1.96/5

Need a pet insurance provider?

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Need a pet insurance provider?

Petplan Reviews

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

How much are you willing to spend to make sure your four-legged baby is healthy, happy, and safe? I'm glad I don't know the answer - because it's probably everything in my savings account, all my credit cards, and my right arm. I still have both arms and no debt thanks to Petplan's coverage of my beloved puppy. Brody, less than two years old, is suffering from a serious muscular condition that has caused him intense pain, exhaustion, and muscle-atrophy all over his body. He is the happiest dog on earth, and it has been awful to watch. Unfortunately, he did not respond well to the usual treatment options and after almost two months of trying different things, we eventually ended up in the emergency room.

After a couple days in the hospital and a neurological consultation, Brody is on a revised "get healthy" plan and improving slowly each day. Between the vet visits, the recurring bloodwork, the prescriptions, anesthesia for exams (too painful to do without), a cancelled vacation due to emergency treatment needs, emergency room bills, and everything else that may be coming our way, we were (and are) looking at thousands of dollars in care. PetPlan has been there since Day One.

When Brody first received a diagnosis, I called Petplan to make sure I understood where we were headed financially. The first thing the person asked me was, "How are you and Brody holding up?" That's how all my interactions with Petplan have gone - they ask first about our well-being, then answer any questions openly, honestly, and quickly (I've never waited to speak to a real person).

The most recent time I spoke with a Petplan representative, I called in a panic because the bill for Brody's emergency room visit and subsequent hospital stay was a big burden and the hospital refused to work with Petplan for payment directly (they required it upfront). The person I spoke to at Petplan - once again, asked how Brody was doing - and then assured me that she understood the issue completely and would do everything she could to get the claims expedited. They were approved and a check was in the mail within 48 hours of that conversation.

I can't say enough positive things about my experience with Petplan, and I hope this story encourages you that it's the right option. I know other doggie-parents who have had very different situations, and I am so glad that Petplan has never asked me to choose between Brody's well-being (or even his life) and my financial stability.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I was nearing the end pretty tough overseas work trip when my friend who was dog-sitting my pet Barkley texted me saying he was at the Vet/ER because Barkley broke his leg. I called the vet immediately and was told it was a bad break, definitely required surgery and it had to happen ASAP. I honestly thought he might lose his leg. The doctor was upfront and told me this could cost as much as 6k. When I said I had pet insurance she was relieved for me and Barkley and said she tells everyone it's a must have for pet owners. She's right. Barkley is getting the care he needs to recover and Petplan is really coming through.

This was the first claim I filed so I was a little overwhelmed with the process at first but they are very reachable, kind and understanding over the phone and they walked me through every step of the process. Having pet emergencies is undeniably stressful and this was no different but it's nice to know Petplan was there for me and Barkley to make this whole thing a little bit easier. I highly recommend Petplan to owners.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Petplan is a lifesaver! They are a great company to work with and I’m so glad I found them to protect my fur babies. They always respond to inquiries timely and are extremely friendly and helpful. All claims I’ve ever submitted have been reviewed when promised or faster. They’ve always paid what the policy says they will. They don’t try to overreach known conditions to get out of covering other ones. And although when I pay my vet bills the workers always grumble a little when I mention insurance, my vet and hospitals have never expressed any issue working with this company when documentation is needed. It’s very easy to see what will be covered – pick your limit, pick your deductible, pick your co-payment % and done. And their terms and conditions are very easy to read and follow. Anyone considering paying for pet insurance should be getting annual well visits for their pet anyway.

Why pet insurance? Why Petplan? I’ve had two cats and both turned out to have undiagnosed genetic deformities in their internal organs that eventually turned into serious medical conditions. Once the trouble started, diagnosis and treatment cost thousands of dollars. Because of Petplan I never had to say no to any of the recommended treatment because I knew they had my (and my kitty’s) back. They cover hereditary conditions and chronic conditions as long as the condition had not manifested itself and was not detectable when the policy began. And they pay what the vet charges – no fee schedule and no different coverage for regular vets vs. hospitals. Those things distinguish Petplan from other companies offering similar products.

Read the fine print when you compare companies. If you are looking for insurance to cover well visits, then this is not the company for you. However, if you’ve ever had your feline best friend act normal one day and be on death’s door the next, you know how stressful it can be worrying about your pet and how you are going to pay for his or her medical care. And medical care for pets is expensive! Petplan provides great coverage, excellent service and offers very reasonable premiums. If you are looking for an accident and illness policy to cover your cat or dog, I highly recommend Petplan.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Our 10.5 year old dog, whom we've had since a puppy, had a huge tumor removed from his abdomen in late October of 2018. That diagnosis, surgery and follow-up was extremely expensive. When the tumor was found, it was difficult to say whether it was malignant or benign. The alternatives were to let it kill him or remove it and determine if it was malignant or put him down immediately. Without Petplan, that decision would have been much more difficult. But, with our $500 and 10% co-insurance it was a no-brainer. The tumor was removed and unfortunately the biopsy revealed it was a slow growing sarcoma with a high mitotic rate, meaning it would return. However, immediately after the surgery and short recuperation time, our dog was back to being energetic and like a puppy again. He had more energy and was so much happier.

Then we had another decision to make - how do we treat the cancer, if we treat at all. We consulted with an oncologist and was told if we did nothing the tumor would return in about 4 months and we'd be back to where we started prior to the surgery. However, if we treated him with an aggressive chemo regimen we could stall the growth significantly and possibly prevent re-growth for 12-18 months. Thanks to Petplan, this was another easy decision. We opted for the chemo and are enjoying the extra time with our almost 11 year old "puppy." He is having no ill side effects from the treatments. His appetite is amazing and he's more active than he has been in years. He's happy and he looks great.

When all is said and done, the cost of the diagnosis, surgery and cancer treatments is projected to be about $11,900. Petplan's coverage will be about $10,000 and our out of pocket will be approximately $1,900. I should also mention that in 2015 our dog needed Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy for a blown ACL and that cost was around $5,500, of which $4,400 was covered by Petplan.

Yes, we have been paying premiums for over 10 years and yes, the premiums rise dramatically as the dog got older. However, we have accomplished several things - 1) we have taken out the financial factor in the decision making process and 2) we do not have to pay out large lump sums of money at one time. Just the monthly payments and 3) during the term of the policy we will have received benefits that are far in excess of the premiums paid. #3 will not always happen. If it did then Petplan would be out of business. But, that's what insurance is about - reducing your risk of catastrophic payments and giving you peace of mind. In our case, it is also allowing us to spend amazing quality time with our dog and prepare for his inevitable demise while keeping him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you Petplan.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have had all of my dogs insured with Petplan for nine years. Due to this fact I am "grandfathered" into the older style policies with per condition deductibles. Since four of my dogs are 13 years old and the youngest one is 10 years old I file many claims. My policies recently renewed and I am tracking claims as I meet the deductible for each condition. I've had issues with one of the dog's claims as he has four chronic conditions and I was getting frustrated until I reached Stacey ** when I called. She was outstanding-- listened to my prior experience calling in, checked on the status of each issue, repeated my concerns back to me to make sure she understood everything and vowed to follow through until they were resolved.

With the exception of one customer service representative I have always been pleased with Petplan. But Stacey went above and beyond-- a true asset to Petplan. I will always have dogs in my life and will always insure them with Petplan. Thank you for allowing me to care for their medical needs regardless of the cost. And thank you Stacey for taking care of my claims.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I've had PetPlan for 10 years. No claims. Finally had a claim for $880. I have a $500 deductible - and then pay 30%. Well, I was surprised when they sent me a check for $88. It's their tricky reimbursement scheme on how you get paid. I called and they explained it. I'm sure it's all in the small print. Bottom line: They are NOT there when you have pet expenses. (BTW: my premium- which I am cancelling - is $1200 a year. It goes up every year your pet gets older). PetPlan your plan stinks.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I had heard about Petplan from other people and thought that their structure was credible and straightforward to work with. Their reimbursement format is sketchy. I had insured our cat (30$ per month) and had incurred over 600$ in bills from two vet visits. When submitted for claims, they got rejected missing documents which I had already uploaded online. Customer support is extremely unhelpful and does not clarify what they need to process the claim. We are doing okay for where we are and honestly it's not worth the hassle haggling with petplan if you can look at alternatives which work with vets directly.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I had Petplan for almost three years. My three year old English Bulldog started acting weird,( unsteady gait, not eating or drinking, sleeping all the time) and just not acting like himself. We took him to the vet for these symptoms. Because of his gait, we took him to the vet that did the surgery for both of his ACL repairs. We thought maybe he tweaked his leg. Given meds and the diagnosis of inner ear infection. $600 Two weeks go by, not much improvement, but eating in his own. We take him to the emergency room when he actually stumbles out our door and falls on his face. They diagnosed him with vestibular syndrome, gave him some more meds and sent him home. $1100 No improvement. Took him to his regular vet. He says he needs to see a neurologist since they cannot figure out what the issue is that is plaguing him. Maybe a stroke, encephalitis, or worst case a brain tumor. Took him 45 minutes away for an MRI.

Two hours later a phone call that our three year old English Bulldog has a brain tumor. They offer us two solutions, chemotherapy or put him to sleep. Chemo would buy him 1 month...maybe. I could not put my sweet boy through this and as painful as it was come to the decision to let him go . We where devastated. That was August 8, 2019. On September 16, 2019, we received our final check. We had to fight for the money we were rightfully owed. My husband and I called every other day to see what excuse they had to decline our claims. They said that because his gait was off, it was reasonable to believe that it was from his ACL’s. I was ok with this explanation until I got the fateful diagnosis. I sent them an appeal, MRI results and they still denied. Sent them statements from all three doctors, still denied.

After screaming and yelling we finally got a portion back. Let me be very clear, I do not have a money tree in my yard and I do not have a multitude of funds to spend. I do take pet ownership very seriously and would have done anything for our Bubby! We loved him deeply. In fact, within one year, we spent more on our beloved puppy than we did on our daughters private college education! My husband is disabled and gets paid once a month, I get paid every other week. We are regular people that thought buying pet insurance would be smart. The way they spoke to my husband and the excuses they came up with were ludicrous and insults my intelligence. The woman on the phone actually tried to argue that it was a preexisting condition. I am a medical biller and coder. I know what a preexisting condition is and I know how insurance works. In the end, if we ever decide to purchase a new pup, rest assured that we will not get Petplan!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I have an almost 3 year old mixed breed who needs costly TPLO surgery. Petplan decided because she dug a hole as a pup, hurt her other leg (no confirmed issues, resolved in 2 days, no symptoms since) it is “pre-existing” and denied everything. No issues with the affected leg. Customer service was rude and will not allow an appeal of claims. Go elsewhere for insurance. This company is terrible.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

My West Highland White Terrier, was insured with Petplan for many years. At age 2 1/2 she had surgery for luxating patellas and crashed. After several months of trying to figure out what was going on, she was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that resulted in IBD and arthritis. We were so happy to have Petplan to help us keep her healthy and happy. As she aged her issues necessitated a lot of medical care including physical therapy to keep her muscles from atrophying. Petplan continued to be there to cover her many expenses. Prior to her 14th birthday they let us down in a shocking change in coverage. The Petplan policy we paid for had unlimited coverage, $100 dedicate per illness and 10% co-pay.

In August, 2019, the new policy went into effect and limits coverage to $15,000 per year, $750 per illness deductible and has a 30% co-pay. While the premiums went down significantly, it was in no way proportional to the drastic change in coverage. They gave us no choice in what coverage we could purchase - it was this lousy coverage or nothing. I suppose they hoped we would walk away. This from a company that told us that we could keep the coverage we purchased as long as we paid our premium.

In a recent chat with this company as a prospective client, they continued to provide what appears to be deceptive information about coverage for aging pets. The following statements are from the chat: Me: "So, I can keep the coverage I purchase throughout the life of my pet, regardless of any health issues or the amount of money PetPlan has had to pay out?" Pet Plan Response: "Yes. Per our terms and conditions, the coverage can be changed but you would be notified before that occurred. It would be in a very rare circumstance, like a change of underwriter for example."

In the current situation, I was no advised of any change in underwriters. So, as when I purchased the policy, they are still letting consumers believe that they will let you keep the policy you purchased for the life of the pet - except for "very rare" circumstances, which according to the chat would not include high claims. You be the judge and jurying and decide if you want this company to protect your pet. Ask a lot of questions and force yourself to read through the fine print in the policy, regardless of the company. If you need a lawyer to read the policy I suggest you go elsewhere.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky