2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Petland Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2015

I purchased a 2 month old Yorkie on June 4th 2015, and tried to return the puppy on June 8th. The manager said it was too late that the 48 hours return policy had expire. No one can learn about a dog in 48 hours. I truly feel that it should be a week. Petland throws so much information on you to make a sale. It just isn't fair. The management is nice and funny but the 48 hours should change.

Original review: June 5, 2015

We bought a chihuahua at Petland in Lakeland, Florida. We spent a lot of money on him. The people said he had a health certificate, was healthy, etc. The next day the news headlines read "Petland Owners Arrested" - the owner, Mrs. Carrier and her husband, the vet that certified the pets as healthy, Mr. Carrier! We have had the chihuahua 3 days and spent nearly $200.00 on vet bills and meds for the dog. Unhappy doesn't come close to say how UNHAPPY we are. These people are criminals.

Original review: June 3, 2015

DO NOT GO TO PETLAND!!! I'm seriously livid, more than livid at them! I'm always the type to adopt instead of buy (I HATE supporting puppy mills, but at the same time, these poor babies still need homes too.). Long story short, we end up with an overpriced puppy to begin with. I decide to take her to the vet the very next morning because she had mucus running out of her nose. As soon as the doctor took one look at her he said she needed to be immediately hospitalized! My puppy ended up having to stay there for a week with an upper respiratory infection that was on its way to developing into pneumonia and then potentially death. We only had her from 8pm until 8am the next morning when I took her to the vet. It was such a hard week not knowing what would happen.

THEN, I looked over her "pedigree/lineage" and "breeder" paperwork and I googled the name of the breeders. THEY ARE ON THE 100 WORST PUPPY MILLS IN AMERICA LIST -- complete with a PDF file with all of their disgusting violations!! Seriously this whole thing is a huge scam; NOBODY actually genuinely cares for these poor sick puppies, just making money!! So I felt horrible enough that I "supported" these so-called breeders with spending $2500 on a puppy-- $2700 after tax. And my puppy is already sick again after being out of the hospital for a week and a half. DON'T LET THEM FOOL YOU! We had great customer service, not pushy or anything, however they do make commission (I asked). They rave about "the books" on the dogs (meaning the breeder information and AKC paperwork) but if you google the names it's all just torturous puppy mill BS!

The saddest and most sickening part is that all of these animals have feelings and souls and that is clearly not taken into account at this messed up establishment. Although my puppy has already had health problems, she is the most loving little thing, her personality is awesome, and she really completes my family. I'd like to think that I actually rescued her, because per the vet, she was on the verge of death. I wish I could just get all of the puppies out of this heinous situation at Petland, and take the dollar signs out of everyone's eyes that are involved in this "business". I repeat: DO NOT GO HERE FOR ANY REASON!!

Original review: May 29, 2015

I brought a new family member purchased at Petland last Sunday. Due to a number of red flags and first visit I decided to research not only the store but Petland overall. I became very disturbed by not only what's been said by other customers also by distraught employees. I became very emotional over the possibility of risking the health of my current Boston Terrier, Kurby, from contracting whatever diseases my new Puggle puppy may have. I felt like taking the dog back immediately on Tuesday since Monday was a holiday. Yes, I was in tears and I am a 57 year old adult.

Upon calling store Tuesday a.m. I was told their 48 hour policy is not a 2 day policy but actually to the minute 48 hours. Since I was in Chicago I could never make it in time. Anyway since reading all the stuff I did I decided I did not want to ever step foot in a Petland store or any of its affiliates, which by the way I got at least 4 calls from affiliates wanting to sell me something by preying upon my emotions on the very next day Monday (memorial day of all days). I decided to immediately take new puppy to my own veterinarian for a checkup regardless of voiding the warranty by Petland; which by the way, every single thing said, every question asked, and every piece of paperwork from Petland is designed to make the sale rather than provide the truth.

Looking back even all the different ways which to void their warranty is to make things difficult for the buyer to ever comply. And sure enough my doctor shook his head when reading the vaccines given to this 10 week old puppy needlessly. He also found puppy to be congested along with 104.5 degree temperature which required antibiotics immediately to manage whatever virus puppy is suffering with. I was told virus untreated could be life threatening not only for new puppy but also for my other dog and that I should separate them.

I feel good about not returning puppy since most likely just saved his life. People at Petland appear to be most concerned making the sales and not at all concerned about qualifying the buyer. Im sure they get animals from the cheapest breeders and never the best. They claim to have breeder certification documents which don't mean anything regarding quality of breeder nor the animal's family health history. The place is a joke and I for one out of love for animals am going to exercise my right to free speech to inform all agencies and potential buyers of my experience with Petland including the deceptive sales practices, for example claiming to use only the best breeders with stringent qualifications.

My puppy is now in good hands and will be well taken care of. He was rescued from a money hungry could care less about the truth pet store named Petland. This letter will next be copied to IL State's Attorney Lisa Madigan who represents the consumer against fraud and deception. She has a excellent track record going after companies like this. Again, it appeared to me and by the looks of all these complaints their number one priority is to sell the pet and never qualify the buyer nor provide what they promote, and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Petland if you read this, you don't have to worry about honoring this puppy's warranty. I would not get close to anyone affiliated with your name. My priority is with the puppy and not satisfying your stupid worthless warranty along including your worthless included healthcare... I wont be back... ever!

Original review: May 29, 2015

Petland Bolingbrook, IL - Purchased a shih-poo last week. $1,800.00. The puppy is very sick. I took him to my vet. My vet told me to call Petland. I called and they gave me midwest in Orland Park. Here in the parking lot 30 minutes. The vet is supposed to out to the parking lot. I called claims. You only get a recording to leave a message! This is terrible!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: May 27, 2015

Spent over $2000 for a puppy, was lied to and told they only get puppies from a "hobby breeder" when in fact I researched and found out my puppy came from a notorious mill in Indiana ran by the **! The puppy is also inbred more than once and is shown on their so called "pedigree." The puppy has a very bad upper respiratory infection and has giardia and coccidia and they knowingly sold me a sick dog since one of their workers admitted that an upper respiratory infection was going around their shop (nice, huh?).

I am so furious over this that I will be contacting a lawyer and the Better Business Bureau! This dog is so sick that I fear it may not recover. But not only that. Now, I have to worry about any abnormalities that may arise as a result from inbreeding as well as cancers & hip dysplasia that are very common when that occurs! This is theft by deception! The vet clinic who they send their puppies to admitted that they recently had 2 puppies with parvo, 1 from Bolingbrook Petland and 1 from Naperville Petland......

I own other dogs, how dare they put them at risk! Buyers BEWARE!!! Oh yeah, another thing, they said that in the price, the registration and that puppy stuffed toy is free and included in the price yet they charged an extra $99.00 and it states for registration and that puppy plush stuffed toy... more LIES and DECEPTIONS! And they marked up their dog food abnormally high, much higher than anywhere else yet they claim you MUST buy it through them... ridiculous!

Original review: May 17, 2015

The staff is really rude and honestly they were complete ** especially the chick with piercings all over her ears. The old man always has a damn pissed off look, never smiles. The person in the back of the kennels was screaming at the poor puppies, just mistreating them. Never again will I go there or buy anything from there. I will also let all my friends & family know not to shop there. Worst experience ever.

Original review: May 16, 2015

Lied to multiple times, also our signed contract states our puppy was 949.99, sales rep added $510.00 extra with no explanation. Sales rep said many times over our dog was AKC and several of their own papers said it. AKC says he can't be registered. Owner said "Too ** bad for you, you should have bought a dog from us." We're taking him to court. Please see our page for in depth details, documents, and updates.

Original review: May 7, 2015

My daughter purchased a Maltipoo on a Thursday. They also sold her $1,000 worth of supplies. On Saturday, I went back to the store to return some of the unopened items. They want not give me a refund. Talked with Paw Solutions and they are just as bad. Told me it was out of their hands. Amex has stood up for me and is contesting the charges. I have hired an attorney as nowhere in their contract does it state anything about returning supplies. This is not right BUT I am going to love this fight!! Goodbye Petland...

Original review: May 6, 2015

We went to Petland in Las Vegas, Nevada on with no intent to purchase a puppy. However, as we were browsing, this beautiful little Papillion puppy caught our eye. We visited with her for an extended period of time as well as questioned the employees about the puppies. We had heard that places like these get their puppies from puppy mills, but found it hard to believe that she was one of them. She was very clean and seemed to be extremely happy and playful. The employee ensured us that the stores puppies were healthy and came from private and reputable breeders and that each was researched and recommended by the USDA and AKC as well as that they are periodically visited in order to keep their license.

The following she had greenish colored puss in her eyes as well as a visible worm problem, as she had gone to the bathroom in her crate overnight. We took her to the vet that Petland stated the animal had to be check by that morning, less than 12 hours after purchasing Bella. At West Charleston Animal Hospital, in Las Vegas, Nevada, they examined Bella and determined that she had an eye infection, which he provided us with drops for, as well as an obvious worm infestation. A fecal parasite exam was completed and determined that Bella also suffers from Giardia, which she was also prescribed medication for.

The vaccinations that we were told have been given to Bella prior to purchasing her were not administered by a vet and cannot be proven. The health record that was provided has small writing stating that indicated vaccine(s)/treatment(s) were administered by the breeder prior to purchase of the dog by Hunte Corporation, who is listed as the distributor on the pet profile. Additionally, Petland stated that the puppy was current on vaccinations, which is not the case, due to the fact that we purchased her 5 and a half weeks after she was allegedly vaccinated. Therefore, she not been properly vaccinated while under the care of Petland, and could have been exposed to many illnesses.

Bella was also advertised to us to be AKC-registered and excellent breeding quality. After further review of her AKC paperwork, we have determined that her father was unregistered with the AKC, and was only given an AKC number for identification purposes. There is no proof that this puppy is pure-bred, and therefore is not AKC breeding quality as promised. Bella has had health issues since birth, which the Petland employee stated were all common with toy breeds. After further research, we have found that the open fontanel and inguinal hernia repair that she had were likely due to hereditary issues with her parents. These dogs should not be breeding and should have been fixed.

Additionally, at the time of Bella's inguinal hernia repair, she should have also been fixed, in order to prevent her from reproducing which could not only result in puppies with similar issues, but could also result in health problems and even death if Bella were to ever be pregnant. Bella will need to have another surgery in order to be spayed, which should have been done at the time of her last surgery. However, being spayed, the breeder would not have been able to sell her for as much money. Petland did not provide us with any veterinary information regarding this surgery, and there are no visible scars on Bella's stomach. Therefore, we are not sure whether or not this surgery was actually performed to correct this painful and dangerous health problem.

I called Midway Veterinary Clinic in Neosho, Missouri, which is the vet listed on Bella's paperwork as the vet that did her surgery, microchip and vaccinations. The employee stated that she did not have ** (the breeder) in her system and that even if she did, I would need to contact him to have her records released to me. Although it appears that it will be expensive to look after Bella, we do not want to get rid of her. We cannot imagine putting this poor puppy through any more than she has already been through and intend on giving her the best life possible. However, it is quite distressing knowing that we have purchased a dog from a puppy mill and supported this horrible industry, and plan to do anything in our power to stop this from happening to these innocent animals. If you have any information on puppy mills, Petland, Hunte Corporation or **, I would love to see it! Please visit me on Facebook at: **.

Original review: May 5, 2015

If you don't want to be completely ripped off then PLEASE go to any pet store other than Petland in Kennesaw. Here's why: The price they tell you for the dogs (and maybe cats idk because I got a dog) are not the actual prices. They add in AAAAALLLLLLLLLL kinds of packages that cost hundreds of dollars and force you to only work with them, and don't break that down to you. They told me my dog cost $3200, but on my receipt the dog was $1800 and everything else was added like $420 lifetime AKC package (which includes training), $300 training (additional that I have NOT received), $240 spa package, $120 treat package, etc. A whole bunch of stuff you could get much cheaper somewhere else.

They WON'T refund you anything, despite what your receipt says. The receipt says that anything purchased in a bundle can be returned as long as the entire bundle is unopened, but the Pawsitive Solutions people will disagree and say "well you signed the receipt and contract showing you were aware of what you bought and what was included in the price of your dog." They will say they don't have a store manager and refer you to Pawsitive Solutions, where they don't resolve anything. Thank you ** for being so helpful (sarcasm). I will definitely be sending this to a lawyer. You can't return any dog, just exchange. And please don't make the mistake I did and finance a dog. It's a debt I can't cancel for an over priced ticket. The only positive is that I got a beautiful healthy puppy from the deal.

Original review: April 18, 2015

I went to Petland today in Boca Park for the first time and what I experienced was so disgusting it should be illegal. My boyfriend and I asked about an Alaskan Eskimo puppy who was 8 weeks old. First the sale associate told us the puppy would only weigh up to 10 pounds so we look it up and this dog will weigh 40. Then told us the puppy was $2100. How insane, no dog from a breeder costs this much even with championship bloodlines. Then in another cage, two small dogs started fighting and another girl banged on the cage and yelled like a psycho. The cages were all full of urine and none had food or water. I don't understand how this company is in business. Someone please tell me how this is legal. Where do these puppies come from and where do they go if they don't sell? I can't believe anyone would treat animals this way and sell them for such a high price. I have lost hope for humanity.

Original review: April 15, 2015

Have purchased pups from Petland (Pensacola, FL) before. Since the new management the last two I've purchased have had issues. Pup A. A St Bernard has the genetic strain of mange. Pup B. A German Shepherd (currently still fighting to get after being bought and paid for) has had repertory issues the last three weeks the dogs been at Petland.

Latest news from the vet was a x-ray was needed, and a suggestion to get the dog to the owners due to no improvement, and it being the pups best interest to get out of the cage restriction he's currently in. The store owner has been arrogant and ignorant to the pups well-being. Not only making excuses for not getting the x-ray in a timely manner to outright lying about the pups well-being. An 8 week old German Shepherd not gaining but a single pound in the four weeks the pet shop has held the dog shows neglect and ignorance to the animal's well-being.

Original review: April 9, 2015

I started as a sales associate and quickly moved up to a manager of the Racine WI location. After seeing my performance, my gm transferred me to Crystal Lake IL to run that location while he focused on Racine. I didn't notice how bad things were until I transferred and had more responsibilities.

I'll start with small animals. Small animal cages were all open, so anyone could reach in and grab them. Needles to say, hamsters and such are terribly nervous as is, so all this handling sometimes caused them to bite. Initially, this meant put the animal in a cage in the back and give it extra love until it's more socialized. After a short amount of time, I was told there were too many animals in the back, and this was no longer an option. One bite = death penalty. The locations owner ordered us to either put it in a box and freeze it alive, or put it in a bag and slam it against a wall until it was dead.

When I said I couldn't do that, the men that worked there were handed down the orders I wouldn't accept. The freezer became so full, that dead animals fell on me any time I tried to open it. Rabbits fought often because of overcrowding. Wounds were not allowed to be treated because the value wasn't enough to preserve the injured. I treated them as well as I could by cleaning the wounds, applying antibiotic ointment I purchased on my own, and dressing them. Sometimes my efforts helped. But sadly, I couldn't save them all.

Next I'll touch on kittens. Kittens were donated. 100% of them. Wild kittens sometimes would be donated and sold as domestic. These animals started at $99.99 a piece. Since the sources of these animals are unknown, many would have health issues. If the cost to get treatment for the animal was greater than the value, we would be forced to sit back and let them die. The vet that visited once a week would ignore them due to direct orders from the owner and gm.

I saved the worst for last. Puppies. We were misled and told all puppies were from licensed breeders, in turn forcing us to mislead the customers. Licensed breeder was loosely thrown around. After doing research, I found that many states give licenses to puppy mills with little to no research about the facility the animals would be kept in. Bottom line, Petland only sells puppy mill puppies. I can guarantee this because I'd helped with ordering so I knew all the names of the breeders. I researched each individually and found the truth. One of the puppy mills we used, **, had over 2000 puppies crammed in tiny cages in her facility in Mexico, Missouri.

Why is this a problem? Well, for starters, akc and other company registrations were usually received by fabrication of who the parents were. So customers were charged thousands of dollars to purchase a "pure bred" who probably wasn't a pure bred at all. On the contrary, many were INbred. Next, illness and disease. Too many puppies in too small of an area, means things spread fast. To me personally, that meant a lot of angry customers.

People came in complaining about how: the puppies had thousands of dollars worth of medical bills in the first few months; the new puppies infected older family dogs with things that eventually killed them; puppies died - many before 1 year old; and finally, I started getting complaint after complaint about our puppies being diagnosed with Parvo Virus. This also meant for me, the heartbreaking job of removing dead puppies from the kennel when I got to work every day, before the other employees came in.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, a vet visits each store once a week to check out the puppies. Almost every puppy ever to have been in a petland has had kennel cough at one point or another. The puppies were given medicine to treat it, but many of them left our stores with permanent damage to lungs and bronchial tubes from the treatment not being aggressive enough to actually cure the illness. It was a poor effort so we could say to our customers "every puppy had been checked out by a vet before we even let you visit with them."

Finally, I'll just touch on the topic of commission based sales. Petland offers its employees commission on sales to encourage ripping customers off. We were trained to sell every little thing we could to a person purchasing a puppy. We were trained to condemn people almost, by making them feel guilty if they didn't spend $1000 in product along with the $2000 they just spent on the puppy. Yes, if you're purchasing a puppy, usually you need supplies. But some things we were forced to tell people they absolutely needed, was a con to get higher sales - NOT for the animals welfare.

That being said, you're probably wondering what I did about all this? For starters, I did my own internal investigation with videos, pictures, and written testimony from numerous employees. I turned my report in to the Health Department, ASPCA, PETA, and any other group I thought could do something. What happened with all this? Well, the health department investigated. We failed our inspection. I was ready to jump for joy until I heard the dreaded words "I'm not reporting everything I've seen. Get these items taken care of. I'm going to let it slide this time." So of course, I continued to turn them in, yet the same result happened with every inspection. Slap on the wrist and no further actions taken.

One - I repeat, ONE group followed through with investigations after I turned in my evidence. PETA. And with all of the radical ways of PETA, people do not respect the group enough to listen wholeheartedly when they speak. So, here I am, more than ten years later, STILL trying to educate the public, and hopefully one day finally get them shut down for good.

Original review: April 3, 2015

I purchased a Boxer puppy in the month of October, year 2014, from Petland located at Lakeland Square Mall in Lakeland Florida. I had the puppy less than 2 weeks when he became very ill. I had already scheduled his first puppy check up, with Petland's contracted veterinarian, and within the contract time frame of 5 days after purchase, the veterinarian stated the puppy looked good. The contracted veterinarian then wanted me to schedule the puppy in the following week for his vaccines. I did this, however, before this next scheduled visit the puppy became ill with green mucus and a cough.

I contacted the contracted veterinarian and explained what was happening to the puppy. I was told to keep his scheduled visit, but the vet would probably not give him his vaccines. Upon arrival at Petland's contracted veterinarian, a sample of mucus was taken from his nose. The vet stated that it was a sinus infection. I was given meds to administer until a week later when the vet scheduled him for another checkup.

The HORROR story began...I continued to take this sick puppy to Petland's contracted veterinarian for treatment, which included several different types of medications and breathing treatments. I even had to leave the puppy at this veterinarian facility for a full week of breathing treatments. Then on another week, my family and myself were taking the puppy to this same veterinarian on a daily basis for a week of breathing treatments, as was prescribed by this contracted veterinarian of Petland. Meanwhile, I tried getting help and answers from the Petland store from which I purchased the puppy. I called on many occasions, asking to speak with the owner and/or manager. NO ONE from this Petland store returned my calls until almost two months had passed.

I also tried getting help from Petland Claims and Warranties...that was a JOKE. First of all, you never get anyone to answer the phone, instead, you receive an automated message to leave your information, and someone will get back with you. The automated message also states that calling more than once in a 24 hour period will delay the process. Well excuse me...I have a very sick puppy that can't wait until someone decides to get back with me.

After no help from Petland, and the puppy continued to decline rapidly in health at the care of Petland's contracted veterinarian, I was getting concerned. I asked the contracted vet for an x-ray of his chest, because he was coughing so very badly, day and night, and coughing up a tremendous amount of phlegm. The contracted veterinarian refused an x-ray on both of my requests. The day of 12/2/14 was our last visit with Petland's contracted veterinarian, and we were told by the contracted veterinarian that he was done with the puppy, to take him elsewhere. We left this crackpot of a veterinarian, and on the same day was able to get him in to the veterinarian we use for our other dogs. Upon arrival at OUR vet, the puppy was given an x-ray and severe pneumonia was found in his lungs, along with a fever and underweight puppy.

Our vet told us in order for the puppy to survive, he would need a 24/7 emergency care facility. We immediately took the puppy to the suggested facility, he was there for a week for extensive treatments and 24/7 medical supervision. Also, our other two adult dogs, both of which have always been up to date with their vaccinations, became ill with Kennel Cough. The puppy purchased at Petland of Lakeland had been sick prior to my getting him, and Petland was disguising the illness with medications while he was in the pet store.

So..after almost $4,000 in vet bills from the emergency facility and our vet, we finally have a happy healthy Boxer. Petland initially had refused any reimbursement until I contacted the BBB, and filed a claim. Once I submitted all of my documents and facts, the BBB worked as the mediator, and Petland of Lakeland refunded the full price of the puppy. I now plan on going after the almost $4,000 in vet bills I had to pay due to the incompetence and lack of caring from Petland's contracted veterinarian.

Original review: April 3, 2015

I paid for a muzzle that was $14.99 tax = $15.50. I returned exactly 24 hours later, it was too large. I wanted to exchange for a different size and the price was $13.49 tax = $14.45. I also had to pay $2.03 difference. I tried explains to the lady I was exchanging with a smaller price but then had to pay the 2.03 more. She stated the register did not read the receipt. The machine was down the day before. If they cheat people everyday someone is making a nice tip. Please take care of this or I will place on social media. Thank you.

Original review: April 1, 2015

I was going to Petland in the South Park mall, and I went to Petland because I wanted a cat. All the cats had colds and stuffy noses, and then I saw the hamster cage. The workers put the boys and the girls together and almost all the girls were pregnant. It was horrible.

Original review: March 24, 2015

We paid $1200 for a Shih tzu/bichon and now that we had her DNA tested, there is no bichon in her. Yet a mix Shi tzu, lab, pug, toy poodle... a mutt for $1200. Really??? Where do I sign up for lawsuit????

Original review: March 16, 2015

We bought our Maltese puppy in January 2012 at PETLAND MONROEVILLE. We brought her home with kennel cough but that was not a problem with us. The next three years we deeply fell in love with our little girl. We maintained her health and got her groomed every five weeks. We were especially careful in what she ate. This past Christmas was a good one for all of us. Beginning the new year, we noticed a few lumps on our sweet Violet and took her to the vet not only for him to look at her bumps but to get her next vaccination that was due. When he told us she had lymphoma, we were absolutely DEVASTATED. This loving member of our family has lymphoma? Where did this come from? He mentioned to us that in his 30 years as a veterinarian he has never seen a dog so young get lymphoma. He asked again if she was only three and I assured him she was.

We started chemo immediately. After a few weeks, we chose to stop the chemotherapy but keep her on prednisone. We put her on a holistic diet (recommended by a holistic doctor that is a friend) with homemade fresh food consisting of 12 different supplements. We cooked three small meals for her during her last two months. This did not at all put the cancer into remission. We had to euthanize her last week. We are absolutely DEVASTATED by her loss. Not only because she was such a beloved member of our family but the fact that she only lived a little over three years. It just does not seem fair. I called PETLAND MONROEVILLE requesting to talk to the owner to inquire about the breeder. I thought they might be interested in knowing what happened and to check on her breeder to see if perhaps any other dogs from that litter had congenital problems.

I thought when I talked to him he really cared, but I was really wrong about that. He said he would call me back. He never did, nor did he mention the three-year warranty that I discovered later on. Since I told him she was three it could have been possible that she was within the three-year warranty. He also stated he was the new owner and he bought the business a little more than a year ago. In extreme grief, my husband and I visited PETLAND MONROEVILLE this past week. We were greeted by a woman who informed us she was the owner and after talking with her she said her four sons run the store. Funny, the guy who called me said HE is the owner and he's owned the store for a year and a half.

I told her about our Violet and she went in the back of the store and brought out a Maltese puppy that we could purchase for $2k. Her behavior was very inappropriate. It is definitely clear to me what the priority is to these owner(s) and it is not the health of the animals. Needless to say, we are not interested in a new dog. Dont really know when we would emotionally be ready (if at all) for another dog. I am writing this to add to the complaint list about my experience with this pet store. I will never buy an animal from PETLAND MONROEVILLE again. Hopefully this story will make people realize that buying from a breeder is a better route to take.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I bought an 8 week old maltese from the Plantation store. I told them that I wanted a very small dog. I was told that my maltese would weigh no more than 7 lbs full grown. My maltese is now 13 pounds. I am very disappointed with them.

Original review: March 11, 2015

My family purchased a new puppy. The Petland vet that we saw was very unhappy that they sold us a dog that was not taken care of, she had matted hair in her ears and was sick with kennel cough. We gave her the medication that the vet supplied us with. We paid to have her groomed and cleaned up just 4 days after getting the new pup. She spread the kennel cough to our other dogs and this was not covered by Petland. So we paid for our other dogs to go to the vet and get medication. The vet recommended we wait to get another parvenu vaccination until the pup was healthy. The dog never got healthy, the kennel cough was passed around between the dogs for about 4 weeks.

At this point we made another appointment to have the parvenu vaccination again and the day of the appointment she passed away. Petland will take no responsibility for the death of our dog. After several months of trying to get a hold of the "manager" or someone that could help me, they have finally returned my phone call. They said, "Sorry but we won't cover any medical bills or replace the dog."

Original review: March 9, 2015

I worked at the Petland on Davis Hwy in Pensacola from 9/2004-12/2004. While I was there working in the kennel I was advised to give certain dogs certain medicine and shots. Mind you, I was only a kennel tech with no experience. These puppies were very, very sick yet they pumped them full of vitamins to perk them up. I was beyond disgusted. I was also advised that I would be responsible of taking the extremely sick pups home every night to care for them. Again, I have NO veterinary training.

I of course fell in love with one of the pups and opted to purchase her. The price was $950. They agreed to allow payments from each check until the total was paid and she would belong to Petland until the total was paid in full. I ended up having to pay $900 for medical even though she was not my dog yet. They refused to pay her medical bills when she contracted double pneumonia and puppy strangles. Needless to say, the owner agreed to let me take her home that day without further payment and I quit after threatening a lawsuit. I know for a fact that all of these puppies are from puppy mills. Pups would come in so young that they were unable to walk! Petland needs to be shut down!!

Original review: March 6, 2015

I purchased a Puppy on Oct 27, 2014 from Monroeville PA Petland. I was told that it was a PUREBRED Labrador Puppy by **, the sales clerk AS WELL as the Breeder, **. After a couple days, my Vet thought he looked more like a beagle mix and the puppy had a seizure the day after I got him. (Apparently, beagles are prone to seizures). **, owner, said he never said it was Purebred! Petland was supposed to do DNA testing, I never heard back from them so I did DNA testing and he is a Beagle/Lab mix.

** was very rude and could have cared less. ** never even asked how pup was after he seized!! Said her beagle must have accidentally dug under the fence/impregnated the lab and she couldn't say it hasn't happened before! Again, really?? I have all texts from her. Didn't give a darn about the seizing puppy. A TRUE BREEDER would DEMAND to know so she can act accordingly with her other dogs and prospective litters AND follow up with the DNA tests. DONT BUY FROM HER. There are wonderful other breeders out there!

Original review: March 5, 2015

I purchased a puppy on 2/22/2015. Noticed on the 26th at 2am puppy was in distress. I took my puppy to the emergency after hours vet and he had pneumonia. ** I will gladly help you anyway I can. We did go to their vet and contacted the number. That was another bill. I am going to fight them all the way to make sure that my expenses are covered.. I was guaranteed a healthy dog. Funny thing is the emergency vet said she treated other golden puppies recently with the same symptoms.....

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

We purchased two Boxer puppies from this location in April of 2014. We were told that the puppies were in good health, and from reputable breeders. Now almost a year later we found out the male puppy has mange and cannot be bred. Petland returned half of the purchase price. We also started training the puppies for competition, but can't do that either because the male is larger (much) larger than breed standards and walks like he has some sort of skeletal problems. It is very hard for him to stand up straight and almost looks like his hind legs are longer than his front legs, and has a permanent curve towards the rear of his spine. His temperament is fine, but we will never be able to breed him or enter him in any competitions.

Now to the female; as a puppy she resembled a boxer and due to the fact that the sales people said the same thing about the breeders and AKC REGISTERED and I thought it would be ok. I know from experience that with some breeds it could take a few months to a year until the full physical character traits of the dog actually come out. Well the female turned a year old on Jan. 9th this year, and she doesn't resemble a boxer. She has the colorings of a boxer, but that's about it. No short pushed in muzzle like a typical boxer, and her coat is very long. When I got the dogs I scanned the barcodes on their info packages and it shows that they came from the same breeder, but their pedigree and AKC paperwork show something totally different. We paid close to $4000 for two puppies that we had great plans for and now can only have them spayed and neutered.

When we found out about the male puppies hereditary issues, I asked for contact information to the breeder and was denied. I have since researched reviews from other Petland customers, and found out that I'm not the first person who has been sold inferior/ poorly bred puppies. I am prepared to take this case to small claims court if I do not receive a full refund. Update; Petland refused to reply to the BBB complaint. This will be reflected on their rating, but I was told by their complaint department pawsative solutions that this didn't matter as people would always buy overpriced puppies from them. DO NOT BUY PUPPIES FROM PETLAND!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I recently purchased freshwater fish from the Petland in Pickerington, Ohio. The associate chased the fish around the tank and took forever to net them. When he finished, he went to a sink and started to fill the bag with more water. I asked what he was doing and he said it was fine... it was good water. I asked him to STOP because this is an unheard of practice. Why would you mix water of a different temperature and chemistry into the bag? He told me it was R/O water... which is besides the point.

I informed him that I work at a fish store (large area aquarium/fish retailer only) and he argued with me and said "so do I." He needed to just do what the customer asked and not argue. I did talk to the manager about this and he had no clue why this would not be a good practice. I informed him that is was stupid to put any water in the bag that was not from the tank the fish were in. By the way, all 5 of the fish died within 24 hours. I have 27 fish tanks and have been keeping fish for more than 20 years. I would like to also state that it is hard to get an associate to help you in the fish department. I am sure that is because all the big money is in the puppies.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

I bought a puppy on Feb 10. The puppy came in with kennel cough. On Feb 12 the vet was supposed to see a vet on February 14. Vet didn't make it to store. On Sunday Feb 16 went to pick puppy coughing bad. And on Feb 17 still no vet still haven't seen a vet. Had to call corporate to get results. Was told only nasal congestion by Petland kennel tech. Spoke to vet's office hasn't even been seen yet. Lies, lies, more lies. Still no answer just want a healthy puppy. Never again will I buy from Petland.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

I purchased a puppy she is now very sick with pneumonia. I only had her a week. When I call the store they say call out claims department, the problem I have is they said I voided my warranty because I used my own veterinarian and they don't stand by the 14 day purchase warranty. I am now spending thousands of dollars to save her. They will not return phone calls and if she dies they are like sorry for your loss. I feel that they are stealing people's money and selling bad puppies.

Another issue I have is I purchased a 2nd puppy before I found out the first one was so sick now I'm looking at another heartache for my children if something happens to this puppy. Someone needs to stop this from happening. Also I have to use an emergency hospital because it's the weekend. I am so angry. I plan on taking this to the media and hire a attorney for all fees involved to stop this company from selling bad puppies!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

October 10th, 2014 at the Bethel Rd. Petland, my boyfriend and I bought a 9 week old male golden retriever. I knew better than to get him at a place like this, but I had been looking for male goldens at shelters for 2 years and could never find any. So, I fell in love with him. My dad was a vet tech when I was younger and I've had Bichons when I was growing up, so I kind of knew what to look for. While we were playing him at the store, I was checking him over - his joints/bones and listening to him breathing. I asked the sales associate how much he cost, and she told us (without being pushy) then we left to get lunch and talk it over.

We decided to go back. When we got there, someone was playing with him already. I found the sales associate I had asked about price, and she was holding a pup. She handed me the pup so she could go get paperwork which I thought was kind of weird. So we got a room and held that puppy. It was a female golden retriever and she had a LARGE cyst on her side which made me feel really worried. So I asked her to get the dog for us so I could check him over again. He really did seem all okay so we asked her to see if we could get financed - which we were told was interest free for the first year (which wasn't true).

The sales associate was about our age, and she was very nice and not pushy at all. But while we were playing with him while she was getting us financed (because we weren't certain at this point we were going to go through with it), an older male employee, I'm assuming the manager came over. He kept asking us questions about what we were going to name him and how he could tell he loved us (which I feel was a pressure tactic) and then went on to say that since we were in college he would be easy to take care of. (Uh no.) Thankfully I'm not ignorant and knew how much work it would be. Telling college kids having a puppy is easy till they find it isn't is how poor dogs get in shelters.

So anyways, we get him home and everything is fine. They told us we had to take him to their vet within 5 days to be eligible for the pet for life program. We took him the next morning and he had a bit of a runny nose so the vet gave us medicine for that at no charge. They gave him a clean bill of health. Thankfully he never got kennel cough which I was fully expecting him to get. I'm also lucky my dad is knowledgeable about dogs and he looked him over as well and thought he was fine.

Everything was fine until November 17th 2014 when we took him to the vet to get his rabies shot. We got him home and 3 hours later his face and tongue was so insanely swollen he didn't look like him and couldn't see out of his eyes. We rushed him to the vet and they took him back right away and gave him medicine and kept him for a couple of hours. When we came back to get him they gave us more medicine to give him and didn't charge us for anything - which I am VERY surprised about.

So anyways, we'll have had him for 4 months February 10th and everything has been okay so far. BUT, I know my experience is very rare and I wouldn't recommend buying any living thing from a Petland. I do believe they're unethical and just out for the money. Find a legit and reputable breeder that loves their dogs and not just money. Also, don't just do it because you'll get another dog down the line. I've opted out of the pet for life program because I even know I probably wouldn't have the same results with another Petland pup down the road.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2015

My boyfriend (at the time) bought a bulldog at Petland in Bradenton, FL 4 days after my back surgery. He called me and asked if I could cosign, since my credit was good. I agreed over the phone to co-sign for the dog. It wasn't until almost one month later the loan papers came in the mail and EVERYTHING is in my name. His is nowhere on anything. And I still can't work, he is not in the picture and now I am totally responsible for this dog. I had to move back to Missouri because I can't work. All this on top of the dog having pneumonia and almost dying three days after he brought him home.

The poor little guy has been at the vet more than most people go to the doctor. I have called Petland and all the other people I can think of and filed disputes, but I believe I am now stuck with even more debt because of Petland's screwed up policy and my ex. I am still dealing with the dog's sickness and it sickens me that this company is still in business all over the country and all these problems related to their dogs and policies. I think that is why they sell you insurance with the dog, because they know these dogs are sick. Plus they are NOT AKC registered, they LIE LIE LIE! PLEASE CLOSE THIS COMPANY DOWN!!! They are in it for money, only money.

Petland Company Information