1.57/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

Petland Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

After 3 years of searching, ads and the internet, for the perfect puppy mate for my 8 yr old Pomchi, on advice from a friend I decided to look at a store. Why? Online breeders are sketchy liars that have no regulations, answer to no one, and have little proof or promise as to the health and welfare of the animal. I've often heard that puppy mills sell to pet stores and frankly, that is garbage propaganda set up by rescue organizations for their own promotion. I did research. I read reviews, and through personal experience I decided on a little female full blood, pedigree, Long hair Chihuahua. AKC registered too (most breeders don't bother and puppy mills won't spend the money on this.)

Petland, in Overland Park Kansas, allowed me to take my male in with me to pick her out, and they treated us with the greatest of care. Explained everything thoroughly. Answered every question I had and never tried to pressure me or rush me into a decision. The helper, Dean, Explained the process they go through to bring in the pets. Assured me that if she was to get sick, or suddenly die, she would be replaced. I looked at her records. They had weights, shots, temps, everything I could imagine needing. Though the price was a little steep, and I certainly could have knocked off a few hundred by dropping some of the perks, I chose not to.

I was able to get approved for a credit line I can afford to pay off in 2 years, and my home is more complete than it has been in years. I've been criticized for buying a "shop pet", being accused of supporting someone's puppy mill but In all of my research I have not found any possible truth in this statement. Petland really does care about their pets, and though sometimes they have too many puppies in a single cage, the puppies are the happiest and healthiest I've ever seen. I am totally, and gratefully happy with my decision, to buy from them.

NOW, for anyone considering a private breeder. I've done that too. Spent $350 on a yorkie, was lied to about his shot record, he caught or had parvo in less than 5 days and I spent another $1500 trying to save him. The breeder proceeded to move during his 3 day dying period in the hospital. I will always trust Petland over a private breeeder. I accepted the responsibility of what is required of me to fulfill my end of the health contract, and she has already been to the vet twice and deemed very healthy. She is smart, intuitive, and friendlier than any tiny toy dog I've ever seen. She loves all animals and people of every age.

Petland did very well to socialize her and keep her healthy. I've had my little Adrian for 3 1/2 weeks and Rocky loves her. I absolutely recommend Petland to anyone who is on the fence about where to go for a pet. They have a quick credit approval process, and though a puppy may cost you $2800, they give you 2 years to pay it off. It could not be simpler, or more secure when you need the promise of a completely healthy, happy puppy.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Most of these reviews are people complaining because THEY didn’t read their contracts properly, or they want to try and pin things on Petland. Just because your puppy has behavioral issues or health issues doesn’t mean it’s automatically Petland’s fault. Health concerns pop up all of the time at random, Petland cannot control that. Behavioral issues are something you need to work on and train consistently with your puppy to fix-they are not an issue that Petland has control over. And you’re a trash human being for adopting a dog and trying to get rid of it after a few days of behavioral issues, in which case you obviously don’t have the commitment to be getting pets anyway. Pets are family, you can’t just give them up when they become “too difficult” for you. As for the prices and refund policy, IT’S IN THE CONTRACT. READ WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING.

I adopted a Shiba Inu from Petland 2 years ago, and she is honestly better behaved than the male Shiba Inu I got a year ago from a breeder. The worst “health concern” she’s had so far has been an inverted vulva that they can fix with surgery and warned me may cause UTIs in the future, but so far we haven’t had it fixed and she does just fine.

The only reviews on here I agree with is that you should be able to take some things out of the adoption package if you don’t think you’ll be using it, but they are very upfront about what you’ll be getting and what the costs are. So even if they can’t remove certain things from the package, you know what you’re paying for and you knowingly agreed to pay for it. So calling corporate and trying to work the system after you’ve knowingly signed the contract isn’t going to work here, Karen.

Another thing I agree with is that the cages are too small and seeing the puppies in them makes me sad. They do need more room to roam and play, so I am always supportive of that. But implying the dogs are starved? Please. I worked at a doggy daycare where plenty of well-loved and well-fed dogs ate other dogs’ poop, and yes, one of them ate it straight from the dogs’ butts when she realized she would get scolded for it and was trying to eat it ASAP before we could get to her and stop it. My childhood dog growing up would eat his own poop sometimes-something that dogs are known to do out of instinct. Dogs are weird and sometimes gross like that, but it’s not a sign of malnutrition and it doesn’t mean that they’re not being taken care of.

All in all, my experience with Petland-as an owner who read their contract, took on the ownership of a dog responsibly, and didn’t try to swindle the system-was very good and I honestly don’t regret anything about my decision to shop with them, because now I have my beautiful Shiba Inu, Yuki-who gets compliments almost every time I walk her and who is my best friend and a good big sister to her little brother.

Please know what you’re getting into when you buy a dog, and then maybe that $2500 bill when you try to return your new friend from Petland will be a good lesson to you that you can’t just throw away a pet when things get hard. This whole review list (with a few exceptions I’m sure, though none that I’ve seen so far) just sounds like a lot of finger pointing and customers not being able to take responsibility for their own ignorance and laziness. Petland is fine, it’s the customers that suck.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Went to Kennesaw GA to the Petland. Fell in love with this adorable Teacup Yorkshire Terrier. The price was average $5700. I applied for credit in the store and received a instant approval of $7000. We took our puppy home within the hour and bought pet insurance and registered him with AKC. We love our baby boy. He is now 14 weeks.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My husband and I bought Golden Labrador in PetLand. The person Adriana who is consulting and help there, helped us a lot. Was very sincere and nice. It's a clean and good quality place, from our sign. Yes, it was very expensive for us, but, they give financial plan and benefits. We love our new baby and hope everything will be good! :-)

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

My 19 year old mentally unstable sister went to their Pembroke Pines location after the horrible loss of our beloved pet (not purchased here) where they approved her for a 10,000 dog (she makes $9 hr) and took a little French bulldog home. Two days later the pet started having anal bleeding. The dog tested positive for parvovirus, a virus that attacks the white blood cell. The puppy stayed for almost 15 days hospitalized under critical conditions. When I contact Petland they told me it’s a third party (solutions.pet) and I will write a truthful review on their poor customer service after. No one taking ownership at the fact that they sold a 10k to a mental ill girl or the fact that they sell dogs with fatal illness. I regret ever stepping foot in that place.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE! Not only did this all happen but now have a vet bill of 5k and most of all the emotional distress this has taken on my sister. I will get my voice heard and hope no one else gets taken advantage of! You all should be ashamed of yourself and the inappropriate little boys you place in a store manager role who sent explicit texts to my sister's phone. Governor yourself a accordingly as a suit will follow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Let me start off by saying, DO NOT BUY from them. I know it seems like a great deal and you will be so excited to buy your puppy, but don’t do it and please read what I have to say. I want to cover everything I wish I had known before purchasing a puppy and everything I wanted to know after regretting that decision. I have never had a dog before and I live alone. I recently lost my best friend and after a really long time I decided to purchase a puppy from Petland. These people do a great job at selling their product. Everyone in the store was overly nice and did a great job doing their job- selling you a overpriced puppy.

They put you in a cubical with the puppy you choose and leave you there for a really long time to bond to the puppy. Then they eventually come back and you ask how much and they leave for another 15 minutes and finally come back and give you a big speech with a booklet telling you everything the dog comes with. The sell it great- it sounds like a great deal. At the end they drop you with a crazy high price (like $3,000). Well I ended up falling into this and bought a puppy from at that price but I paid for it on a credit card instead of financing it (thank goodness I did, read on).

So they rushed me through the paperwork (READ THE PAPERWORK). They say there is a 48 hour return policy (which of course I didn’t read) that states you can return the puppy if within the 48 hours, but the kicker is that they will only refund you 50% of the puppy price and subtract about $150 for a “microchip fund”. After having this puppy at home with me I sadly realized that my complex would not allow me to keep him. I freaked out and called the store back about 12 hours later then today to ask them about returns, they told me nothing and referred me to a help line.

I called the help line and after about 35 calls someone finally answered and told me that I could return the dog but I would only get 50% back minus a microchip fee. I had no choice at this point so I agreed and she said she had to contact the manager at the store to schedule a drop off time and that she would call me back. Well almost a day later she never called me back so on Sunday I chose to go to the store myself (Sunday would have been my 48 hour mark). I drove to the store with the puppy (and all of the extra stuff he came with, including the crate, etc.) and the manager was there and she said that they never called her and that she would be the return. She then told me about he 50% back thing and I agreed. She did the refund and now I’m laying about $1,700 for a puppy I don’t own. They only care about the money.

I’m heartbroken because I can’t have the puppy and I’m now in debt because I have to pay this money for a puppy I don’t even have anymore. I don’t want others to go through what I went through and the only reason I bought from them is because I didn’t do my research first. PLEASE RESEARCH THESE PEOPLE and DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

I’m sure if you're here you’ve read all the horror stories about sick pets and how they won’t live up to their warranty and I completely believe them because these people screwed me over too, they have really gotten it down to the small print and know how to get their money. Also, IF YOU FINANCE THE PUPPY YOU CANNOT RETURN IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WITH THE 48 HOUR RULE. They will not give you your money back at all in that case.

I really hope I saved someone the heartache I’ve been through and I really hope this place gets shut down in the future. My heart breaks for these animals because they shouldn’t have to be associated with such a terrible business and locked up in those cages all day. I don’t care how many times they clean the cage or what they promise that they do- they are crooks and they shouldn’t be open. I also doubt their puppies are from legitimate breeders. My dog did not look to be a full bred so I doubt it and I’ve heard the same from many other people as well. If you're already trapped in this predicament I’m sorry you didn’t read my review sooner. These people need to be stopped!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

First Off... DO NOT BUY PUPPIES HERE!!! This my detailed experience from Petland. If you'd like to help spread awareness, please LIKE this review and write your own!

1) PEOPLE DESPISE PETLAND. After buying puppies from here and telling people we got them from Petland, many people pointed out that Petland is the WORSE to buy from because people get sick puppies AND the puppies come from PUPPY MILLS. I didn’t know about this stuff till after purchasing two puppies. Please do your research on puppy mills because you'll see the horrible conditions the dogs are kept in which leads to infectious diseases and birthing defects.

2) UNSANITARY CONDITIONS. The puppies we bought from Petland in Waterford Lakes came to us sick! After 2 days of having them they became very ill. Took them to Petlands "Referred Vet” of choice and we’re immediately hospitalized for CORONAVIRUS. Then after 2 days of being quarantined, the Vet called us to pick up the puppies because ALL the pets that they had under care were all infected with coronavirus from PETLAND! Our dogs were what they said, “the healthiest sickest dogs” at the vet and that they needed to send them home to make room for more SICK PETLAND PUPPIES.

3) SICK AGAIN. So after we pick up the dogs from the Vet, we had to administer the medicines ourselves since they were kicked out. We had to give them 5 different drugs TWICE a day to both puppies for 2 WEEKS! So we’re like okay, if this will get them better, we love the puppies. So we do that task for two weeks great, the puppies are looking and seeming better. Now we bring them the day after for their follow-up appointment, just to find out that the puppies started right back up with their symptoms of coronavirus a few days later. After this point, two weeks of medication did not work and therefore my partner and I decided we would not be able to continue the care of sick puppies. We therefore call the owner of this Petland, his name is TJ. We asked for an exchange or return of the puppies and he declined to do so since the pups were not "deemed unfit for sale" and it was out of their two week policy.

4) TERRIBLE OWNER. The owner of this store, TJ had declined any services stating he would do us a "FAVOR" and pay for 2 rounds of their medicine.... WORTHLESS! This is not a favor when you sold us sick puppies! We're making a move now and therefore the dogs would be out of Petlands coverage. So our last stop was to see a VET outside of Petlands coverage and once doing so, the vet deemed the pets unfit for sale UNLIKE the Petlands referred vet did. But it was useless as it already went past their 2 week policy. We refused any "favors" from TJ the owner as he at this point was USELESS and UNHELPFUL in giving us a great experience with adopting puppies.

It was a terrible choice to begin with to adopt from here but it was even more TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE to have dealt with the owner. NEVER AGAIN will we deal with a puppy store. Please buy your pets from a Humane Society or Reknown Dog Breeder! Thank you for reading, I hope this helps someone out there and spread the awareness of Petlands dog abuse and terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

Five years ago we adopted an adorable pug puppy from Petland in Ohio. We fell in love with her from the start. Shortly after coming home, she had blood in her urine and sores on her belly. Her bladder was filled with stones, and she had a drug resistant staph infection called MRSP, which is similar to MRSA. As if this wasn't bad enough, the infection is zoonotic, meaning it can be passed to humans. Pets with MRSP normally don't live long. But we loved her, and fought so hard to make her well. We tried many antibiotics, none of which cured the staph infection. We resorted to an extremely potent antibiotic called "**", which did not kill the infection, although it did damage her kidneys. At the age of 3, the vet said that Polly was living on "bonus time".

We spent many thousands of dollars trying, in vain, to make her well. It was probably sheer love that kept her alive for five years. She died the other day. The infection that we fought so hard to cure finally took her life. In spite of all the worry and heartache, she gave us more love and joy than you can imagine. I can't speak for all the pets, but in our case, our beloved little pug was ill for her entire life. We tried so hard to save her. Family was afraid to come over because they worried they would catch her infection, because as I said, humans can potentially contract it. But we loved her too much to give up on her and we took that chance. Oh how our hearts are broken now. Oh how we miss her.

We would not even consider another pet from Petland, based on our experience. They did refund half of the cost of Polly. But as I said, we spent many thousands in our failed attempt to make her well. Well worth every cent, because the love was tenfold. But we worried about her for five years. We were relentless in trying to find a cure. And now she lies buried beneath a tree in our backyard. It's just devastating. I will miss her for all of my life.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I used to live in Kennesaw and we got our first dog from Petland there, before we knew that they received a lot of their animals from puppy mills. We overpaid for our Yorkie then (back in 2006), and it looks like they're still maaassively over-charging for puppies at this place. I have a Yellow Lab that I got from a BREEDER who charged me less than this dump does for a dog and was UP FRONT about the cost. This chain doesn't even list the prices on their website or in the store. A payment plan option? Are you kidding me?? I'm not buying a car, I'm getting a dog.

The store near my home is small and there's a HELP WANTED sign in the window, despite the fact that there were like, five employees on the floor standing around doing nothing. Their actual supply selection is very minimal and it's clear that the primary goal is to sell dogs that I'm sure they harvest from sketchy mills. The store itself also looks and smells dirty, especially in comparison to Petsmart or PetCo, which offers a lot more in terms of stock and don't actually require you to take out a small loan to adopt a pet. You're better off getting a dog from a qualified breeder or a shelter. You'll spend a lot less money and end up with a healthier animal.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

My grown daughter had wanted a particular dog for a number of years. She periodically visited the available animals at PETLAND. She found her dream dog and was given a high-pressure speech to purchase. We discussed the exorbitant price but was told all supplies were included with the quoted price. HA! We returned the next day and said we wanted the puppy but the same salesperson was not available. The new salesperson took almost 3 long hours to get the info and the papers and double-check with his supervisor, etc. We were tired and confused and just wanted to go home. We were told we needed this and needed that and had all these rules to follow for a special vet to see. Yes, 'buyer beware' should have applied and made us run out the door. But, of course, my daughter was in love with her dream dog.

After we got home, we reviewed the receipt because we had thought we were charged too much. We reviewed how the amount we were charged did not match what we were told was the price to purchase. We had to make a return trip because the cage supplied to us was a returned item with a missing piece. Then they sent us home with a cage for a 100 lb animal instead of what we needed for our 6 lb animal that will only grow to 17 lbs. We questioned the receipt charges and was told we had to come back another day to speak to the same salesperson. We returned the monster-sized cage and ended up with a defective one that we kept anyway. Corporate alleges they looked into our over-charges and said it is a done deal. We were told we needed to purchase bottles and bottles of "necessary" vitamins to adhere to the dog's "warranty" but we do not need them and want to return them.

Corporate says they are not returnable since it was part of the "package" we bought. When a business treats humans this badly, how good do you think they treat animals? PETLAND is staffed by Thieves and Scammers verbally Abusive to Humans (lies are abuse) so we can imagine they treat animals the same way. Instead, visit an animal shelter to adopt or ask your friends and neighbors for a referral to an honorable breeder. STAY AWAY FROM PETLAND! Do not do business with ANDREW in the Fairfield store because he lies and then conveniently "forgets" to give you the written estimate of charges! Do not do business with MARCUS in the Fairfield store because he masks his deceptive lies as just innocent ignorance!

Petland Company Information