2. Pets

Nutro Dog Food

4.0/5 (718 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Nutro Dog Food

Click "Shop Now" to visit a retailer.

Pros

• Lists meat as first ingredient
  • Suitable for all life stages
  • Grain-free options

Cons

• Contains meat meals
  • Difficult for some dogs to digest

Bottom Line

Nutro Dog food available in a variety of textures and flavor profiles. Some reviews indicate the food might cause stomach issues.

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Nutro Dog Food Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nutro Dog Food?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NUTRO Pet Foods?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Nutro Lite and Weight Management was recommended and sold at the vet's office and can be found at most local pet shops. The food has help him achieve his weight goal and helps him maintain his weight which makes him heavier and will aid in his longevity. But I wish the weight/low cal food came in smaller bite size for smaller dog size. Also the bags are very neutral looking and could be missed if I was not looking for it specifically. Other than that, my dog likes the taste of the dog food and he has been able to take off a few pounds without being hungry.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I love that I can buy almost every variety in this dog food so my favorite pups have the nutrition they need. My family has used this brand of dog food for three generations so I know it can be trusted. And I always recommend this dog food to anyone that asks. The Nutro High Endurance itself is great but I have a picky eater and I need more flavor options. I also need a puppies and growing variety to help keep up with any babies or a senior variety to help my old guy.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I strive to feed my dog and other pets the best food possibly available. Nutro is non-GMO and 100% organic. Costs means nothing when it comes to helping my animals. Everyone should take the same care in choosing food for their pets. If not they don't need to own one. My puppy was allergic to other foods and so far this brand (Nutro high protein grain-free) has exceeded my expectations of this and other dog foods. Everything is great except the fact that it takes me 30 min to find the nearest store that sells this type of dog food. The drive alone is not fun at all and it’s frustrating. But at the same time the dog food is a must have for my dogs and other animals.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

My dog is enthusiastic about this food for its good taste, easy to chew, and he eats it twice a day. I do not worry that given the correct amount of food, he will not gain weight. Nutro provides complete nutrition without being high caloried and I like it very much. It is easy to handle because it is dry and I don't have to deal with messy cans. My dog is primarily a house dog, so keeping his weight down is important.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I like the healthy fiber in Nutro High Protein-Grain Free that is good for your dog. You want to have good vegetables and other healthy items so it has enough healthy stuff in there so we want to make sure we have more. When I tried it with my dog he seemed to like it a lot. It's a good blend or something is making him want to eat it and you want to make sure it's good. But Nutro should make the dog food tasty so that dogs will want to come back to it time and time again and make sure it has high healthy content so dog wants it consistently, I don't want to have to go buy different brands.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I like that Nutro offered different categories/types of food products for dogs of differing ages and that it was available as a dry form of dog food. I thought the packaging was attractive for purchase, and I liked that it was for weight management. But I would like to see more of a variety of flavors offered. I also wish that there should be a decrease in price or offer coupons and the calorie content was lower or somehow that it would have actually helped my pet lose weight and improve their health. New dogs need better weight control. I did not see a change in pets weight with Nutro and it did not meet my initial expectation that I would see my dog's weight decrease.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I like that Nutro Lite and Weight Management dog food is all natural with no corn or byproducts inside of it. The first main ingredients are normally something real and organic and not nasty ingredients used as a filler. But some months, I cannot afford it and I would love to keep my dog healthy. It is a little pricey and I get that it is all natural and that may cost a bit more. I was recommended it from a family friend and I also like to check the ingredients in my dogs foods to make sure I am not feeding them terrible stuff and that they are able to live happy and healthy lives.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I chose Nutro because it was less expensive than the Blue Buffalo brand we were buying and it seems to have similar quality. The Lite & Weight Management is low in calories but with proper nutrition and without artificial ingredients plus the price is not unreasonable.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is highly praised by other dog owners I talked to. I like the variety for other dogs and at different stages of their life. It meets every pet owner’s needs. I like the high protein and the no grain content. It’s a popular and natural and safe brand. I’d be willing to buy it for my pets. The kibble brand gives my dog the crunch that she enjoys as well as the care to keep her teeth and gums healthy as well as bone health, a shiny coat and her digestive system running smoothly. The vitamins inside the formula give her a healthy start to enjoy life. In spite of recent online reviews and some FDA investigations, I’d still try it and give it to my dogs. I’ve personally never had any problems, nor my dog. I just don’t see it on sale as much as the other brands and I would like larger package sizes. Overall it’s a great brand and product.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I chose Nutro Dog High Protein-Grain Free Food because my dog seems to really like this brand. The options offered are also one of a kind which further leads me to love it more. It has surprisingly exceeded my initial expectations which were rather high. I like this because there is no other product like this on the market. It take several hours in one day just to shop around to find this product, so it’s somewhat special. (Not only special for the dog per se.) I still love this product although I hate that this is rare on the market. But it’s always worth the purchase.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Our veterinarian suggested we try Nutro Lite & Weight Management. Formulated to control weight of our Pug who is a senior dog. No artificial flavors, colors preservative, non GMO and low calorie in a lamb and rice formula which has vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and nutrients to keep her healthy. It also gives her fiber and protein which she needs. And we were able to get her weight to an acceptable level. She went from 38 pounds to 30 pounds without starving for food and made our Vet happy. Dog enjoys this food and her digestive tract is healthy.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I like the Nutro Lite & Weight Management because it's made of more natural ingredients. And overall, Nutro is a healthier choice for my Dogs. It's a nice and inexpensive alternative to the Blue Buffalo. It was also available at the hardware store that I frequent. Less additives and fillers also made me interested in the brand. No frills, just good dog food. The packaging is pretty plain, and it's also not marketed as much as some of the other brands, but I really like the fact that they're more focused on producing a good product rather than a slick marketing campaign.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I like the overall texture of the High Protein-Grain Free in general. I feel as though this dog food brand does an above average job in providing consistent quality in terms of texture within its brand overall. But this brand could provide more options for dog owners to choose from by adding a more unique combination of flavors or different tastes to ultimately choose from when owners are selecting food for their dogs. It could really shake up the market industry for a more versatile dog food brand that provides more meat or grain flavors.

The Nutro Dog Food brand has initially met my expectations for healthy variety of dog food compared to other dog food brands. I have provided my dog with many other brands of dog food for a long time before selecting the Nutro Dog Food brand, but I find that this dog food is consistently healthy and generally good for my dog.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Our veterinarian recommended Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) and our dog likes it. I like that this dog food is made of high-quality and natural ingredients. It is healthier for my dog than a lot of other products on the market today and I am glad I can order it online. But I would like it to be available at more stores so I could pick it up whenever I was out instead of having to make a special trip to buy it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I wanted a better quality dog food intended for active dogs. The Nutro High Endurance has high protein and nutritional content for increased energy and improved health. Overall, the food is of excellent quality.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

My brother told me about Nutro High Protein-Grain Free. He said it was great and his dog loves it. He also said it must taste good because his dog ate it without stopping. The dog food is high in protein and it is grain free. It has the nutrition that I feel is the best for my dog. My dog seems to have more pep and energy when I feed her Nutro. But maybe there should be more flavors available for it so my dog would not get tired of always eating the same flavor.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) is one of the best brands out there. My dog loves it and in his old age we need to manage his weight. We also use the older product because of his age. He depends on me and Nutro is a great dog food. You pay more, but you get your money's worth.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Nutro is a top name brand that has a consistent track record of producing healthy products that are designed for dogs. My dog really seems to like the High Endurance and I also feel it is good for him and gives him vitamins and minerals that a growing dog needs to stay fit and lean. It is a quality dog food and is made for high endurance. The sizes of the packaging could contain more various sizes and amounts, though.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

The Nutro Dog Food was originally recommended to me by my veterinarian. Our oldest dog had gained a little too much weight, and our veterinarian suggested the Lite & Weight Management version of Nutro. It has definitely helped us manage our dog's weight. But I would like to see it packaged more securely. We often worry about getting those grain moths in our dog food, and they are sometimes difficult to combat. During the warmer months, we've taken to preemptively freezing our dog food before storing it in an airtight container. Other than that, I like that the Nutro Dog Food has small bites, because one of my dogs is a small breed. I also like the nutritional aspect of the dog food over other brands I've used in the past. And more importantly, my dogs really like the taste of their Nutro dog food.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My vet recommended I purchase the Nutro High Endurance. My dog was having dry skin problems along with irregular BM texture and smell and, I am overly happy that my vet offered such a great choice. I like plenty of things about Nutro dog food; it helps my dog to have a normal looking and smelling BM, I know exactly what is in the product, and my dog loves the taste of any Nutro product I have bought. I wish it could be less expensive but, that's what you get when your feeding your dog healthy food!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

It has no by-products or fillers and has all vitamins and nutrients needed for a healthy and happy dog. Allows for a better, productive and more nourishing feeding time and not eating just to fill the tummy. Also, great taste if my dog is eating it. The Nutro High Endurance makes my dog happy, therefore, it keeps both of us happy.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Dog's weight was decreasing. He was eating but he still lost weight. I bought Nutro High Protein-Grain Free and fed it only and he ate better. I like Nutro grain free dog food. It doesn't have the added fillers like other brands of dog food and it seems to be easier for my dog to digest. I bought Nutro to provide the essentials my dog needs to gain weight and he has gained 4 pounds so far and going. He likes it and seems to have more energy. I plan to feed only Nutro products. It has more than met my expectations and I have decided to put 9 of my dogs on it.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management was recommended to me by my vet. It has met my expectations as my dog has energy and has lost weight on the product. It is healthy for my dog and there has been no issues with him not eating it. Plus it is all natural and not grain based. Also, it is visually appealing. I like the product but the packaging branding could use some work. It does not seem modern enough. I think that a branding update would make it more appealing. I will continue to use the product though.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Nutro High Protein-Grain Free food met my initial expectation in that it is mostly made from natural protein that has not been added things like antibiotics. I liked the quite varied, different sources of protein, especially lamb and chicken. These also include sources like chickpeas, chicken meal, pea protein, dried potatoes etc. Also essential minerals, vitamins, oils and fiber are the important ingredients. But I would like the carbohydrate level to be more than the present level. Also there is no probiotics on the list of ingredients. Alfalfa meal I know mostly to be associated with horse food, so not too sure about that.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Nutro Dog Food (Lite & Weight Management) is 100 percent all natural and does not contain any artificial or man made or modified ingredients on any of their dog food varieties which is very positive and unique to this brand of dog food. The main ingredient is always natural vegetables and always contain only real chicken and meat products.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Nutro Lite & Weight Management is a much healthier food for my dogs than many brands. It is a flavor that both of my dogs like, which is very important to me. It even has a nice smell to it that I would think please my dogs. However, I would like to see it a little more reasonable in price but it is from a well known brand so I don't mind splurging for the dog. It is also important to me also that my dogs stay a healthy weight.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I like the fact that Nutro High Protein-Grain Free is dry and not wet so there is less of a mess in the house. I also like the name. It has the most nutrition for my dog and he likes this brand unlike others which he won’t eat. Nutro helps my dog stay strong and energetic. The food also is grain free and that would help my dog digest. But the portion size is a bit small and sometimes my dog doesn't like it. My dog is small though so the portion size doesn’t really matter but I wish it would be better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Nutro is a great company making great food, healthy & no unwanted ingredients. The Lite & Weight Management is a high quality food that my dogs can eat to maintain a healthy weight, but don't have to compromise on flavor & nutrients. Brown rice & sweet potato are very good for them, farm raised chickens and no by products and GMO. I decided to buy this food because my female Chihuahua was having problems with a sensitive stomach. Also, it is made in the USA and the price was not too high. Plus, I really liked the logo and design of the bag.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I appreciate the Nutro Dog HIGH PROTEIN-Grain Free product. I want my dog to have energy and this assists with giving an animal energy. I read the ingredients in several brands of dog food while I visited the DOG FOOD STORE and I appreciated the ingredients in Nutro Dog Food. High Protein is very important in keeping my dog well therefore I chose it over the other dog foods. It is the best dog food because of its ingredients that are beneficial to the health of my animal that I love. I will use this product as long as I have an animal to feed.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My vet told me that my dog has a grain allergy so we switched to freaking free food. One is picky but would eat Nutro High Protein-Grain Free so we switched to it. They both love the food. I try to feed them better dog food to keep them healthy and I feel good about giving Nutro to them. It has helped my dog with the grain allergy. He no longer gets raw spots on his back and the other dog will eat it too. It would be nice to have some variety to the food though.

Nutro Dog Food Company Information