2. Pets

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: March 25, 2014

Wow, the stories I am reading are so (gulp) familiar. Having 3 dogs and some major personal medical issues we did have to switch from "premium" dog food and thought Pedigree would work as my finicky Golden Retriever seemed to love it. A few years later and I had a complete set of lab work done on the Golden, all of which was great. Said he was in wonderful shape for his age and 2 weeks later he succumbed to "pancreatitis" after 5 days on IV fluids. Changed foods just in case.

Fast forward a couple of years and my hubby bought more "on sale". Suddenly I am taking my male beagle to the hospital and 3 days and $1200 later his heart gave out. He drank a lot of water but didn't think much of it - he was hyper. Then there was a sudden paralysis progressing from his front legs to his entire body within 24 hours and while the true cause was never found they thought it might be a black widow bite. (Mind you, I still didn't know they were back on Pedigree.) This weekend (2 months later) my female beagle starts throwing up, can't even keep water down. I find out that she is on Pedigree and lost my cool. She is in the hospital, on IV and catheter for what they think is "pancreatitis" JUST like the golden retriever. I pray that when I leave to go to the vet to check on her in 30 minutes that she's going to make it. How are they even still selling this garbage?

Original review: March 24, 2014

I'm horrified after reading the reviews on Pedigree foods. After feeding only pedigree wet food to only one of my four dogs for only one day she became very ill. The first day she refused to eat, the second day she started vomiting, the next few days she had loose stool then progressed to extreme watery & mucous-filled diarrhea then bloody diarrhea. NEVER EVER feed your animals Pedigree Foods. I simply went to a low-cost canned food as I ran out of the food I supplement her kibble with.

Original review: March 24, 2014

Our dogs (one Shitzu and one Border Collie) used to eat Pedigree canned dog foods. Then they refused to eat the "cuts in gravy" varieties. Now, neither will touch the food. Something is wrong. Both have been to vet and are not sick. I've never had multiple dogs refuse to eat a particular dog food before. I feel as if they are trying to tell us they don't like it - maybe something is wrong. Just sharing our experience and curious if others are having the same thing happen. Most of this began after I found the large cans on sale for $1 each. Saved between .25 and .45 per can. Then the following week, I found it on sale - same thing - $1 per can. That's when dogs really began to walk away from it. Something has to be wrong that I believe our dogs are trying to tell us. Does anyone know?

Original review: March 23, 2014

We purchased Adult Complete Pedigree dog food approximately two weeks ago or so. Dog didn't like the food; we added other things into the food. She seemed increasingly lethargic - although - she was lying around a lot before -- now it seemed more. Today she didn't seem right. She let me cut her hair and brush her almost as if she was sleeping; but she wasn't. She went on a walk - was slow. Didn't want to eat - so bought her canned dog food which she only ate some of it. Nothing remarkable here, no vomiting, no seizures, no diarrhea...

This evening on the way to the vet (due to panting and lethargy) she died. We are sad. Not sure if it's the dog food... But I have to consider that I really do think it is the dog food. It was the new thing in her life. She was a 9 year old leonberger. The bag #'s on the side are 23100 and 31478. The numbers above the barcode to the left and right are 10084136 and 1267302 -- So if you feed this to your dog and your dog becomes increasingly lethargic, perhaps that is the sign to watch out for?

Original review: March 19, 2014

I bought this brand of dry dog food for my pups. We are on the second bag of it now. I have had 3 dogs become sickened. One died. One ended up in the hospital for 3 days, and one of them has thrown it up several times now. They were tested and treated for Parvo although the test for Parvo were negative. I will be tossing out the rest of this garbage food and notifying my vet's office immediately of my discovery.

Original review: March 19, 2014

At the first my dog only eat rice, vegetable, and meat. I sometimes give her some dog food (not Pedigree) but when we run out the dog food, I decide to buy her Pedigree at 2 March 2014 and give it daily. She enjoy it at first but then she become weak and sad because I afraid something might be wrong (without thinking it maybe the food). At 5 March, I went to the vet and the vet give her injection, and medicine. She fine at the first but then start refuse to eat anything. At 10 March, after few days I give her a baby food but she still refuse to eat, so I have to feeding her with a baby bottle. After several hours she will vomit and throwing all the food.

I went to vet at 15 March and discover that there a blood in her anal. The doctor is afraid that she maybe had a parvo but the test come out negative, the only reason is HGE and she keep bleeding and vomiting after that day on. I have to go to the vet every day since 15 March to give her an injection to keep her alive, and I very disappointed. I know I don't have any evidence but I’m sure about it, the doctor also said that I should never give her Pedigree. He said that a lot of consumer of Pedigree complain about the same sickness the dog have after eating Pedigree. I curious about it and search Pedigree review online and found many, many complaints.

I don't have any pic of the dog when she is having a blood but I have to say it's quite scary and maybe banned if I share the pic in here. She in pain and she still in pain. I hope no other dog will be in the pain she in right now. I won't feed her any dog food anymore (Pedigree especially). I hope my review help.

Original review: March 19, 2014

I just had my three year old English Bulldog put to sleep after a month of intermittent vomiting that progressively got worse. I foolishly tried to save money and fed him Pedigree for the last few months. Blood tests and x-rays showed nothing but in surgery the vet found several large cancerous tumors growing in his stomach.

Original review: March 17, 2014

I was looking online for a dog food for sensitive stomach because my dog was vomiting every day - also had a seizure twice so far. Took him to the vets to find out what was wrong with him. They ran blood work and it came back ok. Then my vet then ran several x-rays on him with contrast to see if he had blockage. He did not. I ran across this website and I couldn't believe what I read. Some other people had had their dogs having the same symptoms. I also read on Dog Advisor how poor the quality of Pedigree is and what’s in it. How can they make this product and get away with it. I will be looking for a good product for my beloved pet. Beware of Pedigree.

Original review: March 16, 2014

Tried Pedigree complete adult nutrition dry dog food. My dog liked it at first. A week into it she started throwing up and began refusing to eat. I went to the store and bought a cheap dog food to make it thru till next pay day. My dog was overjoyed with the switch and began eating again. My older dog refused the Pedigree from the start. I will not make that mistake again.

Original review: March 15, 2014

My dog is almost two years old... Being that he's growing out of the puppy stage, I decided to mix canned wet food with his dry food. He's always eaten IAMS dry food all his life which suits him well. For canned food I bought Pedigree... I didn't know any better. I thought because it was popular it would be a better brand. I am not a dog expert. After eating the canned food, for the next three days he's had terrible diarrhea with blood. He hasn't eaten either. I've had to give him dry toast to ease his stomach. Now he is feeling better, his stools are firmer. I can't believe this happened after 1/2 a can of the wet dog food. The food was not expired. I will certainly never make the same mistake again.

Original review: March 10, 2014

I cannot be sure Pedigree caused my dog's health problems, but I will say that she has shown significant health improvement since we switched her to a different brand. We had her on Pedigree since 2000 when we first got her as a puppy. There were no problems until sometime during the year 2012 when she started vomiting bile 1-2 times daily. During the year 2013, we also noticed her stools were runny and green and her energy levels were noticeably lower. She barely ate and barely moved, and she began vomiting bile 5-10 times daily. We did a blood test and had her examined by the Vet, but found nothing. We assumed she would pass away soon.

Then during October of 2013, it occurred to me that maybe there was a recall on her food. I found that there was no official recall issued, but other pet owners on this forum had similar complaints - especially during the time period during our dog's illness. So we switched her to a more expensive brand in November of 2013 and soon afterwards her symptoms improved tremendously. She still vomits bile, but she is playful and energized again. Her coat and skin are healthier and she has a healthy appetite again. Seems like her health improvements definitely coincided with the change in food.

Original review: March 10, 2014

I went to Walmart and bought my boxer dry bag of Pedigree dog food. He went from a health dog to a very sick dog. Within a week, he had 3 seizures and throwing up bile. To find that it was me that was killing my dog by finding him Pedigree dog food makes me mad that Pedigree was aware of this and did nothing to protect my dog. Now my dog is on medication to stop the seizures.

Original review: March 7, 2014

We usually use Purina Small Bites dog food for our two small dogs which are a Poodle and a Dachshund. The last two times we bought food we bought Pedigree Small Breed nutrition. We wanted to switch up because it seemed they were getting tired of the usual kind we bought for them. That was the biggest mistake we ever

made. My poodle passed away this morning, 3-06-14. Like you said, we have stuck to the same dog food and just decided the past couple weeks to change their food. They seemed to like the Pedigree a lot.

This morning I heard my poodle throwing up. I went to check on him and he had thrown up two piles of what looked like his dog food. Then it seemed like he was

struggling to get the rest out and he laid down and passed away. When I went to wrap him up for proper burial I saw that his tongue was very thick and it looked as if he died having a seizure. A friend of my husband said that he heard about Pedigree dog food causing dogs to die so I looked online to see what others were saying. If I would have seen these people's complaints and responses before now, then I would have NEVER bought this food for my dogs and my poodle would probably still be alive today.

I just threw away the rest of the Pedigree food that I had left so that my Dachshund will not be eating that kind ever again. Age may have something to do with it. My poodle was about 7 and my Dachshund isn't even a year old but I will not take any chances with my dog's life. I just hate my Poodle Milo had to die. I suggest any of you who feed your dogs Pedigree to quit ASAP so that your dog can live a long healthy life.

Original review: March 5, 2014

I purchased 2 50lb bags of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition from Walmart. It killed 7 of my dogs and 5 pigs. I had the dog food tested to see what was wrong with it. The results came back that the rancidity was high. This causes many health problems including death.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your dog. We started feeding ours Pedigree early this week and she had a series of 7 seizures this morning. She is now with the vet. I can't believe this is happening.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2014

For everyone that is having major troubles with this brand of dog food, take a look at the side of the bag where the ingredients are listed and nutritional facts. It clearly states that this brand of dog food is not an approved source of nutrients. I would never recommend this brand to any pet owner, if you love you dog like a child this is the worst thing you could feed them. The first ingredient isn't even meat. That there shows its a waste of money. You always want to read the ingredients and nutritional facts before buying your pets food. Always look for a brand where the first ingredient is a meat. Our loved pets need six basic food nutrients to be healthy and happy: carbohydrates, proteins, fats, minerals, vitamins, and most importantly water. Puppies should be have 4-6 small meal portions for proper feeding to prevent bloating and obesity at a young age, and for adult dogs, they should have 2-3 meals per day to again prevent bloating and obesity...

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a 55-lb bag of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition from Costco. We don't normally feed our dogs the dry Pedigree, but on occasion will use the canned food. We woke up three days ago to find that our smaller dog had passed away sometime overnight and we were heartbroken. I had assumed it was due to old age as she is approximately 13 years old. However after talking to my son who had been feeding her, he mentioned that she was lethargic, excessively thirsty and had lost her appetite a few days prior. In thinking back, I remember my husband telling me that our dogs didn't care for the Pedigree that I had just purchased. In order to get them to eat it, he was adding some canned food to the dry. He noticed that they would pick around the dry and try to only eat the wet.

Well yesterday, I got a call from my son asking me what we had fed our other the dog that morning. Just the Pedigree. He then told me that our larger dog had started vomiting. A light bulb went off in my head and I asked him to throw out any food that was left in his dish. I had also remembered my husband telling me that our larger dog was short of breath a few days earlier when he was out playing with him. I couldn't help to suspect that the Pedigree was making our dog sick. I went online to see if there was any information about a possible recall of the Pedigree dog food. Instead I found a multitude of complaints about Pedigree dog food. Most people reporting how their dogs became ill in a matter of days and how some eventually died.

While reading through these testimonials from other pet owners, I am convinced that it was the Pedigree that caused the death of our dog and the illness in the other. I'm outraged that this is happening. It is being reported, but there has yet to be any kind of recall. How can we all have dogs with the same exact symptoms with a single common denominator and yet no action taken by the company?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

We switched our dogs to pedigree for two weeks. Our yorkie got sick with throwing up and seizures. We took him to the vet and his whole system was shutting down. After a lot of money and a week of nursing him we had to put him down. Meanwhile our outside dog, a collie, just looked like she did not feel good for about an hour. The kids found her dead. We are worried about the two dachshund puppies, we let eat it. They seem to be ok so far. I think it just was bad for the two older dogs. They were 7 and 10.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

I've been reading all these post and my dog has had the same symptoms. I've been feeding him Pedigree puppy food for a week and he started having seizures and diarrhea. I'm going to take him off the food and see if he gets better. I was so concerned about him.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2014

We recently switched to Pedigree Complete Nutrition 55 lb Dry dog food from Sam's Club. The first three bags my 3 dogs did fine. The 4th bag we noticed that the Terrier mix was vomiting frequently and the Dachshund mix was not as active. We thought they were getting into something outside. Last week our Lab had a very strange episode where he was opening his mouth, turning his head sideways and sticking his tongue out all contorted. It went away as fast as it started. We opened a new bag 1 week ago and they all three do nothing but sleep. They all 3 have vomited and have the most disgusting breath. They have horrible gas that is running us out of the room. The Terrier mix's tummy gurgles constantly.

The Lab is 12 years old and seems to be having a harder time seeing than normal and is shedding in clumps. We put two and two together that maybe the bag of food we recently opened was bad. They all three have been drinking more water than normal as well. I will contact their Vet but after seeing the other recent posts I can safely assume that there is an issue with the bulk Pedigree dry dog food. It is a shame because they like it better than other brands we have purchased.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

I have a AKC Certified Pedigree Papillion who I can not breed because of the seizures caused by the small breed Pedigree dog food I fed him that came from your company. I took him to the vet on 7/15/13, and paid 254.30 to have the vet tell me it could be anything and to change everything and slowly introduce new stuff. So I changed everything including your food and it stopped. Recently I reintroduced your food and BAM, he had another seizure. Everything else had been reintroduced except your food. Now I don't want anything from you, but you need to remove the defective product from the shelves. After doing research I realized that a lot of people are having the same problems, some people even worse. You have made the dog I paid a LOT of money for useless as a breeder, no dog that has had seizures can be breed as AKC.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

I'm concerned as I read about Pedigree dog food. My dog was raised on the Pedigree dry dog food for most of her life. I usually buy the very large bags at Sam's club - I believe they are 55 lb. and during the winter I stock up so I don't have to buy such a big item every time. My dog will be 14 in Oct; however, she has had two serious bouts of what I would consider is some type of intestinal problem. The first time it happened her symptoms were more diarrhea and loose sometimes bloody stool (this was about 4 - 5 months ago) then just 3 weeks ago she started throwing up multiple times in one day. She is the type of dog who only eats when hungry so we put food in her bowl and she only eats 2x day. She is not considered overweight.

Given that she threw up all weekend, I took her to the vet the following Monday. They told me to put her on a bland diet chicken/rice or ground beef/rice and this along with Flagyl and one other med seemed to keep her somewhat stable. After her meds were up, I started to mix the Pedigree dry with some of the home cooked meals - she threw up once after that and we weren't too concerned, then a day later she had the worst diarrhea. She was actually having to go while before she could even squat down - it was awful. I took her for a follow up as this concerned us that something more serious could be wrong. She was negative for worms, and they took some blood work to investigate further. With the other notes about how down and out these other dogs were, I am fairly certain that the Pedigree food is to blame.

We did not keep the bags since we bought in quantity and combined in a container at home, so I have no way to trace - plus I understand that the company has NOT officially called for a recall. My dog is now on IAM's Vet blend - it's very expensive and I may go back to just cooking for her, but I'm not going to give her any more Pedigree. I am a consumer who does not wish to buy products from China - and if this is where the problems lie, this is the wrong way for the company to increase profit margins at the expense of pets and their owners. I'm learning about this news a bit late, as I read, these types of experiences were in the news for some time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

We decided to change up our dog's food with Pedigree adult dog food. The next day, she was excessively vomiting and when she didn't have anything on her stomach, she was vomiting up bile. At first we thought that she had got a hold of something, but then realized when she ate this food, about an hour later she would puke it up. We decided to take away her dog food & feed her something bland, like boiled chicken. She ate that and a couple hours later, that was back up. She finally got to where she wouldn't eat at all for the rest of the day. Finally on Sunday, she was able to keep a few milkbones down. Then another brand of food. Now, it is Wednesday, and she is finally back to her normal self. I am glad that we figured it out that it was the dog food in time, before it cost us more than that.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

We got a new dog and started feeding him Pedigree. He had severe diarrhea with blood. Took him to the vet and they treated as if he had gastroenteritis. This seems to be clearing up. I suspected Pedigree the symptoms began as soon as I started feeding my 2 dogs a new bag of Pedigree. I continued to feed my other dog the Pedigree and she started to have diarrhea as well. I can only suspect the Pedigree.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2014

We have used Pedigree dog food for years. In December we bought a new bag and both our dogs refused to eat it. Like others on here we left it until they were so hungry they would eat. I finally bought canned food to mix in it so they would eat. They were vomiting etc. And we called the vet. They had us make rice and boil chicken to get the older dog to eat. By this time it was too late.. We took her to the vet and they gave her medicine. A few days later her organs started shutting down and we had to put her down. We still did not know what was wrong with the dogs. I just found this site and see everyone is having the same things happening to their dogs. Someone needs to do something to get this food off the market. We bought ours at Costco.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

Not really sure when we started feeding our sheltie Dentastix... was a lunch treat. In October 2012, he was given a clean bill of health for his annual check up. We were told he was in excellent shape. In summer (2013), we noticed his eyes and hearing were failing. Filmy covering developed over eyes almost overnight... like cataracts, but not really cataracts. Seems to have suddenly gone deaf. Chalked it up to him being almost 12 years old. In October 2013 physical, he had lost weight from last year's physical... from 19 to 14.5; noted to vet that he had recently started falling down.. would sort of zone out and then fall over.

Vet found a slight heart murmur and thyroid values were elevated. Attributed falling over to heart murmur and thyroid issues. Noticed some shaking like Parkinson's or something. Took him to vet 3 or 4 more times for additional blood work, x-rays, etc. Started him on pills. Pills didn't seem to help much. He lost appetite and we tried several different food ideas (from dry to canned and finally to vet recipe). Eats, but doesn't really seem as interested most of the time. He started to cover up his urine spots in the snow, with more snow.. urine smells ammonia like. More tests revealed failing kidneys and problems with urine filtering properly. Sleeps a lot.

We were advised to "prepare for the worst." He is still with us, but believe his time is limited. Am wondering now about whether the Dentastix have contributed to his slow demise and if they are another China creation, even though I believe the bag shows manufactured in USA. If I had read some of these reviews on this manufacturer earlier, we might not have ever given them to our dog.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2014

I bought a large bag of Pedigree small breed dry food 4 months ago and my dogs would not eat it... I just thought they were not hungry. They would eventually eat it because I would not feed them anything else... so I tried other dog food and they ate it just fine. Then I accidentally bought it again the other day and after the first day one of my dogs' stomach was going crazy with sounds! Crazy. Then they started puking it up all day yesterday and today.... they will not touch it. Still in their bowls right now.... Now I have always fed my dogs Pedigree, never had a problem until the past year. I am going to pull it out of their bowls, wasted 14dollars... and go get them something different.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2014

I have always fed my 10-year-old American Bull Terrier the large dry dog food because he is big, all 90 lbs of him. In less than 2 days after opening this last bag, he started to spit up some and then he started to vomit and runny stool. Took him to the Vet, he gave him a shot ran blood work and some pills for his stomach. He is a lot better and is going to be alright, but he sure was sick. They know there should be a recall put out on their product but that would hurt their bottom line and the Inspectors turn their head.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2014

I have used Pedigree about 15-20 years ago with no problems. So when I decided to have a service dog, I naturally chose Pedigree. My dog has off and on chose to eat puppy, both wet and dry and now is/was on sensitive stomach for about six months. Lately she has refused to eat any of it, both wet and dry. I have enticed her to eat it with meat juices, etc. Since we moved into the new place she outright refused to eat, has become thin and now is lethargic; has even thrown up this stuff. I chose not to give her anymore, hoping I am not too late. I since have been feeding her homemade food: brown rice, some potato, lentils, cooked chicken gizzards and livers, and spinach (which she eats even when being so weak). I have an appointment for the vet this afternoon, we will tell you what has happened. I am going to take this bag of Pedigree to the vet's. I will let you know the results.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

I have purchased Pedigree Canned dog food for my dogs for years. I recently opened a can of chopped chicken and as I was feeding it out into my 2 yorkie's dogs bowl right in the middle was big chunks of hair and skin. I had to look twice to see what I was looking at. This was the most disgusting sight I had ever seen. I showed it to my daughter to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I took pictures and called the distributor's number on the can. She said they would notify the quality control plant and send me coupons. No thanks, I will not purchase this for my dogs ever again. I have now learned this is a common practice in making dog food, so I am now in search of a new healthy dog food for my pets. I don't understand why the makers of these dog foods would go to great lengths to save money. These pets are part of our lives and our family, and deserve better.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information