1.73/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Petplan Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

While I could write what would amount to a War and Peace Novel I'll stick to the Readers Digest Version for the sake of simplicity. I have been a pet owner the majority of my life (read a senior citizen) and I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds by way of joint issues, ligament issues, cancer or any other of a host of health issues. Thru all of them PetPlan has been there to help mitigate the extraordinary expenses incurred with surgeries, allergies, physical therapy and more.

Claim filing is easy, payment fast, and their customer service reps knowledgeable, helpful, and always willing to take as much time as needed to answer questions or resolve open issues. Recently Sarah helped me close out a claim and it was a pleasure dealing with her. Prior to joining PetPlan I had coverage under 2 different Pet Insurance companies, and my experiences with both was less than even mediocre. PetPlan was recommended by a trusted vet and after thoroughly researching them I switched and have never looked back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

How much are you willing to spend to make sure your four-legged baby is healthy, happy, and safe? I'm glad I don't know the answer - because it's probably everything in my savings account, all my credit cards, and my right arm. I still have both arms and no debt thanks to Petplan's coverage of my beloved puppy. Brody, less than two years old, is suffering from a serious muscular condition that has caused him intense pain, exhaustion, and muscle-atrophy all over his body. He is the happiest dog on earth, and it has been awful to watch. Unfortunately, he did not respond well to the usual treatment options and after almost two months of trying different things, we eventually ended up in the emergency room.

After a couple days in the hospital and a neurological consultation, Brody is on a revised "get healthy" plan and improving slowly each day. Between the vet visits, the recurring bloodwork, the prescriptions, anesthesia for exams (too painful to do without), a cancelled vacation due to emergency treatment needs, emergency room bills, and everything else that may be coming our way, we were (and are) looking at thousands of dollars in care. PetPlan has been there since Day One.

When Brody first received a diagnosis, I called Petplan to make sure I understood where we were headed financially. The first thing the person asked me was, "How are you and Brody holding up?" That's how all my interactions with Petplan have gone - they ask first about our well-being, then answer any questions openly, honestly, and quickly (I've never waited to speak to a real person).

The most recent time I spoke with a Petplan representative, I called in a panic because the bill for Brody's emergency room visit and subsequent hospital stay was a big burden and the hospital refused to work with Petplan for payment directly (they required it upfront). The person I spoke to at Petplan - once again, asked how Brody was doing - and then assured me that she understood the issue completely and would do everything she could to get the claims expedited. They were approved and a check was in the mail within 48 hours of that conversation.

I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Petplan, and I hope this story encourages you that it's the right option. I know other doggie-parents who have had very different situations, and I am so glad that Petplan has never asked me to choose between Brody's well-being (or even his life) and my financial stability.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 14, 2019

I was nearing the end pretty tough overseas work trip when my friend who was dog-sitting my pet Barkley texted me saying he was at the Vet/ER because Barkley broke his leg. I called the vet immediately and was told it was a bad break, definitely required surgery and it had to happen ASAP. I honestly thought he might lose his leg. The doctor was upfront and told me this could cost as much as 6k. When I said I had pet insurance she was relieved for me and Barkley and said she tells everyone it's a must have for pet owners. She's right. Barkley is getting the care he needs to recover and Petplan is really coming through.

This was the first claim I filed so I was a little overwhelmed with the process at first but they are very reachable, kind and understanding over the phone and they walked me through every step of the process. Having pet emergencies is undeniably stressful and this was no different but it's nice to know Petplan was there for me and Barkley to make this whole thing a little bit easier. I highly recommend Petplan to owners.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan is a lifesaver! They are a great company to work with and I’m so glad I found them to protect my fur babies. They always respond to inquiries timely and are extremely friendly and helpful. All claims I’ve ever submitted have been reviewed when promised or faster. They’ve always paid what the policy says they will. They don’t try to overreach known conditions to get out of covering other ones. And although when I pay my vet bills the workers always grumble a little when I mention insurance, my vet and hospitals have never expressed any issue working with this company when documentation is needed. It’s very easy to see what will be covered – pick your limit, pick your deductible, pick your co-payment % and done. And their terms and conditions are very easy to read and follow. Anyone considering paying for pet insurance should be getting annual well visits for their pet anyway.

Why pet insurance? Why Petplan? I’ve had two cats and both turned out to have undiagnosed genetic deformities in their internal organs that eventually turned into serious medical conditions. Once the trouble started, diagnosis and treatment cost thousands of dollars. Because of Petplan I never had to say no to any of the recommended treatment because I knew they had my (and my kitty’s) back. They cover hereditary conditions and chronic conditions as long as the condition had not manifested itself and was not detectable when the policy began. And they pay what the vet charges – no fee schedule and no different coverage for regular vets vs. hospitals. Those things distinguish Petplan from other companies offering similar products.

Read the fine print when you compare companies. If you are looking for insurance to cover well visits, then this is not the company for you. However, if you’ve ever had your feline best friend act normal one day and be on death’s door the next, you know how stressful it can be worrying about your pet and how you are going to pay for his or her medical care. And medical care for pets is expensive! Petplan provides great coverage, excellent service and offers very reasonable premiums. If you are looking for an accident and illness policy to cover your cat or dog, I highly recommend Petplan.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Our 10.5 year old dog, whom we've had since a puppy, had a huge tumor removed from his abdomen in late October of 2018. That diagnosis, surgery and follow-up was extremely expensive. When the tumor was found, it was difficult to say whether it was malignant or benign. The alternatives were to let it kill him or remove it and determine if it was malignant or put him down immediately. Without Petplan, that decision would have been much more difficult. But, with our $500 and 10% co-insurance it was a no-brainer. The tumor was removed and unfortunately the biopsy revealed it was a slow growing sarcoma with a high mitotic rate, meaning it would return. However, immediately after the surgery and short recuperation time, our dog was back to being energetic and like a puppy again. He had more energy and was so much happier.

Then we had another decision to make - how do we treat the cancer, if we treat at all. We consulted with an oncologist and was told if we did nothing the tumor would return in about 4 months and we'd be back to where we started prior to the surgery. However, if we treated him with an aggressive chemo regimen we could stall the growth significantly and possibly prevent re-growth for 12-18 months. Thanks to Petplan, this was another easy decision. We opted for the chemo and are enjoying the extra time with our almost 11 year old "puppy." He is having no ill side effects from the treatments. His appetite is amazing and he's more active than he has been in years. He's happy and he looks great.

When all is said and done, the cost of the diagnosis, surgery and cancer treatments is projected to be about $11,900. Petplan's coverage will be about $10,000 and our out of pocket will be approximately $1,900. I should also mention that in 2015 our dog needed Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy for a blown ACL and that cost was around $5,500, of which $4,400 was covered by Petplan.

Yes, we have been paying premiums for over 10 years and yes, the premiums rise dramatically as the dog got older. However, we have accomplished several things - 1) we have taken out the financial factor in the decision making process and 2) we do not have to pay out large lump sums of money at one time. Just the monthly payments and 3) during the term of the policy we will have received benefits that are far in excess of the premiums paid. #3 will not always happen. If it did then Petplan would be out of business. But, that's what insurance is about - reducing your risk of catastrophic payments and giving you peace of mind. In our case, it is also allowing us to spend amazing quality time with our dog and prepare for his inevitable demise while keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you Petplan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I have had my 3 year dog on Petplan for 1 year and only made one claim. They put her plan up over 300$ at her renewal. When I called to inquire why basically 'because we can'... no good reason. I am so so so disappointed in this company and fear the future amounts will keep going up until I can't afford it and probably when I really need it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this pet insurance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I started paying Petplan almost 1.5 years ago. My dog has issues with biting her butt and whenever she does that, I take her to the vet to remove whatever build up she has in her glands. When I first started I asked customer service would this be covered under insurance. They said right away yes it will be covered. When I submitted my bills last year, first they said that my dog has a preexisting condition so it won't be covered.

When I told them that the previous time was due to diarrhea and not her biting her butt. They said it's still preexisting so it won't be covered. I was extremely upset. On top of that they told me that I was doing this as a preventative measure so it won't be covered even though I told them I take her to the vet because of her biting her butt not as a preventative measure. So basically I am paying them in addition to taking my dog to the vet. Which is double the cost. They also don't cover food that is prescribed by the vet when my dog had diarrhea. That food was expensive.

I am paying 60$ per month (250 deductible, 90% coverage), so that's about $800 so far. Plus I am paying the vet which is about $300 (plus any other issues she might have). I am paying the insurance company more than my vet Bills LOL. I will cancel my policy soon because I would rather set aside 60 bucks each month to save if anything happens to my lil pup.

Also when I tried to cancel the policy they sweet talk you into staying, saying that if you give us more proof then we will cover you. You can't just get a letter from a doc saying that this was due to so and so because everything is stated in the medical notes. And it could also be a veterinarian that is not there anymore. They only provide the contact to customer service who don't really know anything. There is no contact with anyone who actually assess the claims. Overall it didn't cover anything and not very user friendly. I would give no stars if there was an option.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Have had our cat insured with PetPlan for many years (over 10) and maybe had 3 small claims. Got notice for her renewal which last year was $613 and was told over $1200 (double from last year, same coverage). Could not believe it. She is 16. It’s like your writing off her because she is older. I could have put away what I have paid over the years and been ahead of the game. Very upset and disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Got a email from them stating pet is protected. After 12 months made a claim and they had all these excused why my pet wasn't covered. They collected my money the whole time. They led me to believe I had protection coverage. Something about a time lapsed for a Vet. exam and I do qualify. They refused to pay back my money as the policy stated it would do, if I didn't meet these requirements. Beware!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

After seven years of continued service...I was informed today that my Labs' insurance plan was canceled back in August 2019! I was never made aware of this and to top it off wasn't given any notice except I received today an uncashed check for his policy from June of this month; no info or reason why. Customer service was unable or unresponsive to this & made no effort to solve this issue.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky