Nutro Dog Food
1.96/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

3033 Nutro Dog Food Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We fed our dog Nutro dry dog food since she was a pup. Normally purchased the food at Petsmart. In November of 2018 I discovered that Walmart started carrying the same food, still branded Nutro in the exact same bag, for several dollars cheaper. Those of you that know Nutro realize this food is not cheap. Within a week my dog started getting sick - at that time we did not suspect that it was the food. She continued to eat it and became sicker. With Vets input we changed food and there was much improvement in her BM - from water to a paste. Later discovered it was in fact the Nutro HOWEVER we caught it too late (please mind that this dog was taken to the vet on a regular basis and no illness was ever ignored, or treatment postponed).

Tried to contact Nutro without any response whatsoever. I did learn that they changed the contents of the food when they went for the mass market Walmart appeal to lower their production cost. Stay away fro this brand and this company. They don't care two ** about animals not even to the point of responding to assist you in saving your dogs life. Had I been able to find out what changed, we would have been able to treat her for the poison they package! Instead of petting my 3 year old Rottie, I now get to look at the urn in which she is placed. May she rest in peace and Nutro go down in flames!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

These treats gave all 3 of my dogs food poisoning, one of them almost died. This company will not respond to anything about this experience and denied this experience even after I provided them with the vet bill/notes showing that they had food poisoning. Do not buy these treats. Their treats have been recalled in the past. These treats are dangerous!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

We have a 10-year old Pomeranian. He has been on Nutro for about 8-years now and he really loves it! We get the Nutro Max Grain Free Mini Chunks (great for small dogs!) and the senior Hearty Stews wet food. He does great on this diet and has lots of energy and excellent fur coat. When our vet let us know to switch him over to senior food we could not find the mini-chunks in senior. Turns out they do not produce this. Our vet stated it would be OK to keep him on the adult mini-chunks but to switch his wet food to the senior option. This seems to work fine. I would recommend to Nutro to make all of their wonderful dry foods with a mini-chunk size for those of us with smaller dogs.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My dog had a severe reaction to a flea and tick medication last fall. He’s an 8 lb long hair chihuahua. He lost 1/3 of his total body hair — developed quarter-sized sores on his skin with a severe case of seborrhea. His skin was literally peeling off of him. He stopped eating or drinking for a couple of days so we rushed him to the vet. Put on antibiotics and a fungicide — prescribed Douro Seborrhea Shampoo and we decided to do an allergy test on him for foods. After force feeding him canned food by hand for a week, he finally recovered. The allergy tests came back and the results were shocking — he was highly allergic to 19 foods out of a 25 item panel. The only thing he was NOT allergic to was lamb, beef and rabbit — that’s it. So the hunt was on for a kibble that had severely limited ingredients. After researching for a month, I finally settled on Nutro Limited Ingredient Lamb and Sweet Potato Small Bites.

Not only did it contain stuff he could eat, but the combination of ingredients was specifically formulated to help skin heal and thicken up hair. Within 2-3 weeks, my dog’s hair started regrowing and SO much thicker and shinier than it ever was before. It was noticed by my vet and the groomer. He absolutely loves the food and we even use the little kibble bits to treat him. I’ve never seen him react so positively to any food before. I was so impressed with this food, I called Nutro just to tell them about the positive experience I had with their product and how much my dog loved it. Nutro for life — I’ll never purchase any other brand.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Bought a bag of Nutro thinking it was quality food. Started feeding it to my GSD on Thursday and almost immediately she started with diarrhea. It's now Sunday and it has got so bad that she is suffering. I have come to the conclusion it's the Nutro food because she was fine before I started feeding her this. The dry food is the only change made to her diet so it must be this Nutro dry causing her problem. Now I have to throw away an almost full bag of food. Not risking feeding her any more of this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Earlier this year, my young dog started itching and I was wondering about a food allergy. She was on Nutro Small Bites for adults. Food allergies are a tricky thing to diagnose, but after reading all the horrid reviews, we decided to make a change and we just put her on Castor & Pollux brand. She hasn't had any problems since. Since my senior was doing well on his food that he had eaten for over 5 years, we continued giving Him the Nutro Senior.

We buy food at the commissary, not a big box store, so my hypothesis is we have been buying reserve food and finally caught up with the current production that is making dogs puke and giving diarrhea. We opened a new bag last week and he was dry heaving like he was sick and had bloody stool at first. I didn't know he was on a new bag as my husband takes care of that, but when the projectile diarrhea started, my husband admitted he was on a fresh bag of food and we may have caught up to everyone else. We moved my senior to the Castor & Pollux food and I was confused because they don't have a senior line but it says on the packaging it's for all stages, making it really easy to just buy and serve!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I purchased Nutro Dog Food on Saturday, 1/5/19 at the Walmart in Sevierville, TN. I fed a total of 4 cups to my puppy, 2 cups per meal time. This was my first time purchasing Nutro Dog Food of any type. I read the ingredients, I liked the packaging and I felt that the food would be good for my puppy. My puppy consumed all 4 cups of the puppy food. Later that evening, she became very lethargic; no jumping and running around, no smiling, no licking, and no playing.

However, she had an extreme thirst for that evening and all of the following day, Sunday, 1/6/19. So we gave her DOUBLE the amount of water we normally give her the latter part of Saturday, all day Sunday, and Monday morning. No thinking it was the dog food, when I gave her 2 cups of Nutro puppy food on Sunday morning, 1/6/19, she would not eat it. In fact, she did not eat all day, but she had massive bowel movements all day Sunday and it continued Monday morning, 1/7/19. After her last massive poop on Monday, 1/7/19, she started feeling much better. Around 11:00 am on 1/7/19, she became hungry for the first time in over 24 hours. We fed our puppy baked chicken and rice, she returned to her normal self. We will never, ever feed her Nutro dog food.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My dog ate for a few weeks, then one day started throwing up yellow bile and had bloody diarrhea for about a week. I took her to the vet and she got Rx dog food, antibiotics and a clean bill of health. Assumed it was something she might have eaten off the street (this happened before because of that, we live in a city), so never thought it would be the dog food. She stopped wanting to eat it so much after that, but I thought perhaps because it was a weight management formula (so less tasty?). Anyway, she spent time at my mother's house where she ran out of this dog food and ate my mother's dog's food and gobbled that up and had no problems. We came home and two days back into this dog food she is throwing up yellow bile and has bloody diarrhea again. After reading the reviews, clearly it's this food! Will never buy Nutro again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My dog has eaten this for a couple years. Lately she does not want to eat it. This last bag I purchased, she ate for two days, twice a day. Each time she got sicker and sicker. The last time after throwing up, she was literally foaming at the mouth. I cleaned it off and watched for several hours as her nose and mouth had excess dripping and saliva dripping. My dog never, ever has nasal or saliva dripping. She was very ill. I have not fed her any more and changed her food. She now eats happily and is doing much better. I thought I was buying her one of the best foods on the market but now I know better. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Came to the site looking for answers regarding diarrhea, I'm sure 100% is the Nutro small bites because both of my dogs got sick at the same time, same day of making the switch, I have Schnauzers. They will go back to their old food tomorrow.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Introduced my dog to Nutro and within a few days she started having diarrhea and bloody stools. Switched her back and she seems to be doing better. I see many reviews with the same problem. Don't buy this poison.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We have had a healthy happy active dog. Even at 12 years old people are always shocked at how young he acts. We have fed him Nutro for a while now, and this last batch has cost us hundreds in vet bills. He started vomiting yellow bile, pooping blood and mucus, then it escalated to bloody vomit all within a week of starting this bag. We had no idea what was causing this. Took him to vet, and they could not find anything wrong after a bunch of tests. Put him on a bland rice and chicken diet and he was great for 2.5 weeks. We slowly introduced the Nutro back in and 2 days later he vomited more blood than before. It took him 2 days to snap out of whatever daze he was in. This food would have killed him. NEVER NEVER GIVE THIS FOOD TO ANY PET.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

While traveling home from West Virginia for work I remembered we were almost out of puppy food for our Labradoodle. I stopped at a Rural King and decided to try the Nutro puppy food. Mixed it with the remaining food but by the third day he was vomiting about 90 minutes after eating as well as acting like a old dog not a puppy. I first thought he found something outside and ate it while going out to do his business but not the case. After Googling I found all these other reviews and the problems from 2008 and stopped giving the food. Made a emergency run to the pet store and switch to another brand. So far so good. No problems. He is back to bouncing off the walls

I did call Nutro. They sent me a email requesting a lot of information off the bag which I just sent them. Also said they would reimburse me for the food so hold on to your bag and give them a call. Maybe they can find the problem and others will not have to go through this. Even though I probably won’t try it again. I don’t really enjoy cleaning up vomit. Enough for a second chance. Nutro is also owned by Mars Incorporated which I just find weird.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been buying this for my dog for years, but recently she has been vomiting up the food, bile only! She even got to the point she wouldn’t eat at all, so I have been giving her boiled chicken and rice for a few weeks now and no problem. Poop is back to normal and she’s not eating grass or lethargic anymore. Please stop feeding this product to your animals. This is insane. I purchased the food at Walmart here in Virginia.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We have been using Nutro brand dog food (adult /lamb) for about 6 months. I've noticed my dog has been vomiting a few times a week, sometimes only a few times a month. Originally I thought it could have been the breath freshener drops I was adding to the water; however, we discontinued this product 3 months ago and the vomiting has continued. Unfortunately I located a series of questionable reviews dating back over 10 years when the company was under investigation for dog illness and death. I will be switching products.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I've been feeding my now 15 year old Jack Nutro for almost 2 years now. About a week ago she started becoming lethargic and hiding under furniture, which is totally out of character for her even at her age. Shes a jack and always been very active. She then started vomiting only bile and pretty violently and stopped wanting to eat her kibble (also out of character). I switched her to rice and boiled meat as I was worried she was starving and she gobbled it up, no appetite problems there. The next day I mixed a little bit of the kibble with some warm water and wet food. All she would do is lick the food and then pick out the kibble and spit it on the ground. This is when I knew it had to be something wrong with the kibble. Saw other reviews having the same problem as me and I discontinued feeding her the Nutro kibble right away. Slowly her bowel movements have been improving along with her mood. It's a big "No" for me from this point on.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My mini schnauzer, like the other reviewer's dogs, was on Nutro and it made him ill. He was quiet and kind of depressed looking, not active, then came the diarrhea with mucous and blood and lots of it (I was having to clean his rear by hosing it off or showering him, then wiping/blotting dry) - none of which is his norm. I was buying small Nutro bags at my local Stop N Shop Food store after his last food wasn't holding his interest, thought I'd switch him off for a while then eventually go back. I kept him on this poison for almost 3 weeks before making the connection.

The timeline was exact between starting Nutro and any symptoms. The diarrhea and blood got worse and worse, he would go out frequently yet still had several accidents in house, had an uncontrollable urgency to go. When I finally realized and stopped Nutro the blood lessened right away and was gone within about 24 hours. He's still not 100% health wise but improving. Its been almost a week. Some diarrhea at times but not with urgency, no blood, no more accidents in house. Signs of his old personality peek through, but this really did a number on him, so still waiting to see him back to normal.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

For over a month my dog had been vomiting bile every day. I thought it was the usual dog hair vomit from her constant licking so I let it go. I finally took her to the vet and he suggested Hills Prescription Diet canned food. He also gave me a prescription for vomiting. I gave her one dose of the prescription and fed her the canned food. It was almost immediate that her demeanor changed and she hasn’t vomited once since the food change. I suspected it might be the food because she would eat it toward the end of the day but it was almost because she felt like it was better than nothing and I really thought she was avoiding it.

Poor dog. $320 later I google Nutro Dog Food and found tons of complaints with the same vomiting complaints and worse. Do NOT feed your dog Nutro. I am convinced this was the culprit all along. I wish I had saved myself the trip to the vet and read the reviews here first. Her bloodwork came back fine so clearly the stomach/digestive issues were the food.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We have a 4 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. She has been the perfect eater since a Pup, Never missed a meal. Never turned her nose up to a meal. Just recently we switched her food up as we have done in the past and decided to try Nutro. Our dog who will eat anything without an issue, eats this food when she is given it, But instantly gets sick right after eating it. We give her boiled white rice and chicken right after this and it goes down and stays down. The Vet was thinking she has a bug, but suggested the rice and chicken to see her response, So we have narrowed it down to the Nutro food. This bag was purchased in the Maryland Eastern shore region, And consumers should stop this food the minute they see their Pet have a reaction to it. We all Love our pets and the Dog food industry should be more regulated as to how these foods are prepared.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I just switched to Wild Frontier Vital Prey Diet by Nutro about a month ago along with people food some of the time. I just purchased the bigger cans & have been giving my Pomeranian more of the Wild Frontier dog food... Well she started getting runny dark stools, diarrhea and acting like she doesn't feel good...so I started looking up what could be causing it and switched her off the Nutro [Wild Frontier] and any other Nutro...feeding her turkey, pumpkin, a little plain yogurt. It cleared right up and I will not risk feeding her Nutro products again!!!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Was visiting family and their doodle had periodic bouts of diarrhea which I did not believe was normal. They had been using pumpkin as a supplement to help their dog improve their stool. We switched her off of the Nutro Lamb and rice and successfully this pup improved. I did a search on Nutro and Diarrhea and was very happy to see that there is an explanation with all of the experiences that others are having. Though it takes time, it is critically important to package a bag and take to your vet for them to document to the FDA for further investigation.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

In August, we switched our dog very gradually to Nutro (mostly Chicken, Rice and Sweet Potato, but we tried a bag of Salmon as well). By mid-September, we had switched over completely and our dog started having loose stools. There was a bloody fluid coming from his rear, which we figured was from his anal gland. We took him to the vet to have his gland expressed and they were alarmed by the blood, which they said was not coming from the gland, and put him on an antibiotic. We also saw some mucus in his stool. Even after the antibiotic, his stools remained very soft for a number of days, so we switched back to his old food. Within 3 days on his old food, his stools were back to normal. I'm fairly confident there was something wrong with the Nutro we were feeding him.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

In 2007 there was a huge recall due to melamine on grain coming from China. IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN!!! We normally have our dog food delivered, but we messed up on dates, so we picked up a bag of Nutro, as we've always used them in the past. After a few days, our pups (2 Lab mixes) were periodically throwing up bile. Always in the morning before eating, so we thought that because the % of protein/fat/etc were different, they needed more. The vomiting did not stop and they seemed a little lethargic (it has been raining, and they don't like rain, so it didn't seem out of the ordinary). After almost getting thrown up on my head because my bot couldn't get off the bed fast enough, I was looking into a possible formula change and saw all these reviews.

I dug more and found the FDA Import alert and the melamine issue caused all those deaths in 2007. Nutro needs to act NOW instead of the blanket response of "please contact us...we're so sorry to hear your pets are not feeling well". Bland diet of chicken, rice, and pumpkin, and my pooches are started to act like themselves again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

This food has made our dog extremely sick. Vomiting, diarrhea and extreme blood in her stool. Please do not feed your pets this until something is fixed. I thank everyone on here for sharing. This food within 2 weeks dropped our playful pet to the ground. Thankfully with help and diet change she lives another day. Nutro please fix or change your business.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

We have used this product since summer 2017 with no issue. When we opened our newest bag, shipped by Chewy.com on 9/9/18, our dog wouldn’t touch it, no matter how hungry she was. I researched reviews online and found many people writing that their dogs had become critically ill in August and September, with no cause for the illness found. While there is not definitive proof that this food was the culprit, it seemed to be the only common factors among the dogs.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

After reading all these horrible reviews, I now understand why my dog (Golden Retriever) has been so sick!! Has anyone gone after Nutro, and if so, what has been the response?? We just had her to the vet and received a very large bill! Nutro needs to be accountable for this!! I can’t believe how sick these poor dogs have become. It’s obviously since the bag change, I have used this food for years!! Get it off the shelves Nutro!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We have been feeding nothing but Nutro for 11 years. In late July of this year we started having diarrhea issues with our 6 yr old chocolate lab. He is quite the indiscriminate eater and will pick up things in the yard and chow down on them so we did not think much of it. We took him to the vet, got some meds and off we went on the journey of a week of meds. Then our 11 yr old chocolate lab came down with diarrhea. We took her in and they said tummy bug so they gave her the same meds. All along, the vets are telling us this is either bug/parasite related or dietary. I insisted all along that it should not be dietary because they have been on the same food all of their lives and it did not make sense in my own head just what could have suddenly gone wrong with the food that now and only now were we having issues with diarrhea.

Here we are just over 2 months later and about $600 or more at the vet (mind you I do not care about the cost, it is the principle of the matter) and we have bounced back and forth between the two furbabies having watery diarrhea. We have gone through at least 6 scrips of ** for each of them and then we also added a broad spectrum dewormer/anti-parasitic to the mix. After we started that broad spectrum med, we had to give another dose two weeks later. Just a day or so before round 2 of that medication, the diarrhea came back full force for both of them (we had not at this point changed any food because I was insistent that it should not have been the food...silly, naive me).

Once we knew that our only other choice was to try a food switch we started the transition. I went to the store and got some Science Diet that is specifically formulated for each of their ages and we started the transition period so as not to upset their tummies even more. Knocking on wood and crossing my fingers and praying to the good Lord above, stools are currently better than ever and they seem to be doing well on the new food...

HERE IS THE KICKER THAT IS GOING TO CAUSE ME I AM SURE A TON OF RESEARCH THAT I WILL RELENTLESSLY DO UNTIL I FIND OUT THE ISSUE... Nutro recently did a "bag design change" and I have to wonder if they did any type of formulary change to the food itself. It does not make sense to me that anything else could have contributed to such a large issue since we are currently doing just fine on the new food. I have to wait a couple more weeks just to be sure but how do I know for sure if the formula has changed? I do not have labels from previous bags and by looking at this page, the company is not going to admit to anything. Please let me know if this reaches you and what you think I should do to dig for the truth.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I just found these comments and I am horrified. Here's my story: My Yorkie is 9 years old and has had an exclusive diet of Nutro small and toy breed dry food her entire life. Never any issues until this year. March 2018 my dog became deathly ill. Vomiting, lethargic, diarrhea, lots of blood loss in stools. Vet was baffled... thought she might have just picked up a virus. It appeared to clear up after extensive medical care ($700). It never occurred to us that it was the Nutro food. Fast forward to September 2018 my dog became ill with the same symptoms again only this time she could barely stand on her own. Emergency visit to the Vet this past weekend ($650)... Vet still can't determine what is causing it.

I now believe that she was poisoned by this food. I will not be feeding her any products from Nutro ever again. Based on all the other complaints posted here where other fur babies have suffered from the same symptoms, Nutro should be reimbursing me for the vet bills. I could have lost my beloved pet. NUTRO better start researching what is in their food that is causing all these dogs to get so violently sick with the same symptoms.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Our dogs have been eating this for 3 years. Our female vomited and seemed lethargic. She was ok next day. I continued feeding dogs. I noticed all month they aren't finishing their food as they normally did. They eat a few bites and walk away. I think the formula changed.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Like many other reviews, about 4 weeks ago, my dog too got immediately sick after switching to this dog food. After one day, she had diarrhea and had a LOT of blood in her stool. I finally figured out it was the food in her stool, soaked with blood. After a vet bill of over $350, I ruled out any other infection or bacteria...it just was this bad food. Please do not give this food to your precious furry babies...they can die from it!!!

Nutro Dog Food Company Information