Petplan

Compare Pet Insurance Providers

Research top Pet Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was happy until I had to put a claim in. After sending it in two times and contacting customer care 3 times, I finally got a denial for my claim. What they fail to tell you (if you don't know to click on 5 different links to see this information) there is a two week waiting period before they will cover you. So you pay for almost half a month for your policy but you cannot use it. But they do send you an email as soon as they take your money to let you know you are covered. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

I have been policyholder since 2007 with two pets, now three. Premiums went up each year, but that was expected. However, this year the company changed underwriters, and premiums exploded with deductibles going up for the same premium price. I could almost put the money I spend on premiums in a pet medical savings account and come out ahead. The thing that has put me over the edge, however, is a major change in upgrades. Before, you could downgrade your coverage anytime, but only upgrade to higher coverage at contract renewal date, which was understandable. However, with the new underwriter, you can only upgrade at the initial new contract renewal date; basically, it's now or never. This was not communicated in any shape or form to current policyholders; I found out the hard way!

New contract was not mailed to current policyholders and could only be found online, if you had a reason to look. Current policyholders were never told to check the policy for changes or given summary of changes; in fact, we were told if we were happy with what we had, do nothing (does this sound familiar?). I had always recommended Petplan to others before, but no more. There has got to be more affordable coverage out there, but I have older pets with health issues so pre-existing conditions are a big detriment to me. I will not insure any new pets in the future.

Bunch of liars. I was a member of Petplan Insurance and wanted to cancel my membership. I called on December 13, 2016, to Petplan Customer Service and canceled. I was told I would receive a pro-rated amount back onto the payment method that Petplan was using to withdraw the money from my account. NEVER HAPPENED. A couple of weeks later, on December 27th, 2016, Petplan debited my checking account AGAIN, even though the plan had been canceled. This incurred an overdraft fee of $30.00. I called Petplan and spoke with Jenny, who apologized, and agreed the policy was indeed canceled on December 13th, 2016. She told me to attach proof of the overdraft fee and they would take care of that as well. I did so within a few minutes of our phone conversation.

So, a couple of weeks go by, now it's approaching the one month mark. I called and spoke to a Petplan rep, and she said that 2 gift cards for $25.00 each were sent to me for the overdraft inconvenience, and I should be receiving the money in my bank account. A few days later, after nothing showing up in the mail or in my bank account, I emailed Jenny at Petplan, and told her perhaps the money didn't go into the account at the bank because my debit card expired 12/31/16, gave her the updated expiration code, and asked her to find out. She emailed me back, and said the accountant said it never went into my account, due to the card expiring, so they would send a check, for $58 and change, so I said, "Ok thanks."

That was two weeks ago, still waiting on the check and gift cards. I emailed Jenny on Sunday, this past weekend, and never got a response. I called the Customer Service line yesterday and was told a supervisor would be calling me back, which, guess what? NEVER CALLED. I WANT MY MONEY AND THE TWO GIFT CARDS PROMISED TO ME DUE TO THE OVERDRAFT FEE.

Be very careful going with this company. They are trying to claim my pet has a pre-existing condition when my veterinarian wrote and letter explaining how it is not and they will not reimburse me... SCAM!!!! They pay vets to just say whatever they want so they do not have to reimburse you when boarded veterinarians at specialty hospitals say it isn't pre-existing. Don't waste your time appealing either.

I obtain insurance for my dog Aug-2015. As most sales people do they answered all my questions and stated that everything but pre-ex conditions were covered. I said fine. Paid my bill. My dog had an onset new illness. The bill was 325.00. I submitted a claim and 2 years of Medical Records. I received a check for 44.00. I called and they said I have a 200.00 deductible per NEW condition so that means each time I go to the vet IF my dog needs services I have to pay 200.00. I never nor would I ever agree to that. When I first signed up I was supposed to receive a policy. I never did. I eventually did get a copy of the policy but it's so vague. I bought the highest plan they have. Why would I pay for insurance if each time I go I have to pay 200. The average onset illness is 250.00. My dog is very healthy and has his regular maintenance. He has been sick 2 times in 4 years. These people will say anything to get you to sign up. Buyer Beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Your article, "Pet Insurance: Is It Worth the Cost?" did not examine PetPlan Insurance (which, in my opinion, is the best of all and the largest worldwide) and glossed over the companies you did talk about. While the article is informative to a degree, it really lacks comparisons. If you're doing an article, you should really compare what you're talking about by using a chart showing what the plans offer and don't to the others with costs.

It was impossible to satisfy the amount of documentation they needed from the vet, there was never enough. Too many phone calls and emails on my part to ask the status and no matter how much information was sent to them from my vet, it was never enough. They never paid one cent on my claim for my dog’s condition. They said it was a pre-existing condition although there was no evidence of this, an unscrupulous company.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.
  • Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.
  • Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.
  • No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.
  • Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.
  • Best for Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Compare Pet Insurance