2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (719 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: March 20, 2017

My vet suggested Nutro Dog Food Original Formula and I listen to the vet when they tell me things. Nutro comes delivered from a website. It surpassed my expectations, because my dog ate it quick and has so much energy. I like it, and so do my dog though he farts a lot. But I wish I could get a larger bag. It could also be cheaper.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I like that Farm's Harvest did not contact chicken since my dog is allergic to chicken. It also offered a lot of different choices of flavors. You get a decent amount for the price that you pay for the food. It provides you with a list of the ingredients that it has in it. I didn't like how many by-products and additives and preservatives that's it had in it and it can also be very pricey especially when you are feeding a big dog like I am. Still, it has very much met my expectations with what it has to offer.

Original review: March 19, 2017

My dogs love Nutro High Protein-Grain Free dog food and they scarf it up like little pigs. I love the natural ingredients like real meat and lamb that are not full of chicken bone meal or pork bone meal and corn. Whole foods like chicken, peas, carrots, eggs and rice are very healthy stuff for my dogs. It is an excellent product.

Original review: March 19, 2017

Nutro Dog Food has more protein to help my dogs stay healthier and active, and less grains to harm them. I liked the extra protein in this particular one, and protein is best for animals just like humans. They are smaller pieces and look more appetizing for my pet. If my dog walks away from something he will not stay healthy. Dogs should eat natural foods as people. There are too many chemicals and by-products which are not healthy for animals or people. Natural is best.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I was looking for a product that would reduce my dogs allergies. I have to be selective in the food I provide. Nutro Grain Free was recommended by my veterinarian so I gave it a chance. My dog, Monkey, really seemed to like the overall flavor. Some days she seemed to get bored with it, but I think overall it is a good option. I love the fact that it is grain free, approved by veterinarians. However, I would like some variances in flavors, salmon and sweet potato, blueberries and other antioxidant rich nutrients. I would also like to see tender chunks in the grain free.

Original review: March 18, 2017

My husband suggested we try this as there was an excellent sale going on at that time. It is good for my little dog, very palatable and easy to chew and digest. A review of ingredients included a well-balanced assortment of items which my little pooch seems to prefer. Outer package shows attractive listing of this dog food and seems quite appropriate for our needs. Overall, Nutro Wild Frontier met my initial expectations but I would like to suggest making the portion size to be a tiny bit smaller and try not to make each little item a little less hard/chewy. I think this would make it slightly more easy to enjoy especially for older dogs and/or dogs with sensitive or less than ideal teeth structure. Also, probably wouldn't buy it regularly as it's a little pricey, but it's an excellent alternative especially when on sale.

Original review: March 18, 2017

It's made by Purina whose products I ALWAYS trust. Always loved and used Purina products for my dogs and cats. It's full of protein and keeps him healthy and energetic, lets him know that I love him and want to keep him as healthy as possible. They always deliver on their promises, always high quality, always the same consistency. But the cost could be lower - it is pricey, it's very good for my dogs but a lower price would be appreciated.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I initially tried the Nutro Dog Food because it was grain free (and thus would not bother my dog's skin allergies) and was on sale. My dog liked it and seemed to do well on it. Also, there seemed to be little waste associated with the Nutro Grain Free. However, there weren't a lot of flavor options, so that might be something to consider. I'd also like more choice in sizes of bags.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Scout's original owners used Nutro, so it's what I've been buying for her for the past 7 years. I buy the smallest kibble size original formula. I can buy Nutro at most pet stores and it seems reasonably priced. Scout has always had high energy and a shiny coat. However, I'm not sure if ingredients changed but since Nutro changed owners recently, I feel that my dog has had more gas as of late and the food is smellier than usual.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I saw the packaging and it looked like something that my dog would love so I had to try it for her. She immediately ate a lot and seemed very content. She seems to love it and eats every last drop and has more energy than ever so it must work. I'm happy to see that she is so happy these days. I'll continue feeding her Nutro Dog Food High Endurance. It's a solid brand and one of the most nutritious brands for my dog. I wouldn't change a thing about it except maybe making it more natural whenever possible which is an important aspect that many companies tend to forget about completely.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is grain free so no fillers which means my pets are getting more nutrition for the value. The other ingredients provide more nutrition for my dogs than grain-based foods. However, the food is a bit on the expensive side. So either lowering the price per bag or producing bigger packages for the same cost would be helpful for those of us on budgets but still want to give our pets the best. Dogs seem to thrive on the food. I have used it for my large and small dogs. It is easy for them to digest and seems to give them enough energy for their day.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free: There are no recalls with this pet food and it performs as expected. It has a high degree of proteins and a good amount of needed fats and carbs. The ingredient list is usually meat first and contains healthy items for your pet. It is better than other brands due to its ingredients. It has met my expectations of being good for my dogs. It's healthy for them and they enjoy it and I don't have to add wet food to it for them to eat it. I wouldn't change anything about this dog food.

Original review: March 17, 2017

The store clerk suggested that I buy Nutro Grain Free because I mentioned that my dog has no energy and has had health issues with her urinary tract. Since they started, I have noticed a great improvement in her energy level. My dogs love the freshness of Nutro. The many flavors to choose from is amazing. The vegetables, meat and grain free meals gives them more energy everyday. The fresh vegetables are cut in large pieces and perfect with lots of nutrients. The cuts of meat make me feel like I'm giving my cats and dogs the best I can give them. It makes me feel good about Nutro.

Original review: March 17, 2017

We initially were introduced to this brand by a family friend. When going to purchase it, someone else was doing the same and recommended it as well so we felt good about using it. Nutro has met our needs for our calvier. Our dog enjoys the taste over other brands that we have purchased and it doesn't cause issues with his digestion. He tends to eat it better than the food we tried initially. If the dog food came in a softer version, it would be more helpful. When our previous dog began to lose her teeth, it took a great deal of work to soften it enough for her to eat.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Nutro Original Formula Dog Food is a convenient, high-quality, reasonably priced, top choice dog food that my dog loves. He looks forward to mealtime when he knows Nutro is on the menu! It is filled with nutrients that keep him healthy and happy which is important when considering choice of dog food to feed my pet. He's like a member of the family. It has been proven by my own pet to be extraordinarily great. It's one of those products that you feel good about buying.

Original review: March 17, 2017

It seems more high-tech and innovative in terms of the type of dog it caters to when it comes to my pet's needs and how I feel about what a food should provide. They are all 100% meat products that are made in the USA and are good enough to feed someone I consider part of the family so it has to be excellent. However, they don't include high-quality meat and might include meat from the spine or other dangerous meat by-products that are sourced from China or overseas markets.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I like that Nutro Dog Food is grain free and gives all three of my dogs much energy. They also love the taste, I believe, more than other dog foods that I have tried for them in the past. Plus I enjoy the affordable price and it seems to last longer than other brands. It has exceeded expectations. I also like the natural ingredients and that it will help all my dogs stay active and healthy. I don't think there is much to say about changing anything about the dog food. I would eventually like to try a different flavor for the dogs and maybe make a brand that is for every stage of life as well to make it easier since I have three dogs.

Original review: March 16, 2017

For the most part Nutro Farm's Harvest has been a great product so far. It is way healthier to give to my dog than most other brands. It has all natural ingredients and makes my dog very healthy. Even her fur is soft and silky after she has had it for a while. My dog loves it and craves it too. She gets so excited when she hears me open the bag. The only thing that I dislike about this brand is that it can be on the expensive side. Sometimes when I buy different kinds of Nutro Dog Food, the food itself can be on the hard side.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I initially chose Nutro Dog Food Grain Free because it has better protein content, no grains, no colorings, no flavorings, and easy to read and no junk ingredients. Nothing is artificial and it is the right size kibble for my dogs size. It must taste good and smell good to dogs though it doesn't have a very pleasant odor to me. It also stores well in bags or in container I have for storage. It stays fresh and has met my expectations. I have given my dogs choices and they go to Nutro dog food first. However, there are not many flavor/varieties. I wish there was fish, like salmon.

Original review: March 16, 2017

My dog likes the taste of the food (high protein-grain free) and I know it is good for him. We like dry dog food and it is affordable. I like that different dog sizes can eat the same food. I tried a few variations of dog food brands and my dog either did not like them or he had stomach issues. I speak to a lot of people about their dogs and I know people who use this brand as well.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Television ads gave me information that caught my attention and made me want to try the original formula for my dog. Then with a coupon and sale at the store I knew that I had to get it for Nugget. Also like the small bite size of the product, the nutrition included to support my dog's health, that it comes in various size bags so that I can try it with my dog without wasting the product. Unfortunately my dog has decided that he doesn't like dry dog food and will not eat it unless he is starving which might be 1 day a week, so even with a small bag it was a waste of product.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Nutro Grain Free has better quality and digestive attributes for my dog to eat. The products Nutro Dog Food used to make this dog food are of great quality and my Newfoundland loved eating it and digested it well. She ate it without hesitation and gained energy and functioned appropriately after eating Nutro Dog Food. My initial attraction was the grain free aspect - no fillers! Your dog also has love the taste of the food otherwise it doesn't matter how good the dog food is. If they don't eat it - no one will buy it. She loved the taste and ate it down like a champ! Since it was grain free she didn't have to eat as much in order to get her fill. This was a cost savings. I also knew that since there wasn't any grains any unwanted byproducts were not part of the making of Nutro Dog Food. I know that my dog is getting the best meal for her.

It is costly for my large dog to eat on a regular basis. Without the filler of grains added Nutro Dog Food needs to add more of the expensive products like protein. In doing so, this adds to the cost which is expected. However, I have a Newfoundland that can eat A Lot! Perhaps adding the ability to earn rewards or supplying coupons to your customers would be a very good idea. This way more people can afford to purchase on a regular basis.

Original review: March 16, 2017

My dog is very active and does not eat much food so I wanted something that would be very nutritious and has high quality ingredients to make up for her poor eating habits. She is very picky, but she likes the High Protein-Grain Free Nutro Dog Food and I like the healthy benefits since she does not eat much. My dog eats some of it and has not eaten some others I have tried. It keeps dog healthy and active. Luckily both my dogs small and do not eat much or I could not afford the benefits. Nutro offers great variety and benefits. But they could offer more coupons and incentives as the food is somewhat expensive.

Original review: March 15, 2017

We were switching our pitbull to Nutro Wild Frontier and as soon as we switched he started throwing up yellow bile in the middle of the night/early morning. He did this for several nights until we saw complaints/reviews on here of the same thing happening to other dogs. We switched him back to his old food immediately and the problem went away. I would not recommend this food to anyone, especially after reading other reviews and seeing the other nightmarish stories from other dogs who experienced negative things from eating Nutro.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I figured this brand (Nutro Lite & Weight Management) would be more productive in helping manage my dog's intake and weight gain. He was on a steroid for bad skin allergies at the time, and the medicine made him eat a lot more than he normally would. Thankfully this food helped him eat less, feel full, and not gain as much weight or at least not gain MORE weight in fat (more muscle). My dog (Shih-Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix) seemed to really enjoy it, and it definitely helped him keep full and stop going to his food bowl so often. More filling food = less consumed, less weight gained. He was happy, so I was happy! He even seemed more excited to eat this food compared to his normal brand. As long as my little guy is happy and healthy, that's all that matters to me! I would recommend it to anyone that wants to moderate their dog's intake and weight gain for the sake of their health. I actually HAVE recommended it to a few friends, and they seem to like it as well.

Original review: March 15, 2017

My vet recommended Nutro Grain Free first for my senior cat whom we thought was having food allergies. My cat liked it so I also purchased it for my dog and other cat, the wet food looks good enough to eat myself and I like all the varieties. I like that it has natural ingredients, limited ingredients and good for my dog. I am really concerned about fillers. Also, I would like to be able to buy it in more place like a grocery store or a warehouse store instead of just Petco or PetSmart or Pet Supermarket.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Nutro's High Protein-Grain Free is ONE of the closest to total grain free I have been able to find when I was originally looking for it and am still looking for low-cost total grain free no by-products meal of any type and use more pumpkin, sweet potato, blueberry. Still use rice and type of flour which is not grain free flour, is made of some type of grain and or by-product meal so short of feeding my dog RAW food is only way to give him proper nutrition. Unknown why companies think grain free has to be $50+ for feeding our pets correctly as if we won't eat it. Why should our pets?

Original review: March 15, 2017

I like that my dog really likes and tolerates Nutro brand dog very well. She sometimes suffers from allergies that make her scratch and make her skin red. Nutro dry dog food has been beneficial to her skin condition and so far, I haven't needed to give her medication for the scratching. It was recommended to me by a trusted friend who has used it for years and she felt my dog's allergies may be because of something in the food I was feeding her. So I felt giving my dog Nutro would be fine. There is something within the Nutro brand for any size, age, or special needs, which is a good thing. If not for the recommendation, I probably would not have tried Nutro. It has absolutely met my expectations.

Original review: March 15, 2017

When we got my dog she was just a pup and we got a puppy pack for her from the pet store. The puppy pack included Nutro dog food and when we looked into this food we found it to be very good for her and have used it ever since. My dog seems to enjoy this Nutro dog food and I like that she gets complete and total nutrition from it while not getting the normal fillers that she gets with other food. Nutro might consider making some additional varieties and flavors to give pets a choice of some of the things they would like.

Original review: March 15, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - I chose to purchase Nutro dog food for my dog because as I am researching about this dog food and I read a lot of good reviews about this product. The price for me doesn't matter as long as my dog will enjoy the food and I know he will be healthy eating the food. What I like about the Nutro dog food is that it has a lot of nutrients and the ingredients are healthy for my dog. As a pet lover and I love my dog so much, I always make sure that I gave my dog a good food that he will enjoy and he will be healthy with. So far, my dog loves the food and I am satisfied giving the food to my dog. Every time I am giving him the Nutro dog food, he enjoys eating it.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information