2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

3.9/5 (588 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Pedigree Pet Foods

Pros

• Relatively inexpensive
  • Easy to find
  • Made in the U.S.

Cons

• Corn is sometimes first ingredient
  • Contains meat byproducts

Bottom Line

Pedigree Pet Food products are easy to find and competitively priced. Many of the formulas feature corn as the first ingredient and include meat by-products. It’s not the best, but it’s probably not the worst either.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Pedigree dog food

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: July 6, 2021

I've been feeding my dog Pedigree, dry for a year and a half.. No issue. I've tried several cans of wet food as a topper... He started having explosive diarrhea for 3 days!!! I finally figured out today, it was the Chopped Ground Dinner and threw it away. I see several people having this issue.. Why isn't it recalled?? I think the media or something needs to be involved because if it's affecting more pups, something needs to be done.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I feed this dog food to my dog for over the past 15 years and both of my babies have gotten sick off of this brand of dog food I just recently lost my male baby and after viewing all the other complaints I truly believe it was the dog food cause my girl dog has lost a lot of weight in the past two years and before my boy passed away he was in real good health and all of a sudden my baby lost all of his weight and you could see his ribs. Couldn’t hardly walk or nothing. This company needs to be shut down for good if it’s killing our babies. Let do something to get this company shut down.

Get buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2021

My dog has never been sensitive to dog food but this has been a nightmare. 18 hrs after giving her the chopped food she had terrible diarrhea. It took a few days to narrow down the problem, diarrhea for the entire time and had only offered a small amount of the food for the 3 days, but it was definitely the chopped dog food. Beware, bad food (additives).

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

My rescue came home from the pound eating the puppy chow so I purchased the pouches of wet to supplement her diet. I recently switched to the cans and she began having bloody mucus in her normally formed stools (seems to depend on what flavor she is having). Either way, tossing the cans. I may try the pouches again (which she LOVED) but is it possible they have 2 different recipes for the canned vs pouched food?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

My fiancé and I were buying Pedigree dry dog food for both our dogs for over a year. Well purchasing their dog food ends tonight. I saw a Facebook post another person posted 3 years ago about some kind of sharp, hairy, fibrous particles in their dry dog food. Well I went to check our bag of dog food and lo and behold... 3 years later and they are still putting that same stuff in their food the other person mentioned. Saw the same stuff in many pieces of kibble in just one scoop of it.

Since we changed their food, our dogs have been hesitant to eat. And when they do eat they don’t eat as much as they come did. One of our dogs has become very lethargic and pukes up his food a lot. The other pukes sometimes too. No wonder they have been hesitant to eat.... it makes them sick and tired! Pedigree SHAME ON YOU!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

My girl who is healthy as can be went from jumping and playing to vomiting and seizures. I've been up all night with her, the whole case will be thrown out. I thank you for this website. I knew in my heart what the problem was but needed affirmation. I am so disappointed in Pedigree, Shame on them. Going back to making my own food for them. Praying that people leave this brand alone. We learned our lesson, but at a terrible price. Her energy level is almost not there, she shakes after a walk from the living room to the kitchen. Her seizures are I will do what I can at home to help her, also fever is up and down also. Thank you Consumer Affairs for the work you do.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

I have been using this brand for almost 3 years and my dog started occasionally not eating the product and then starting have severe diarrhea sometimes bloody and uncontrollable leakage vomiting and lethargy to the point that I scheduled euthanasia because I could not afford another huge vet bill after a previous pet food experience cost me $2500.00.

Because of that I frequently check the pet food recall list and I had just checked and no this product isn’t on it. Then I searched “is pedigree making dogs sick “ and found this site! And I’m glad I did because that’s how I found out it was this brand of dog food. I cancelled euthanasia and immediately started her on chicken and rice and it’s helping. I’ve contacted pedigree and complained and also filled out a complaint with the FDA and I strongly urge anyone having problems with this or any product do the same. I will no longer ever trust or buy another can or product from any company because this is the second time I almost lost my dog due to sub par products.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Please if you love your animals don’t use canned Pedigree of any kind. In the past 3 to 4 months our dog has been sick with Bloody diarrhea with jelly in it, foam in urine and vomit with foam. I came across this site, did research and now realize it’s not because he is a senior dog. It’s because the dog food quality is questionable. With all these same issues throughout reviews pedigree needs to reevaluate their product. Quality control needs to look into this further. I too had noticed a jelly over the top of the dog food can as well as the smell not being appetizing if canned dog food can smell even a little bit not so bad. Thank you to all of you have made reviews here. Please don’t feed your dog this if you love them♥️.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Our Dog has been on this dog food for two years. He started puking and having diarrhea for the last week. He’s never done this before and been relatively very happy. We thought he had caught a bug or just had an upset stomach. That it would go away. NO! We even thought he pulled a muscle because he’s hyper and he didn’t want to move a few days ago. Today it was worse. I noticed blood and a jelly like substance in his stool. I came here for research and I read the exact same thing has happened to other people’s dogs here. I am in shock! He will no longer get a bite of this dog food and I’m going to put him on chicken and rice immediately. I purchased this product at Food Lion in Gate City Virginia and it is the beef flavored with the pink ring around the can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I have had both of my dogs at the vet for off and on the last 2 months with bloody diarrhea and vomiting blood. They have been given medication and stool medication antibiotics for parasites. They've had all kinds of tests run. $1,500 later my vet has suggested that I get them off Pedigree dry dog food and canned dog food which I was using because it's causing them to be sick and vomit blood and have diarrhea continuously. I believe something has changed and those products. I have called the company and received no response but if you love your pet I would suggest you get them off pedigree because my dogs almost died having it. Since I've switch them to another dog food and put them on chicken and rice they're doing quite well.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information