2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (719 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

We were able to purchase Nutro Grain Free with a coupon for less than our normal brand, and decided to stick with it, as it met my philosophy of what a dog food should be. I like that it is made from quality ingredients that is not just filler like corn meal. Grain free ensures more protein per bite. The bite sized pieces are easy for them to chew and my pets seem to like the food. However, the cost is very high. It is very hard to afford this type of food alone without coupons. Also, the kibble is small and uniform without a variety of texture and taste for them. I imagine this would get old if I were eating it, so it probably gets old for them too.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

I read a lot about Nutro Original Formula on-line and thought it was a good time to try it out. It is readily available at a nearby hardware store. According to management, there is high turnover in the product! Always fresh, always good! The food is expensive to buy if not on sale. I wait until it goes on sale and then buy multiple bag. The dates are always years a head so I'm not worried about the expiration date. Nutro has met my expectations and my dog's expectations (although she's not very particular at times).

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management was recommended at the pet food store based on my request for a food for weight loss. I had done some research and found Nutro to be a recommended brand on many pet care pages and sites. The reviews were good but with mixed results. I thought we would try it in our search for something that will work for him. I was encouraged by the level of nutrition. It seemed like a good balanced food that would allow him to lose weight in a healthy manner. He has a thyroid condition and was about 10 pounds overweight. He didn't mind the flavor although he didn't seem impressed by it. It did not seem to keep him satisfied. We feed breakfast and again an evening supper. He was still hungry and begged for food at all hours of the day which is really unlike him. But I did like the credit toward a free bag offer.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Nutro (original formula) is made with real meat high protein compared to some other brands that have so much less protein per serving. The size and texture of each nibble is very well, neither too big or too small. It smells nice too. My dog enjoys it very much and looks forward to it every time. Overall I'm happy with this dog food. And it goes on sale or promotion often and I sometimes have a coupon for it as well.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

This brand of dog food was recommended by a family member. They stated that their dog enjoyed this dog food and it was worth the money they had paid for the product. It's easy to find and purchase at many stores nearby. Great value for the price. Natural and nutritional for my dog and I like knowing I am feeding my dog what is best for his overall health. I think this dog food has no flaws and is great for your pet in any situation. Overall this is a great product.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is healthy and good for my dog to have all the time. It helps to keep my dogs coat shiny and does a good job at helping my dog keep its weight on a good level. It keeps my dog happy and has done a good job at making things better for my dog. Nutro can always add more flavors - maybe more meat type of flavors, salmon flavor, and beef flavor. It could also have more protein and use a chicken sautee mixture to make it more fancier because fancier is nicer for my dog.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I like Nutro dog food(High Protein-Grain Free), I think it's a great dog food and my dog loves it. My dog seems to enjoy eating it right up. It's also very healthy as an option for dog food. I like that it's high protein and grain free and it keeps her weight down. It also comes in a great size and I also like the varieties it comes in.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I liked that this Nutro did not include any grains in the food. I am not sure why the dog cannot have grains but apparently that is a new buzz thing now in all foods. I particularly love grains and my dog apparently loves some grains in her food because she hated the food and she absolutely would not go near it. She seemed happy enough to just go hungry instead of eating the food. I tried everything to get her to eat it but she was having none of it. I had a coupon which made it considerably cheaper than the other dog foods offered so because of that and the exclusion of the grains I thought it might be worth a shot.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I like that Nutro Original Formula dog food makes my dogs coat shiny and very healthy looking. My dog looks forward to eating this food every day. It seems like it's very easily digestible as well. It's perfect in every way and dog owners should try it. You would be happy that you did and will love it. It is a very high quality food and it has exceeded my expectations.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management was recommended by my vet and we were given portions for it. Our dog likes to eat when nervous so something that provided good bulk without being too calorific was important. I've had good experience with Nutro over other foods, especially when compared to the price. The price could possibly be lower, but it is still one of the best dog foods at its price point. It also provides a good variety of options to fit my dog's life stages and needs.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I heard about this Nutro Original Formula dog food from a friend who had good experience with buying it. She told me her dog felt and looked healthier after eating this food over time. I bought it and fell in love with the results my dogs had with it. This dog food allows my dogs to adapt to change in their diets gradually without harming them. It is a natural dog food that is great for their health. But I hope they make the food a little less expensive and that a bigger variety of stores carry the brand.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I tried Nutro dog food on the recommendation of a friend. My friend said that she tried Nutro Dog food on the recommendation of her friend. A good recommendation from word of mouth is so important from one dog lover to another. The Nutro Dog Food, original formula, was quality. My dogs were very content with the product and enjoyed their meal. It is important for me that my dogs enjoy their food, not just a nutritious meal but also a tasty meal that they look forward to eating. If I were to offer any recommendation it would be for more coupons to encourage people who have not tried the product to try the product.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I like that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is healthy for my dog. The way it looks is what I like and all the vitamins a dog needs. My dog loves it and that what matters to me and what in it. It's not that expensive so that why I chose to buy this but one thing that could be fixed is to add more food in the bag.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

What I like about Nutro Dog Food(Grain Free) is it is a good healthy food and has good ingredients. My dog loves it. It's good for the price I pay. I don't have any problem with it. I think it's better than other dog food that offer the similar.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I wanted to try something new for my dog that she might like better and might benefit her more. I thought Nutro seemed like an honest company for my dog to eat from. Nutro Grain Free is nutritious and my dog likes it. It is affordable overall and available in many places. I also like that it is in good packaging that is sturdy and has never spilled. However, Nutro could have better ingredients and more varieties. They could also make it a bit more affordable, more available for purchasing, and maybe make the kibbles in different shapes/sizes/textures.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Got a great coupon while I was at PetSmart so tried it on a dog who seemed at first a fussy eater but he has no problem at all eating a full bowl of Nutro Original Formula. My dog loves it and eats it almost too quickly so I bought a dish that makes him slow down; he leaps in the air when he sees us coming with his bowl; high quality ingredients as attested to on the label, which I read very carefully. However, it's expensive compared to others; packages are small and not as cost effective as others that are available for less money at the pet food stores in my area.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I had a friend tell me about the Nutro (Lite & Weight Management) and that their dogs thrived on it and even lost weight and it was healthy. So I did some research and looked up everything I could and thought that I would try it out too. And my dog loved it. I really liked how my dog not only liked the food and ate it every time, but also it was healthy for him. He loved the different flavors and has more energy now than before. He has never been so happy.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Initially Nutro original formula was suggested to me by the trainer in Puppy Basics as a high quality dog food with good ingredients and little filler and a less poop food because it is nutritious. It is also a food that is suggested by vets. It has met my expectations but it is on the expensive end of the spectrum when considering dog foods. It would be nice if the cost were a bit lower and if it were available at box stores.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I initially chose this brand of dog food (original formula) because of how inexpensive it was and how much food you could get for such a low price. The dog food comes in big bags that allow you to not run out very often. I also chose Nutro because of its health benefits. I also love that I can see all the different ingredients and flavors my dog is consuming. It has met my expectation. My dog absolutely loves it and he is always in such a good mood. But the one thing they could maybe improve on just a bit is the smell that comes from the dog food.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

The dog food is a healthier, better quality type of dog food. It gives your dog a balanced nutritious diet. You can buy the original or the grain free. The dog food has no artificial colors, preservatives or flavors. It is a wholesome dog food to keep your dog healthy and active. This brand Nutro has met my expectations. My dogs loves this brand. It is part of my dog's daily diet. This brand is all natural and pure and it has flavors that your dog will love. But there is a couple of things that I dislike about the Nutro brand of dog food. The size of the product for one. There should be different size of bags and they should have different textures of dog foods like for a small dog, medium dog and a large dog and I think that they should have a little more variety of flavors for the dog food, and the other thing I dislike is the price, which is a little high for this brand of dog food. The price should be a few dollars lower of each of the sizes of the product.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My dog is a very picky eater. I have tried other grain free dog foods and she refused to eat them. She loves Nutro Dog Food (Grain Free) so that is what I get her. It is truly grain free. I like that it has all natural ingredients and no by-products. There are a variety of flavors to choose from and my dog really, really likes it. Though my dog does really enjoy Nutro it is on the really pricey side. It is also hard to find in my area at times. I have to travel fifteen miles in order to purchase it.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My dog is so picky. She will go without eating for days if she doesn't like food. I went through it when she was a puppy. I will use whatever she will eat. If my dog likes it she's the boss. Finally I found Nutro Grain Free and she loves it. It has small bites as she is very small. The bite size bits are great as she doesn't have many teeth left. I wish I'd found Nutro before I did. I wouldn't do anything at all to fix this food or if I did she wouldn't eat! PLEASE don't change it. I'd be in big trouble.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

We chose Nutro Original Formula because the breeder used it and also because our previous dog used it as well. Her skin was dry and flaky and this helped. I like that protein is the number one ingredient. Rice is much easier to digest for my pet. My dog seems to really like this food as well as she eats these pieces before the other food we mix in it. I also really like that I can purchase it in different sized bites and for different stages of my dog's life. I have a little dog and its easier for her to eat it that way. As she ages I won't have to change her food to accommodate her needs. I do not like the price of it though. It is expensive so we mix it with a cheaper food as well.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

My dog is fat and needs to lose weight, and Nutro(Lite & Weight Management) is natural so I've been purchasing it more often. It does its job and my dog likes it. I like more options but my dog eats what we got and eats it quickly. Overall, it has met my expectations, and I like that it is a healthier option for my dog.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Nutro received high reviews from websites like Amazon and the pet sites people say that it improved the energy in their dog. I just bought the original formula a couple of weeks ago but I think I see an improvement in the dog. He seems brighter in the eyes and his short fur definitely shines more. I know he loves the food. However, I don't like the packaging. It's sometimes hard to recognize. I always have to look for it, and doesn't catch my eye or stand out.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

Nutro Dog Food contains real meat in which many other dog food doesn't contain. It's not only made with 100% real meat, but it's delicious too! My German Shepherd loves the taste of the food. If my dog loves Nutro Dog Food, I love it too. There's not much I don't like about the dog food. Even if the dog food are leftovers, it's still healthy and keeps my dog's diet in check. It's also doesn't give any bad effects to my dog unlike some of the other dog foods I have tried in past years.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I had bought another brand for my dog but it seemed like he got tired of it and wanted to try something new. So I went to the store and brought Nutro High Protein-Grain Free back and he has loved it since. At first he didn't like it and after a while he started to eat a lot faster. I knew he liked it because his tail wagged really fast and he played for hours after that. I really didn't dislike anything about this dog food, I haven't found a weakness yet. There isn't a better dog food brand that I have found yet that compares to Nutro. It's like the dog food makers started to figure out what people want.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

My dog has allergies and I was spending 300 to 400 a month at the vet for shots. This is not something my budget allows me to do. Nor do I enjoy seeing her scratch and gnaw at herself. I like that Nutro Grain Free is grain free. Since my dog has allergies, I have to be careful of what I buy and feed her. Before I was not researching or reading the ingredients on the packages, now that is the first thing I do. However, I need more flavor options. There is no enough and she is a picky eater. I know I would not want to eat the options of this. On some of them, she would just smell and walk away.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

The Nutro Dog Food product (Lite & Weight Management) is delicious and nutritious, and helps manage my dog's weight. I am happy to have it. My dog like various flavors of this product. After feeding my dog, my dog goes very happy and calm. Nutro Dog Food products fit my needs very well. I am satisfied with it, and I buy it very often. There's nothing I dislike about them. They should have more different flavor for different needs. I trust this brand and it's my favorite dog product. I recommend it to my family and friends.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

My dog is quite picky about the food she eats. I have tried numerous dog foods to get her to eat more and it is important that it is a healthy food. She likes Nutro Original Formula fairly well and I feel like it is a healthy choice. But a better price would be nice. I am on a limited retirement income and have to be very careful with my spending habits. I generally have to look for sales prices in order to purchase healthy brands.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information