2.19/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Petplan

Need a pet insurance provider?

109 Petplan Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was nearing the end pretty tough overseas work trip when my friend who was dog-sitting my pet Barkley texted me saying he was at the Vet/ER because Barkley broke his leg. I called the vet immediately and was told it was a bad break, definitely required surgery and it had to happen ASAP. I honestly thought he might lose his leg. The doctor was upfront and told me this could cost as much as 6k. When I said I had pet insurance she was relieved for me and Barkley and said she tells everyone it's a must have for pet owners. She's right. Barkley is getting the care he needs to recover and Petplan is really coming through.

This was the first claim I filed so I was a little overwhelmed with the process at first but they are very reachable, kind and understanding over the phone and they walked me through every step of the process. Having pet emergencies is undeniably stressful and this was no different but it's nice to know Petplan was there for me and Barkley to make this whole thing a little bit easier. I highly recommend Petplan to owners.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan is a lifesaver! They are a great company to work with and I’m so glad I found them to protect my fur babies. They always respond to inquiries timely and are extremely friendly and helpful. All claims I’ve ever submitted have been reviewed when promised or faster. They’ve always paid what the policy says they will. They don’t try to overreach known conditions to get out of covering other ones. And although when I pay my vet bills the workers always grumble a little when I mention insurance, my vet and hospitals have never expressed any issue working with this company when documentation is needed. It’s very easy to see what will be covered – pick your limit, pick your deductible, pick your co-payment % and done. And their terms and conditions are very easy to read and follow. Anyone considering paying for pet insurance should be getting annual well visits for their pet anyway.

Why pet insurance? Why Petplan? I’ve had two cats and both turned out to have undiagnosed genetic deformities in their internal organs that eventually turned into serious medical conditions. Once the trouble started, diagnosis and treatment cost thousands of dollars. Because of Petplan I never had to say no to any of the recommended treatment because I knew they had my (and my kitty’s) back. They cover hereditary conditions and chronic conditions as long as the condition had not manifested itself and was not detectable when the policy began. And they pay what the vet charges – no fee schedule and no different coverage for regular vets vs. hospitals. Those things distinguish Petplan from other companies offering similar products.

Read the fine print when you compare companies. If you are looking for insurance to cover well visits, then this is not the company for you. However, if you’ve ever had your feline best friend act normal one day and be on death’s door the next, you know how stressful it can be worrying about your pet and how you are going to pay for his or her medical care. And medical care for pets is expensive! Petplan provides great coverage, excellent service and offers very reasonable premiums. If you are looking for an accident and illness policy to cover your cat or dog, I highly recommend Petplan.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Our 10.5 year old dog, whom we've had since a puppy, had a huge tumor removed from his abdomen in late October of 2018. That diagnosis, surgery and follow-up was extremely expensive. When the tumor was found, it was difficult to say whether it was malignant or benign. The alternatives were to let it kill him or remove it and determine if it was malignant or put him down immediately. Without Petplan, that decision would have been much more difficult. But, with our $500 and 10% co-insurance it was a no-brainer. The tumor was removed and unfortunately the biopsy revealed it was a slow growing sarcoma with a high mitotic rate, meaning it would return. However, immediately after the surgery and short recuperation time, our dog was back to being energetic and like a puppy again. He had more energy and was so much happier.

Then we had another decision to make - how do we treat the cancer, if we treat at all. We consulted with an oncologist and was told if we did nothing the tumor would return in about 4 months and we'd be back to where we started prior to the surgery. However, if we treated him with an aggressive chemo regimen we could stall the growth significantly and possibly prevent re-growth for 12-18 months. Thanks to Petplan, this was another easy decision. We opted for the chemo and are enjoying the extra time with our almost 11 year old "puppy." He is having no ill side effects from the treatments. His appetite is amazing and he's more active than he has been in years. He's happy and he looks great.

When all is said and done, the cost of the diagnosis, surgery and cancer treatments is projected to be about $11,900. Petplan's coverage will be about $10,000 and our out of pocket will be approximately $1,900. I should also mention that in 2015 our dog needed Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy for a blown ACL and that cost was around $5,500, of which $4,400 was covered by Petplan.

Yes, we have been paying premiums for over 10 years and yes, the premiums rise dramatically as the dog got older. However, we have accomplished several things - 1) we have taken out the financial factor in the decision making process and 2) we do not have to pay out large lump sums of money at one time. Just the monthly payments and 3) during the term of the policy we will have received benefits that are far in excess of the premiums paid. #3 will not always happen. If it did then Petplan would be out of business. But, that's what insurance is about - reducing your risk of catastrophic payments and giving you peace of mind. In our case, it is also allowing us to spend amazing quality time with our dog and prepare for his inevitable demise while keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you Petplan.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had all of my dogs insured with Petplan for nine years. Due to this fact I am "grandfathered" into the older style policies with per condition deductibles. Since four of my dogs are 13 years old and the youngest one is 10 years old I file many claims. My policies recently renewed and I am tracking claims as I meet the deductible for each condition. I've had issues with one of the dog's claims as he has four chronic conditions and I was getting frustrated until I reached Stacey ** when I called. She was outstanding-- listened to my prior experience calling in, checked on the status of each issue, repeated my concerns back to me to make sure she understood everything and vowed to follow through until they were resolved.

With the exception of one customer service representative I have always been pleased with Petplan. But Stacey went above and beyond-- a true asset to Petplan. I will always have dogs in my life and will always insure them with Petplan. Thank you for allowing me to care for their medical needs regardless of the cost. And thank you Stacey for taking care of my claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had Petplan for over 10 years. They have always paid and were extremely fair and pay back fast. My dog Dixie just passed away from CHF. But because of Petplan I was able to give him the very best care available Not worrying about the cost. They were there for me. Very kind to us as well if I had to call. Never a complaint. Paid his bills. I still have Petplan for my dog Rebel. This is a great Pet Ins Co. I would go nowhere else. They really care. Upon my Dixie's passing they made a donation in his memory to Morris Foundation. A lovely memory for my Dixie. Any time I have put in a claim it was always just what I expected. No cutting here and there. They are 5 stars to me! They are a Godsend to me and my boys. I recommend them highly!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Purchased for our young little dog before a road trip. Waited the required time and took him for a physical. Vet heard a possibility of a heart murmur, so had x-rays and put on medication, he is now doing well. As for Petplan they did not cover anything. All you do is pay $51 a month for a scam. Stay away from this so called company. I spoke to them after being told they dont cover anything, and said cancel this waste of time policy. Lo and behold I now get late payment calls on my phone and they still charged my credit card. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My cat, Cadence, had sudden dental issues that were not caught by any vet until it was so bad she had to get extractions. I was pretty distraught about this as over the course of four months, she went from dental grade 1/4 (mild tartar) to having to have 9 teeth extracted. I spared no expense getting her in and getting these teeth removed. I wasn't in love with idea of suddenly dropping $1,000 but hey your pets are your kids, so you do whatever whenever for them.

I remembered that for around 5 years now I've had Petplan. Okay, finally an opportunity to file a claim. I went through the pre-authorization, didn't receive any point of contact information. Alright, weird, but whatever - if there's no guarantee they're going to pay me, that's fine, still gotta take care of those teeth. Then I took her in, extraction done, healing nicely. I sent the reimbursement paperwork. Okay, they said, we need a year of records. Okay, provided those. No contact after a week.

Another week goes by, still nothing. Reach out to them, they closed my claim saying that she wouldn't be covered for her exam for calicivirus. Uhhh, what? So, I let them know she has calicivirus (I claimed this when I bought the policy) but I wasn't trying to claim on that. "Oh...we didn't get the initial paperwork for the claim you were filing." Weird, A) considering the pre-authorization was received, just not validated and B) that exam was back in 2018. Whatever, probably just a fluke. I work in insurance, it happens.

Attempt 2: have all the vets send the paperwork over. Now they need back to 2015 when I opened the policy. Okay, fine, whatever. I would love to know what they think they can suss out of that. But maybe it's just a protocol thing. WELL, we wont go into how they screwed up attempt 2 (but believe they did), but on try number 3 they got it. But again, no contact no nothing. 2 weeks go by, I check the website. Claim closed, $0 payout. Huh, okay then. I chat with them, they tell me it was closed because back in 09/2015 she had stomatitis and gum inflammation and didn't have a dental cleaning.

Mind you, I sent them the PDFs with all the records. So, I go back feeling like a bad cat dad. Notes: "gingivitis, no tartar, suspect stomatitis". No recommendation from the doctor for a cleaning and suspected it was part of feline herpes/calicivirus - treated her with **. Never again is that mentioned in any of the following records at any point. So, I'm guessing a "claims adjuster" saw this and went "Aha smoking gun, get out of free jail card."

A $400 claim isn't a big deal, but what is a big deal is that I've been a customer this long for two cats without a single claim. $50/month for 5 years. They had to go back to September 2015 to find an erratic piece of information that they thought qualified for 'pre-existing condition.' Submitted a claim to the ODI. I never thought a pet insurance company would be this hard to deal with. But it's a small industry, so they probably use contracted adjusters that are overworked and...not great.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I have an approximately 10-11 year old orange tabby male cat who was infected with heartworm probably when he was out in the wild before I adopted him from the animal shelter when he was approximately 2 years old. Before he got sick, I decided to insure him just in case. Sure enough, within a few years, he developed respiratory distress & was found to be positive for heartworm. We thought he was going to die but his immune system was able to destroy the worms before they became adults. The damage caused by the worms included lungs, significant pancreatitis &, ultimately diabetes. To stabilize him, he needed frequent vet visits & multiple meds. Luckily, by the time he got sick, I already had the policy & what a great policy it was; low premiums, low deductibles, 100% reimbursement. Speaking with them on the phone was a pleasure. They were kind, caring & very helpful.

Not anymore. In one year, my deductibles have jumped from $300 to $750. My reimbursement has decreased from 100% to 90% to 70%. When I called to complain, customer service was rude & arrogant; offered to cancel my policy completely. How very kind & thoughtful of them! I know that they have new underwriters & I recently heard that the original owners sold the company to very second-class owners who are obviously far more interested in just making money, gouging their customers than supporting them in a time of need. This use to be a great company that I highly recommended to anyone who asked; not anymore. They are really terrible!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I utilized Petplan for a year to cover our pet and unknowingly had come upon the renewal period. As with my normal insurance coverage, I assumed I would receive a renewal notification of some sort to advise me of my options. What I did receive was a shock as I reviewed my credit card transactions, and found a pending charge for $470.75, from Petplan USA. They had charged me for the entire year of coverage, without inquiring with me about my desire to renew or if I sought a change in my coverage. This low level of doing business is the type of practice you expect to see from shady subscription-based services, reminiscent of old cell phone video/gaming subscriptions of the mid-2000s.

I contacted Petplan and expressed my concern, upon which I was advised that they automatically renew the coverage on your pets, and although they do offer monthly billing, they charged me for the entire year. I advised the agent that I wanted to cancel my service, as to be expected, she went into a litany of offers and save attempts to convince me to stay with them, to all which I declined.

After finally relenting to my request, the agent advised that the coverage would be ended immediately, but when asked for a confirmation number, she advised me that they did not provide them, but I would show on the online site that my account was no longer open. When I inquired about the charge being reversed, the agent deflected the task on to the bank/card company, stating it would depend on them; although, I know that many companies have the ability to immediately reverse payments that have been posted, especially when it is within the same day of the said charge.

After my call ended with Petplan, I immediately went to the online portal to pull my account information, only to find that, not only did my account show no longer active, it no longer had any account detail whatsoever; no account number, previous policy info, nothing. Petplan had immediately wiped away my account details from viewing, while still seeking payment on my credit card, for services no longer being received. I am now in the process of disputing the charges with my credit card company, as well as a filed BBB complaint.

The quality of customer service Petplan has demonstrated, as well as poor business practices they demonstrated with the manner in which they handle cancellations and account access, is well below that to be expected from a company that is said to be ranked in the top 5 of coverage providers. Apparently, their rankings have nothing to do with anything other than their coverage packages.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Totally horrible! My dog has for the most part being healthy until she was diagnosed possible with Cushing's disease. When the time came to utilized my Petplan policy and get refunded out of over $800.00 -20% deductible dollars; I received less than 180.00. Supposedly, they were taking several deductibles of 350.00 based on different conditions. I am still need to take my dog to the specialist for the same condition but they cannot tell me if they need to keep subtracting more deductibles for the same illness. You need to be aware before you take your pet to the specialist and paid thousands of dollars and expect to get 80% of your money back.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky