2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.85/5

Petplan Pet Insurance providers comprehensive coverage in one simple plan that reimburses costs associated with accidents, injuries and illnesses for dogs and cats - including dental disease and online vet visits. Flexible deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum coverage limits (up to unlimited) allow customers to select a plan that best suits their budget. The company provides free online quotes and around-the-clock customer service to make sure customers can always access help or get coverage.

Petplan Video
Petplan Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

PROS

• Covers older pets
  • Covers curable preexisting conditions
  • In-network visits not required

CONS

• Coverage limitations

Top Petplan Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia. ... They even pay for ongoing medications and holistic treatment.

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
  • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
  • Cancer treatments
  • Nonroutine dental treatments
  • Surgery and rehabilitation
  • Holistic therapies
  • Exam fees
  • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
  • Dental cleanings
  • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
  • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
  • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
  • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
Does Petplan cover medication?
Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
Does Petplan cover neutering?
Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I got a pet insurance because I already know how expensive a dog can be. I have a roommate whose dog is in and out of the vet every other week 'cause he's an older dog. They spend ridiculous amount on the most common things. After shopping around, I got the most bang for my buck with Petplan as far as how much they cover. They included some of the dental stuff. A lot of other pet plans don't include anything dental-related. It also was super affordable. I didn't even realize I've been paying towards that. The recurring payment is 50 bucks every six months. I submitted a claim about 2 weeks ago and it was super simple. Everything was done online. I just submitted the information and the receipt. I haven't gotten any word on that though. I think the reason why I haven't gotten that back is 'cause I do have a deductible. I think I have to reach my deductible before I get reimbursed.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I'm a veterinarian and I was looking into two of the companies that we work with. I chose Petplan over another company because of the type of plan. I also overheard from one of my colleagues at work that he thought this was a good company. Also, their deductible is per year and not per medical condition. My main concern is if my dog needs X-rays or an ultrasound or some consult with a specialist, I don't have to pay out-of-pocket because I know how much that cost. Petplan is an okay plan. It's my first experience myself with pet insurance. Submitting a claim was quite simple because I did it right through the app, and then I sent more stuff over email. It was quite easy to do. So far, I've been pretty happy with the first claim I submitted. Petplan is a good company and by seeing other customers that have it, I think it works pretty well.

Petplan response

Hi Sylvia! Thank you so much for the feedback - it is greatly appreciated! I'm happy to hear the claims process has been simple and easy for you. For future reference, if your dog does need x-rays, an ultrasound, or a consult with a specialist, we are able to pay veterinary clinics directly! This is something you can speak directly with the clinic about.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My vet here referred us to another pet insurance, and when I called them, I wasn't happy with the way they handled everything, so I started looking for another one. I wanted to get pet insurance on our puppy. I'm a member of AARP, and that's where I saw Petplan through. They referred them. I went on the internet and started reading about Petplan. I have a deductible of $300 a year. It's a low deductible. One of the things that I like about Petplan is they let you pick your deductible, and how much the annual that they pay. A lot of the insurances didn't do that. Also, their prices through AARP were really reasonable compared to the one that my vet referred me to.

Having the pet insurance is very valuable because we have a French Bulldog. I had a Boston Terrier, and he developed cancer, and that was very expensive. I waited five years to get another dog and I thought, when I get another dog, I'm gonna get insurance because everything just went up as far as pets. Nothing's cheap anymore, and we're retired and on a fixed income. So, it's very important for us to have insurance on everything.

I filed a couple of claims with Petplan to get my deductible in. I made copies and faxed it in and finally got it. The only thing that I don't like about the experience is they didn't email me anything back saying that they've received it. They have my email. They emailed me the policy, too, with our number. I just feel like after I faxed in, they should've given me some kind of feedback like "Well, we've received your claim of such and such and it was taken off your deductible." That's all they would've had to do, but they didn't.

Petplan is the most reasonable through AARP and also how you can pick what type of deductible works with your type of income and how much you would like for them. Biggie had hurt his eye one time out in our yard, and he had an ulcer on it. That was what I filed with them. We had to take him in and get that seen about and get a lot of medicine for that to cure the ulcer up. It did go away. It was two appointments to take care of that. It was like $250. My deductible's 300. So I thought, "That'll get me, my deductible, almost taken care of for this year."

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

One of the people at my work has Petplan, and so I asked if they liked them. He said, "Yes," so I got them for my puppy. I have another dog and he's had an ACL tear, and that surgery was $4,000. Also, when she was a puppy, she ate a rock and to make her vomit cost 1,000. We had already used five grand in her, so we're not gonna let the same thing happen to a puppy that is a puppy mill rescue when I knew he was severely malnourished. I just didn't wanna have any problems. He was a rescue and I didn't have him as a puppy, so I don't know his background. He's just 35 pounds at eight months. For a German Shepherd, that's ridiculous.

My experience with Petplan has been always good. I had an emergency once this year and that got me to my $300 deductible. Everything else has been at the 80%, which is great. They don't pay for his rabies stuff, but I submitted anyway so that they have it on record that it's been done. He's had allergies and I'm hoping they're just seasonal. So I do the injection, and I submit my stuff and they always do it pretty timely. For me, having the pet insurance has been the best thing I could've probably done for him. I love Petplan and I would recommend them.

Petplan response

Hi Rhiannon! Thank you so much for the feedback! I am so happy you are part of the Petplan family!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My husband and I have been using the Petplan insurance for all of our animals since May of 2019. We originally went to pet plan because we knew one of our cats already had some medical issues (that we knew w would not be covered under the insurance policy) but wanted to make sure there was coverage in case anything else showed up. The other cat we had at the time was completely healthy but we figure we would get her on a plan as well just to be on the safe side.

Well hindsight is such an amazing gift because unfortunately our more healthier cat ended up going downhill very quickly within the last half of the year and unfortunately succumb to her undiagnosed cancer. Leading up to her death it was such a relief to know that pet plan constantly had our back and that anytime we needed to take her to the emergency room for vomiting or not eating, the only thing we had to worry about was just getting her help and not worrying about the bills. We've been very satisfied with this company and we have now put two new cats on this plan to ensure that any costs that come with owning a pet are taken care of.

Petplan response

Thank you so much, Megan! The Petplan family sends our condolences on the passing of your kitty.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Submitting a claim to Petplan was easy in terms of just having to upload the documents to the website. When they need extra vet's notes and I wasn't able to get it, I call them and ask them to call the vet themselves. It was straightforward. They are easy to use and they have an app that makes it better. A lot of vets also think Petplan is the best.

Petplan response

Hi Akshubhitha, thank you so much for your feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I have a new pet that I needed to insure. I went with Petplan. It has a good rate.

Petplan response

Hi Maby! Thank you so much for the feedback and welcome to the Petplan family!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I heard good reviews about Petplan, but when I filed a claim to try to cover some exams, I have not gotten any good luck. It's a simple claim and I submitted everything that they requested. The process is difficult to where they request many documents, like technician's exams. I have a Weimaraner and to be on the safe side, I purchased a pet insurance plan. As of now though, it hasn't made any difference. I didn't get the claim resolved yet, so I'm not sure if I'm still gonna keep it.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

It's very valuable to have pet insurance. My dog was having problems. I had Healthy Paws before and I didn't realize it expired, so I looked for another plan. I went with Petplan for their price and so far, so good. It was easy to file a claim.

Petplan response

Hi Sonia! Thank you so much for the feedback, and welcome to the Petplan family!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

My dog had an expensive knee surgery and they said that she might need another one at some point, so I looked into getting her a pet insurance. I Googled pet insurance and looked through a couple different options. Petplan seemed the most cost-effective and easiest to use through my research, so I went with that. I like it quite a bit, so far. I did a claim for a vet visit and the process was really easy. I used the app on my phone and sent the invoices. I hadn't met my premium yet, so once I paid off the premium, then they would cover the rest from that invoice. It worked out great.

Petplan response

Hi Avery! Thank you so much for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated! I'm glad the claims process has been easy for you.

Petplan Company Information