2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (719 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

My veterinarian recommended a change in food and a friend I worked with said Nutro Lite & Weight Management really helped to get their dog to eat and be healthier overall. My dog seems to like the food. It is in a decent sized bag, smells okay and it seems to be a good fit for my pets. I am always on the lookout for something my dogs will eat today. Seems both healthier for them and like they enjoy the taste and shape of it. But I wish it was a little easier to chew and a little more economical to feed both my dogs on. I also wish it had better option for older pets, and maybe easy to go portions.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Nutro is a reputable brand, and family members and friends always have good things to say about it. I have never been disappointed by Nutro brand of dog food. I like that Nutro Original Formula is healthy and natural. It is fortified with vitamins and minerals. I like the pack, the colors and fonts used are visually appealing. The price is a good value but the size of the pack should be made bigger. The bigger the bag, the more attractive it becomes. Also, Nutro's social media channel should be open to suggestions and feedback.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I was trying to find something both my dogs liked equally, I had originally tried Nutro High Protein-Grain Free just see how the dogs reacted. Once I saw they were consistently eating it I knew this was the food I needed to feed them. My dogs absolutely love this dog food, I've tried others but Nutro seems to be their favorite as there is never any left in their bowls, and they try and get to me even when I'm filling the bowls. But I wish the price was lower, I love being able to feed my dogs this food but for larger dogs who eat a lot, it can be very expensive, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I originally purchased the Nutro small breed grain free food because I was looking for variety & kibble type food that my dog would eat & really like. I purchased the small breed chicken & lentils recipe dog food and my little Yorkie "Rocco" loved it! I feed Rocco twice a day, consisting of moist dog food with the small dog kibble sprinkled over top. When I used the Nutro, he seemed to think I had sprinkled dog treats over his moist food! He really likes Nutro & I still buy it along with other brands as well. The small breed Nutro grain free food has wonderful ingredients, but it is just a bit expensive and I don't see coupons around to compensate the cost. But my dog does like it & I want to see Rocco happy so I still buy it!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Nutro Grain Free is a lot better dog food with great ingredients for over all health for our animals, to buy better dog food to help with the best health of my dog, less visits to the vet and healthier and happier than if I fed him any dog food. It costs more but it is better for our animals than others on the market. No chicken or beef by products, all natural dog food. It has higher nutrition value and better for their bowels.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Nutro Original Formula seemed like it would be a good dog food for my retriever, so I'm loyal to it. It met my initial expectations and seemed like a good bargain. I also like that it's convenient for feeding time. My dog loves it. It's not super expensive, too. It's easy to store and have a lot on hand, so I don't have to go to the store all the time to get more. However, I would like meat (chicken) to be the main ingredient and for it to be less expensive. I also wish they had a formula for my other dog who eats Hill's JD.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Original Formula - It is healthy and my dog likes it so much. It makes her happy and eat more, and she's excited every time that I feed her. It has the best ingredients that can offer for a dog and natural nutrition that my dog needs. It shows how much care they put in making it because my dog is healthy as always. It does not give her any allergies and it gives her the chance to be active all day. It also has different flavors that my dog enjoys but maybe they can have a mix of flavors like beef and chicken or meat with vegetables. Make a single pouch too for travel purposes. But I recommend Nutro to all the pet owners out there if you want your pets to be healthy and happy at the same time. It is worth the price.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I chose this food originally due to good reviews, I had a coupon for it and it was on sale plus my dogs seemed to really like the original formula. I like the good and quality ingredients and it sounded healthy for my girls. Food is sized for my dog's size, weight and needs. I trust company as a maker of good dog food. It smells and looks good but would love more coupons, offers or lower price.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - My dog is over 8 years old and this was highly recommended to me. The texture, color, and aroma really worked well for my dog, and was great for his digestive system without him throwing up any portions of it. I also use the wet formula to complement it. Has met all expectations thus far and will continue to use it until my dog turns his back on it. But the price is a bit steep, and the packaging always seems a bit oily and rips on me almost every time I buy it. I would prefer it coming in a tougher, stronger container or packaging to keep it from spilling until I get it into another bin or container.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Our dog was having issues with his previous dog food. Our vet recommended a few brands and we chose Nutro. It seems to be a high quality dog food. Most importantly, it offers a grain free variety which my dog needs. His rash stopped once we started using Nutro Grain Free and we were happy to see our dog improve with it. He had no issues switching to it either. We really like this food and our dog seems to as well. He eats it very eagerly and seems to have zero issues with it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I initially chose Nutro Original Formula because my veterinarian recommended it. One of our rescues had parvo as a pup; we tried many types of food for digestion issues, eventually went back to the Nutro our other two pups eat and he has done great on it ever since. I have now been using Nutro for about 10 years and my dogs do well with it. I like that it is a mid priced but still healthy dog food for my dogs. The ingredients suit our dogs needs well; their coats stay shiny, no gastrointestinal problems and the taste must be great also because all three of our pups "chow down" at meal time. The ingredients agree with all three of our dogs. I would like to see more coupons available or possibly a rewards program though.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I saw that Nutro is family owned, made in the US. I read reviews online, so I knew I could trust it for my dogs. It surpassed my expectations. The high protein formula is another reason that I chose it. My daughter has a new rescue dog that's underweight so she is on Nutro(Lite & Weight Management) too. My senior chihuahua & my young chihuahua are overweight and this is perfect for them. They both love the lamb & rice. I would love to see this food in smaller size kibble so my smaller chihuahua can chew it easier.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Nutro is a very affordable brand of dog food and my dog really likes eating it for his meals. I'm most happy when can I can please my dog and save some cash. I originally caught the original formula on sale and decided to try it so my dog can have something new to try to eat. He ended up liking it so I continue to buy it even until this day. But I would make the bags more easier to carry. These dog food bags can get incredibly heavy and it kinda hurts to carry multiple big bags of them. A smaller bag would help.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

My best friend is a veterinarian technician and it is the food she recommended when I first got my dog. I saw the many options and chose the one I thought would be best for my dog who was a puppy at the time and she ended up love it and won't eat anything else. It has pretty good ingredients, although it could be better, but that would make it more expensive. The first ingredient is corn meal and that isn't exactly great for dogs, but the rest of the ingredients make it worth purchasing. It's relatively cheap. It is easy for me to find at my local pet store and there are frequently deals and sales on this brand.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free met my expectations. It is fresh. Love the effect that is left on my dog after eating healthy food from this high quality product. It is good and healthy food for my dog bones and digestive. My dog loves it and it smells and tastes great. My dog feels energetic and his teeth are healthy and his hair is shiny. However, I don't always find it in the biggest size or not always available in my store. I would also love that they have more coupons for it or more promotions.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I chose Nutro Grain Free because it had more than one grain free option. I like that it is grain free as that ingredient is nothing but filler and unnecessary for the nutrition of a dog. Also Nutro has a high protein ratio compared to other brands, and I like that my dog loves the taste and will heartily finish her bowl. Though it is a bit costly compared to lower-end brands on the market and at the store I go to, I don't mind paying this price if my dog will readily eat the product.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

My dog seem to thrive on Nutro (Lite & Weight Management). Their coats are better, shinier and easy to maintain. They have more energy, and the stool so much firmer. I have tried many different brands in the past but this is the one they bark for. I can't believe how much healthier my dogs are since eating Nutro. It's top quality and easily digested with no problems to either of my dogs. The food meet my expectation and my vet recommend it. The quality of ingredients surpass any others I have tried. And my dogs love it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Nutro Original Formula Dog Food was recommended by a friend of mine to try. She uses a different variety of food because she claims that dogs get bored of the same choices for meals over and over again. I like that it is healthy and is always available when I need to purchase it. It's a great food compared to a lot of the options available out there today. There is nothing I would change about Nutro at the moment except lowering the price a little bit as everything today is coming off as a little pricey.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

We were looking for a dog food that had no grain or meat byproducts that would help our dog lose weight. He loves the flavor of the Nutro lamb and rice and refuses to even try anything else. It has small kibble for a small dog. It has the flavor he loves and it's free of grain, gluten, and soy. We have tried other foods for less money-once he smells it he walks away. It's very good, but maybe the company could start by lowering the price. A five pound bag costs $17 and a forty pound bag costs $40. There are times we do not always have the money, have tried less expensive but dog will not touch.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

My dog has been eating the original formula for a few weeks now. It has met my dog's expectations. My dog loves it, mows it down in one sitting and then looks at me and cries for more once he's finished. As long as my big boy is happy and continues to eat the food, I won't have any issues with it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Nutro Dog product is great for me. I love the assortment of flavor and the various nutritious food that's in there and the taste is so good my dog love it very much. And it is also affordable and easy to find in the supermarkets and it's good for my dogs. Keep up the great work.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Very good value and highly reputable. Nutro dog food has met or actually exceeded my expectations. I like that it is a grain free recipe, that it had better quality ingredients. I really liked that it had the extra protein available. I also liked the weight of the bags.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Nutro Grain Free doesn't contain any fillers or artificial colors or flavors. I love that it is made in the United States of America so I know where the ingredients come from. It doesn't have grain and has a higher protein content. I have fed Nutro to my dog for years and my dogs have always been extremely healthy and long lived. I would like it if it was less expensive though. Other than that, I honestly have no other qualms with this food.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

The feature I like most about the Nutro Dog Food product I purchase is that it's grain free and it is the easiest and best for my oldest dog to digest. One of my dogs, a large lab/Whippet MIX, has digestive problems. Any grain gives her gas (not pleasant for those of us in the same room with her). I have found grain free Nutro Dog Food works best to keep her happy, healthy and gas free. The packaging is well designed and size of the chunks are appropriate for my three large dogs.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

My veterinarian recommended Nutro Original Formula Dog Food as a good option that I could easily find at national pet stores. My breed initially chose a dog food that I could only buy at a local specialty pet store and I did not want to be that limited. The dog food is very expensive and is significantly more than other dog food brands. But I like that it is formulated for healthy joints and bones and that they use natural ingredients. I am not worried about what they put into their dog food.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

It has small pieces perfect for dog to eat and has many varieties and it's available in a lot of stores. It was affordable, digestible and it was listed on a webpage as high quality and perfect for my aging slightly overweight dog. My dog liked it very much, but eventually got tired of the taste. The packaging should have more information and be resealable and I would like a scoop included in the packaging. They could also make food specific to breed and lower the price.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Nutro Original Formula was recommended by the pet food store I go to as well as my vet. The food is well-liked by my pets, comes in several different varieties, and their bodies process it well so there is very little waste when they need to poop. It's just the right size for my small (5 pound and 11 pound) dogs, and they look forward to their meal every day. Have different flavors so I can change if I want to do so. But grains are still in the ingredients, so would like a grain-free variety. I also want to ensure that it is made in the U.S. with U.S. ingredients. I can't always tell this, so it needs to be prominent (or more prominent) on the dogfood bag. Otherwise, I have no complaints and it is meeting my expectations.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Me and my sister were both feeding our dogs this in separate homes, me in Vegas her in Rhode Island. Both of our dogs landed in the hospital shortly after we started feeding them this. Roxy her dog lost a portion of her liver, my dog Vigo was in the hospital for 7 days hooked up to an IV them trying to save his liver. We were both lucky our dogs survived. My vet told me that he noticed many dog's livers failing and they were all eating Nutro. That it was bought by another company and filled with artificial fillings and really bad for your dog. That it was lethal. I don't think it's a coincidence. Up until two months ago this company was flooded with all bad reviews then suddenly all 5 stars. Keep looking until you get to the 8th page of reviews.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Well 1st off I want my dog with the best and most healthy food there is to offer him so I make sure I offer him nutrients when feeding him. Nutro's High Protein-Grain Free dog food is the best if not the best food there is sold on the market. It keeps my dog healthy. I love the fact that they use real ingredients in their food which means my dog is being fed authentic meats and veggies. Which will lead my dog to a much longer life. I love the energy my dog exhibits after the consumption of Nutro Dog Food.

This product is forever in stock which means I will always be able to give my dog this. I really wish it could be a little cheaper but other than that I am fine with everything this product has to offer. It provides all of the factors I'm looking to be provided and has more qualifications than all of these other dog foods provide. I cannot see myself feeding my dog any other food honestly. Well with the exception for a few.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has exceeded my expectations of what a dog food should be. Prior to it being recommended to me by my vet I am ashamed to say how ignorant I was of what my dog needed nutritionally. My dog easily digests this food(High Protein-Grain Free). He loves the flavor of it and readily cleans his bowl. I like that it's free of grain and high in protein. I can easily find it in store or online. The price is not as bad as some competitor brands I have purchased in the past. I guess I would prefer some more original flavors. My dog would probably enjoy a beef option or possibly lamb of the adult food rather than the chicken and lentil that my store seems to only carry.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information