2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (713 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Ultra was originally recommended by a veterinarian and my dogs seemed to do well on it. It was also listed on approved foods by whole dog journal however it got dropped by wdj for not providing lab reports so I am planning to change to an approved food. I want what is best for my dog and if they don't provide the requested lab reports we can't be sure. Although my dog's vet said I didn't need to change and it was convenient to purchase so I continued to use it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I like that the Nutro dog food is grain-free, high on protein, vet recommend, has plenty of natural ingredients, is made in the United States and that my dog likes it. It has met my expectations, my dog can't get enough of it. The packaging isn't great and the price but I guess you get what you pay for and in this case you are paying for quality.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I definitely like that Nutro is grain-free! None of the extra stuff in it! I do not like the idea of feeding my beloved family pets a bunch of grain crap that is not healthy for them! Plus why would I want to pay for grain! From the design of the bag to the food being grain-free, I liked everything! I can also say that my beloved pooches loved this food as well! They are very picky dogs. It was recommended by a friend and has certainly met my expectations and I have VERY high expectations when it comes to my pooches! I have always tried to provide my family pets with the best of nutrition and I feel this does an fabulous job!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Neighbor and fellow dog lovers suggested this brand so I gave it a try. They used it for their dogs for a while so I thought I might see if my dogs would enjoy it. It helps my dogs stay healthy and happy. They look forward to meals and gobble up the food. I think it contains all the protein and essential vitamins they need to lead a long and healthy life. Dogs love the taste and owners are happy to purchase it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management is the food that my dog has been eating for years. This was also recommended by my veterinarian as being one of the best foods for her. I like that it's all natural and only has good stuff in it. She likes the taste and it does well with her digestive system and she is a picky eater. But I wish it was available at mass merchandisers like Walmart or Target because that would be more convenient. The price is also a little high but my dog is worth it. It is the best and she deserves the best.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Nutro had a rebate going on, so I decided to try it; it has met and exceeded my expectations and it is a good price for the quality of ingredients used. My dog enjoys eating it more than most other brands. The original formula has complete nutrition, lots of meat protein and no corn products. Its ingredients are of high quality and the maker of the food seems to be interested in pet care and nutrition more than other brands are. However, you have to feed your dog more Nutro than other brands to get the same amount of nutrition, which makes the product not as good of a deal as some other brands of super-premium dog foods today.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

High Endurance - I like it of good quality and high energy it gives my dog. My dog seems to like it every time I gave it to him and I would continue to purchase this. I like for them to have more variety and flavors. He is like any dog that is similar to human likes and don't like and he does get tired of certain flavor and he does like different flavor and gets really excited when I change his dog food. It has met my expectations for a good dog food. When I first saw this dog food brand, I was thinking this would be great for my dog. Something different and I can switch between other dog food.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

My dog's old food made his stomach upset, and he would usually throw up each day. We ran a bunch of tests to see what was wrong with him, but nothing came up. The vet suggested that we try switching his food. I was at Petsmart, searching for a new dog food that would be good for a dog with a sensitive stomach. There was a Nutro Rep there that asked me what I was looking for and suggested I check out their food for sensitive dogs (lamb and rice formula.) She also offered me a coupon off my first bag. She was very helpful and walked me through a few questions I had.

I liked that they offered support in the store for buyers who were not sure what to get. I did not really know what to expect, because one of my dogs has a sensitive stomach, and another one of my dogs is picky. When we switched the Lamb and Rice formula from Nutro, he stopped throwing up. The dog food was great for his sensitive stomach. I think the food is great, and the price is reasonable. I am glad I found a dog food that I am happy purchasing, and all three of my dogs like to eat. It makes my life a lot easier!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I initially chose Nutro High Endurance because it's very healthy in comparison to other brands available. I was looking for the perfect food for her, as she is getting older she needs different nutrition than she needed before & this food provides her with exactly what she needs to eat. It gives my dog the energy she needs to get through the day. She enjoys the flavor of the food & eats this particular kind a lot better than others I have tried to give her before. My dog is a Great Dane so she eats a lot of food. I could definitely see buying a bigger quantity for a better value if it was offered.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

My dogs really love Nutro. It comes in the perfect size and it's appetizing. I like that it is easy for my dogs to swallow. I maybe would improve on some of the flavors by adding more grains and real meat flavors or maybe even make some with gravy. However, they already offer a wide variety that my dogs really enjoy and I enjoy seeing them eat, so all in all I think it's great as is. I like that it is grain-free and chose it because it's healthy. It is very high quality and helps keep my dogs' coat shiny and clean.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Nutro grain free dog food keeps my food allergic pup's tummy happy with small bites for my smaller-sized pup. Also my pup is not as gassy and has less skin/fur irritation. However, I would like more flavor variety, more than just duck or lamb. Where's the fish? Or the beef? It has met and exceeded expectations as most other brands cause food allergies or skin/fur problems in my short-haired dog.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Original Formula - It was a trial for my puppy but she quit enjoying it after a couple days so I wasted my money and my dog is hungry. I hope they had more flavors that the dog would continue to eat and enjoy so that she would eat regularly.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Lite & Weight Management was recommended by a family member so I went ahead and purchased it. It is more expensive than I would prefer, but most dog foods tend to be pretty pricey. It has met my initial expectations, my dogs ate it without any issues and seemed to like it. It is light so it keeps my dog from gaining weight which is an issue for her. Also seems to keep her full which is positive as that's what's important because it isn't healthy for them to be overweight. We will see how things go moving forward though, they seem to sometimes get tired of some dog foods.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I like this Nutro dog food brand because it makes my dog happy. It met all my initial expectations for dog food and I found it to be very beneficial. I like that the Original Nutro Formula has the health factor of the dog food. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals that are good for my dog which is great.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

My dogs really like it. They have never turned down a meal since I feed them Lite & Weight Management. Plus the kibble size is nice. It is not too small not too big. Also the price is good for the quality food. It smells bad in the covered I store it in. It has almost a fish odor to it but I believe ingredient is chicken. I clean the bin between every bag I buy to keep odor down. I believe Nutro Dog Food is a good name and is suppose to be a high quality food that I can depend on. I try to feed my dogs premium foods.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Most important, the dog likes Nutro original formula. It has good quality ingredients and looks nice and feels nice in the hand. It is not all crumbly like some of the cheaper foods. However, the price could be lower, a lot lower would help out on a budget. We are willing to pay a little more for a good quality food, but there are limits to our budget. It used to be less expensive. Also, if it could be available in more locations. It has been decades since we first bought Nutro brand dog food. It has been a good food, so we continue to buy Nutro.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I choose High Endurance this food simply because I love that it's made with real ingredients that actually help with digestive problems, coat problems and endurance problems and it's not putting any fake products in the food. I don't know what I'd do if I hadn't found this brand. It's simply amazing and while pure and simple I love it how amazing I found it!!! Ply pure and good for my furry friend. She deserves the best products and that's what Nutro Dog Food had.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Nutro Original formula is a much more natural dog food compared to other brands. My dog is allergic and requires natural dog food. The packaging is sturdy so I do not have to worry about it breaking open and spilling everywhere. If I had to improve the brand I would like to see more flavors to choose from. The flavors currently available seem odd somewhat and I feel like my dog would eat more if they had beef flavor. Prior to this brand, it has been trial and error finding a suitable dog food for my pet. After trying this brand of dog food, her hives and rashes have stopped completely.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I initially chose Nutro Dog to try a healthier food option without giving up taste and texture. I love that it is grain-free, and vet approved! I expected this food to provide higher quality nutrition and a taste my dog would enjoy - I am definitely pleased with the results. My dog loves the taste and texture and is very healthy and his coat is extra shiny since starting this food! Also, it has helped with some of my dog's digestive and coat issues. It is great and I would highly recommend High Protein-Grain Free to others for the same type of issues.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Grain Free - My dog really likes this brand. It does not have fillers like cheaper brands and they have had some high value coupons for it. She also likes the flavors available. I initially chose it because I had a high value coupon and it was on sale at Petco. It DID meet my initial expectations. As the price is high in the future I will likely MIX it with a more cost-effective brand.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

We wanted a dog food that was healthy and supplied all the nutritional value. We try to eat organic foods and wanted the same for our babies (dogs). We like to have the assurance that our dogs are only getting the very best! I love that Nutro has all the health benefits that it has. It is an all natural dog food that is extremely healthy for my dogs and I know that they are getting all the health benefits that they daily need. I also love that they absolutely love the flavor of the original formula even if they do not know all the daily nutritional value. When I take their food to them they are extremely happy and I love to see their excitement! Nutro is simply AMAZING! The only thing that I don't like is that I can't buy Nutro by the truck loads and have it delivered here. The dogs would be extremely happy if that was the case.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

My dog has skin issues and is allergic to wheat. I was at my wits end, tired of hot spots and I think that he is tired of them too so that is why we tried Nutro dog food that my friend recommended. She was selling it at Petsmart and took me to that section to show me the different kinds and explained why he needs that kind of food. He is a very picky eater. He does not like the taste of the Lite & weight Management sometimes and I have a hard time getting him to eat it but then I have a hard time getting him to eat anything.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Nutro is a quality and nutritional brand of dog food that I actually feel good about feeding to my dog. However, it tends to be a bit pricey. I initially bought it because it was on sale. I like the use of premium natural ingredients and that there's no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives added. The original formula also includes vitamins, minerals, and natural antioxidants to promote a healthy pooch. My dog seem to favor the taste of it more.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

High Endurance brand was recommended for my dog based on his restriction of low fat, high protein food. I was able to find the right kind that suited him well, in terms of health and happiness. He was always excited to eat, no matter the time of day, and he never got sick or felt unhealthy after eating. The vet always praised my family and I for the health status of our dog. The food was relatively cheap for the amount of product I received. I believe it may be nice to have more extensive flavors/types of dog food available. I understand that there are a lot of options already available, but I think that the kinds could be better targeted to different ailments a dog might be suffering from.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

My husband was selecting the dog food until I read the ingredient label one day. I pointed out that meat was not the first ingredient and the list included red dye and other unsavory ingredients. We immediately stopped serving that food and went online and discovered Nutro to be a healthier choice. The features that I like about Nutro original formula dog food are: all healthy ingredients without any food dyes or by-products. Meat is listed as the first ingredient and there are no fillers such as corn. Also I like that my dog really gets excited when it's dinner time more so than he does with other brands. However, would really appreciate if it was a bit more reasonable in price. We feed a lot of animals and even though we want to feed them healthy options we still must stick with a budget.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I like that Nutro Farm's Harvest Dog Food doesn't contain a lot of grain or corn and that it is made from natural ingredients that is healthy for my dog. She needs dog food that is extra healthy for her to keep her active in her old age. However the dog food actually gave my senior dog horrible gas and an upset stomach, so in that sense I disliked the food. As soon as I switched to another dry dog food, her problem went away. So there is something in the food that DID not agree with my senior dog.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

The Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food gives my pets everything it needs and is safe for them to eat putting my mind at ease that they are getting everything they need in one bag of food and they love to eat it. It's a brand I feel good about. I know they won't refuse to eat it so I wouldn't feel like I was buying a bad product for them. It a healthy brand with no junk in it that will hurt my dogs in any way. So many of my friends buy it too because it is great brand to use.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I heard about Nutro's High Protein-Grain Free dog food from my vet and so I tried it not knowing a lot about it. I read the ingredients and was quite pleased. My dogs love it and I feel good feeding it to them. They have the best ingredients for dogs in their foods and it's worth paying a little more. A larger selection of product sizes would be nice and coupons would help. I'd like it to be a little cheaper lol. Also, maybe if it was sold in more stores. That would be more convenient than making a special trip to get it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has met my expectations. I love the fact that it's grain-free and good for my dogs. It comes in different sizes bags and my dogs like the taste of it. I like to know what is in my dog's food and the product has ingredients I can pronounce and understand. However, I find it to be a bit pricey for the size bags I get compared to other brands. I also wish it came in a much larger bag as I have 3 dogs.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Nutro Original has met my expectations. What I like about it is that it's meaty, smells good, and my dogs really love it. They never have a problem finishing their food when they get this. I might like to see a few more flavors for variety. My dogs get very picky sometimes and I like to have different kinds available.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information