2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

My dog is small so he loves the little pieces that this brand offers. I like that Nutro Natural Choice is grain-free and more healthy and natural. We would definitely use it for any other animal we get. Even the bag is resealable which is a big plus. It took us so long to find a brand and perfect size he enjoyed and good for him. I initially bought it because we tried a few brands and he was very picky. We love it for our dog.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

My Chihuahua was rescued from a shelter. She was shedding a lot, I changed her food to Nutro Toy Breed Adult. It is small kibble and fits her mouth. Since she is now about 6 pounds +/- , I feed according to their guidelines. She now has minimal shed, & the vets say she is healthy. To be honest, she also gets treats & small bits of scrambled eggs & some boiled hamburger or boiled chicken at breakfast.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

As my dog gets older I have discovered how important grain-free dog food is and I have tried other higher-end dog foods but my dog seems to prefer the texture and flavor offered by Nutro Dog Food. I found a site thru Google which does comparisons on all available dry dog foods. The dog foods are evaluated based on content, percentage of protein and if it has filler or not and Nutro was given a very high rating.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Nutro Original Formula has natural ingredients and great reviews on different sites. Also recommended by others I know and the vet as well. This lead me to believe this is the brand for me to continue purchasing. Very happy with my purchase and decision to switch. Price is a little much but the quality outweighs the price. I care about my dogs overall health first. As long as they are getting the benefits they need and essential ingredients I am happy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I was intrigued by the packaging of the Nutro grain free dog food and the health claims for the product. I wanted to switch my dogs to a healthier product that didn't have several recalls. However my dogs were uninterested in it. I also disliked the dog food due to cost. It was very pricey compared to other choices and my dogs did not want to eat it. I would improve the overall taste of the food without losing the health aspect. I would not purchase the food again unless the taste factor changed but I would be willing to try again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I initially chose this brand because it looked extremely appealing in the ads placed around the store. I also saw a television advertisement that made me feel this way about Nutro dog food. Like the texture and ingredients, this product has a great consistency and my dog seems to enjoy it the most of all the brands I have purchased thus far. It has way more positives than other brands of dog foods that are available in stores.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I buy the Nutro dog food original formula because it’s got hormone-free, also with natural ingredients and my dogs love the taste. Love the way my dogs chew with this passion. I think they thank me for this product being at my home. Improve the bag. It’s so heavy and seems to be wimpy and if I go to the supermarket or any other store like a pet store and get rain the bag seems to break and the product to fail in its taste, so it will need another type of bag. The meat needs to be more ground since my dog also choke several times. The price is excellent. Also the food convinced me it’s the best for my dog and I always gets the best products for my pets. The vegetables and meat union are one of the best and I know the Nutro dog brand is recommended by veterinarian.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

It came highly recommended to me by a friend of mine who feed it to her dog. I liked the reviews and reading the label made me comfortable trying Lite & Weight Management. It is lower in fat than other foods, good for my overweight dog who needs to lose a few pounds. He really likes the taste and I have seen good results.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is healthy for my dog and it is supposed to give him energy to run and play. It has been great for him so far and he loves the taste so that's even better. I love that it is healthy for my dog. I especially like that it is made with all natural ingredients to give my dog strength and energy. He is a part of our family and we want what is best for him. I dislike the fact that there aren't many flavors to choose from in the high endurance line. I want there to be a large variety of flavors, but I guess I can just choose a different line of product.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I chose this brand because it is the best bang for my buck and normally I have a coupon to get the dog food, but I also trust feeding this to my dog. I like that it is better for my dog in general, there are no mystery ingredients and I know what I am feeding my dog is healthy. I wish they would make all the dog food one color and not a bunch of different colors. That makes me feel that it's part artificial and not full of crap like most other stuff that's in food for dogs... but really the best food for animals is human food. That way I know exactly what is going into my pet's mouth and not wondering.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I had a lot of issues with vomiting and bad bowel movements with the cheaper foods. We needed something that was healthier and that didn't go right through her. She was so skinny no matter how much she ate before and now she is healthy and full of muscle. All of my expectations have been met with Nutro High Endurance and beyond. I like that it is for dogs that are on the go a lot. The natural ingredients and the choices of flavors are great too. We never have problems with vomiting like we do with some other dog foods. It's a little expensive in comparison but you get what you pay for and I would rather pay more for a food that is good for her.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Nutro brand came highly recommended to me from several dog owners I have encountered. They spoke highly of the quality, but equally important was that their dogs actually ate the food and never had any stomach upsets or adverse reactions to it. I love that the product contains real vegetables from a farm. The nutrients and oils contained in this product are high quality and I feel very confident feeding my dog this. Whole grains are excellent for the digestion, and the meat added the flavor my dog looks for. I use the dry food, and sometimes my dog has trouble chewing it. The pieces are quite crunchy, I usually have to soak them with a bit of water to help soften them up for her. I would maybe suggest a more chewy version of the kibble.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

My dogs love Nutro and always finish every scrap, and always seem to appreciate it more than the other dry foods in my 'rotation'. I buy the food (original formula) twice as often as any other brand, but my initial purchase was just to try it. I always rotate brands but seem to come back to Nutro more often than others. Keeps my quadruped friends healthy and happy! However, it might be nice to vary the size of the kibble in each bag, but not the color, as only humans could tell about that.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

The High Protein-Grain Free dog food has met my initial expectations and is slightly better. I chose it partly for the ingredients and partly for the price, and I am satisfied overall that it's not harmful to my dog. It smells good, it has high protein, no grains which can be harmful to my dog like corn and there are lots of good nutrients included. However, I don't like the artificial colors, even the natural looking colors like dark brown or reddish, and I wish it came in more meaty flavors.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I read reviews that this was a very good food to feed your dog and it came in a big bag specific for large breed dogs. There is nothing that I really disliked except that you have to go to certain stores to buy it since it is not available everywhere. The price was pretty good. I was very happy with it until the price raised to the point I didn't purchase it anymore. I would buy ultra large breed again if the price went down.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Wild Frontier - The person I bought my dog from had started him on Nutro Dog Food so I continued that. My dog liked Nutro and it had good solid ingredients in it. They had many flavors to try which was nice since I could buy a couple different bags and split them for each bowl so my dog enjoyed it even more. However, it still was not as healthy as many other alternatives for my dog especially so I ended up switching. I want the best for my dog to make sure he remains healthy and lives a long, good life. I would improve on having all natural ingredients and making more of a high-quality line.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I like the overall quality of the NUTRO High Protein Grain Free Dog Food. It is high in nutrients and my dog seems to love it and thinks it tastes really good. It's really not that expensive either. Good value. I think that it is perfect just the way that it is. Don't change anything. It surpasses a lot of other name brands on the market today in terms of taste and overall quality and definitely combines all of that at the best price.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has no grain, meat is the key ingredient. It's supposed to be a more natural choice and easier to digest. However, it doesn't smell very good, actually it smells rather stale and moldy. I've bought 5 bags and they all smell funny, and my dog isn't very fond of it. But, my dog's digestion does seem better, though I don't think I will buy more. So I'm currently looking at other options.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Wild Frontier - The benefits that come with the product to improve the animal's health and maintain their longevity. That you can also for the most part find food tailored to meet your dog's health needs. Offering snack treats as well as making it affordable to purchase so anyone can afford to purchase this product for their dogs. Also maybe including it in some of the chew toys as a flavor option that they dogs would enjoy. Our pets seem to enjoy the flavor options that are offered and we also had found a discount so we could afford to purchase this brand of pet food for our dogs. As we are a low-income family anytime we can get nutritious food for our pets at a good price.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

PetSmart recommended Nutro Dog Food for us 9 Lb dog. He started having seizures and screaming in pain. He also was drinking a lot of water. Took him to the vet and had $300 worth of blood tests done. Nothing showed up. Took him off the Nutro dog food and put him back on chicken and he is fine!!! This dog food almost killed our dog. Why is it still on the shelves??

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

My dog is fairly picky about dry food, and he actually would finish his dish of Nutro over the course of the day. Typically, if he doesn't like it, he just ignores it. The ingredients looked reasonably healthy and it was 'formulated' for small breeds, like my Pomeranian.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

My dog needs weight management for health and Nutro Lite & Weight Management provides everything I need to keep my dog in a healthy weight class. The reason I choose this food is less fillers and digested better for my dog. Also a better quality product. A lot of breeders and such that I know highly recommend Nutro dog food for healthy dogs and maintaining weight. They have used it for a lot of other reasons.

Nutro has a wide range of products, but they could include more meat types for my other dogs not on a diet at this time. Also they could lower the price a bit to make it more affordable for everyone. It's a great food, just out of range for a lot of folks maybe on a lesser budget than I am. I think more folks would buy this if just a little cheaper.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Nutro has all the basic ingredients your dog needs and not high priced. They make a good quality food that makes dogs and their owners happy. It is not full of fillers and the quality of ingredients is very good. They use real meat and real veggies. It's not full of grain or other byproducts. You can see how happy your dog is after you feed them Nutro. They run and play with lots of energy. I would like to see more meat and veggies. Dogs need more of these items to act like they're in the wild and they need certain foods to help their coat and skin stay healthy. That's the thing most dog foods don't have.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I chose to follow my dog's vet's recommendation to use Nutro brand food to best meet my dog's nutritional needs due to some medical issues we are working thru to improve his health and are meeting those needs successfully with it. I wanted to offer my dog the best possible nutrition to ensure he stays healthy thru his whole life. But I like to rotate the grain free offerings and I wish the fish and potato was offered in the dry formula so I could offer it to my dog more often as he prefers a dry food most.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Pet owners are looking for healthy option for themselves and their pets and we want companies to listen to us. I chose Nutro High Endurance, because I wasn't always a fan of the food but now with them looking out for the pet and pet owner (as far as what they want), it's nice to know that they listen. I like that they're starting to supply the pet owner with "healthier" versions of their brand of food (ie. grain free, organic, real meat). But I would want even more varieties and flavors of food for my pets, along with styles (ie. chunky, puree, vegetables, etc.).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Since our dog is very picky with her food, I'm always looking for variety of food that she can try. I've read good reviews online about this Nutro Dog Food, so I decided to purchase the original formula. And good enough my dog liked this food. There were other brands that I tried on her that gave her soft stool, but with Nutro she did not have any problems. So I believe Nutro is keeping her healthy. What I like about the it is that it uses real chicken and has natural ingredients. I also like it is formulated especially with DHA which is essential for a healthy growth.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I like the size of the kibble. My dog tried a sample and liked it, so I bought the Original Formula. Flavor variety is good along with the size of the bag. I also read online reviews, and they were very positive. So now I am more educated and feel good about feeding it to my dog. I like there's a grain free option too. People have said that their pets are less gassy and have fewer digestive issues.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

My dogs love the taste and it helps keep their weight manageable. They are both Beagles and tend to overeat if allowed. They would never refuse any type of food or treat. The size of the dry food is just right for my dogs. A rep was giving out free samples and coupons at a Petco store. I talked with her about my dogs being overweight and she suggested trying Nutro's Lite & Weight Management food. I bought a bag that day and have not changed since.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

A representative in the store recommended Nutro. I read the package and it was an easy to read package so you could see the percentages of ingredients. It seemed to have quality ingredients although it was not grain free. It was healthy and seemed to have a good percentage of meat. It came in several flavors. My dog liked it and was easy for him to eat. The kibble was a good size, not too large. I like kibble to be very healthy. However, the store sometime didn't have enough package sizes and I couldn't always find the larger packages.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is natural and organic, uses real chicken and has no by-products. I like real food for my dogs and nothing artificial and I don't really like my dogs eating too much cow meat or pork. It has somewhat met my expectations because it's good quality food for my dogs. However, I have big dogs and the bits of the dog food is small for them so the food will run out fast and it's also expensive.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information