Nutro Dog Food
2.10/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Nutro Dog Food

The Nutro Company has been committed to creating natural and delicious dog food since 1926. As pioneers in the natural pet food industry, each ingredient is carefully chosen with a purpose, to provide the best nutrients for man's best friend.

We know your dog's health is important to you, and it's our promise to deliver quality dog food at a price that won't break the bank. You can trust that our ingredients and processes are carefully monitored so you can focus on enjoying time with your best friend. Read what our customers have to say and then check us out for yourself!

View More View More

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

Original review: July 1, 2017

I like Nutro Dog Wild Frontier because it is all natural and gives additional nutrients to the ones she needs. She also loves the taste and likes to try all of the new flavors. The brand also happens to be gluten free but I would also like for them to increase the variations of flavors that they provide and maybe even add a mix of meats, vegetables and grains to give a balanced diet. Not only has it met my expectations it has gone far and beyond my initial response and has remained a staple brand in my dog’s diet and so long as they continue to provide me with value and variety I will continue to use them.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I like that Nutro Original Formula uses real meat, clean ingredients, etc. in their products, which are healthier for my dogs. I try to feed my dogs the best quality of dog food I can because I want them to live happy, long lives. My vet recommended it to me and I trust his opinion so I started buying it and my dogs really liked it. Nutro has definitely exceeded my expectations and best of all my dogs enjoy it. The only thing I don't like about Nutro is that it is too expensive. The product itself is very high quality. Also, Nutro isn't always available where I shop which is a little frustrating.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 30, 2017

It is often hard to find certain brands of food outside of a specialty pet store. I like that I'm able to find the Nutro Wild Frontier at chain stores as well. I also like the price for the quality of food. I like that it comes in a variety of meat options and that meat is the main ingredient. However, I wish that there was a beef or bison option of meat. My dogs don't like chicken and beef would be a good alternative. Also, the size of the kibble could be bigger. But I like the caloric content and the fact that it's grain free.

Original review: June 30, 2017

The food was all natural and had good ratings on the reviews I had read about. I also saw the price was comparable to other choices. There were many varieties to choose from. My expectations were to have it as their main food which did not work out due to their stomach problems with the food. Something was hard for their stomachs. It was also not readily available for me.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Nutro Original Formula: It's a hearty food for dogs and my dog is pleased. It has a good nutritional value and I trust that my pet is getting a healthy meal. My pet likes it very much, and seems excited to be eating it. Nutro is a respected brand and I know that I am making a good choice for my pet. However, the cost is higher than I like to pay. This is something that might hold me back in making a purchase, as I need to watch my finances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: June 30, 2017

We have Huskies. They do best without grains in their diets, and most foods have grains. All the added fillers are not really very good for them. With grain free there are far less fillers and unneeded grains to bog up my dogs' digestion. Nutro Grain Free has met all of our expectations and the dogs love it. We have tried several grain free options, including Blue Buffalo and they hated it. They would only eat it for about a week before refusing. They are very stubborn and would actively avoid their food. But that has stopped since switching to Nutro. I would like to see more options for proteins though. Chicken is a leading allergen for dogs, so a broad range of proteins helps pick something that works better for each dog.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Nutro Grain Free was recommended to me at a pet store. I liked the ingredient list and the quality at the time I first purchased it. I liked that it used to be exclusive to non-chain stores. However something in the food made my dog's breath stink, we switched brands and it improved.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have tried their products before and always get good and consistent results. I mainly like how much my dogs really enjoy it. They act so excited when I feed them this brand of food (Nutro Farm's Harvest). But maybe improve more flavor variety. Other than that it is very good.

Original review: June 30, 2017

High Protein-Grain Free: It's from a reputable company that specializes in grain free pet food, and the flavor combinations are awesome, as well as the price. It's also natural, grain free, no artificial colors, preservatives or added ingredients. It went beyond what I expected, my dogs love it, and all 3 are picky eaters. I had given up hope of finding a grain free dog food, that was natural & good for my dogs, and one they would eat. Nutro fixed that problem in a jiffy, they immediately liked it, and still continue to like it today.

Only thing I would do, is sell in bigger bags, it's a problem I run into frequently. I find a grain free food, that I'm comfortable feeding my dogs, one that they enjoy & will eat, and it comes in tiny bags. I just don't like having to buy it every week because of the small size of the bags. Pet food companies need to think about convenience as well, if they have a good product then make it convenient for the pet owner as well, common sense tells you, if your pets are happy, the owners are happy & they will be repeat customers.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I saw a commercial about this product then I saw it on my local supermarket shelves. The pictures looked appealing so I bought the Nutro Wild Frontier for my dog. I like that it's healthy and it's something made from natural products and I feel safe feeding this product to my dog. She seems to enjoy this product more than other. This is why I chose to buy this product. Best decision I have made. But I do have some dislikes and that would include the smell. It's a strong smell to get used to after a while and that's my number one turn off with this product.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I like the ways to purchase Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free, food taste, strict control of raw materials, selection of fresh edible raw materials, to ensure that all raw materials not containing antibiotics, hormones and other harmful substances. Of course, the product also does not contain any preservative ingredients.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I like that it is made with real meat and it contains no fillers and my dogs enjoy it very much. It is a high performing food for all stages of dog's life and it is the healthiest that is why I buy it and it comes in all the forms I want in a dog food for my dogs. It's grain free and my dogs love it. It's better than any other foods on the market today. Also, it has a high rating.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I usually try to stay with the same brand so my pets don't get sick. However, I tried Nutro Original Formula because I have heard about it from veterinary people in hospitals and pet shelters. I like the product presentation. I also like the reputation and feel good about how long they've been in business. I also like that the people recommending the food have qualifications. But I don't like the price and ease of access. I was around people with more disposable income at the time. I'm usually more frugal. But I want the best for my pet. I feel good about feeding the food to my dog.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Grain Free - I like that the ingredient list is fairly healthy and that it is reasonably affordable. I also like that my dog likes it and readily eats the food whenever I give it to her. But I would add more variety of different meat based protein sources and fewer fillers. I would prefer it included more fat and decreased the carbohydrates. I have come to believe too that there are probably better foods at about the same price point. Although Nutro has decent ingredients and isn't the worst food on the market, it could definitely be better.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I initially chose to buy this brand (Nutro Lite & Weight Management) because a friend told me that her picky pooch gobbled it up and he looked healthier since she started feeding it to him. To my eye, it doesn't look very appetizing, but my dog seems to like the flavor and it seems to be keeping him healthy, active and nurtured. It doesn't have a foul smell and the package doesn't look greasy like some other dog food packages tend to look. The price is a little steep though. I only purchase it because my dog seems to enjoy it and it seems to be good for him.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My favorite features of the Nutro Dog Food are the focus on lots of protein and straightforward ingredients. We are avoiding and minimizing grain and fillers as one of our dogs has suspected food allergies so that was appealing. While we were attracted to High Protein Grain Free, we also look for a little more interesting jazziness in the flavors/lines we try and choose for our dogs. The line could use more interesting or appetizing flavors. It might be more to appeal to me than the dog but that's what draws me in a bit more.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Nutro Farm's Harvest is very reasonable and affordable. It has simple ingredients that I can feel good about feeding to my dogs. I also love grain free, healthy weight, healthy joints and different flavors to choose from that gives my dogs a bit of variety.

Original review: June 29, 2017

The High Protein-Grain Free has a good price and I am also offered a seventh free bag (large size). Something interesting in times of crisis. I buy two varieties, the original and the light (although they tell me that it is not effective, I will try, the medium dog is quite chubby and has the ration already very tight).

Original review: June 29, 2017

I chose to purchase Nutro Dog Food Original Formula after seeing a 20/20 type show investigative piece... Most dog foods are basically rendered fat, corn, flour, and MAYBE some meat flavoring. Nutro looks and smells pleasant, looks like 'real' ingredients, dog seems to love it. Offers good, healthy nutrition for my dog. Has high meat content. Has low cereal or corn-based filler content than other "premium" brands. I also like the fact that it is available in multiple sizes, not just the huge 50 pound bags. However, I don't like the varying cost, as much as a 100 percent variance between retailers. I also hate limited availability in my area, should be available at more farm/Rural King/Tractor Supply Company type store, not just high end grocers and big box stores.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I like that it contains plenty of protein for my dogs to enjoy. I like the way my dogs anticipate the dog food by being right there when I am serving them jumping and very playful. The company makes very interesting and enjoyable dog food products that provide healthy and tempting foods that dogs see as very tasty and delicious to consume over and over. I feel that Nutro Wild Frontier Dog Food product is an essential part of my dogs' diet.

I would like the Nutro Dog Food to improve their products by adding more meaty products and more essential vitamins that will keep my dogs healthier and fully active. I would like to see the Nutro Dog Food product packaging made more attractive and tempting for me to purchase above all other products that are available in the stores because it would make it easier to decide whether the products are better than the other products that are currently available in the stores. Nevertheless, I have chosen Nutro Dog Food because I feel that this product has extremely awesomeness ingredients and has exceeded my expectations of the product. Since I started giving my dogs Nutro Dog Food products I have seen that my dogs always eat all of their food that I have always served them time after time.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I liked the size of the pieces of the Nutro Wild Frontier but I didn't like how dry it was. It should be moistened and somewhat soft to the touch with real meat inside not artificially flavored chunks. Also should have real vegetables inside with multi vitamins and protein. Me and my dog are not satisfied with this product. We are very unhappy. The meat was artificial and the veggies were also too dry, maybe old and stale. I purchased this brand because I saw a commercial about it but my dog didn't really like it. He flipped his bowl over and refused to eat it for three days. I would like my money back.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I like that there is a grain free option that is made without chicken. My dog has allergies and he enjoyed this food and did not have an adverse reaction. It's available in many stores and I liked that is was not as expensive as other grain free options and still seemed like a quality product. The packaging is done well. It has good size kibbles for my Labrador retriever. I have found that my dog does best with grain free fish based foods but he doesn't always want salmon. He gets bored with it and white fish options are difficult to find though. Adding more flavor combinations that are poultry free would be great as well. Grain free selections aimed at specific life points or muscle needs would be awesome too. Directed ordering and auto delivery to the house would also be nice. Coupons or rewards programs for dog food are always nice too. Overall I like the brand.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I saw Nutro Dog Food on the shelf and read the ingredients on the back and knew it was for my pets. One of my dogs has sensitivities to the preservatives in other foods and he does just fine with Nutro. I like that it is wholesome, grain free and free of preservatives or ingredients that would be harmful to my pets. I know that I am feeding my dogs something that is good for them. On the other hand, I would make a small breed formula with smaller kibble. The kibble size now either must be soaked or broken up so my dogs can eat it. Other than that I think it's a great food.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I was recommended this brand by another dog owner when I got my dog. After using Nutro Grain Free, I noticed a great change and will never go back. It has exceeded my expectations. My dog enjoys it and it is grain free which makes it healthier for her to eat. It keeps her coat nice and she loves the taste of it and eats every little morsel. The only thing I dislike about it is the price. It is more expensive than others, but that it gives my dog so many benefits is worth the extra price. I would still like the see the price come down though.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I was buying other things from the Nutro brand and wanted to try this specific variety (High Protein-Grain Free). Also I wanted to make sure I gave my dog a healthier options. I like the trusted brand and it has a long history of being healthy and relevant. My dog likes the taste and it also has added health benefits.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I like that Nutro Dog Food is well balanced and provides a good diet. The flavors are flavors I knew my dog would enjoy. It was also High Endurance which is great for my active dog. The packaging said all of the things I was looking for such as well balanced. It is made for a dog like mine. I expected it to be great and it very much was indeed.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My dog was developing pancreatitis so I needed a dog food with low fat, but high protein. Nutro High Protein-Grain Free delivered at 8% fat at the senior level which was perfect for us. It has the lowest fat content with the highest PPR value. They use real ingredients with no fillers. However, the price is a bit high for the large bag. It's the most expensive of the same high quality competitors. The kibble size and shape is inconsistent as well. It looks different every time I buy a new bag. But I think is a great product and my dogs love it.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Nutro Dog Food Original Formula had good reviews online, so I decided I would try it. I like reading reviews before trying new dog foods or treats. It is easy to find reviews on Amazon, Petco, etc. Nutro is healthy for my dog and he likes the taste of it. He finishes the entire bowl and it does not upset his stomach. It is also a complete meal with nutrients that are good for my dog. However, I’d like to increase the size of the package and lower the price to make it more affordable for dog owners. I would also like to buy it in bulk so I could save money.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Nutro High Protein Grain Free Dog Food is well nourished and has an attractive appeal. It is great for most, if not all of my animal's needs and desires to maintain his balance and focus at all times due to some special requirements and needs. However, I would prefer that there would be more weight in it. That way, the expenses would be justifiable for my purchases. I was referred to it by my friends and family. And also by the vet who treated my dog and attended to his needs at the time being.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Price and convenience were among the top features of Nutro Original Formula that we liked. It was easy to find and the price was right. It also smelled good enough to me. It met my expectations but my dog did not care much for it. She refused to eat and it came down to getting her food that she liked. I dont know if it had enough flavoring or she just was not used to the flavor. Nutro can increase the appeal to animals by not putting so much grain or carbs in it.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information