2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Nutro is recommended by my dog breeder and I have been very pleased with it. She recommended wheat free food and sent me home with a sample. I have been using it ever since. The original formula is a healthy recipe for dog. My dog loves it and I don't have a problem with him eating it and finishing his meal. I feel it is a premium dog food. However, I would improve the variety of flavors. The price is high and the brand can be hard to find at times. I wish I could purchase it online or at a grocery store.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Received a recommendation from a neighbor to try Farm's Harvest. I wanted a variety that uses real vegetables and meats and decided to buy the Farm Harvest variety. The dog food has been a great meal for my dogs. They truly enjoy the flavor and texture and offers healthy benefits to their diet. I like that it offers chicken and lamb varieties and that I can find it locally at a good price. I feel comfortable using the brand and have a lot of trust in their product. Although I would like to see a beef variety in the Farm Harvest product. Would like to see more vegetables used. Wish they could transfer this variety into a wet dog food and maybe offer a treat with these flavors.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I originally bought High Protein-Grain Free to try please my dog. He is pretty picky. I bought a small bag and fed it to him and he loved it. It is one of the few kinds that he will eat. The price of the dog food is pretty expensive. Sometimes I can't afford to buy it but I try to buy it as often as I can because my dog really enjoys the product. The quality is really, really good. Also, it is always in stock in my local area.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Nutro High Protein Grain Free Dog Food - It is affordable and provides many nutrients that many other dog brands do not. I chose to purchase this brand solely on the fact that it focuses on nutrients for my dog's specific age. This brand is known and I believe it is a great product and I haven't had any negative experiences with it. I love how they focus on quality.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

Seems like a good high end dog food that I can afford and it is easy to find at the store. Grain free so my dog doesn't have skin problems. He breaks out when I use other dog foods. Very happy with it but the price could be a little cheaper.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

My veterinary recommended Nutro brand dog food and I prefer a vet recommended food. My dog has always eaten this brand (Original Formula) with no problems. I like the brand because it is known for being an excellent dog food which has many different flavors and qualities for each age of dog.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

The reason we choose Nutro is because my dogs are getting older. Two of them were having hip and joint problems and Nutro adds supplements into the food to help with these issues. I mix the weight management with the senior. I like that I can get a quality food with antioxidants for my dog that does not cost a complete fortune. Also, it has less calories so my dog does not get over weight, I have four dogs and they all eat Nutro except for one due to allergies. They love the food and I feel good giving Lite & Weight Management to them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

The Nutro dog food I buy has venison and I never saw dog food with deer, I liked that and after buying it my dogs liked it. It also has brown rice and oatmeal. It is for dogs over one year old. This has different varieties and you can buy it with venison or chicken, my dogs like both. I like there are grains in it, I would not mind if there were vegetables and fruit. However the packaging could be more colorful.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I like everything about that brand. My dogs enjoy Nutro original formula and love it. They get extremely happy and they always get excited when they see me bring out their food. Everything about it, is just so perfect and it is super healthy and I feel like my dogs have gotten more healthier and more playful. They seem more cheerful and that's what I like to see. It’s worth the money and I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

My dog love Farm's Harvest. When I buy other dog food he only eats a little not like Nutro dog food. When I have it in his outside plate he eats it all, cats even love it if he leave a little bit on his plate so I feed him a lot and what's left is the cats until the next day. I stop buying other dog food so that I won't be wasting money on what he don't like and buying what he does like. He's a picky dog and I like that it's easy to get what he wants and I want him to grow healthy for all of his life.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I like Nutro High Protein-Grain Free Dog food because the low glycemic index, complex carbohydrates and high protein from animal sources provides continual energy for my dogs. I like that it is packaged in the US also. I initially made the decision to purchase it for my dogs because it has high quality ingredients. My dogs patrol a 39 acre farm and protect my livestock so I want them to be as healthy as possible and Nutro had the best options for quality nutrition. I would like to see the dog food come in larger packages. I have 3 German Shepherds and we go through a lot of dog food. I would also like to see it available in a larger variety of stores as I live in a rural area which can make it hard to find.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - Very high quality and nutritious food and my dog gets very excited to eat this food. It's one of the best on the market. A fellow dog owner and neighbor had lots of good things to say about Nutro which is why I tried it in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

My dogs have grain allergies, the grain free options makes feeding my three Saint Bernards easy and affordable, and my pups love. Having options to change flavors is great too. Nutro Dog Food was recommended when I rescued my first Saint from shelter, Hemingway had hair loss and loads of open soars after changing his food and a little TLC. Maybe larger bags so there is less frequent trips to the store and maybe offer discount coupons to rescue groups as many smaller groups struggle with the day-to-day expenses.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Original Formula - It is great for my dog. It is healthy and made with real ingredients I know that are good for my dog. They provide great benefits for my dog's health and feature good formula. However, there is not enough variety. I would like to see more different recipes for my dog to enjoy.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management had good customer reviews and reports from other dog owners and our vet. The vet said it was an appropriate food for my dog. The first ingredients are not grain, it is a size that my dog can easily eat and she has maintained her weight on the food. It meets my initial expectations and I hope it will continue to improve. I would like it to be the most healthy dog food possible with less grains and by products. If there are ways to make it even healthier and maintain the current quality I would love it.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I'm always looking for something different to try but always want quality. Nutro provides the proteins and grains that are necessary for healthy eating. It was recommended by store associate and after trying it, it did meet expectations and has become a regular. It contains the ingredients that are not only healthy for my dog but one that the dog relishes in eating. Just as humans prefer to eat tasty foods so do animals. My dogs enjoyed Nutro, however I found it necessary to vary the diet and change from serving Nutro all the time to occasionally. My advice would be to perhaps vary the original formula to have different sizes or shapes in pieces so that the dogs think it is something new.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

My dog had a previous food but we decided to change it as she grew older. Someone had recommended this brand to us and we tried and it was the only food that does not upset her stomach therefore it is the only brand of food we give her. High Endurance provides her with a lot of energy and the past other foods have not been good for her but Nutro Dog Food has proven otherwise. I think this is a great food brand they make very good items. I don't think I have seen treats I would like to see some kind of treats (treats that are not too different from the food).

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I initially chose Nutro (Original formula) because it happened to be in the clearance section at my local Petsmart. I read up on the information about the dog food and decided to turn my dogs on to something new, different and interesting to them. This dog food did meet my expectations. Nutro is very healthy and good nutrition for my dogs. They need this good nutrition being they are small but yet senior dogs. They didn't like it at first but they seem to like it now.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Farm's Harvest - My pet named Rose enjoys each meal completely and it well suits its needs. It loves the texture, taste, and quality of the food. Variety of foods are limited and that may be considered as limitation but nothing that I personally dislike.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I want my dog to have good protein and veggies but without the grains and Nutro has the selections I need to pick the right one for my dog. I especially like the small sizes so I can try several. So far I am having luck with Nutro. I have a very picky dog and he will eat most of Nutro foods. My dog especially likes the "pate" type wet food and Nutro has one that he will eat. I also like that they have included High Protein-Grain Free which is a big plus for me.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I like that it has no grains and good quality ingredients so that my dog will not have any allergies or adverse reactions to the food. My dog also likes the taste which makes it easier to get her to eat and stay healthy. Maybe lower the price or give out more coupons. I do not often see High Protein-Grain Free on sale and while it is a superior product and worth the extra money, I am always looking to save.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Dog loves the Original formula and it is good for him. Helps his coat and keeps him healthy. The cost is reasonable. The food keeps him peppy and satisfied. The dog responds very well to the brand. I would recommend this formula to friends and family. I have tried other brands in the past but find this to be the most effective brand for my dog. No other brand has come close to being as effective as Nutro. We also fed it to our previous dogs. The food is balanced and healthy. I am very satisfied with Nutro and would make no changes to the formula. It was recommended to us by our vet and meets his needs. It is carried by Chewey.com and that makes it very reasonable for our budget. Overall it is an excellent food. It has made our expectations. I recommend this food to my friends and family.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Lite & Weight Management brand of dog food offers some of the highest quality ingredient for my dog's weight, age, and size. No other brand offers what I need at such a great value. I would like to see an improvement in offering more flavors for my dog's taste appeal. Also I would like to see more convenient size bags. Overall, this brand has met my expectations. It offers great pet nutrition.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I wanted a food that used quality ingredients and I like that Nutro doesn't use fillers like corn. I read all the ingredients on anything I feed my pets so I want to make sure they get the best food. The fact that meat is the first ingredient makes me happy to buy it. Nutro Grain Free is a great food and my dog loves it. The vet thought my dog was allergic to chicken and we briefly had to switch to another brand until we found out that wasn't the issue. If Nutro could make a limited ingredient diet that would be good too and maybe more different protein options.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

The dog likes the original formula and that's the most important thing. It also doesn't make him sick which makes my life easier obviously. I wouldn't change anything about this product. It has met my expectations. I had tried other brands but he didn't like them or they made him sick so I was glad we found a brand that he liked.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Our breeder recommended Lite & Weight Management for our border terrier. Our breeder is the one we turn to for advice about our doggie boy. My dog digests this well - he has a sensitive stomach and we have had problems with finding a good dog food in the past and this is his favorite so we have stayed with this one. But I am not keen on the smell. It has an odor I can't place. But other than that there is nothing we dislike about it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I wanted a new experience and my dog didn't like the other food I was giving her. So I switched over to Nutro Original Formula and she loved it immediately and seemed to like this a lot. And I think it has all the proper nutrition that she needs to live a healthy lifestyle. She seems to be much happier and runs around all day. It didn't affect her stomach. For improvement, maybe make the bag stand out a little more without actually making it seem cheesy or unnatural. Other than that I think it's a great brand and will continue buying it. I think I'm going to stick with them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

My dog's digestive system does very well on this food. She never has diarrhea or wet stool. Also she never throws up her food after ingestion and it seems to give her the right amount of energy to make it through the day and her walks as well. However, I would want maybe a little less filler nutrients. Possibly find something other than artificial colors to color the food. Also I would like to see fully biodegradable bags that the dog food comes in. They need to be strong bags though as I buy bigger amounts for my dog. Nevertheless, it is better than most dog foods out there. Plus it is still affordable for consumers like me and my family. Compared to brands like Purina or Pedigree, Nutro Dog Food is very high quality. I won't switch back.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I liked the reviews and the opinions of friends who had used Nutro Dog Food. My dogs really love it and it is good for them plus with the added benefits it keeps my dogs healthy and they live longer. It works out for everyone because it is nutritious with easy to read ingredients. My dogs appear to be faster and healthier and enjoying their food more. Their coats is shinier and they appear to have more energy and are more social. The price can be a little high at times and this is not available everywhere which makes it harder for me to keep a consistent supply at times, and this is not one of the top recommended brands either.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I chose Nutro High Protein-Grain Free Dog Food equally with other brands to add variation to my dog meal and this is how he enjoys his meal. I chose the grain free from this brand because it is better for my dog digestive system. I like the texture, flavors, high proteins and grain free. I do think it is time for Nutro to use organic ingredients from United States to make the food more healthy.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information