1.46/5
Based on 26 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a pet insurance provider?

27 Petplan Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We started with Petplan in April 2016. In March 2016 we took our dog to our veterinarian and during the visit she had some irritation on her nose and would scratch and rub. The vet stated that it could be dermatitis or allergies. We later had other unrelated digestive issues with our dog and they covered those claims. The skin issue worsened and we finally had a biopsy conducted in June 2017. The results pointed to an autoimmune disorder, possibly discoid lupus. The insurance company covered the testing!

Fast forward 6 months later and she was treated again for the same condition at the vet and the claim was denied. They stated that she showed signs of the condition way back in March 2016. We had her treated again in May of 2018 and again by a dermatologist in July. We are out over $800 and the claims have been denied, citing pre-existing condition. They covered the biopsy though in June 2017. When I brought this up, they stated that that claim was paid in error. After many frustrating phone calls and a resubmission of the claim, they still refuse to treat her condition. Our vet tried to call and no one returned her call. We have cancelled our policy. I don't need the frustration and would be better off putting money aside for our dog for any further treatment she may need. I have nothing good to say about Petplan.

Original review: July 30, 2018

The Ashtons sell Pet Insurance. I thought it best for EVERYONE to know they are stealing from people. I met my deductible and moved then six weeks later I was told I "Un-Met" my deductible. This is not the only incident I've had with Petplan and I am not the only one. People like to report on just "How wonderful" business people they are but no one talks about the stealing and the "ripping off" of people that people like the Ashtons do and their uneducated staff who make about 8.00 an hour do not know how business works. Stay away from Petplan and find another reputable company.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2018

When I first enrolled in Petplan, they offered a "per condition" $200 deductible with 100% reimbursement. At first, that seemed appealing, as who wouldn't want to get 100% back on what was laid out. Once in the policy, a year after, their underwriter changed, and policies were put into a regular $250 deductible (on any condition) and policy holders could choose 80-90% reimbursement. I, was not one of those people who were offered this change in policy as my pet, unfortunately was diagnosed with a liver mass and now is considered a per-existing condition.

I feel Petplan and their underwriters are now robbing me blind. Since I am in a new "policy" year, every time I submit a claim to pet plan, I am DENIED, why? Because although my vet bills are sometimes $200 plus, the underwriters break it down PER CONDITION. That means, I am spending HUNDREDS of dollars at the vet and getting NONE in return unless EACH CONDITION my dog is seen for reaches $200 EACH. Sounds crazy, right? The unfortunate part is, I am not able to cancel the policy and enroll her in a straight deductible policy because she has what is now per existing conditions and I was informed that because there are many claims on her policy, she won't ever go into a straight deductible policy.

Shame on you Petplan, when you're supposed to be offering assistance, the shady policy practices are putting me in debt. I have 2 other pets enrolled and my other pet was put into the same PER CONDITION policy upon her renewal with a $350 PER CONDITION deductible that once I realized what had been done, you will not allow me to change. Instead, you want me to cancel my policies and start over. I am incredibly disgusted by this companies policies and feel others should know of this shady practice.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been with them over 2 years, recently my pet got urine blockage and spent $7000 but this company refused the claims because we didn't do check up every year as the reason they told which I didn't get any mentioned before as their term and policy (Hidden clause). I told them even we do check up every year won't find out urine blockage which happened as emergency and we insured over 2 years. But they still refuse to pay. I think they only want collect money. Won't want to pay. STAY AWAY.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It looks like their goal is collect claims and pay nothing. As I have read in other reviews, they consider a UTI at any time in a pet's life to be a pre existing condition. They are horrible to deal with, go somewhere else or budget money in an account. Petplan has been a waste of my money and my animal is healthy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petplan?

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have been a PetPlan customer for many years and paid my premium on time every year. Last year, PetPlan changed their underwriter and as a result my premiums went sky-high and because my dog is a senior dog, I have no recourse to get another policy and have to accept their capricious decision. What makes matters worse, is that if I was a new customer, my policy would be about 200 dollars less, per year, even for the same age and type dog. To make matters worse, when I went to change my policy at the time of renewal, I was given a quote, only to find out that they billed my account for a higher amount. When I called to inquire, they acknowledged this, but then billed me for a "change fee" instead of taking responsibility for their error. I am so disappointed in this company and would not recommend them to anyone for a variety of reasons noted above.

Original review: May 22, 2018

After I lost 3 cats to expensive health conditions prior to my current cats, I thought that insurance made sense to help pay the bills. I signed with Petplan when they were young, and at first this company was great. However, the way this company now operates is just plain wrong. It's robbery. It's insensitive. Don't do it. My advice: Read the fine print with any insurance company. And don't expect that what you buy today will stay the same. If they change owners/underwriters, it will change. My cats are older now and have pre-existing conditions, so I can't switch. My choice is to keep paying these crooks or go without insurance and hope for the best. I'm still deciding which is worse.

PetPlan used to be a good insurance company that paid their claims and charged a reasonable amount. They changed underwriters a few years back. When they did that, they charged a lot more and covered a lot less. They pay BY THE CONDITION, EACH plan year. It's not a yearly inclusive deductible, so don't be fooled. One of my cats has 3 conditions. They put the $300 deductible against EACH condition. So, though I've spent over $1,000 on this one cat, and $447 on one condition alone during this current plan year, they have paid me a grand total of $13.17.

Yet I've paid out hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars to this insurance company in the past 9 years. The right thing to do when they changed underwriters would have been to grandfather-in existing customers with older cats and dogs, but they didn't. The people who answer the phone are nice, but they can't do anything about this. I would not recommend this company.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Petplan are total thieves when it comes to making an insurance claim. After being with them for three years and paying a $300 premium a year, both my claims got denied. They use any tiny loophole they could find to deny you your claim. First, I took my pet for a urinary tract infection. I submitted the claim which was around $260. They denied it because they classified it as pre-existing condition. I asked them how is the urinary tract infection a pre-existing condition? When it can be triggered by anything! New environment, stress, new family member, change of food etc. They said because I told the Vet that he got it once last year (before signing up with them) and the vet wrote it down, then it is considered pre-existing.

Second, I took my pet again this year because he could not walk. I submitted the claim, they told me they denied it AGAIN because on their Terms and Conditions, on their 12* page there is a small sentence (You might need your glasses for this) that after you sign up with them, the pet needs to have a complete check up and bloodwork 30 days before or after signing up with them. I told them yes, my pet did have a complete bloodwork and exam, and the guy tells me, “Sorry, that was 32 days ago, not 30, if you had read the terms and conditions then you would have known”. I was like, you have to be ** kidding me! For two days difference!!!

And they said “Yes, it’s in the policy and it’s not our fault when customers do not read the Terms & Conditions, oh and by the way like your pet’s leg was in pain, we wrote it down as arthritis so if your pet ever again has arthritis or urinary tract infection it won’t be covered because they are now considered pre-existing conditions as the exam your pet took now, would be the exam that we take as the “1st exam” as proof as your pet’s condition when you signed him up." It’s 2018 and I signed up in 2016!!! These people are a joke!! And it’s not the first time I read or hear them denying claims for loopholes that they find on their terms and conditions. Here is the thing, if you DO sign up with Petplan, 1st, DO NOT tell any pre-existing conditions to your vet, or make comments like, “Yeah, this has happened before” or “I treated him before for this” as the Vet will write it down on the Medical Records and this will screw you over.

Act like your pet has NEVER had the condition when you take him to the vet, or if you start the plan, go to a NEW vet so they don’t link him with the pre-existing condition. Do not tell ANYTHING to your vet that you think it’s going to hurt the insurance claim, as it’s going on the Medical Record. It kind of feels like the Vet and the Insurance Plans work together. Also, have the pet evaluated 30 days or less after getting the plan, don’t wait 32 days like me, as your insurance claim will be denied and that first illness automatically claimed as a pre-existing condition.

Third advice, READ READ READ the Terms of Conditions over and over as they do have a couple of loopholes. Like if your vet says he needs this vaccine and you think he does not, and your pet does not get it, the Plan will call the vet’s office and if your pet’s illness months later have SOMEWAY of being part of not taking that vaccine that your vet recommended? DENIED DENIED DENIED!

Original review: May 2, 2018

Insurance refused to cover the vet bill under the allegation that vomit and diarrhea are pre-existing conditions, because my dog had the same symptoms eight months ago. It’s absurd to consider vomit and diarrhea as a condition, when they are symptoms of different diseases. In most of the cases when a dog becomes sick, it will present vomit and diarrhea as the first symptoms.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Had plan for 9 months. I sent in my first claim. After 3 weeks, they said they asked my vet for more information. They did not. They said they'd resend the request, they have not. Then they requested blood work results, there was no blood work for this visit. Then they wanted my dog's history. I asked them why, we adopted him less than a year ago. So now they want his adoption info. I asked them what I submitted when I enrolled him in the plan. Nothing back yet, but I know I am getting the runaround and they have no intention of paying this small claim for $155.90.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had insurance for Lucky since 2009. I compared many pet insurance companies. I liked other ones more than PetPlan but I couldn't afford them. PetPlan is a nightmare. Every time I submitted information, they wanted more. This isn't included, that isn't included is what I kept hearing. When your cat is sick or worse, the last thing I want to do is tons of paperwork and phone calls. In March, I needed to put my cat to sleep. I called to inform them and on a 985.00 invoice, I received a check for 81.00. The man I spoke with said he would cancel my insurance and reimburse me for the time left on the policy.

I received my credit card statement. I wasn't reimbursed for anything plus I was charged for the next three months for a cat who is no longer alive! I keep getting emails from PetPlan that suggests my cat is still alive. I just got off the phone yet again with PetPlan and the representative asked me how Lucky was doing. Dead. That's how he is! I'm so upset about having to put him to sleep and a company who should be making it easier is making it worse! I would NEVER recommend a pet insurance policy from PetPlan. Never!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Enough is enough. Take a look at the cost record for my cat since 2013, keeping in mind the deductible is PER CONDITION, not per billed year: Year Cost per year Deductible Co-pay 2013 $202.09 $200 10%. 2014 252.61 200 10%. 2015 315.76 200 10%. 2016 394.70 200 10%. 2017 538.33 500 20%. 2018 565.13 500 20%. I've never had a big event, have had very small reimbursements (for inexpensive meds, mostly), and yet it's gone up $363 in 5 years, or an average of $72/year. They blamed the last jump on a new insurance underwriter, I blame it on greed. Do yourself a favor, shop around. A lot. Look at other pet insurance companies, look at the Care Card if it's something you think you can handle without getting into financial trouble. ANYTHING but Petplan.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Service operators are either poorly trained or will tell you anything. I asked, "After you meet your deductible what do you pay? 80?" "Of everything else" was the answer. Well the correct answer is "after the deductible for each illness or what they classify as each illness or occurrence" they pay. HUGE difference! Don't rely on what they say before you sign up. Also. The price they give you in your renewal letter means Nothing! They charged my bank account $200.00 more. DISHONEST People. A tech at one the vets asked me if I had trouble with them paying claims. I should have seen that as a red flag.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

Having three dogs I was told years and years ago that I was entitled to the £1 per month discount, equaling £12 per year off each dogs policy. The first year when I got a renew for one dog (as they had different policy numbers as they were insured at different times), I phoned and queried why it had gone up so much, and they said, as they do every year, that vet's fees had gone up, which they do not every year. I then asked if my multi pet discount had been taken off the premium, and they said it had not, not because it does not come off automatically, but you have to ring, and request if off, every year to get it.

How many people know that, and do they assume that the multi pet discount is automatically taken off each year at renewal. That means that millions of people have not been get this discount for years and years, unless they are aware, as Petplan do not tell you this when you open the policy. This means that Petplan have made millions by not, not, paying people the multi pet discount they say you are entitled to. Even this year, again, I phoned and asked for this discount to be taken of the renewal, and yet again, they had to send me an amended renewal with this discount now off. They have know this for years, but on the phone, each year they say that they are looking into it. They have been scamming millions of pet owners every year. If people find out about this, and claim their discounts, all they will do is increase the premium anyway by the same amount, and say it is because vets fees have increased. This is fraudulent in my view.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Our 7-year old dog developed a serious medical problem in December. She was in and out of two Vet Hospitals as she needed special care. The bills were tremendous. Unfortunately, she didn't survive. The total bills were over $12,000. We started submitting the bills before she passed away, and then the final bills. I had collected all the medical records too and after contacting Pet Plan about why were things taking so long, I found out that they had called the various vets for the records instead of getting them from me. (I don't understand that as per my claim submission, I told them I had them and was waiting for them to contact me to fax all the many documents.) Anyway, after I learned that, I faxed all the medical records to them.

Within a short time, Jan. 22nd, they issued the settlement checks to me for 80% of the bills, less the $600 deductible, and only did not pay for two minor things. Although we'd rather have our beloved dog back, having them pay almost all the bills, is a great relief as we maxed out a couple of credit cards for her. Great company, open 24-hrs for calls, and responsive when I contacted them. I definitely will use them when we get another dog, and am already recommending them to friends and family.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I got insurance the day I picked my puppy up from breeder. Two days later she had her first vet appointment. She was healthy but small. She gained weight then. At age one they discovered she had a liver shunt when doing blood work for spay surgery. Petplan denied the claim saying she was a tiny puppy at the first visit. They said this was preexisting. They knew she would die without surgery but did not care. They are very insensitive.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We've had PetPlan for over two years now. I chose them because they were the best-rated in my research at the time. Our dog is about four years old now. We've submitted several claims and have been reimbursed for all of them at the rates we expected. PetPlan has gone through two or three underwriters in the past five years. They have to have an underwriter for their insurance, and the underwriter to some extent dictates what they can do. They have to make more money than they put out. They have to or we won't be able to buy pet insurance.

We've paid about $75/month for the past two years, but we've gotten over $2200 in reimbursements. If everyone did that all the time, there would be no money left. No one would operate a business that does that, unless it's a charity. I wish they would! But they won't. So if they get too many people like us, they have to raise rates, lower coverage, lower customer service or deny claims. It seems that PetPlan chooses to raise rates and also offer lower coverage if you prefer that.

If you get pet insurance, you HAVE TO read your policy and DO WHAT THEY REQUIRE! If you don't, you are paying for nothing. You HAVE TO take your pet to the doctor each year, and you HAVE TO have your pet examined at the beginning of the insurance coverage, or PetPlan can say your pet had preexisting conditions. If you had an exam with no problems, it shows that there were no preexisting conditions. You HAVE TO keep your pet vaccinated and protected from fleas, ticks and heartworm, or they won't pay for treatment of any related conditions. There are waiting periods to ensure that people don't suddenly get pet insurance only when their pet gets sick, which would raise insurance costs for everyone, even though some people have been paying for years but never made any claims.

All this is on the website, in the FAQs and in your policy. If you get the insurance as early as possible it will save you a lot of money and hassle (and maybe heartache) in the long run. I know that isn't possible for everyone (it wasn't for me when my cats got sick). But if it is for you, get it as early as possible. It seems like most of the bad reviews are for this kind of stuff which is the buyer's responsibility, versus the company being sneaky or dishonest, labeling everything as a preexisting condition, etc. They don't seem to do that.

I really like PetPlan. We've had some hitches with them (like a delayed reimbursement when my vet's office didn't fax the entire chart) but it all worked out. If you look at PetPlan vs Trupanion, Trupanion's rating is higher, but the content of the reviews is kind of scary. PetPlan's bad reviews are about disclosed policies that anyone can go look at and plan for. Trupanion's bad reviews are mostly about them denying legitimate claims. Like, because a dog ate a sock as a puppy, that's a preexisting condition for when the dog ate a toy as an adult. That's crazy. My dog has eaten several things that she shouldn't have, and I think that's the only thing we've made claims on. PetPlan covered every incident.

Negatives about PetPlan: *Cost goes up with your pet's age, inflation and local "market conditions" (Trupanion's goes up with inflation and market but not age). You can get a vague idea of the cost of PetPlan insurance in the future by requesting a quote for your dog at 13 years old. Ours would be $800/ month. :( *You have to pay the full amount upfront and then get a reimbursement (Trupanion pays directly at clinics they've made agreements with, if you can find one). We had to pay $1900 at the emergency hospital, and it could have been more than that. It was a total fluke that I had the money. If you don't have an emergency fund, a generous relative or a credit card, you may be unable to use the insurance at all.

*The deductible is per illness/incident, per year. So if your pet has diabetes, you'll have to pay the deductible each year. If your diabetic pet hurts its paw, you'll pay the deductible for diabetes treatment, then pay it again for the paw. Trupanion has a per-condition deductible. You just pay it once. But again, they have ways of avoiding covering things (based on experiences I've read about), so I'm not sure what's actually cheaper. *You can't upgrade after you've made even one tiny claim, even if it was for something like a bump or scrape that won't continue in the future.

Positives about PetPlan: *They're honest. *They seem to cover just about every claimed injury or illness as long as it isn't legitimately a preexisting condition. They have for us, and the reviews I've read seem to confirm it. Trupanion seems to try to weasel out of what they agreed to cover. Every company has to try to make more than they spend, and I think PetPlan does that by raising prices with age, but Trupanion does it by charging more at a younger age, then not paying for things they should. *Similar coverage for a younger dog is like 40% less than it is with Trupanion. *They cover exam fees (that is, the fees count toward the deductible; many other companies don't include them). *They have great 24/7 customer service. You can call them at any time and talk to someone in the US who's totally fluent in English.

I don't know what I'm going to do when the insurance gets too expensive. I started looking around because I wanted to get something that would stay affordable as my dog ages. But I'm afraid to go to Trupanion because of the horror stories I've read. I live chatted with a PetPlan rep, and she said I could lower my coverage as needed to make the payments more affordable, but if my dog has a condition in the future, that may cost more. It's like a lottery. But for now I think it's best to stay with PetPlan.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have 4 dogs insured for over 4 years and during this time insurance premiums continue to go up. I have 2 that are brothers so I called and they offered to switch to a annual deductible on one but not his brother! The reason was a previous claim. That makes no sense considering they changed to a annual deductible on my other 2 dogs who are sisters but one had previous claims. This was when they hiked up premium amounts before I've had this insurance for over 4 years on all 4 dogs and if they are going to change the way they pay and continue to increase amounts they should have at least offered to change coverage on all 4. Not pick and choose as they see to.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

So we have 2 cats, cover both, but guess what? They won't cover your pets, you can pay for months and if they happen to not have vet records in the past 2 years, then you're out of luck. What bothers me is that they should require the vet records to begin a policy and not spring that on a policy holder after they have been paying for a policy they have no intention of paying out on. Basically, the policy is buyer beware. That is no way to run a reputable business. If they would have simply said that from the start, then I wouldn't have felt I paid for months of coverage for nothing. Don't accept a customer's money if they haven't met the requirements to begin the policy. Look out for your customers. Don't let that happen to them. How many policy holders are left paying for premiums for a policy that will not cover their pets? Shameful.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Thousands of $$$ spent on my Boxer girl with a $200 deductible and 80% coverage, as my policy dictates. I called to open a claim while standing by my fax machine and was told I no longer had to fax the vet's invoice, that Petplan would contact the vet and obtain all records and invoices. That Petplan rep never logged my call... no record. I contacted them again in May and a woman told me exactly the same procedure and not to worry Petplan would take care of it ALL. It is now the end of August. I just put the phone down after being told a claim was never opened since I didn't fax them any invoices! Don't trust Petplan. I have 3 dogs and Petplan will now only insure my girl with pre-existing. I am looking for a new insurer for my others.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I was happy until I had to put a claim in. After sending it in two times and contacting customer care 3 times, I finally got a denial for my claim. What they fail to tell you (if you don't know to click on 5 different links to see this information) there is a two week waiting period before they will cover you. So you pay for almost half a month for your policy but you cannot use it. But they do send you an email as soon as they take your money to let you know you are covered. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I have been policyholder since 2007 with two pets, now three. Premiums went up each year, but that was expected. However, this year the company changed underwriters, and premiums exploded with deductibles going up for the same premium price. I could almost put the money I spend on premiums in a pet medical savings account and come out ahead. The thing that has put me over the edge, however, is a major change in upgrades. Before, you could downgrade your coverage anytime, but only upgrade to higher coverage at contract renewal date, which was understandable. However, with the new underwriter, you can only upgrade at the initial new contract renewal date; basically, it's now or never. This was not communicated in any shape or form to current policyholders; I found out the hard way!

New contract was not mailed to current policyholders and could only be found online, if you had a reason to look. Current policyholders were never told to check the policy for changes or given summary of changes; in fact, we were told if we were happy with what we had, do nothing (does this sound familiar?). I had always recommended Petplan to others before, but no more. There has got to be more affordable coverage out there, but I have older pets with health issues so pre-existing conditions are a big detriment to me. I will not insure any new pets in the future.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Bunch of liars. I was a member of Petplan Insurance and wanted to cancel my membership. I called on December 13, 2016, to Petplan Customer Service and canceled. I was told I would receive a pro-rated amount back onto the payment method that Petplan was using to withdraw the money from my account. NEVER HAPPENED. A couple of weeks later, on December 27th, 2016, Petplan debited my checking account AGAIN, even though the plan had been canceled. This incurred an overdraft fee of $30.00. I called Petplan and spoke with Jenny, who apologized, and agreed the policy was indeed canceled on December 13th, 2016. She told me to attach proof of the overdraft fee and they would take care of that as well. I did so within a few minutes of our phone conversation.

So, a couple of weeks go by, now it's approaching the one month mark. I called and spoke to a Petplan rep, and she said that 2 gift cards for $25.00 each were sent to me for the overdraft inconvenience, and I should be receiving the money in my bank account. A few days later, after nothing showing up in the mail or in my bank account, I emailed Jenny at Petplan, and told her perhaps the money didn't go into the account at the bank because my debit card expired 12/31/16, gave her the updated expiration code, and asked her to find out. She emailed me back, and said the accountant said it never went into my account, due to the card expiring, so they would send a check, for $58 and change, so I said, "Ok thanks."

That was two weeks ago, still waiting on the check and gift cards. I emailed Jenny on Sunday, this past weekend, and never got a response. I called the Customer Service line yesterday and was told a supervisor would be calling me back, which, guess what? NEVER CALLED. I WANT MY MONEY AND THE TWO GIFT CARDS PROMISED TO ME DUE TO THE OVERDRAFT FEE.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Be very careful going with this company. They are trying to claim my pet has a pre-existing condition when my veterinarian wrote and letter explaining how it is not and they will not reimburse me... SCAM!!!! They pay vets to just say whatever they want so they do not have to reimburse you when boarded veterinarians at specialty hospitals say it isn't pre-existing. Don't waste your time appealing either.

Original review: May 27, 2016

I obtain insurance for my dog Aug-2015. As most sales people do they answered all my questions and stated that everything but pre-ex conditions were covered. I said fine. Paid my bill. My dog had an onset new illness. The bill was 325.00. I submitted a claim and 2 years of Medical Records. I received a check for 44.00. I called and they said I have a 200.00 deductible per NEW condition so that means each time I go to the vet IF my dog needs services I have to pay 200.00. I never nor would I ever agree to that. When I first signed up I was supposed to receive a policy. I never did. I eventually did get a copy of the policy but it's so vague. I bought the highest plan they have. Why would I pay for insurance if each time I go I have to pay 200. The average onset illness is 250.00. My dog is very healthy and has his regular maintenance. He has been sick 2 times in 4 years. These people will say anything to get you to sign up. Buyer Beware!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2010

Your article, "Pet Insurance: Is It Worth the Cost?" did not examine PetPlan Insurance (which, in my opinion, is the best of all and the largest worldwide) and glossed over the companies you did talk about. While the article is informative to a degree, it really lacks comparisons. If you're doing an article, you should really compare what you're talking about by using a chart showing what the plans offer and don't to the others with costs.

Original review: May 3, 2010

It was impossible to satisfy the amount of documentation they needed from the vet, there was never enough. Too many phone calls and emails on my part to ask the status and no matter how much information was sent to them from my vet, it was never enough. They never paid one cent on my claim for my dog’s condition. They said it was a pre-existing condition although there was no evidence of this, an unscrupulous company.

Not sure about Petplan?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you.

Petplan expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Drawing on more than 35 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, through their relationship with sister company Petplan UK, Petplan offers policies in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. As the insurer of choice for rescues and animal shelters nationwide, they are an industry leader in the pet insurance space.

• High annual limits: With annual expense reimbursements reaching up to $22,000 per year, pet parents will have access to a high level of care.

• Tiered pricing: Get as much or as little coverage as needed, based on personal circumstances. For those that have access to in-home care, Bronze coverage gives them the same health benefits without the added costs for boarding coverage.

• Customizable coverage: In addition to tiered coverage, there is also considerable customization available. Choose a deductible and reimbursement level based on personal finances and affordability.

• No networks: Petplan policyholders can pick and choose their pet health provider. There are no networks or preferred providers.

• Fast reimbursement: Vet bills can cost thousands of dollars, so quick reimbursement can be crucial. Petplan typically processes and pays out on claims within 14 days.

• Best for: Dog lovers, cat lovers and multi-pet households.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

PA
    19073
    www.gopetplan.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business