2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: April 7, 2017

Yes, I fed my Lab some other kind of food & he was itchy and had very loose stool. I changed his diet to Nutro/grain free and he stopped itching, his stool was firm & small and he loves the taste. Nutro is a well balanced nutritional superior food. I love that it is an product that contains meat, but no grain products or byproducts. It is a great value for the cost. I would not change a thing but I would like the food to be supplied by more distributors in my rural. I hate when I run out of dog food and my normal food store has also run out. I sometimes have to drive 45 minutes away to find the variety I am looking for. Maybe a larger bag size would be more convenient, about 100 pounds.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I liked that this type of dog food had no grain it. It also had a high protein count but the protein should be of a better quality. Without a coupon and or a sale I probably would not buy this food as my dog likes a different food better.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Nutro Grain Free dog food is one of the best I have found. Everything about Nutro is what I was looking for. I noticed buying food with grains they are constantly scratching so I was looking for something to help with the problem. And it has been great choice for animals with allergies and my babies like it. Will continue to purchase. Price was also very reasonable. I will recommend this product.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I have had good past experience with Nutro High Protein-Grain Free. I like that it is all natural and high protein. This food product has been one of the best for my pet in terms of digestibility and his willingness to eat. I am completely satisfied with this product.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I liked that there was no grains and it has high protein and vitamins my dogs needed to perform better. I noticed their weight and gums improve and their coats became softer and shinier. But the smell was super strong, it was hard to keep my dogs out of the bag. Not a pleasant smell when we fed them and it would stink up the whole room. We eventually had to start feeding them outside. It met my initial expectations, dogs aren't meant to eat grains. But it was too expensive and when my second dog stopped eating I had to switch brands again.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Nutro is a higher quality dog food that still can be purchased at my local Petco. My Chihuahuas are sensitive to red dye on other foods and when I asked a store employee he recommended it and she seemed to know the brand well as per her experience. However, all of my dogs have gotten sick of their stomach when eating it causing them all to begin having vomits and very bad diarrhea. That lasted a few days even after stopping the food.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I try to buy quality products for my dog and Nutro High Protein-Grain Free always gets recommended to me. Plus the price is also agreeable with my budget. I have always given it to my dog ever since. I can notice what it does for my dog's coat and the way she acts and looks. However, it would be great if the cans could come with a sealing lid. My dog is only 4 pounds and 1 can goes a long way but sometimes I'll throw it away just because it sits too long before she can finish it.

Original review: April 6, 2017

Dog definitely enjoyed the food (High Protein-Grain Free). Grain-free often avoids the GMO issue. Dogs are made to eat high if not only protein! Definitely met all expectations. Wanted to give dog the same care of food as we do ourselves (non GMO, organic if possible, tailored to individual needs) and dog has more energy than eating grain food or table scraps. However, it's more expensive than other foods, really stinky dog farts, and sometimes have to buy at specialty pet store rather than big store that's more convenient. Do not feel like we can afford it every time (about 5 large bags per year).

Original review: April 6, 2017

I like the high protein of Nutro dog food and that my dog likes it. It is the best. It is nutritious and wholesome for my dog and I love my dog. However, I wish the cost was lower as I like having money. The cost and markup seems to be high.

Original review: April 5, 2017

My dog has grain sensitivity and is a little underweight so the high protein is a must. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is a safe effective food that has met all her needs. She also is a little picky so it helps that Nutro offers flavors she really enjoys. She really enjoys mealtime and it's almost like she knows when it's time to eat. She has never acted that way with any other food. However, I wish that there was a soft form of the Nutro. Sometimes she has trouble eating the hard food and I only like to give her wet food in the morning.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I rescued Cosmo when he was 3 yrs old. He is a shih-poo breed, and he is as bright and energetic at age 10.5 than he was as a baby! He was eating Nutro with his previous owner. I didn't want to traumatize him further by changing his food. Turns out... it was the one thing they were doing right! And the best feature is that Cosmo loves it. It's always a great thing when you get your dog to eat healthy foods without a fight! (And without having to MIX in other "stuff" to bribe them to eat!) As long as Cosmo stays healthy and happy, he will continue to eat Nutro dog food.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I liked the brand because I know I can trust them. I really like that it is packed full of protein and grain free as my dog is sensitive to grains. My dog likes the food and always eats it all gone. He seems happy and healthy. It has met and exceeded my expectations as far as nutrition goes. It could use more new flavors though as I know my dog will soon tire of the same old flavors. Other than that it's great.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I like that it is grain free and has natural ingredients. It helps with their digestive system and provides all they need. I also like that it is made with absolutely no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. I like all the qualities of the food. The bags of food could be larger since I have a German Shepherd and I don't like to have buy food every month. I choose this because I had a coupon at first and I was also looking for a grain free food to feed my dog. This food has met my initial expectations and more. My dog seems to like it which is important.

Original review: April 3, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - I first purchased this dog food because it was recommend to me by a good friend and my vet. It did meet my expectations somewhat however I thought in some aspects it would be a bit better. I didn't like at the start of me feeding my dog this brand. He got a bit sick for a couple of days but after that he went back to his normal self. However, that really worried me. But, I like that it's plant based and my dog seems to really enjoy it over any other brand I try to ever give him. It makes him happy and healthy and that makes me happy.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I was looking for a new grain free option as my dogs started having hot spots on their previous food. I like the company advertising that they care about every ingredient not just the first ingredient. My dogs eat it without issue and there is no grain in it so less fillers. In addition to that I find that food without the grain prevent the hot spots on my dogs. There have been no hot spots with my dogs who are very prone to them thanks to their breed. So far things have been great.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I don't think grain is good for dogs. I would prefer him to eat mostly meat but I think some grains are OK for dogs to eat as long as they don't eat too much of it. And Nutro Grain Free doesn't have any unwanted grains that are just fillers like corn and barley that would just fill him up with empty calories that will result in him being over the recommended weight for my dog.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I chose Nutro Grain Free originally because I was looking for a good grain free option for my dog. I read the ingredients and it looked like it was the best option for the grain free types of food. I like how it seems to me to be better for my dog. Being grain free makes me think that it is a more natural food for him. That it is something he would be eating in the wild. But I would like to see less strange chemicals in it as preservatives. I would be happy to pay a more premium price to make up for it not lasting as long on the shelf. But I think that it has met my expectations quite well. My dog really seems to like it, it smells pretty good, I mean as far as dog food goes, and overall it seems to be a good choice.

Original review: April 1, 2017

Great reviews online. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is a natural product that will not upset my dog's stomach or her skin. Healthier and gives my dog energy. Also, it is made by a reputable company where I can be worry free and confident I am giving my dog something good that she enjoys and cherishes. She loves it a lot. I wish it could be cheaper however you get what you pay for and I am very happy about the product. I would also be happier if it came in 5 or 6 different sizes. Sometimes I cannot fit the big bags. But Nutro dog has definitely exceeded my expectations for dog food and it would take a lot for me to switch brands.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I chose Nutro dog food over other brands as it was recommended to me by several of my friends who have pet dogs. There are a lot of grain free products on the market however Nutro is a great band that's been around a while and is highly recommended. I would however want to see additional size bags of dog food. Some sizes are too large (too heavy to carry) and some are just too small. But I like the Nutro dog food because it is grain free. My dog has a problem with grains and suffers from seizures. Ever since he has been put on a grain free diet - knock on wood - he has not had one seizure!

Original review: March 31, 2017

I choose Nutro because it was on sale, I also wanted to find a brand or flavors my dogs might like, and it has met my expectations and they look forward to their meal times. I like the high protein in the dog food. I like that it gives my dogs a shiny coat, and is a healthy option for my dogs. I like the bite size pieces it comes in, too. However, the price is too high and they should come in different or more variety of food my dogs will liked.

Original review: March 30, 2017

My dog loves it because it's grain free and she likes the taste of it. I don't have to worry when I give my dog this food because it is grain free, which is healthier for my dog than any other dog foods that I can think of, with no kind of grains to bother my dog.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Nutro dog food is healthy for my dog. It came with a strong vet recommendation. I like that there is no grains in it so there is no filler. The high protein keeps him full all day long. Our dog really likes it and the flavor of the food. This formula does not upset our dog's tummy like some other brands have. However the smell is very strong. Would be better if the smell wasn't as strong. Also, I wish it came in more flavors. There is only one flavor that our store carries for the High Protein-Grain Free variety. But the price for this brand is very reasonable.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I read good reviews on Nutro High Protein-Grain Free, so I gave this product a try. I liked the different shapes of this dog food/kibble because they contained some ridged pieces that will help in cleaning teeth. This food was not strong scented and did not have crumbs in the bag and I recognized all of the ingredients on the ingredient list and I considered none of them to be harmful. I also like that this product is grain free because this aids in easier digestion of this food/product. My dog liked this product.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I did a lot or researching online and some trial and error. I wanted to make sure it was something he would love so he tried a lot of them even though you shouldn't switch dog foods. He loved Nutro High Protein-Grain Free the best and loves the taste of it and the different flavor combinations that are unique to the product. It seems very well thought out and benefits my dog's health and spirits in every way. However, it can be hard to find or keep in stock at the stores I shop at. And they should have more flavor varieties, as well.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free - My dogs seemed unhappy with their current dog food at the time so I switched to see if they liked this kind. My dogs seem to like this brand as one of their favorites. I like how it is nutritious. The brand has many different flavors to choose from and comes in a easy to use bag. So far I have not came across anything that should be changed. Maybe having more options available in store at Walmart or offering it at Dollar General.

Original review: March 27, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free - I like Nutro dog because the ingredients are very straightforward, and it has no gross things that I wouldn't eat. Nutro dog accepted my initial expectations because my dog adapted to it very well. My dog is very healthy, so I choose for it to have a grain free diet. I feel attached to my dog, and it is important that we are both healthy. I like the no grain part. I am gluten free, and grain is my enemy. However, I would like for the food to be a bit more rich to soften my dog's stool. It is often rock hard, and there is not enough vegetables and meats. They should add more, just to give my dog a better rounded diet.

Original review: March 27, 2017

I like that it has many options to choose from, for example grain-free or high protein. It comes in handy when you have multiple dogs with different dietary needs - on top of trying to feed them healthy natural food. Nutro is perfectly fine the way it is and I would not change anything about this food brand. I like it a lot. I had a coupon for it originally so I decided I would try it out. I eventually switched from my last food to Nutro for all my dogs and have been with Nutro ever since. It has definitely exceeded my initial expectations.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I have 2 healthy dogs - a 6 yr old Westie and a 4 yr old Maltese/Wheaton - Terrier mix. Bought new bag/flavor of Nutro Chicken Adult dog food a couple of weeks ago from PetSmart. Four-year old Maltese/Terrier eats 1/3 more than Westie. She got sick first (on a Sunday) -- bad diarrhea with blood in her stools and then completely stopped eating, even white rice / chicken broth. Took her to dr and they put her on an oral antibiotic/probiotic. She got better slowly. While she was sick, I kept feeding Nutro food to Westie for 2-3 additional days, not realizing it was the food. Westie began exhibiting exact same symptoms on Friday. I took the food back to PetSmart and they gave me my $ back in full and asked me to call Nutro. Will do that immediately on the next business day. DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG NUTRO DOG FOOD. I will never give my dogs new dog food without doing much research beforehand.

Original review: March 26, 2017

Before I found this product I could not get my picky eater to eat anything other than table scraps. My veterinarian suggested trying this product. But, I did not have high expectations for this food because of the way my dog does not like dry food. However, I am now able to get my picky eater to eat this and it loves the taste. It also made his coat shiny and healthy. He is now overall more healthy after eating this product for the last 6 months. So much overall initial expectations were met and exceeded. I am very happy with this product and will continue to buy. The only thing that I did not like about this product was the price. But, I believe that this product is great and will pay for it.

Original review: March 26, 2017

My vet recommended Nutro High Protein-Grain Free and I have been very satisfied with this dog food product. My dog eagerly runs to his bowl to gobble it up. My dog loves it. Great quality, grain free, healthy, nutritious. I know I am giving my dog a food that will benefit his health. I feel like a smart consumer when I purchase this product. I have suggested to other dog owners they might want to purchase this dog food product for their own pet. This is a great dog food that delivers what it promises.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information