1.25/5

Looking for a pet store?

Looking for a pet store?

Petland Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

I purchased a pug on 7 Jan 2012 and it was sick. I am looking for his siblings to see if they are still alive. My pug passed away in Aug 2013. He is not even 2 years old. When I purchased him, he had kennel cough. I also purchased a Peeka-Szu and she had kennel cough also. She is still alive. I purchased both of them together to have playmates. Please email me ** if you purchased a pug. He was from the Yoders on his papers.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

I bought a Old English Bulldog from this location with a full warranty for 12 months! I owned my Dog (Te'o) for 7 months and he passed away suddenly. I then immediately contact the store where he was purchased from (Pickerington) and Megan answered the phone and said she did not know what to do and that all the managers were out of town. She then said that she was the acting store manager and she proceeded to tell me to leave my deceased pet in the back yard until Monday (4 days later) until management could return. That was very wrong and very misleading with her advice!!

We took our pet to the Vet that Pickerington uses and setup a time to have him cremated (a sad time for our family), then we contact Jr with your corporate the very next morning and he acted like had some concern. He also mentioned a necropsy, so we contacted the vet immediately and they said that too much time has passed to perform one. With Meagan's advice, 4 days would have been way too long also! We are currently speaking with the Attorney General about this issue and want some kind of replacement or a refund!! We do not wish to speak with Jr because he never returned our calls and was no help. Our next step is to contact 6 On Your Side because we have found several complaints about Petland and did not know any of this until after the fact!

I am including a link for the complaints as I did with the Attorney General complaint. It seems that Petland has this problem all of the time and it is kept quiet!! Well I will not remain quiet, because this was a family member that was lost and we did everything right. If I cannot get an agreeable resolution to help my grieving family, I will hire an Attorney and beat this case for everyone that has received the poor service that Petland hands out! I would like someone from your company to contact me to help me with this problem! I look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

We bought our puppy on August 9 2013. Fell in love. When we asked to see him, he was in another room. They claimed to be giving him a bath. We took him home the following Friday. He had a runny nose and congested. Took him to their vet and they cleared him. Then a few days later, he was in for a cold. Then a week after that, he developed cherry eye in both eyes. Petland is supposed to cover genetic problems and we bought an extended warranty. The vet we use tells us there is another bully in there that is the same size as mine. Thinking it is a sibling. The breeders should be aware this has happened. I asked for the breeder's info before the cherry eye and never got it. We are now stuck with this huge bill and my baby's eyes are bad.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

Petland sold us a sick puppy that had PARVO virus. They said he was healthy. Scooby died 6 days after purchase. They would not send Scooby to the 24 emergency hospital, only allowed their contracted vet see him. The same vet that supposedly said he was healthy. The horrible story is that the owners of Petland, Kareem Koshok and his brother Aymen, just thought it was okay to let this little 2lb puppy suffer alone with their contracted vet who closes its doors at 8pm rather than send him over to the 24 hour emergency hospital to be treated for properly and humanely. They are horrible. They don't stand behind what they sell.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

Three years ago I bought an English Bulldog from Petland for $3,200. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. She had a little bit of a cold which I was assured was just a common cold. Her nose was runny and she had a slight cough. I was required to bring her to their vet within 72 in which I did. She was given antibiotics. She eventually got worse where she was extremely congested. I thought she was going to die. I had to start bringing her back to Petland for breathing treatments. After a month of these treatments and me putting her on a humidifier with a Vick's Vapor medication, she got better. During one of these visits, one of the new workers brought me back where they keep the dogs to show me another English Bulldog. There were several dogs kept in isolation that were extremely sick. Snot dripping down their nose, coughing, sneezing, and some were swaying side to side. Some were very lethargic and barely moved. There must have been about 10 dogs in isolation. It was so sad.

She said most of them come in very sick due to being exposed to so many other animals in an enclosed room. She said it was quite common and nothing serious during the shipping of animals. Within 2 months my dog was fine, until I noticed something bulging out of her eye lid. Come to find out, she had a cherry eye. I was told that these were removed before she ever made it to Petland. Apparently not! I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. I argued with the manager over being told that these were removed and that this was a genetic problem which is clearly stated that Petland has to pay for per their contract. They refused saying one was previously removed, but I was going to have to be responsible for the other and there was no way to prove it was genetic. Whatever. I just accepted it as part of being a responsible pet owner. Within 4 months she developed a chronic skin problem. She had large blisters all over her body which would bust and bleed. She was missing large patches of hair. It was just brushed off as an allergic reaction to food.

After several expensive bags of dog food and no symptom relief I finally took her to a family vet and learned that this is something that my dog will have for the rest of her life. I have to bathe her in a special shampoo and she has to periodically take antibiotics and steroids. I also learned recently that she has a deformity in her eye lashes where they actually grow into her eyes causing ulcers. My vet and I have decided to postpone surgery and see if this med combination works; so far it has. At 6 months old, they did honor their agreement to pay for half of her surgery to be "fixed." I am not in the business to make money off of my dog. I got her for companionship. A year later I went back in to make a small purchase and saw another English Bulldog. After spending some time with this precious little fellow I decided I may want to purchase him, but needed to talk it over with my spouse. I noticed he was breathing heavily and had some congestion.

Again, I was told this was a common cold. They were very aggressive and tried to push me into buying him that day. My spouse said. "Hell No!!!" We would never buy another pet from them after everything we've been through. The next day I went back to let them know I would not be getting him due to all the medical complications/expenses I've had with my dog. I was told it was a good thing I didn't buy him because he had a deformity with his nasal passages being too small and he was not able to get enough oxygen. They had to put him to sleep. I broke down in the middle of the store. I could not believe they just told me this. I believe now this was a tactic to make me feel guilty for not buying him, I don't know. I was shocked, angry, and hurt!!! Not long after that the store was shut down for a year and reopened under new management. This place has not changed. They are still just as tacky as they were before. I came in with my English Bulldog that I'd bought there 3 years earlier. One lady asked me why I brought my dog in. I just kind of looked at her like what the hell? It was her tone that caught me off guard.

Then she asked if I was coming in for a grooming which I responded no. Then she asked if I was interested in buying another dog. I just wanted to see puppies and browse I said. I noticed a few puppies had a cold as evidenced by sneezing and a runny nose. It was about an hour before closing and it was extremely hot in there. I saw an English Bulldog I wanted to play with and after 20 minutes of no acknowledgment I finally asked to see him. The young lady that asked me why I brought my dog in said I couldn't because the dog needed to eat and rest. Well, what about the next 20 hours ya'll will be closed? What will they be doing then? What if I was actually there to buy this dog that costs $3,500? I suppose because I already established that I was not there to buy a dog she knew I would not be purchasing the puppy and was wasting her time.

I was shocked to read all these horror stories and had no idea. I was actually looking to complain about my most recent service, but after reading everyone's complaint I wanted to share my entire experience. I love my dog and would not trade her for the world. I don't regret buying her at all. She is the best, sweetest, and most lovable dog I have ever owned, but Please stop giving these people business!!!!!! They are selling sick animals for profit!!!!!! These people do not care about animals or they could not continue to work in that environment with a clear conscience!!!! I am just so shocked that they are still in business after reading all this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Petland?

Original review: July 1, 2013

I wish this website would allow me to give zero stars!!!!! I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life!!! My husband and I were interested in purchasing a German Shepherd puppy. I have four years of experience as a veterinary technician before I decided to pursue a future in law and I also have a two and a half year old son. With the knowledge that I have obtained, I am aware that purchasing a pet is a big decision especially when a child is involved. We visited the Lake Saint Louis, MO Petland for one hour (past closing time), once at 10 am the next morning, and again at 5 pm that evening to ensure the puppy would play well with our son.

During our first visit, Andrea (as I am told by the GM) told us about the pet deposit if we wanted to ensure that no one adopts the puppy, who shall now be referred to as him throughout this correspondence. Andrea was aware that we were looking at a puppy at a rescue also, and I asked her if we decided to go with a dog elsewhere if we could use the deposit for leashes, food, or whatever else our puppy might need and she told us on several occasions that it would not be a problem and yes, we could.

The next morning Rachel opened the door for us and was extremely pushy. I felt like reminding her this is a puppy and not a pair of shoes! She, too, mentioned the deposit and again, I confirmed that if we decided not to adopt him, if we would be able to use the money for supplies for the other puppy, which she was aware of, and she, too, said yes! We knew we were going to need supplies because we are getting a puppy from one place or the other so if it didn't work out, it was no big deal; we would not be out any money that we weren't already going to spend, so we put down the deposit.

When we showed up at 5 pm, we had every intention of adopting him if all went well. However, he was more aggressive and grabbed my, already shy, son by the pants and actually bit his leg and was pulling on him. Rachel witnessed this and realized this wasn't going to work, and took the puppy. Obviously, this was not the puppy for us, and she immediately tried to show us any other puppy in the store, but as I mentioned before, we were seeking a German Shepherd puppy. My husband asked her how the $100 credit worked because we need to get some items for whatever dog we end up with and Rachel said she would check. She went in the back, and completely avoided eye contact with us for 10+ min.

I finally went to the front register and asked for a manager. The manager came out and immediately (before anything was said by me) told me she was on the phone with the owner and they refused to do a refund. I explained we were told we would get a store credit and I did not want a refund. She called me a liar and said that no one on her staff would say that!!! Then she went on to tell me they only give refunds in special circumstances... Is this not a special circumstance? Please elaborate what constitutes a special circumstance. My son was bitten by the dog that we really wanted and we didn't want another dog. Again we were not shopping for shoes, but a lifetime companion for our family!

I was furious. Why on Earth would I ever give someone money without some arrangement to use the money elsewhere, knowing the possibility that this would not work out with our child? Yes, the receipt does say "Nonrefundable," but it does not say nontransferable, therefore, I believed what I was told by multiple staff members. After a very heated discussion with the GM (as she identified herself), I asked to her to bring out the employee because the one from last night (Andrea) was off today. Rachel blatantly lied to mine and her boss' faces. She said and I quote, "I told you this morning when you asked me that question that I would check to see if you could use the $100 for in store credit if you didn't buy the puppy, but I never gave you an answer." Why would I go out of my way to ask this question and then just hand over money without a response?

Honestly, think about it. If I am so concerned about this and have asked so many other employees and was confirming once again, why would I give her my money without some sort of agreement or understanding? She then went on to tell me she would not lie to her boss, which is of course another lie, and then the GM told me that she believed Rachel and not me, to my face in front of Rachel. I told her I needed to call the police to file a report and she told me to call the police. She will talk to them, and told me she didn't have time to talk to me, and went back to hide in the back corner of the back room.

Once I made the phone call, I asked to speak with her, again. When she came out I asked her to come to the other side of the store by the mice to avoid a scene in front of the other shoppers. She directed me to the chairs and sat. I calmly asked her, "Why would I be making this up," and told her to look at the facts: Multiple trips, a background in animals, two different employees telling me the same thing, why would I make that up? She then told me that she has a hard time believing two seasoned employees would tell me this. I had to interrupt her and ask how seasoned these employees were because Rachel is now insisting she didn't know the answer to what the GM was making sound like a very simple and routine question!

Her reply was that people come in ALL of the time and put $100 deposits and never come back and, once again, repeated they only do refunds for special circumstances. I reiterated that I DID NOT want a refund; I wanted the credit I was promised so I could buy my new puppy some supplies! She tried to tell me the dog part brought in business that was separate from the fish and food, etc. She also told me I could use it for a different puppy, but we wanted a German Shepherd. She then, again, said the special circumstances and that the receipt says nonrefundable. I told her that it does not say nontransferable and she replied very forcefully, "WELL IT WILL NOW!"

Then, again, she told me to call the police; she would talk to them because she had other things to do. I was even more confused after our conversation because I never left the premises with the puppy. I was told no one else had come in to look at him, so they did not miss an opportunity to adopt him. I just cannot wrap my head around the issue here. I was told I would receive a credit by multiple employees and then when the dog BIT my son, I was automatically the bad guy for expecting something that I was promised by multiple employees??

I have contacted the corporate office multiple times to resolve this issue. On the third attempt, I, finally, received a response that stated they could not help me and I was redirected to the store owners, Tom and Jeff Hartmann, to resolve this complaint. Conveniently they are never in and the rare times they are in, they are busy and I am assured by the employees that my message will be placed directly in their hands. The corporate office couldn't care less about this or any complaint (Google Petland reviews) and the store owners only care about the money, which, I guess, is what I should have expected from a puppy mill wholesaler.

This complaint has been going on for over two months and I have never received an email or phone call response from any person affiliated with Petland, outside of the generic redirect from corporate, only a response from Petland to my bank calling me a liar. If you read the reviews online, you will find way too many complaints regarding the bait and switch that occurred with my family. I guess it is not against corporate policy to lie to the customers about a store credit or (in some cases with the online reviews) a refund because they have been made aware of these unethical practices and have done nothing to stop them.

Before purchasing a pet or any item from this store, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I now know they are a puppy mill wholesaler. None of the pets that they are selling come from the good breeders that they will try to convince you of (Online reviews besides the bait and switch are generally regarding very sick animals or not actually AKC-registrable pets that they REFUSE to refund - there are tons of them everywhere including BBB which they are not accredited, Rip off reports, as well as, the standard review sites). I am ashamed that I did not do more research before I entered the Lake Saint Louis, MO store Petland store, although, it has become apparent that these disgusting practices occur in every store in the country.

After reading the reviews and researching complaints, and newspaper articles, I am surprised that this company is still in business. There are plenty of local stores that support animals and animal welfare and do not treat their customers like they are the scum of the Earth. I would recommend going anywhere, but Petland!

Original review: June 14, 2013

I just want everyone to know about this business and to never go there again. I used to work at the Petland in Janesville, WI where I worked for about a month and had to quit. The owner and the general manager both bullied me into quitting. I felt like I was treated unfairly because the general manager’s niece who worked there never did her job right. The general manager said she should be fired but she's not and the niece still never did her job correctly making others suffer. So on my last day of work, they sat me in the middle of the store closed with the other employee and said that I shouldn't feel that way and I was wrong for feeling that way. As I was crying from them tag team bullying me, the owner said to me, "I would be crying if I were you too."

The owner and general manager also made fun of me for being quiet thinking that it may help me to talk more. Now about the animals, when I was working there, eight puppies got parvo **. Four dogs died from this. When the second dog died, the owner told me not to tell anyone about the parvo or they would be shut down. If I could do something about it, I would have shut it down, quarantine the place and reopened.

Original review: June 10, 2013

My 20-year-old son purchased a puppy on credit issued to him by Petland. He had never had any credit before. He was told that he could return the puppy within 48 hours if there were any problems for a full credit. He returned the puppy in 12 hours. He was issued a store credit and is now being turned over to collections. I think Petland deliberately misled my son. He had no idea he would still be responsible for the credit card bill. He thought credit meant refund as would any naive young person. He can't afford to pay the bill. The puppy has been resold. Petland got their money. They are holding my son's credit hostage and ruining it as well. Judging by the customer comments, my son is not the only one to fall victim to this scam.

Original review: May 31, 2013

I went to Petland a week ago and I bought a Yorkie and we bought everything they told us we needed to buy. This was a very expensive and high maintenance dog. We didn't even have her for half a week and she started having troubles. She wouldn't eat or drink. She was so weak she would lie in her own poop because she couldn't get up and walk away.

We had to force feed her. She had a seizure and we took her to the vet that we were supposed to take her to. They said that she was fine, just some hypoglycemia. So we left and then she died 3 days after that. Then I found I out that Petland sold puppy mill dogs. They said we could have another dog but I don't want a dog that will just die again. I want my money back and I doubt they will give me that back either.

Original review: May 15, 2013

My family and I went to Round Lake Petland to buy a rabbit. Salesperson wanted me to buy a 169 dollar small pet kit not including the cage. After about 30 min. of telling her that I don't want kit, just food and bedding, she went and got the manager who started in on vitamins and pushing the small pet kit. Now we were at 45 min. just trying to buy a rabbit which I have 2 at home already. My children were starting to get crabby. When I finally snapped at the manager and said, "Stop already! You guys are like ** cars salesmen," they would not let me buy the rabbit. I guess $49 for a rabbit isn't what they want. They want to make money off other products. So, the kids started crying when he would not sell rabbit. So you could only guess where my anger went. They called the police to get my family and me out of the store. I will never walk into a Petland ever again.

Original review: May 1, 2013

Although the prices on dog food were average, what I didn't appreciate about Petland was being followed around constantly by a salesperson trying to sell me everything under the sun in the store; and every time I looked at a product, I was told, "Oh yeah, that's the best brand out there!" Although it seems like a little thing, it was a very uncomfortable shopping experience.

And to everyone on this site who keeps buying puppies from places like Petland, just stop. There are plenty of good puppies and dogs for adoption at shelters. Quit contributing to the puppy mills!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2013

I bought a Chihuahua from Petland about 5 months ago. He has had problems shortly after we looked up the breeder and there are reports that they have other sick dogs. It started out with seizures, so we had him tested and his white blood count was very, very high because Petland will not pay for a specialist. I have tried to deal with this. Unfortunately, I cannot afford one. Last night he started vomiting and they found a huge tumor in his belly today. We are going to have to put him down. Petland has been very nasty to me when I call and try to talk to them about this. I have been hung up on and talked to meanly. I hope that you read this and think twice about buying a dog from them. Their answer is they can euthanize him and give me another dog. Why would I want another sick dog?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2013

I wanted to update my previous post, but don't know how. I am the one who got a Pomeranian from Petland who is very sick, coughing and wheezing and throwing up all day long. Well I took him to the vet who refuses to acknowledge that the dog has any type of chronic condition without doing extensive (and expensive) tests. He ordered x-rays of his chest, which is a couple hundred dollars among other tests to see if his lungs and other organs were damaged. Obviously, paying that much money to confirm what we already know is a waste. Petland won't even give us a cent because as far as they are concerned, he just has kennel cough. Just kennel cough that has been making my dog cough and struggle to breathe for over a month now and which four types of different medication have not even slightly improved the condition? Give me a break.

I did a search for positive reviews of Petland in hopes that maybe, just maybe, there were people satisfied with their pets (so I can go and exchange mine for a healthy one). But what I found was discouraging. Out of nearly 400 reviews, there were 2 that rated 5 stars and one of them said his dog was very sick and Petland wouldn't help. So I think that was a mistake. Only one person was happy with the purchase and every other rating was 3 stars or less, with 1 star being remarkably higher than the rest. Why does Petland not react to this? Why don't they change their ways? This is horrible. I don't know what to do with my puppy now. I may have to find him a new home, but who will want a sick dog? Poor little guy.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

I got my Pomeranian from a friend who purchased him from Petland and was unable to keep him. We took him to the vet to get all of his shots and everything and he was already on medication for kennel cough. After a week, the dog's coughing and wheezing was not improving; if anything, it was getting worse. We took him back to the vet, who put him on a different type of medication. He is currently taking two different meds twice a day and not getting better. It seems like he has a chronic condition but we have not yet received confirmation of that from the vet. We will be taking him to the vet again to check. If he does have a chronic illness, then I plan to return him to the store and try to get a refund with a note from our vet indicating the dog is chronically ill.

I would like to get another dog but don't want to take a chance with Petland selling me another sick puppy. I am very disappointed and sad. I took this puppy for my four-year-old and we have had him over a month. Both she and I have grown very attached to him but I cannot keep him knowing that he is sick and could die young. I had a puppy that died at a year old when I was a kid and it was very traumatic for me. I want a puppy that my daughter can grow up with. The dog also pees and poops everywhere and he throws up and eats his own vomit sometimes. He is not a healthy dog and I cannot take a chance with my daughter. She will be very upset that we have to give him back but I really do not see any other option.

Shame on Petland for selling sick puppies! After reading a bunch of other reviews, I realize that this is a common thing with them. I wish I had known this before. I would never have taken the puppy if I knew his "minor kennel cough" was actually a chronic condition. It's terrible. Don't buy anything from them. I know I won't.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2013

I have been there 3 times, and every time, it is a different story why I cannot have fish in my tank. You need to buy distilled water; you need to buy pH balancer for your distilled water; and your ammonia is too high you need to replace your brand new gravel. This is the worst pet store ever. Don’t even go in the door. 70 bucks wasted, waste of time. Jack's is a far better place to go for pets here in Ohio. I will never go to Petland again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2013

Please do not buy from Petland! I went to the Athens, GA store. I purchased a shih tzu that was and apparently he was sick. I purchased him on 12/24 for my 2-year-old. He died at the animal hospital on 12/29. I asked the store what they were going to do about it. They were like, "We will take care of you," but still nothing. The manager Chris was out and no one could help me when I came back. No one calls me, so I called them and he stated the owner wants to get the report from the doctor - like I killed the dog myself after paying $1,200 for it! Now my son keeps asking for this dog that we only had for a few days. You would think they would have done everything they could to make this situation right!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

This Petland is a big scam. I bought a puppy at Petland in St. Paul, MN thinking that I am going to get a healthy puppy and good customer service, which I thought worth the high prices they charge; actually, it is the opposite. They sold me a sick puppy for which I spent extra $400 for emergency room charges within couple of weeks of buying the puppy. When I called them, the employees say they can't help me and I have to talk to the owner. After trying 2 weeks repeatedly, I got hold of the owner, and he refused to take responsibility of puppy's bad health and tried to blame me for it. After arguing with him, he agreed to pay me just the medicine expenses and not everything. Fed up with the way they are responding, I agreed to it, and the owner said he will mail me a check right away. The employees say they are informing the owner every time we called them, and the owner says he was not informed by his employees. I didn't receive the check even after 3 weeks of repeated calling.

Then, I went to the store, which is 35 miles away from my home, to talk to them again. The employees say the owner is not available and they can't take any decision without him, and I can't reach the owner. It is more than 2 months now, and I called the owner numerous times, and he stopped taking my calls. This whole thing looks like a scam, and unfortunately, scams like these are run by people at a company like Petland. I recommend not buying anything from these guys and stop encouraging scammers like this; otherwise, you will end up with worst customer service and risk losing money. The employees also respond to you only until you buy the pets. After that, they just ignore you and don’t even like to listen to you. Once I bought the puppy, they started saying the owner is the only one who has the power to take any decision, and he won’t be available at the store most of the time. So to me, it looked like they are trying to avoid me instead of helping me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

I purchased a puppy and went to the vet within 48 hours. The puppy is sick, on 2 medications. I’m hoping she will be okay. The bigger issue was that the store would not exchange a collar that they sold me, which was too small for the puppy. I told them I thought it was too small and they said no. I should have insisted. I can't believe after spending $930, they would not exchange a $17 collar. If they didn't stand behind the collar, what can I expect if the puppy doesn't get better? Save yourself the trouble, shop elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2012

Well, $1,300 later, I come to find out what I suspected all along. Petland gets puppies from puppy mills. If you don't know anything about puppy mills, they are breeding places that mass breed puppies without concern for their health, behavior, or lineage integrity. They kill their dogs mercilessly and sell the rest to pet stores including Petland. Petland is a huge buyer from puppy mills. They sold me my dog for $1,100, and she has nothing but health and behavior issues. A year later and her separation anxiety is too much to handle, she's still a ball of nerves. She can't control her bladder urges and piddles in the house all the time. I have tried training her for a year to no avail. She has a thyroid condition and sheds horribly. I bought her from Petland in Davie, but don't buy from any Petland.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

Poor customer service at Petland in Frisco, Texas! On 10/24/12 between 4 and 5pm, I visited your store with the purpose of purchasing a few fish for my tank. When I walked in, I was not greeted or even acknowledged. Not once did any employee walk back to ask if I needed any assistance. I realize that I could have asked, but it is your duty to provide customer service. There were plenty of employees congregated around the cash registers, drinking sodas, that could have taken a few moments from their busy schedule and helped. I realize my purchase wasn't significant. But who is to say that wouldn't eventually be interested in one of your high-dollar pets. To make matters worse, this is the second time this has happened, but I decided to give your store another chance. Not again! I will do you a favor and provide advertising services for free using the word of mouth method.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

Kittens were cold and shivering and there was neither food nor water in the case. I felt so bad for the smallest one. The other two weren't having anything to do with. The case was near the doorway; it was in late October and it’s rainy and chilly. The kitten was shivering hard. I bought her, had her micro-chipped. There’s no record of her microchip. How can I report if she, a cat now, gets lost? I have no record and was never given one from Cleveland Heights, Ohio. She's a tortie at 7 years old (our time). Does it even work anymore? They've closed. There’s no forwarding address or information. All I want are her correct numbers! The puppies and full grown cats in the back of the store were warm and toasty. Three kittens alone were in the constant draft. That was just wrong.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

We bought a Yorkie at Petland in Pembroke Pines, Florida for $1,600. The day after, he was coughing and gagging all time. We took him to their vet, which was far from home because after spending another $500 in supplies at the store over his price, we did not have Pet Insurance to take him to a closer to home vet. Their doctor was good enough to treat him for 5 consecutive days (we dropped him and picked him up) with a nebulizer treatment and we paid $60.00.

After that, we continue treatment with a local doctor that found more troubles, and she mentioned that we could return it to Petland, but we love him so much we could not. We contacted their "warranty" department and it was a battle of back and forth faxing documents to the point we give up. So my recommendation to anyone looking for puppies, do not buy at Petland!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2012

We purchased a Boston terrier puppy for $1,300.00, took her home and the next morning, she was pooping blood and throwing up. I took her to my vet, not their awful vet. She has Giardia, turns out their vet knew this and falsified the records that allowed her to be shipped to FL. She was also severely underweight and malnourished. Our vet put her on a supplement and very good puppy food and she has gained 4 lbs in a month! She is fine and much loved and I guess we are lucky that that is all that was wrong. But it enrages me that this place can continue to sell puppies that they know are not healthy. Thank God our baby doesn't have anything else wrong with her!

I’ll never buy a puppy here again, for what I paid I could have gone to a breeder that was reputable. Oh and to top it all off, I researched her AKC papers and the place she came from is a puppy mill, so they lie to you that they are from good breeders; lie, lie, lie. Our baby is just going to be a pet and be spoiled and loved, so her pedigree is not important to me! But I don't like the bald face lying. Shame on Petland! I’ll tell everyone I know not to get a dog or anything else there!

Original review: July 23, 2012

I visited the PetLand in Vandalia Ohio to purchase dog food...my children and I fell in love with a little male Bichon. I always wanted a Bichon...and he was 75% off. I swore I would never buy a pet store animal and went against my own word and did it. He has kennel cough and ear mites (which spread to my other dog). I was not charged by the vet (for the first visit, antibiotics and 1 month of Revolution) but why would you keep sick animals near other animals and keep them untreated? The vet that "works with" PetLand said the animals are checked when they come in and if they are ever sick...well hello...apparently not...this one was sick and untreated until I took him to the vet. Please go to a rescue home and not to PetLand.

Original review: June 27, 2012

I purchased puppy at Petland on a Tuesday. I was told she had to stay to get checked by the vet. I picked her up on Friday and that same day I had to bring her back for blood in stool and trouble breathing. I was not told she was in any shape but well. I was told to go home with her and that she would be okay. Told her to go to the vet the next day and vet told me she had a broken tail and a hole on top of her head. She was sick with a cold and was given meds for cold and blood in stool. A week later she was ill and couldn’t breathe. I took her to vet and was told to take her to the ER. When I took her to the ER, she was x-rayed and in oxygen. A couple of hours later, she died. I was never told the cause of death or why she died. Petland required autopsy too late and I don’t find it fair to have to pay for a dog that I had for a week with health issues already.

Original review: June 25, 2012

I bought a Golden Retriever puppy for $900. The price was reduced because he had been there for about a month. I was not educated about puppy mills and how most pet stores get their dogs from puppy mills. My golden is almost a year old and he has always been healthy and a very good dog. I decided to research my dog's breeders, only to find that he came from a puppy mill. I reviewed reports by the USDA about the breeder, viewed the ratio of dogs and puppies owned by the breeders and inspection reports. I did not find anything too extreme about the breeder, but it was a listed puppy mill. I am very thankful that I have a healthy dog and am very saddened he came from a puppy mill. Now that I have educated myself about puppy mills, Petland and my own dog's breeders, I will not support Petland any further.

The Springfield, MO store where I purchased my golden closed recently, so much for any warranties that I signed for. I love my dog very much, but next time I get a dog, it will be adopted or from a local breeder with a good reputation. I refuse to support a business that gets its dogs from puppy mills. I recommend that everyone who has purchased a dog or is thinking about it from Petland, research the breeder.

Original review: June 23, 2012

I bought a dog in 1/2012 from a a Petland in San Antonio. They guaranteed my dog and even showed me a pedigree chart from her parents and everything. I have had nothing but problems since. Apparently, my dog has a congenital disorder where her skin is constantly falling off. She has horrible bloody patches all over and there is no way she can have a normal life. I have sent all the information the warranty place has asked for and nothing. I have not heard a word from them.

Original review: June 13, 2012

Back in 11/2011, I made the unfortunate mistake of letting my wife walk into a local Petland in Lutz, FL while I was conducting business next door at another store. Long story short, we saw a maltese/yorkie mix puppy that was very affordably priced. We say this considering the other puppies we saw were $1,500+ while this little guy was just under $300. What attracted me was his 'spunk' and very playful. We asked why he was so cheap and they said "customer left a $100 deposit on him but never came back and since they had a deposit they couldn't sell him'. I bought into it and felt bad for the pup.

We bought him and took him home. Since then, it has been constant problems. Many symptoms showing he came from a puppy mill. His testicles never dropped so he needs surgery to have them removed. He has major behavior issues, problems with eating his own feces and other problems. In fairness the sales people were nice but they were pushy and looking to make a sale. I'm in sales so I get it. No beef with them. I will never buy another puppy in the future but rather adopt a rescue. If I'm going to go through the issues, I'd rather it be rescuing.

Original review: May 13, 2012

I was at the Naperville Petland today. I always go to see their kittens, but each time is a heartbreaking experience. My boyfriend and I went into the kitten room and two tiny little ones and one larger kitten were curled up asleep on the cold floor, nothing else was offered but a cold bench. We woke them and they were cold and so skinny I could outline the spines and hipbones. We held them for sometime and they just wanted to be warm. I found a little blanket on a top perch that none of these little guys could have reached and we pulled it down and placed it on the bench for them. There was no food in the room.

When we placed them back together, they searched for food for a minute and then the two littlest kittens began to try to suckle from the larger one who just slept. It was so sad. I located a "manager" and asked him what was up. He said they just got them. Well, this is the same story I have heard before the last time I was there. They had a small underfed kitten who had blood coming out her nose. I will not accept this. I made sure to have them feed the kittens before I left, but I find this very despicable and will ensure I’ll make as many calls as I can until the issue is resolved. If they cannot take care of the cats, then just don't have them. They are suffering!

Original review: March 9, 2012

We bought our puppy (Shepherd) on February 2012. Of course, the sales lady was very nice. After we brought our puppy home, we noticed he kept coughing and he’s having a hard time breathing. We ended up bringing him to the vet. He had kennel cough and needed several other treatments. My bill was over $200 a week after we brought him home. I have phoned Petland a few times about the puppy and concerns regarding their "warranty" not being honored. The store manager yelled at me and told me I was lying.

I phone today about the procedure to check about his hips. We were told that we had to wait 10 weeks. I read the warranty and it said when the puppy was 10 weeks old (which he was over when we got him). I called to see what we were supposed to do since we were given the wrong information (we wrote it down while talking to the sales lady). The woman who just hung up on me told me that I should have just gone. It’s not their problem. I am not responsible for the test. This company is horrible! Shame on them! I am so disappointed considering the "puppy sale" still cost us over $1,300, not including his vet visit. I won't buy anything ever again from Petland and will make sure no one I know does either. I’m so disgusted.

Petland Company Information