2.55/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

68 Petplan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan pet insurance is a total rip off. They will never pay a claim by either calling your claim a pre-existing condition or you will never exceed your deductible. Petplan will separate each procedure of your pet's claim into separate items with each having their own $300 deductible. If your pet has to have blood work, anesthesia, and dental work done during one vet visit each cost will have separate deductibles. So your $700 vet bill will have a $900 deductible. Provided that none of these treatments were for a pre-existing condition which won't be paid at all. Nice huh? This merry go round of breaking down procedures will happen with each claim you make and your claims will never be added together. Like each time your pet has blood work done in a year each will have a separate deductible because Petplan will say they were for a different condition or treatment. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan is a lifesaver! They are a great company to work with and I’m so glad I found them to protect my fur babies. They always respond to inquiries timely and are extremely friendly and helpful. All claims I’ve ever submitted have been reviewed when promised or faster. They’ve always paid what the policy says they will. They don’t try to overreach known conditions to get out of covering other ones. And although when I pay my vet bills the workers always grumble a little when I mention insurance, my vet and hospitals have never expressed any issue working with this company when documentation is needed. It’s very easy to see what will be covered – pick your limit, pick your deductible, pick your co-payment % and done. And their terms and conditions are very easy to read and follow. Anyone considering paying for pet insurance should be getting annual well visits for their pet anyway.

Why pet insurance? Why Petplan? I’ve had two cats and both turned out to have undiagnosed genetic deformities in their internal organs that eventually turned into serious medical conditions. Once the trouble started, diagnosis and treatment cost thousands of dollars. Because of Petplan I never had to say no to any of the recommended treatment because I knew they had my (and my kitty’s) back. They cover hereditary conditions and chronic conditions as long as the condition had not manifested itself and was not detectable when the policy began. And they pay what the vet charges – no fee schedule and no different coverage for regular vets vs. hospitals. Those things distinguish Petplan from other companies offering similar products.

Read the fine print when you compare companies. If you are looking for insurance to cover well visits, then this is not the company for you. However, if you’ve ever had your feline best friend act normal one day and be on death’s door the next, you know how stressful it can be worrying about your pet and how you are going to pay for his or her medical care. And medical care for pets is expensive! Petplan provides great coverage, excellent service and offers very reasonable premiums. If you are looking for an accident and illness policy to cover your cat or dog, I highly recommend Petplan.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I was fortunate enough to have Sarah ** take my call and she was AMAZING! She TRULY went above and beyond to help me with a situation that I had previously gotten the "run around" on! I only wish all customer service agents everywhere were as WONDERFUL as Sarah!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

This company only exist to take your money. Each year your cost increase and benefits decrease. I know your pets get older, but instead of counting on the money you have paid all the years. Plan on the insurance costing you so much that it makes no sense. Save your money and find good coverage elsewhere. No matter what they quote when you start it is just to hook you. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My little Frenchie, Fiona was so sick twice in one month, and Petplan Pet Insurance - North America pulled through for us to help cover her medical expenses. We have had 3 dogs on Petplan and they have never let us down. It is a great investment for your dog and security for those unexpected incidents that can really hit your pocket when your pet is ill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Beware Petplan Insurance! This company changes underwriters in 2017 and now rejects ALL claims! They will find any fine print to reject your claim and make you fight tooth and nail to prove your claim all while your pet could be hanging onto life. They are now nothing more than a scam. Do your homework and read the Yelp reviews!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS INSURANCE COMPANY! The underwriters changed in 2017 and now they reject claims that had been covered in the past. They find ways they can reject every one of your claims and not actually cover your vet bills. Rates have doubled and customer service tells you the claims should be covered and then they are not!! I pay almost $1850 a year in premiums and this company is not covering any of my claims that they did before. Saying everything claims falls under a new diagnosis so I am stuck paying a deductible on each new diagnosis (they say) and it's criminal!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

A few years ago I would have given it a 4. But, I have a new dog and they have on record that he is overweight (8.5 lbs). For 8 months I've been trying to get this corrected. I've sent in everything they've asked for, even documentation from my vet. Each time, after a few months, I get a response where they say it is not good enough. Then they say they need some else, which I send in. Again, it is not good enough. Don't buy.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I am so thankful for Petplan! My dog has gone to the ICU and has had 4 surgeries on her legs since 2015. Without Petplan, she may not have made it this far, and even if she did, her quality of life would be much lower. My cat also had to go to the ICU and had a bladder stone issue that needed diagnosis and care. Petplan's coverage is worth every penny! They've saved me many THOUSANDS of $$. Petplan has allowed me to provide the care for my pets that is best for them. And EVERY time I call with a question, their customer service representatives are patient, kind, and helpful - especially Jordyn **. I HIGHLY recommend Petplan!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This insurance saved my dog's life. Without it I would not have been able to afford the 2 surgeries, a cancer surgery and foreign object removal surgery. Petplan was super fast with the claim and payment. No hassles and very compassionate during the whole process. I can't put into words how great this insurance is!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Jake was quick and friendly. Loved how nice he was in helping me! Great customer service. Not many places with phone support have reps as nice and efficient as Jake and others I have spoken with! I would 100% recommend Petplan to friends and family!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Called to request policy date be changed from the 3 of the month to the 11th of the month and was told I would have to be charged today 12/28/18 the 71.00 to make the change. My policy is current so I asked if I could just pay the difference from 3 to 11 so policy could allows be paid in 11th - was informed that I could not do so. Also informed that if I cancel my policy I could never get the same policy back - Customer service representative was unclear about why this is such a hassle since in the beginning of the policy you had to pay two months in advance. I’m totally confused and of course there was no supervisor to speak. He was clear that he was the final authority so I needed to pay them today and again on the 11 to get the policy date changed for my policy which is already current - I am changing insurance company. This makes no sense and the hassle is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have three dogs. One has Healthy Paws, one has Trupanion, and one has Petplan. I have had all policies since 2015. I have been very satisfied with Healthy Paws. I had some issues with Trupanion, but since then everything has gone very smoothly. Both companies pay what their policies say they will pay. No hassle. Definitely worth the money. Petplan on the other hand is a nightmare. I filed my first claims in 3 years about a week ago. Today I get emails telling me to submit vet notes that I submitted with the claims.

Some of the letters ask for medical records back to 2015! And all this for relatively inexpensive claims for a persistent ear infection. And these are only the second claims I have filed since I have been with the company. They make things so difficult - the point of which seems to be discouraging anyone from filing a claim ever. I don’t recall problems with the first claim with Petplan. But that was in 2015. I have been told that they have a new underwriter as of 2017. Go with Healthy Paws or Trupanion. Much better for your blood pressure. And for the heal of your pet.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

We had to take our 10 yr old dog to the vet for cancerous skin issues. Before we committed to the $2300 surgery I called Petplan to verify they said it all should be fine. I agreed to the surgery. Submitted the claim and they denied it due to the general care of pet policy which states that you have to have a vet visit within 30 days of policy inception. If you don't that may void your policy. Which they say they have never done. So basically what they are saying is that they are sticking me with the claim and the premium payments. It's so frustrating dealing with this. They will happily take your money, deny your claim if you miss one policy guideline, and not refund your premium payments because they bend the policy guidelines when it's best suits them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Was sold 2 policies. One for a one year old Golden. One for a puppy. OMG. My puppy is healthy, dewormed, vaccinated... She got into raw bacon...ate it. Got very sick... ER visit. CLEARLY AN ACCIDENT. Months of runaround. Constantly asking for THE SAME DOCUMENTS. Upload them, fax them, photos of them emailed... They keep sending me emails they need more documents. I call customer service, I talk to supervisors, I do a three way call where they call my vet...and have records faxed... Online account never updated and keep getting same generated email "need more documentation". One person even required me to go BACK TO THE BREEDER FOR VET RECORDS BEFORE I EVER OWNED THE DOG. Got those... Then they wanted more from her. This is all over RAW BACON. Trying to find any way to deny this claim. It's only $800. I have paid more than that in my monthly charges for the insurance on two dogs.

Moral of the story: You are better to get Care Credit and use that for pet vet bills or put $100 a month away. THESE PEOPLE WILL RUN YOU RAGGED UNTIL YOU GIVE UP AND THEN THEY DENY YOUR CLAIM. I have spent months on this and got NOWHERE. The amount of hours, time, frustration is not worth it. Think about it. If they go this bonkers over an $800 bill. What will they do to you if you turn in a surgery bill of thousands of dollars? Also, they say the "claims adjusters have no phones" so you can never talk to anyone about your claim and the vague email that looks autogenerated that says "need more documentation". I don't even know if there are any claims adjusters. I got a different answer every time I called and talked to someone about what they needed. Worst. Experience. Ever. Moral: Run. Use Care Credit. Put $100 in savings a month for vet expenses. They DON'T CARE.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Our 10.5 year old dog, whom we've had since a puppy, had a huge tumor removed from his abdomen in late October of 2018. That diagnosis, surgery and follow-up was extremely expensive. When the tumor was found, it was difficult to say whether it was malignant or benign. The alternatives were to let it kill him or remove it and determine if it was malignant or put him down immediately. Without Petplan, that decision would have been much more difficult. But, with our $500 and 10% co-insurance it was a no-brainer. The tumor was removed and unfortunately the biopsy revealed it was a slow growing sarcoma with a high mitotic rate, meaning it would return. However, immediately after the surgery and short recuperation time, our dog was back to being energetic and like a puppy again. He had more energy and was so much happier.

Then we had another decision to make - how do we treat the cancer, if we treat at all. We consulted with an oncologist and was told if we did nothing the tumor would return in about 4 months and we'd be back to where we started prior to the surgery. However, if we treated him with an aggressive chemo regimen we could stall the growth significantly and possibly prevent re-growth for 12-18 months. Thanks to Petplan, this was another easy decision. We opted for the chemo and are enjoying the extra time with our almost 11 year old "puppy." He is having no ill side effects from the treatments. His appetite is amazing and he's more active than he has been in years. He's happy and he looks great.

When all is said and done, the cost of the diagnosis, surgery and cancer treatments is projected to be about $11,900. Petplan's coverage will be about $10,000 and our out of pocket will be approximately $1,900. I should also mention that in 2015 our dog needed Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy for a blown ACL and that cost was around $5,500, of which $4,400 was covered by Petplan.

Yes, we have been paying premiums for over 10 years and yes, the premiums rise dramatically as the dog got older. However, we have accomplished several things - 1) we have taken out the financial factor in the decision making process and 2) we do not have to pay out large lump sums of money at one time. Just the monthly payments and 3) during the term of the policy we will have received benefits that are far in excess of the premiums paid. #3 will not always happen. If it did then Petplan would be out of business. But, that's what insurance is about - reducing your risk of catastrophic payments and giving you peace of mind. In our case, it is also allowing us to spend amazing quality time with our dog and prepare for his inevitable demise while keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you Petplan.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I read the first two reviews before posting mine: Mark of Boston, MA (1 star) and Sue of Pittsburgh, PA (1 star). Both of these reviews are spot on and mirror my issues. 2015: Got my cats as kittens and had Insurance with Petplan from day one. Initial vet check-up complete. Cats healthy. 2016: Vet check-up complete. Cats healthy. Had a couple claims throughout year, all paid out in a relatively timely manner. 2017: Vet check-up complete. Cats healthy. No claims.

2018: Take cats in to be seen by vet for general check-up. Very bad stomatitis in one cat, needs surgery as soon as possible. We agree and surgery is completed successfully. Put claim in with Petplan... Petplan was very vague regarding what documents they needed/were missing, took weeks to even have the case reviewed, and the entire time the online tracker was out-of-date. More than a month later, claim finally denied. Reason? Cat was seen to early in 2017, so as far as Petplan is concerned, they were never seen in 2017.

Again, the two reviews I read and quoted above are extremely accurate to how Petplan works. Be warned, they WILL go out of their way to deny you your claim. They are your typical, run-of-the-mill soulless insurance company. They do NOT care about you or your pet. Does this mean other companies are better? No. Would I prefer at least one person read this and choose another company? Yes.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I'll make it brief... Filed a claim two months ago... All the records asked for were submitted. Today I got another email saying they need more. Website is not updated with client info... Customer service agents were not helpful. I have had less aggravation from my medical insurer, which should give you an idea of how bad they are. They are not rude, the agents I spoke with say they actually work within the company, and not at a phone center. They claim they are there to help, but it should not take two months for them to inform me about what info they need from the vet. Maybe all the pet insurers work this way... Dunno, maybe once I calm down, I'll check out some of the competition in the pet insurance biz.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Look elsewhere for pet insurance. The underwriters changed in 2017 and the fine print on the new policy "covers" a hundred ways they can reject your claim and not actually "cover" your vet bills. Rates have risen a lot, customer service has declined, the "per incident" deductible is outrageous. With this current claim rejection, I am now cancelling my policy. It's not cost-effective for me, and it borders on thievery on the part of Petplan.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I took out policies on my two cats 18 months ago, both of which have always been examined by a vet every year. I just submitted a claim for periodontal work, and they won't cover any of it. The letter explaining their decision was so ridiculously complicated, I had to call them for an explanation. Their reason for turning me down was because a year before taking out the policy, the records said my cat had tartar. I was never told I needed to do anything, but Petplan said that tartar was a pre-existing condition and that no dental work will be covered for her. Please, if you are thinking about taking out coverage with this company, think again. There are better ones out there! At the least, read all of their fine print very carefully. With all of the regulations and restrictions, you'll probably never get reimbursed for any treatment.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had some follow up documentation requested following a claim. I called and got Jake ** on the phone. He was terrific... He explained what I needed and how to submit it! He even emailed me a request for medical records for my vet. He also inquired about the health of my pet! I was totally satisfied by my call and Jake's professionalism and attention to detail.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

My dog was one year old when I’ve enrolled an insurance, 1 year and 10 months if to be exact. The insurance did not pay our claim because 'if your pet is age six (6) years or older, the first exam will be the first exam performed by a veterinarian after the effective date of the policy, but during the policy period.' But in other side policy said 'an injury coverage begins five (5) days after the policy becomes effective.’ My policy has been effective on Oct 12, 2018, my puppy had an accident on Oct 22nd. On Oct 31st he had a surgery! It is clear that the dog is healthy as we visited a VET only for vaccination. I cannot believe that the company which in the market of 35 years serves clients this. It is not called service, it is called DECEPTION!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Jake was super helpful, quick, and friendly with helping me with my account! I have had a few interactions with them since having them and every time I am more happy than the last with their level of customer service!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have been paying premiums for almost 5 years and have never filed a claim. My dog developed allergies and after changing food, shampoo, laundry detergent, special prescription diet, over-the-counter antihistamines, the scratching and chewing on herself got so bad I decided to have an allergy test run. Yep, she's allergic to a host of things, mostly grasses. Based on the tests, a serum was created and we attempted to build up her immunity. Submitted my first claim with 2 years medical history, lab test results etc. Not good enough. They want ALL records from when she had her first well-puppy vet visit. The claims form does say "at least" two years of medical records but I feel like they are setting me up for a denial based on a "preexisting" condition. Like she had this when she was 8 weeks of age & only now I'm filing a claim!! Really?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been a Petplan insurance owner for my Jack Russell/Pug for 3 years. I have to say that the customer service is incredible. They are very kind and understanding and treat you like family. Secondly, they are very helpful when it comes to examining what your policy does and does not cover. I would not trust my dog's health plan coverage with any other provider.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Best Pet Insurance on market. Ask for Stacy **. She take good care of you. I very happy with this insurance. You be too. They make sure they get your claims process fast. Stacy always answer my questions.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had all of my dogs insured with Petplan for nine years. Due to this fact I am "grandfathered" into the older style policies with per condition deductibles. Since four of my dogs are 13 years old and the youngest one is 10 years old I file many claims. My policies recently renewed and I am tracking claims as I meet the deductible for each condition. I've had issues with one of the dog's claims as he has four chronic conditions and I was getting frustrated until I reached Stacey ** when I called. She was outstanding-- listened to my prior experience calling in, checked on the status of each issue, repeated my concerns back to me to make sure she understood everything and vowed to follow through until they were resolved.

With the exception of one customer service representative I have always been pleased with Petplan. But Stacey went above and beyond-- a true asset to Petplan. I will always have dogs in my life and will always insure them with Petplan. Thank you for allowing me to care for their medical needs regardless of the cost. And thank you Stacey for taking care of my claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had Petplan for over 10 years. They have always paid and were extremely fair and pay back fast. My dog Dixie just passed away from CHF. But because of Petplan I was able to give him the very best care available Not worrying about the cost. They were there for me. Very kind to us as well if I had to call. Never a complaint. Paid his bills. I still have Petplan for my dog Rebel. This is a great Pet Ins Co. I would go nowhere else. They really care. Upon my Dixie's passing they made a donation in his memory to Morris Foundation. A lovely memory for my Dixie. Any time I have put in a claim it was always just what I expected. No cutting here and there. They are 5 stars to me! They are a Godsend to me and my boys. I recommend them highly!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I am not typically one to leave negative reviews but here we go. I am very upset with our 30 day trial with Petplan and I will not be renewing our pet insurance through them. Petplan stated our dog's $500 pet bill was non reimbursable because it was a "preexisting illness". How is a dog eating his plastic cone at home and needing X-Rays done preexisting? We had to make sure there were no pieces of plastic in his stomach. They will not reimburse you a single penny and will be extremely difficult to get a response from. Petplan will leave you with many unanswered questions. After reading other reviews I see how common this is with other Petplan users so I highly recommend not using this company for your pet's insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had a great experience with Petplan. My dog was diagnosed with an auto immune disease and I've had to take him down to Purdue University and constant testing with my vet here in Illinois. His medication and these tests are so expensive. Petplan has paid this last year 15,000 towards his care. I seriously don't think I could have kept my dog alive with the costs I have every month. His medicine alone is over 300 a month now, and he has to go for bladder testing because of infection that will not clear up. I have peace of mind that I can do anything for him as long as he's still wagging his tail and is happy. Please consider them if you are looking into getting pet insurance. If there was a rating for 10 stars they would get it.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky