2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food
Shop on Petco
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.88/5
Based on 2,014 ratings

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Shop now on Chewy

Visit Website

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Original review: March 14, 2017

I need a grain free allergy free dog food. In addition, I am looking for a healthy dog food, one that meets my dogs needs without adding problems resulting from allergies. I would eliminate poultry from the dog food as well, just to eliminate another potential allergy. Though just grain free is good as well. The High Protein-Grain Free Nutro Dog Food is really important to me as my dog has allergies. Also, I appreciated the chance to buy a grain free dog food and that the dog food is very healthy. My dog does like this dog food.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Nutro Ultra dog food (Original Formula) is a high quality product and a good investment for my dog. Louie the beagle is an overly loved (read spoiled) dog. He did enjoy the Nutro Ultra Chicken flavor for small dogs. In all honesty my recent purchases of Nutro Ultra Dog Food were due to coupons available on coupons.Com. More, better, and bigger incentives would promote a large customer loyalty base. My only dislike about Nutro Ultra Dog Food is the price and availability in retailers. I would really like to continue to purchase Nutro Ultra for Louie the beagle.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Initially I purchased this food on the recommendation of the store clerk in my pet superstore. I have since done my own online research and feel that I received very good information from the associate. The Nutro brand (Lite & Weight Management) has met and in some ways exceeded my expectations regarding my pet's health and overall look. I like that it provides my pet with a nutritionally balanced meal. I saved him from the animal shelter and he was curiously enough quite heavy for his frame. This brand gives him what he needs and has helped bring him back to a reasonable weight. However, I dislike that I cannot purchase this brand anywhere but at pet specialty store. I also dislike that I generally cannot get coupons for this brand of food but it has worked well for my pet and will continue to use it despite these issues.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is mainly a grain free food formulated for small dog breeds. My dog enjoys eating this food, so it makes me happy to feed it to him knowing that it is grain free. Since I have a very small dog I only need a small bag that reseals as it lasts a long time. It also needs to be easy to open as I have arthritis. I knew it had a good reputation prior to purchasing and the store had a good price for it. I like the natural ingredients with only a few items that I have a hard time pronouncing.

Original review: March 13, 2017

My dog has allergies, so the grain-free feature is helpful in her diet. I also love the all natural ingredients that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free provides for my dog. In addition, my dog absolutely loves the flavor and she has a tendency to be a picky eater. Nutro costs more than most of the other brands I use, but I guess it's also the case of you get what you pay for. Nutro meets all my expectations. It is a high quality, grain-free dog food and the high protein keeps my aussie shepherd at her best. She is very active and the high protein formula helps her achieve her best.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: March 13, 2017

The dogs were scratching a lot and I thought it was because of the dog food they were eating. Time for something different. The store associate suggested the Nutro Grain Free. We discussed the ingredient and how it would benefit the dogs' skin and itching. I bought it, tried it, the dogs liked it and the itching has slowed. It has healthy ingredients and no fillers, but it is rather expensive. My vet approved of feeding this product. Also, the dogs, especially the chihuahua, is quite picky about the dog foods so I was pleasantly surprised when he started eating with the first bowlful.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Original formula: The reason I choose is because my vet mentioned it and all the great benefits for my dog. And I firmly believe in what my vet says because he loves my dog and I know he would never steer me in the wrong direction when it comes to Angel (dog). So I went straight from vet appt to buy Nutro and It was the best thing I ever did! The Different combinations of the foods and meats, such as chicken, rice, or other combos sounds very tasty plus the items used such as fresh chicken, and a big one for me is the decaf green tea which always keeps my dog with good smelling breath. It also contains no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, or preservatives. I feel I am feeding my dog the best and see nothing to change or complain about. I have had only great experiences with this food for my dog.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Nutro Original Formula has healthy ingredients, like real chicken or lamb and whole grains. I like the variety of grains and real products good for my dog. But I prefer the real chicken for my dog. I have never fed him lamb. Just beef or chicken. I watch the ingredients so carefully and it is one of my top 5 I choose to purchase for Dexter. It is easy to store. Food for every stage of a dog's life. It has a good price for the quality of food for any dog. I would rather spend a little more to know he is getting the best quality of dog food.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Free from grains and chicken and is high protein featuring lamb. Nutro is ending up being a greedy corporate but it seems to be better than larger name brand greedy corporations. Still, the price is high and I'm not sure why low-quality ingredients cost so much. I can buy salmon at the dollar store and make my own. I would prefer lower cost with no fillers. Nutro seems to use folks love of pets to gain profits.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Living with a veterinarian, she said that Nutro Lite & Weight Management dog food would be one of the better quality foods for my dog. She said that it has plenty of protein and is proven to be a better food for dogs. It gave my dogs plenty of energy as well as helped them maintain a healthy figure. The only thing I disapproved about the dog food was the price. Sometimes, this dog food can be quite expensive. If the price were lower, I would be more inclined to want to buy this food on a regular basis, not just every once in a while.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is healthier for my dog who has digestive issues with grain. She has had no problems digesting this food. I like that it is crunchy and has a variety of flavors. I would improve the consistency of the kibble though because some of the pieces could be bigger and crunchier. My dog really likes going at it when she is eating, so bigger and crunchier would be better. The food has completely met my expectations. My dog loves it and is able to digest it quite easily. It is readily available where I shop. I really like the different products including treats.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I was looking for a pet food that had high quality ingredients. I selected Nutro High Protein-Grain Free Dog Food because it seemed to be the best among my choices. Nutro has met my expectations. I like the quality of the ingredients. My dog also likes it. There are also a good selection of flavors. The packaging is also attractive and pretty convenient. One thing for me is that the texture of the product doesn't look very appealing. It doesn't really match the product featured on the outside of the container and I wish it looked more like human quality food.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I chose to buy Nutro original formula because my dog loves it and it is less mess for me to pick up his poop. He doesn't have bad stool because of this brand of dog food. I like that the texture doesn't upset my dog's stomach and I feel like it makes him healthier. I don't like how it's so expensive and it's only available in a few supermarkets. But I like that Petco and PetSmart sell this brand.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Initially Nutro Grain Free didn't met the expectation but when we get used to it for one month our dog has fascinated to this brand a lot. It should be soft and smooth to attract dog so I prefer this brand for everyone to buy for their dogs. Also, I like almost everything apart from the extra tags on the labels of box. So if they put a bit more attractive tags then it would be great.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free has vitamins, nutrients and everything my dog wants and needs to make him very healthy. I want my dog to stay in the best shape ever because I need it to be that way. It might be a little higher but that it is very great for my dog. My dog loves it and I like everything about it.

Original review: March 12, 2017

My dogs seemed to have digestive issues when they were eating another brand of food. I was trying to find a high protein (grain free) food that was not too expensive. Nutro met all my expectations. I can almost immediately see a difference when my dogs started eating it. I'm very happy with the high quality of the food and the price of the product. I would continue to purchase it.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I like that Nutro Dog Food (Original Formula) has meat as a first ingredient and not corn or something of the sort like a lot of the other dog food brands. It also has ingredients that I feel good about feeding my dog. He can be very picky but he really loves this dog food. Also my dog has a touchy stomach and he often will throw up from foods that don't agree with him. That doesn't happen with this brand of food. I love my dog like he is my child and it is important to me that he is fed like I would feed one of my children. Although, it is a bit pricey for me since I am disabled and on a fixed budget, but I guess you get what you pay for. It would however be nice if they could come out with a less expensive option so everyone can afford to feed their dog well and not just those who make a lot of money.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I met a Nutro rep at my local Petco. She told me about the brand, gave me a sample and a coupon for quite a bit off. Since then, it has met my expectations. Nutro has no corn gluten or chicken byproducts and is easy my dogs stomach. It gives them the protein they need and my dogs look forward to breakfast and dinner each day. However, I would like to see more variety in their food and more coupons. It doesn't seem like there are as many deals as other brands offer. Also, if they would sell in a 50 pound bag, that would be wonderful since I have 5 dogs. Nevertheless, I find Nutro to be a good quality food I can count on to keep my dogs healthy.

Original review: March 11, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free Dog Food was high protein and grain-free, so I wanted to give it a try. My dog seems to like it and has no digestion issues with it, so I keep it in rotation. I also like how their food isn't ridiculously expensive. There's no reason dog food should be so expensive. But, I would like to see dog food with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, and I would also like to see donations to no-kill animal shelters and other pro-animal causes.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I like the Grain Free Nutro Dog Food very well. There is absolutely nothing I dislike and I purely love it. It has the full range of natural sources that my dog needs for his health. I also like it very well because it is great for dogs with allergies.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I was attracted to the picture on the packaging and that is what captured my attention. I like the color of the food, the texture and also the different flavors. Nutro original formula has a good balance of taste and healthy stuff for dogs. I thought my dog would like the taste of the different flavors that they offer and he would like the texture of the food because it doesn’t look dry. He likes food that resembles human food. He looks for the smell of the mix and then he samples it based on the color of the nuggets. I like the brand and wouldn't change anything. It has really good variety of things that I think my dog will enjoy eating and will look forward to sampling the mix.

Original review: March 11, 2017

I originally chose to try Nutro because every previous dog food I had used made my dog have huge hot spots and itchy dry skin and it also gave him a general all over "smell". The price of nutro dog food (grain free) is high though. It would be much nicer if it was a bit cheaper, for example, to be a better dog food choice for lower class families. But it has made my dog healthier since using it and has way better ingredients than cheaper big brands. One of my dogs has terrible skin allergies and because of the ingredients in it, my dog is a lot happier.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I had a friend who raises Goldens and Nutro is all she uses. She recommended it to me. She's been raising dogs and rescuing dogs for years so I trusted her. Her dogs were always well fed and taken care of. I like Nutro Lite & Weight Management because my 5 yr lab mix dog likes it and it helps me keep her weight stable. I've only used it for about 6 months, but my older dog got cancer. Our Vet recommended feeding her what she wanted, no more dog food. She had been trying to stop eating dog food along time ago. She's a golden and loves people food more than anything.

I wish all the ingredients were more whole food. I stopped feeding dog food to my golden, that was April 2016. I asked how long they thought she had, he told me 2-3 days. Dec 29th she celebrated her 11th birthday. So around September 2016, I stopped feeding either of my dogs dog food. I make their dog bones, and I really feel better knowing what they're really eating. The main reason, is simply, my dogs are part of the family, and I want to keep them around as long as I can.

Original review: March 10, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is grain free and it is important for allergies. The product is higher in protein which is best for the wolf inside of my dogs. However, it's too expensive and too processed. While it is grain free, it is still processed. In the making of this food item, valuable nutrients are lost. Nevertheless, they use simple and healthy ingredients. I have since switched to feeding my dogs raw diet. I now use Grandma Lucy's re-hydrated vegetable MIX. I add raw ground beef, chicken necks, and chicken hearts for my dogs. They love it and their coats are much more shiny. They have less itching!

Original review: March 10, 2017

Nutro is a great brand of dog food, has no artificial anything just good healthy food. Our daughter initially had one of our dogs and she started her on Nutro lamb and we later got the grain free variety. Our dogs like the lamb flavor and it is well digested and has no grain for our one dog with grain allergies. I would like to see more flavors in the grain free variety and a larger size bag available as we have 2 large dogs and have to buy the product often.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I feed my dogs Nutro Natural Choice because it has no corn, wheat, or soy and natural preservatives. I think it is a good food because I had a dog with thyroid problems and skin issues, and now since she's been on Nutro Natural Choice she has had her medicine decreased and her coat is shiny and thick again. I've heard some people say that you can feed Pedigree for the same quality. So many dogs are having problems and getting sick from it, but I haven't had the same experience. I think it's because as long as you feed your dog anything that doesn't have soy, wheat or corn, you should be okay. I like Nutro Natural Choice.

Original review: March 10, 2017

My dog eats the Grain Free Nutro Dog Food very well, I think he likes it a lot. Before, we didn't eat and I was having trouble trying to find some food that he really liked, until I find this brand. My dog was having problem to eat and when this kind of food he's eating normal. Everything is excellent for me. I like a lot this brand of food.

Original review: March 10, 2017

This is a unique food in that it is low calorie yet also highly digestible. My dog is fond of this brand. I notice that the hair of the dog got slightly better after few weeks. But sometimes the food makes the dog a little sick. He can vomit bile and his food, sometimes in the middle of the day. The dog experienced some gas which was unusual. In general the high protein-grain free is acceptable and has some good results. The negative is maybe common of other dog food. I heard good things on the brands and some of my friends have used it for their dogs without any issues.

Original review: March 9, 2017

My dog was having a lot of skin issues, so I was looking for something that would help with that mostly. He seems to enjoy the Nutro Original Formula and his skin and coat have improved greatly. The dog food has all natural ingredients that are easy for my dog to digest and that provides the nutrients he needs and is available in several different formulas that will meet all his needs. The only things I don't like is the look of it, doesn't "look" very appealing, and the price. I know dry foods don't usually look all that great, but Nutro is just very bland looking.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I originally chose to give Nutro Dog Food a try because some friends told me it was a very good brand. Plus, the ingredients were better than the food I was feeding my dog. Moreover, it was healthier than other brands and within my budget at the time. Although this is good food for the price, if it had less ingredients and still managed to be similar in price, I think it would be better. It is not that I dislike anything about this product, I just think it would be better to have a shorter list of ingredients. Nevertheless, my dog seemed happier and more energetic after feeding more quality ingredients from Nutro Dog Food. I was happy with the product.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information