2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

High Endurance - I was in the market to research a new and improved food because I wanted to choose something that was healthier for my dog but where she would really like to eat it as well. Nutro has a great flavor that my dog enjoys. It is also healthier and better for my dog than other foods that are available, but is a bit more expensive, which I assume would be because it has higher quality ingredients.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I was told by vet that Nutro's Lite & Weight Management is natural and very good for pets. I always listen to my vet with their health issues and the food that they eat. My dogs loves it and do not get sick from it. They enjoy every flavor and I never have to worry that it is not all gone. I always buy this product.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

The Nutro Dog Food has been the best food that I have bought and given to my pet which is my dog that I love very much. It has lots of nutrition and vitamins so that my dog becomes strong and healthy. If I were to get another dog, I would feed him the same Original Formula dog food because it's very good to eat. This brand of food will always be my favorite brand. I think some features they should add to the food is to make it flying food.

If they made the food able to fly, I would never have to get up and feed my dog. It would just go into my dog's mouth and fed him for me. It would make me super fat because I would never get up again and my dog would get treated very good from the flying food because he loves it. Nutro Dog Food has met my initial expectations. It is beautiful and tastes so good. It is the best dog food you could ask for and you will love it. Your dog will love flying food with good nutrients that he will eat for the rest of his life. I love this food also because I eat it too. I love the smell and taste and that it flies.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I chose 2 other types of food when I first got my dog and she did not like it. I put this Nutro dog food down and she smelled it once and just chowed down on the entire bowl. I like that meat is the first ingredient in it and my dog is never fussy eating it... well balances, many different varieties, chunks or loft. A dog's diet does not have to be the same all the time. They get tired of the same thing all the time as well. I see barley and rice a lot, but I think vegetables would be a nice change for them. Also, if the chunks were made a little smaller for smaller sized dogs would be great as well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I had received a recommendation from my veterinarian so I decided to get the food at my local pet store and see how my dog would adapt to the brand Nutro dog food. My dog really took a liking to the brand of food so it became something that I decided to stick with going forward. I like that it's all natural and my dog really loves it as well. It's really become our go to brand as far as dog food goes these days. I wouldn't even think of trying a different brand right now. Just wouldn't make any sense for me to do so. However, I dislike the amount of food in the bags sometimes. They are sometimes filled with like three quarters of air and the amount of food in there is severely limited because of all the air in it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I chose to purchase Nutro Dog Food weight management formula because it helps to control my dogs' weight. My dogs love to eat it. It is made with natural ingredients. I like the fact that it contains whole grains, real meat protein and vitamins and minerals. I feel good about giving it to my dogs. The only thing I would change is the price of the product. It can be a bit pricey.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I recently tried a sample of Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food, and I decided to use it, because my dog likes the taste of it, and it's more natural than other food brands. It comes in a variety of styles and flavors which I like also. It provides my dog with the vitamins and protein he needs, and I especially like that it is grain-free, and uses rice, no chicken or by-products, and improves my dog's digestive system. It builds strong bones and joints, and increases my dog's immunity system. There is nothing I would change about this food for my dog. It is the only food I will be feeding my dog for now on.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

The kibble has bigger pieces which is good for my 72 pound lab. We have been feeding it to her for five years and she seems to like it. The bag is easy to open and keep closed, keeping the food fresh. It comes in lamb flavor, which our dog likes, and the food is readily available at better pet stores. When our dog aged out of puppy food, we carefully read ingredients on as many foods as we could find. We settled on Nutro and one other brand. Together, our vet tells us she is very healthy at six years old. Nutro (original formula) has more than met our expectations.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

When I change dog food products to Nutro Farm's Harvest Dog Food, I noticed that Bisbee gets very excited and dives into the bowl because it is fresh. A friend of mine recommended it because her dog likes to eat it so I bought some. I found that my dog likes it very much also so, it definitely met my expectations. But the price is a little high which is only slightly more than I like to pay.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I like that Nutro uses high quality natural ingredients in the food. Nutro has definitely met and even exceeded my expectations. I also like that it's available at my local store but I wish it was available at more stores than just 1 in my area. I like that it's ranked among the best dog foods available though it would be nice if it was cheaper and more affordable. Sometimes have to sacrifice personal preferences but I keep buying Nutro High Endurance because my dogs like it so much and it gives me peace of mind knowing that they're eating healthy.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I heard great reviews for Nutro Grain Free from friends, it was a suggested food from the vet as well. Many other dog foods have bad reviews and even cause dogs to get sick which is something I'm afraid of when trying different dog food brands, but with Nutro, my dog seemed more energetic and her coat was healthier. Her teeth and breath also seemed to be better from eating it. She also defecated less often because there was no grain in the food which I assume is better for her as well. However, it's too expensive and it gets used up fairly quickly. I would be more likely to buy it if it were more cost efficient. I also wish there were more variety of the product because my pet can be a picky eater.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Heard about Nutro Dog Food (Original Formula) and thought I would try it. The product is a very good quality dog food and my dog loves it very much. My dog will eat it all the time so I will continue to buy it as long as my dog will eat it. However, price is a little high if there is one thing to dislike about it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I chose to purchase the Nutro Wild Frontier brand because I was looking for something different that was really good nutrition for my dog and not too expensive to where it would not be impractical in an economic sense. The food exceeded my expectations. The Wild Frontier dog food is made grain free which I love as much as my dog does. The food is made without any fillers or other artificial ingredients like GMOs. The food looks real and not processed at all and my dogs love the taste of it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I like that it is grain free and my dogs enjoy it a lot. My dogs get happy when they see me near their bowl. Overall it is a really good dog food. It has fully met and even exceeded my expectations a little bit and both of my dogs seem to be really receptive of the flavor and the brand as a whole.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I had a coupon for Nutro Dog and High Protein-Grain Free was highly recommended by the sales associate. Also, looking at the ingredient list on the package it showed that it didn't contain any fillers. They use high quality ingredients. Plus, my dog likes the taste. However, they could make it smell better and lower price for the product or at least more promotions and sales so that it isn't as expensive. Other than that, product is always consistent and available where I shop for other pet products.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Nutro's Natural Nutrition nourishes my dog and keeps it active and healthy and my dog also like the taste. It keeps my dog free from getting sick or going to doctor. The perfect combination of food formula. My dog loves to eat and it really helps his digestive system to improve more towards very healthiness. Never had any issue regarding my dog's food when it come to the name Nutro Original Formula dog food.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My veterinarian recommended Nutro Original Formula to me. I am completely satisfied - it's a reasonably priced, healthy option for my dog and he loves it. We've tried other brands but this is the one he wants the most. I like the texture and natural ingredients. It makes me feel good about feeding it to my dog and I always trust that it's the right kind of food for him. Sometimes the offering of flavors seems low or weak, like they could use more variety. I think my dog would like a different flavor of Nutro, maybe more types of fish flavors.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I choose it for the first time because I saw the grain-free bag and my dog is on a grain-free diet. I kept buying it because my dog seemed to really like it. I like that it is grain-free, and not too expensive. You can usually find coupons or sales for it. My dog really seems happy when I feed him Nutro dog food and that makes me happy. I imagine the flavor is good because of the way my dog reacts when I give it to him.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Nutro has a large variety of different foods for different dog types. The food I bought was chicken, whole brown rice and oatmeal recipe for small breed, but I believe they should make just plain chicken or beef for small breed dogs like mine. It's a decent price but could be lower. I also would like more stores to carry this dog food because it's hard to find sometimes. It has real meat in it and not a lot of fillers and bad stuff for the dog. However, my dog didn't like it so I didn't buy it again! My dog is very picky so that may be the problem!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I liked that it was grain free and with no fillers. I used the lite & weight management brand because my dog used to be overweight and it was very effective in getting her to a normal weight. It made my dog poop a lot. Recommended by my vet because of my dog's skin allergy issues. She thought since it was more natural it would keep her from itching all the time, but I don't know if it helped with that at all. The price is very high in comparison to other dog food. They also don't make the brand I get in a large bag so I would have to buy multiple small bags or go through it too fast.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

The reason I first started to use Nutro was a family member was doing marketing for the company and was giving me free samples. I like that the Original Formula is made with high quality ingredients and my dog produces a considerably less amount of waste for me to clean up and my dog eats a lot less so it last longer. Also my dog is very happy and content when he eats Nutro. It has met and exceeded my expectations. It is pretty expensive but last longer so that helps with the cost. I don't like that the fifty-pound bags weigh so much.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I have tried different brands that have quality ingredients but the dogs do not always like the taste. I tried Nutro grain free on my dog and they love the taste and I do not have to doctor it up for them to eat it and they finish all the time. I like that the ingredients are safe for my dogs and produced from good sources. They even make a small dog version for my 5 pound dog.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My dog has a sensitive stomach. He is important to me and I want to make sure that he is healthy and getting a high quality food. I had to switch his food from another brand and was looking for something healthier. I think Nutro is made with high quality ingredients and is better for my dog. It contains meat, which I think is important. Also, the fewer ingredients in the food, the better, but I do not just want a grain free food. So I think that offering a limited ingredient version and not just a grain free version would make the food better for my dog's digestive system.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I choose to purchase Nutro High Endurance Dog Food because they are healthy and natural and is high quality. I like dog food brands that look out for animals and not just try to make sells. I like how my dog actually gets happy every time I feed her Nutro Dog Food. She really enjoys it and she also eat the dog food pretty fast. It also helps keep her weight on her. They provide the best for my dog and she loves it. But I would say change the sizes of the bags to more of a variety or put handles on it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Our original dog food was recalled and when I went to the pet store to buy a new food - I found that Nutro was an even better product than what I had been feeding my dogs. It has natural ingredients - including chicken or lamb and rice. The ingredients list was readable. My dogs really like the taste of the food and it is readily available in multiple places. Improvement for the food is to add more whole meat instead of meat meal. I would lower the price for the larger bags of food to make it more affordable to feed your dog a good quality dog food.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

Lite & Weight Management - My dogs are all older and I recently decided to start buying them a more healthy food to give them a better quality of life and to remove all of the items from their food that isn't good for them. I like that the number one ingredient in the dog food is real meat and not something like corn gluten meal in it. I also like that I can buy grain free food for them. I think that my only complaint about the dog food is that it is expensive and that I have to go to a specialty store to purchase it which can be a problem if you live in a small town.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My sister fed Nutro to her dogs and said I should try it for Reggie (my dog). I felt good about giving it to my dog because I felt it was healthier than other brands. My dog really liked it but haven't seen him turn anything down. I like that it is well balance with high-quality meat protein and fats with farm raised vegetables and grains. I feel better about them using farm raised animals than caged chickens. But, it's a little expensive to buy all the time and it felt that it should have more fiber in it than what was listed on bag.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - The package looks high quality and I like the list of ingredients. It is healthier and not full of fillers like other dog foods are. It is recommended by my vet, friends, and family. My dogs love it and they seem healthier and happier all around now! The product is great.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My dog was throwing up and scratching, and after testing, they found out she was allergic to chicken. We switched to Nutro and never looked back. Nutro's lamb & rice is good for my dog. It made her coat shine and thicker. It calms her stomach, makes her teeth white, and make her one happy dog for herself and the whole family. It's a fabulous product that I will always use. All pet owners should use this.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I chose Farm's Harvest because the ingredients looked better than some others and I was curious if my dog would like it or not. I actually bought it the first time because I had a coupon and I was curious to try it. I like them because it makes me feel like I am feeding my dog good food that isn't over processed. I also like the list of ingredients and my dog eats it up immediately and likes the taste. And, the bags are easy to carry and open.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information