2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.93/5

Petplan Pet Insurance providers comprehensive coverage in one simple plan that reimburses costs associated with accidents, injuries and illnesses for dogs and cats - including dental disease and online vet visits. Flexible deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum coverage limits (up to unlimited) allow customers to select a plan that best suits their budget. The company provides free online quotes and around-the-clock customer service to make sure customers can always access help or get coverage.

Petplan Video
Petplan Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

PROS

• Covers older pets
  • Covers curable preexisting conditions
  • In-network visits not required

CONS

• Coverage limitations

Top Petplan Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia...They even pay for ongoing medications and holistic treatment.

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
  • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
  • Cancer treatments
  • Nonroutine dental treatments
  • Surgery and rehabilitation
  • Holistic therapies
  • Exam fees
  • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
  • Dental cleanings
  • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
  • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
  • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
  • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
Does Petplan cover medication?
Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
Does Petplan cover neutering?
Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I needed to use Petplan for my dog and it was my first experience. So when you go at it for the first time, you don’t know how to do it and handle it. So it's an all-new experience for me. It wasn't that enjoyable, mostly because I was learning. The first thing that I did was try and use the Petplan app to download my documents. The app was difficult to use a little bit. It was hard getting the documents over and when I called the claim center and asked if they received my documents, they said they didn’t. I tried to do it again but I couldn't submit the documents that way. So I had to call my vet and have him submit the documents to Petplan directly. Then, my vet was giving me a little bit of flack. They sent some documents but didn't send all the documents that were for my dog's complete medical history.

Petplan sent me a letter that said that my dog wasn’t covered because he didn't get this initial doctor's visit and then, they canceled my claim. I had to call Petplan again and reopen the claim, and then go back over to my vet. I made sure that the vet sent all the documents that Petplan needed. Petplan got all their documents and they apologized for canceling the claim on me. They expedited the claim and took care of everything extra fast. I got my check right away. They screwed me over a little bit at first and then made up for it at the end. So, I'm definitely not dissatisfied at all.

The only thing that I would gripe about Petplan is that they canceled the claim. It was quite a chunk of money out of my savings account and me being unemployed with the COVID, with that money missing out of my account and then Petplan saying the claim was denied, you have no idea about the panic that set in. The Petplan claims department should reach out to the pet owners and say that they didn't receive the documents, and that they were gonna cancel the claim in a day or two if the pet owner can't provide them instead of just canceling the claim on somebody and not calling and saying anything at all.

Hi Al,

Thank you so much for the feedback and for your recommendations. We value our policyholder's opinions and are always open to hearing how you think we can improve our processes. This information is very helpful and will be useful when we are making enhancements in the future. I apologize for the mistake made on our end of canceling your claim but I am happy to hear that it was able to be resolved quickly and efficiently. Your first claim often takes the most amount of time to process since we need your pet's complete medical history so for future claims we will not need as many documents from your vet.

I hope your pup is doing well!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I haven’t been happy with Petplan but I’m feeling better because they finally started expediting the claims, even the one I submitted a couple of days ago. I was calling almost every day about two weeks ago and I had to resubmit paperwork. Alyssa, the customer service rep, told me to try not to send it in email if I could because she was sending me links to put updated information in and all the records. But that didn’t get posted. On the 1st of December, Misty, my dog, had a visit to my normal vet and it was supposed to just be about one thing, but we came out of that visit with an invoice that had three separate claims on it. Because of COVID and everything, my normal vet has only been seeing the dogs for emergencies. So, she missed her testing for valley fever, which we do every six months. So, we did it at that time.

I submitted the claim via email. It took forever and it was barely paid out. I was calling every day and all I ever heard was that they didn’t have the invoice. Then somehow, when they migrated paperwork over, an inhaler from October got put on Misty’s claim. That was when I talked to Don and he said that he didn’t understand why I had that invoice in there. It was for 400-something and I said that it was one invoice for 900-something. Everything got straightened out but there are still complications with their website.

I have three dogs and yesterday, I got an email explaining that I had renewal letters for Misty and Simba. It said to go on the app and go into documents and I can see my renewal letter. My renewal letter was nowhere in there. I went into the app on the computer instead of the phone and there was a whole different way. Before, when you had open claims, there was a link underneath in the old system for all your paperwork. It took a little bit to figure out where that renewal letter should be and it wasn't there. I called this morning and I talked to Anna. She said that they were still using the old system, but some information is in the new system and not in the old system. So, she asked me to bear with her.

All of Petplan’s representatives were outstanding and for the most part, they were competent. They were dealing with a bad situation that they still have. I try to be the nicest customer around and I don’t call and ask them to expedite unless it’s almost $12,000, like Secret's claims were between the 18th of December to the 23rd of December. I maxed out three credit cards that I always had at zero in case I had an emergency like this. Then Misty had her emergency. I didn't know if I could pay for the surgery until these claims come in and that's the biggest issue for me. I don't care what hoop I have to jump through but I need that money. I can't have that money 30 days from now and I shouldn't have to call them every single day to resubmit a form that I already resubmitted. I resubmitted the invoice for Misty nine times.

I will allow for the glitches like that. It was a bad time. It was Christmas and New Year's. So, I give them that. But as customers, we want the money. The majority of us are not trying to fraud or cheat them. I try to be very detailed when it comes to my claim and my vet normally sends the invoices. That way, I'm completely out of it. My vet sends the records and the invoices to Petplan and they go from there. They’ve got customers on the other end of the phone who are going through some emotional garbage and that's what I went through with Secret. They were kind but they didn't fix it.

Secret is a rescue and I got her in 2016, but I didn't insure her until she was spayed. I got the insurance for her in 2017 but until now, she didn't have any pre-existing condition. Misty and Simba got pre-existing so I'm stuck. I can't move them because I'll never get them insured for their pre-existing. In the case of Misty, I had two separate claims. They were at the same specialty center but two separate specialists. Those things are $150 just to talk to the specialist even on the phone, because with COVID, I just get a phone consult. They take her in but I don't get to see what they're doing. I don't know what they've done unless they tell me what they've done. So that's $300 that I would not be able to claim if I did any other insurance.

There are other ways that they compete and other things that they offer. I like the difference in the plans. I researched the top five pet insurances and this is kudos to Petplan because they are listed as top three, and I've always loved them since 2009. Out of the top five, they are the only ones that give the visit amount back. Anna told me to give them a week or two and call back to get an estimate because their system right now does not allow to give the estimate on my renewal. And Simba's renewal is right now because I have unlimited cap.

When I started these insurance policies in 2009, they have a cap of 8,000 but it has changed. They even have a $20,000 and a $25,000 one now. I wanted to see what the quotes would be, if the deductibles were different and if the cap was different. I didn’t claim anything on Simba this year. Last year, his was like 2,200 for the premium for the whole year. And now, it's $4,461.13. I get it that he's old. I expected it to go up a couple of hundred. I expected Misty's to go up because Misty has claims every year. And Misty's only went up maybe 600.

Simba was a puppy that gets into everything and after a year and a half with the insurance, he started getting into everything, and then he got cancer in 2016. He's recovered but after that, it's just been every year or two, he has to go get a stye removed on his eyelid. But other than that, he's doing fine. But the premium was a big chunk of change. I work to afford this insurance and right now, if I pay both of these, if I don't change them, we're talking about $7,600 through the course of a year, which is a big amount. I don't mind paying that but I don't understand why it went up. Petplan has new customers and the price point is important to them. So I would look at that. Petplan has a new carrier. I knew it since 2017 as my prices progressively went up and not even just 50. Last year, Secret's was 500-something. This year, it's 800-something and that's with a $300-something credit.

I was researching other companies and I stuck with Petplan with Secret. Five feet of her small intestines was removed so she's probably gonna have conditions later on because of that. So I'm stuck with her too but I'd rather be stuck with Petplan than some of the others. Another good thing about them is that they cover everything, other than wellness. I've met so many people in vet offices through the years that their insurance didn't cover hereditary and everything was hereditary. Even in a mixed breed, their insurance companies would come back and say everything was hereditary. Petplan doesn't differentiate. The biggest thing for me is to have everything covered. I don't want to sit here fussing. I have Petplan because I don't want to sit there and wonder if they are going to cover the $900 ultrasound and the two sets of X-rays when I took my dog in and I thought she was gonna die.

Hi Teresa,

I completely understand your frustration and thank you for bearing with us through these updates. To give you some context, we did deploy multiple system updates throughout December and January. Unforantley we did experience some errors after these updates took place. We are constantly monitoring our systems so we are aware of these issues and have deployed fixes for them.

As for policy premium renewals, we do not increase your premium due to your claims from the previous year. Historically, as your pet ages, premiums do rise to reflect the added risk for injury and illness.

I was able to look into your account and it looks as though all of your claims for both Mysti and Secret have been assessed and completed from the end of 2020 through 20201. We sincerely value all of your feedback and thank you for being a loyal member of the Petplan family for so many years. Your patience during this time is also very much appreciated as we work on improving our processes for our policyholders!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

We have three dogs and two cats. We did research on the websites, then talked to our vets. We got Petplan, and filing a claim was fairly simple. I called them to verify that we're doing it properly, and then sent it in online. They've been very responsive, but it seems like it’s expensive. The only major expense we've had with one of the pets was before we had insurance. I've been tracking everything as far as the pets from the day that we got them. I haven't looked at it, but in terms of what they pay, I'm not too hot on insurance.

We pay a lot of money for life insurance, health insurance, car insurance, fire insurance, and in a certain point in time, the life policy runs out. Then when you try to file a claim, you find out something's not covered. Years ago, I read Consumer Reports’ suggestion on life insurance. They said they would recommend that you put aside so many dollars every month into a savings account, and then just save it up and then not pay insurance, because you'll end up with more money at the end. Which turned out to be true in terms of life insurance.

Other than that, they seem to be very up with it, and are on top of things, and are processing things. They handle it very professionally. My only complaint is that the submittal information process. They want copies of final billing from the vet, final billing from where they get groomed, the final billing if they have any flea treatment or things like that, and the only thing that’s covered is major medical.

Petplan response

Hi Frederick! Thank you so much for the feedback. We really appreciate you sharing your experience and hearing your thoughts on how we can better improve for our policyholders. I hope all of your pets are doing well!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I'm a veterinarian and I was looking into two of the companies that we work with. I chose Petplan over another company because of the type of plan. I also overheard from one of my colleagues at work that he thought this was a good company. Also, their deductible is per year and not per medical condition. My main concern is if my dog needs X-rays or an ultrasound or some consult with a specialist, I don't have to pay out-of-pocket because I know how much that cost. Petplan is an okay plan. It's my first experience myself with pet insurance. Submitting a claim was quite simple because I did it right through the app, and then I sent more stuff over email. It was quite easy to do. So far, I've been pretty happy with the first claim I submitted. Petplan is a good company and by seeing other customers that have it, I think it works pretty well.

Petplan response

Hi Sylvia! Thank you so much for the feedback - it is greatly appreciated! I'm happy to hear the claims process has been simple and easy for you. For future reference, if your dog does need x-rays, an ultrasound, or a consult with a specialist, we are able to pay veterinary clinics directly! This is something you can speak directly with the clinic about.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My vet here referred us to another pet insurance, and when I called them, I wasn't happy with the way they handled everything, so I started looking for another one. I wanted to get pet insurance on our puppy. I'm a member of AARP, and that's where I saw Petplan through. They referred them. I went on the internet and started reading about Petplan. I have a deductible of $300 a year. It's a low deductible. One of the things that I like about Petplan is they let you pick your deductible, and how much the annual that they pay. A lot of the insurances didn't do that. Also, their prices through AARP were really reasonable compared to the one that my vet referred me to.

Having the pet insurance is very valuable because we have a French Bulldog. I had a Boston Terrier, and he developed cancer, and that was very expensive. I waited five years to get another dog and I thought, when I get another dog, I'm gonna get insurance because everything just went up as far as pets. Nothing's cheap anymore, and we're retired and on a fixed income. So, it's very important for us to have insurance on everything.

I filed a couple of claims with Petplan to get my deductible in. I made copies and faxed it in and finally got it. The only thing that I don't like about the experience is they didn't email me anything back saying that they've received it. They have my email. They emailed me the policy, too, with our number. I just feel like after I faxed in, they should've given me some kind of feedback like "Well, we've received your claim of such and such and it was taken off your deductible." That's all they would've had to do, but they didn't.

Petplan is the most reasonable through AARP and also how you can pick what type of deductible works with your type of income and how much you would like for them. Biggie had hurt his eye one time out in our yard, and he had an ulcer on it. That was what I filed with them. We had to take him in and get that seen about and get a lot of medicine for that to cure the ulcer up. It did go away. It was two appointments to take care of that. It was like $250. My deductible's 300. So I thought, "That'll get me, my deductible, almost taken care of for this year."

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 3, 2021

I did a lot of research before buying this. My understanding of what PetPlan offered was partial coverage for general appointments. Unsure if it's due to the area I live in, but I could not use my insurance info at the vet, instead I had to submit online for possible reimbursement, although PetPlan claimed I could use their insurance information directly at the vet at the time of appointment. I submitted a claim online, then was told by PetPlan this appointment was not covered.

After this fiasco, I chose to cancel my plan, but had to call, as you cannot do it on your online account. The rep was condescending, kept calling me the wrong name, and insisted they are transparent. I spent money on 4 months of coverage before my first claim was denied. I asked for a full refund, as I see what I did as a waste of money, but was told no deal by PetPlan. Ultimately I think the language used on their site is misleading, and I'd say they are more opaque than transparent. Typical insurance scam, you'd do better setting aside emergency funds than paying for a whole lot of nothing.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 30, 2021

I have had Petplan for two years now, and at first it was fine because I never really had to make a claim before. Recently, my dog had an issue with his back leg and needed constant vet visits to diagnose the issue. Throughout the whole experience, Petplan was pretty decent with the time it took to get the claims processed. Unfortunately though, their employees constantly mislead you and give you false information. I had an issue with billing, so I called and they told me their payment system was updated so they just needed to do it manually that month and that everything was fine and my account was up to date. When my automatic payment did not come out this month either, I decided to use the chat feature on their website. The person I spoke to told me that I owed over $130 to them due to late payments and fees.

My payments have always come out on time, minus when they updated their payment system which is quite literally an issue on their end and not mine, especially after the agent I spoke to told me my account was all set and up to date. From the time I called and they told me about the system update, to now, I have been in constant communication with Petplan employees due to my dog's vet visits and constant claims and not ONE of them told me anything about my account. It's incredibly frustrating. Nothing shows on the app, not one employee told me, and my bank account shows on time monthly payments since the day I got it for my dog. They seriously need to have better customer service, and fix their billing issues.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 25, 2021

I have been with Petplan for almost 7 years and have 3 fur babies insured with them. They were amazing until the company changed over to a different underwriter. I was shocked when I logged on to my bank account in January to see that 2 of my fur babies premiums had gone up $40 per dog per month without notice. This was their renewal date! When I called I was on hold for over 30 minutes and when I did finally get to speak to a representative and asked why the premium went up almost 40% she said, "Oh I don't know maybe their age"... I said, "are you asking me or is that your guess?" She said she really didn't know! HUH? I said well that is a lot of money to go up and I have 3 fur babies under Petplan and wasn't sure I could continue with the high cost hoping she would offer to help me...crickets! I said well ok I will have to think about it and she hung up. WORST customer service ever!

I just went on to my bank account to find out that I had a payment taken out for $98.26 on March 16th for one and $91.90 on March 17th which was originally $58.60 and $51.65 back in December. There is another payment on hold now for $183.80 which I will be going to my bank first thing in the morning to dispute. I tried calling Petplan but they have cut their hours, no more 24 hour live chats!!! More money and less customer service. I left an email and asked them to fix this immediately. I will update when I hear from them! My 3rd fur baby is up for renewal next month and I am scared to see how much her premium will go up. I have had a couple of claims with one of my fur babies and luckily Petplan was very helpful but with all of these new changes, premiums going through the roof, poor customer service, I'm thinking of cancelling after reading so many people getting the same horrible customer service.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 20, 2021

First, I had two dogs insured since they were puppies. Very reasonable rates when they were young. When my one dog turned 12 they raised my monthly rate to 190.00 per MONTH for the one dog! Then, when I found another insurance provider, they make it very difficult to cancel the policy. I tried to cancel in Feb (after two phone calls and lots of time wasted). I finally spoke with someone who had the authority to cancel and prorate my account.... or so I thought.

In March they took out the full amount after I told them to cancel and no prorate. I called again and was told someone would contact me. Waited. Called back again on a Saturday and the “manager” could not help me. So far I have spent about 90 minutes of my time on the phone and 4 calls to cancel and they keep putting me off or tell me to call back again and it is still not cancelled. This company is a joke. Just note: If they give you a rate or quote in the beginning think about when your pet gets older and older if you can afford double or triple what you are quoted (with no notice).

Original review: March 8, 2021

I had to call 4 times to try to get my email address corrected. They used the email address as an excuse for not processing my one and only claim. Every time I contacted them I was on hold forever. Also I was on auto pay and then suddenly that stopped with no notice so my account was delinquent. I just got fed up with the poor quality of service.

Hi Terrie,

Thank you so much for bringing this issue to my attention. I sincerely apologize for the frustration and inconvenience this has caused, this is definitely not the level of service we want to provide to our policyholders.

Petplan Company Information