2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Like many other reviews, about 4 weeks ago, my dog too got immediately sick after switching to this dog food. After one day, she had diarrhea and had a LOT of blood in her stool. I finally figured out it was the food in her stool, soaked with blood. After a vet bill of over $350, I ruled out any other infection or bacteria...it just was this bad food. Please do not give this food to your precious furry babies...they can die from it!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My little Shitzu Bichon mix recently got so sick we took him to the emergency after hours vet...he began throwing up and throwing up (about 20 times). He was so weak he could barely walk. I was racking my brain to think of what could’ve made him so sick. So I googled any treats he’d been given. No reports of illness. I googled Nutro which I had recently transitioned him to. Tons of sick dogs recently! Within days of fully transitioning to all Nutro, my dog became so sick! I will never give my dog Nutro again. The company should do the responsible thing and do some research as to why so many animals are getting sick!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My 75 lb. pitbull with an iron stomach began vomiting profusely almost immediately after starting her on this brand. I wonder what lab I could send this to to get it tested? I bought 2 bags and threw the unopened one out. Why return it so someone else can poison their dog??? It's poison!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We’ve been using Nutro wet food (sensitive stomach) for both our Yorkies for years. We recently changed them over to Nutro (Senior) as they are getting older and suppose to be easier on their stomach. We’ve noticed that both dogs started vomiting yellow bile after eating the food for three days now and both started having diarrhea with blood in it. We rushed them to Vet today and they got put on Antibiotics. The Vet couldn’t tell us what was causing them to get sick. I got home and immediately went online to research complaints on Nutro dog food and noticed all the negative reviews with similar issues surrounding this food. Done with this brand, we also contacted consumer reviews 1-866-773-0221 to file a complaint. With so many similar stories something is definitely wrong with this dog food.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

After hearing so much about grain free foods not being good for our dogs, I went to our local Petsmart and was recommended Nutro small bites. I slowly introduced the food over about a week long period. We were on vacation when we noticed both of our 4 pound Yorkies were having diarrhea and some vomiting but decided maybe it was just from the travel in our motorhome. One of them got so sick that we had to find a vet on our way home, he couldn’t figure out what was wrong with him... diarrhea, throwing up and like he was in pain if we tried picking him up.

When we got home we took them into our vet, $450 later they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with them. We started feeding them boiled chicken and rice and they both got better within a couple of days, we started them back on the Nutro and they both got sick again! We have completely taken them off the Nutro and they have both been fine! They need to recall this food!! I think it was slowly killing my poor little guys! We are cooking our own food from now on!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Been feeding our dogs Nutro Wholesome Essentials Healthy Weight Adult Pasture Fed Lamb & Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food for years. My 11 year French Pug is deathly allergic to chicken so this WAS a safe food until now. Without notice Nutro changed this lamb and rice formula. Opened a new bag 3 weeks ago- first feeding my dog was vomiting and having diarrhea. I had purchased a new bag from Amazon like usual- only to learn our trusted stand by now has chicken meal listed as the 5th ingredient. Same label, no warning!

It’s going on 3 miserable weeks since that one meal from the antagonistic chicken protein in this kibble. We've since spent over $400 at the vet between meds, lab tests and treatment for our poor Fonzie. He's not out of the woods yet. For now Fonzie is eating canned rx Royal Canin Gastro. Thanks Nutro for screwing up a good thing and almost killing my dog. After feeding your food for 10+ years, you've lost a loyal customer. I will never trust Nutro again -ever!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Never buying a Nutro product again!!! We have two dogs, a Border Collie and a Chihuahua. They started with diarrhea and our Chihuahua had blood and mucus in his. I took him to the vet and they really couldn't tell me what was wrong. He was put on an antibiotic for a week with a special canned food for digestive problems, and charged me $130.00. We also noticed they were not eating the food any longer. I Googled Nutro Wholesome Essentials - adult and found all of the reviews, and knew we found the problem. That food was slowly killing our dogs!! Nutro, we are done with you!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been buying Nutro dog food for my dogs for years, but I will never buy another bag. For the last three weeks I have been struggling to figure out what has been making my dogs ill, but now I know that it is the Nutro dog food. I know this because I have taken them off the food and put them on a bland diet of chicken, rice, and broth and they improve. As soon as I reintroduce the Nutro, the yellow mucus and ultimately blood in the stools returns as well as the vomiting.

Unfortunately, it took me three cycles of doing this to my animals before I figured it out. We took them on a weekend trip during the first bout of illness (right after I bought the new bag of food) so we blamed the trip and stress. We tried to reintroduce the Nutro when they improved after about a week and they got sick all over again. We incorrectly assumed their stomachs just weren't ready for kibble yet. Now after 3 weeks and both dogs being in good health for about a week, I slowly introduced the food back into their daily diet, and bam--both sick again. I am convinced The Nutro is the cause, and it's not the first time their food has made animals sick.

Called Nutro's consumer care number and after sitting on hold for 15 minutes I managed to talk to an agent and make my complaint. I asked if they have had any similar reports and the agent said, "We don't have any recalls or anything at the moment so I don't think so." Sure thing. This site tells me otherwise. They are sending me a voucher for a new bag of food which I will be throwing away along with this bag. Nutro really doesn't seem to care that they are potentially killing people's pets.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Nutro Wholesome Essentials Feed Clean Dog and Cat Dry Kibble sounded great on the label, but my dog and cat ignore it. I had tried different flavors, chicken vs. Salmon and had the same issues with cat and dog. Upon mixing it with their wet food, they got stomach issues, {mucousy stools, bleeding (my dog)} and throwing up. My cat just ignores the bowl of kibble now, it has sat there for weeks, even when I dumped it and tried more of the new flavor, (chicken to salmon). When mixed with wet food, it caused her to throw up, which she never did before. I called Nutro reading that they add garlic to the food, but they said it was a safe amount. Please read your other reviews with numerous similar complaints including their beloved pets dying. I do not wish to take that chance with my precious fur family members.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I started using Nutro Wholesome Essentials Chicken small breed adult, about A month ago, because it was GMO free. Dogs that normally eat within minutes, started leaving food within a week of feeding it, to the point of some not eating it at all. After about 2 weeks of feeding this food, I noticed vomiting and loose stools, to Bloody Diarrhea. Every dog showed the same symptoms. As soon as I took them off this food All is back to normal. There is Definitely something wrong with this food. There needs to be a Recall before some possibly die.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Our dog became overwhelmingly sick with gastroenteritis after starting a new bag 1.5 week ago. She is currently hospitalized. We have been buying Nutro for years, but not anymore. The number of similar cases in such a short amount of time is frightening.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

My boyfriend and I had a 7 year old Pit that we had to lay to rest three days ago after switching to Nutro two weeks before his death. It began with loss of balance/limping five days after the switch. Then the vomiting and diarrhea started. He couldn't hold down a thing, not even the liquid food from a syringe. Then his kidney and liver failed. Over 4k in vet costs and never had an answer. This food poisoned our dog.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I started feeding my 12 year old Eskimo Spitz mix Nutro Wholesome Essentials and at first I thought she was doing wonderful on this food. 3 weeks pass and her hair is falling out in masses and she began vomiting bright yellow piles all over my house. The next day she began to have blood specks in her vomit. I did my research and saw similar complaints affecting large amounts of dogs on this food due to ingredient change. I poured the whole bag in the garbage and refuse to feed her anymore. Do yourself and your furbaby a favor. Choose another food.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My dog is 9.5 yrs. WE have been using Nutro her entire life. About a year ago, I noticed A LOT of dry yacking and coughing, all day, everyday. I thought it was maybe her age, but recently she has been vomiting her food up everyday for the past month. I switched to a better brand suggested by my pet store. Immediately, my dog has no coughing, no yacking and no VOMIT! It's been over a week. I can't believe how much of a daily happiness switching made both of us. Sleeping at night and feeling better. Even her potty responses have changed SIGNIFICANTLY! I'm so shocked how a dog food was basically slowly destroying and killing my dog. I CAN'T THANK THE PET STORE ENOUGH FOR SAVING US AND IMPROVING DAILY LIFE. I'm so happy my dog can now eat in peace!!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

My dog Pepper is a healthy 7-year old Chihuahua Jack-Russell mix, and I've been feeding her Nutro Wholesome Essentials (chicken, small-breed) for a couple years now due to the raving reviews. I noticed this year she has started throwing up somewhat often, but I didn't think it was her food since she'd been doing well on it for a long while.

I recommended the food to my parents since my dog had been doing well and the food was good quality. They purchased Nutro Ultra (small breed) for their two chihuahuas, both healthy, 1 and 3 years old. Immediately after feeding the Nutro, both dogs vomited. Over the duration of 3 weeks on the Nutro, both dogs have become noticeably more lethargic, frequently vomit, and one now has mucusy, bloody diarrhea, messing in the house where he usually never does. These are both normally highly energetic dogs and haven't been known to have any stomach or health issues prior. After a day of feeding them their old diet, they have already perked up and have kept the food down.

After learning and seeing the effects, I looked into the dog food more thoroughly and found many complaints and reviews of the exact same experiences. My own dog hasn't had symptoms quite as severe, but I'm now concerned that her stomach sensitivity, decreased energy, and now hair loss may be attributed to the Nutro food. I will be switching her off immediately. I will now be keeping up with dog foods every couple months to recheck their quality and researching foods more thoroughly, especially before recommending it. Just be warned, there is something in this food that seems to be making a lot of dogs sick, and potentially killing them. Always research and keep up with your dog's food, especially if anything seems off.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

BEYOND ANNOYED! My name is Stephanie and I used to work for your company years ago as a food demo'er. I am now a LVT (licensed vet tech) and have seen what you have done to people's pets first hand. I was your #1 supporter and would try to convert any and every pet owner I knew to switch to your food. I was recently advised that your ingredients had changed in all of your diets and now chicken is your #1 ingredient in all of the food. WHY ON EARTH would you do this and not tell your customers that you made that change? People bought lamb and rice because it was lamb and rice and lamb (lamb meal) was the first ingredient. This was the food that you based all of your posters and literature off of and your #1 seller, I know I use to work in the pet stores as well. Now chicken and chicken fat come before the actual meat you have listed as the foods 'flavor".

Any time we had a animal come in with a possible allergy issue we would instantly tell them to switch to your lamb and rice because we knew the ingredients that were in it and knew that 90% of the time it would take care of any issue. This is because 90% of dogs and cats with food allergies are allergic to CHICKEN AND BEEF!!! I was appalled to see all the bad reviews in the last few months on your page and can't believe that your company has not bothered to mention anything to anyone yet that the change happened and what you are planning on doing about it. You are making dogs/cats sick and the only reason it's not news is that it's not from something like salmonella, or high metal content.

I use to trust this company with my life and the life of my pets. I would stand up to anyone that would try to say they had a better food than yours and NOW I CAN'T TRUST YOU EITHER! At this point you have lost one of your biggest supporters and I will be pulling both my dog and cat off of your food. I will also be doing the same for my sister's animals and anyone that I come in contact with will know what you have done and can make the choice themselves. I am just beyond disturbed that a company that had the reputation that you did wouldn't have thought about the consequences of what you just did.

Original review: July 20, 2018

If it were not for this website and the reports that I found here, I would never have known what it was that was making my dog so sick for the past 6 months that I was pretty sure I was losing him. He was so sick that I called the in-home euthanasia vet, asking them to be on standby for me. I have been feeding my dog Nutro Lamb and Rice dry food for the past 12 years. I learned the hard way that he was VERY allergic to any kind of chicken product or anything with ANY kind of fowl, and I have been very careful to make sure that there was NEVER any chicken or other fowl ingredient in ANY food or treat that he ate. Now I have learned that Nutro decided to add CHICKEN to the "Lamb and Rice" formulation - WITHOUT PROVIDING ANY NOTICE TO THE CONSUMER ABOUT THE CHANGE. This is unconscionable. My dog was so sick... not eating... lethargic... and his whole body was covered with sores and his skin was literally falling off his body.

We have seen the vet multiple times over the past 6 months, and he seemed to get better at one point, but I think that was because I had perhaps gotten an older bag of the formulation that did not contain chicken. When he got very sick again, and I found this website and the information about the food, I ran to the bag that I had been using, and found that the second ingredient listed on the bag is now chicken. I was HORRIFIED. I knew immediately that this is what was making my dog so sick, and my poor dog had been dealing with this for almost 6 months. HOW COULD A COMPANY THAT I TRUSTED DO THIS TO ME AND ALL OF THE OTHER DOGS OUT THERE THAT ARE ALLERGIC TO CHICKEN????

If they had placed a label on the front of the bag to notify the customer of the change, I would NEVER have purchased the food. This is positively unconscionable to me. I CANNOT fathom how any responsible company could do something like this. My dog is still sick, but he is under treatment with my vet. I am hoping he will recover, but I do not know if he will. This has taken such a toll on his health, and on me. I am furious with Nutro and I am still trying to figure out what further action I can take to try and save other dogs from the problems that my poor dog has gone through. This has shaken my faith in the dog food industry.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our Yorkie has been sick for several days with vomiting and diarrhea. As I was searching for reasons why I came across the Nutro complaints of this dog food. In May, 2018, our little Shih Tzu passed away and we had no idea why, she was going on 13 years old. As I read the complaints on this website, I see others have experienced the same or similar events. She started coughing with a sound like trying to clear her throat. Within 2 days of the onset of that, she died. Nothing can ever replace our sweet little dog, she was so precious and special to our whole family.

I just want to warn others to be aware of this food. We used Nutro Petite Eats Wet Dog Food for them for about 2 years, but only in the last 2 months did they get sick on it. Perhaps something changed at the company; but I don't know. Please be very careful what you feed your little pets. If only I had read the reviews before we bought Nutro; it is my belief that our little sweetheart would still be here.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have Upc and exp dates, the puppy Nutro Max is killing my baby and making other one sick. My third dog is on a special diet and has no issues and he is 14. My pit currently has liver and kidney failure suddenly and had a clean bill of health one month ago. My other dog is normally hyper, has been vomiting and diarrhea. I pulled her off food and she got better. My pit has damage that is irreversible and he is dying. Please do not buy this product. From now on I will just make my own pet food, so upset at the money I spent to save my baby and it isn't doing any good because of bad food. PLEASE AVOID THIS FOOD!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I started my Lab mix on Nutro Grain Large Breed Grain Free dog food (Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Lentils recipe) 2 years ago. I fell in love with the product, and her digestion issues resolved. Something has definitely changed in the past 2 months. She stopped wanting to eat, became lethargic so much so that she didn't want to go on walks, and started experiencing foamy vomiting and diarrhea with blood in her stools. I noticed the air tight sealed bin that I store it in had bugs in it suddenly. PetSmart refunded me the food and said it was most likely a bad batch. I purchased the product again with full assumption that that was the case. Things seemed to get better for a week, but sure enough we were right back where we were by week 2.

Ironically I've just discovered these bugs again but they've spread to the floor. Every homeowners worst nightmare! Exterminator said they are grain mites that likely were brought in from the dog food or its packaging. They're cream colored, very hard to spot as they are the size of a grain of salt. Not sure if this is the cause or if it's a change in formula, but ironically our PetSmart had all recipes from the brand pulled from the shelves when I went in to purchase her Blue Buffalo. Hard to believe it's coincidental. Truly won't be shocked if they issue a recall soon, but either way I will never go back. Our dog's issues resolved immediately after switching to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: June 11, 2018

We switched our 8 month old Australian Shepherd puppy to Nutro dog food about a month ago. After about a week he started having really bad diarrhea. We woke up one morning to several accidents all around the house, and he had NEVER pooped in the house until then. He also began vomiting frequently. We took him to the vet and they gave us probiotics to put on his food and a prescription.

He quickly started feeling better so we figured he just had a tummy bug. Fast forward about 2 weeks later after he finished the prescription and priobiotics regimen he started having diarrhea and vomiting again. We started to be suspicious of the Nutro food. The vet gave us some more probiotics and a few more of the prescription pills and he started feeling better almost instantly. We switched his food back to that which he had been on since he started eating solid food, and we haven’t had any problems since. After reading some of these other reviews, I am suspicious that there has been a recent bad batch of this brand of food.

Original review: June 10, 2018

We have been feeding our 2 Scotties Nutro Lamb and rice formula since they were puppies. Something has happened to their formula. At first we thought it was because we changed to the "chicken" flavor but as it turns out that is not the case. Our dogs now suffer from diarrhea, throws up mucus, had blood in his stool. We just don't understand what has happened to their product. I am taking this dog food back to get a refund. BUT most importantly DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I will be calling the company regarding this matter.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Wholesome Essentials, Large Breed Adult: We've been giving our dogs Nutro for 6 years. Never have our 2 German shepherds been so ill like they have for the last month! I would take them off the dog food and let them fast for 24 hours with plenty of water. Then I give them boiled chicken, yams and rice. They would immediately do better with attitude, playful and solid stools. With the Nutro, diarrhea with blood and heavy mucus. I just bought 4 40lb. bags. They are going back to the store for a full refund. To include the bag that I just opened! What's up? Have they changed the formula, added some chemicals, this is NOT funny! Fortunately, my husband had the sense to check the web for any recalls or bad reports on this product. I am so disappointed to find so many recent bad reviews! Now I know why they are so sick, lethargic, and have severe diarrhea.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We have had our border collie on Nutro dog food since she was a puppy. Our dog is almost 9 years old and the last bag we bought she had diarrhea so bad that I had to throw out an expensive rug. We had her on the lamb and rice senior dog food. I stopped feeding her the Nutro immediately and cooked rice for her and gave her ** and started her gradually on new food and she is better. Apparently the formula has changed and it certainly is not for the better so be careful with this dog food. It's most unfortunate.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I fed Nutro Dog Food for years before the MARS corporation purchased it. I have since had problems on and off for years with my dog and never linked it to Nutro until recently. My dog was vomiting frothy mucus with blood after eating Nutro, was lethargic, and not himself. I put him on rice then rice and boiled chicken and all the symptoms went away until I started feeding the Nutro Dog Food again. After a few days of feeding the food he started vomiting frothy mucus with blood again. When I stop feeding Nutro and feed the rice the symptoms and all vomiting go away. I had no idea all these years the food I have trusted was making my dog sick. I have included an image of a sample of the bloody vomit that I have collected for the vet each time.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I was so glad to find a food that my dog could eat! She’s allergic to a lot of foods and she needs to be on a lower protein food because she has Struvite Crystals. I was so glad to find a lamb grain free limited ingredient food with only 20% protein for her. She does really well on this food!

Original review: May 12, 2018

My dog was switched to Nutro for small dogs earlier this year around mid December. He became increasingly ill in January though I did not identify it as the dog food right away. He seemed to lose his balance, urinated bright yellow in the house and his feces were increasingly bright yellow. When he began vomiting I took him to the vet who said it was bladder stones which were removed but he totally collapsed and refused Nutro food and became jaundiced. 5 days in ICU on other food and he recovered but with damaged liver and incontinence. Chihuahua got some of his food one week a while back and also immediately had the bright yellow feces. I took her off the food and became suspicious that the food poisoned my dog.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Just picked up a bag of Nutro small breed dry dog food (chicken) two days ago for my 7-year-old mutt. This dog can eat just about anything. Reason for the switch in food was a "free coupon" for a 5-lb bag of Nutro. Normally switching her over to new food is done carefully, blending her regular food slowly with the new. I did that two days back, then yesterday, and this morning. Came home to a major mess of 6 big puke splotches. I saw carrots in her puke, which I recall she ate on the 8th of May (today is the 10th). It was on the 8th in the evening when I started her on the Nutro. Could it be her body rejected something in the Nutro and wouldn't let it go down into her intestines? I don't care if I got a free bag of dog food, it isn't worth the life or health of my dog. Now she's sitting on the couch all balled up, it's as if her stomach hurts (?). Vet time.

Original review: May 7, 2018

We've had our 2 Cockapoos on Nutro since they were puppies, and they like it, they're staying healthy. There's too much dog food hype right now but I see no reason to experiment.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I bought Nutro Senior Chicken Dog Food Small Bites for my 12 year old Yorkshire Terrier. After feeding it 3 weeks she starting vomiting clear snotty looking gross stuff one day and was very restless. She eventually picked at her food and wouldn't finish it which she never does. This went on for a three days and I had given her stuff for her stomach but she was still acting very weird. I was ready to take her to the vet when I remembered I had just started feeding her this new dog food. I got online and saw many negative reviews about the Nutro Senior Lamb Dog Food and stopped feeding it to her immediately. I went back to my old brand and after one meal her eyes started to clear up and her smile came back. She is normally a very healthy old gal who loves to take walks and play with her squeaky toys. After one day she seemed like she felt so much better. She was showing signs of liver failure from this dog food but seems to be back to normal now.

I watch carefully about dog food recalls because many pet owners have lost their beloved pets to careless dog manufacturers who standards are sketchy. By all the negative reviews I have just seen this company and factory should be inspected from top to bottom. It sounds like foreign objects are getting into the food along with rat poop and possibly rat poison which causes liver failure. I just hope feeding this to her for 3 weeks hasn't left physical damage to her liver and overall health. I am very upset I trusted this brand and company thinking I was feeding my little girl healthy dog food only to have it make her very ill. If you love your dog stop feeding this crap. I believe this is a company doesn't care considering these bad reviews go back for a few years and it looks like nothing is being done. I hope Consumer Affairs will look into this!

Nutro Dog Food Company Information