Petplan was acquired by Fetch by The DoDo.

out of business
 3.8/5 (447 ratings)

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

About Petplan

Petplan was acquired by Fetch by The DoDo.

Find Pet Insurance partners near you

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I received a letter that Petplan was changing to Fetch but with this letter I noticed a significant annual premium. My premium changed from $505 to $937. I'm looking for another provider as this is so unacceptable. I wonder if it is even allowed. Rate increases that are almost 50% for me and it seems other people have had it even more. I hope Consumer Affairs can look into this as it is appalling.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I have had Petplan for my cat's entire life and had no claims for more than 8 years. When she got older and got sick, PetPlan more than tripled my monthly premiums from around $70 to over $250/month. They will respond to this review claiming they only raise premiums due to age, but I know this isn't true because I have other pets with PetPlan that are aging at the same rate and have not had their premiums tripled. Furthermore, if you read the fine print, they have updated their own site since they were acquired by a private hedge fund in 2019 to disclose that it is now their policy to raise premiums and/or reduced coverage based on individual pets' claim history. Of course, they did not reach out to policyholders about this policy change to give us an opportunity to cancel rather than be subject to this new policy.

So basically what they are offering is the opportunity to pay them while your pet is healthy, and if your pet ever gets sick and you need to use the insurance, they will raise your premiums so much that you can't afford it anymore and will be left uninsured. Get PetPlan if you like giving a hedge fund money in exchange for no benefits.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Since Jan of 2012 I have been paying PetPlan / FetchPet premiums, 10 years or Premiums. I learn today they never would have paid out a claim because I never had annual exams for my pet. I didn't know I needed this - they never told me. Verbiage was buried deep in the Policy and not easy to find on their website, that annual exams are required. They emailed me about price increases or to update my CC on file but never a reminder about an annual pet exam, which is required. This is very deceptive. The supervisors, to include Don **, and folks at Customer Advocate. Scott ** and Regina, all appeared untouched by my situation. You can tell if people care, they didn't. Even Don, a supervisor, said to me, "Don't tell me what to do". They are uncaring and condescending as they come. They all offered no assistance other than their word is the last word. I had to scour the web for Sr. Leadership email addresses and that did bear fruit - so far.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I have been a customer of PetPlan for approximately 15 years. In the beginning, they were great. Quickly processed claims. Kept me informed of any issues if any arose. I've even recommended them to friends as well (4 new policies). Several years back, PetPlan was acquired or merged with another company and policy prices jumped, but I stayed with them. After my dog died due to incurable cancer, I submitted a large package of reimbursable expenses along with a notice of my dog's passing. After waiting several months for reimbursement, I called to make sure that they were still working on my claim. I was informed that they did not have my paperwork. I said "Ok. I kept a copy of everything and I'll resubmit it." The customer service agent then said the time for submittal had passed. I protested and offered a copy of my delivery confirmation of the original package, but was shut down.

Fast forward two years later, I found out PetPlan had billed me for 2 years of insurance premiums for the dog that I had already notified them of his death. I called them about their mistake, and they assured me that they'll get a refund to me. 2 months go by. I called them to check on the refund. They said that they were still processing it, and reverified the details. That's when I found out they only backdated the refund for one year, and not the two as promised. I corrected them, and they said they'll fix it. One month goes by, I receive a notification that my dead dog's policy was coming up for renewal. They still had not canceled the policy. I called them. I got the usual apologies and they said they'll have my refund to me in a couple of weeks.

I spent the next two months calling and emailing them for updates. Literally, every time I spoke with them, it appeared that only half of the pertinent information would be logged from the previous call. They would tell me that accounting is working on my issue, but when I called again weeks later, they tell me that it wasn't in accounting and ask me for the same papers that emailed over the last time. When I called a week later, they told me that they were waiting on Accounting, but they had no further information. I asked if I could speak to Accounting/Billing, and I was told no.

Finally, I filed a complaint with the BBB. That caught their attention because the Customer Service Manager griped about it. One week after the BBB contacted them, they miraculously produced my refund check. I canceled my two existing policies and went elsewhere. After a month, I received a letter from them. It was a denial of a claim I "made" for the bill I received for my dog's euthanasia. I submitted no such claim. This company asked for proof of my dog's death (twice, I may add), so I responded to their emailed request with the record of my dog's death. If I were the paranoid type, I'd say the company just wanted to give me one more dig about my dog's death. I'm not, though, so I just attributed it to their incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I attempted to make a claim. They told me to do it online. Password? What password? So now we do the reset, which does not work. After the 3rd phone call, I called and cancelled coverage. Licking my wounds for about 7 months of paying for this useless coverage. Please please run away from this greedy, useless co. When the people that run Petplan meet their maker, they will be going to a very hot place!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I submitted the same background documents to multiple claims to establish my cat's health and lack of pre-existing conditions. Petplan used these documents to deny one claim, saying that my cat has a pre-existing condition, but used these exact same documents to say other claims were incomplete and that I was missing medical records. Which is it, Petplan? Am I missing records, or is my cat ineligible for treatment?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

First claim after one year was rejected; only at this point do they tell us what we were required to do within one month of taking policy. We arrived in Canada a year ago, with three cats, then aged 2, 4 and 6. They were, and still are, super healthy, and live indoors. After 11 months, we realized that their vaccinations needed renewing, so took them to the vet. The vet carried out an initial medical assessment, identified a heart murmur in the (now) 5 year old, and took blood to test. Nothing was found, which is not necessarily a good thing as the next step would have been an ultrasound at CAD 800.

Clearly Petplan would not have reimbursed that, as they would have described it as a pre-existing condition. Suffice to say that this cat has never suffered from heart problems, and we suspect that the murmur was probably caused by his chewing on a houseplant. We did not have prior medical records, as we had moved to Canada from Thailand, and our vet in Thailand kept only handwritten notes, not computerized, and in Thai language. We paid a single bill of CAD 504, for three baseline medical assessments and the blood test procedure. The claim was rejected. The rejection email set out the basis for this rejection, but wrongly stated that the claim was for CAD 504 - it was probably for around CAD 100.

My problem with this is that Petplan were happy to take our premiums for a year without informing us upfront that they required an initial medical check up. Their website states that "Our plans average around $25/month". Premiums for our cats, based only on their ages and breed, were assessed at $27, $41, and $44. How were they able to make such assessments, all higher than their advertised "average", without medical assessments? Needless to say, premiums for the oldest and youngest cats were not adjusted after submission of the medical reports, despite both cats receiving a clean bill of health.

Cancelling the three policies required a phone call, which was quick and easy. However, there is no information on their website about how to cancel policies. The chatbot is worse than useless. The gentleman who took my call noted that all insurance companies will required similar. That is almost certainly right. The issue is really one of communication. Petplan have been happy to take our premiums without ensuring that we would be covered in the event of a claim.

What next? We will take our time to identify a pet insurance that receives more positive reviews. Our cats are still young - now 7, 5 and 3, we feed them well, and are happy to take our chances at this stage. If and when we take new pet insurance, we will ensure that a baseline medical assessment is completed within the indicated time, and that the invoice/receipt for these assessments is separate from any procedures needed. We will also check reviews on websites such as this.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

My rates, without warning, were automatically raised from $883/year to $1588. When I called for an explanation, I could not get one. I cancelled the policy and in one day found another company for a lower rate than I was initially paying. Once you are hooked in, it seems they are shameless in raising rates. I can't comment on coverage credibility because fortunately our dog has been quite healthy.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

This insurance is horrible. I have had them for 12 years. Once in 12 years I put a 300.00 claim in. Then my dog needed teeth pulled. I sent them the paperwork with the claim. Nope. Not enough. They want doctor's handwritten visit. What? The paperwork came from the vet. Nope. Not good enough. Plus they wanted the last 3 or 5 years of her visits. No problem. I was getting aggravated so I sent them my dog's entire medical file from when she was 3 months old. Nope. Not enough. "We want the doctor's handwritten notes." I have been tying to collect this since 2018. They do this so you will forget about it. This claim was for over a thousand dollars. I pay 120 a month. I'm not giving up. I rightly deserve the money that I paid out. Don't walk, run!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

What Petplan says in their marketing differs heavily from reality. They do not cover pre-existing conditions, nor medications for curable conditions that are pre-existing, now do they cover any diagnostic test results if they come back showing no issue. If your dog has a x-ray and they find nothing, it is not covered, if something shows up on a secondary test afterwards, like an MRI, only that portion is covered. All holistic care like acupuncture and chiropractic help MUST be done for a new condition and MUST be done by a vet, otherwise they are not covered either.

Basically, PetPlan only seems to cover new issues, and just tests that show an issue. It comes to half the amount of coverage we had with Trupanion and regret ever signing up with Petplan as it was sold to us saying it covered much more than they actually do. Their website says diagnostic tests are covered - Misleading as it will only cover based on the results.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Pet Insurance partner.

Petplan Company Information