Nutro Dog Food
2.01/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

3047 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have two Yorkies, one 16 year old with stomach issues & 12 year old with collapsed trachea issues. They absolutely love this food. I alternate and give them both (dry & wet). They have been on this food for about a year. My 16 yr old no longer has stomach issues!! Unfortunately, they discontinued only the wet chunky gravy. Luckily, the kibble was not. Onto a my journey to find something similar that they will love. Nutro Ultra please bring back the wet chunky gravy!!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have fed this food for years! And have had many dogs that I have rescued off the streets even on it. I see their coats get better within a week. I currently have 3 dogs that are mine, and they have been on Nutro their whole lives. I have never had a problem with them getting sick or diarrhea. Now that everyone is out of puppy stage, I feed my 3 year old Aussie and my 1 yr old Lab mix the Nutro Ultra Adult (chicken/lamb/salmon) and my 12 year old Staffie the Nutro Ultra Senior food (chicken/lamb/salmon).

I will always feed my dogs this, it has never done me wrong. They have tons of energy, shiny and soft coats, and everything. No reason to change. Any time they have gotten diarrhea or threw up has been because they have eaten a weed in the yard that didn't settle well with them. So don't blame the food, it all depends on the dog and if they have an issue. That's why there are so many dog foods out there, not every dog can eat the same thing. Try a small bag and see how your dog's reaction is on it, and then go from there.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Since we have Chihuahuas, we need the petite sized bites. These are hard to find in most brands with the nutrition we desire for them. Nutro has two varieties with the petite size kibbles and we have used them for our dogs and have suggested them to other family members with small dogs. We have found that our pets are all satisfied and healthy while using the Nutro Ultra as well as the regular Ultra. We have tried other brands, but we keep going back to the Nutro since the dogs seem to like it best and we are satisfied with the ingredients.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We bought Nutro Wholesome Essentials (Small Breed - Adult - Flavor Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Recipe) for our pomeranian and the bag we bought made all of our dogs sick. Especially my pomeranian Biggie. He started out with black tarry loose stool that turned to a yellow diarrhea before turning to straight watery blood after 48 hours. My dog vomited twice and was in pain. We paid $400 to two vet hospitals to get my pom treated. We paid for blood tests and were given antibiotics that we are praying works for him along with a prescribed bland diet. We were ordered to stop feeding our dogs Nutro. When we came home from the vet we discovered our other dogs sick with yellow diarrhea because they were also eating Nutro. After we stopped feeding the food the dogs Nutro the vomiting and diarrhea stopped being sick.

I contacted Smart and Final in Camarillo where the product was bought to let them know what happened and that store pulled the product off shelves. I filed a formal complaint with the store in an effort to have the SKU removed from all Smart and Final stores. Nutro is dangerous and should be taken off shelves. I'm reporting to Consumer Affairs, BBB, and anyone else that will help in filing a formal complaint against Nutro further poisoning dogs with their substandard food quality. NUTRO IS TOXIC! BEWARE. Many recent consumer comments reporting dog poisoning.

Attached are photos of the Nutro Dog Food bag.
      Info For Poison Bag of NUTRO Food Purchased with SKU:
      Nutro -Feed Clean - Wholesome Essentials -Small Breed - Adult - Farm Raised Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato.
      Bar Code SKU: 079105122177
      Best By: May 20, 2020 (28_2)

921C2VICO8 17:22 CAPF00024

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I started 2 of my 3 dogs on Nutro weight management (chicken formula) a few months ago as it was listed as a recommended product from my vet. They did not seem to have any issues and did lose a few pounds. HOWEVER..when I went to purchase a second bag, Petsmart only had the Lamb and rice formula. Because I was completely out, I purchased it. Within a few days, one of the 2 started getting up in the middle of the night to vomit. It had some full sized kibble in it. The food didn't occur to me as the source because I didn't change brands, only protein source. Two weeks later, my 2nd guy started to vomit. He has a tough tummy.

At the same time, my little Pomeranian was having diarrhea and I couldn't figure out why because her food had not changed. What I have since realized is that the Pomeranian was eating the kibble that fell from the big guy's bowls. Now that I've had them on a bland diet AND switched off of Nutro all together, all 3 dogs are completely fine. I was saddened to see so many similar stories and NO recalls or warnings. What more can we do here? The Petsmart manager said "unless the FDA has a direct correlation, we won't pull it". Ugh.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've been feeding my 5 y/o Boston Terrier Nutro Max since December of 2017. I had no complaints until now. I started using a new bag about 4 days ago. The first feeding he vomited up undigested food. Same the next day. He's been eating very little of it. Last night he started vomiting up bile, and has been doing so steady throughout the night and this morning. I will be changing food and no longer using this brand.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I started to feed my 9 month old puppy Nutro Essentials puppy food (chicken/rice/sweet potato). I purchase a small bag at Wal-Mart and my dog seemed to enjoy the food clearing her bowl (which was not done with her previous brand). As I was near the end of that bag I purchased the next small bag at Pets Supply Plus. My dog ate one serving and threw up undigested food a few hours later. At the next feeding time she again ate but threw up undigested food a few hours later and proceeded to vomit bile throughout the night.

The next morning she would not eat the food or even go near her dish nor would she would drink water. I gave her ice cubes to chew on plus the bland homemade diet of rice and boiled chicken for two days. She ate and digested the homemade food without problems. I started to re-introduce the Nutro but even with only a small amount (1/4 cup) mixed into the homemade food she began to vomit bile. I stopped feeding the food and notified Nutro but no response. I will no longer be purchasing or feeding Nutro.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our Cocker Spaniel has been in Nutro Chicken dry food since a puppy. She is now almost three. We decided to mix the Lamb and Rice in with the Chicken. Within a few days, had vomiting issues and started refusing to eat. I added some boiled chicken which regretfully made her eat the food. She became extremely lethargic. Would just sleep all day with no interest in anything and no energy. Took her to vet - took fecal sample and blood test but he couldn’t find anything wrong. Finally dawned on me about food and I went back to the chicken only. Within a day, she was back to her old self. The only thing we changed was her food.

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
      Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information