Nutro Dog Food
1.75/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

3027 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

I bought the adult lamb and rice Nutro dog food and started mixing 1 cup with 1 cup Purina puppy food as I was transitioning my puppy to adult food. It took about a month to get through the 15 lb bag. Then I stopped the puppy food and went solely to the Nutro. About a week in, my 6 month old border/aussie started having liquidy, yellow diarrhea. It took me about another week to realize it was the Nutro. My dog had stopped eating as much and then didn't want to eat the food at all. We thought she was sick and this was why. I would mix in a little chicken broth so she would eat (after the fact, I regret forcefeeding her this poison). She also drank very little water, which was worrisome because of the diarrhea.

She no longer played, mostly just slept, and wasn't herself. She would have accidents in the middle of the night when she was already fully potty trained. Both pees and 'poops'. They also were the most disgusting smell in the world. Nothing like a normal dog poop smell. It smelt like rancid meat and chemicals. The picture attached is not my own, but it is what her poop looked like-sometimes even less solid and almost with a gelatinous nature.

I read reviews here (luckily after only 2 weeks) and threw away the Nutro. I started feeding her a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice. It took about 4-5 days before she took her first solid poop again! She also regained her energy and went back to being her normal, hyper little self. I kept her on chicken and rice for another 2 weeks then switched her to Fromm dog food. She has been perfect ever since (that was 4 months ago). I believe NUTRO would have killed her had she eaten it 1 more week. Why is there no recall yet? #doglivesmatter

Original review: April 16, 2019

I got a bag of this for my 4 month old German Shepherd because of the good reviews and it was a horrible mistake! After about a week and a half my puppy would throw up in his kennel around 5:30-6:340am, like clockwork. A yellow bile substance. I thought it was because of the late night treats he would get before bed, but when I cut those out he would still do it 3 nights a week. He was also consistently gaining 3 lbs a week on the food we started him out on, which was Purina One Large Breed puppy Food. Well the past 2 weeks he has maintained and even lost a pound. Did some digging on the food and it is apparently a thing with Nutro, the throwing up in the middle of the night. I feel bad that he was on it for as long as he was!

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We have been using Nutro Chicken/Brown Rice Large Breed Puppy food for our Wheaten Terrier since he was 12 weeks old and he seems to like it a lot. He is 1 1/2 years old and we are switching to Large breed Adult Nutro Chicken/brown rice. Made in U.S.A without anything added from anywhere else.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I buy food that has meat in the first couple of ingredients. I avoid any non-meat meal or meat by-products. Peas are something that should be down the ingredients label. Look for vitamins and minerals with a strong percentage of proteins.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bear died with complications of Protein Losing Enteropathy due to bad batch of this food. I cannot begin to tell people how guilty I feel for feeding him this. I am lost without him. Shame on you Nutro and shame on Petsmart for selling it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: April 13, 2019

Our three dogs are healthy and have shiny, thick coats. Other dog food brands we have tried seem to have caused itching and dull coats. Ingredients indicate Nutro is a healthy, grain-free pet food.

Original review: April 12, 2019

We have been feeding our Mia, Nutro Essentials Small Breed dry dog food since she was a puppy. She's going to be 5 this Sunday. I opened a new 15lb. bag of the Nutro Essentials Small Breed Adult and she started puking a few hours later. Not realizing it was the food making her sick for a couple days, went to feed her breakfast and she would not eat it. Just looked at the bowl and looked me. Put two and two together then.

I called the store where I bought it and was told they were getting many calls recently about this very issue with Nutro foods and was told to bring it back and they would help me find a new dog food for her. We are very disappointed with the Nutro company for not being forthcoming about their ingredient change. Our pets are our family and would never knowingly feed them something that would make them sick. Shame on you Nutro, spent money on new bag designs and getting that word out, but when it came to the dog food recipe change you said nothing.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Own three dogs of varying ages, size and activity levels. Dogs are healthy and satisfied. I feel the food is a bit pricey but worth it. I use auto delivery and reorder via Chewy.com for best available pricing and convenience.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have been feeding my dogs Nutro for Years. I feel as if this food has given them the best life possible. No unnecessary vet visits, healthy teeth, gums, over all good health. Love this food and so do my dogs.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We went through many dog foods to find the one right for our Rottweiler. Nutro has been the best so far for his sensitive stomach. He loves the taste and does not have any bad side effects with this brand. Thank you!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My dog's breeder recommended Nutro Ultra and I've fed my dog this food all his life. He has GREATLY exceeded the life expectancy for his breed -- he is nearly 14 (vs. normal expectancy of 8-10 years) and his health has been excellent.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My Miniature Poodle is over 16 years old and has been a picky eater for most of her life. Last year I tried a different food for her. NUTRO WHOLESOME ESSENTIALS, small breed Senior. I basically fill her bowl, and she eats what she wants, normally about a cup and a half. Great product. J **, Charlotte NC

Original review: March 31, 2019

We fed our dog canned Nutro food since we got him at 8 weeks and he loved it. Nutro decides to change the formula and add chunks of vegetables in it and he won’t eat it. Hasn’t eaten in two days. Had to change brands of dog foods. Thanks a lot Nutro!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Suddenly making my 18 month old dog sick. My little dog has been on this food since she was a puppy.. I bought a bag a few weeks ago... She started throwing up. Urinating in my house, passing gas.. And did not seem herself. I would have never thought it was the food causing issues.. Being I have given to her since she was 3 months old.. There were also times she refused to eat it! We could not figure out what was wrong with her. I was so worried I ended up calling my vet and was told to start eliminating everything I feed her one at a time for a few days. Well she has been off this for a few days now and has been perfect! NO MORE ISSUES! This food needs to be recalled ASAP!

Original review: March 24, 2019

Within a few hours of feeding this product to our dog he began having stomach distress, with frequent loud expulsions of gas, followed by severe diarrhea. He's a house trained adult who never "goes" indoors, but he was incontinent and has had a number of accidents. No indication of this being a problem but now when you go to the Nutro website and try to pull up the webpage for this product, it appears to have been taken down.

Original review: March 23, 2019

He (Lab) loved his Nutro wholesome essentials when we first got him at 8 weeks old. Now at 10 months old, within the last month or so he has been puking early in the mornings and constantly eating grass to make himself sick, and has been having severe diarrhea. We have been feeding him the lamb and rice dry food. It was to the point where he didn't touch his food for over 24 hours. First thing we did was change his food. And guess what, he is back to normal! Recently Nutro has changed their ingredients to make it cheaper and using more chicken meal. We switched him to Go! Solutions by Petcurean. We highly recommend if you are having issues with Nutro.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have been feeding my Pomeranian JoJo Nutro Small Breed and Toy Breed and when he eats he's not active and just sleeps. No energy and two days ago he vomited yellow bile. I am upset cause I didn't know Nutro is making dogs sick. It's shameful they kept this a secret at the expense of my dog eating food that is making him sick.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I raised both ten year old Papillons on this food. Recently I started seeing it on the shelves at places like Walgreens and Dollar General. This gave me great pause. 2 years ago we adopted a larger rescue and starting buying the Nutro cans of the same food. There was so much gel, the poor dog began having horrible re-flux issues. We stopped and bought more of the smaller packs for her as well. About 2 months ago we bought a case of the chicken and rice from PetSmart and had to return it. The food inside was old and grey tone. They apologized and gave us the "new" look packets.

The recipe which I knew first hand as I hand fed one of my older dogs, had changed. They added sweet potato to the chicken and rice which only had peas before. The Lamb has that same gel found in the cans. All of my dogs got diarrhea and acid re-flux. Their poop was green and yellow. Total bile from their insides. I am angered beyond reason. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on their food, and now have to scramble to find something my 10 year old can eat, who has been eating this since he was a year old.

Shame on them. DO NOT FEED your dogs this food and do not believe a word they say about not changing the recipe. It's an absolute lie. I have had this food in my hands literally feeding my little one who has tooth issues. The recipes are the worst made with the cheapest ingredients. Shame on PetSmart, and Chewy who didn't notify their customers of this change. However, it seems that PetSmart bought Chewy.com and receives product fairly cheap. They just pass on the garbage to our dogs. SHAME!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been feeding my 3 dogs Nutro wet food packaged in the small trays, for the past 5 years. Nutro changed their packaging and formula for the worse. Not only do my dogs not like it, it has made them sick. By process of elimination it was determine that the new formulation Nutro was the culprit. I’ve read online reviews of many pet owners having experience the same results as I have. I noticed when I opened a tray that it has way too much gelatin. I would say 20% of the tray is nothing but gelatin. I actually had to scoop it off before I feed them. Never again! I wish Nutro would bring back their old formula.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have been feeding my Boston Terrier Daisy Nutro natural for seven years. She became ill in August and I did not make the connection with Nutro until recently. She passed away on August 20, 2018 suddenly. 40s before she passed away she stopped eating as much then two days later she became lethargic. And she passed away two days later. My son’s dog a boxer only nine years old passed away from cancer of the tumor in his brain and in his mouth and he also ate the Nutro natural dog food. His dog and my dog play together all the time and eat the same food. I Daisy was only a trooper just turned nine. They’ve been together since they were born and now they’re both gone, With one thing in common Nutro natural. If you’re reading all these reviews and seeing how other pets Responded to it, I really think the loss of these two sweet pets was aided by Nutro natural.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have a 10-month old miniature Dachshund who has always been fed Nutro wet food and Nutro kibble. I have been buying the 12-pack turkey and chicken trays since he transitioned to adult food after his neuter a couple months ago. Over the last couple weeks, he has been reluctant to eat, which is odd because he usually eats anything and everything. He’s also been less energetic after meals and wanting to lie around after eating. Last night after dinner, he began vomiting violently and having explosive diarrhea, tremors, and loss of motor function. I’m handing the remaining unopened trays of food over to the vet in hopes she can identify what in the food caused his symptoms.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My 2 Yorkies have been getting sick off of this dog food. I have bought this dog food for the past 7 - 9 years and I never realized that my dogs were getting sick periodically. This would happen when the labeling and or ingredients would change from time to time. I noticed this particular time that my "Lamb" diet food was not being eaten and when I decided to wash my dogs bowl I noticed this "Lamb" diet smelled strongly of fish. My dogs currently have diarrhea and have been very lethargic.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

If I could give negative stars I would. Our regular vet had us put our Golden Pyrenees on Nutro nearly 2 years ago to help with her weight... She loved food, especially if it was within her reach such as dinner table, kitchen counter. It seems that Nutro changed their packaging and even naming of food not long ago which, I read here others think they changed the formula and I’m inclined to agree since her symptoms showed up about 2 35 lb bags into the change. She never had nor was suspected of having any heart issues but her diagnosis from vet hospital, after xrays, ultra-sounds, visible symptoms, blood work was DCM and CHF, Thrombocytopenia, Pulmonary thromboembolism and cranial vena cava thrombosis and Acute Kidney Injury.

Her symptoms began about a week or so before hospitalization with nebulization/oxygen cage when she began hacking/coughing, before that she was panting like she was hot so I did all I knew to cook her down (groomed/thinned her fur and bought cool pad for her bed). I thought the hacking was possibly hairball until a couple days after hacking started, she fainted. Symptoms upon hospital admission: thrombocytopenia, mild pleural and abdominal effusion, neutrophilia, mildly elevated liver enzymes, azotemia, dyspnea-hemoptysis-epistaxis, facial swelling and Bloody black tar stools.

Finally, symptoms escalated, became more lethargic, nearly unresponsive, and coughing up blood. We were on the verge of transferring her to another clinic to try a hyperbaric chamber, before coughing up blood, but vet questioned if she would survive the transfer. I was willing to sell the moon and the stars to save her but once she began coughing up blood the vet said it was from the lungs... We had to let her go. We lost her 10/10/18. They did put her on 1000 mg of taurine and 1000 mg L-carnitine, which I know is along the lines of this whole “grain free” issue. Please check your dogs blood work if on this or any grain free food. Find a supplement to add if you don’t change foods.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have 2 dogs, a 10 yo and a 2 yo. They have both been eating Nutro Small Bites Lamb and Rice. The 10 yo has been on Nutro for many years. They both threw up yellow bile 4 days ago and they both suffered loss of motor function. After finding this site, with others having similar experiences with Nutro, we switched their food. The 2 yo bounced back immediately. It took the 10 yo 72 hours to get most of his motor function back. We will not feed them Nutro ever again!!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We fed our dog Nutro dry dog food since she was a pup. Normally purchased the food at Petsmart. In November of 2018 I discovered that Walmart started carrying the same food, still branded Nutro in the exact same bag, for several dollars cheaper. Those of you that know Nutro realize this food is not cheap. Within a week my dog started getting sick - at that time we did not suspect that it was the food. She continued to eat it and became sicker. With Vets input we changed food and there was much improvement in her BM - from water to a paste. Later discovered it was in fact the Nutro HOWEVER we caught it too late (please mind that this dog was taken to the vet on a regular basis and no illness was ever ignored, or treatment postponed).

Tried to contact Nutro without any response whatsoever. I did learn that they changed the contents of the food when they went for the mass market Walmart appeal to lower their production cost. Stay away fro this brand and this company. They don't care two ** about animals not even to the point of responding to assist you in saving your dogs life. Had I been able to find out what changed, we would have been able to treat her for the poison they package! Instead of petting my 3 year old Rottie, I now get to look at the urn in which she is placed. May she rest in peace and Nutro go down in flames!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

These treats gave all 3 of my dogs food poisoning, one of them almost died. This company will not respond to anything about this experience and denied this experience even after I provided them with the vet bill/notes showing that they had food poisoning. Do not buy these treats. Their treats have been recalled in the past. These treats are dangerous!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Bought a bag of Nutro thinking it was quality food. Started feeding it to my GSD on Thursday and almost immediately she started with diarrhea. It's now Sunday and it has got so bad that she is suffering. I have come to the conclusion it's the Nutro food because she was fine before I started feeding her this. The dry food is the only change made to her diet so it must be this Nutro dry causing her problem. Now I have to throw away an almost full bag of food. Not risking feeding her any more of this.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Earlier this year, my young dog started itching and I was wondering about a food allergy. She was on Nutro Small Bites for adults. Food allergies are a tricky thing to diagnose, but after reading all the horrid reviews, we decided to make a change and we just put her on Castor & Pollux brand. She hasn't had any problems since. Since my senior was doing well on his food that he had eaten for over 5 years, we continued giving Him the Nutro Senior.

We buy food at the commissary, not a big box store, so my hypothesis is we have been buying reserve food and finally caught up with the current production that is making dogs puke and giving diarrhea. We opened a new bag last week and he was dry heaving like he was sick and had bloody stool at first. I didn't know he was on a new bag as my husband takes care of that, but when the projectile diarrhea started, my husband admitted he was on a fresh bag of food and we may have caught up to everyone else. We moved my senior to the Castor & Pollux food and I was confused because they don't have a senior line but it says on the packaging it's for all stages, making it really easy to just buy and serve!

NUTRO Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Nutro has been providing natural ingredients to pet food since 1926. Nutro’s commitment to healthy and safe pet food keeps their formula tailored for each stage of a pet’s life. Nutro is also active in local and national pet communities through its dog park appreciation program, its partnership with RESCUE BANK pet food distribution program, its support of the Natural Disaster Search Dog Foundation and its sustainability efforts.

• Nutro Rotations: Nutro Rotations is a dog food product designed to add variety to your dog’s diet. Rotations’ recipes are interchangeable, meaning that you can switch between food bags without harming your dog’s stomach. This brand of food is designed for dogs up to seven years old and 65 pounds.

• Farm’s Harvest: Farm’s Harvest dog food combine kibble with farm-raised fruits and vegetables for a balanced, nutritious meal. Farm’s Harvest is available for small and large dogs of all ages.

• Nutro Ultra: Nutro Ultra is a specialty dog food that uses nutrient-packed food designed to build muscles, improve vision, keep coats shiny and maintain a healthy immune system. Ultra products are available for toy, small and large breeds of all ages.

• Wild Frontier: Wild Frontier is Nutro’s high-protein dog food. This food is grain-free and is designed for active dogs.

• Greenies: Nutro’s Greenies dog treats are designed to improve pet health. Greenies Dental Chews help dogs maintain healthy teeth and gums, and Greenies Pill Pockets are treats that make feeding your dog medicine easier.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information