2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Petplan Pet Insurance covers costs associated with accidents, illnesses or curable preexisting conditions for dogs and cats. Customers can customize deductibles, reimbursement percentages and annual limitations. The company gives free online quotes, and pet owners can get discounts for multiple pets or service animals.

BOTTOM LINE

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

PROS

• Covers older pets
    • Covers curable preexisting conditions
    • In-network visits not required

CONS

• Coverage limitations

Top Petplan Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and for my lab mix to have surgery related to elbow dysplasia. ... They even pay for ongoing medications and holistic treatment.

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
        • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
        • Cancer treatments
        • Nonroutine dental treatments
        • Surgery and rehabilitation
        • Holistic therapies
        • Exam fees
        • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
        • Dental cleanings
        • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
        • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
        • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
        • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
        Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
        Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
        No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
        Does Petplan cover medication?
        Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
        Does Petplan cover neutering?
        Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

We have two four-legged children, ages 8 & 9. Without prior notice, Petplan automatically debited our account for annual renewal with a greater than 50% increase. Last year we paid them over $1000 and received less than $150 after a $200 deductible. We have not had a major claim in over 6 year. When we called to inquire about the increase, the supervisor was rude and unreasonable. It's cheaper to self insure. We canceled our coverage. Do not waste your time with these people.

Original review: July 19, 2020

I have been paying for my dog insurance for almost two years. My dog was having problems with her heath. So I called Petplan and was told I have a $300.00 deductible and 20% to pay of the remainder. After taking my dog to the vet she needed surgery. After the surgery I called Petplan. They asked for phone number of vet to get the copy of bill. After three weeks nothing so I called. They said vet never returned call. I checked with vet and was told no one called. After three calls to Petplan I was asked to email the bill.

So i did. I was told it takes two weeks for results and they would call me. I wait three weeks no call, I needed to call back and they told me they would put rush on it. Then another two weeks,nothing. I call after they asked for more information, I have told them that all I had. I was told I needed to have the dog checked after 6 months but they kept telling me my claim was good. Not once did anyone say I needed the dog checked out. This is misleading. Dont use them as they dont pay3out. Since they did not pay I am looking to get all my money back for almost two years. The money I paid is was what is my claim for.

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Received pre-approval and coverage for our dog for his allergies. The pandemic hit and we are isolating to protect ourselves. We needed a recheck for the dog to ensure there were no side affects to the medication. We chose to protect ourselves and had a telehealth visit. One much like they are encouraging for humans. PetPlan refused payment for the medication and the visit as in the terms and conditions (pre-pandemic) stated that they were unable to alter their conditions even given the catastrophic nature of the pandemic. "No national emergency, pandemic, or another event so all regulations remain the same". Please be aware they protect and value their business more than they value your health. I am sure that the CDC would disagree with in-person visits when a telehealth re-visit for an existing condition would serve the same purpose. This is just poor business practice given our current world.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I have been paying premiums into this insurance plan for years and the one time I had to file a claim, it was denied. I've also been sending emails to the company trying to cancel my policy for the last eight months and they have not responded once. I'm still trying to get the policy canceled and now they increased my premium by 30% without any notice. I wish I had just saved the amount that I paid for the premium because it would have covered the vet bill several times over. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have been with Petplan for a number of years. It used to be a great company, but not now. Since they changed underwriters a few years back, the premiums have skyrocketed and the coverage plummeted. When I originally signed up, I was told that I would not be penalized for the aging of my pets, and that premiums would not increase over 10% a year. However, when the new underwriters took over, the yearly amount for one of my older dogs went up from under $1,200 a year to over $3,200 a year for less coverage. The premium on my then healthy cat jumped from $350 a year to approximately $1,200 a year. I couldn't afford to keep everyone on, so took some off.

Later, I added the cat back on when I could afford it. But Petplan then declared everything was pre-existing. For example, she had a 1% crystals in urine, something my vet said shouldn't matter, so they declared they would never cover any sort of bladder issues. She had elevated values on her SDMA test, (a test many vets do not even believe in) so they decided if she ever had kidney issues, they would not be covering it. With any claims I turn in, they now challenge almost everything supplemental. If the vet does not write a letter stating that the supplement is medically necessary, they will not cover it.

Petplan used to be great about all sorts of supplements, covering everything my holistic vet recommended. Not so anymore. Also, do not expect that any discounts you signed up with will be carried over to the next year. They are really good at getting rid of those. It is even hard to find out how much the premium for the next year will be until the month before and numerous calls. They are very sloppy on paying claims: sometimes they cover the cost, sometimes they don't. I have had to call up and request reviews multiple times. They are really good at ignoring invoices; paying some and not others.

Recently an agent sounded incredulous that I wanted the claim sent back for the omitted tax. It was only a few bucks, but they are my bucks. I think they figure you will tire out and let things go. So if you sign up with these people, be aware, you may be having to follow up and challenge many things. If my multiple pets did not currently have pre-existing conditions I couldn't get covered if switching companies, I would do exactly that. I have heard good things about Embrace and Trupanion, but can't speak from experience considering those.

Original review: April 21, 2020

I have hardly made any claims to Petplan because my pets have always been generally healthy. I make sure they get excellent food. When I did submit a claim they always had an excuse as to why I was not reimbursed. Now my dog is one year older. He is now 12 yrs old. They doubled the premium. Just like that. Doubled it. My dog has been healthy and no claim was submitted within this past year. They know that it is hard moving to a new pet insurance because of my dogs age and they are using this to their advantage. I have lost thousands and thousands of dollars paying yearly premiums for my pets. I would have been better off saving all the thousands in a bank account for them.

Original review: March 29, 2020

The good thing about PetPlan is that their coverage includes examination fees, which most pet insurance companies don't cover. But everything else - not great. Every time I submit a claim, they point at something in the past that has nothing to do with the current claim, and decline. One time, my dog had infection on his paw and the vet noted on the medical record "possible allergy reaction" to something on the ground when we went on hiking. PetPlan declined this claim stating "pre-existing condition".

When I called them to appeal, they gave me the past dates on the medical record that had the word "allergy". But those visitations to the vet had nothing to do with his paw or infection or allergic reaction to some foreign object on the hiking course. They were just totally different occasions for totally different conditions. I had to have our vet write the letter for us explaining what happened to all those past exams in order to prove that the current condition was not pre-existing. Ridiculous. They keep doing the same thing to every single claim I submit unless it's an injury or the condition is very new. Do not become a member with PetPlan. Look elsewhere.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Be forewarned, this company will do or say anything to get out of paying claims. I have been with them for years, have paid several thousands of dollars in premiums, with very little payout and every single claim I have filed they tried to get out of paying or somehow only ended up paying a small amount. I find them to be very dishonest, and after reading several other reviews on here, I see that others have had the same experience. Very sad. This company should be under investigation.

Original review: March 19, 2020

Trust me, do not use them. Terrible experience with the claim department. My dog is 8 years old and has had insurance for at least 7 years. Gopetplan are super good with new policies and collecting your money and then when you need them for the claims, they go to the tiny fine print. They are saying that there was no baseline exam and that he had pancreatitis for months before I took him into the vet. A dog with pancreatitis that is not taken care of will die in days. This is ridiculous. Because of pancreatitis, we found out that he had bladder stones and we did a preventive and proactive surgery and now they say that it's not covered.

I have referred GoPetPlan to so many friends and family. Please do not use them, trust me, look for other companies and make sure you read the fine print. Their customer service for new policies is awesome, but once you go into claims they are terrible. Zero empathy and non-sense fine print. They are liars and not sure how they are ethical about playing with people's dogs/claims. Contact me if you have any questions. I can show you the vet records for the dog for years so that you can see that I am not making anything up. Please do not use them.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Bought this through AARP for all three dogs. In one week I had to take two of them to the vet for stitches. Petplan made me send 2 full years medical records for each dog. Their site couldn't handle the upload so had to email it several times because they kept losing them. Then I find out that the first appointment no matter what happens is considered a "baseline" appointment and anything found to be wrong with the dog at that time, is forever excluded. It's in the terms and conditions they provide to you after you sign up. Shame on AARP for backing a rip off like this. Total waste of money!

Petplan Company Information