Find a Dog Food partner

3. Dog Food

3.8/5 (263 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Ol Roy Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Ol Roy Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Original review: July 12, 2015

We don't buy Ol' Roy products. However, while staying at a hotel, the front desk lady wanted to give our 6 year old English Bulldog, Bernice, a treat. Not thinking anything of it, my husband, who was taking her out yesterday afternoon, allowed the kind gesture and Bernice ate 1 bacon treat. An hour later, in our room, as if a switch had been turned, she suddenly got sick. She was playing obsessively with her toy and my husband, when she stopped, totally out of character for her, and began drooling & licking her chops incessantly.

I noticed, too, her stomach felt bloated and she was burping so I thought maybe she had to go. Again, she went out and had two bm's in 15 min, the second being very soft. Hoped that would help but, she began drinking a lot of water, drooling even more and gagging. She acted very clingy, which, from a past foot injury, we knew the behavior to mean she was in pain, she couldn't relax, pacing and licking her chops nonstop. She refused her evening meal, which is unheard of for her.

After several hours, she slept. That was short lived, as she awoke with her bed soaked from drool, vomiting up her morning meal. She soaked 3 full size hotel bath towels with drool last night. This morning, worried, trying to figure out what was causing this, I stated I had given her monthly heart worm treatment the day before she got sick, but she has never had an adverse reaction other than maybe a loose stool. Then my husband thought of the treat she had been given. Knowing there was an issue with raw hides at Wal-Mart a few years back, I became concerned as soon as he mentioned they were Ol' Roy, and I did the internet search which led me here.

She seems to be improving as the licking & drooling has decreased to very little and hasn't vomited today. She's lethargic, but did eat this morning. Hoping this is short lived and leaves no permanent damage. She's been taking the same heartworm treatment monthly with no previous major reaction, so I have to conclude the timing of eating the treat and when she fell sick are not coincidental. Especially after reading all the other complaints on Ol' Roy products.

For us, Walmart's reputation for pet products was already tarnished, as we had an otherwise healthy Shar Pei suddenly develop & die of kidney failure, who loved raw hides purchased there. Found out a few years later, I had probably inadvertently caused her death by giving her these raw hides. Not a great feeling. You can't excuse an ongoing history of supplying substandard, dangerous pet products. It's shameful. A reputable company should be diligently proactive in providing safe products and knowing their suppliers and when there's evidence that a product could cause illness or death they should be swift to pull it from shelves till it's proven safe. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I refuse to purchase pet products from Walmart.

Original review: July 12, 2015

Got a scoop of food from bag, dumped it in the outdoor cat bowl and noticed a piece of something lying in the food bowl. Mind you the bowl was empty. I picked it up and it was a piece of yellow/green broken plastic.

Original review: July 10, 2015

We have gotten Ol Roy for our dog for the past year and never had any issues, til this morning. My husband got her food as usual but noticed mold! We checked the bag and the entire bottom of the inside of the bag was covered in mold! Never buying Ol Roy for my dog again!

Original review: July 7, 2015

I bought some chicken treats for my dog and she has had a variety of treats and the only one that had a bad effect on her was the Ol' Roy chicken treats. My dog had to have surgery because there's something in this treat she couldn't digest so I paid about $2,600 for a bag of your treats and almost lost my dog. This product needs to be recalled and made better or leave it off the shelf.

Original review: July 6, 2015

I purchased your dry dog food product for small breeds and your dry puppy food... my small dog will not eat it at all, it sits in their bowl all day... the puppy food gave my pups loose stool.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I'd bought Ol Roy dog food because I was broke and couldn't afford my usual brand. I bought the bacon flavor Ol Roy from my local Walmart. I fed my dog a portion of this kibble for dinner and he seemed disinterested after eating only half of what I'd poured. By morning he'd began vomiting and had diarrhea. I was able to keep him hydrated and brought him to the vet after a couple days of this and seeing no improvement. I was told he was in liver failure. Less than one week later he was dead despite my attempts with veterinary care to save him. Do not buy this! They still have it on the shelves and I'm seeing many others with my exact story! It's so upsetting to know that a company would continue to produce something so terrible just to make a buck AND leave it on shelves.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I bought this dog food because the original dog food I buy, the company was out. Well within 5 months of feeding my dogs this food, two of them died and the other one he is not looking ok as I type this. They all were in excellent health, no problems with anything and once they were fed this food, that happened to them.

Original review: June 24, 2015

I have been feeding my Great Dane Ol Roy Complete Nutrition for the past two years. Several days ago, I purchased a 50# bag from Wal-Mart and shortly after eating, she became very sick; lethargic, had difficulty standing and refused food and water. I took her to the Vet and they could not figure it out, but were quick to offer expensive testing. Not once did anyone ask about her food source. Unfortunately, I put two-and-two together, when my daughter advised that her Jack Russell Terrier passed away unexpectedly - she also buys Ol Roy.

I am praying that my dog is on the mend, as she appears to have survived the worst of it and is eating (everything but Ol Roy - she will not even sniff it) and drinking again; and she is starting to rise without yelping in pain, as one of the symptoms included an inability to hold up her head. I had to force feed her water and now she is drinking again from her water bowl. I am now watching and waiting for any lasting side-effects. Upon consulting with my daughter, as well as reading other reviews, I realize that symptoms and circumstances are similar. It's a shame my daughter had to lose her dog who was too small and weak to ride out the poisoning. Never again! It makes you wonder if they will sell bad dog food to the consumer, then what is their standard for people food???

Original review: June 22, 2015

I bought Ol Roy puppy chow complete for my puppy and after she started eating it for a few days she got weak and was vomiting and having bloody diarrhea. Within a few days, she was dead. My poor sweet puppy! Ol Roy should be shut down, I've read so many stories after she died of other people having the same problem. I want justice for my pup!!!

Original review: June 15, 2015

We tried Ol Roy High Performance for our three dogs and they all started getting sick. I am talking vomiting, diarrhea and all. I found moldy chunks in the dog food bag after them being sick for three days straight. I immediately threw the nasty food away and bought a better food. The next day none of my dogs were ill. NEVER buy this crap!!!

Original review: June 7, 2015

I had two Boxers for approx 10 years (they were rescues). They were in good health and literally dropped dead. Oz was in bed in March. I said goodnight to him and went to my bed. He screamed about 5 minutes later - I ran and he was dead before I got to him (less than 50 feet). Three months later my other Boxer literally stood up in bed and fell off dead. They had nothing in common as far as genealogy. The only thing was their dog food... Ol Roy complete nutrition. Now I am worried about my other two dogs eating that food. I have about 80lbs left over.

Original review: May 30, 2015

My dog has been sick all night. Diarrhea, throwing up and dry heaving - this is not okay! When I looked at the food this is what I found. I then did research while up with her all night and found that this is an ongoing problem with this company. They should not be able to sell this at the store and should be recalled. Not acceptable at all! I am beyond angry that my dog is this sick from this food. Recall this before more dogs get sick!

Original review: May 28, 2015

I have recently bought a bag of Ol Roy dog food for my Rocco Boy as I always do... However this time he is sick. He is having bouts of diarrhea and is even pooping in the house and he never does that. I am so upset that my dog is sick and I have taken up all of his food. I want my money back and I will never buy this food for him again, especially after reading all of the horrible reviews.

Original review: May 26, 2015

My dog has had diarrhea since eating 50lb red bag purchased at Wal-Mart. I thought she got into something til I noticed no sooner does she eat, out it comes.

Original review: May 21, 2015

We got a 2 month old puppy 2 months ago. We decided to feed him Ol Roy puppy food because on the bag on it says same ingredients as Purina puppy chow. Well he has diarrhea on and off since we got him until last week when I got a new bag at Walmart. He started vomiting and liquid diarrhea and refused to eat his food. I took him to the vet today and told me that he has a bacterial intestinal infection from his dog food. They told me stop feeding him that food right away. Had to get a shot to stop the diarrhea and he is on antibiotics for a week. The poor guy is only 4 months old and this puppy food is awful! Please never feed this to your beloved pets! Not worth saving a few dollars if it kills your dog!

Original review: May 21, 2015

Ol roy Dog food made 2 of my dogs very sick and luckily we figured it out and stop feeding it to them. I have a 95 lb pup that is American bulldog/white Shepherd that has never missed a meal and the 8 months-- he now weighs 75lbs-- I have had him he has never been sick until we started feeding him ol roy complete nutrition-- we bought a 50 lb bag. I also have a 4 month old 20 lb blue healer who now weighs 11 lbs thanks to the same dog food because both have been throwing up. They have only been on this food for 2 weeks. I would never recommend anyone buy ol roy for any pet because it makes your pets ill and if you feed and continue to feed them this brand it could cost the animals life or a really expensive vet bill.

Original review: May 18, 2015

This dog food killed my dog last week. I bought a 50lb of ol Roy dog food last week cause I usually buy Old Yeller Dog Food but they didn't sell it at Wal-Mart So I bought a bag of Ol' Roy instead. The first day he ate about half of what I gave him and my female dog wouldn't touch it at all. Anyway 3 days Sam quit eating completely. He almost lost 100lb. He started passing blood out of his pee hole, out of his butt and mouth. So in about 9 days after buying it I had to have him out down. The vet did test and it was from the food.

I still had the bag of food and the vet tested the food and did tons of test and they said the food was definitely the cause. I've contacted a lawyer on this matter. You ** killed my best friend. He was all I had. He was fine till I bought the food. How could you sell food and cause something like this. Dogs is part of people family. This is ** up. But I've already started talking to lawyers about this matter. I'm suing you for everything. You took my best friend and a part of my heart.

Original review: May 17, 2015

I bought a 10 lb box of Ol Roy biscuits for my 6 month old catahoula. Up until now I have been buying milk bones which never make him sick. He did not show signs of being sick until the next day had major runs so I waited a few days. Gave him half within 15 mins, he had the runs again. I'm taking these back today, do not buy!

Original review: April 9, 2015

I was wondering if anyone has experience your dog getting sick every time he or she eats this food. I fed her for the first time last week and she got sick. I fed her today and I was thinking she was playing after she ate too fast and got an upset stomach. Today after she ate, went to. Shih Tzu and she is 2 months old .

Original review: April 8, 2015

We've been buying Ol Roy for our dogs for years. Back on about March 13, 2015, I bought a 15 lb bag. Our dog would not eat it. Set it in front of her, she'd take her paw and dump dish. Would not eat it. Bought another bag and has eaten it. There was something wrong with that bag of food. We thought something was wrong with our dog. Bought the new bag and she has been eating. Buy our food at Wal-Mart. Either store 1080 in Johnson City, TN or store 620 in Bristol, TN. Never kept receipts. Never had problems. Until now.

Original review: March 30, 2015

Ever since I added Ol Roy foods to my toy poodle's dry food (science diet), he's been very sick. I finally got on here to read some reviews on the brand and now it all makes sense! He's been sick since we added Ol Roy. I will take the unopened box back to Walmart and will never buy that brand again! I will stick to science diet instead!! So disgusted that Ol Roy would do this to our pets who are truly our family!

Original review: March 28, 2015

I buy the large cans of Ol' Roy for my dogs, but I refused to buy the beef flavor because it was more water than food. I only bought the top sirloin loaf in the can, and now it's nothing but mush. I'm changing from Ol' Roy to another brand. I'm tired of being cheated by greedy rich business people or all greedy rich people.

Original review: March 23, 2015

Had 3 labs. Ages 5, 7, & 8. Had been feeding them Ol' Roy Meaty Chunks & Gravy brand for 2.5 yrs. The 7 year old male ate a can one evening combined with a smaller than regular dry food portion. Within a few hours he began wrenching and dry heaving. Took him to the vet immediately. He had bloated. Ultimately his stomach got torted during this experience and we had to put him down. The 5 year old shortly after had the same bloating but no torsion. Ultimately he survived. They are treated well. Exercised at the appropriate times and given proper portions of water at all times.

Although nobody could tell us for sure if the incidents were directly connected to the "Ol' Roy" brand food. I am fairly confident this lead to the death of 1 & almost 2 of my dogs. The vet question any abnormal meals immediately. The lack of nutrition in the food, high carb content, amongst lack of real meat protein are all red flags when it comes to providing a balanced diet for any dog. Ultimately it's my fault for not doing my research sooner. Shame on me for trusting Wal-Mart. If anyone hears of a class action suit against "Ol' Roy" please post. Can't believe they're allowed to sell this line of food.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I myself do not use Ol Roy. My mother however rescues animals of all kinds and cannot afford expensive food. I ship her a few 50lb bags of Ol Roy here and there. She has a shepherd mix that lived to be 21, several small Jack Russells that lived well into their late teens- early twenties, and countless other dogs none of which died earlier that 13 years of age. All of her dogs have had Ol Roy their entire lives (at least as long as they were with her). Let's face it, animals die for many different reasons. My dog passed away from a recalled dog food that cost me almost $60 for a 20lb bag. I won't say the name, but its initials are BB.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2015

I fed this to my beagle for 1 yr and she died from complete kidney failure.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

My German Shepherd has been eating Ol' Roy dog food for the last 6 years; now one week ago we picked up another 50lb bag like we do every week, and now she is very sick, she has been throwing up, diarrhea, vomiting blood, very lethargic, and excessive thirst. This has only started since this bag of food. I am now worried about my Husky/Malamute who is just one year old. He currently isn't showing signs of sickness just excessive thirst. I decided to put them on a liquid diet for the night and I will be getting a different kind of dog food in the morning.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I purchased a 50-LB bag of your dog food of Ol Roy Bacon flavor and it made my puppy to lose fur and the Ol Roy Complete Nutrition Dog food we been using for 5 years without no problems. We tried the Bacon Flavor - it harm my animals.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

I have seen a significant change in my dogs from sickness to going blind. It disgusts me on why it is legal to sell such a terrible product. My animals are my family and this makes me extremely upset that this food caused health problems. I have done research on this product and the ingredients are inhumane.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2015

There was some kind of parasite in the food and when I started to dump it out the bottom of bag, was full of mold. I am extremely pissed off; have never had this problems before. I will be telling everyone not to buy, and now after reading the reviews, I can't even find a number to contact the company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

The quality of the bones is getting worse. They keep falling apart and are almost always broke. I have big dogs and they like their bones whole instead of little pieces.

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information