Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Pedigree Pet Foods Reviews

Original review: July 13, 2015

Pedigree dog food kills!!! My poor bulldog was just given a clean bill of health... till he ate your food. He started having seizures, blood in his feces, throwing up. That all stopped after we stop feeding him Pedigree but the damage was too late and he died!!! We are crushed and I want to sue. Anyone know of a class action lawsuit against Pedigree?

Original review: July 11, 2015

Since Pedigree changed their formula my dogs have experienced upsets stomachs and daily bouts of diarrhea. Their energy level is down and their coats are dry and feel awful. I am a multiple dog household and used Pedigree for forty years. My dogs lived long healthy lives on Pedigree even with formula changes in the past. I expected a few days of diarrhea with the change in formula but nothing like this. I TRUSTED this company. Now I will NEVER USE IT AGAIN. Shame on Pedigree for changing the formula and making not only my dogs sick but everyone I talk to that uses Pedigree dog's sick as well. By the reviews there are a lot more dogs across the country sick as well.

Original review: July 10, 2015

In the last two weeks we have been feeding, or now trying to feed, our dog the Pedigree Meatier Recipe Chicken Flavor dog food... now he doesn't want to eat anything and he's incredibly lethargic and his bowel movements are almost entirely black. We've never seen him like this before. We even took him to the vet because we were so worried about him, but at the time they said that he "seemed" fine but this has continued on now for another week and we'll be taking him back and changing the food! He will barely eat anything at this point and we're hoping that with a few days away from that terrible food that he'll be himself again, but I will be reaching out to the company.

Original review: July 9, 2015

I gave my miniature yorkie a dentastix on Monday before I went to work. By the time I got home, she had vomited several times and had loose stools with blood all over the bathroom floor. I took her to the vet the next day they drew blood work and put her on IV solutions, gave her an antibiotic and anti-diarrheal. By the following morning, she had to deteriorate it so badly that I had to take her back to the vet where she started having a succession of seizures. I have since brought her home and am waiting to see whether or not she will make it.

Original review: July 7, 2015

We have used Pedigree dog food for 14 years. We have a 14-year-old female pit bull and an 11-month-old male pit bull. We bought a bag of the dog food (the adult blend) which is what we have always fed them, on Thursday July 2. Friday morning, we woke up to a huge mess of diarrhea in the room they sleep in. Not knowing for sure which dog it was, or if it was both, we cleaned it up and moved on. They ate the food and seemed fine over the weekend (Though I did notice them eating grass which means belly ache.). Monday morning and this morning (Tuesday) we woke up to another huge mess of diarrhea and vomit and confirmed it was indeed both dogs. Took stool samples into our vet and the vet said there was no sign of bacteria present and agreed we could have a contaminated bag of dog food since that's when the symptoms started.

After reading the other reviews on this website, I believe it wasn't a bad bag/batch, but it's because of the new formula/recipe. I called Pedigree and after waiting for 23 minutes, finally was able to make my complaint. They are sending me a refund for the bag of food. I hope more people call and tell their story if they've had problems so that this can be recalled and they can do something about the new formula! Unfortunately, after 14 years of being loyal Pedigree customers, we will be switching per our vet's recommendation. I read on another website that one woman's 10-year-old terrier died over the weekend from renal failure and had the same symptoms our dogs had and the only difference was the new formula of food.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pedigree Pet Foods?

Original review: July 6, 2015

We have two collies and have fed them the Pedigree dry dog food for a few years. They changed their formula and have the new chicken flavor which we bought at our local BJ Club, 55 lb. bags. After feeding them this for a few weeks our female began throwing up bile. At first about every other day at night and then every day and became quite sick. We had her to the vet and they could not find the cause so we took her home and then had to rush her to emergency since she was throwing up the bile and was having stomach contractions frequently and had a hard time breathing. They did ultrasounds, x-rays and a complete workup and could not find anything wrong with her digestive tract or organs. She then started salivating profusely and developed pneumonia. She was in intensive care for a week.

At that time then our younger male collie started throwing up bile, so we stopped feeding the Pedigree food and switched to another brand. Our female that was in intensive care and is now home is still having problems with saliva but neither one has thrown up bile or food since we switched brands. This all started with their new chicken formula with the smaller chunks and orange and green chunks. I don't know if this has been recalled but it needs to be addressed and looked into. Our vet bills were over $5,000.00 so this needs to be addressed asap so no one else's dog get sick from the food. I have three more 55lb. bags that have to be destroyed.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I buy Pedigree in Gravy for my rescued Greyhounds. It is an excellent meal to change over from raw meat, likewise with Whippets. This is mixed with biscuit mixed to avoid too much protein. I was so upset to find that the last 2 cases I bought were marked Gravy, but were loaf! I cannot afford not to feed this as I am on a pension, but have noticed my old Lady is very loose with change of diet. I will continue to feed Pedigree with Gravy as it seems to be superb up to press. I cannot afford to buy more than 12 at a time and the offers on at some Supermarkets at 2 packs for 6 are great! I have kept one of the tins and bought from B and M Bargains at Barrow in Furness. Thank you.

Original review: July 5, 2015

I am in the middle of moving from one town to another in my area, and my dogs were staying at my mom's during the move. My mother bought a bag of Pedigree to feed them. I didn't realize that could be the problem until a friend posted these reviews on Facebook. My mom reported that my dog MJ looked swollen in her abdomen and had quit eating. Then she kept trying to poop, and was unable for a very long time. Then, suddenly, she would have a raging case of diarrhea. Afterward, she would be lethargic, would not jump onto her doghouse and tried throwing up. She was miserable.

I took her to the vet, and the vet said it appeared to be something she ate. She sent me home with some different dog food. MJ was able to eat that, and did not have any diarrhea afterward. That veterinary visit cost me $98 (that I don't have, I had to borrow the money). After reading all these reviews, I'm sitting here extremely upset that this happened. She is more than a pet to me, she is family. I will be making sure that we never use Pedigree again.

Original review: July 5, 2015

Purchased large bag of the "new" Pedigree. Meatier. My dog refuses to eat it. Tried mixing it w/ Rachel Ray zero grain, tried some canned food, even some chicken stock. He pulled out what appeared to be the colored pieces and spit them on the floor. Needless to say he will not eat this product and I am stuck w/ a large bag of dog food. I think Purina should check their product and see what the problem is. My dog is far from a picky eater. Seriously would like a refund but don't have the receipt. If product code is needed, I still have the bag. Product was purchased from Dollar Store.

Original review: July 3, 2015

Every time my dog eats Pedigree she throws it up in less than a couple minutes after she eats. Not sure why but this is frustrating. My other two dogs eat it with no problems.

Original review: July 3, 2015

My Lab is 5 years old. All the while she was given Pedigree Chicken and veg (03). In May-2015 when we purchased her Pedigree we got the new packing. There was only one type of pellets inside. Usually there used to be another small pellet also. Within one week she started eating lot of grass. Then started to pass dark stool. Very smelly. The vet attended her. Tested blood, took for scanning. Could not find anything. The body odor also became bad. Soon she started vomiting. Whatever she eat she will vomit after some time. She eat like there is fire inside her. Within another one week she was so bad and we had to put her to sleep. Today only I saw this web site. Now I am convinced that Pedigree killed my Lab. Earlier I used to defend in favor of Pedigree. What a pity. Companies do like this to grab money. Sad Sad Sad!!!

Original review: July 2, 2015

I have been feeding my 5 year old dog Pedigree her entire life, and have NEVER had any issues.. Just recently I noticed (within past week) that the packaging changed for dry food small dog breed, chicken flavor. I am glad I looked up to see if there was any recalls because my dog had been getting sick and eating grass like crazy since they switched whatever it was in the food. I am going to call the vet and Pedigree and see exactly what's going on. Thank you everyone for your comments! They have been very helpful and I am going to see what dog food brand I should switch to next! I have yet to see this recall on the news and I am shocked due to the fact this is a commonly used brand.

Original review: June 30, 2015

Bought 55 lb bag of Pedigree dog food chicken flavor and my dog at first did not want to eat it but started to since June. Today she vomited a lot in the morning then when I got home I gave her a small milk bone and waited an hour then gave her a hand full of food, waited another hour and gave her some more. She vomited all of it back up. We gave her some licorice root and cat food. She is finally settled. We trusted Pedigree for years and all of a sudden this happens and I read that other dogs have died! This is unacceptable. No one was warned about this. There was no recall. So, what are you going to do about this?!

Original review: June 30, 2015

We gave one of those to our dog. She became extremely ill with vomiting and almost died. We incurred $1,000 in vet bills to save her. Note that she had had a well dog visit days before getting the Dentastix and all was fine. We totally blame the product for almost killing her. Pedigree denies any responsibility. Is anyone interested in pursuing a class action suit?

Original review: June 28, 2015

I bought the 50 lb bag of chicken flavor dry dog food. My dog has been crapping a lot and she can't seem to hold it in. After about 2 days she started throwing it up. Never again will I buy this crap. I'm going to switch back to blue buffalo. Someone really needs to regulate the ingredients on these products.

Original review: June 26, 2015

Worms hatched within 2 hours of opening can.

Original review: June 26, 2015

Recently (less than 3 mo.) switched from dog chow to Pedigree. Originally started with approx. 15 bag chicken flavored and my two beagle/lab mixed girls seem to like it. Well, in middle of June 2015 I decided to buy 55 lbs bag since there are 2 dogs. Immediately we noticed the dogs were drinking excessive amounts of water, eating grass and had loose stools. Since weather has been quite humid, I passed that off. Also thought it was maybe cheap dog treats I bought so I had my daughter only give 1/2 a treat every 3 days to see if that helped. Also the dogs are still vomiting occasionally.

The dogs have also been having issues holding their urine. Which I figure was a result of being around New animals and people so I stopped taking them to dog park. Finally starting last week my entire family began to comment on how the dogs don't even finish their food, they continue to eat more grass and visually they look like they lost weight. I finally began to think about the dog food and began watching everything they did. Today it is now June 26th and definitely feel a trip to vet later today. Overnight as my dog lay next to me, my leg got wet. She had leaked urine...even after being out less than an hour before.

Original review: June 24, 2015

Both of my dogs have started throwing up on the 2nd day of eating Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition Dry Food for Dogs. I bought the "Bonus Bag 20.4 lb." from Target in Austin TX on June 21, 2015. I am so upset after reading this thread and seeing all of the posts (just in June 2015) I'll be watching my pups closely... Hopefully they'll be fine.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Healthy Weight Chicken Flavor dog food - My 10 year old Golden Retriever has been on this food for a while. I just purchased this on Sunday and gave to him for dinner. He was so sick Sunday night and when I woke up Monday, he had thrown up. He wont eat anything! It is now Tuesday. I have NEVER seen him act like this. Doesnt respond to "Bye'Bye" or "Walk". Turns down everything. Has a really hot body temp and broke out into a rash Monday night. I was hesitant to give him benadryl because he is already so lethargic. His right eye is creating white discharge like I have never seen. He has only been able to poop once in 2 days and it was so small and loose. Going to vet today. Will update. All signs lead to this food though so BEWARE!!

Original review: June 22, 2015

We have been feeding the large breed formula to our nine year old Great Dane since he was a year old. We purchased our usual big bag of food at Target, like we always do, making sure it had the photo of exactly how our Griffin looks (harlequin Great Dane) and we went on home. After finishing the almost empty bag, we then opened the new bag and like we have been doing for almost 8 years, put two cups into his bowl in the morning, and then two more come evening. (He's a very big boy with a big appetite!)

Fast forward to yesterday, close to four days since we began feeding him what we thought was the same food we have been feeding him but WASN'T, and he began to eat grass. Ok, he does that from time to time, no red flags going up. Then, late afternoon I noticed he was constantly squatting as if he needed to go, but nothing was coming out. Then an hour later, he had diarrhea. And then every twenty to thirty minutes he'd repeat the same thing. Squatting, nothing coming out, then almost immediately after, he'd have diarrhea.

I chalked it up to him eating something that upset his belly while he was outside. He awoke us at about 3am, pacing around our bed incessantly with what sounded like gas sounds. Then the smell hit us, we flipped on the light only to find spots where he had an accident.. Close to 20 droplets and puddles all over our room, in the family room, hallway, dining room.

Today he hasn't had any interest in water, plain snacks, rice, and is extremely lethargic and uninterested in any interaction. I am taking him to the Veterinarian in the morning because he's definitely dehydrated. After doing some investigation, the only thing to change was YOUR food. I will NEVER feed my dog or any other animal I have ANY of your products ever again.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I am the proud owner of a lovely 15 year old Doberman mix. I have been giving her the Pedigree joint house for the past 4 years and I've noticed she has a huge tumor on her left joint hip on her back legs. It's very painful for her and I've been noticing more tumors pop up over the months. I'm afraid I may have to put my poor baby to sleep.

Original review: June 22, 2015

Pedigree meatier adult chicken flavored dry dog food - We have one dog that, when she eats this dog food gets sick and throws up and has loose stools. We take care of my daughter's two dogs and both have loose stools. This started we bought the 50 lb bag. Pedigree needs to recall this product now!

Original review: June 21, 2015

Pedigree chicken dry dog food - I purchased this dog food in June 2015, and gave to my lab, and after the third day of eating it she was so sick. Throwing up and loose stools. She became so lethargic and would not eat for four days. We thought she was going to die. Never have had any food do this to her before. I will never purchase this again. My Golden Retriever also became sick. Throwing up too, but not as bad as my lab. Maybe this food was just too rich for her. But I would not recommend this dog food for consumption.

Original review: June 18, 2015

I started buying Pedigree small bites about two years ago when we adopted a puppy and my older small dogs teeth were getting bad. They have both been fine on it. I also have been feeding Pedigree to my other dog for 17 years until she passed away from old age. I opened this new bag I bought on Sunday. I feed it to my 2-year-old 65-pound lab. She began vomiting white foam and laid around all day. This dog is a mix with Dalmatian. She has gone bonkers since day one of bringing her home. So I know she didn't feel good.

I also feed it to my little 8 pound chi weenie. She's 16. I was up all night with her vomiting and diarrhea gasping for air. She was so sick from throwing up. I stayed with her putting during full of water and making her drink. All the food came out. She is doing better today! I know it was the food!!! I'm home with my dogs all day and night. They were not outside to get into anything coz it was raining all day. I watch them carefully when they go out to potty. Please Pedigree change back to the regular food. I don't know if it's just a bad batch!! Will be throwing out this 55 pound bag!!!

Original review: June 16, 2015

My 6 year old dachshund has been eating Pedigree Small Breed Chicken Flavor his entire life with no issues. His previous bag ran out on Sunday night, so I went to the store to pick up a new one. I noticed the bag's design had changed and read, "Small DOG, Meatier Recipe." I assumed the ingredients could not have changed drastically and purchased it. I fed him 1/2 cup yesterday morning and 1/2 cup yesterday evening. Around 11pm, he began pacing the house, licking the carpets, and panting.

He appeared distressed/anxious with his tail between his legs and his ears pinned back. When I took him outside, all he wanted to do was eat grass - a telltale sign of an upset stomach. Although he never vomited, he was restless all night and could not settle down until about 5:00 this morning. I have never seen him act like that. After this experience and reading all of the other reviews on here, I will NEVER feed him Pedigree food again. I am just thankful I found this website in time to discontinue feeding him this deplorable food before he got even sicker from it. Pedigree brand is a disgrace.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Please if you can help it! Don't buy the Pedigree for your dogs! If you already feed them this please stop please! My dog was found dead this morning with vomit all over him. So sad! Y'all please beware!

Original review: June 15, 2015

I have been feeding my one year old pit/lab and my one year old boxer/basset Pedigree adult dry food chicken flavor. I bought a new bag labeled "new meatier recipe." Within a day I was coming home to vomit and diarrhea all over their kennel. This happened a total of 8 times in 5 weeks. I couldn't figure out what it was as I limited them to just their food, no treats. Then I found this thread. I gave them new food and within a day they were back to normal stools. I'm glad I figured this out before my dogs got deathly ill. Stay away from all Pedigree products if you love your pets.

Original review: June 14, 2015

Before we give my dog eat other brand. After this we running of dog food. Change the dog food to Pedigree dry food. After first eat my dog diarrhea. So now so bad. Is it normal? Can I refund this and how to make it? 'Cause seller not allow us to refund. My dog is Siberian husky.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I have used Pedigree dry dog food for many years. My dogs really enjoyed their food until recently May or June, possibly when Pedigree change the ingredients with the new chicken flavor. My dogs got sick and will not eat it anymore. Why did you change something that was obviously nothing wrong with? But your new chicken flavor my dogs will not eat it and I have had to find something else for them. Thank you.

Original review: June 13, 2015

I bought at Costco a 55 lb Pedigree dog food chicken flavor. One of my chihuahuas died. I am trying to save the other two. All were vomiting all the time and had blood in the feces. I see there are a lot of customers complaining and they continue selling that garbage. Do not buy Pedigree dog food!!!

Pedigree Pet Foods Company Information