2.35/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

50 Petplan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Look elsewhere for pet insurance. The underwriters changed in 2017 and the fine print on the new policy "covers" a hundred ways they can reject your claim and not actually "cover" your vet bills. Rates have risen a lot, customer service has declined, the "per incident" deductible is outrageous. With this current claim rejection, I am now cancelling my policy. It's not cost-effective for me, and it borders on thievery on the part of Petplan.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I took out policies on my two cats 18 months ago, both of which have always been examined by a vet every year. I just submitted a claim for periodontal work, and they won't cover any of it. The letter explaining their decision was so ridiculously complicated, I had to call them for an explanation. Their reason for turning me down was because a year before taking out the policy, the records said my cat had tartar. I was never told I needed to do anything, but Petplan said that tartar was a pre-existing condition and that no dental work will be covered for her. Please, if you are thinking about taking out coverage with this company, think again. There are better ones out there! At the least, read all of their fine print very carefully. With all of the regulations and restrictions, you'll probably never get reimbursed for any treatment.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had some follow up documentation requested following a claim. I called and got Jake ** on the phone. He was terrific... He explained what I needed and how to submit it! He even emailed me a request for medical records for my vet. He also inquired about the health of my pet! I was totally satisfied by my call and Jake's professionalism and attention to detail.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

My dog was one year old when I’ve enrolled an insurance, 1 year and 10 months if to be exact. The insurance did not pay our claim because 'if your pet is age six (6) years or older, the first exam will be the first exam performed by a veterinarian after the effective date of the policy, but during the policy period.' But in other side policy said 'an injury coverage begins five (5) days after the policy becomes effective.’ My policy has been effective on Oct 12, 2018, my puppy had an accident on Oct 22nd. On Oct 31st he had a surgery! It is clear that the dog is healthy as we visited a VET only for vaccination. I cannot believe that the company which in the market of 35 years serves clients this. It is not called service, it is called DECEPTION!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Jake was super helpful, quick, and friendly with helping me with my account! I have had a few interactions with them since having them and every time I am more happy than the last with their level of customer service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have been paying premiums for almost 5 years and have never filed a claim. My dog developed allergies and after changing food, shampoo, laundry detergent, special prescription diet, over-the-counter antihistamines, the scratching and chewing on herself got so bad I decided to have an allergy test run. Yep, she's allergic to a host of things, mostly grasses. Based on the tests, a serum was created and we attempted to build up her immunity. Submitted my first claim with 2 years medical history, lab test results etc. Not good enough. They want ALL records from when she had her first well-puppy vet visit. The claims form does say "at least" two years of medical records but I feel like they are setting me up for a denial based on a "preexisting" condition. Like she had this when she was 8 weeks of age & only now I'm filing a claim!! Really?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been a Petplan insurance owner for my Jack Russell/Pug for 3 years. I have to say that the customer service is incredible. They are very kind and understanding and treat you like family. Secondly, they are very helpful when it comes to examining what your policy does and does not cover. I would not trust my dog's health plan coverage with any other provider.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Best Pet Insurance on market. Ask for Stacy **. She take good care of you. I very happy with this insurance. You be too. They make sure they get your claims process fast. Stacy always answer my questions.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had all of my dogs insured with Petplan for nine years. Due to this fact I am "grandfathered" into the older style policies with per condition deductibles. Since four of my dogs are 13 years old and the youngest one is 10 years old I file many claims. My policies recently renewed and I am tracking claims as I meet the deductible for each condition. I've had issues with one of the dog's claims as he has four chronic conditions and I was getting frustrated until I reached Stacey ** when I called. She was outstanding-- listened to my prior experience calling in, checked on the status of each issue, repeated my concerns back to me to make sure she understood everything and vowed to follow through until they were resolved.

With the exception of one customer service representative I have always been pleased with Petplan. But Stacey went above and beyond-- a true asset to Petplan. I will always have dogs in my life and will always insure them with Petplan. Thank you for allowing me to care for their medical needs regardless of the cost. And thank you Stacey for taking care of my claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had Petplan for over 10 years. They have always paid and were extremely fair and pay back fast. My dog Dixie just passed away from CHF. But because of Petplan I was able to give him the very best care available Not worrying about the cost. They were there for me. Very kind to us as well if I had to call. Never a complaint. Paid his bills. I still have Petplan for my dog Rebel. This is a great Pet Ins Co. I would go nowhere else. They really care. Upon my Dixie's passing they made a donation in his memory to Morris Foundation. A lovely memory for my Dixie. Any time I have put in a claim it was always just what I expected. No cutting here and there. They are 5 stars to me! They are a Godsend to me and my boys. I recommend them highly!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I am not typically one to leave negative reviews but here we go. I am very upset with our 30 day trial with Petplan and I will not be renewing our pet insurance through them. Petplan stated our dog's $500 pet bill was non reimbursable because it was a "preexisting illness". How is a dog eating his plastic cone at home and needing X-Rays done preexisting? We had to make sure there were no pieces of plastic in his stomach. They will not reimburse you a single penny and will be extremely difficult to get a response from. Petplan will leave you with many unanswered questions. After reading other reviews I see how common this is with other Petplan users so I highly recommend not using this company for your pet's insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have had a great experience with Petplan. My dog was diagnosed with an auto immune disease and I've had to take him down to Purdue University and constant testing with my vet here in Illinois. His medication and these tests are so expensive. Petplan has paid this last year 15,000 towards his care. I seriously don't think I could have kept my dog alive with the costs I have every month. His medicine alone is over 300 a month now, and he has to go for bladder testing because of infection that will not clear up. I have peace of mind that I can do anything for him as long as he's still wagging his tail and is happy. Please consider them if you are looking into getting pet insurance. If there was a rating for 10 stars they would get it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I recently submitted a claim to PetPlan. First time filing a claim. I was in contact with Stacey **, “pet happiness manager”. Stacey went above and beyond to help me, to answer all my questions. A person with true heart. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Petplan has been a life saver for me and my cat, Daisy. If it wasn't for Petplan, I would not have been able to afford the $4,000+ vet bills that Daisy has incurred. Daisy ended up having a super rare auto-immune disease, and it all started with a trip to the emergency vet for vomiting and diarrhea. Petplan has covered absolutely everything at 90% minus her $200 deductible. Petplan's customer service is also amazing as well. Heather ** goes above and beyond with helping gets my claims completed asap. I wouldn't choose any other pet insurance company over Petplan, these guys are the best.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I got pet insurance with Petplan and was with them under a year. When it came to processing the claim, despite their automatic email reply saying they will get back to you in 10 days. They did not contact me until over a month later. Throughout the claim process, no one contacted me to give an update or to inform me they may take a while to process. No one even bothered to contact me to inform me they had decided not to process my claim and made a decision it was classed as a pre-existing condition that won't be covered.

I had to phone the company to follow up the progress of the claim to get all this information! I even had to phone them to find out the claim got denied and to get them to put it into writing. What poor customer service. Despite me disputing that the illness was diagnosed at the time I had insurance, they still refused to process the claim. A total waste of money, don't bother with this insurance. You're better off putting the money into a savings account for emergencies.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Don not use this company!!! I paid for a 3000 for my golden retriever's ACL tear treatments and pet plan denied my claim! Do NOT use this company! No one calls you back either when you need to talk to someone. I had to call them months later to find out what was going on! Total rip off!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

After 6 years I can say PetPlan is a total scam. Initially they paid out on a claim or two but I have had this company deny every claim in the last few years, they always find a way out to not have to pay. I can say it's a total scam, in that I am better off saving the premium in my savings account and paying myself, at least I know I will have the money. Sad to say this insurance is not worth it at all. I have cancelled and wished I did it sooner.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have been with Petplan for many years now. I purchased insurance for my French Bulldog/Boston Terrier mix. I knew the breed was prone to issues and I have always had pet insurance for all my animals. True to her breed, she has had many health issues. Eye infections, ear infections, knee dislocation, hip dysplasia and most recently diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome after thousands of dollars of tests. I have never had a claim denied. The claim process is simple and payments arrive quickly. The value in this policy is high.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had the exact same experience as Vanessa. I got a rescue kitten and the agency was wonderful she had her vaccinations, was microchipped etc. When she was about 10 months old she got an ear infection in one year. After 2 months of trying to submit a claim I finally gave up and realized that I was scammed and am paying for pet insurance that I will never be able to use. I would try and submit the claim and they would say I need something else, I would submit that and the cycle would continue and then they would start contradicting themselves.

I do know that not all pet insurance companies are like this because my sister has insurance for her cat and has had no difficulties with claims etc. She (and my vet) can't believe what Petplan is putting me through. After over 2 months I'm no closer to even getting my claim looked at, and this is only for a minor ear infection. Can you imagine if it was something big and/or ongoing. Do NOT waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

If I could give a negative star review of this company I would. I adopted a rescue. Our adoption of Lucky who is an abused pit bull mix from our local SPCA has been wonderful. Our SPCA strives on the best care for our animals. Lucky was adopted with full vaccinations, spayed and a complete health approval. I decided to do the best for my dog and provide her with pet insurance. Not only did Petplan take my money, they refused to process any claim. There was always more and more paperwork needed and some that was impossible to provide.

I've decided that was enough. I will just cancel my pet insurance. Petplan refused to refund me my money. Now when I am emailing them just to provide a refund of what I paid into a service that I did not receive, they are ignoring me. Completely unprofessional and scam artists if you ask me. From reading other reviews I am not the only person they have done this to. Please do not support this corrupt company that claims to put your fur baby first and then just scam you of your money.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I’ve been paying for my two dogs for the past 3+ years. The monthly fee went up significantly last year which was not ok. I just tried to make a claim, because my dog hasn’t been to the vet in the past two years. They won’t process the claim. We are expected to go to the vet every year even though the dogs have no reason to be at the vet. So in top of the $40 a month X 2. I am expected to also pay $100+ a year to see a vet that isn’t covered by the plan. So when I went to the vet. Got a checkup and found a lump that is being removed in two weeks. They won’t cover it. 'Cause they don’t know if it’s a pre existing condition.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I have insured my dog with Pet Plan for the past six years. During that time, I filed one claim, which was initially denied and subsequently paid upon appeal. In spite of my dog's remarkable good health at age 9, my pet's premium increased dramatically this year. I called to find out why and whether there were changes to the policy that I could make to make the cost more reasonable. The agent told me that my plan had changed from a per incident deductible to an annual deductible and that is why it was so much more expensive but if I increased the deductible by $100, my annual cost would be significantly lower. Her explanation and suggestion seemed reasonable so I moved forward. Upon filing my first claim related to an injured dew paw, I learned that I did not in fact have an annual deductible policy but a per-incident deductible.

Apparently, because I had filed one claim over the prior six years, my dog was not eligible for an annual deductible policy and that the prior agent was not authorized to sell me such policy. Pet Plan further informed me that because I had unwittingly increased my per-incident deductible, my pet was no longer eligible for the policy he had initially been offered a month earlier. As such, the only insurance they would provide my pet is the current high per incident deductible. I explained that this policy was akin to catastrophic coverage only and that I would never have selected if the first agent had not misled me into believing that my pet had been switched to an annual deductible.

Since I was getting nowhere, I elevated the issue to management, who referred me to their legal department. It has now been a month and no one in the legal department has replied. At this point, I am disgusted with Pet Plan's lack of good faith/fraudulent business practices and going to cancel my policy. Pets Best insures my second dog (who unfortunately has developed a chronic medical issue) and provided me with a reasonable quote for insuring my first pet on an annual deductible basis with a policy that also covers routine care and office visits. It appears to be a much better option.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have pets covered on Petplan, Trupanion, and Nationwide. Nationwide is better by far, and Trupanion is a close 2nd. My veterinarian is frustrated with Petplan because all claims require medical record documentation and vet’s Initials. He and his staff do not get paid for insurance paperwork time. Nationwide and Trupanion requires nothing from the vet. None of their time is wasted on insurance. Petplan changed my policy without my approval. Deductible is higher. I must pay a deductible per incident, not per year. Trupanion and Nationwide deductibles are $100 total PER YEAR. And a simple tooth extraction was excluded as preexisting periodontal disease by Petplan. Extractions have never been denied coverage by Nationwide.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We started with Petplan in April 2016. In March 2016 we took our dog to our veterinarian and during the visit she had some irritation on her nose and would scratch and rub. The vet stated that it could be dermatitis or allergies. We later had other unrelated digestive issues with our dog and they covered those claims. The skin issue worsened and we finally had a biopsy conducted in June 2017. The results pointed to an autoimmune disorder, possibly discoid lupus. The insurance company covered the testing!

Fast forward 6 months later and she was treated again for the same condition at the vet and the claim was denied. They stated that she showed signs of the condition way back in March 2016. We had her treated again in May of 2018 and again by a dermatologist in July. We are out over $800 and the claims have been denied, citing pre-existing condition. They covered the biopsy though in June 2017. When I brought this up, they stated that that claim was paid in error. After many frustrating phone calls and a resubmission of the claim, they still refuse to treat her condition. Our vet tried to call and no one returned her call. We have cancelled our policy. I don't need the frustration and would be better off putting money aside for our dog for any further treatment she may need. I have nothing good to say about Petplan.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The Ashtons sell Pet Insurance. I thought it best for EVERYONE to know they are stealing from people. I met my deductible and moved then six weeks later I was told I "Un-Met" my deductible. This is not the only incident I've had with Petplan and I am not the only one. People like to report on just "How wonderful" business people they are but no one talks about the stealing and the "ripping off" of people that people like the Ashtons do and their uneducated staff who make about 8.00 an hour do not know how business works. Stay away from Petplan and find another reputable company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

When I first enrolled in Petplan, they offered a "per condition" $200 deductible with 100% reimbursement. At first, that seemed appealing, as who wouldn't want to get 100% back on what was laid out. Once in the policy, a year after, their underwriter changed, and policies were put into a regular $250 deductible (on any condition) and policy holders could choose 80-90% reimbursement. I, was not one of those people who were offered this change in policy as my pet, unfortunately was diagnosed with a liver mass and now is considered a per-existing condition.

I feel Petplan and their underwriters are now robbing me blind. Since I am in a new "policy" year, every time I submit a claim to pet plan, I am DENIED, why? Because although my vet bills are sometimes $200 plus, the underwriters break it down PER CONDITION. That means, I am spending HUNDREDS of dollars at the vet and getting NONE in return unless EACH CONDITION my dog is seen for reaches $200 EACH. Sounds crazy, right? The unfortunate part is, I am not able to cancel the policy and enroll her in a straight deductible policy because she has what is now per existing conditions and I was informed that because there are many claims on her policy, she won't ever go into a straight deductible policy.

Shame on you Petplan, when you're supposed to be offering assistance, the shady policy practices are putting me in debt. I have 2 other pets enrolled and my other pet was put into the same PER CONDITION policy upon her renewal with a $350 PER CONDITION deductible that once I realized what had been done, you will not allow me to change. Instead, you want me to cancel my policies and start over. I am incredibly disgusted by this companies policies and feel others should know of this shady practice.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been with them over 2 years, recently my pet got urine blockage and spent $7000 but this company refused the claims because we didn't do check up every year as the reason they told which I didn't get any mentioned before as their term and policy (Hidden clause). I told them even we do check up every year won't find out urine blockage which happened as emergency and we insured over 2 years. But they still refuse to pay. I think they only want collect money. Won't want to pay. STAY AWAY.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It looks like their goal is collect claims and pay nothing. As I have read in other reviews, they consider a UTI at any time in a pet's life to be a pre existing condition. They are horrible to deal with, go somewhere else or budget money in an account. Petplan has been a waste of my money and my animal is healthy.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have been a PetPlan customer for many years and paid my premium on time every year. Last year, PetPlan changed their underwriter and as a result my premiums went sky-high and because my dog is a senior dog, I have no recourse to get another policy and have to accept their capricious decision. What makes matters worse, is that if I was a new customer, my policy would be about 200 dollars less, per year, even for the same age and type dog. To make matters worse, when I went to change my policy at the time of renewal, I was given a quote, only to find out that they billed my account for a higher amount. When I called to inquire, they acknowledged this, but then billed me for a "change fee" instead of taking responsibility for their error. I am so disappointed in this company and would not recommend them to anyone for a variety of reasons noted above.

Original review: May 22, 2018

After I lost 3 cats to expensive health conditions prior to my current cats, I thought that insurance made sense to help pay the bills. I signed with Petplan when they were young, and at first this company was great. However, the way this company now operates is just plain wrong. It's robbery. It's insensitive. Don't do it. My advice: Read the fine print with any insurance company. And don't expect that what you buy today will stay the same. If they change owners/underwriters, it will change. My cats are older now and have pre-existing conditions, so I can't switch. My choice is to keep paying these crooks or go without insurance and hope for the best. I'm still deciding which is worse.

PetPlan used to be a good insurance company that paid their claims and charged a reasonable amount. They changed underwriters a few years back. When they did that, they charged a lot more and covered a lot less. They pay BY THE CONDITION, EACH plan year. It's not a yearly inclusive deductible, so don't be fooled. One of my cats has 3 conditions. They put the $300 deductible against EACH condition. So, though I've spent over $1,000 on this one cat, and $447 on one condition alone during this current plan year, they have paid me a grand total of $13.17.

Yet I've paid out hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars to this insurance company in the past 9 years. The right thing to do when they changed underwriters would have been to grandfather-in existing customers with older cats and dogs, but they didn't. The people who answer the phone are nice, but they can't do anything about this. I would not recommend this company.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky