Nutro Dog Food
2.01/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

While this food may be good for your dog the packet I bought for my dog contains pellets that are ROCK hard and even after one hour in water remained in the same way. In the end hot water and oil softened them. How they can be digested otherwise is beyond me. If possible avoid giving this food to your dog as it will block up their colon and could lead to serious digestion problems.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

Like other reviewers, I switched both my dogs over to Nutro Lamb & Rice (since it was on sale). Both dogs became ill nearly immediately. My Boston Terrier developed red eyes (with thick discharge), was very lethargic and began urinating uncontrollably throughout the house - which is completely out of character. In addition his fur became dull and began to fall out. My other dog, a Boston Terrier/Pug Mix began vomiting yellow foamy bile multiple times a day and was also extremely lethargic. Her eyes became bloodshot as well. This continued for almost a week before I realized that the food may be the culprit. I switched them back to their old food (Whole Earth Farms) and within a day they both regained energy. Their skin, fur and eyes looked significantly better and there were no more vomiting or urination issues. I'm confident, especially based on other similar accounts, that the food was to blame. Consumer beware.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2016

This dog food was SEVERELY constipating for my little chihuahua. I tried everything to make it better. Gave her wet food in the morning and the dry food at night. Added digestive supplement with sweet potatoes and ginger. But nothing helped. When I walked her and picked up after her, her stools were the color and texture of concrete! I bought it this food because it advertised having fruits and vegetables in it. But they are in separate pieces. Unfortunately, my dog picked them out and would not eat them. Finally just returned the remainder of the bag to the store. I will NOT be buying Nutro again!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

As other reviewers, our poodle mix didn't do too well with the switch in the dog food. She started vomiting and urinating uncontrollably about 5 days after the switch. We have switched back to Purina.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

My wife and I just switched our toy poodles to Nutro because it was slightly less expensive than what we were feeding them (but it's certainly not cheap). Both dogs have been extremely healthy with no health problems. Within 5 days of our 9 year old starting on Nutro Senior dry dog food, he is vomiting repeatedly and has uncontrolled and bloody urination. The only thing that changed was this food and I looked and found MANY similar (and worse) complaints from dog owners. We thought this was a higher end brand but are now extremely concerned for our poor dog (the other dog is 5 and has been eating the Nutro Lite without any problems yet). We are returning this defective product immediately and ask that you at least research customer complaints on this brand who we thought we could trust... Never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

My dog is flourishing on Nutro. I mix it with warm broth and anything else that I have left over. He also eats it mixed with tuna in water. He's a Tibetan Terrier and eats the small breed type which is not easily available.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I do not currently have dogs but when I did Nutro was the one food that was affordable and did not have a lot of junk in it. The dogs loved it and that was part of why I bought it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Nutro has been the highest quality product for dog nutrition consistently in my experience. I pet sit and would recommend it to my clients for their dogs.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

We use Nutro Natural Choice GRAIN FREE Venison and Chickpea for our pure bred German Shepherd. She has been on this dog food for over a year (previously we used Nutro Natural Choice GRAIN FREE Venison and Potato), which she was on for the previous 2 years. Her stools are good and she is happy to eat up everything.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

This brand was recommended by the trainer of my Service Dog, Paris. She maintains a good weight, has plenty of energy and loves the taste. I also use it for training.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

My dachshunds have very sensitive digestive systems. They like dry food, but eat very fast, and would end up vomiting whole pieces within minutes of eating. I switched to Nutro Max for sensitive systems. No more vomiting, shiny coats, and no dandruff. Nutro makes a quality product for a decent price.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

I feed my doggies Nutro Lite kibble Rice and Lamb formula. They love it. I give them about 1/3 cup kibble in the morning with a couple of chunks of pineapple (prevents them from eating their own poop!) and with Nature's Valley chicken nuggets raw frozen food at night... one nugget each.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I have a five year old mixed breed (Shih-Tzu and Terrier). I adopted him when he was just 5 weeks old; a rescue dog from a humane shelter. When I went to Petsmart to buy food for him for the first time, a Nutro Rep was there. He talked to me about the food I had planned to buy and pointed out the differences between that brand and Nutro. I decided to try it and have bought nothing else since. My dog has never been ill and I attribute that to a good, balanced diet. I plan to stay with Nutro for his lifetime.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

My dog will eat wet food better than dry so I found Nutro at my local pet store and he's been eating for several years and he seems to really like it. I have no complaints.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

Chase was allergic to Purina and was itching all the time. Vet said nothing is wrong -"Dogs just scratch, it's normal." Well turns out the pet store owner was more helpful. Recommended Nutro, we've never looked back. No itching and scratching. We've tried both Nutro and Nutro Max, both worked great. I got another dog 2 years ago. Put her on Nutro, no problems with the food. I felt compelled to share a positive story amongst all the negativity.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

It is very difficult to find dog food that isn't mostly corn/grain-based. Even the 'premium' name brands seem to have garbage ingredients unless you can find a particular variant that is in line with a dog's natural diet.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

When Karma was still a pup (Karma comes from World Class Champions, German Shepherd), I was feeding her Nutro, canned turkey and gravy mixed with Nutro Dry Turkey and Gravy. She became very ill and almost died. I was feeding Karma poison and did not know it. The Chinese make Nutro Dog Food and most other pet foods. Lucky for Karma and me, the recall came before it killed her. Karma has been eating raw chicken and beef with chicken cooked in brown rice. She is now the picture of perfect health. There is not enough money in the world to buy Karma. Karma will never eat dog food again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

The dog likes Nutro Pet Foods and does not upset his stomach (lamb and rice variety). Price is good but would also prefer better ingredients. Haven't noticed anything different with his coat.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Nutro was the absolute worst food that I have ever given an animal. When my dog was on this food he had severe stomach problems to the point that he was throwing up bile. He was only eating the food for less than a month when this happened. When we finally settled his stomach down and started him on different food (Royal Canin Golden Ret.) and he did not have any of these problems. It has been almost 4 years since this episode and we have never had a repeat of this kind of stomach problem with him since switching foods.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I bought my first bag of Nutro recently based on the recommendation of an employee at my local chain pet store. My poor dog has been ridiculously sick for weeks. We've been to the vet 2 times and on 2 rounds of antibiotics for him to still be throwing up and losing weight and without energy. It finally occurred to me to start checking blogs. I read many similar stories to mine posted by owners feeding their dogs Nutro.

I went back to the store to let them know that there was something wrong with the food and to ask if they were letting their customers know. The gentleman behind the counter let me know that there had been several returns but that they weren't in a position to do anything unless a recall was ordered by Nutro. I asked to speak with the manager who quickly dismissed my concerns and information stating that he feeds HIS dogs Nutro & they're fine. The most they could do was give me store credit. So to the Internet, I'm letting everyone I know to be very cautious and watch carefully for signs related to this food. One of the reviews I read was a woman describing the death of her dog. Spread the word! They won't. Never again Nutro.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

We have used Nutro for our adult male Mastiff 10 years and for our Shih tzu 7 years. I am not unhappy with the product. My dogs seem to like the food and they do not suffer from loose stools or any other issues as I can tell. As we do not try other foods I can only give simple specifics and since my dog cannot communicate other than to simply eat the food, I really feel as this is somewhat of a biased review. The thing I can say is that they eat it when I feed them and they do seem to enjoy their meals.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2015

I wish I'd seen these reviews sooner! I recently changed my Chihuahua to Nutro Weight Management. A few days later, he became lethargic, started panting and running outside to eat grass. He threw up foamy bile. I rushed him to the vet and they said his liver was enlarged and his sugar level was high. They did blood work and it came back unreadable and had to be sent off to a special lab to be read.

The vet bill was over 800.00 and they couldn't give me an answer on what it could be. I didn't think it was his food. Fast forward to a few weeks later and he seemed ok but he was still eating the food and was going outside occasionally to eat grass. He throws up about 2x a week and it's foamy. Ugh how did I not think it was the food?!?! Tossed this food in the trash and putting him back on Fromm. I should of never changed his food in the first place!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

Nutro natural is the best dog food for my dog. He has skin allergies, but doesn't itch when I feed him the fish and potato variety. He seems to really like it and eats it all right away. I like that the food is natural with no grain or corn. I think that has a lot to do with my dog not itching.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Used Blue Buffalo until they had a recall. Chose Nutro to replace Blue Buffalo. Nutro is the same high quality and cost is less. No reason to switch back to Blue Buffalo.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

After initially eating a serving of the Nutro Senior food, my dog has not been eating (he smelled the food and walked away) for 2 days. Last evening he ate about half a serving, and I just woke up to port-wine colored urine and diarrhea in the living room. Then I did some research and found over 1,000 consumer complaints of the SAME symptoms with this food!!! I don't have the bag saved or I'd be contacting the company!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

We started using Nutro Sensitive Skin and Stomach a few years ago and it cleared up all our dog's itchy skin problems. This summer they returned with a vengeance. Turns out the formula has changed. Why would they do that?! So upset that now we have to begin the process of finding another dog food.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

My dogs love Nutro dry and wet foods. I have two small dogs so I use the dry food for adult small breeds and mix it with a bit of their wet food. I've tried both the wet food trays and cans. Recently I've been solely using the cans since they have more food in them. They really enjoy the steamed seasonal fish with sweet potato and anything made with chicken. I also buy their treats for my dogs' evening snack. And it's all natural and healthy for them at an affordable price.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2015

Our dog (chow/shepherd mix) really loves the Nutro Lamb and Rice Small Bites. She turns her nose up whenever we try something else. Every vet check-up goes well and she's had not issues. Good weight and at 11 years old, she still plays like a pup.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2015

I work at a pet store and Nutro has been trying to boost their brand, so they had given us vouchers for free Nutro. I have 4 dogs so anything helps! I first got the lamb and rice small bites and my dogs didn't like it, which is odd because they eat literally anything. The next bag I got was the farm harvest. Half way through the bag now, one of my dogs began panting uncontrollably, shivering, staring at the ceiling, drooling and had a fever. The vet said she was in pre-seizure and could go into one at any time. This is the 3rd case I know of just with coworkers! A Week ago another girl's dog seized after starting the farm harvest. A few weeks prior to that another dog seized so badly that it died, and this is just after switching to Nutro. Coincidence? I have no hard evidence to say it's the Nutro, but that's the only commonality and it's just too odd that 3 dogs with no history of seizures all had issues after being put on Nutro.

Updated on 10/28/2015: After my dog nearly seized on Nutro, I had the Nutro rep in my area stop out to speak with me. He requested a food sample, so I brought one. Upon his arrival, he had a very rude attitude and told me 100 times it wasn't the food making my dog sick. He then claimed every batch is tested before it even makes it into bags or to the shelf, so they already know the food I bought is fine. I asked him, "then you don't need my food sample?" to which he stated, "well they may take a look at it." A few days later he brought my food back stating I needed to call the 1-800 number and file a complaint, and that they refused to check the food as I may have tampered with it. Really people? Regardless, Nutro has VOLUNTARILY DISCONTINUED the Farms harvest, which made my dog sick. You won't find a recall, as this is "voluntary". Very shady brand and rude employees.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2015

I have been a dog food rep for another company for 4 years. I worked beside a lovely Nutro rep those years!! After doing research, if my families couldn't afford my brand, I turned them over to Nutro. Last night I reviewed a call from my sister in law. Their lil doxie almost died from the recent lamb & rice. Like others stated, it looked different. It damn near killed lil Coco!! After every test was run, the vet cut her open, they immediately took her off Nutro!! Their bill is over $10,000... I told them to get an attorney. She asked me to read these statements. OMG, and no recall!!! Nutro, wake up. You've already killed some dogs, just grateful it wasn't mine!! Stand up and take responsibility. Trying to save money, changing your formulation is KILLING OUR BELOVED PETS!!!

Nutro Dog Food Company Information