2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

Nutro Dog Food
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have two Yorkies, one 16 year old with stomach issues & 12 year old with collapsed trachea issues. They absolutely love this food. I alternate and give them both (dry & wet). They have been on this food for about a year. My 16 yr old no longer has stomach issues!! Unfortunately, they discontinued only the wet chunky gravy. Luckily, the kibble was not. Onto a my journey to find something similar that they will love. Nutro Ultra please bring back the wet chunky gravy!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Nutro Essentials Dry Dog Food Toy Breed has the smallest bites that I have found. The perfect chihuahua dry dog food. My chihuahua had stopped eating dry dog food, for several years. I tried just about every dry dog food there was, and she refused to eat even the best, including Blue Buffalo. She loves Nutro Toy Breed and has for several years now. She does not like the Nutro Small Breed as much as the Toy Breed. She just loves these tiny bites.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have fed this food for years! And have had many dogs that I have rescued off the streets even on it. I see their coats get better within a week. I currently have 3 dogs that are mine, and they have been on Nutro their whole lives. I have never had a problem with them getting sick or diarrhea. Now that everyone is out of puppy stage, I feed my 3 year old Aussie and my 1 yr old Lab mix the Nutro Ultra Adult (chicken/lamb/salmon) and my 12 year old Staffie the Nutro Ultra Senior food (chicken/lamb/salmon).

I will always feed my dogs this, it has never done me wrong. They have tons of energy, shiny and soft coats, and everything. No reason to change. Any time they have gotten diarrhea or threw up has been because they have eaten a weed in the yard that didn't settle well with them. So don't blame the food, it all depends on the dog and if they have an issue. That's why there are so many dog foods out there, not every dog can eat the same thing. Try a small bag and see how your dog's reaction is on it, and then go from there.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Since we have Chihuahuas, we need the petite sized bites. These are hard to find in most brands with the nutrition we desire for them. Nutro has two varieties with the petite size kibbles and we have used them for our dogs and have suggested them to other family members with small dogs. We have found that our pets are all satisfied and healthy while using the Nutro Ultra as well as the regular Ultra. We have tried other brands, but we keep going back to the Nutro since the dogs seem to like it best and we are satisfied with the ingredients.

Original review: April 5, 2019

In general it is very good dog food but my dog lost its interest in eating it unless I add additional wet food together. We have also try other brand of dog food but we like Nutro for its nutritional value (less filler content and also right balance of protein content). Comparing to Blue Buffalo brand which has too high protein content it will lead to weight gain issue for most dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I started using Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice in 2011 when I got my second bulldog from a breeder that was using it. I did all the reviews and thought this was going to make a difference as previous bulldog did not have the best of health. AFter 9 years my dog started to get sick with seizures. She was perfectly healthy up until that time then she started having severe rhinitis. She was constantly throwing up her food. She lost 30 lbs in less than six months. She finally lost her battle to live. After 2 months I adopted another bulldog 3 years old in good health. I started to switch her dog food over to what we were feeding my previous bulldog. After her first day of all Nutro and nothing from the other food she started having seizures? I am now in transition of once again moving her off of Nutro. I have the dog food in a sealed container and would like to have it tested. I truly believe my dog died from this dog food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

We have fed our pets Nutro for years up until the 2008 recall. It tooks years to trust the brand again and we have used their dog food since 2012 (wet & dry). All was well until recently when our dogs' digestion started acting up with diarrhea and he oddly shivered. We did not suspect the food immediately, but started feeding rice and boiled chicken with carrots to recover him. He immediately perked up. Last night was the final straw as the shivering was very scary and it was clear that pup was nauseous. I gave him chicken broth and he had a rough night, had another bout of semi-soft poop and seems to be feeling better now. Apparently no product is being recalled, but I am disturbed to read so many poor reviews similar to our own experience. Never feeding Nutro again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I started my Yorkie mix on the canned Nutro dog food the same night as his new meds for incontinence and he was very sick with almost constant diarrhea and vomiting. I thought it was the meds so I stopped them but fed him his Nutro (I mix about a quarter of a can with his dry dog food, which is another brand he has been eating for awhile with no issues) and he continued to vomit undigested food, bile and watery diarrhea. At times he was going out every ten to fifteen minutes, usually every half hour, for almost 24 hours.

I started him on rice and slowly some turkey and it cleared up. I also stopped his meds. After he felt better the next night, I fed him his Nutro and dry food combo and within an hour he was vomiting and had frequent bouts of diarrhea. I will never feed him this food again. I will have another long, sleepless night of tending to my very ill dog because of this dog food. I googled it and was astonished to hear so many others with these symptoms.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I have a 12 yr old Boston and a 14 yr old Doxie. They had dental done and needed soft food afterwards. I tried Nutro, my Doxie refuses to eat it. My Boston ate the Nutro w/out issue. Two weeks post Nutro, on Christmas Day, my Boston started seizing. She is a very healthy dog, besides being blind she is very healthy and acts like a pup still. Nothing else in her routine or diet has changed, we were able to pin it down to the Nutro is the only difference.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

My dog has been on Nutro Chicken dog food for approx 1-1/2 years. I opened a new bag and with in 24-36 hours my dog had severe diarrhea. I took him off of this and put him on boiled chicken and rice. I also took him to the Vet and was told after antibiotics to slowly put him back on this dog food. After 10 days I did this only to have it come back yet again 24-36 hours later! This was a brand new bag that I opened in the beginning. I took him back to the vet and they put him on a RX dog food and more antibiotics. Now we did blood work up. I contacted Nutro and they wanted a sample of the dog food only to tell me there was nothing wrong with it. It was never tested I am sure. My dog had pancreatitis which I am sure is related to this food. My dog also has high cholesterol. I will never use anything from Nutro again!

Not sure about Nutro Dog Food?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right dog food for you.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

by Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information