprofen which is poisonous for dogs so I took him to emergency care. I opened the claim with petplan for the bills I paid, they took 3 months and rejected the claim saying that I didn't take my dog to vet for the examination after signing up with them.

I didn't know that I have to take my dog for the checkup after signing up with them. So I asked the customer care if they would reject the claims in the future as well for the same reason and he didn't provide the answer. Why would they charge a monthly premium if they are going to reject the claims without the medical reports? Instead of helping the customers, they are finding ways to reject the claims and steal the customer money.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

PLEASE reconsider joining PetPlan. This company maybe the first one to pop up on your Google search but they are not worth all the headaches of their irresponsible and downright terrible upper management. I will go so far as to say they have "breached my contract" and made changes to my policy without my consent. Please read this before choosing PetPlan. I cannot express how strongly I recommend you consider other pet insurance companies before choosing PetPlan.

I have been with PetPlan Insurance for close to four years now. They handle their claims well and pay relatively quickly but that is not the whole picture. When I received my annual renewal notice for this year, I was a bit shocked at just how much my monthly premium was going to be. On 9/28/19 I called PetPlan and spoke with a customer service representative. She said I could lower my premium if I went from an Unlimited Annual Limit to $250,000 annual limit. She explained that nothing else would change on my policy. I would still have $100 deductible per year and 90% reimbursement. I repeated this to her at least 3 times. I wanted to be sure my deductible would stay at $100. This was my primary concern. She reassured me each time that nothing would change other than my annual limit.

I got a call back from the same representative the next day. She apologized and said she had made a mistake. If I lowered my annual limit to $250,000 this would make my deductible change to $250. I immediately told her never mind, I would rather pay the higher monthly premium, I did not want a deductible of $250. That is when I was told my policy cannot be changed. She had made the changes and supposedly nothing could be done to change it back. I insisted on speaking to someone above her. Same story. Over and over again person after person.

I finally got someone who claimed they would take the matter to a supervisor and see what can be done. At this time I am told I will get a call back in few days. After a week passes, I call again. I cannot speak with the same person as before so I must go through the whole story again. This happens week after week. I call, I repeat the story, I am told I will get a call back and nothing.

As of 10/21 nothing had been corrected so I call again. Once again, I cannot speak with the person from before. This time however I am told the notes in the system show the matter has been sent to the IT department and they are working on it. Apparently, their computer system is not set up to make such changes. I will get a call when IT has made the correction.

11/13 Nothing has changed. I call again! I finally speak to a representative (we will call this person Agent S) who says she truly understands what has happened. She is the only person who has been on the phone with me ever since. She returns my calls and does seem to care about what has happened, however my account is still not corrected. This company has the worst upper management/ back office/tech support and or computer system of any company I have ever heard of.

Remember now, this all began because one of their customer service representatives gave me incorrect information and made a change to my account to my account that I did not want. When this first began I had claims that needed to be processed. Claims that happened in August. With the account being so messed up I was told to hold off on submitting the claims until this matter could be fixed. At around mid-December I told Agent S I needed to get these claims turned in. I wanted them done before the end of 2019 so I could start 2020 paid up. She had me send the claims directly to her and she submitted them so that she could make sure everything was processed as $100 deductible.

Yesterday in the mail I received two letters. One letter telling me that $117.24 will not be paid since the claim is over 90 days. (This is the first I have heard about claims having to be filed within a specific time frame.) The second letter says that $156.51 will not be paid because it does not meet my deductible of …$250.

I cannot just leave and go to another company and PetPlan knows it.

My dogs have knee issues. They each had a knee replacement by the time they were 2 years old. We know the other knee will need surgery at some point as they age. This is considered a preexisting condition and no other insurance company will cover the surgery when the time comes. There are other medical issues that will not be covered by another insurance company as they will be considered preexisting. PetPlan has me trapped. I can not stress enough…consider other companies. This company has the worst management of any company I’ve dealt with in years.

Respectfully, A

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

This company should not be in business. They turn around the vets words written in the notes. My dog bloated and needed surgery. They claimed it was elective. He would have died if he did not have the surgery.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Yes like many others Petplan refused my claim because it was a pre existing condition. Diarrhea....if your pet has had it and then you claim for another stomach problem whatever it is and however caused they don't pay lifetime coverage? Baloney! Absolute con and no contact through claim to discuss what was happening. Money paid for big boss to have a holiday!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Been paying them insurance premiums for over 8 years, without having to file one claim. When my baby got sick at 8 years and 8 months old, they found a way to deny my claim. I could've paid the Vet bills 10 times over, if I had just put the money in savings, instead of paying this worthless company. They don't even deserve 1 star. Rest in peace my Haole girl :'(

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Petplan denied coverage for surgery for my dog, claiming he had a preexisting condition, which he did not. I've been paying for this policy for 7 years, and could have paid for his surgery 10 times over by now. When I called to try to get them to reconsider or file an appeal, they had nothing to offer me but the "opportunity" to change to a lower level of coverage. Ridiculous!!

Do not use Petplan. They claim to care but absolutely do not. Check out their Facebook page--there is a reason why they don't have a Reviews section on their company page. I have so many friends and family with pets, including some who work with and in dog rescues, and they'll all be hearing about this. Shame on you, Petplan!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Last Spring 2019 I submitted my claim on the website (as directed to do so by the website) for my dog's pancreatitis. When I did not receive any further communication, I called PetPlan in the Summer of 2019. I was instructed to fax in the claim. I did so. In September of 2019 I called again. Still no record of the claim. I was asked to fax again. I did so. I called the end of October 2019 and after being on hold approx. 30 minutes, I was told by the customer service agent that he had no idea what was going on but I would be told something by mail very soon. In November 2019 I called and was told the claim was denied because it had been received in October 2019. I did get the letter the third week of November 2019. AGH. This was such a frustrating experience and we feel very much ripped off. This company does not back up its product and its customer service is chaotic and misinformed.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had my 3 year dog on Petplan for 1 year and only made one claim. They put her plan up over 300$ at her renewal. When I called to inquire why basically 'because we can'... no good reason. I am so so so disappointed in this company and fear the future amounts will keep going up until I can't afford it and probably when I really need it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this pet insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I started paying Petplan almost 1.5 years ago. My dog has issues with biting her butt and whenever she does that, I take her to the vet to remove whatever build up she has in her glands. When I first started I asked customer service would this be covered under insurance. They said right away yes it will be covered. When I submitted my bills last year, first they said that my dog has a preexisting condition so it won't be covered.

When I told them that the previous time was due to diarrhea and not her biting her butt. They said it's still preexisting so it won't be covered. I was extremely upset. On top of that they told me that I was doing this as a preventative measure so it won't be covered even though I told them I take her to the vet because of her biting her butt not as a preventative measure. So basically I am paying them in addition to taking my dog to the vet. Which is double the cost. They also don't cover food that is prescribed by the vet when my dog had diarrhea. That food was expensive.

I am paying 60$ per month (250 deductible, 90% coverage), so that's about $800 so far. Plus I am paying the vet which is about $300 (plus any other issues she might have). I am paying the insurance company more than my vet Bills LOL. I will cancel my policy soon because I would rather set aside 60 bucks each month to save if anything happens to my lil pup.

Also when I tried to cancel the policy they sweet talk you into staying, saying that if you give us more proof then we will cover you. You can't just get a letter from a doc saying that this was due to so and so because everything is stated in the medical notes. And it could also be a veterinarian that is not there anymore. They only provide the contact to customer service who don't really know anything. There is no contact with anyone who actually assess the claims. Overall it didn't cover anything and not very user friendly. I would give no stars if there was an option.

Petplan Company Information