1.3/5 (58 ratings)

About Petplan

Petplan Pet Insurance provides comprehensive coverage in one simple plan that reimburses costs associated with accidents, injuries and illnesses for dogs and cats - including dental disease and online vet visits. Flexible deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual maximum coverage limits (up to unlimited) allow customers to select a plan that best suits their budget. The company provides free online quotes and around-the-clock customer service to make sure customers can always access help or get coverage.

Pros

• Covers older pets
  • Covers curable preexisting conditions
  • In-network visits not required

Cons

• Coverage limitations

Bottom Line

Petplan insures dogs and cats of any age and covers accidents, illnesses and curable preexisting conditions. There are exclusions, including routine care. Discounts are available for service animals and multiple pets.

Top Petplan Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can't say enough about Petplan insurance. ... They paid for cancer treatment for my golden retriever, treatment for heart disease for my sheltie (along with two surgeries) and f...

Verified

I can't imagine having a 4 legged kid and not having Petplan coverage. From PureBred Rottweilers to Mixed Breeds, one never knows what might the future holds. ... PetPlan has been...

What is Petplan?

Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs that become injured or ill. Overall, consumers appreciate the short Petplan waiting period, the generous Petplan reimbursement policy and Petplan’s helpful customer service representatives. Petplan customers also like the company’s coverage of extra expenses.

Costumers can request a quote by visiting the company’s website or calling the company. You need to provide the name, breed and age of your pet so Petplan can determine the coverage costs. There is no enrollment fee to open a policy, and medical records are typically not required. All pets must receive an examination before coverage begins, however.

Petplan policies are approved quickly and become effective at 12:01 a.m. EST the day after enrollment. There is a 15-day waiting period after the effective date of the policy during which Petplan doesn't cover any injury or illness. Though medical records are not required to enroll, the company may request them if your pet has been ill or injured recently, is on specific medications or is being reenrolled after a break in coverage.

Petplan Pet Insurance policies

PetPlan offers comprehensive coverage for veterinary fees incurred from accidents, illnesses and injuries, including chronic and hereditary conditions. The company offers three different plan tiers, including Bronze, Silver and Gold plans, and customers have the option to customize their coverage.

Pet owners can customize the maximum annual payouts (from $2,500 to unlimited), annual deductibles (from $250 to $1,000) and reimbursement percentages (70%, 80% or 90%).

The exact coverage options vary based on the pet’s breed and health history. The broadest plan offers coverage for extras, such as boarding fees and even travel expenses in the event of a vacation cancellation caused by a pet illness or emergency.

What does Petplan cover?

PetPlan's insurance covers multiple services, including:

• Diagnostic treatments
  • Imaging, including MRI, CT scan and ultrasound
  • Cancer treatments
  • Nonroutine dental treatments
  • Surgery and rehabilitation
  • Holistic therapies
  • Exam fees
  • Prescriptions

Like most other pet insurance companies, Petplan doesn’t cover noncurable preexisting conditions, elective procedures, routine care or cremation. Petplan preexisting conditions that are not covered include allergies, diabetes, lipomas and urinary blockages.

In addition, Petplan animal insurance does not cover:

• Spaying or neutering
  • Dental cleanings
  • Animals that aren’t dogs or cats
  • Liability if a dog destroys property or causes injury

All dogs and cats are covered for accidental injuries, unexpected illnesses, curable preexisting conditions, chronic conditions developed after the policy begins (diabetes, asthma, arthritis and cancer), rehabilitation, alternative therapies and exam fees.

Petplan policyholders can choose their pet health provider — there are no networks or preferred providers through Petplan.

Petplan Insurance cost

Petplan's dog insurance costs between $34 and $54 each month for most healthy dogs, and Petplan's cat insurance costs between $20 and $38 each month for most healthy cats. Petplan's costs vary based on the breed and health of the pet and the coverage selected. Pet owners who choose a high deductible, for example, pay lower monthly premiums, and a pet owner who has a senior cat with a chronic condition may pay more than one with a puppy in optimal health.

For a pet owner with a Maltese whose plan has a 90% reimbursement and $300 deductible, a veterinarian bill for $5,000 would require a 10% copay ($500) and $300 deductible, and Petplan would provide the pet owner with $4,200 in reimbursement. This plan would cost around $48 per month.

Petplan monthly costs are based on the annual deductible, reimbursement percentage and annual limit you select for your pet or pets. These are outlined and defined by Petplan as follows:

• Annual deductible: Ranges from $250 to $1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower the monthly premium.
  • Reimbursement percentage: Ranges from 70% to 90%. This is what you receive after being reimbursed for a veterinarian bill. Petplan typically processes and pays claims within 14 days.
  • Annual limit: Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited for any 12-month period, depending on the plan you select.

Discounts are available for medical service animals, pet owners with multiple pets and pets with microchips. Requesting a Petplan quote gives you the most accurate cost to insure your pet.

Petplan FAQ

How do I submit a claim with Petplan?
Consumers who need to submit a Petplan pet insurance claim form can email, fax or mail their Petplan claim form. Petplan claims require a completed and signed claim form, a paid and itemized receipt and a medical records release form.
Does Petplan cover dental cleanings?
No, Petplan does not cover dental cleanings, which are considered preventive or routine care. Petplan does cover dental injuries and disease to all teeth.
Does Petplan cover medication?
Petplan covers prescribed drugs in all of its policies if the medications have been prescribed by the veterinarian as a treatment plan for any covered injury, illness, accident or behavioral disorder. Prescriptions for preexisting conditions are not covered. Coverage includes up to a 90-day supply of medicine at a time.
Does Petplan cover neutering?
Petplan does not cover the cost to spay or neuter cats or dogs.

Is Petplan a good insurance company?

Petplan offers customizable pet insurance at a reasonable price and covers pets of any age. Though Petplan’s policies have some limitations, the company covers curable preexisting conditions, which isn’t a common practice among pet insurers. Pet owners can choose their veterinarian since Petplan does not have in-network or out-of-network providers. Pet owners with older pets, those with curable preexisting conditions or a preference for a favorite veterinarian should look no further than Petplan.

Petplan Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Our Bella, a Blue Heeler, got a bacterial infection. She was really sick for about seven days and had to go to the vet and get all kinds of medications and injections. I filled up paperwork, got everything together, and contacted my vet. I said they would send the records when they were questioned about Petplan. I got two checks within three or four weeks for the payment for the different services. Everything went great. Bella recovered and is doing pretty good.

Hi Ramona,

Thank you so much for the feedback and kind words! I am so glad to hear you have been happy with your experience with Petplan and that the claims process was quick and efficient for you.

I am glad to hear Bella has recovered and hope she is doing well!

Get buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I found out about Petplan through a friend of mine who's a veterinarian. We had a really negative experience with massive pet bills and we didn't know that pet insurance was a thing and she recommended it to us. I have also recommended Petplan to everyone I know. It's easy to submit claims. Everyone who works there is amazing. They all have pets and they all empathize with you. They're there to help you as much as they can. It's a fantastic company. They're the best.

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for the feedback and kind words! I am so glad to hear you have been happy with your experience with Petplan and that you have found our customer support helpful. We really appreciate you recommending us to others as well.

I hope your furbabies are doing well!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I liked the pricing of Petplan. I looked into their policy and it seems like the most fitting, especially with having gotten a puppy. Because at that point, my pet didn't have any preexisting conditions. So, I wanted something that was going to cover her if anything were to come up. It was fairly easy when I submitted a claim. I love that it was online. In regards to the checkup or the invoices from her vet, it was really easy to upload a PDF or a picture of it.

Hi Olga,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am so glad to hear you have been happy with your experience with Petplan. I'm very glad to hear the claims process was easy and efficient for you as well.

I hope your pup is doing well!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I needed to use Petplan for my dog and it was my first experience. So when you go at it for the first time, you don’t know how to do it and handle it. So it's an all-new experience for me. It wasn't that enjoyable, mostly because I was learning. The first thing that I did was try and use the Petplan app to download my documents. The app was difficult to use a little bit. It was hard getting the documents over and when I called the claim center and asked if they received my documents, they said they didn’t. I tried to do it again but I couldn't submit the documents that way. So I had to call my vet and have him submit the documents to Petplan directly. Then, my vet was giving me a little bit of flack. They sent some documents but didn't send all the documents that were for my dog's complete medical history.

Petplan sent me a letter that said that my dog wasn’t covered because he didn't get this initial doctor's visit and then, they canceled my claim. I had to call Petplan again and reopen the claim, and then go back over to my vet. I made sure that the vet sent all the documents that Petplan needed. Petplan got all their documents and they apologized for canceling the claim on me. They expedited the claim and took care of everything extra fast. I got my check right away. They screwed me over a little bit at first and then made up for it at the end. So, I'm definitely not dissatisfied at all.

The only thing that I would gripe about Petplan is that they canceled the claim. It was quite a chunk of money out of my savings account and me being unemployed with the COVID, with that money missing out of my account and then Petplan saying the claim was denied, you have no idea about the panic that set in. The Petplan claims department should reach out to the pet owners and say that they didn't receive the documents, and that they were gonna cancel the claim in a day or two if the pet owner can't provide them instead of just canceling the claim on somebody and not calling and saying anything at all.

Hi Al,

Thank you so much for the feedback and for your recommendations. We value our policyholder's opinions and are always open to hearing how you think we can improve our processes. This information is very helpful and will be useful when we are making enhancements in the future. I apologize for the mistake made on our end of canceling your claim but I am happy to hear that it was able to be resolved quickly and efficiently. Your first claim often takes the most amount of time to process since we need your pet's complete medical history so for future claims we will not need as many documents from your vet.

I hope your pup is doing well!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I have had Petplan for my cat's entire life and had no claims for more than 8 years. When she got older and got sick, PetPlan more than tripled my monthly premiums from around $70 to over $250/month. They will respond to this review claiming they only raise premiums due to age, but I know this isn't true because I have other pets with PetPlan that are aging at the same rate and have not had their premiums tripled. Furthermore, if you read the fine print, they have updated their own site since they were acquired by a private hedge fund in 2019 to disclose that it is now their policy to raise premiums and/or reduced coverage based on individual pets' claim history. Of course, they did not reach out to policyholders about this policy change to give us an opportunity to cancel rather than be subject to this new policy.

So basically what they are offering is the opportunity to pay them while your pet is healthy, and if your pet ever gets sick and you need to use the insurance, they will raise your premiums so much that you can't afford it anymore and will be left uninsured. Get PetPlan if you like giving a hedge fund money in exchange for no benefits.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

Since Jan of 2012 I have been paying PetPlan / FetchPet premiums, 10 years or Premiums. I learn today they never would have paid out a claim because I never had annual exams for my pet. I didn't know I needed this - they never told me. Verbiage was buried deep in the Policy and not easy to find on their website, that annual exams are required. They emailed me about price increases or to update my CC on file but never a reminder about an annual pet exam, which is required. This is very deceptive. The supervisors, to include Don **, and folks at Customer Advocate. Scott ** and Regina, all appeared untouched by my situation. You can tell if people care, they didn't. Even Don, a supervisor, said to me, "Don't tell me what to do". They are uncaring and condescending as they come. They all offered no assistance other than their word is the last word. I had to scour the web for Sr. Leadership email addresses and that did bear fruit - so far.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I have been a customer of PetPlan for approximately 15 years. In the beginning, they were great. Quickly processed claims. Kept me informed of any issues if any arose. I've even recommended them to friends as well (4 new policies). Several years back, PetPlan was acquired or merged with another company and policy prices jumped, but I stayed with them. After my dog died due to incurable cancer, I submitted a large package of reimbursable expenses along with a notice of my dog's passing. After waiting several months for reimbursement, I called to make sure that they were still working on my claim. I was informed that they did not have my paperwork. I said "Ok. I kept a copy of everything and I'll resubmit it." The customer service agent then said the time for submittal had passed. I protested and offered a copy of my delivery confirmation of the original package, but was shut down.

Fast forward two years later, I found out PetPlan had billed me for 2 years of insurance premiums for the dog that I had already notified them of his death. I called them about their mistake, and they assured me that they'll get a refund to me. 2 months go by. I called them to check on the refund. They said that they were still processing it, and reverified the details. That's when I found out they only backdated the refund for one year, and not the two as promised. I corrected them, and they said they'll fix it. One month goes by, I receive a notification that my dead dog's policy was coming up for renewal. They still had not canceled the policy. I called them. I got the usual apologies and they said they'll have my refund to me in a couple of weeks.

I spent the next two months calling and emailing them for updates. Literally, every time I spoke with them, it appeared that only half of the pertinent information would be logged from the previous call. They would tell me that accounting is working on my issue, but when I called again weeks later, they tell me that it wasn't in accounting and ask me for the same papers that emailed over the last time. When I called a week later, they told me that they were waiting on Accounting, but they had no further information. I asked if I could speak to Accounting/Billing, and I was told no.

Finally, I filed a complaint with the BBB. That caught their attention because the Customer Service Manager griped about it. One week after the BBB contacted them, they miraculously produced my refund check. I canceled my two existing policies and went elsewhere. After a month, I received a letter from them. It was a denial of a claim I "made" for the bill I received for my dog's euthanasia. I submitted no such claim. This company asked for proof of my dog's death (twice, I may add), so I responded to their emailed request with the record of my dog's death. If I were the paranoid type, I'd say the company just wanted to give me one more dig about my dog's death. I'm not, though, so I just attributed it to their incompetence.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I attempted to make a claim. They told me to do it online. Password? What password? So now we do the reset, which does not work. After the 3rd phone call, I called and cancelled coverage. Licking my wounds for about 7 months of paying for this useless coverage. Please please run away from this greedy, useless co. When the people that run Petplan meet their maker, they will be going to a very hot place!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I submitted the same background documents to multiple claims to establish my cat's health and lack of pre-existing conditions. Petplan used these documents to deny one claim, saying that my cat has a pre-existing condition, but used these exact same documents to say other claims were incomplete and that I was missing medical records. Which is it, Petplan? Am I missing records, or is my cat ineligible for treatment?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

First claim after one year was rejected; only at this point do they tell us what we were required to do within one month of taking policy. We arrived in Canada a year ago, with three cats, then aged 2, 4 and 6. They were, and still are, super healthy, and live indoors. After 11 months, we realized that their vaccinations needed renewing, so took them to the vet. The vet carried out an initial medical assessment, identified a heart murmur in the (now) 5 year old, and took blood to test. Nothing was found, which is not necessarily a good thing as the next step would have been an ultrasound at CAD 800.

Clearly Petplan would not have reimbursed that, as they would have described it as a pre-existing condition. Suffice to say that this cat has never suffered from heart problems, and we suspect that the murmur was probably caused by his chewing on a houseplant. We did not have prior medical records, as we had moved to Canada from Thailand, and our vet in Thailand kept only handwritten notes, not computerized, and in Thai language. We paid a single bill of CAD 504, for three baseline medical assessments and the blood test procedure. The claim was rejected. The rejection email set out the basis for this rejection, but wrongly stated that the claim was for CAD 504 - it was probably for around CAD 100.

My problem with this is that Petplan were happy to take our premiums for a year without informing us upfront that they required an initial medical check up. Their website states that "Our plans average around $25/month". Premiums for our cats, based only on their ages and breed, were assessed at $27, $41, and $44. How were they able to make such assessments, all higher than their advertised "average", without medical assessments? Needless to say, premiums for the oldest and youngest cats were not adjusted after submission of the medical reports, despite both cats receiving a clean bill of health.

Cancelling the three policies required a phone call, which was quick and easy. However, there is no information on their website about how to cancel policies. The chatbot is worse than useless. The gentleman who took my call noted that all insurance companies will required similar. That is almost certainly right. The issue is really one of communication. Petplan have been happy to take our premiums without ensuring that we would be covered in the event of a claim.

What next? We will take our time to identify a pet insurance that receives more positive reviews. Our cats are still young - now 7, 5 and 3, we feed them well, and are happy to take our chances at this stage. If and when we take new pet insurance, we will ensure that a baseline medical assessment is completed within the indicated time, and that the invoice/receipt for these assessments is separate from any procedures needed. We will also check reviews on websites such as this.

Petplan Company Information