2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My 5 month old Chihuahua Lily has been on a lot of different foods in her little life. I try to find the most natural one. With these terrible reviews I tried to steer clear. I had her on this food at 8 weeks for a few weeks, took her off & started her on Wellness, then Whole Earth Farms & plenty of others. This is definitely the one I think she is the healthiest on & we always go back to this food. Heathy BMs, shiny coat, energy, and she loves the taste. This is by far not the worst food, but not the best ingredients wise. I especially steer clear of grain free. But instead of just reading the label & internet horror reviews, I used how my puppy is showing me how she feels! This food is our happy medium in my home. I recommend just trying different foods & seeing what seems best for your dog, bc every dog is different!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My six year old Min Pin Coco has been loving Nutro Wild Frontier dog food since he was born and he has thrived on it like no other. Well this brand is no longer produced and I am left with a whole case of it that is no longer edible for him. Just one call the Company was all it took to assist this 80 year old Vet with a one time compassion price reduction coupon that made it possible to feed my dog for about a month. In addition to a great product, this type of assistance really made an impression on me and will I am sure have an effect on anyone who reads this. Not many companies will do this for their customers.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I started to feed my 9 month old puppy Nutro Essentials puppy food (chicken/rice/sweet potato). I purchase a small bag at Wal-Mart and my dog seemed to enjoy the food clearing her bowl (which was not done with her previous brand). As I was near the end of that bag I purchased the next small bag at Pets Supply Plus. My dog ate one serving and threw up undigested food a few hours later. At the next feeding time she again ate but threw up undigested food a few hours later and proceeded to vomit bile throughout the night.

The next morning she would not eat the food or even go near her dish nor would she would drink water. I gave her ice cubes to chew on plus the bland homemade diet of rice and boiled chicken for two days. She ate and digested the homemade food without problems. I started to re-introduce the Nutro but even with only a small amount (1/4 cup) mixed into the homemade food she began to vomit bile. I stopped feeding the food and notified Nutro but no response. I will no longer be purchasing or feeding Nutro.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Our Cocker Spaniel has been in Nutro Chicken dry food since a puppy. She is now almost three. We decided to mix the Lamb and Rice in with the Chicken. Within a few days, had vomiting issues and started refusing to eat. I added some boiled chicken which regretfully made her eat the food. She became extremely lethargic. Would just sleep all day with no interest in anything and no energy. Took her to vet - took fecal sample and blood test but he couldn’t find anything wrong. Finally dawned on me about food and I went back to the chicken only. Within a day, she was back to her old self. The only thing we changed was her food.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have two Yorkies, one 16 year old with stomach issues & 12 year old with collapsed trachea issues. They absolutely love this food. I alternate and give them both (dry & wet). They have been on this food for about a year. My 16 yr old no longer has stomach issues!! Unfortunately, they discontinued only the wet chunky gravy. Luckily, the kibble was not. Onto a my journey to find something similar that they will love. Nutro Ultra please bring back the wet chunky gravy!!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Nutro Essentials Dry Dog Food Toy Breed has the smallest bites that I have found. The perfect chihuahua dry dog food. My chihuahua had stopped eating dry dog food, for several years. I tried just about every dry dog food there was, and she refused to eat even the best, including Blue Buffalo. She loves Nutro Toy Breed and has for several years now. She does not like the Nutro Small Breed as much as the Toy Breed. She just loves these tiny bites.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Three of my four dogs started vomiting. We took them to the vet and they were prescribed medication which didn’t help, in fact had to make an emergency call on a Sunday! They vomited their food either right after they ate it or around 3 o’clock in the morning! It was undigested food! After changing to a different brand the vomiting stopped almost immediately!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've been feeding my dog Nutro lamb and rice since he was a 12 week old pup, started with the puppy food and then switched to adult. He is now 15 months old. About a month ago (after buying a new bag of Nutro lamb and rice) he started to throw up his food several hours after eating. This went on for 3-4 days and then he refused to eat the food. I called the Vet and started him on a bland homemade diet, he immediately stopped throwing up. After over a week on a bland diet, I started to intro Nutro again, just to have him suffer with horrible stomach gurgles and really bad diarrhea. I contacted the Mars Pet company via email with my pet's detailed story to get some info, have they changed the recipe?

Unfortunately, they sent me back a generic email with a number to call. Not helpful at all, I would have called in the first place without wasting my time had I known I would just get an automated response. Anyway, I went back to homemade food. He is doing great, I just started to introduce a new kibble (different company) and have had no issues. The last bag I bought of Nutro lamb and rice made my dog sick and I'm lucky I caught it in time before he suffered further. Please note this is a recent issue. I had senior dogs a few years ago and I feed them this same food with no issues for most of their lives. I'm very disappointed with the food and the customer service experience.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased a bag of Nutro lamb mix dry food and it near killed my dog along with a friend's dog as well so I complained about it and all it was is a ** show from insurance guys sending me false information and documents from Mars and the insurance company!!!! Steer clear of these douche bags as they're criminals in every way possible.

Original review: June 4, 2019

We purchased Nutro at Walmart. Our dog has been having yellow diarrhea on & off. Now I’m reading other people are experiencing serious health issues with their pets & the use of WALMART NUTRO!!! I will never buy Nutro again or dog food from Walmart.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Long time user of Nutro Lamb and Rice small kibbles for a 17 pound adult dog. The day after opening a 6 lb. bag purchased in April 2019 our dog did not want to be touched and did not want to lie on her side. Two days later, the dog developed a yellow watery diarrhea. Her appetite and water consumption did not change during this time. Kept giving her the daily food for 3-5 more days. Diarrhea did not change. Took her to the vet who prescribed a bland diet (in limited amounts) of rice and boiled white chicken meat. Continuing the bland diet for another week, did not slow the yellow watery diarrhea. Doctor then prescribed a different probiotic and Purina EN kibble. Today is the day after the first Purina EN diet day. This morning's stool was formed, not watery, and not yellow in color. Except for Nutro purchased in April, I cannot identify other factors that might have caused the digestive upset.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have fed this food for years! And have had many dogs that I have rescued off the streets even on it. I see their coats get better within a week. I currently have 3 dogs that are mine, and they have been on Nutro their whole lives. I have never had a problem with them getting sick or diarrhea. Now that everyone is out of puppy stage, I feed my 3 year old Aussie and my 1 yr old Lab mix the Nutro Ultra Adult (chicken/lamb/salmon) and my 12 year old Staffie the Nutro Ultra Senior food (chicken/lamb/salmon).

I will always feed my dogs this, it has never done me wrong. They have tons of energy, shiny and soft coats, and everything. No reason to change. Any time they have gotten diarrhea or threw up has been because they have eaten a weed in the yard that didn't settle well with them. So don't blame the food, it all depends on the dog and if they have an issue. That's why there are so many dog foods out there, not every dog can eat the same thing. Try a small bag and see how your dog's reaction is on it, and then go from there.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information