Nutro Dog Food
2.00/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

3047 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 16, 2017

My dog likes the taste of the food (high protein-grain free) and I know it is good for him. We like dry dog food and it is affordable. I like that different dog sizes can eat the same food. I tried a few variations of dog food brands and my dog either did not like them or he had stomach issues. I speak to a lot of people about their dogs and I know people who use this brand as well.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Television ads gave me information that caught my attention and made me want to try the original formula for my dog. Then with a coupon and sale at the store I knew that I had to get it for Nugget. Also like the small bite size of the product, the nutrition included to support my dog's health, that it comes in various size bags so that I can try it with my dog without wasting the product. Unfortunately my dog has decided that he doesn't like dry dog food and will not eat it unless he is starving which might be 1 day a week, so even with a small bag it was a waste of product.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Nutro Grain Free has better quality and digestive attributes for my dog to eat. The products Nutro Dog Food used to make this dog food are of great quality and my Newfoundland loved eating it and digested it well. She ate it without hesitation and gained energy and functioned appropriately after eating Nutro Dog Food. My initial attraction was the grain free aspect - no fillers! Your dog also has love the taste of the food otherwise it doesn't matter how good the dog food is. If they don't eat it - no one will buy it. She loved the taste and ate it down like a champ! Since it was grain free she didn't have to eat as much in order to get her fill. This was a cost savings. I also knew that since there wasn't any grains any unwanted byproducts were not part of the making of Nutro Dog Food. I know that my dog is getting the best meal for her.

It is costly for my large dog to eat on a regular basis. Without the filler of grains added Nutro Dog Food needs to add more of the expensive products like protein. In doing so, this adds to the cost which is expected. However, I have a Newfoundland that can eat A Lot! Perhaps adding the ability to earn rewards or supplying coupons to your customers would be a very good idea. This way more people can afford to purchase on a regular basis.

Original review: March 16, 2017

My dog is very active and does not eat much food so I wanted something that would be very nutritious and has high quality ingredients to make up for her poor eating habits. She is very picky, but she likes the High Protein-Grain Free Nutro Dog Food and I like the healthy benefits since she does not eat much. My dog eats some of it and has not eaten some others I have tried. It keeps dog healthy and active. Luckily both my dogs small and do not eat much or I could not afford the benefits. Nutro offers great variety and benefits. But they could offer more coupons and incentives as the food is somewhat expensive.

Original review: March 15, 2017

We were switching our pitbull to Nutro Wild Frontier and as soon as we switched he started throwing up yellow bile in the middle of the night/early morning. He did this for several nights until we saw complaints/reviews on here of the same thing happening to other dogs. We switched him back to his old food immediately and the problem went away. I would not recommend this food to anyone, especially after reading other reviews and seeing the other nightmarish stories from other dogs who experienced negative things from eating Nutro.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: March 15, 2017

I figured this brand (Nutro Lite & Weight Management) would be more productive in helping manage my dog's intake and weight gain. He was on a steroid for bad skin allergies at the time, and the medicine made him eat a lot more than he normally would. Thankfully this food helped him eat less, feel full, and not gain as much weight or at least not gain MORE weight in fat (more muscle). My dog (Shih-Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix) seemed to really enjoy it, and it definitely helped him keep full and stop going to his food bowl so often. More filling food = less consumed, less weight gained. He was happy, so I was happy! He even seemed more excited to eat this food compared to his normal brand. As long as my little guy is happy and healthy, that's all that matters to me! I would recommend it to anyone that wants to moderate their dog's intake and weight gain for the sake of their health. I actually HAVE recommended it to a few friends, and they seem to like it as well.

Original review: March 15, 2017

My vet recommended Nutro Grain Free first for my senior cat whom we thought was having food allergies. My cat liked it so I also purchased it for my dog and other cat, the wet food looks good enough to eat myself and I like all the varieties. I like that it has natural ingredients, limited ingredients and good for my dog. I am really concerned about fillers. Also, I would like to be able to buy it in more place like a grocery store or a warehouse store instead of just Petco or PetSmart or Pet Supermarket.

Original review: March 15, 2017

Nutro's High Protein-Grain Free is ONE of the closest to total grain free I have been able to find when I was originally looking for it and am still looking for low-cost total grain free no by-products meal of any type and use more pumpkin, sweet potato, blueberry. Still use rice and type of flour which is not grain free flour, is made of some type of grain and or by-product meal so short of feeding my dog RAW food is only way to give him proper nutrition. Unknown why companies think grain free has to be $50+ for feeding our pets correctly as if we won't eat it. Why should our pets?

Original review: March 15, 2017

I like that my dog really likes and tolerates Nutro brand dog very well. She sometimes suffers from allergies that make her scratch and make her skin red. Nutro dry dog food has been beneficial to her skin condition and so far, I haven't needed to give her medication for the scratching. It was recommended to me by a trusted friend who has used it for years and she felt my dog's allergies may be because of something in the food I was feeding her. So I felt giving my dog Nutro would be fine. There is something within the Nutro brand for any size, age, or special needs, which is a good thing. If not for the recommendation, I probably would not have tried Nutro. It has absolutely met my expectations.

Original review: March 15, 2017

When we got my dog she was just a pup and we got a puppy pack for her from the pet store. The puppy pack included Nutro dog food and when we looked into this food we found it to be very good for her and have used it ever since. My dog seems to enjoy this Nutro dog food and I like that she gets complete and total nutrition from it while not getting the normal fillers that she gets with other food. Nutro might consider making some additional varieties and flavors to give pets a choice of some of the things they would like.

Original review: March 15, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - I chose to purchase Nutro dog food for my dog because as I am researching about this dog food and I read a lot of good reviews about this product. The price for me doesn't matter as long as my dog will enjoy the food and I know he will be healthy eating the food. What I like about the Nutro dog food is that it has a lot of nutrients and the ingredients are healthy for my dog. As a pet lover and I love my dog so much, I always make sure that I gave my dog a good food that he will enjoy and he will be healthy with. So far, my dog loves the food and I am satisfied giving the food to my dog. Every time I am giving him the Nutro dog food, he enjoys eating it.

Original review: March 15, 2017

We started using Nutro Original Formula when there was an issue with another major brand of dog food. And I like that it is an all natural dog food. I also love that it provides all of my dogs daily nutritional values and I don't have to be concerned that my girls are getting exactly what they need which in turn makes them not only healthy but happy as well. All of the health benefits as well as nutritional values are beyond amazing. Our girls love Nutro! The look on our girls' faces show how extremely pleased and excited they are at meal time. Nutro dog food has not only met my expectations but has went WAY past them. I definitely would not change even one single thing about Nutro because you can't mess with perfection.

Original review: March 15, 2017

My friend gave me the food one day to give to buster and he really likes it. He prefers wet food so I was surprised that he took to it. My dog is really picky by the way so I was surprised. However, I don't like the price but, he eats all of it and does not complain. Buster really loves the food so when my dog is happy, I am happy.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I examined the ingredients of Nutro Grain Free and compared it with other brands. I also tried some of the other brands with similar ingredients and my little dog seemed to like this one the best. I especially love the size of the morsels. Her digestive system is doing the right way and her coat is shiny. It doesn't take as much food to fill her up. Bowel movements are less as well. However, it doesn't have much odor so she doesn't want to eat it right away especially if I'm in a hurry. Nevertheless, Nutro is a little cheaper than the others. I'm happy with the food, the ingredients and the reaction my dog has to it.

Original review: March 14, 2017

The Nutro Dog Food has a good smell and look plus my 4 dogs can't get enough of it to eat. Their poop is less and doesn't turn to mush or diarrhea. The size of the pieces could be larger and different shapes for different breeds of dogs because some shapes make my boxer throw up and to stimulate my dog's eating to reduce boredom. Nutro is one of my choices for the dog food I purchase for my four dogs to eat because of its nutrition and it meets my standards to a medium level but I actually like Pro Plan much better.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Nutro (High Protein-Grain Free) is all natural dog food. It is better than the low quality dog food that you buy at the big box stores. I really like the ingredients in the dog food and that it is fresh. It helps keep my dog healthy and that makes me and my family happy. But it does have some filler foods in it to make up weight. It is also a little high priced but that is to be expected because of the quality. I don't mind paying more for the food long as it is quality.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I initially chose Nutro because it look very nutritious and I like the ingredients on the label. It looked like something my dog would eat. The Nutro original formula has a nice rich color and smells like real meat. I like the rich meatiness of the dog food. It appeals to my dog's smell and taste. I also like the bag and I like the size of the package. The only thing I dislike is that once the bag is opened it can sometimes tip over or spill. It would be nice to have a resealable bag. Also, I would like to see dog food in a different size and type containers.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Nutro Grain Free Dog Food was recommended to me by my dog's vet. I had a list of 3 foods and Nutro seemed to be a good one for my dog's needs but if it doesn't taste good a dog won't get any of the benefits from the food. I liked the grain free option for my dachshund as he has stomach problems and has already had kidney stones removed when he was 5 years old, he is now 7. I like foods that have natural ingredients but also ingredients which are good for my dog. But, I am assuming the flavor was not good because my dog refused to eat it. I tried for over two weeks and nothing changed. Possibly more flavor should be added to the recipe to entice dogs to eat food that is good for them.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I need a grain free allergy free dog food. In addition, I am looking for a healthy dog food, one that meets my dogs needs without adding problems resulting from allergies. I would eliminate poultry from the dog food as well, just to eliminate another potential allergy. Though just grain free is good as well. The High Protein-Grain Free Nutro Dog Food is really important to me as my dog has allergies. Also, I appreciated the chance to buy a grain free dog food and that the dog food is very healthy. My dog does like this dog food.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Nutro Ultra dog food (Original Formula) is a high quality product and a good investment for my dog. Louie the beagle is an overly loved (read spoiled) dog. He did enjoy the Nutro Ultra Chicken flavor for small dogs. In all honesty my recent purchases of Nutro Ultra Dog Food were due to coupons available on coupons.Com. More, better, and bigger incentives would promote a large customer loyalty base. My only dislike about Nutro Ultra Dog Food is the price and availability in retailers. I would really like to continue to purchase Nutro Ultra for Louie the beagle.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Initially I purchased this food on the recommendation of the store clerk in my pet superstore. I have since done my own online research and feel that I received very good information from the associate. The Nutro brand (Lite & Weight Management) has met and in some ways exceeded my expectations regarding my pet's health and overall look. I like that it provides my pet with a nutritionally balanced meal. I saved him from the animal shelter and he was curiously enough quite heavy for his frame. This brand gives him what he needs and has helped bring him back to a reasonable weight. However, I dislike that I cannot purchase this brand anywhere but at pet specialty store. I also dislike that I generally cannot get coupons for this brand of food but it has worked well for my pet and will continue to use it despite these issues.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is mainly a grain free food formulated for small dog breeds. My dog enjoys eating this food, so it makes me happy to feed it to him knowing that it is grain free. Since I have a very small dog I only need a small bag that reseals as it lasts a long time. It also needs to be easy to open as I have arthritis. I knew it had a good reputation prior to purchasing and the store had a good price for it. I like the natural ingredients with only a few items that I have a hard time pronouncing.

Original review: March 13, 2017

My dog has allergies, so the grain-free feature is helpful in her diet. I also love the all natural ingredients that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free provides for my dog. In addition, my dog absolutely loves the flavor and she has a tendency to be a picky eater. Nutro costs more than most of the other brands I use, but I guess it's also the case of you get what you pay for. Nutro meets all my expectations. It is a high quality, grain-free dog food and the high protein keeps my aussie shepherd at her best. She is very active and the high protein formula helps her achieve her best.

Original review: March 13, 2017

The dogs were scratching a lot and I thought it was because of the dog food they were eating. Time for something different. The store associate suggested the Nutro Grain Free. We discussed the ingredient and how it would benefit the dogs' skin and itching. I bought it, tried it, the dogs liked it and the itching has slowed. It has healthy ingredients and no fillers, but it is rather expensive. My vet approved of feeding this product. Also, the dogs, especially the chihuahua, is quite picky about the dog foods so I was pleasantly surprised when he started eating with the first bowlful.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Original formula: The reason I choose is because my vet mentioned it and all the great benefits for my dog. And I firmly believe in what my vet says because he loves my dog and I know he would never steer me in the wrong direction when it comes to Angel (dog). So I went straight from vet appt to buy Nutro and It was the best thing I ever did! The Different combinations of the foods and meats, such as chicken, rice, or other combos sounds very tasty plus the items used such as fresh chicken, and a big one for me is the decaf green tea which always keeps my dog with good smelling breath. It also contains no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, or preservatives. I feel I am feeding my dog the best and see nothing to change or complain about. I have had only great experiences with this food for my dog.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Nutro Original Formula has healthy ingredients, like real chicken or lamb and whole grains. I like the variety of grains and real products good for my dog. But I prefer the real chicken for my dog. I have never fed him lamb. Just beef or chicken. I watch the ingredients so carefully and it is one of my top 5 I choose to purchase for Dexter. It is easy to store. Food for every stage of a dog's life. It has a good price for the quality of food for any dog. I would rather spend a little more to know he is getting the best quality of dog food.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Free from grains and chicken and is high protein featuring lamb. Nutro is ending up being a greedy corporate but it seems to be better than larger name brand greedy corporations. Still, the price is high and I'm not sure why low-quality ingredients cost so much. I can buy salmon at the dollar store and make my own. I would prefer lower cost with no fillers. Nutro seems to use folks love of pets to gain profits.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Living with a veterinarian, she said that Nutro Lite & Weight Management dog food would be one of the better quality foods for my dog. She said that it has plenty of protein and is proven to be a better food for dogs. It gave my dogs plenty of energy as well as helped them maintain a healthy figure. The only thing I disapproved about the dog food was the price. Sometimes, this dog food can be quite expensive. If the price were lower, I would be more inclined to want to buy this food on a regular basis, not just every once in a while.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Nutro Dog Food is healthier for my dog who has digestive issues with grain. She has had no problems digesting this food. I like that it is crunchy and has a variety of flavors. I would improve the consistency of the kibble though because some of the pieces could be bigger and crunchier. My dog really likes going at it when she is eating, so bigger and crunchier would be better. The food has completely met my expectations. My dog loves it and is able to digest it quite easily. It is readily available where I shop. I really like the different products including treats.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I was looking for a pet food that had high quality ingredients. I selected Nutro High Protein-Grain Free Dog Food because it seemed to be the best among my choices. Nutro has met my expectations. I like the quality of the ingredients. My dog also likes it. There are also a good selection of flavors. The packaging is also attractive and pretty convenient. One thing for me is that the texture of the product doesn't look very appealing. It doesn't really match the product featured on the outside of the container and I wish it looked more like human quality food.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information