Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Petplan Pet Insurance covers costs associated with accidents, illnesses or curable preexisting conditions for dogs and cats. Customers can customize deductibles, reimbursement percentages and annual limitations. The company gives free online quotes, and pet owners can get discounts for multiple pets or service animals.

BOTTOM LINE

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

PROS

• Covers older pets
    • Covers curable preexisting conditions
    • In-network visits not required

CONS

• Coverage limitations

Top Petplan Reviews

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia. ... They even pay for ongoing medications and holistic treatment.

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
        • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
        • Cancer treatments
        • Nonroutine dental treatments
        • Surgery and rehabilitation
        • Holistic therapies
        • Exam fees
        • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
        • Dental cleanings
        • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
        • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
        • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
        • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
        Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
        Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
        No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
        Does Petplan cover medication?
        Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
        Does Petplan cover neutering?
        Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

While I could write what would amount to a War and Peace Novel I'll stick to the Readers Digest Version for the sake of simplicity. I have been a pet owner the majority of my life (read a senior citizen) and I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds by way of joint issues, ligament issues, cancer or any other of a host of health issues. Thru all of them PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

Claim filing is easy, payment fast, and their customer service reps knowledgeable, helpful, and always willing to take as much time as needed to answer questions or resolve open issues. Recently Sarah helped me close out a claim and it was a pleasure dealing with her. Prior to joining PetPlan I had coverage under 2 different Pet Insurance companies, and my experiences with both was less than even mediocre. PetPlan was recommended by a trusted vet and after thoroughly researching them I switched and have never looked back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

How much are you willing to spend to make sure your four-legged baby is healthy, happy, and safe? I'm glad I don't know the answer - because it's probably everything in my savings account, all my credit cards, and my right arm. I still have both arms and no debt thanks to Petplan's coverage of my beloved puppy. Brody, less than two years old, is suffering from a serious muscular condition that has caused him intense pain, exhaustion, and muscle-atrophy all over his body. He is the happiest dog on earth, and it has been awful to watch. Unfortunately, he did not respond well to the usual treatment options and after almost two months of trying different things, we eventually ended up in the emergency room.

After a couple days in the hospital and a neurological consultation, Brody is on a revised "get healthy" plan and improving slowly each day. Between the vet visits, the recurring bloodwork, the prescriptions, anesthesia for exams (too painful to do without), a cancelled vacation due to emergency treatment needs, emergency room bills, and everything else that may be coming our way, we were (and are) looking at thousands of dollars in care. PetPlan has been there since Day One.

When Brody first received a diagnosis, I called Petplan to make sure I understood where we were headed financially. The first thing the person asked me was, "How are you and Brody holding up?" That's how all my interactions with Petplan have gone - they ask first about our well-being, then answer any questions openly, honestly, and quickly (I've never waited to speak to a real person).

The most recent time I spoke with a Petplan representative, I called in a panic because the bill for Brody's emergency room visit and subsequent hospital stay was a big burden and the hospital refused to work with Petplan for payment directly (they required it upfront). The person I spoke to at Petplan - once again, asked how Brody was doing - and then assured me that she understood the issue completely and would do everything she could to get the claims expedited. They were approved and a check was in the mail within 48 hours of that conversation.

I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Petplan, and I hope this story encourages you that it's the right option. I know other doggie-parents who have had very different situations, and I am so glad that Petplan has never asked me to choose between Brody's well-being (or even his life) and my financial stability.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I can't say enough good about Petplan insurance. I have had Petplan for three of my dogs. They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever and treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and they just paid for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia. Having Petplan has given me such peace of mind knowing that I can seek out the best medical care and treatment for my dogs without worrying that I will have to go into debt. They even pay for ongoing medications and for holistic treatment. The claim process is extremely simple and reimbursement is fast. I highly recommend Petplan and will not have a pet without it being insured by Petplan.

Original review: June 25, 2019

When our Dover was diagnosed with liver problems, it was devastating as he was only 3 years old. Petplan stepped up to the plate and has been there for us emotionally as well as financially as we knew we could do treatment for him. Once our deductible was met, they have been efficient in responding to our statements sent. It is almost 6 months later and he is doing well on his medications and is a happy 4 year old lab. Our daughter also has Petplan for her wonderful dog, and we will always look to this company for their continued support. THANK YOU Petplan! You are the best!!!! I will always refer people to you as you continue to be there for our furry friends.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have been using Petplan for years, previously for both of my pugs and kitty and now I have two new dogs that are both covered and I just adopted a stray cat who will also be getting a policy. PP's process is simple, they don't haggle about your vet's charges and they pay with tremendous speed. The app makes making claims so easy. I would have hard time paying for the big ticket items for my pets and I never want to feel that pressure of charging a pet's treatment b/c I don't have the money as I have in the past. Always did it anyway but then was saddled with extra bills. I highly recommend Petplan. s

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: March 29, 2020

The good thing about PetPlan is that their coverage includes examination fees, which most pet insurance companies don't cover. But everything else - not great. Every time I submit a claim, they point at something in the past that has nothing to do with the current claim, and decline. One time, my dog had infection on his paw and the vet noted on the medical record "possible allergy reaction" to something on the ground when we went on hiking. PetPlan declined this claim stating "pre-existing condition".

When I called them to appeal, they gave me the past dates on the medical record that had the word "allergy". But those visitations to the vet had nothing to do with his paw or infection or allergic reaction to some foreign object on the hiking course. They were just totally different occasions for totally different conditions. I had to have our vet write the letter for us explaining what happened to all those past exams in order to prove that the current condition was not pre-existing. Ridiculous. They keep doing the same thing to every single claim I submit unless it's an injury or the condition is very new. Do not become a member with PetPlan. Look elsewhere.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Be forewarned, this company will do or say anything to get out of paying claims. I have been with them for years, have paid several thousands of dollars in premiums, with very little payout and every single claim I have filed they tried to get out of paying or somehow only ended up paying a small amount. I find them to be very dishonest, and after reading several other reviews on here, I see that others have had the same experience. Very sad. This company should be under investigation.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Trust me, do not use them. Terrible experience with the claim department. My dog is 8 years old and has had insurance for at least 7 years. Gopetplan are super good with new policies and collecting your money and then when you need them for the claims, they go to the tiny fine print. They are saying that there was no baseline exam and that he had pancreatitis for months before I took him into the vet. A dog with pancreatitis that is not taken care of will die in days. This is ridiculous. Because of pancreatitis, we found out that he had bladder stones and we did a preventive and proactive surgery and now they say that it's not covered.

I have referred GoPetPlan to so many friends and family. Please do not use them, trust me, look for other companies and make sure you read the fine print. Their customer service for new policies is awesome, but once you go into claims they are terrible. Zero empathy and non-sense fine print. They are liars and not sure how they are ethical about playing with people's dogs/claims. Contact me if you have any questions. I can show you the vet records for the dog for years so that you can see that I am not making anything up. Please do not use them.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Bought this through AARP for all three dogs. In one week I had to take two of them to the vet for stitches. Petplan made me send 2 full years medical records for each dog. Their site couldn't handle the upload so had to email it several times because they kept losing them. Then I find out that the first appointment no matter what happens is considered a "baseline" appointment and anything found to be wrong with the dog at that time, is forever excluded. It's in the terms and conditions they provide to you after you sign up. Shame on AARP for backing a rip off like this. Total waste of money!

Original review: March 6, 2020

I have insured my Persians with PetPlan for many years costing me thousands of dollars. When I started they were a good company. No more. If I could give zero stars I would. In the past they have told me that I could submit my claims any time. They changed the rules without sending me a letter stating the new rules. Now they refuse to pay my very late claims which total hundreds of dollars. I have learned a hard lesson. Don’t believe anything they tell because they will find an excuse not to pay your claims. I feel they have lied and cheated me and have considered taking them to court. However it would be throwing more money away. I don’t need the stress. From now one I will self insure and put the money in an interest bearing account.

Petplan Company Information