2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food
Shop on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5
Based on 2,014 ratings

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

Nutro Dog Food Shop on Chewy

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Find your favorite pet products today

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

My dogs are finicky, they have food allergies to chicken and most other meats and they don't like sweet potatoes which a lot of foods have. And they eat this food (Nutro Wild Frontier) better than others I've tried. It was recommended by my vet for being good for food allergies. I also have looked at other food labels and this met all my criteria of having fish and potatoes, and not sweet potatoes or chick or other meats. I like that it is fish based and grain free. My only suggestion is to make this more age specific for puppies or older dogs.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management Dog Food is very natural and very healthy. Their foods have a lot of nutrients in it rather than just plain trash and unhealthy ingredients. This brand and product however can make it more healthier. I would choose Nutro Dog Food over other brands because they meet the healthy expectations that I wanted for my dog. This is the best healthy brand yet.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I initially purchased Nutro Original Formula because my neighbor gave me coupon. We tried and Chuck liked it so I continued to purchase it. It's supposed to be nutritious for a dog his age and as long as he's satisfied I'm happy. However, it smells horrible and that is really the only thing I would change if I could.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Nutro Max is healthy, contains no by-products, corn, wheat, soy or artificial ingredients. It comes in a variety of flavors. It is available at the major pet stores and comes in a variety of sizes, so it is easy to get. I am pretty much satisfied with everything. It is a little bit on the expensive side, but I am willing to pay more for a better quality product, especially if it concerns nutrition. The breeder I got the puppies from had them started on this brand and he recommended it because of the healthy ingredients. It did meet my original expectations.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I purchased Nutro Lite & Weight Management due to the price. We are always looking for the cheaper alternative. We also switch brands for variety, we need to switch it up to make sure the pups eat. It was colorful and my dogs seemed to really like it. It seemed flavorful. But maybe improve the packaging to make it look more appealing.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Nice packaging. Emphasis is the key ingredients in the dog food. Semi-moist dog food that isn't hard to swallow or on their teeth and doesn't contain a lot of filler products so it fills my dog's appetite. I choose to purchase Nutro Original Formula because on other brands my dog was always acting hungry after eating. I wanted something with a lot of meat to keep him full for a period of time. However, I think that the dog food is expensive for a small bag. I could buy a bigger cheaper brand on the same shelf and that the bigger bags make it harder to carry out of the store and at home.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Nutro High Endurance Dog Food meets the requirements my dog needs. It helps my dog with all kinds of ailments and it is a good thing for my dog to have. It gives my dog the vitamins it needs everyday and proper nutrition. This brand is the best and I like it very much and it would be good for my dog because fillers are a big no no. I need my dog to have real food and vitamins to survive in this world because it is necessary nowadays to get the right food for your dog.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Through my husband, who has had numerous German Shepherd dogs through the years, both before and with me, I have found Nutro to be a very beneficial food to give to my dogs. They thrive on the food from Nutro and I am always happy to give it to them/her. I like that the ingredients of the original formula are basically simple and healthy for my pet dog. I don't have to worry about other added ingredients that cheapen the dog food. My pet is eating on a daily basis. They could improve the dog food by maybe adding other bits of healthy food in with the pellets/food stuffs. I know that my dog loves little bits of something extra. Especially in the past when we had her on other food she like the distinction between the pellets and other bits that were in there.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

The packaging caught my eye so I did some research on it and sounded like a great product for my dogs and so far I love it. It helped that it is made of 100% whole grains and natural fruits and vegetables. I like that it contains 5 real fruits and veggies. It has 100% whole grain for healthy digestions and helps with my dog's coat. Best of all, my dogs love it. There is nothing that I dislike about this dog food but it would be awesome if the price was a little bit less. But I understand why and totally worth it. It'll be cool if they made some portable products.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I chose to purchase Nutro Dog Food because of the natural ingredients and also a recommendation from a friend. I like the chicken flavor, and the beef flavor, because my dog seems to love those among all the flavors. I also like that it is high in protein, nutritious for my dog, and how easy it is to prepare. As long as my dog loves it, I have no issues with it. I will continue to purchase it so long as it remains of good value.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Farm's Harvest was recommended by many of my dog owning friends. My dogs like it and it has the nutrients they both need and is reasonably priced. It also does not give them gas. I'm not a dog food expert but I picked a good food for them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

My dog likes Nutro Dog Food and as long he is healthy, I will continue to this brand as well as others. They had good reviews and had no complaints from anyone. It's wholesome and nutritious and has great ingredients that are identifiable and good. I love everything about this brand. It's great the way it is now and I am a buyer for life, but I would like to see more flavor variety.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Nutro dog food was recommended to me by a friend who uses it and after reading the ingredients of the dog food I was currently using I decided my dogs deserved something better. I like Wild Frontier Nutro Dog Food because it's good for my dogs. They also have a variety of different flavors to choose from which means I can switch it up a bit for them. It's healthy, inexpensive and sold where I normally shop. And most importantly, my two dogs love it.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

After I mentioned that I worried about my German Shepherd gaining weight as he entered his senior years, my co-worker recommended Nutro Lite & Weight Management. So far, it has met my initial expectations. His weight is under control. He has not gained weight on it, which is good because he's starting to get old. Also, my dog can be very picky about his kibble but he seems to enjoy the flavor. I think the price should be lowered a few dollars but the dog food is actually pretty decent.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I am tired of all the bad publicity. Nutro Dog Food provided the best nutrition for my dog. It does not give him gas, and the price was always reasonable. My dog Max loves Max by Nutro chicken flavor. I have never been disappointed with it. I know it improved the health of my dog over a period of 5 years. He loves the chicken flavor. I also like Greenies by Nutro. Max always had good breath. I am very saddened though that I cannot buy Nutro products locally. I would like to buy them at Menards again.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I like that Nutro Original Formula uses the highest quality of natural ingredients and it contains important vitamins and nutrients to support my dogs health. I also like that they have a variety of flavors to choose from. Nutro can be more expensive than other brands but I rather buy a brand my dog likes than a cheaper brand that he will snub. My dog is a picky eater, however, tends to prefer this brand over other brands. I would like to see new varieties to choose from though. My dog seems to snub the same ones after awhile.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Nutro High Endurance fills my dogs up more than any other brands and my dogs doesn't have a reaction to it. They have protein allergies and Nutro offers proteins they can have. It's a good food for my picky dogs that seems to be allergic to everything. It also has a wide variety of flavors they enjoy so they don't get bored with one flavor. However, it's harder to find and I have to drive at least 20 miles to a pet store to buy it and sometimes that's not practical. It would be easy if they at least offered free shipping.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I like that the Nutro Original Formula is healthy and somewhat a gourmet meal for my dogs. I can feel good about giving them this. They always seem to enjoy it and I will continue to purchase as it does have great benefits for them at a good price. It isn't too expensive but still very high quality and an overall great product. It could always be improved as far as for digestion and health.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I chose to purchase Nutro Dog Food based on reviews from friends who also use them. I bought a small bag to allow my dogs to try it and they love it. I like that the food uses real ingredients and not fillers, and the makers use natural ingredients. It is a premium, high end dog food and I like that my dogs also like it. However, I would lower the price somewhat because it is a great dog food but it is quite expensive especially if you feed it to more than one dog. Although it is a natural dog food it surely doesn't have to cost so much to purchase.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Nutro is a natural dog food that is extremely healthy for my two dogs. It is for all stages of my dogs' life. With all the nutritional value of this food and knowing that it is all natural, I do not have to be concerned that I'm giving my girls food that would harm them and I can rest extremely easy knowing that they truly are getting only the very best. This food supplies one hundred percent of their daily food nutrients and it helps their coats to shine and keep full of energy. I absolutely love that my dogs love this food as well. I wanted to make sure that I was only feeding my dogs what is good for them. My dogs are like my children and I want to only give them the very best.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I use Lamb/Rice small bites for adult dogs. Both dogs, retrievers, love this food and the small bites require them to eat slower. They have diminished dental plaque and shiny coats. Adding a little water makes a nice gravy for them and extra hydration. I have had no problem with gas or bad breath with my dogs. Follow the feeding schedule recommended and you will have a desired weight for your dog. Mine are slim and active. Sometimes the small bites type for adult dogs is harder to find. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

My veterinarian recommended I try it for my senior dog since she underwent surgery and needed a lot of vitamins. They gave me a buy 1 get one free deal at the office. Nutro Farm's Harvest Dog Food provides a all in one healthy diet. My dogs really enjoy it although it is more costly than other brands available and I can never find coupons available. They should have sealable bags in many sizes. Also maybe tubs too? Small bite and also moist bites would be many more flavors too since I have a senior dog and a new puppy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Nutro Wild Frontier is closer to nature than a lot of other brands I looked at. The cost was cheaper with higher concentrations of minerals and vitamins, plus the protein than the other brands without fillers or by products. I looked at the ingredients on the bag and I was sold because it included everything I think should be in a dog food that I feed to my Lady. I expected my Lady to snub the food but she really liked it which surprised me.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

Nutro Grain Free Dog Food comes in a size of bag that I need at a reasonable price. I also had a coupon for my first purchase. However, they should have different flavors, organic options and a wet variety available. Other than that, my dogs enjoy the kibble size and the taste. Also, it's important that it's grain-free and has no fillers in it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I like it’s healthy and all natural. I read too much on dog food out there and this is one that doesn't have negative reviews. I think it met my initial expectations since I didn't have the bar raised high so it didn't disappoint at all. I'm happy we tried and so are my dogs. I feel safe feeding my dogs this Wild Frontier dog food. I can find it at local stores which makes it convenient as well. I would like to see soft morsels in the mix. I do mix some hamburger or chicken in her food to help her out. Makes it easier for her to eat. My small dogs does better with chewy pieces better than the hard ones.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I have fed my Labrador Retrievers Nutro for over 20 years. I fed my large Lab Nutro lite but he didn't care for it so I started feeding all of my Labs Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal and Rice. My oldest male lab currently 4 years old started vomiting yellowish green bile. I thought he may be eating something outside that was causing it because it only happened about once a week. This dog also seemed really lazy and just laid around. I changed his food to Fromm weight control and he no longer vomits the bile and has a lot more energy. He goes for 1/2 mile walks and does 1/2 mile on the treadmill. This dog did not have the energy to do anything while eating Nutro. I also have a 7 month old Lab puppy and he refused to eat the Nutro large breed puppy food. I used to consider Nutro to be a quality food but it is not the same as it used to be. Mars The parent company for Nutro must have changed their recipe. Mars owns several dog food companies.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I switch my dog on this brand three weeks ago and now he is dead after use (Nutro grain free dog food). It was recommend by the pet company as a safe brand. I will miss my Kilo after 10 years and it took three weeks with your dog food. After looking at all the reviews why is this stuff still being sold.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

My dog had a very sensitive stomach and we finally found a food that seemed to treat her well. We bought about 5 or 6 different formulas of Nutro natural before we found one that didn't make her throw up. My lab did live what I consider to be a long life of 12 years. We just had to put her down 3 days ago. I thought it was normal. However this is where I started to question her becoming sick with cancer.

2 months ago my sister's dog (retriever) who was 2 months older than mine had a very sudden stroke. As it turns out she was riddled with bone cancer and a piece broke off and went to her brain. She had to be put down. My dog and my sister's dog both ate this brand of dog food. I feel it can't be a coincidence that 2 dogs who did not live together died at the exact same age both of cancer after eating the same brand of food for most of their lives. I would like for there to be some studies done into this company's food. For most of us our pets are family members and to watch them die painful deaths of cancer is heartbreaking. The only common denominator between my dog and my sisters was the food.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

Please do not brush this review off to the side. You will be thankful, and it will save you expensive vet bills. It might be lengthy but the stress this brand has caused my wife, dogs, and I is unbelievable. I'm just glad our dog and puppy are still alive! My wife and I purchased a large bag of the Nutro Ultra Large breed puppy food on Nov. 21st 2016. We did extensive research on the brand and it seemed to be a well respected and trusted brand. We were fairly happy with the ingredients listed and figured we would give it a go. We started incorporating the food slowly into our 1 yr old dog's diet. We noticed that she started becoming a little lethargic. Once we switched her over completely (we assumed she was fine, really dumb I know) she began vomiting and had diarrhea. She began sleeping way more than normal and we became very worried.

One night when I was playing with her I noticed her eye looked a little puffy. Then after 10 minutes the other eye did. We called our vet and we were told to give her **. Initially it stopped the swelling, but then she started vomiting again. We woke up at 3 am because she (luckily walked on us to wake us up). My wife flipped on the lights and my dog's face was COMPLETELY swollen! Her breathing was now labored. We left and took her to the animal hospital that night so that they could control her swelling. We took her off the food, and her poop went back to normal and she has not thrown up even once. The vet said that it was probably a spider bite or a sting of some kind, but this perplexed him because it is the winter time. So we kept the $40 dollar bag of food we bought for storage, and began making her meals to ensure that she would be okay.

Fast forward to Dec. 30th. We bought my dream dog! Purebred German Shepherd with health guarantees from a reputable breeder, and champion bloodlines. Once we returned home from our long drive from picking him up, my wife gave him some Nutro Ultra (we figured at this point our other dog was either stung like the vet said, or that she had a specific allergy). The poor little guy began having diarrhea around 12 am that night, and spent most of the night vomiting. I set up an early vet appointment and we set out to see what was wrong. While waiting for our appointment I decided to see if anyone else was having problems. Lo and behold! TONS of reviews of similar, if not identical symptoms! The vet tested my dogs for parvo (which came back negative), and then said that it was likely the food that was responsible. All in all vet bills totally around $300 to ensure the health and safety of our dogs.

I see these reviews, and a lot of them are from the past few months. Yet, no recall yet? Really? Avoid this brand of dog food. Do your research, or if you have the time make the food yourself. It's not worth the risk to see your puppies suffer because you want to give this food a try. I beg you! If I could give this product 0 stars I would. I will be contacting the manufacturer to let them know that their product shouldn't be sold. Period. I hope they have some more information as to why this is happening!

We bought our food from Chewy.com and they said that they would also begin researching this issue, and get back to us about this. Side note: Chewy seemed genuinely concerned, and I would still recommend them to anyone. Sorry for the long winded review. You want a happy healthy dog? Look elsewhere, because if you buy this food, you will have some expensive vet bills coming your way. Possibly even a dying dog on your hands. Do not put yourself through it.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

My dog has just switched over to Nutro from Science Diet (it was recommended to me at PetSmart by an employee) and everything went fine with the first bag. The first bag was the small bites. His poop was a little lighter than normal but I figured it was due to the lighter color of the food. The second bag he is on now (bought a few days after Thanksgiving in Lafayette, Louisiana) which is not the small bites has caused terrible vomiting and diarrhea multiple times a day. I thought it was some kind of stomach bug but after reading the other reviews I am sure it is this food. DO NOT LET YOUR PET SUFFER FROM THIS FOOD!!! My poor baby.:(

Nutro Dog Food Company Information