Nutro Dog Food
2.00/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

3047 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 1, 2017

We used Nutro Dog Food for most of our dogs life and had good results, UNTIL about 16 months ago. Our Australian Shepherd is 13 years old and when he started being lethargic, diarrhea and bad gas we thought our boy was just coming to life's end. The gas and bloating was stinking up the whole house. I took him to the vet and tried adding yogurt to his diet but nothing was helping, he was getting worse. I googled dog farts and found that my sweet boy was suffering from the food I was feeding him. We immediately removed Nutro from his diet and started on a high quality food. After a couple of weeks our 13 year old is acting like a pup again. No more gas, diarrhea or lethargy! Senior Nutro Dog Food made our dog sick and based off of other reviews this product needs to be removed from the shelves immediately.

Updated on 07/16/2017: DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR YOUR PETS!!! I have written letters and complaint to Nutro regarding how their dog food almost killed my Aussie. To date I have not heard a word from this manufacturer. Since my Aussie was old enough to eat solid food, he was on a strict Nutro only diet. Over an 11 yr period we had a healthy dog. Then about a year ago lethargy set in, diarrhea, vomiting, gas (all day long) and unresponsiveness. We thought old age was setting in. The vet suggested arthritis meds and more exercise, but nothing was helping. Research online kept saying diet! We couldn't imagine his diet being the problem, we had done research and Nutro WAS a high quality food. "WAS"??? When I started reading how Nutro food was making other dogs/puppies sick and dying. I immediately returned Nutro Senior blend dog food to the pet store.

I reported how sick my dog had become and how worried we were that he could live through this poisoning from Nutro product. The pet food honored us with a full refund and worked with me to find a replacement. I purchased Avoderm and within the week our dog was up and moving. Within a month his chipper attitude was back and all the symptoms were gone. Now at 13 our Aussie acts like he's an 8 year old. If you love your pet do not feed them any Nutro product! My last letter to Nutro manufacturer was in November, without any acknowledgment. Nutro do not reply to this message telling me to call you. I want a written response to my letters. I also want you to look at your product. What changed??? You still have consumers with sick pets from your dog food. These are our loved ones, clean up your act and make this food safe again.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I initially chose this food because I wanted to find a good food that was not so inexpensive as poor quality food. I did a lot of research and Nutro High Protein-Grain Free seemed to be middle of the road. I like that it is one of the healthiest options and it doesn't upset my dog's stomach. I also like that it is high protein so that she does not have to eat so much at a time. I also know that my dog really likes where the food has pieces of real food like peas or cranberries. But it could have a little less fat if I was being picky.

Original review: March 1, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has met my expectations and it is easy to feed and does not have a strong obnoxious smell either which is a real plus. And being grain free means my dogs eats the way they should and no worries about gluten or allergies plus the 2 dogs seem to enjoy the taste, they look forward to meal time and no need to always MIX in a canned product. Had a great coupon to match with the sale but I'd like more shapes and colors and maybe real veggies blends. Would also like to see better protein sources included like more fish and maybe some wild source like venison or duck.

Original review: March 1, 2017

Nutro (Lite & Weight Management) helped to control/maintain the weight of my pet and it was cheaper than what I would have spent at the store in the smaller town I live in. I was on a very tight budget and needed to get food as high of quality for my elderly dog as I could afford. I hope Nutro could make smaller or larger size chunks as some dogs like different sizes. Mine seems to like smaller sized chunks.

Original review: March 1, 2017

My dog was fed on Nutro Original Formula since she was a puppy and it's been a good food for her ever since. It's kept her regular and she has little to no issues with the food. She really likes the taste and she enjoys eating that food. The ingredients are also really great too. But I would like variety in the size of the bag.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: March 1, 2017

My dog loves the flavor of Nutro Original Formula. It's a higher quality brand with the best quality of ingredients and no added fillers. It has great protein. My dog doesn't have any allergies with this dog food and that makes me very happy. It also makes my dog's coat shine. However, I wish there was a better way to seal the bag. I have a smaller dog and the food lasts awhile but will go bad because of the bag design.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I am a label reader, and comparing brands readily available to me, Nutro's original formula seemed to be more complete than the others. But since my dog's coat is not as glossy or healthy looking as the grooming should indicate, I supplement his meals with a small amount of oil, on the advice of our vet. With the exception of the need to supplement the oil, it has met my expectations. It has helped to maintain weight, strength and overall health. And my dog likes it well enough to accept it as a training treat, cutting out the additional calories and questionable nutrition of commercial treats.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Nutro's High Protein-Grain Free dog food is a great product which is why I keep on buying it. I had a coupon and was interested in the claims so I gave it a try. After my dogs responded well to it I decided to stay with the product and their pricing is decent. It has natural ingredients that my dog loves. High protein to keep my dogs healthy and strong. I get them the best on the market to make them feel their best. They are picky dogs and continue to enjoy this brand.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I like that corn meal and animal by-products are not listed as any ingredients on the bag which makes me buy it for my fur-baby so she stays healthy and happy as any other member of my family should be. I saw at Petsmart Nutro Dog food (High Protein-Grain Free) on sale for $13.99 a bag and that really wasn't a bad price for such an amazing food! I also like the pictures on the front of the bag depicting the size of the breed/kind of dog you have but they aren't very attention grabbing rather than the brand. The first thing that gets your attention is the colored bags in lavender, royal blue and light green which matters when consumers are browsing for a high quality dog food.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I was looking for a better brand of food when I first realized my dog would need a grain free product. At that time there were not too many choices. Then I found Nutro(Grain Free) and have been very happy with the product. I love the grain free aspect because it is what my dog needs. I also love the variety of flavors available, especially the venison. My sheltie loves this but I would like to see more grain free flavors and treats.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I was looking for something different that had a variety to choose from because my dog gets tired of eating the same dog food all the time. I also wanted something that would be healthy and Nutro Original Formula fit all those things that I was looking for and she seems to love it and be very happy at meal time. I like that Nutro is a natural Dog food and that it comes in flavors that my dog likes and flavors that give her the best nutrition. I also like how the brand breaks down if it is for a larger dog or you can even get smaller sizes for smaller dogs. However, I wish I could see the dog food in a real picture, not just a cartoon form. I really don't have any other thing else I dislike, except for the price.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

My veterinarian recommended a change in food and a friend I worked with said Nutro Lite & Weight Management really helped to get their dog to eat and be healthier overall. My dog seems to like the food. It is in a decent sized bag, smells okay and it seems to be a good fit for my pets. I am always on the lookout for something my dogs will eat today. Seems both healthier for them and like they enjoy the taste and shape of it. But I wish it was a little easier to chew and a little more economical to feed both my dogs on. I also wish it had better option for older pets, and maybe easy to go portions.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

Nutro is a reputable brand, and family members and friends always have good things to say about it. I have never been disappointed by Nutro brand of dog food. I like that Nutro Original Formula is healthy and natural. It is fortified with vitamins and minerals. I like the pack, the colors and fonts used are visually appealing. The price is a good value but the size of the pack should be made bigger. The bigger the bag, the more attractive it becomes. Also, Nutro's social media channel should be open to suggestions and feedback.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I was trying to find something both my dogs liked equally, I had originally tried Nutro High Protein-Grain Free just see how the dogs reacted. Once I saw they were consistently eating it I knew this was the food I needed to feed them. My dogs absolutely love this dog food, I've tried others but Nutro seems to be their favorite as there is never any left in their bowls, and they try and get to me even when I'm filling the bowls. But I wish the price was lower, I love being able to feed my dogs this food but for larger dogs who eat a lot, it can be very expensive, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I originally purchased the Nutro small breed grain free food because I was looking for variety & kibble type food that my dog would eat & really like. I purchased the small breed chicken & lentils recipe dog food and my little Yorkie "Rocco" loved it! I feed Rocco twice a day, consisting of moist dog food with the small dog kibble sprinkled over top. When I used the Nutro, he seemed to think I had sprinkled dog treats over his moist food! He really likes Nutro & I still buy it along with other brands as well. The small breed Nutro grain free food has wonderful ingredients, but it is just a bit expensive and I don't see coupons around to compensate the cost. But my dog does like it & I want to see Rocco happy so I still buy it!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Nutro Grain Free is a lot better dog food with great ingredients for over all health for our animals, to buy better dog food to help with the best health of my dog, less visits to the vet and healthier and happier than if I fed him any dog food. It costs more but it is better for our animals than others on the market. No chicken or beef by products, all natural dog food. It has higher nutrition value and better for their bowels.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Nutro Original Formula seemed like it would be a good dog food for my retriever, so I'm loyal to it. It met my initial expectations and seemed like a good bargain. I also like that it's convenient for feeding time. My dog loves it. It's not super expensive, too. It's easy to store and have a lot on hand, so I don't have to go to the store all the time to get more. However, I would like meat (chicken) to be the main ingredient and for it to be less expensive. I also wish they had a formula for my other dog who eats Hill's JD.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

Original Formula - It is healthy and my dog likes it so much. It makes her happy and eat more, and she's excited every time that I feed her. It has the best ingredients that can offer for a dog and natural nutrition that my dog needs. It shows how much care they put in making it because my dog is healthy as always. It does not give her any allergies and it gives her the chance to be active all day. It also has different flavors that my dog enjoys but maybe they can have a mix of flavors like beef and chicken or meat with vegetables. Make a single pouch too for travel purposes. But I recommend Nutro to all the pet owners out there if you want your pets to be healthy and happy at the same time. It is worth the price.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I chose this food originally due to good reviews, I had a coupon for it and it was on sale plus my dogs seemed to really like the original formula. I like the good and quality ingredients and it sounded healthy for my girls. Food is sized for my dog's size, weight and needs. I trust company as a maker of good dog food. It smells and looks good but would love more coupons, offers or lower price.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - My dog is over 8 years old and this was highly recommended to me. The texture, color, and aroma really worked well for my dog, and was great for his digestive system without him throwing up any portions of it. I also use the wet formula to complement it. Has met all expectations thus far and will continue to use it until my dog turns his back on it. But the price is a bit steep, and the packaging always seems a bit oily and rips on me almost every time I buy it. I would prefer it coming in a tougher, stronger container or packaging to keep it from spilling until I get it into another bin or container.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Our dog was having issues with his previous dog food. Our vet recommended a few brands and we chose Nutro. It seems to be a high quality dog food. Most importantly, it offers a grain free variety which my dog needs. His rash stopped once we started using Nutro Grain Free and we were happy to see our dog improve with it. He had no issues switching to it either. We really like this food and our dog seems to as well. He eats it very eagerly and seems to have zero issues with it.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I initially chose Nutro Original Formula because my veterinarian recommended it. One of our rescues had parvo as a pup; we tried many types of food for digestion issues, eventually went back to the Nutro our other two pups eat and he has done great on it ever since. I have now been using Nutro for about 10 years and my dogs do well with it. I like that it is a mid priced but still healthy dog food for my dogs. The ingredients suit our dogs needs well; their coats stay shiny, no gastrointestinal problems and the taste must be great also because all three of our pups "chow down" at meal time. The ingredients agree with all three of our dogs. I would like to see more coupons available or possibly a rewards program though.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

I saw that Nutro is family owned, made in the US. I read reviews online, so I knew I could trust it for my dogs. It surpassed my expectations. The high protein formula is another reason that I chose it. My daughter has a new rescue dog that's underweight so she is on Nutro(Lite & Weight Management) too. My senior chihuahua & my young chihuahua are overweight and this is perfect for them. They both love the lamb & rice. I would love to see this food in smaller size kibble so my smaller chihuahua can chew it easier.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Nutro is a very affordable brand of dog food and my dog really likes eating it for his meals. I'm most happy when can I can please my dog and save some cash. I originally caught the original formula on sale and decided to try it so my dog can have something new to try to eat. He ended up liking it so I continue to buy it even until this day. But I would make the bags more easier to carry. These dog food bags can get incredibly heavy and it kinda hurts to carry multiple big bags of them. A smaller bag would help.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

My best friend is a veterinarian technician and it is the food she recommended when I first got my dog. I saw the many options and chose the one I thought would be best for my dog who was a puppy at the time and she ended up love it and won't eat anything else. It has pretty good ingredients, although it could be better, but that would make it more expensive. The first ingredient is corn meal and that isn't exactly great for dogs, but the rest of the ingredients make it worth purchasing. It's relatively cheap. It is easy for me to find at my local pet store and there are frequently deals and sales on this brand.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free met my expectations. It is fresh. Love the effect that is left on my dog after eating healthy food from this high quality product. It is good and healthy food for my dog bones and digestive. My dog loves it and it smells and tastes great. My dog feels energetic and his teeth are healthy and his hair is shiny. However, I don't always find it in the biggest size or not always available in my store. I would also love that they have more coupons for it or more promotions.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I chose Nutro Grain Free because it had more than one grain free option. I like that it is grain free as that ingredient is nothing but filler and unnecessary for the nutrition of a dog. Also Nutro has a high protein ratio compared to other brands, and I like that my dog loves the taste and will heartily finish her bowl. Though it is a bit costly compared to lower-end brands on the market and at the store I go to, I don't mind paying this price if my dog will readily eat the product.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

My dog seem to thrive on Nutro (Lite & Weight Management). Their coats are better, shinier and easy to maintain. They have more energy, and the stool so much firmer. I have tried many different brands in the past but this is the one they bark for. I can't believe how much healthier my dogs are since eating Nutro. It's top quality and easily digested with no problems to either of my dogs. The food meet my expectation and my vet recommend it. The quality of ingredients surpass any others I have tried. And my dogs love it.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Nutro Original Formula Dog Food was recommended by a friend of mine to try. She uses a different variety of food because she claims that dogs get bored of the same choices for meals over and over again. I like that it is healthy and is always available when I need to purchase it. It's a great food compared to a lot of the options available out there today. There is nothing I would change about Nutro at the moment except lowering the price a little bit as everything today is coming off as a little pricey.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

We were looking for a dog food that had no grain or meat byproducts that would help our dog lose weight. He loves the flavor of the Nutro lamb and rice and refuses to even try anything else. It has small kibble for a small dog. It has the flavor he loves and it's free of grain, gluten, and soy. We have tried other foods for less money-once he smells it he walks away. It's very good, but maybe the company could start by lowering the price. A five pound bag costs $17 and a forty pound bag costs $40. There are times we do not always have the money, have tried less expensive but dog will not touch.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information