2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I have a 12 yr old Boston and a 14 yr old Doxie. They had dental done and needed soft food afterwards. I tried Nutro, my Doxie refuses to eat it. My Boston ate the Nutro w/out issue. Two weeks post Nutro, on Christmas Day, my Boston started seizing. She is a very healthy dog, besides being blind she is very healthy and acts like a pup still. Nothing else in her routine or diet has changed, we were able to pin it down to the Nutro is the only difference.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

My dog has been on Nutro Chicken dog food for approx 1-1/2 years. I opened a new bag and with in 24-36 hours my dog had severe diarrhea. I took him off of this and put him on boiled chicken and rice. I also took him to the Vet and was told after antibiotics to slowly put him back on this dog food. After 10 days I did this only to have it come back yet again 24-36 hours later! This was a brand new bag that I opened in the beginning. I took him back to the vet and they put him on a RX dog food and more antibiotics. Now we did blood work up. I contacted Nutro and they wanted a sample of the dog food only to tell me there was nothing wrong with it. It was never tested I am sure. My dog had pancreatitis which I am sure is related to this food. My dog also has high cholesterol. I will never use anything from Nutro again!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I have had my baby on this food her whole life. Thinking it was the best thing I could do for her. She was diagnosed with a heart problem and died 2 weeks ago. Then I read this article my vet told me and this food killed my baby. Beware!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

We've fed our dog Nutro since adopting him in January 2019. He's had worsening facial hair loss since we've had him and seen veterinary dermatologists, was on monthly shots since May to curb itching during allergy season, and the balding spots on his body improved completely but not on his face by his eyes. In September all of a sudden he started vomiting after every meal, almost immediately after eating. We thought it was because he was drinking too much water too fast right after eating, so over a week we reduced the amounts of water he had access to. But it kept happening and he was getting less moisture, so we added cooked white rice 50/50 with the Nutro dry food. This helped some, but in this last week it has not. He started vomiting completely undigested, full servings of his meals up to 4 hours after eating them. His eye also looks worse suddenly.

Our vet said this could be due to sensitivity of his stomach and I looked up the food brand on here to find stories that were similar. Maybe it's the food, or maybe just a bad choice for our dog, but I wanted to add our experience with Nutro here for the record. We've decided to switch his food permanently to one for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I started feeding my dog Nutro canned food and for the first few days it was okay. After about 4 days of eating it, she developed horrible, uncontrollable diarrhea. I switched back to a different food and the diarrhea has gone away.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I slowly switched my dog and cat to Nutro after reading all of the good reviews. I did as directed and started mixing smaller to larger amounts into their existing food, until they were both completely on Nutro. The cat adult indoor chicken and brown rice recipe, and the dog lamb and rice small bites are the foods we switched to. My dog has been throwing up bile and has had soft yellow stools, and my cat has been vomiting her kibble up. My cat has never been one to vomit, and understandably, she started avoiding her food. My dog doesn’t get scraps and has never had stomach issues. Both animals started having the same issues after we switched foods.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My small dog was on her second bag of this dog food when she became to eat grass every time she went outside, vomiting in the middle of the night, had diarrhea, was losing weight, and was not her hyper self. After doing some research on this dog food, I found out that it has been proven by the FDA that this dog food causes heart failure in dogs and cats, plus has been recalled numerous times.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

We bought Nutro Wholesome Essentials (Small Breed - Adult - Flavor Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Recipe) for our pomeranian and the bag we bought made all of our dogs sick. Especially my pomeranian Biggie. He started out with black tarry loose stool that turned to a yellow diarrhea before turning to straight watery blood after 48 hours. My dog vomited twice and was in pain. We paid $400 to two vet hospitals to get my pom treated. We paid for blood tests and were given antibiotics that we are praying works for him along with a prescribed bland diet. We were ordered to stop feeding our dogs Nutro. When we came home from the vet we discovered our other dogs sick with yellow diarrhea because they were also eating Nutro. After we stopped feeding the food the dogs Nutro the vomiting and diarrhea stopped being sick.

I contacted Smart and Final in Camarillo where the product was bought to let them know what happened and that store pulled the product off shelves. I filed a formal complaint with the store in an effort to have the SKU removed from all Smart and Final stores. Nutro is dangerous and should be taken off shelves. I'm reporting to Consumer Affairs, BBB, and anyone else that will help in filing a formal complaint against Nutro further poisoning dogs with their substandard food quality. NUTRO IS TOXIC! BEWARE. Many recent consumer comments reporting dog poisoning.

Attached are photos of the Nutro Dog Food bag.
Info For Poison Bag of NUTRO Food Purchased with SKU:
Nutro -Feed Clean - Wholesome Essentials -Small Breed - Adult - Farm Raised Chicken, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato.
Bar Code SKU: 079105122177
Best By: May 20, 2020 (28_2)

921C2VICO8 17:22 CAPF00024

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I started 2 of my 3 dogs on Nutro weight management (chicken formula) a few months ago as it was listed as a recommended product from my vet. They did not seem to have any issues and did lose a few pounds. HOWEVER..when I went to purchase a second bag, Petsmart only had the Lamb and rice formula. Because I was completely out, I purchased it. Within a few days, one of the 2 started getting up in the middle of the night to vomit. It had some full sized kibble in it. The food didn't occur to me as the source because I didn't change brands, only protein source. Two weeks later, my 2nd guy started to vomit. He has a tough tummy.

At the same time, my little Pomeranian was having diarrhea and I couldn't figure out why because her food had not changed. What I have since realized is that the Pomeranian was eating the kibble that fell from the big guy's bowls. Now that I've had them on a bland diet AND switched off of Nutro all together, all 3 dogs are completely fine. I was saddened to see so many similar stories and NO recalls or warnings. What more can we do here? The Petsmart manager said "unless the FDA has a direct correlation, we won't pull it". Ugh.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I've been feeding my 5 y/o Boston Terrier Nutro Max since December of 2017. I had no complaints until now. I started using a new bag about 4 days ago. The first feeding he vomited up undigested food. Same the next day. He's been eating very little of it. Last night he started vomiting up bile, and has been doing so steady throughout the night and this morning. I will be changing food and no longer using this brand.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information