2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.78/5

Petplan Pet Insurance providers comprehensive coverage in one simple plan that reimburses costs associated with accidents, injuries and illnesses for dogs and cats - including dental disease and online vet visits. Flexible deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum coverage limits (up to unlimited) allow customers to select a plan that best suits their budget. The company provides free online quotes and around-the-clock customer service to make sure customers can always access help or get coverage.

Petplan Video
Petplan Gallery (3)

BOTTOM LINE

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

PROS

• Covers older pets
  • Covers curable preexisting conditions
  • In-network visits not required

CONS

• Coverage limitations

Top Petplan Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia...They even pay for ongoing medications and holistic treatment.

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
  • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
  • Cancer treatments
  • Nonroutine dental treatments
  • Surgery and rehabilitation
  • Holistic therapies
  • Exam fees
  • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
  • Dental cleanings
  • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
  • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
  • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
  • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
Does Petplan cover medication?
Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
Does Petplan cover neutering?
Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I have had to use the insurance, unfortunately, and I'm still waiting to get reimbursed. It was frustrating at first because I didn't have all the money upfront to just give out like that. It wasn't explained to me that pet insurance isn't like people insurance, and that it's reimbursed back to me after the claim. The claim process has been very tedious and annoying because I've sent the same paperwork over numerous times. They ask for, basically, the lifespan of my puppy. She's only five months old. I'd given Petplan all the information from where she's gotten her shot, to the animal emergency place I took her to, and to the follow-up veterinarian service. They still ask for the same stuff over and over.

I finally had to call yet again, and this guy was very helpful. He took down all the information that I had already provided before. He told me to send over the follow-up visits and that I shouldn't have to submit a new claim 'cause they'll see that I paid those visit fees. I have a $250 deductible. So the rest, I believe, I would get reimbursed back for. They still haven't made a decision. It's still good to have the pet insurance so that you can look at getting reimbursed and get the care credit for the veterinarian services. And that way, you have it as a back-up as well.

Petplan response

Hi Natasha! Thank you so much for your feedback - it is greatly appreciated. It looks like all of the claims have been completed on our end and you should be receiving reimbursement shortly (if you have not already received it)!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I got a pet insurance because I already know how expensive a dog can be. I have a roommate whose dog is in and out of the vet every other week 'cause he's an older dog. They spend ridiculous amount on the most common things. After shopping around, I got the most bang for my buck with Petplan as far as how much they cover. They included some of the dental stuff. A lot of other pet plans don't include anything dental-related. It also was super affordable. I didn't even realize I've been paying towards that. The recurring payment is 50 bucks every six months. I submitted a claim about 2 weeks ago and it was super simple. Everything was done online. I just submitted the information and the receipt. I haven't gotten any word on that though. I think the reason why I haven't gotten that back is 'cause I do have a deductible. I think I have to reach my deductible before I get reimbursed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I'm a veterinarian and I was looking into two of the companies that we work with. I chose Petplan over another company because of the type of plan. I also overheard from one of my colleagues at work that he thought this was a good company. Also, their deductible is per year and not per medical condition. My main concern is if my dog needs X-rays or an ultrasound or some consult with a specialist, I don't have to pay out-of-pocket because I know how much that cost. Petplan is an okay plan. It's my first experience myself with pet insurance. Submitting a claim was quite simple because I did it right through the app, and then I sent more stuff over email. It was quite easy to do. So far, I've been pretty happy with the first claim I submitted. Petplan is a good company and by seeing other customers that have it, I think it works pretty well.

Petplan response

Hi Sylvia! Thank you so much for the feedback - it is greatly appreciated! I'm happy to hear the claims process has been simple and easy for you. For future reference, if your dog does need x-rays, an ultrasound, or a consult with a specialist, we are able to pay veterinary clinics directly! This is something you can speak directly with the clinic about.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

My vet here referred us to another pet insurance, and when I called them, I wasn't happy with the way they handled everything, so I started looking for another one. I wanted to get pet insurance on our puppy. I'm a member of AARP, and that's where I saw Petplan through. They referred them. I went on the internet and started reading about Petplan. I have a deductible of $300 a year. It's a low deductible. One of the things that I like about Petplan is they let you pick your deductible, and how much the annual that they pay. A lot of the insurances didn't do that. Also, their prices through AARP were really reasonable compared to the one that my vet referred me to.

Having the pet insurance is very valuable because we have a French Bulldog. I had a Boston Terrier, and he developed cancer, and that was very expensive. I waited five years to get another dog and I thought, when I get another dog, I'm gonna get insurance because everything just went up as far as pets. Nothing's cheap anymore, and we're retired and on a fixed income. So, it's very important for us to have insurance on everything.

I filed a couple of claims with Petplan to get my deductible in. I made copies and faxed it in and finally got it. The only thing that I don't like about the experience is they didn't email me anything back saying that they've received it. They have my email. They emailed me the policy, too, with our number. I just feel like after I faxed in, they should've given me some kind of feedback like "Well, we've received your claim of such and such and it was taken off your deductible." That's all they would've had to do, but they didn't.

Petplan is the most reasonable through AARP and also how you can pick what type of deductible works with your type of income and how much you would like for them. Biggie had hurt his eye one time out in our yard, and he had an ulcer on it. That was what I filed with them. We had to take him in and get that seen about and get a lot of medicine for that to cure the ulcer up. It did go away. It was two appointments to take care of that. It was like $250. My deductible's 300. So I thought, "That'll get me, my deductible, almost taken care of for this year."

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

We purchased Petplan for our a puppy we adopted. The representative was excellent and we felt comfortable trusting this company. Nine months later and living with our new family member, we realized that he was pretty anxious and took him to a new vet. He has been seeing a vet for routine health visits, shots, etc. The vet asked leading questions and we answered them after vet suggested maybe he was anxious since we got him, even though it wasn't an issue until we were in a car accident with him in the car. (Thank goodness, it wasn't serious enough to require medical attention. Although the car was pretty damaged.) The vet diagnosed anxiety and prescribed meds.

Petplan rejected the claim saying that it was a preexisting condition whether it was diagnosed or undiagnosed. Petplan is not as good as they put forth when signing up. They will look for any way to not pay. This is the only claim we have put in since we knew that routine visits and vaccinations were not part of our plan. Very disappointed. Buyer beware of misleading advertising and sweet talk by representatives. It seems that they reject an anxiety diagnosis as being preexisting. Will now look for other provider even though we felt good about this provider before this incident. Ugh! I guess you must read very carefully the fine print and realize that anxiety is really not covered, diagnosed or undiagnosed. Beware before you sign up!!! Hopefully, I will be able upload receipt later to confirm verified user since I cannot scan at the moment.

Petplan response

Hi Jacklyn, I am sorry to hear you are disappointed by the coverage you received, I understand how this can be frustrating.

At Petplan we define a pre-existing condition as a medical condition which first occurred or showed clinical sign(s) before the effective date of a policy or which occurred or showed clinical sign(s) during the policy waiting period. Since it was noted that your pet had been anxious since you got him the anxiety would fall into the pre-existing condition category.

If you have any further questions please let me know and I would be happy to help answer them!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

You see all these reviews with Petplan reps responding to make it look like they are responsive but I assure you once you sign up there is terrible communication. Let's go through the list:

1. It takes over a month to process your claim. It takes over a week for it to even show up. You better hope you can afford the bills and pay rent.

2. When you actually send documents over, there is no response to let you know it was actually received. You are just sitting there hoping.

3. For some reason, when vets send documents over directly it takes even longer to receive. This means if you want it received quicker you have to get the vet to send you so you can send them.

4. And this is the cardinal sin for companies. They won't simply let me cancel. I can't do it online and when I called I was actually told to call back Monday. The person on the phone said they are allowed do everything else besides that.

So for a company who is in the business of selling reassurance, safety and control over situations you are left feeling ignored and quite powerless.

Petplan response

Hi Adam, I am so sorry to hear you are unhappy with the customer service we have provided. We appreciate you voicing your concerns and how you believe we can improve our communication, this is something we really appreciate and will definitely take into consideration.

As for not being able to cancel your policy, we were in the process of upgrading our systems the week of 12/21 and were unable to cancel policies because of this. If you are still interested in canceling your policy please let whoever you speak to on the phone know you attempted to cancel but were unable to because of these updates.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

If you have a puppy or a young dog, don't even bother, they will not reimburse any veterinary expenses. On top of it, horrible customer service, you can only communicate by email and they won't even bother to answer; they hang up calls over the phone... and will try their best to overcomplicate things. Don't waste your money.

Petplan response

Hi Emanuela, I am so sorry that you are disappointed with our services and our customer service. We are available via phone from 8:00 AM-8:00 PM EST Monday - Friday and 10:00 AM-6:30 PM on Saturday if you would like to connect with someone and discuss these issues further.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I currently have a cat insured with PetPlan and am having problems with a claim. The cat became ill on the August long weekend, and my usual vet was closed. I took her to an emergency all-night vet, who treated her for an "unknown" infection, and kept her in overnight, prescribing antibiotics. When she did not improve over the next few days, I took her first to another local vet, and finally to my regular vet, who diagnosed an infected anal gland and medicated her appropriately. I uploaded all three invoices on the PetPlan website, and had problems at first trying to get them to treat all three invoices as part of the same claim.

At last, they told me that one of the invoices was not legible. After some discussions with them, I emailed all the invoices to them, and received an answer saying they had come through fine. No more word till I got a letter saying I had failed to submit a legible copy of the same invoice and my claim was denied. I called and spoke to the "Service Supervisor" who reiterated that the invoice was not legible, and emailed me a copy of the first one I uploaded on their website.

In our conversation, it became clear that the real problem with the invoice was not its legibility, as they now had a legible copy, but that it did not break the costs down in detail. They had a copy of the treatment record, but this was apparently not sufficient. The Supervisor told me they had not mentioned this as it is the norm expected by the company. Too bad nobody bothered to mention this to me. I at once obtained a detailed invoice and emailed it to the Supervisor, asking for an acknowledgement they had received it. No word in reply after a week.

Been dealing with this since August and it's pretty clear they are not going to pay. I am considering next steps if I do not receive a response from them. I'd appreciate hearing from others who have had similar experiences. I am a disabled senior on a very limited income, and I fear I have been paying for insurance that appears to be, if not a scam, at the least very badly managed and no benefit to me. I see from other comments here that delay is their method. I am not in a financial position to just accept their refusal to deal appropriately with my claim, so I shall have to look for assistance. Better Business Bureau? Media Consumer advocates? I wonder if other people posting complaints here have had success in obtaining redress.

Petplan response

Hi Margaret! We called your vet today and received the missing invoice. Your claim has now been assessed and you will be receiving a reimbursement check shortly. If you have any further issues please feel free to call us at 1.855.816.6882.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

My husband and I adopted our cats the second week of December of 2019. In the second week of January 2020, we took our cats in for their first vet visit. The vet recommended a dental cleaning for our first cat who was 2.5 years old, noting "Recommended Level 2 dental due to fractured canines-- discussed root canal vs. extraction." Nine months later, after moving into our new home, our cat Buff was having issues peeing everywhere and it looked like a UTI. I brought him to the vet who informed me that "There is a fracture to 104, a chip to 205 with marked gingivitis and swelling to the gingiva." After this visit (10/02/2020), they recommended "Level 3-5 Dental cleaning," noting "Fractured teeth-- 104/204 with stomatitis/LPS and possible tooth resorption."

Buff had also had trouble breathing in our new home and during the first visit in October of 2020, he was given a steroid shot to see whether it might help him or not/ if asthma would be a concern during the surgery they wanted to schedule the next week for his teeth-- "DecSP-Gave 0.7mls SQ- please monitor response to this injection on his breathing and panting.... If not better, recommend radiographs of the thorax at the time of dental treatment." They determined Buff did not have a UTI, but instead was peeing because his teeth were in pain and urged me to schedule emergency surgery the next week. I followed the Pet Plan instructions and performed a Pre-Authorization form before the surgery took place.

They denied my pre-authorization, saying, "Based on the information that we have received, the submitted preauthorization is not eligible for coverage. As indicated in the Terms and Conditions of your chosen policy, we will not provide coverage for conditions related to, resulting from, caused by, and/or the same as clinical signs and conditions noted prior to inception of your chosen policy. According to the medical records from Meridian Animal Hospital dated 1/14/20, Buff was seen for his first exam after adoption, Teeth #104 and #204 both noted as being fractured. As the clinical signs of a fractured/broken tooth were noted prior to inception of your chosen policy on 1/17/20, the claimed condition of a fractured/broken tooth is considered pre-existing and is not eligible for coverage as per the Terms and Conditions of your chosen policy." After the surgery was completed, it turned out that:

"Extractions: A left and right caudal mandibular (0.1 mis) and infraorbital (0.2ml) nerve block was performed with lidocaine. 104, 107, 204, 207, 208, 307, 308, 407, 408 were surgically extracted. The mucogingival attachment was severed with a 15 blade. A gingival flap was made. The multirooted teeth were sectioned with a high speed drill and the lateral alveolar bone was carefully removed with a round burr. Roots were elevated with wing tipped elevators. The alveolar bone was smoothed out with a diamond burr. The gingiva was sutured over the alveolus with 4.0 vicryl rapide. 206 was simply extracted with a winged tipped elevator. The gingiva was apposed with 4.0 vicryl rapide...

• Periodontal Disease Stage Ill
    ???? - Scaling followed by enamel polishing and fluoride treatment was performed.
    • Anesthesia, monitoring, and recovery were normal.

• Buff's teeth and gums are healthier after the dental cleaning. Accumulation of plaque and tartar causes pressure and inflammation of the gum tissue and the mouth becomes ???? source of infection for other body tissues. Therefore it is very important to provide home dental healthcare to maintain good oral health.

Extractions:

Buff had 10 extractions today."

They also took an xray to verify whether there was anything wrong with his breathing-- they found a slight blockage that indicated asthma and I was charged an extra $150 on top of the $1150 for the dental surgery for that as well. I emailed PetPlan back and let them know that the pre-authorization was inaccurate to the actual surgery, stating, "Buff got 10 teeth removed. You can take the cost of the two teeth out, but the rest I need help with insurance for. Also, they identified a blockage in his lungs that suggests he has asthma, and I need to be reimbursed for the xrays. Please see the attached documentation of his procedure. I have opened a claim, #002868384. " -- Since my first claim was denied based on the two teeth that were identified in January of 2020.

I attached the invoice and procedure documentation from the vet as proof. I received an email response back saying, "If your email contained claims documentation you can expect it to be processed within a few business days. From there we will send the claim to an adjuster for review. Please note average handling of claims is 15-25 days from when you submitted your documents." After filing my second claim and submitting all necessary paperwork, I did not hear back for a while. I called the customer service number, sent emails-- I learned that PetPlan can take up to 60 full days to process a claim. I submitted my claim on 10/09/2020, and received my response to the claim on November 13, 2020 (35 days past submission). Per their terms and conditions, they process claims and it can take a maximum of 15-30 days to process.

"Once you have provided the written notice and other specified information to us, we will determine whether the loss is covered by this policy. We will compute any applicable co-pay and deductible(s). We will then make our reimbursement to you within thirty (30) days from our receipt of all required information." This is on Page 11 section 3 of their terms and conditions contract. AGAIN, I was denied. Here is the reasoning sent in the email to me:

"Thank you for being a loyal member of the Petplan family. We have completed processing your claim for Buff. According to the invoice(s) received, the total amount being claimed for veterinary fees due to retention of deciduous teeth is $1,300.00. According to the medical records received and reviewed, Buff was observed, recorded or identified to have the presence or clinical sign(s) of retention of deciduous teeth within three hundred sixty-five (365) days prior to the inception of your policy on 01/17/2020, or during the waiting period of your policy. Your policy does not provide coverage for any curable medical condition that reoccurs within the three hundred sixty-five (365) day curable exclusionary period from the inception of the policy. Therefore, all costs associated with the treatment of retention of deciduous teeth are excluded from coverage, and your claim has been respectfully denied.

V. General Exclusions

This policy does not cover:

e. The cost of any treatment or diagnostic testing for pre-existing conditions as follows:

i. Any injury that happened or any illness that first showed clinical sign(s) before the effective date of this policy; any illness that first showed clinical sign(s) during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy; any injury that occurred during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy.

ii. Any injury or illness that is the same as, or has the same diagnosis or clinical sign(s) as any injury, illness or clinical sign(s) your pet had prior to the effective date of this policy; any illness that is the same as, or has the same diagnosis or clinical sign(s) as any illness your pet had during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy; or any injury that is the same as, or has the same diagnosis or clinical sign(s) as any injury that occurred to your pet during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy.

iii. Any injury or illness that is caused by, relates to or results from any injury, illness or clinical sign(s) your pet had prior to the effective date of this policy; any illness that is caused by, relates to or results from any illness or clinical sign(s) your pet had during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy; or any injury that is caused by, relates to or results from any injury that occurred to your pet during the waiting period beginning on the effective date of this policy. This exclusion applies no matter where the injury, illness or clinical sign(s) are noticed or occur on your pet’s body.

Pre-existing conditions do not include coverable ongoing medical conditions that showed clinical signs after the original inception date and waiting period.

iv. Any curable medical condition, that is observed, recorded or identified up to three hundred sixty-five (365) days prior to the original inception date of the policy or during the waiting period of the policy, will be subject to a curable exclusionary period of three hundred sixty-five (365) days from the original inception date of the policy. Any such curable medical condition that does not reoccur within the first curable exclusionary period will be coverable provided an annual exam is conducted by a veterinarian dated after the curable exclusionary period and before the first reoccurrence of such curable medical condition.

If the curable medical condition does reoccur within the curable exclusionary period after the original inception date then a second curable exclusionary period will apply after the first three hundred sixty-five (365) days. At the end of the second curable exclusionary period any such curable medical condition that did not reoccur during the second curable exclusionary period will be coverable provided an annual exam is conducted by a veterinarian dated after the second curable exclusionary period and before the second reoccurrence of such curable medical condition. If the same curable medical condition reoccurs during the second curable exclusionary period it will be excluded from coverage for the life of your pet.

I. Definitions Used Throughout This Policy

Pre-existing conditions A medical condition which first occurred or showed clinical sign(s) before the effective date of this policy or which occurred or showed clinical sign(s) during the policy waiting period.

Clinical signs Changes in your pet’s normal healthy state, its bodily functions or behavior (as observed by any individual, recorded in your pet’s medical record, or identified in previously performed examinations or treatment(s) for your pet).

Waiting period There is a fifteen (15) day period beginning on the effective date of this policy during which we will not cover any injury and or illness of your pet. The waiting period for injury and or illness of your pet will not apply to any renewal of your policy if renewal coverage is continuously maintained. Conditions for which clinical sign(s) were observed during the waiting period are excluded from this policy as pre-existing conditions

Curable Medical Condition Any medical condition or injury that can be completely resolved without recurrence or any manifestations of clinical signs.

Curable Exclusionary Period There is a three hundred sixty-five (365) day exclusionary period for any curable medical condition that is observed, recorded, or identified up to three hundred sixty-five (365) days prior to the original inception date of the policy or during the waiting period. A second three hundred sixty-five (365) day exclusionary period will apply if the curable medical condition reoccurs within the first three hundred sixty-five (365) days after the original inception date of the policy. If the same curable medical condition reoccurs during the second exclusionary period, then it will be excluded from coverage for the life of your pet."

So, to be clear, there's a few things I'd like to point out--

1. My first pre-authorization form was denied because 2 teeth were showing as fractured/chipped, which indicated a pre-existing identified issue with THOSE TWO TEETH. A standard Dental cleaning was recommended, as it was for both of our cats because it was their first vet visit and we had just adopted them

2. It was not just two fractured teeth that ended up being the issue-- 10 teeth were removed, and Periodontal Disease Stage Ill was noted as a potential issue during our visit in January 2020, which is why emergency surgery was even scheduled to begin with. No evidence of this was ever indicated during Buff's initial visit in October of 2020, and it was also not listed in my description of denial in my pre-authorization form.

3. I indicated that Buff needed xrays done to verify asthma during surgery and asked that the cost be addressed. This was never addressed in my claim, and no evidence of a pre-existing asthma condition was ever noted (Only notes in initial visit are "He also pants about once a week and will wheeze and sneeze occasionally." With no relation to this being an indication of asthma or anything else other than adjusting to a new environment.). This extra $150 charge for the xrays was still overlooked as tied to the dental surgery, and in the invoice there are two separate listings for radiographs: "Radiograph Dental full mouth" and "Radiograph Initial Series", the second of which has the extra associated cost. This is also outlined in the treatment consent (which I sent to PetPlan for both my pre-authorization and my updates claim) stating

" ... I am the owner/agent for the above named pet and have the authority to execute consent for the surgical/medical procedure known as Dental Grade 3-4 expected $950 - $1150. +/- Chest radiographs $150. Owner is okay with continuing on with what ever treatments are necessary ." This shows that those $150 xrays were not a part of the xray sets included with dental treatment, and that these were separate xrays for his chest.

4. PetPlan breached their own terms and conditions by exceeding the amount of time to process my claim after all necessary receipts, documentation, and vet notes, and anything else needed was given to them.

5. In their denial to any portion of my second claim, under the "Clinical Signs" portion it states coverage excludes "as observed by any individual, recorded in your pet’s medical record, or identified in previously performed examinations or treatment(s) for your pet)." The denial to the two teeth previously identified make sense-- but not to cover the cost of the other 8 teeth that were removed due to the association to a gum disease that were never identified/ gums were never mentioned in our initial visit and that CAUSED US TO SCHEDULE EMERGENCY SURGERY to address is breaching the terms and conditions as well! I called PetPlan to cancel my policy with them today and the representative told me "Because it shows that a dental cleaning was recommended during Buff's first visit, we have reason to believe there was evidence of a pre-existing dental condition." It was Buff's first visit to the vet and he had two fractures-- of course they recommended cleaning, but it stated nothing about his gums or evidence of any disease that would cause needed surgery within less than a year. If we would have known we would have scheduled his surgery sooner! All that was recommended was action on two teeth alone and along with a cleaning, regular upkeep.

I paid $20 a month per cat from JAN 2020 to NOV 2020 in the event that something unexpected and large cost would occur and I would get help with coverage. For Buff alone, I paid $200 over the course of 9 months for this. If I would have known that PetPlan would breach their own policies, find inexcusable ways to deny every claim I make, not address items I explicitly state, and continue to argue their own perspective without caring about how inconsistent and false their statements are, I would have saved that $200 and applied it to the $1300 bill that was accumulated from all this hassle.

When things are true (like the two teeth listed as having issues during the first visit) I completely understand-- I even stated that in my email to them during my second claim, asking all the other issues to be covered. However, to not address the breathing/xrays, to say that a recommended "Dental Cleaning" is an indicator of Periodontal Disease, I think that breaches their statements and is a fake way of trying to deny a claim and get away with it. Please make sure this business is actually serving customers and that people are not going broke paying for insurance while covering full costs of operations that should be covered.

Petplan response

Hi Melody, thank you so much for bringing this issue to my attention. I would recommend calling us at 1.866.509.1122 and speaking with someone that may be better aided to assist you with this issue. I sincerely apologize for all of the frustration this has caused and I hope that Buff is doing well.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

When I went to adopt the new puppy, they recommended Petplan. So, I got the information from the adoption center. There was one time that I filed a claim for some shots that the puppy needed to get but it was denied because it wasn’t covered. But it wasn't a big deal. Petplan is not something that you use on a regular basis. You’re paying monthly and it’s not an expensive fee but it’s very important to have it. You never know what’s gonna happen later on.

Petplan response

Hi Cristian! Thank you so much for your feedback! I am so happy that are satisfied with our policies. I hope your pup is doing well!

Petplan Company Information