Find a Dog Food partner

3. Dog Food

3.8/5 (263 ratings)
Find a Dog Food partner

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Ol Roy Pet Foods

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Ol Roy Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ol Roy Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

We had a dog and we have been feeding him that for the past few years. He loved it, but died suddenly at the age of 14. We have a new puppy and feed her this. Will it kill her? She did have unexplained diarrhea and unexplained bloating for the past few days :S

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

I have 10 dogs that will not eat nothing but Ol Roy Soft Moist Beef, they have been eating that now for 10 yrs or so and they are as healthy as can be! Thank God I have had no problems so far!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2015

The past month I have spent $1,500 in vet and animal hospital bills. I have a 14 year old, female, mixed breed, who will be 15 in a couple of months. Years ago she had a bad reaction to Pedigree and had seizures. I ended up using Old Roy dry kibbles & bits, used it for years and she did fine. A few months ago I switched to Old Roy can food, thinking that the can food may be easier for her to eat. Evidently there is something in this that does not agree with her. She started having runny eyes, skin sores, drinking excessive and incontinence. I passed the incontinence off as old age and being spayed. For seven days now I have taken away all store bought dog food and treats and began cooking boiled chicken, brown rice, and carrots. All of her symptoms have stopped.

The animal hospital vet put her on Proin 50 mg for incontinence, two weeks later her ALT levels in her blood work shot up to almost 600, normal range I was told was 118. Against the vets advice I took her off the Proin and as of yesterday her ALT is down to 292, still high but going down. The hospital vet also wanted to start her on Desmopressin for insipidus diabetes, said she was not concentrating her urine.

Both the Proin and Desmopressin were to be lifelong, daily medications. I chose not to do the desmopressin and to take her off of the proin and to cook for her. The excessive thirst is gone, she is drinking and urinating normally. Monday she is having her urine tested again to make sure she is now concentrating it since the excessive drinking has stopped. If it is not concentrating then I will fill the prescription for the Desmopressin and test her urine again after being on that a few days, I do understand not all problems may be food related.

As of right now, eyes no longer run, skin is healing, drinks normally and appears to be urinating normally. So far I haven't found any wet spots where she is leaking. I guess all I wanted to do was to encourage pet owners to consider what you are feeding your pet when you start seeing health problems. I also learned the hard way that it may not be one brand of food, but the ingredients being used in the food. A pet could be having a bad reaction to a certain ingredient or a combination of ingredients. I only have one dog, so cooking for her isn't going to be that expensive, will for sure be cheaper than a ton of medical test and daily medications. I can find chicken leg quarters for .69 cents a pound and the rice and carrots are not expensive. Now I need to educate myself on the best foods to add, to make sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs to live out the last part of her life healthy.

Had I of considered the food first that $1,500 could have bought a lot of ingredients to make a good quality food at home. I understand that everyone does not have the time to cook for pets, so do your research and pay attention to what our animals are telling you by their symptoms. I do know that all medical problems are not food related, but at least consider it when you take your pet to the vet, tell them what you feed them so that the vet can consider everything that is going on with your pet.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2015

We bought this food last 5 yrs...my momma dog now has HIGH cholesterol AND thyroid problems. And this last bag we bought is so bad that my boz won't eat it!!! Color is off.. Smells OLD!! Something is wrong with it!!! Changing brands!! Pls look into this.... something isn't right!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

We've had our Chihuahua for 10 years. He was healthy and playful... very well trained dog. We would feed him Pedigree and found Ol' Roy had the same food for less so we started buying it. It didn't seem to affect him in any way up until he got bloody diarrhea and when he took him in he apparently had cancer in all his organs. He didn't make it through the night. I have 2 other dogs that eat the same food and have been throwing it up. I never in my life thought the food would kill my poor baby! How is this stuff being allowed to sell?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

My husband purchased 5 cans of Ol Roy canned turkey and bacon dog food on 1/26/15. I ALWAYS buy ALPO but husband went to store and bought Ol Roy brand. My dog ate 1/2 a can yesterday with his dry food. Today he ate his breakfast and threw up 3x within a few hours. After I gave him his dinner he threw up again 2 more times. I WILL NOT FEED THIS TO MY DOG AGAIN. THIS IS CRAP AND TOXIC TO MY DOG. If my dog continues to vomit I will be going to a vet and an attorney. How can they sell this? I'm taking the rest of the cans back to Walmart and I will tell them why. I do have the e-receipt on my phone but don't know how to upload here.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I'm freaking out!! I just fed my 9 weeks old puppy 1/2 can of Ol Roy chicken puppy food because Wal-Mart didn't have any other brand for puppies. He refused to eat at first but I insisted so he ate some and 10 minutes later was throwing up all over the house!!! So I started to read all of this reviews and can't help but feel terrible for not researching it first! I'm just praying for my little dog not to get sick!! It's awful that this product is still on the market after so many complaints and bad reviews. If I would have known I would not have bought it.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2015

Everyone asks me when they see my dogs "wow they are ripped what do you feed them" or "wow your dogs are in extremely great shape what do you feed?" I use Ol Roy Performance. Nothing beats it for the price and my dogs look like they eat that dog food that cost triple of ol roy performance. If I could post a pic I would to prove. My dogs are here with me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2015

We have been feeding our 14-year-old Blue Healer Ole Roy food for several years. However, about 3 months ago we noticed that she was having some difficulty with her back end like she was having discomfort. The vet said she had a kidney infection and put her on some meds. She seemed to be getting better. But after a few weeks she started losing her appetite to the point of almost not eating. I gave her some treats and other goodies that were not Ole Roy and she gobbled them right up. Couldn't make sense of it. Then she started losing weight and began drinking excessively daily. We finally her diet to changed to Iams and she has not turned down one meal. Now hoping we haven't done too much damage and that she bounces back. She is a pretty tough girl but I am very concerned for her health still. Decided to check out Ole Roy reviews online and now it all makes sense! Stay clear of this Ole Roy crap they call dog "food"!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

When we got to the bottom of the bag of our Ol'Roy bacon flavor dog food, the food was moldy. We have never had this problem before. The hardest thing is I have one dog, won't eat anything else.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

My father bought this dog food early last year, because it was cheap and we were low on funds. Thought it was a great buy, till my dog got sick. My poor girl now has Autoimmune Disease because of this rotten product!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2015

All of my 3 dogs died from the Ol’ Roy dog food I bought. Thanks to them I have no pet. :(

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I had a litter of puppies to raise. 6 puppies. I went to Walmart to get a bag of puppy chow. They were out of Purina, which is what I normally get my puppies. The only thing they had left was Ol' Roy. I bought it thinking it wouldn't hurt. Needless to say, less than two weeks later, two of my puppies are dead, and two are so skinny and lethargic I doubt they will survive.

I have dewormed them, they have had shots. They have been parvo tested. Nothing. The only two who aren't sick are the two males who were adopted. Their new owners changed their dog food and they are happy and healthy as can be, while those on Ol' Roy puppy chow are dying. They began vomiting, they had nasty smelly diarrhea, they stopped eating. Two dead puppies. TWO DEAD PUPPIES, thanks to your crap food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2014

I fed my Red Setter Ol Roy for 15.5 years. She loved it and was healthy until age 15 when she developed cancer. I think it is the best dog food on the market today!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

Munchers mini pet treat - I got a new puppy for Christmas. She became lethargic and had diarrhea. I thought it could be the switch from regular food to puppy food or the treats. I changed her food back but also stopped with the treats. The diarrhea subsided and she felt better. I left the food the same but gave her a treat this morning, since having the treat she is once again lethargic, loose stools, refusing food and water. So now I know it's the treats. Tomorrow we will visit the vet. Please do not feed these treats, I am certain they made her ill.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2014

I bought a can of Ol’ Roy dog food, the one with cheese in it and it was moldy and black. This is what we are feeding our pets. I'm disgusted, I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2014

Bought olRoy lean bark n bacon for my 4 dogs yesterday. About 4 hours later they all had diarrhea and vomiting. They are lethargic and just plain don't feel good! It is the next day and they are the same, won't eat and needing to go out every 20 minutes to go potty. I feel SO bad for them and wished now I never bought olRoy treats. I see a bunch of complaints and something needs to be done about our pets getting sick because of us giving them a treat. It's terrible!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

Today, I woke up to my dog dead from feeding it Ol Roy dog food. Didn't notice until I poured my other dogs the last of the food and in the bag is maggots in dried up chunks! Then I look to find there's a recall on their food yet Walmart still sells it!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

Ol Roy Puppy Bones - I went to give my dog a few this morning and found mold in the box. I could never realize how a company could sell something that has a potential to kill an animal. These treats were stored in the original box in a cabinet away from water/moisture.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

My Basset Hound is extremely lethargic today, has been vomiting, and had diarrhea with the vomiting last night. This has been now for 3 days. My husband a week and half ago bought the Ol'Roy biscuits from Walmart. Today I started researching causes for dog vomiting, and googled "vomiting and Ol'Roy biscuits" to find Consumer Affairs complaints up the WAZOO on this company! Many telling the same tale, only their ending with the death of their dogs!!! What in the name of GOD??? IS Walmart doing, Consumer Affairs what are you doing, and Ol'ROY you need to be SUED class ACTION Style/co defendant Walmart!! GET THESE OFF THE SHELVES NOW!!! If my Basset Hound dies you will PAY!!!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

We purchased the Ol'Roy dog treats in Aug. 2014 from Walmart. We started feeding our 2 Boxers these treats, well one of the boxers liked to snag the other's treats all the time. We started to notice that she was loosing weight. We thought she is a rescue dog and a little older than the Boxer we already had, maybe she is just getting old. We ended up bringing her in to the Vet beginning Sept. 4, 2014, she was in liver and kidney failure, we put her down. The other Boxer was brought in for his yearly check up Sept. 6, 2014 all good health dog!! We continued to feed him the treats.

On Oct. 14, 2014 we returned to the Vet explaining that he was exhibiting the same weight loss as the first Boxer. They did tests and said they think he is depressed from loosing his mate, give him extra love, etc. Continued to feed him the treats, loosing more weight, refusing to eat the treats AT ALL this last week. We returned to this vet this weekend. He had lost 8 more pounds between the Oct. 14 and Nov. 1 2014 blood work revealed liver and kidney failure as the first one. We put him down as well... Many questions asked about new things he ate. We sadly explained about the last Boxer... 2 dogs in 2 months SHAME ON THEM!! RECALL THE TREATS AND FIX YOUR PROBLEM!!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

I have always fed my dogs the Ol Roy small breed (purple bag) and my cousin the Ol Roy complete nutrition (the red bag) and they are just fine and very healthy.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2014

Well I have 2 American bulldogs, one female and one male. I also have money problems due to a car wreck so I went to walmart instead of going to a feed and grain where u can get good food for your dog. Any way I did the transition like u usually would by giving them a small amount of the new food everyday for a week so it is easier on them. Any way 3 days into giving them a very small amount of mixed food they both started having a bad case of diarrhea. Then shortly after they both started to throw up every day and started eating grass everyday and sometimes almost everytime when they went outside they would eat grass and throw up and now my dogs don't hardly play anymore like they use to all the time because they was happy and felt good. Now they just mope around and also now they only eat every other day unlike they use to eat 2 times a day. They have gone as long as 2 days not wanting to eat this so called good dog food, not, lmao.

At this time I am pissed. My female is due to have pups soon. Usually in the past if I had a female that was due to have pups she would go to the vet and get a checkup and also get vitamins to help her before the pups come but I am concerned the pups will have problems because I also made the mistake of buying this ** dog food. All my mistake. Now that I have done my homework on this dog food like I should have in the first place, I worry about them all the time now. It is crazy to think this company that makes this dog food for the china / American company can get away with this and still be allowed to sell it. I also did not know it is preserved with some crap that gives people and dogs cancer, aaaaaaaaa what the ** do you do when your dogs u love r at risk and there is nothing I feel I can do or is there? Am I looking at this all wrong? What can I do? Can anybody help me? Is there any kind of company that can help since I was in a wreck and cant work, cant give them the food they deserve.

I thought about letting them go to a new home since I feel I can't do anything until I get better and get my settlement from my pain and suffering and all that but it is unfair to think that my babies may have to leave. My male dog has dealt with anxiety ever since I can remember. He gets so upset when I leave his sight, he always wants to be by my side and I see that, use to tear things up, like kennels and walls trying to get out and find me. I found all this out the hard way but I still love him and would not change a thing. He just loves me to death and always wants me around. When I am around he is happy, in many ways he has got better and the anxiety I think is easier with him because I tried helping him understand that I will be back in just a little while.

Anyway as a dog lover y'all understand what I mean. I love him and her more than anything but as a human I make many mistakes and don't think when I should and now my baby's have to pay for it, some of it is because the neglect of a careless driver hitting me on the highway smashing my truck and me up very badly, oh and sorry I really can't spell but I know y'all can understand. Can anybody help with me? Needing better dog food for my baby's. I get my settlement in a month or 2 at most. I am willing to do what it takes to insure that any help offered will be give back. I will sign any promissory notes, whatever it takes. Please help my email is **. If u have any info, advise or offer help, please take some time and do what u can. I will call any long distance number or whatever makes you feel better about helping, whatever it takes, I will allow a lien to be signed against my settlement. I offer my lawyers contact info so u know I am telling the truth **. Please the star between my email is in hopes this reaches others because of the guidelines set in order to write this review.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I only give this treat to two of my dogs, a little 4 lb chihuahua named Chico and a schnauzer named Doodles who weighs 13 lbs. Doodles came down sick first - diarrhea, then bloody diarrhea. Emergency vet on Sunday saved her life, but she almost died. 5 days later our little Chico came down with the same thing and died within 12 hours. Vets could not find out why this happen. Last night I gave this treat to a little dog in our care, and this morning he now has diarrhea and is very sick. Won't eat, vomiting. Do not, I repeat DO NOT buy any Ol Roy treats or dog food. It makes my heart break to know it was my fault my little baby died and now two are so sick and may still die. I am having the treats tested. If it is the treats, I am suing this company big time. We should not have to go thru this pain and heartache of watching our little dogs bleed to death and die in our arms.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

I can't believe this company is still allowed to sell this poison. There have been at least 582,792 cases of recalls because of consumer complaints. These people falsified information to the insurance company to make sure they wouldn't pay for all the expenses I incurred because of their product. My dogs stopped eating or drinking water. They had to be placed in emergency care with IV and other meds but one died. The food manufacturer submits information to the insurance company talk about a conflict of interest.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2014

We bought our eleven-month-old puppy some dog biscuits at Walmart. It was the last thing he ever ate. The next day he was real lethargic. When my husband came home we took him to an emergency clinic. They ran some blood tests and put him on an iv. The next morning, the vet called to tell us that he did not make it through the night. I know it was the ol' roy beef basted dog biscuits we bought him at Walmart.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

Wow I did not realize it was in recall!! But I recently had two puppies die from a disease called HGE. They say it comes from the food I am feeding my dogs. So I will be bringing my newly opened bag of high performance ol roy back to walmart tomorrow. Walmart food causes this to happen. I was just there, they still have it on the shelves. I will be putting my dogs back on a brand I know that is not in recall.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2014

I have six beautiful pups born May 26 and 27, 2014. Their mom is my baby, so I was excited to help her birth her pups...which I did. Once they became 8 weeks, they stated eating dry foods. Now, time passes and they are eating way more (plus I have to feed mom who is a large breed) and finances became tight - I purchased Ol' Roy. Worse mistake of my life. All six of my puppies have been eating this food. Five have excessive diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, extreme loss of weight, refusing food, excessive drinking and one is so bloated he looks to pop. The only thing done different in their lives is the food and I'm to blame for making that choice.

I feel worse than horrible because they depended on me. They trusted me. I let them down because I trusted an American company to have standards, to care about dogs especially when that's what they advertise to be doing. Instead, they are killing them... slowly. One of my pups (the runt) had become so emaciated I cry every time I see her. How could I do this to them? How could a company that knows what their product is doing continue to sell it? How can the regulating organizations let them?

I'm afraid for their health, on a massive scale. I went out and bought Nature's Best to get as close to a raw diet as I can. Some are taking to the small portions. They get well but there's two, the runt and her sister, that will not eat at all. If anyone can give me a suggestion on what to do, I'm open to hearing it. They can't die, none of them... They shouldn't even be like this... I don't think I could handle even one of them dying because of my choice. Help me.

And to the Ol' Roy company, fix this or I will make a mess so large your PR reps will quit, your company will fold, the world will know, and every consumer who had to be subjected to your horrendous practices, your attitudes and watching the beloved fur member suffer will be compensated. Take me at my word. I mean it when I say it. It's a promise/guarantee when I write it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2014

We have a German Shepherd who when we give her the treats she absolutely loves them, I mean really really loves them. In fact to the point she drives us crazy wanting more. The fact is she acts like a tweeker, this is no joke, I’m serious. That dog gets so hyper sometimes to keep her from bugging you to death you have to put her in the other room. The first box we had used was peanut butter flavor. After we got halfway through the box I quit giving them to her. I thought maybe it was the PB was reacting with her and stopped giving them to her. She loves her treats, but none of the other treats such as milk bones or beggin strips drove her so insane. In fact she would choose these over beggin strips.

So we started giving her milk bones again and she went back to acting normal again. Well last week I bought the ol roy multi flavor treats (thinking it was the peanut butter not the treats themselves last time causing the problem) because they was out of milk bones. Once again she goes absolutely tweeker nuts over these treats. I'm done with ol roy crap. Btw these treats seem to make her breath and teeth even worse instead of help keeping them clean. Now the dog really does look like a tweeker. Has anyone else noticed this effect in their dogs?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

We have always bought the best, highest protein dog food that we could afford but they weren't putting any weight on our usual 14 dogs. We thought we'd try something else and was told Complete Nutrition by Ol’ Roy would put weight on. We bought Ol’ Roy starting almost a year ago. Our dogs did start putting on weight but started having health problems. At this point in time we are taking our dogs off it because of all the health problems and sickness that started getting worse with the last two 50# bags we bought. We've had a lot of problems with diarrhea, vomiting, and one dog almost turned into a skeleton till receiving antibiotics. What is wrong with the dog food these days!!!! There is no reason to be selling poison dog food to the public. And this vitamin K thing that they put in it now I've heard is poison. What, does every bit of dog food come from China now?

Ol Roy Pet Foods Company Information