2.49/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

88 Petplan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was nearing the end pretty tough overseas work trip when my friend who was dog-sitting my pet Barkley texted me saying he was at the Vet/ER because Barkley broke his leg. I called the vet immediately and was told it was a bad break, definitely required surgery and it had to happen ASAP. I honestly thought he might lose his leg. The doctor was upfront and told me this could cost as much as 6k. When I said I had pet insurance she was relieved for me and Barkley and said she tells everyone it's a must have for pet owners. She's right. Barkley is getting the care he needs to recover and Petplan is really coming through.

This was the first claim I filed so I was a little overwhelmed with the process at first but they are very reachable, kind and understanding over the phone and they walked me through every step of the process. Having pet emergencies is undeniably stressful and this was no different but it's nice to know Petplan was there for me and Barkley to make this whole thing a little bit easier. I highly recommend Petplan to owners.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan is a lifesaver! They are a great company to work with and I’m so glad I found them to protect my fur babies. They always respond to inquiries timely and are extremely friendly and helpful. All claims I’ve ever submitted have been reviewed when promised or faster. They’ve always paid what the policy says they will. They don’t try to overreach known conditions to get out of covering other ones. And although when I pay my vet bills the workers always grumble a little when I mention insurance, my vet and hospitals have never expressed any issue working with this company when documentation is needed. It’s very easy to see what will be covered – pick your limit, pick your deductible, pick your co-payment % and done. And their terms and conditions are very easy to read and follow. Anyone considering paying for pet insurance should be getting annual well visits for their pet anyway.

Why pet insurance? Why Petplan? I’ve had two cats and both turned out to have undiagnosed genetic deformities in their internal organs that eventually turned into serious medical conditions. Once the trouble started, diagnosis and treatment cost thousands of dollars. Because of Petplan I never had to say no to any of the recommended treatment because I knew they had my (and my kitty’s) back. They cover hereditary conditions and chronic conditions as long as the condition had not manifested itself and was not detectable when the policy began. And they pay what the vet charges – no fee schedule and no different coverage for regular vets vs. hospitals. Those things distinguish Petplan from other companies offering similar products.

Read the fine print when you compare companies. If you are looking for insurance to cover well visits, then this is not the company for you. However, if you’ve ever had your feline best friend act normal one day and be on death’s door the next, you know how stressful it can be worrying about your pet and how you are going to pay for his or her medical care. And medical care for pets is expensive! Petplan provides great coverage, excellent service and offers very reasonable premiums. If you are looking for an accident and illness policy to cover your cat or dog, I highly recommend Petplan.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Our 10.5 year old dog, whom we've had since a puppy, had a huge tumor removed from his abdomen in late October of 2018. That diagnosis, surgery and follow-up was extremely expensive. When the tumor was found, it was difficult to say whether it was malignant or benign. The alternatives were to let it kill him or remove it and determine if it was malignant or put him down immediately. Without Petplan, that decision would have been much more difficult. But, with our $500 and 10% co-insurance it was a no-brainer. The tumor was removed and unfortunately the biopsy revealed it was a slow growing sarcoma with a high mitotic rate, meaning it would return. However, immediately after the surgery and short recuperation time, our dog was back to being energetic and like a puppy again. He had more energy and was so much happier.

Then we had another decision to make - how do we treat the cancer, if we treat at all. We consulted with an oncologist and was told if we did nothing the tumor would return in about 4 months and we'd be back to where we started prior to the surgery. However, if we treated him with an aggressive chemo regimen we could stall the growth significantly and possibly prevent re-growth for 12-18 months. Thanks to Petplan, this was another easy decision. We opted for the chemo and are enjoying the extra time with our almost 11 year old "puppy." He is having no ill side effects from the treatments. His appetite is amazing and he's more active than he has been in years. He's happy and he looks great.

When all is said and done, the cost of the diagnosis, surgery and cancer treatments is projected to be about $11,900. Petplan's coverage will be about $10,000 and our out of pocket will be approximately $1,900. I should also mention that in 2015 our dog needed Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy for a blown ACL and that cost was around $5,500, of which $4,400 was covered by Petplan.

Yes, we have been paying premiums for over 10 years and yes, the premiums rise dramatically as the dog got older. However, we have accomplished several things - 1) we have taken out the financial factor in the decision making process and 2) we do not have to pay out large lump sums of money at one time. Just the monthly payments and 3) during the term of the policy we will have received benefits that are far in excess of the premiums paid. #3 will not always happen. If it did then Petplan would be out of business. But, that's what insurance is about - reducing your risk of catastrophic payments and giving you peace of mind. In our case, it is also allowing us to spend amazing quality time with our dog and prepare for his inevitable demise while keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you Petplan.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had all of my dogs insured with Petplan for nine years. Due to this fact I am "grandfathered" into the older style policies with per condition deductibles. Since four of my dogs are 13 years old and the youngest one is 10 years old I file many claims. My policies recently renewed and I am tracking claims as I meet the deductible for each condition. I've had issues with one of the dog's claims as he has four chronic conditions and I was getting frustrated until I reached Stacey ** when I called. She was outstanding-- listened to my prior experience calling in, checked on the status of each issue, repeated my concerns back to me to make sure she understood everything and vowed to follow through until they were resolved.

With the exception of one customer service representative I have always been pleased with Petplan. But Stacey went above and beyond-- a true asset to Petplan. I will always have dogs in my life and will always insure them with Petplan. Thank you for allowing me to care for their medical needs regardless of the cost. And thank you Stacey for taking care of my claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had Petplan for over 10 years. They have always paid and were extremely fair and pay back fast. My dog Dixie just passed away from CHF. But because of Petplan I was able to give him the very best care available Not worrying about the cost. They were there for me. Very kind to us as well if I had to call. Never a complaint. Paid his bills. I still have Petplan for my dog Rebel. This is a great Pet Ins Co. I would go nowhere else. They really care. Upon my Dixie's passing they made a donation in his memory to Morris Foundation. A lovely memory for my Dixie. Any time I have put in a claim it was always just what I expected. No cutting here and there. They are 5 stars to me! They are a Godsend to me and my boys. I recommend them highly!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: May 12, 2019

Had this company for over 10 years, loved it, shared it with my friends, then something happened when they changed underwriters. They no longer cared about anything except money, and they use whatever means necessary to get it. I was reading some of the reviews and my experiences were similar, no need to repeat. My Cavachon Taylor was hospitalized in 12/ 2018 and passed - kidney disease, and each aspect of her illness was subject to a deductible. One claim was filed one day late, of course it was denied even though they were closed on 12/25/18, the day was still valid for claim purposes, even though I could not speak to anyone. I am about to add two Cavalier King Charles to my family and am researching companies. I wonder if the people who rated 5 stars are honest or there is a reward attached to their positive review. Did not think I would be writing a negative review. I needed to share this.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had some questions concerning insurance for our Aussie Zeke. As always, your customer service is top notch. Calls are answered promptly. Sarah was a great help to me in resolving a couple of questions. Everyone has treated me with respect. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED. I have referred several folks to Petplan and I hope they take my advice seriously. Simply the best.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Stay away from Petplan!! When I initially signed up, their premiums were reasonable. I understand with age, the cost will increase. However at one point, the company was bought out and prices have gone through the roof! My premiums seem to increase over 10% every year. Coverage is awful compared to other options out there. Don't get stuck like I did. Avoid Petplan altogether!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Since Petplan changed underwriters, I have had one claim for my cat who just died. They requested records for the past two years which has nothing to do with the claim which they refuse to pay saying they need more info. Do not use them.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I was so excited to have this insurance but the app is so outdated it’s just a rip off. I honestly think you are paying them for nothing. They don’t follow up with your claims. But that’s not even the worse part. I found out my company I work with pays 20% of my insurance for my dog and so I was like, "Okay let’s save money with an ACTUAL accredited company."

SO I TRIED MESSAGING THEM because I thought canceling would be easy since I’ve only paid 1 payment for my 6 months... But NO - the robot lady said “you must call to cancel” and so I was at work. Couldn’t talk for long and I was so mad I just said to the robot “unbelievable. I am so canceling” and I called and got this “customer service” lady and she was so RUDE. She sounded like she didn’t care about anything. I said “I need to cancel because my company offers insurance” and she said “Let me transfer you” and then while I was being transferred she came back on the line and said “Megan, I saw what you said on the chat online **”. Now that is a company I WOULD NEVER WANT TO PLACE MY DOG'S LIFE IN THE HANDS OF.

Then the “manager” or whatever came on and tried GUILTING ME into staying... Saying that I will never get insurance from them again and all that and I need to stay and all I said is I want a refund. And he said fine. And then read me some crap about how it’s canceled but I never got an email and if they charge me or do not refund. I'm suing. This is a TERRIBLE company. IDK how they are still in business. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM AND IF YOU JUST DID... CANCEL RIGHT AWAY. Cancel. They do not care about you.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have had this insurance for my dog going on the second year. They have never given me any hassle on any claims that I have submitted. Two months after getting this insurance, my dog was diagnosed with hepatitis. They covered costs as cited in my policy. Going into the second year, she had to have ACL surgery, again, covered costs as cited in my policy. No hassle, reimbursement received within 3 weeks from the time I mailed the claim forms in. You did need to ensure that you include all required documentation when submitting a claim, receipts, invoices, vet notes.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I thought Petplan was an ethical and reliable company... Boy was I wrong. It all started when I actually wanted to claim something. Their marketing and snake oil salesmen trickery really suck you in. You think they care about you and your pet. You pay their ridiculously high monthly rates and feel like you’re covered. However, when my less than one year old dog had diarrhea, we saw the vet for treatment. I submitted this one year old dog's entire history to Petplan, the receipt and my claim. They denied it because they needed more health history (which none existed). They said the diarrhea WM was preexisting and denied the claim (which would have been my deductible anyway).

Right then and there I knew I was dealing with an unethical, backwater, street “insurance” company. More like a mafia family that raises the vig and gives you so called protection. I reported them to the Philadelphia insurance commission immediately. I highly recommend you do your research before using this criminal organization.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have two dogs and one of my dogs has several medical issues. She has developed these medical issues over the 8 years I have had her, and I wasn't aware of any of these issues when I adopted her. I obtained Petplan insurance the day I adopted her. Whenever I have filed a claim with Petplan, they never tell me what portion of my claim is being covered and what isn't. It is never the amount that I have paid to my veterinarian, minus the deductible. Not even close. Additionally, they denied my claims for one medical issue my dog has (incontinence) stating that it was a pre-existing condition. I got the insurance the day I adopted my dog. When I pointed out that the condition was diagnosed after I adopted my dog, they stated that the insurance didn't go into effect until two days after diagnosis. Explain to me how that works?

They also recently changed their deductions and coverage so customers now pay more for insurance and receive less reimbursement. You have no option, but to raise your deductible, to pay less monthly. Last, I was charged twice a few months ago for coverage for both dogs. When I inquired, I was told they they were changing their billing and I was being rewarded for being a good customer with few claims, so now I would be paying a month ahead and getting more of a benefit at the end of my policy term. I asked how that benefited me, and they couldn't explain.

Now I am locked in with this insurance company because my two dogs are older, and trying to get in with another insurance company would cost me a fortune at this point in their lives. Petplan went from being an excellent insurance company many years ago, to a terrible one today. They are now in the business, not to help people who love their pets and want to enrich their lives through good health care, but to make as much money as possible, with no regard or care for their customer. If I could have rated them a zero, I would have.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I literally counted 184 reasons that they could dismiss your claim. The one which caught me off-guard was policy: V. LL. My 4 year old dog unexpectedly got a slipped disc. She was insured by Petplan at the time and all of the waiting periods had passed months ago. Not only are they refusing to cover any portion of the claim, they are also taking the slipped disc as the new baseline of health and all future related injuries will also not be claimable.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I signed up with Petplan before I brought my puppy home - my thought process being I'll try this out in case we need and and drop it later on if I don't. Boy did I ever need it! 3 years later we have made multiple claims for both chronic allergies and a couple emergency visits to boot. I've never had a claim questioned or rejected & customer service has always been great. Petplan has allowed us to seek out specialized care for our dog's allergies (yes my dog sees a veterinary dermatologist) and her quality of life has significantly improved since beginning immunotherapy 1.5 years ago - we could not have gone through all of this without Petplan.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Thank you Sarah ** for answering so many questions about all 4 of our fur babies Petplan policies today. Our pack loves Petplan. Sarah is very helpful, patient, and kind. A great representative of a very caring company. We are so happy we have Petplan to help us take the best care of our babies.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Inappropriately applies deductible AFTER applying a co-pay responsibility, so the consumer actually pays a higher deductible than represented by the policy. E.g. a deductible of $250 with a 20% copay really costs the consumer $300 for a deductible. This is just one way this company has cheated customers.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Phone reps were very swift to sign up new accounts over the phone and information provided was misleading and incomplete. Follow up inquiries were muddled and intended to divert actual information from being provided. Claims covered one month denied the next for the same illness. No feedback provided even if requested, and processing times are too long to make health decisions which may affect the life of your animal. In the end the goal is to take your money and deny claims. If you think health insurance for people is difficult, insurance for animals is just a feel-good money making scam for the insurance companies. They have no connection with the veterinarians and no follow up if they need more information. I spoke with Crystal, Mike, Heather and others over the phone, all of whom were quick with feigned concern for your pet and impossible to get a straight answer from. Don’t bother.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My dog had to have emergency surgery for an obstruction in his stomach. I called Petplan to make sure he was covered and they said he was and that they would pay vet directly. 4 months later they still hadn't paid the bill and denied the claim because they did not have adequate health records for pre-existing conditions. This was not pre-existing, it was an emergency for eating something he wasn't supposed to. So when I called them for the 5th time they simply told me I was out of luck. So I asked to close my account with them and they said they had to put me on a short hold to talk to someone else and I ended up on hold for 45 minutes waiting to close my account. HORRIBLE COMPANY. DO NOT TRUST YOUR PETS WITH THEM.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am very suspicious of the poor ratings source on this site. I have had Petplan for 8 years - over the life of my standard poodle, and currently for my 2 doodles. Through the claims process, I have never had anything but prompt and fair payment, exactly up to the terms of the policies. My Sam has just had extensive workup and surgery for copper-metabolism disorder of his liver. Claims of more than $4300 were paid as per my 80/20 schedule with a $500 deductible. I am an actual Petplan client, with real-life experience with their claims process!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have had this insurance for 9 years and even though my dog does not get sick often they continue to raise the monthly payment. If for some reason that they feel that your dog is not healthy (their opinion based on claims) they will automatically change your annual deductible per incident. I was at one time with a annual deductible no matter the incident and because there was claims they felt that my dog was in poor health. I beg to differ. It is just their way of making more money off you.

As your dog gets older and based on the claims that you put in they have the right to take you off a plan that you agreed on and put you on a plan where you pay more out of pocket. I have two dogs on VPI (12 years) and I don't have any problems like I have with PETPLAN. I pay less and I still claim 80% of my money back. They are pretty reasonable and they don't change your plan on you simply because you have had claims before. This is the last time I will be using Petplan and I highly recommend that if you are looking for a pet insurance, this is not one to get.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

At first looked great and within my price range to help my 3 kitties. But you have to get a check up within 30 days of inception which I did. Now because the vet could schedule within a week from January 1st, 2019. I took them in and NOW because a issue of a mass found on my youngest, Petplan has in their divine arrogant wisdom HAS CONDEMNED MY kitty to DEATH, by denying a pre-authorization claim stating that the mass was pre-existing. My kitties get their annual shots and checkup every January and have not been ill to take to the vet for a year and now this shows up at the checkup, but Petplan will not cover. To me this company is treating my animals like a home warranty and uses any kind of tactic to get out of paying anything so they can keep our money.

Whatever any of you do, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL KILL YOUR ANIMAL... Please read all the other reviews that state almost the exact same thing with denials of claims... If more info is required I have kept the email from them stating all this extra fine print they are using to deny the claim, WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP. Also now they will not stop the auto pays after 30 days so have to cancel card to stop them...

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I paid for 5 months and needed to file a claim. I was then told it would not be covered since I failed to have an initial wellness visit 60 days prior or 30 days within the effective date. They consider it pre existing. Now I face a $900 surgery out of my own pocket. The policy also stipulates that failure to obtain an initial exam may void the policy and a refund of the policy premium will be given. Of course they will not honor that part. They say it will be prorated. That is not what the guidelines in the policy state.

I wish I had read these reviews before I purchased a policy with Petplan. It looks like this is a common theme with this company and seems like unfair business practices. Seems as if it is set up to scam people out of their money. I have had many conversations and emails back and forth and told that there is no one higher to contact. I am only able to speak with rude customer service agents. It is not a surprise that this company has only received 2.5 stars out of 5. Unfair business practices are what Petplan is all about. Look elsewhere for pet insurance. I’ve acquired new insurance with a lower deductible and a higher yearly cap with another company for only $4 more a month than I was charged with Petplan.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I've had Petplan for my puppy for about 3-4 months. Before acquiring the insurance my puppy had a simple ear infection in her left ear. 2-3 months after my plan started my puppy got another ear infection, but on her right ear this time. Petplan refused to cover the expenses with the argument that even though the infection is in the other ear, it is the same condition. They told me that my dog has to not have an ear infection for more than 12 months in order for then to cover this condition. I really think that should have covered my claims, especially since the infection was in the other ear. I am very disappointed with Petplan and I am thinking of discontinuing my plan.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan pet insurance is a total rip off. They will never pay a claim by either calling your claim a pre-existing condition or you will never exceed your deductible. Petplan will separate each procedure of your pet's claim into separate items with each having their own $300 deductible. If your pet has to have blood work, anesthesia, and dental work done during one vet visit each cost will have separate deductibles. So your $700 vet bill will have a $900 deductible. Provided that none of these treatments were for a pre-existing condition which won't be paid at all. Nice huh? This merry go round of breaking down procedures will happen with each claim you make and your claims will never be added together. Like each time your pet has blood work done in a year each will have a separate deductible because Petplan will say they were for a different condition or treatment. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was fortunate enough to have Sarah ** take my call and she was AMAZING! She TRULY went above and beyond to help me with a situation that I had previously gotten the "run around" on! I only wish all customer service agents everywhere were as WONDERFUL as Sarah!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This company only exist to take your money. Each year your cost increase and benefits decrease. I know your pets get older, but instead of counting on the money you have paid all the years. Plan on the insurance costing you so much that it makes no sense. Save your money and find good coverage elsewhere. No matter what they quote when you start it is just to hook you. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My little Frenchie, Fiona was so sick twice in one month, and Petplan Pet Insurance - North America pulled through for us to help cover her medical expenses. We have had 3 dogs on Petplan and they have never let us down. It is a great investment for your dog and security for those unexpected incidents that can really hit your pocket when your pet is ill.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Beware Petplan Insurance! This company changes underwriters in 2017 and now rejects ALL claims! They will find any fine print to reject your claim and make you fight tooth and nail to prove your claim all while your pet could be hanging onto life. They are now nothing more than a scam. Do your homework and read the Yelp reviews!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS INSURANCE COMPANY! The underwriters changed in 2017 and now they reject claims that had been covered in the past. They find ways they can reject every one of your claims and not actually cover your vet bills. Rates have doubled and customer service tells you the claims should be covered and then they are not!! I pay almost $1850 a year in premiums and this company is not covering any of my claims that they did before. Saying everything claims falls under a new diagnosis so I am stuck paying a deductible on each new diagnosis (they say) and it's criminal!!!

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky