2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (719 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I like this food because it feeds my dog while doing a lot more things than feeding him: coat shine, joint protection, senior food, small dog food choices. He's 10 but acts like he's 2. We think that's because of the Nutro Dog Food. It has met my expectations. It is a healthy food and is worth the price that we have to pay for the food. Another thing that helps is that it is often on sale. The things that I do not like about Nutro is because it is so expensive and hard to find the exact type of food for my dog. It is often sold out or not available.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I started buying Nutro Original Formula because my vet recommended it because my dog was older and in liver failure and I have continued to use it. I like that there is a variety of food to choose from including senior dog food. I also felt that it was very healthy for my dogs and they seemed to enjoy it very much.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

The store no longer carries my original brand. We were looking for a healthy choice food and Nutro dog food (original formula) seems to be a good fit. My dog likes it and prefers it over other dog foods and Nutro dog food is a quality brand. The package is nice as well and eye catching. There is nothing that I dislike about the product aside from the price being a little high. The store never has a discounted rate on this food, we are on a budget and every dollar counts.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I spoke with a local breeder and his dog's build was exactly the build I was looking for. That's when I stuck to Nutro and I noticed a huge change in my dog, in a good way. The dog's stool lighter & airier and it seems to digest really well & make my dog feel energetic and healthy! But the way you open the bag is not very user-friendly. The bag is prone to attracting ants because of the way you have to rip it open and fold it down... a resealable bag would be great.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

NUTRO Natural Dog Food Grain Free is made with premium ingredients for your dog's health. Authentic, real, healthy. It maintains a good balance of foods, varieties and ingredients that maintains the well-being of the dog. Natural grain free, maintains a balanced diet, is nutritious. My dog likes it. It is allergy free, high premium quality food and excellent growth and development.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Nutro seems to give my pet more energy and stamina than other dog foods, and he loves it. You could try different flavors of it. But my dog loves it the way it is. I could try different brands but I usually stick to one or two. My veterinarian recommends this brand Nutro and grain free for my dog to keep his weight down.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Original Formula - I always try to buy food for my pet that is a balance between healthy and good taste. My dog loves the taste and never leaves anything on his plate. I like the natural ingredients since there aren't many that I don't recognize. However, the price can be a bit expensive in comparison to other dog food brands. There should also be different size options, especially when one needs to buy several different brands of dog food.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Nutro seems best for the dog. The product uses many natural ingredients in its manufacture; nothing harmful to my dog is visible on the product label. However, the bag doesn't contain enough product (too small of size).

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I have three senior dogs. The first time I gave Nutro original formula to my dogs, they all ran to it and didn't leave the bowl until it was gone. Their teeth are not what they used to be so the tiny bits bag is so much easier for them to chew and the texture isn't too large or hard. So clearly I got it right with this choice. I had high expectations and they were met. But the price is really high and one bag doesn't go far with my dogs. Maybe a little bigger bag?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Nutro Dog Food original formula has the price and high quality that I chose over other brands. I want to have wholesome ingredients that are good for my dog. It's really all very important to keep my pet healthy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is healthy for my dog and it is fairly inexpensive for us to buy. It is the most healthy one I could find and it was also the cheapest price out of the other similar brands. There is a nice selection of products to choose from for my dog to eat because she is picky and switches what she likes a lot. But maybe the product could be made a little bit cheaper so I could get a bigger bag at a lower price because I have a big dog and she eats a lot. I would also maybe make more flavors.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I had seen the ads about Nutro Grain Free and it was displayed well in the store. When I went in Petsmart it was on an end cap. I thought it would be great to try after reading the benefits on the package. It is grain free and more healthy. I am always looking out for the best interest for my pets, especially my dogs. The bag gave a great description of the product. My dog eats it but it is not his favorite. My dogs go crazy over Purina dog food, but they just seemed OK with this food. It took them longer to get through the bag as they ate only when hungry.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I received a free sample and my dog loves it. I don't know if I would have tried it without that sample but I am glad I did because it works well for my dogs. My dog enjoys it and that is all that really matters. My dogs coat always looks shiny and they are full of energy. I like that the Nutro Original Formula comes in different sized bags. The only downside I can think of is perhaps sealing the bag. A resealing bag would be better.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

The best part of the dog food(Lite & Weight Management) is the ingredients. Their ingredients are pure, and natural ingredients are what my pet desires. Other brands have ingredients that are not what we are looking for. The food is always gone from the dish. My pet responds with more energy and more active during the day. We really love the brand but sometimes it's hard to find. I wish they would take a look at one area in particular. Their price is high, I wish they would lower the price on the weight reducing dog food so that we can buy a few more bags.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I prefer Nutro (original formula) because it contains more digestible protein compared to other brands. It satisfies my dog's hunger. My dogs also eat less dog food because they get satisfied. I pay a bit more but it lasts much longer and my dogs are healthier. Their coats are also much healthier and they aren't shedding. Nutro is as perfect as you can possibly buy in a commercial dog food. The only thing I can suggest is make it in more flavors such as goose, quail, or other high-quality meats.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

Original Formula - It is a healthy more natural brand and my dog likes it. They have absolutely met my expectations. I like it that they make it in the small bites size for my smaller dog. It seems like the ingredients are all natural and the lamb used is grass-fed. When I see "grass-fed" I know a product is better and for me if something is not grass-fed maybe they are being fed soy which has estrogen like properties and increases cancer risk. Also, the package is a good size. I get the smaller package and it lasts a really long time. But I do mix it half and half with some wet food.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

I like how the Nutro Dog Food (original formula) is easy to carry because the design. Has a handle and it just makes it so much more simple to carry the food. The food itself is awesome. I was choosing different brands to see which brands my dog is allergic to or not. My dog has a serious allergy problem and I am glad to see this food work for my dog. The only thing I dislike about this product is the smell of the food. Right when I opened it up I could tell the smell was atrocious and I gagged unexpectedly.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Nutro Dog Food High Protein-Grain Free is great for my dog. I love buying the brand for him and always dependable/trust that it is best for my dog. Has many nutritions that is perfect for my dog or anyone who has a pet. However, Nutro Dog food may be costly for some people. If it was offered at a discounted price, I think more people would try out the brand.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

The Nutro was on sale at the time, and the selections available sounded appealing to me, so I thought I would try it; Harley enjoyed it and we have purchased additional cans of Nutro after the initial purchase. The smell of the Nutro grain free dog food was not unpleasant, as many dog foods are, and you could see pieces of real food when the can was opened; my dog ate it quickly and did not have any bad side effects after eating, which can sometimes happen with a new food. However, I would like to see less processing in the dog food along with few meat by products as main ingredients; dog food should be as healthy for them as human food is for us.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

My dog liked the taste but it still helped them lose weight. It isn't a bunch of fillers and unhealthy foods. I know it is made well and healthy. I had heard from friends and family that Nutro was a trustworthy brand and their dogs liked it and helped them lose weight. But at times I have to go to a separate store to find the Nutro Lite & Weight Management. Also I would prefer that it came in a smaller size. I don't like the cost but my dogs are worth it and part of our family. My dog is so sensitive to a lot of dog foods but can eat Nutro with no issues.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Original Formula - My daughter is buying this brand and mentioned to me I should try it on my golden retriever, which I did and he love it. So I try to buy this whenever I find it on sale or have a coupon because the price is a little high and I have to buy large bags because I have a large dog and he eats a lot at one setting. Nevertheless, I have bought it even without any coupons because he likes it so well.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

I want food for my dog that I see as nutritionally sound and good for them. Nutro Dog food original formula is made with veggies and natural ingredients which I feel is better for my dog overall. There is less dye and grains in the food, the kibbles appears more appetizing than the other brands. My dogs love Nutro and it has never made them sick. It is not in the news like some of the other brands with issues like maggots, plastic and netting. Nutro Dog Food has a good price. They has been consistent over the years with my dog's appetite and always my dog's favorite.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I've been using Nutro original formula for 20 plus years and I think it's pretty good. My dog really seem to like it. Their fur coats look great, they seem to maintain a healthy weight and their feces is easy to clean up. It's not just full of rice it's full of protein. Most the time with high-priced dog food you end up with rice as the main ingredient for a filler so I would like to see more vegetables instead of rice.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I chose Nutro because it was grain-free at a reasonable price, which is necessary for the health of my dog's skin and coat. And because my family (parents, brother, and sister) had recommended it to me for these reasons. They are satisfied customers as well. But I think the quality of the ingredients could be improved, though I would not want to see the price increase as a result. I've purchased it because it's price is lower than other premium grain-free foods. It has also met my expectations, my dog is very healthy, and my dog seems to really like the food.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Original formula: Nutro dog food was recommended to me by the pet store employee. I bought it and it was as good as advertised and the packaging is good too. Nutro dog food has met my initial expectations. There are dog foods that are better quality but they cost more. For the money, Nutro is a good value. My dog likes it, and I like the flavors and the form factor. I would purchase it again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

When I got my dog, she was a rescue. She was underweight and her hair was coming out. After 2 weeks of giving her Nutro she had gained weight and her coat was filling in and sleek and shiny! She loved the Lite & Weight Management lamb and rice flavor. Nutro surpassed my expectations very quickly. It is a very high quality dog food and is never a disappointment when it comes to the ingredients that are good for my dog. My girl loves the fiesta flavor. I love that you have a few different flavors that are not just beef or chicken. If I could change one thing, it would be to have more flavors for each class of the food. If they could come out with fiesta flavor healthy weight it would be awesome.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Nutro offers quality nutrition which my dogs will eat. I have three dogs and it is very helpful to have a formula which all 3 find appealing. I mix it with a different brand which is for oral care which helps reduce tartar and build up and my dogs love the flavor of both kibbles and it makes a nice mix. One of my dogs has a somewhat sensitive stomach so it must also accommodate her delicate digestive tract. Also, my previous dog had sensitive skin and the lamb and rice formula was delicious and didn't make him itchy. I continued with a proven dog food company but purchased a smaller kibble for my 2 smaller dogs.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I purchased Nutro High Endurance Dog Food because it is what my sister feeds her dogs for about 10 years now and she advised me to try it with my dog. One of my sister's dog is a pure blood German Rottweiler and she is very big. She was very slow because of her size but now she is faster and has lost a lot of weight since trying Nutro. I like that it is all natural and no GMO and also my dog is very happy and energetic since I started feeding it to him as well. I also notice that his mane is very shiny and he has been healthier according to the vet. I sometimes think the price is a little high. It also depends on what store that I shop at. I can find it on sale sometimes, but not all of the local stores in the area carry it.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

We had a coupon and we really wanted to give Nutro Dog Food a try. Our dogs are getting older and fatter, and weren't getting as much exercise as before so eating healthier seemed like a good choice. So we tried Nutro Dog Food (original formula) and it was a success. I like that it is all natural and it seems very healthy for our dogs. It comes in many flavors as well. Our dogs can be picky but they really seem to like this brand too. However, I'm definitely not thrilled about the price. It is more than the average dog food we get at Walmart, or other stores. It seems to be worth the price though.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Ultra was originally recommended by a veterinarian and my dogs seemed to do well on it. It was also listed on approved foods by whole dog journal however it got dropped by wdj for not providing lab reports so I am planning to change to an approved food. I want what is best for my dog and if they don't provide the requested lab reports we can't be sure. Although my dog's vet said I didn't need to change and it was convenient to purchase so I continued to use it.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information