3.60/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Pedigree Pet Foods

Looking for a good dog food brand?

1085 Pedigree Pet Foods Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

I changed my dogs' food to Pedigree and within a week my shepherd was dead. I've read that I'm not the first. How tragic! What are they putting in their food?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

For the first time, I decided to try Healthy Diet dry dog food by Pedigree with my dogs when it was on sale. Both my dogs started vomiting within an hour or two after eating it, and every time they ate it. I went back to my regular Kibble and Bits, and they were fine. So just for an experiment, I fed them Pedigree Healthy Diet a few days later, and the vomiting started up again. I dumped the near full 15-pound bag in the trash and my dogs have been vomit free ever since. I noticed online a plethora of complaints about Pedigree causing dogs to vomit, and am curious how and why Pedigree still sells such products?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

I had a Chocolate Labrador Retriever who was 11 years old June 21, 2013. He had begun to have hip problems the last 2 or 3 months and I took him to the vet and we decided to try Prednisone. It seemed to be working and last week the vet recommended going from one pill a day to one every other day.

I had been feeding him Kibbles and Bits until about 7 months ago when I decided to switch to Pedigree dry food. Then about a month or 6 weeks ago, I decided to add a can of Pedigree to his supper meal of dry Pedigree, thinking I was treating him. Two weeks ago he threw up, but then he didn't do it anymore. He did slow down on his eating at times, seeming hesitant to eat even the canned food, though he would do so. Saturday, November 2, 2013 he threw up in the house. He was a house dog and very well trained, never using the bathroom in the house since he was a puppy. I left about 2:00 pm Saturday afternoon and got home about 9:00 pm Saturday evening. Buddy had thrown up big time 3 different times!

In the last couple of weeks he had begun drinking an extraordinary amount of water. I thought that maybe his hip medicine was making him thirsty. He was lying on his bed. As I was cleaning up his messes, he started trying to throw up again and I took him outside. He was unable to do so as he probably had nothing left to throw up. Then he just sat down and looked at me. I called him and he just sat there looking at me. He had never refused to come before. I went over and talked to him and he finally got up and came in the house.

I then went and got some liquid Pepto-Bismol and gave to him. We had tried some hip medicine some time before and it made him sick and the vet said give him pepto so I had a syringe for that. I put some water under his nose and he took a few sips of that and promptly threw it up. I stayed up with him and a few times he tried to throw up, but there wasn't anything. He was panting really hard and several times he just started to quiver. I had noticed over the last couple or 3 weeks he had started panting really hard I wondered about this, but attributed it to the fact he was getting old. Buddy was a beautiful chocolate lab, well trained, very well mannered, and a gift from my late wife who also loved him. I think everyone loved him. He was my best friend and companion, always greeting me at the door. His last hours were miserable.

At about 4:35 am on Sunday, November 3 he died. I miss him terribly. If his death was natural, I regret it, but can accept it as part of life, which can be hard. However if Pedigree had anything to do with it, they should be put out of business and the head people thrown in jail. I had heard a few weeks earlier about some dog food possibly killing dogs, but didn't hear the name. I never imagined that it would be a national, well-known brand such as Pedigree. But after Buddy died something told me to check into it and I found Pedigree was the accused. I don't know that they are guilty. But I recommend that anybody feeding their dogs Pedigree, quit right now and throw out whatever they have left and buy a different brand until and if Pedigree can prove their innocence. If they are innocent, I feel for them. If they are guilty, then any punishment isn't good enough for them.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2013

I am writing this post in a state of shock and horror because my little six month old pug named Attila, just died late last night in the care of a veterinarian, after falling ill with Parvo-like symptoms that might have been caused by being fed Pedigree little bites dog food for the first time last week. I made a dreadful mistake last Tuesday when I chose to pick up a bag of the Pedigree food as a convenience at the grocery store, largely because I didn't want to drive out of my way to buy our dogs usual food.

After feeding our four adult pugs and our one pug puppy the new food that Tuesday and Wednesday at their accustomed feeding time, all of them became sick- throwing up the new food after eating it- with little Attila seeming to have the worst stomach upset. My wife and I immediately stopped feeding the dogs the new food and re-stocked their regular brand instead. Fortunately, by Thursday the four older dogs all seemed to return quickly to normal, but the puppy seemed to be having a harder time, even though he was acting fairly normally.

On Thursday Attila was still trying to play and interact with my wife and I, as well as with the other dogs, but he showed little interest in food even though he did eat a small amount of his regular food, and his formerly extremely high energy level were dropping. At this point, we hoped he was getting over the problem with the food change, and resolved to take him to the vet if it seemed like he was getting any worse. By Friday evening, when we saw him again after returning from work, the change had become alarming, and even though the puppy was not running a fever, he seemed chilled to the bone, and he definitely showed no interest in eating or physically moving. We tried to feed him cottage cheese and white rice to soothe his stomach, and bundled him up in his favorite blanket and resolved to take him to the vet in the morning if he didn't improve- a decision that I deeply rue, considering the eventual consequences.

On Saturday morning we found that the puppy had left bloody mucus-like diarrhea and dry vomit in his crate so we immediately took him to the local vet where they gave Attila a blood transfusion, hooked up an IV, put him on anti-biotics and recommended that they keep him under observation until at least this Monday. The veterinarian treated Attila for Parvovirus, as that is what all of the symptoms indicated, and told us that it was lucky that we had caught this in its early stages, that Attila had responded very well to the treatment, and that we could expect a full recovery. As of yesterday, he was fully responsive, showed no fever, was re-hydrated, and we expected to bring our friend back home today or tomorrow.

That was until this morning, when I called at the vet's opening time to get an update about Attila's status, and I was told that my little dog passed away last night at 11PM.

For my part, I cannot stop thinking about what I could have done differently to have taken care of my wonderful puppy better than I did- I should never have changed his dog food because I wanted to save time going to a more convenient store, and I should have taken him to the vet the instant he appeared to be getting ill- and these are brutally hard thoughts to wrestle with. That said, the pain that my wife and I are dealing with today has also evidently been felt by many loving families that have trusted in the Pedigree brand of dog food and seen their beloved companions hurt by it.

Before this nightmare happened, and before I discovered and read some of the recent anecdotal accounts of similar Pedigree related tragedies, I had no idea that buying the products of such a reputable brand might be hazardous. It is possible that the new dog food had nothing to do with Attila's sickness and death, as well as the temporary sickness of out other adult dogs, but after discovering so many recent and similar stories posted here and on other forms, I smell a rat. It strains credulity to imagine that the sickness and death reported by many Pedigree using pet owners is coincidence, contrivance, or fantasy.

After the heartbreak of the last week, and the brutal realization that I will never hold little Attila in my lap again and that my family has lost at least the next ten years of his companionship, I will tell anybody And everybody that I know- for the rest of my life- to not buy Pedigree or any other brands that originate from their parent company or business partners. Furthermore, we have saved the suspect dog food and receipt of purchase, and we will have a necropsy performed on my poor, beloved and missed puppy Attila, and we will explore ever possible option to make sure as many people as possible learn about the dangers of this product.

I have included some pictures of my friend Attila below, and the one of him in the towel was taken the last time I saw him alive at our local veterinarian's office, just before he received treatment.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2013

I have two large breed dogs - one is a champion purebred yellow lab and the other is a Plotthound mix. This morning, I was very unpleasantly surprised to find dry mold on several pieces of dog food, so I saved some of it in a plastic bag. I was not aware of any of the recent complaints/problems with Pedigree dog food so all of this comes as a total shock to me. Feeding my dogs food containing poisonous mold makes me very angry and now I'm beginning to think that some of the health related problems my dogs have been experiencing in the last (month or two) are related to this.

My Plotthound has developed a tumor, under his front armpit which continues to grow... Both dogs have become somewhat lethargic, lazy, and stool has been running for a week. After researching a bit online, I've found that MANY other Pedigree buyers are experiencing similar problems with their animals and perhaps even death after use of this product. This makes me both sad and extremely concerned since my dogs are VERY important to me. I threw out 2 large bags of the food this morning and I'm not looking back. I may call my attorney later this afternoon and get some advice. I suggest everyone do the same and I'm thinking we should all start a class action lawsuit against Mars, Inc for medical damages and product reimbursement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

My 9-year old female Pitbull Terrier CoCo, spayed and healthy, she's never close to other dogs (we're her pack) and we've had her since a pup and have been feeding her Pedigree for the last 5 years with no noticeable problems, until a few weeks ago. We bought her Pedigree dry Healthy Longevity with lamb and rice. After piecing the puzzle together and ruling out her getting into anything in the house (she sleeps in a kennel and is with someone 90% of the time and if she's left alone, she's either in my room or in her kennel, which are both doggie proofed), well now it's been going on 3 weeks of very foul diarrhea and gas. She has the diarrhea several times a day and sometimes several times in one outing.

She's now lost her appetite, but does seem a bit lazier than the norm, drinks water like crazy and pants sometimes even when she's resting or it isn't even hot. Now that I'm really thinking about it, the only time she showed improvement was when I had her fast and just gave her liquid, plain water and rice water once that day. My husband first suggested that it may be the particular bag of food, so we went to a different store and bought her another small bag Pedigree dry Active with Chicken and Vegetable and it all starts again. Stopped feeding her the Pedigree again as of today. I want to fast her today, keeping plenty of water on hand hoping that will help flush that poison out of her.

When I started reading all the posts on this site, I had to share ours. If Pedigree is truly responsible for making these poor fur babies suffer and even die, then they should be held liable!!!!! My CoCo is not in life threatening distress, but this is def not the norm and never has been. However, I want to get down to wth is going on before it gets to that. I pray for us all and our fur babies! Pedigree Dog Food needs to be stopped or stand up and take responsibility!!!! PS..... I have both questionable bags of Pedigree in isolation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

I gave my two fur-babies the new beef flavor. They both got sick.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

I bought this Pedigree Dentastix last month for my 8 month old pup on her birthday. I started to give her one stix a day for a few days. First few days, seemed to be fine and then after that she immediately threw up. I remembered one day she threw up almost 10 times. We were worried and stopped giving her any food...only ice cube for 24 hrs. After that, we gave her brown rice and broiled chicken...mixed with her daily food. She seems to be okay for weeks without any treats. BUT this morning I decided to give her one Pedigree Dentastix after finish daily walking. She immediately vomited and her lips were swollen. I freaked out and went to see the vet very quickly.

They gave her a fast injection to cure her swollen. They told me to give her Benadryl (25mg) for 4 times to make the swollen go away. Observe her for 24 hrs. I am pretty sure that she definitely has the problem with that Pedigree Dentastix. She is a very healthy and strong puppy. Go out for a walk 1.25 miles almost every day. I am sorry that I didn't read this review's thread before. Otherwise she would not have been sick. :(

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

I have three healthy dogs, ages 6, 5 and 3. These are my babies and I treat them as such. Very well taken care of. I purchased a bag of Pedigree Dentastix a few weeks ago and gave them each one for a few days. I noticed my 6 year old one night acting strange. She was in my bed and woke up in the middle of the night. I thought she just needed to go outside. So, I got and proceeding to let her out, but I noticed she wouldn't jump off the bed. So, I picked her up and set her on the ground. Immediately she stumbled. I carried her outside and after she relieved herself, she took one step and started stumbling. She looked completely drunk. I knew something was wrong. This has never happened. I tried to remain calm and stayed up with her until she fell asleep.

The next morning, I noticed her stumbling again and soon after, she had a seizure. That night, the same thing happened with my three year old puppy. She woke up in the middle of the night and had a seizure in the bed. I panicked. I can't stand seeing them in any distress. These dogs are truly part of my family. Vet ran tests on both of them and both showed nothing negative. I started racking my brain trying to figure what was wrong and realized the only change made in their diet or lifestyle was the Dentastix. I have stopped giving them those and have not had an episode since.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2013

I read on Consumer Affairs warning about Pedigree dry dog food the same morning that my Boston started vomiting and was very ill. She also had very loose stools and was passing a slimy substance. She had never been sick previously. I had been feeding her Pedigree for about a year. I immediately gave her some water with a little vinegar added. Had to use eye dropper to get her to drink. I fed her some spoonfuls of Pure Pumpkin. I trashed the Pedigree. She has recovered and now she gets a highly recommended natural dry food. However I see recalls on lots of brands, even the highly recommended. The food I am now using has never been recalled, thank goodness.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

This review is being written for my parents who bought the Pedigree Dentastix in October 2013. They have a 15-lb Dachshund that vomited less than 20 minutes of eating one of these things and didn't stop for two days! Thankfully the dog has been better since.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2013

My 8 year old Lab mix, Rudi, had to be put down 1.5 weeks ago. He started losing weight about 4 or 5 weeks prior and then started having vomiting and diarrhea as well as loss of appetite. He was losing weight rapidly but his stomach was blowing up. I didn't pay much attention at the time we got his last bag of Dentastix about 2 weeks before all this started that he wasn't that crazy about them anymore, like he had been. The vet did blood work and said he had very elevated liver enzymes. After further x-rays and tests, his liver and spleen were very enlarged and there was a large mass as well as fluid leaking into the abdomen which they feel was probably blood. We tried for a while to see if meds or eating whatever he liked would help, but in the end he could barely walk and didn't want to eat anything, so we had no choice to put him down. He was very thirsty for those weeks. I feel so sad he is gone, but much worse now after reading all of these stories. I wish I would have known!!! I miss you Rudi!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I just feed my dog some dog food and found a piece of brown rubbery stuff. No, it is not the food this rubber. It is chicken & rice dinner in meaty juices.13.2 oz. On the bottom of the can BB 080415 21 2 332BKKCF 2144GG. Be on the lookout.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2013

Last Wednesday, I bought a bag of Pedigree dry dog food. This was the only change in his care. We haven't had him very long. He was a puppy and had his shots. He runs in the backyard and slept in the crate at night if it is cold, or in his dog house outside if it isn't. I fed him from the new bag of food on Wednesday, and on Wednesday evening, he was acting a little different, sort of sluggish. He would be better and then seem a little off again. Yesterday, he threw up but his food was disappearing. He was drinking water and seemed hydrated.

Being that it was a weekend and I didn't think that his being a little off was life threatening, I decided to wait until Monday to take him to the vet. I shouldn't have, because this morning he was dead. My husband, today, said the only difference was the dog food, so we began looking online and sure enough, there are several reports of this a week!!!! Why won't Pedigree stand up and say something? Recall their food??? Today, my little boy lost his puppy.... This just isn't okay with me... If there is a class action suit, I am in!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2013

If I could give a rating of 0, I would. The products this company produces aren't even worthy of rating and should just receive a 0. My dogs have eaten Pedigree Adult "Complete Nutrition" for a very long time; one getting-up-there mix who is now 11 and a little beagle who is 6. Sam, the older, has eaten it for nearly 8 years of his life and Precious, my beagle, has eaten it for all 6 of hers, until yesterday.

A little background: Sam began getting lumps under his skin and one broke out on his back but was surgically removed. It was black and disgusting and he still has them under the skin. They are not ticks. They have been examined and are benign. Precious now has Addison's, and it is interesting to see many posts related to dogs having kidney failure after eating this product.

After researching the ingredient "meat and bone meal" and finding its disgusting origin (ground up parts of zoo animals, road kill, euthanized animals, sick animals, etc) and that it is at the top of the list in pedigree, I have also found the link to Addison's and possibly even the lumps. In further research, I have found a link between Addison's (adrenal fatigue, kidney failure, etc), dog food, and B12. I am not saying that Pedigree has caused the disease or the lumps, but really, the red flags are all around and I am really considering taking legal action against this company.

Putting aside the research, both dogs have had a history of throwing up their food after getting this product, if only we had realized sooner that it was the food. I for one was ignorant to what was being put in dog food and thought it was all the same, going on believing the dogs were getting into trash, or something outside. No, please be careful with all of the choices. Avoid meat and bone meal, which is a main ingredient in many of Pedigree's product. I truly wonder, since as humans if we become cannibals, we contract health problems. This is not coincidence.

Avoid Pedigree at all costs and research for yourself what I've shown above. It's shocking. In this day, things are masked from the public. Please be sure to, just as we do for ourselves, check the ingredients of everything you give your dog.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2013

I purchased Pedigree Vital Protection Adult Dry Food believing this to be one of the best brands to buy my dog... I was wrong. I have two dogs of different breeds and both dogs were constantly throwing up and being sick while on this food. As soon as I stopped giving it to them and changed to a another brand, they stopped being sick and got better. What the hell is in this food? My dogs are my babies and if I were feeding an actual child, there would be stricter practices and they wouldn't get away with this!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2013

I have three very beloved dogs that were my husband's who passed away Feb. of 2013. They were our babies. I fed them what I thought was the best dry dog food. Turns out the dog food is what killed two of them. I expect the third one to pass soon. They bled to death, stopped eating. These dogs were very healthy dogs. Now they are gone. I am heartbroken. I still have the bag and a new bag. I refuse to give them any more Pedigree food. I need help to make them recall the food and be responsible for the death of my beloved pets. They did not have to suffer this way. How many other dogs have had such horrible deaths? These dogs were my babies. Pedigree needs to be responsible.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2013

I have only been feeding my dog Pedigree wet food for the last 2 weeks and he has become very ill. His diarrhea has gotten really bad since the day before yesterday. He had 5 diarrhea episodes today and each one has gotten worse. I'm taking a stool sample to the vet tomorrow. They just saw my dog last week so they can prescribe something without seeing him tomorrow. I hope I have caught this in time. I've been up since 4 am since my dog woke me and he frantically runs around the house whenever he's about to have a diarrhea episode. This is grotesque that this is happening to so many people from dog food! I'm letting my vet know about this tomorrow and will immediately buy another food to try. I'm praying I caught this early enough that my baby will be okay. He's a Retriever Chow mix and 9 yrs old. I agree a class action lawsuit needs to be filed. This is a disgrace that so many dogs have been poisoned and died from something the FDA says is safe!!! Unconscionable!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2013

My dog is now at the animal hospital being treated for kidney failure brought on by the results of giving him both Pedigree dry dog food and canned food. He was an active, healthy dog but after giving him this food, within hours, he became lethargic, stopped eating and drinking followed by throwing up bile with blood. He is very sick. Hopefully he will pull through this but I don't understand how a company receiving so many complaints cannot recall their product. Maybe a class action suit against this company will make them think twice about putting out products that hurt animals. Is there any way to test the food? I'll send mine where I can to get it tested. It is a disgrace!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2013

On September 29th, I bought the Pedigree Dentastix for both of my dogs, which are both over 50lbs. I gave them each one stick. In less than an hour, both dogs were vomiting. One of my dogs had traces of blood in her vomit. This went on for the entire week. One dog stopped eating her dog food and the other would eat then vomit. Couple days into this, both dogs started having diarrhea. The vomiting was bad enough that bile was coming up. This evening, I also sent a complaint to Pedigree. Luckily as of last night, there hasn't been any diarrhea or vomiting.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2013

We came home from holiday in May and our dog had been in kennels - the same kennels we have used for 30 years. He was happy and healthy. Four days later, he started being lethargic and then started with terrible diarrhea. He is 12 years old and has never made a mess in the house, but this time he actually climbed the stairs, three times, to wake us up to let him out. We took him to the vets who gave him antibiotics and said to go back in a week. During the next few days he got worse. He was frothing at the mouth, was weak, finding it difficult to get in the car and panting. My daughter suggested a second opinion and so we took him to her vet, on the Friday.

After a thorough examination, she put him on probiotics and ran a battery of tests. We expected the results on the following Monday. On the Sunday night he was so poorly that my husband sat up with him all night. We really thought we were losing our beloved dog. The vet phoned the next morning and said his thyroid levels were so low that he needed an immediate supplement. He was put on a high dose of thyroxine equivalent. During the next two weeks he was tested for Cushing's Disease and had numerous tests and tablets. His thyroid levels then went sky high. During this time he was panting and frothing and could hardly walk.

I had read the reviews on this website and I can only come to the conclusion that it was the Pedigree that we fed him on when we returned home from holiday. He had been on a different brand in the kennels and then we bought a new batch of Pedigree on our return. Getting him well has been a long haul. We were due to go away again in September and up to the week before, I was unsure whether to go and leave him. It has taken three months and a lot of money to get him right. He is now off the thyroid tablets as that has stabilized and is more or less like his old self. Needless to say, we changed his food the moment he started being poorly (thanks to reading your website). I am not aware of anything being reported about this in England but the similarities are too close to ignore. Thank you everyone for reporting this.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

I bought this package of wet dog food Monday night, September 30. Tuesday morning, woke to find dog hair all over floor. Dog was initially scratching non-stop. By noon, her face around eyes and mouth was swollen. Gave her Benadryl and the swelling reduced for a few hours but regularly returned. Today is Thursday. Dog has been vomiting within an hour of eating. She's finally refusing to eat but still vomiting regularly. She is still scratching and chewing hair out. Hopefully now that we realized it was the dog food (thanks for all these complaint stories, they were very helpful) she will continue to get better. I reported to the Walmart where I bought it.

The customer service lady thanked me because she bought same dog food Tuesday and her dog has been pulling out hair but not vomiting. Her manager, however, did not care and told me it was a problem with the manufacturer, which I told her I understood but I thought they might want to remove the product from their shelves but they seemed uninterested. How sad. Hopefully, the customer service employee will do something even if her manager won't. We are saving the product rather than returning so we can have it tested. This is very disturbing. We had only used the beef flavored. We only add a little bit to dry dog food for taste. So it didn't take much per meal to make our dog very sick.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

In July of 2013, I bought a bag of Pedigree, which I fed to my rat terrier Shiloh and German Short-hair Crystal. Bought another bag in August. During this bag and a half, I noticed they were losing weight and hair, LOTS of hair, and throwing up bile. I got up August 28th 2013 and Crystal was dead, and now Shiloh has been at the vet's office with bronchial pneumonia and antibiotics are NOT doing anything. I took her into vet. She wasn't eating but really coughing. They gave her injections, kept her a few days and sent her home.

Less than a week later I made an emergency call to the vet at 4am on a Sunday and he has tried everything he can. Her little lungs are full of congestion. She is still losing hair and he says he would like to keep her about 2-3 more weeks (he is puzzled over this but I don't have the money to send her to Michigan State as he would like to respiratory experts). She was a healthy fur baby till I fed her and Crystal Pedigree. Now my disabled son may lose her too. He and I are devastated. Yes I am very angry and listen to my son ask if she's going to be alright everyday.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

My 2 yr old Boston terrier has been a really healthy dog since we got him until 2 weeks ago he had a seizure and another one today. This second seizure was way worse than the first one he had. He didn't recognize anyone and started to growl and charge at everyone walked in front of him. After a few minutes he returned to be the lovely puppy he has always been and we took him to the vet immediately, ran blood tests and everything is normal. Then I remembered we started giving him Dentastix at the beginning of Sept which I bought at Costco. I found this website while researching Dentastix and seizures, and I'm surprised and angry that so many pets and owners had to suffer to find out about this. I'm thankful my baby is doing fine now. I will never purchase anything from Pedigree.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2013

I bought Denta Stix Fresh and gave my dog as suggested 1 per day for 3 days. On the 4th day, he had foul smelling gas and when he pooped, he had a large puddle of blood. He had blood in his poop again that night and again 2 more times on day 5. I rushed him to the Vet. They tested for Parvo and parasites and all came out negative. The 5th and 6th day, I did not give him a Denta Stix. The 6th day was when he had no more blood in his poop. I realized immediately that the only thing that I added to his diet was these daily Dental Stix. I started researching if anyone else has had problems with this product and found others on this site and on the web with sick dogs from this product.

One woman from this site pointed out that DENTA STIX FRESH contains EUCALYPTUS OIL, which is TOXIC to dogs if ingested! Her dog was having seizures and resulted in a costly vet bill. Her review was almost a year ago! I also found a review on Amazon written a month ago by a woman whose dog had the exact same experience and time frame as mine - gave her dog a Stix for 3 days, 1 Stix a day and on 4th the dog had a large puddle of blood. Pedigree needs to recall this product! I can't imagine how many dogs have been and will be sick or potentially die because of this one ingredient that is so harmful.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2013

I posted my story on the 21st. I also contacted the FDA. The FDA is going to do a necropsy on our dog as well as test the dog food. Please tell all of your friends and family that have pets to stop the use of Pedigree, it could be very harmful to their dog.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2013

I am concerned about the recent packages of Pedigree Healthy Weight dog food I recently purchased. Since my dog has gotten older and put on weight, the vet told me to switch to a lower calorie food. I started her on Purina Fit and Trim a few years ago and she had no problems at all. Recently, Wal-mart has either stopped carrying the Purina Fit and Trim or they never seem to have it, so I started buying Pedigree Healthy Weight.

My dog got really sick. She started panting a lot, acting lethargic, drinking a ton of water, howling in the middle of the night to be let out, sitting outside for hours at a time because she wasn't feeling good, and defecating on the floor inside the house. At first, I thought this behavior might be because she's getting older (she's 9) and then I thought she must've gotten into something that she shouldn't have. But the behavior continued for several weeks until finally I thought about the change in the food. She was on the Pedigree for about 6-8 weeks.

I finally looked it up online and found websites where people were reporting lots of concerns about Pedigree dog food. I didn't know if these concerns were valid or not, but I thought I should try switching dog foods. I went to a store other than Wal-mart and found Purina's new brand of a low calorie dog food and switched my dog back. Right away that first day, I started noticing improvements...and by two days later, she's completely back to normal. I have no idea what is in the Pedigree dog food that caused the problems, but it's really concerning.

I tried filling out a form on Pedigree's website to notify them of the concern, but every time I tried to enter the required UPC code and manufacturer's code date on the form, it would say, "Please re-enter the information.” I thought maybe I had written it down wrong, so I tried numerous variations of upper case, lower case, changing my O to 0 or I to 1, etc. but nothing worked. So then I tried calling their 1-800 number. I received a message saying that all their representatives are in a meeting. I left a message for someone to call me back.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

We have 8 dogs, various sizes and breeds... all fed Pedigree Healthy Digestion canned food for years. Two weeks ago, our longhair dachsund threw up a lot and then the diarrhea started. Same timeframe, our 13-year old basset hound became unable to control her diarrhea and became disoriented. Vet said low white blood cell count. Then another basset hound became ill with the same symptoms and the same diet. When we took them to the vet for examination, they of course don't feed Pedigree... so they switched brands for the time they were staying. That and a probiotic along with metronidazole and they are fine.

Since then, we have thrown away the Pedigree foods and have started using the same brand food as the vet. No issues. All is quiet again. Now here's the weird thing. My daughter in another state told me that tonight her boxer has thrown up and had been dealing with diarrhea earlier this week. She was feeding the same Pedigree Healthy Digestion food! I asked her to contact our vet to get on the right track. Did something change? I know pet food companies alter formulas all the time but all of this coupled with the sheer number of very recent complaints is enough to steer me clear of Pedigree products forever.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

Pete, our 19-month old yellow lab, was switched to Pedigree on August 30th. We bought our second bag on September 13th. He began to show signs of Lethargy on the 17th. We believed it to be his allergies. On the 18th, he had walked into our kitchen and lost his balance. He tried to get up and lost his balance again and urinated on the floor. We immediately took him to our vet where they ran a battery of test on him and everything came back normal. We brought him home and kept a very close eye on him. About 3 hours later, he had an episode where he lost his balance again and lost control of his bowels. He seemed disoriented and had a hard time walking. About 45 minutes later, he went into a full blown grand mal seizure. We took him to the emergency vet.

After 18 hours of observation, the vet thought he could have idiopathic epilepsy. Around 5pm on the 19th, the vet let us know that he had eaten and began to show signs of improvement but still had weakness in his hind legs. We drove up to decided if we thought we could care for him at home or if he needed to stay at the vet. As soon as we walked in the door, we could hear him crying out. The vet came out and told us that he just had another seizure. When we went back to see him, he appeared sedated. We stayed with him for a bit and headed home. At 11:35, we received a call from vet saying he had another seizure and now is unresponsive and taking shallow agonizing breaths.

We rushed to the vet and he passed away as we were walking in. After speaking with a friend from work or told me about this, I began to research it online. Lo and behold, I find this. I called the vet to talk to him about this. He was shocked that something like this is happening. He advised me to call the University of Illinois and see if they are willing to test the dog food. We also brought Pete home after he passed so we could bury him in the yard. I am hoping I can find someone somewhere that would be willing to test him and food to determine if the food is what did this. If anyone knows of something, please post it here.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2013

Our 11 yr old boxer was on Pedigree dog food for all of his life. Last year he started to have seizures. After several medical tests, all negative, dog continued seizures periodically. One day our boxer had seizure after seizure with no rest in between. Vet recommended putting him down because eventually his brain would give out. 2 weeks after our boxer's death our 7 yr old golden retriever also on Pedigree dog food started having seizures. All tests negative. We have since changed to an all natural dog food. It's been a year and no seizures.

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information