1.70/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Natural Balance Pet Foods

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

376 Natural Balance Pet Foods Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is the brand our breeder recommended. We like the limited ingredients and the dogs really love it. We are very conscientious to buy grain free, but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on the topic.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Our teacup Yorkie has been eating the dog food in the roll for a couple years or so. Then we couldn't find it them. All of a sudden I came across some in our local Petco. After he started eating it again he was having an accident in the house occasionally and this is not normal for him at all. His accidents became more frequent and his urine had a horrible odor to it, absolutely horrendous. Then he was having 2 accidents through the nights. I knew something had to be seeing with him and mentioned it to a friend and she asked if I had changed his food recently. I told her I had not been able to find his normal food and had tried a different foods but then found his original food again so I had put him back on it and this started slowly. She told me to stop and I did that day and seriously he did not have an accident that night forward. How the heck could that happen? I'm just thankful we figured it was the food. Poor dogs.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My lab cross has eaten Natural Balance for 10 years, lamb meal & rice. In January 2019 we got a new bag with different graphics but were told it was the same formula. My dog started vomiting and had uncontrollable diarrhea. We thought she had a flu. Nursed her back to health with rice and cooked chicken. Then reintroduced the Natural Balance kibble...again diarrhea. This happened again until we gave up on the kibble. The formula is toxic to our dog. After 10 years we are left to find a new food for our dog. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 9, 2019

We've been feeding our dogs Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Bison formula for years with no problems. Now, like many others have noted, we get a new bag, open it up, smells different, looks different, and my dogs HATE it. Why take what was good dog food and mess with it. I have 40 pounds of crap now that my dogs won't eat. Why?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Our 14 year old American Bulldog has extreme food sensitivities and in the last year she suddenly started getting foul breath, Candida biofilm vomit and growths on her body. When I switched to the Duck and Potato 2 months ago, all the symptoms and growths went away. I had a pit bull that lived to 14 on the Duck and Potato with ZERO growths, no ear infections and no gas. So I have a long history of appreciation for the LID Duck and Potato.

This week I ran out and had just a few servings of the Fish/Sweet Potato left in the Vittles Vault, I have been giving the dogs the last of it, I should have just thrown it out. I noticed within days the terrible gas starting up again and now smelly ear wax on my tiny Maltese mix. Yesterday I noticed that the healed spot on my bully has gotten inflamed again. There's definitely something wrong with this food. I'm starting to wonder if the company is sourcing their salmon from the TOXIC FARMED stuff. I am horrified to see my babies suddenly having irritations from what used to be a healthy and nutritious kibble.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I've been loyal to Natural Balance for over twenty years. Suddenly I get a bag of food that is completely different! The size, color and SMELL is very noticeably different. The labels on the bag are the same. SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, WTF? We've been paying for your food because we have dogs that require limited Ingredient Diets! Shame on you for changing it without any warning. Poor animals with bloody diarrhea... vet visits... dogs on IV's. There is no excuse for it. Thank goodness I noticed the difference and didn't feed it to my dogs. Problem is now I've got 60 pounds of food I can't use. This happened to me before when I had a dog on Blue Buffalo. They changed the recipe and that time I had a very sick dog because of it. It's really a shame these companies just don't care anymore about the animals. It's all about $$$$ and that's it. Not the company Dick Van Patton started! Shane, shame shame!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

My little 8-year-old pug suffers from severe allergies, I began to feed her with Natural balance (Grain-free fish and sweet potatoes). Never, I give other food to my pet that is not their food. Everything was fine, but a few days ago I noticed that my dog had a lot of gases, his breath smells really bad. I never passed this with any other food, days later my little baby had a severe allergic crisis, I take her to the emergency vet hospital. The first question the doctor asked me, is, "What food do you give your pet? You have to throw it away, that made your little pet sick!!!" I recently, realized that they changed the formula and the food don't have the same quality!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I’ve been feeding my 12 yr old Cocker this food for a long time. Have never had any issues with it. I purchase the 6 oz cans because I understand they are BHP free or not as bad as the 13 oz cans. Hershey loves this dog food! Thumbs up as far as we’re concerned.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We have several dogs. 2 yrs ago we switched to this food because our one dog a Shar-Pei was allergy tested and she is allergic to peas and oats. Try to find a kibble without peas. We put then all on NB. It started with a few of my kids not wanting to eat, vomiting occ, itchy dry skin and hair, agitation and lethargy. We had to take our Mini Bull Terrier into the vet for her skin, the first time for anything other than shots or a check up and spay. She will be 4 in April, local reputable breeder. The DR listens to her heart and says "she has a heart murmur". You could have knocked my husband and I off the chair with a feather, we were in shock. She has never had a heart murmur, not since birth or the last time we had her in Oct 2016 for her rabies shot and exam.

I asked if it could be her diet, he wasn't sure. I search out and ordered supplements and a different food, still grain free but meat is first. I contacted NB and I have a case number. In March we will be taking her to a cardiologist and see if we can get to the bottom of this. If this is the fault of the food, I'm contacting everyone. Like I said I'm pretty pissed off right now. Not only is she our baby she is a 2500 dog! Reading all these comments is telling that there is a problem with this food, clearly. Oh we switched to Sport dog from Canada pea free.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We have been using this food for the last two years, for my bulldog mix. Luckily the clerk at Pet Food Express told us they recently changed the ingredients. This was our first time trying the new recipe, after his first serving, he had diarrhea that night. I gave it to him for breakfast and he had diarrhea all day, even a little blood! I gave him a different holistic food for dinner and he is fine. Normal poops! If the clerk hadn't told us of the switch, we would have kept feeding him the food and he could have gotten worse! It is terrible that Natural Balance changed the formula so much it caused diarrhea immediately. My dog does not have a sensitive stomach and I can't imagine how it would hurt a more delicate dog!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My dog had been having diarrhea for a while and itchy skin for the longest I could not figure out why. I’ve had him on the same food for many years and after doing a lot of research decided it was time to switch his dog food. I was thinking possibly my dog can be allergic to the food I have been giving him so I looked online at different brands and read a lot of reviews and decided to go with natural balance seems like it had a lot of good reviews. Well after one serving, his diarrhea went away. So I was extremely happy about that. But the following day I started noticing a strong smell of cat pee on him. I thought maybe while I was walking him he may have got too close to a bush that a cat could have been hiding in or peed in.

I also noticed he also has been scratching more than ever. He’s scratching himself so hard I’m worried he’s going to make himself start bleeding. I gave him a bath, the smell was gone and he was happy. I washed all his beds and then about an hour later after I fed him the strong smell of cat piss was back again. Now I’m back online and wished I would have done more research bc I’m seeing a lot of complaints from many other people having this same issue with Natural balance. I’m going to have to stop feeding him this because I can’t take this smell anymore it’s making my house smell too. And this food was so expensive too. Now I'm back to looking around for another brand of food. Why is this food causing this foul odor??

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

To all who give their dog this food, STOP. We have used this food for 2 decades and when they changed the formula in June or July 2018 our dog got deathly ill. Thank god for our local pet food store that told me they had changed the formula. After numerous vet appts and medicine and procedures our little girl has finally recovered and it was all about changing her dog food. I'm giving it 2 months to make sure she's 100% before I contact whoever I need to to stop selling this food. Dick Van Patten truly cared about animals and this food had been something we depended on for all our dogs in the past, but not anymore. Please stop feeding your dogs this food.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I fed the potato and duck formula for over a year. My dog has eaten this food since she was a puppy. Natural Balance is the only food she has ever eaten. Over the last two months she suddenly started to gag and vomit while eating the food. She wouldn’t even finish the bowl of dog food before vomiting. She sometimes would spit the food out too. At first I just thought maybe she started new habit of eating too fast so I got her a slow feed bowl. The problem continued. I have switched food and I no longer have a vomiting problem. Natural Balance must have changed something in the food. I see no other explanation.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We have two older dogs with some health issues. Opened a new bag and noticed many pcs of the kibble were burned. Why would Natural Balance allow this to be shipped to dogs. Checked and throughout the bag. Who wants burned food. Pretty upset.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

After using this product for 3 years with no problem, the Venison & Sweet Potato this past Monday I opened a new bag. It's 4.5 lbs. It looked different in color and size kibble. My dog when I came home from work had eaten all of what was in her bowl. Very unusual. So I gave her a small amount more. She had been fine the night before until 5:30 AM Tuesday morning when she became very agitated. She needed to go out. She will not do the business in the apt. Very loose stool. Three hours later once again agitated. I took her out and her diarrhea was much worse and I could tell she was in pain.

I contacted her vet, she was placed on a bland diet. She's not been herself. Got a different bag of the same food, the vet wanted me to try and give her a few pieces mixed with her bland food after being off NB for a few days. Back to having bad diarrhea. She is now on meds for this. I have contacted Natural Balance about four times in the past few days for answers. All they keep saying is that there has been no change in the formulation, and yes this batch was different in color and size. This was purchase thru Amazon and they have pulled this size bag off their website after I contacted them. This is a problem! New bag, my dog gets very ill... Coincidence... I don't think so!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

My cat has health issues like hyperthyroid and IBD. I was giving my cat venison food from the vet but soon after I started her on it, it was backordered so I got this NB venison from the pet store. It was easier to get this from the store than travel to the vet so I kept giving it to her. Initially she seemed to like eating it. However at some point she was throwing up more often, to the point of daily vomiting of bile. Then one she just stopped eating. I thought she was going to die. Then I got some of the venison food sold at by the vet and gave it to my cat to see if she would eat it. She gobbled it down. She gained weight (she was scrawny before), and she went from listless to bring & alert. Around the same time that she refused to eat, I gave her a Reiki treatment. It is hard to say what caused this 180 turnaround - she rarely even vomits anymore - but I really think the NB food was bad for her. So be careful before feeding it to your feline sweetheart.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My 15 year old Rottweiler mix has eaten the "Sweet Potato & Fish" dry and wet dog food for just about all of his life. He has severe allergies and this has always been my go-to food even though it's expensive; I've found it to be the best up until recently. As others have noted I recently noticed a color change of the bag and was a little suspicious but didn't think much of it. But now He's puking constantly and when he does manage to keep it down for a few hours, the food is undigested when he does puke it up. He's also had bouts of diarrhea and the worst gas! I mean it's like somebody died up there LOL. It's bad! So bad that it has gotten me researching and looking into this food a little bit more and I believe that the ingredients have recently changed.

Probably at the same time they changed the color of the bag is when they changed the ingredients? I don't know but I believe it used to be salmon in this food but now it's something else and obviously something not very tolerated by my dog so now he's 15 years old and I'm going to be starting like brand new trying to find a different food that works for him. What a way to ruin something good.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I tried all types of can, pouch and plastic tub wet foods for my diva Midnight. She will only eat Natural Balance, grain-free wet food. I mean, the ONLY wet food she will eat. She loves it and has never had any adverse reactions. The bonus is that she loves every flavor of Delectable Delights.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I originally purchased the Venison & Sweet Potato formula because it was free of all the allergens my dog has issues with. Unbeknownst to me the flax seed was switched to salmon, which my dog is allergic to (yes, dogs can be allergic to salmon). I watched my dog slip into lethargy with open sores he had chewed on himself (no vomiting or diarrhea) over the course of 9 months. I thought he was done for at 7 1/2 years old. By happenstance I noticed the ingredients had been switched.

I immediately switched him to a new brand and within a month noticed his energy and vitality is back. Two months later, we have our dog back, full of himself and ready to go on walks. How heartbreaking and expensive this whole endeavor has been. Not only was I paying for expensive food he shouldn't have been eating due to one ingredient change but I was paying for ** to quell his allergy itchiness. On the new food, I no longer need **. Pay attention to ingredients and know that vomiting and diarrhea may not be indicators - but itchy skin may be your clue.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I just started the new Natural Balance Limited Recipe. My dog has been vomiting every day since I started. He has never vomited on any dog food previously. It started the very first day I gave it to him. Thought he was just sick. Then every day thereafter he couldn't keep the food down.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I started feeding my labrador retriever Natural Balance Lamb and Rice dry dog food because of allergies. This brand was recommended by her allergist. She has had very loose stools for a while. I thought it might take her a little while to adjust to a new dog food. This was not the case! She continues to have very loose stools. I have taken her off Natural Balance and put her back on Just 6 by Rachael Ray. She does very well on this brand!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Have fed Potato and Duck for more than two years. Got a new bag and the color was much lighter than usual, so was a little concerned that something had changed. And sure enough, my boy started throwing up, then diarrhea and then refused any kibble. I called NB and they claimed there had been no change and color variations are normal since they don’t add color or dyes and their food is all natural. Got a second bag. Same thing - squirting diarrhea like cola out the back end. My standard poodle can’t have anything with peas, so finding kibble is a challenge.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We have used Natural Balance for almost a decade. Recently all 4 dogs have developed major on-going watery/loose stools. The only common factor with the four dogs (one lives with my sister, one with my parents and 2 with me) is the food. After looking at these reviews I have officially pulled them off NB and moved on to Taste of the Wild. I can’t risk it. My boxer is lethargic and refusing to eat the NB anyway. It was a good run. I hope the company takes this seriously and makes the changes needed to keep our dogs healthy. Right now this food is anything but safe or healthy.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My 14.5 year old schnauzer choked to death. He had eaten Canidae can food for a while and before that he had eaten other quality can food products. I got him the Nature Balance Van Patten chicken flavor roll and he was dead within a few days. The food was caught in his throat. Apparently he had tried to drink a lot of water to loosen it or soften it to swallow. He didn't make it. We found him dead when we came home. I am beyond devastated. Please if you use this product be very diligent when they eat or moisten it before you give it to them. This loss is forever. The way he died haunts me. I can't explain it. Our love for these babies is undefinable. Losing my child (dog) this way is so hard to deal with.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Early this AM (around 5:00 AM) July 22, 2018, I had to rush my Bichon Frise to the local emergency pet clinic. He had developed acute diarrhea and followed up with the severe vomiting (bought some dry kibble in the earlier AM and then by later afternoon was completely clear and bright yellow.) The diarrhea was horrid and basically he was going 7 - 8 times that day (yesterday July 21, 2018). The vet took the fecal sample, injected him with **, gave subcutaneous fluid for dehydration, dispensed ** antibiotic. I handed him the plastic bag with both the Natural Balance Original Ultra Reduced Calorie Formula Ultra Premium Dog Food Kibbles and the can of the Natural Balance LID Chicken and Sweet Potato Formula.

I told him I had just ordered another order of these products on July 2, 2018 and they arrived July 5, 2018. I had finished up the other remaining foods (same) until they run out approx 5 days ago. Then I switched to the new order shipment. I told him when I first opened the can it was rather mushy not as firm as normal in the past and had an unusual odor? I also told him that some of the dry kibble did not always have a same/similar odor and varied colors? He said "perhaps you should contact the Chewy.com and either request a refund or replacement as I had been using both of these products for many months without any physical issues until now.”

I feed my Bichon the same exact amount, product and time each and every day. He has not been put into any groomer (I do it). He has not been boarded nor does he go walking the neighborhood (he rides in a doggie stroller). Sooooo, not due to outside "roaming". Even has his own little fenced in area for his bowels and potty. That is cleaned daily. So, I contacted the Chewy.com today, they are sending another batch after they took my information, shall see. Meanwhile he is on a bland diet for at least another 4 days then gradually (ever so gradually) wean him back to the Natural Balance.

Sure is an expensive Dr bill if in FACT it was the food, sure seems odd about the timing for sure. My little Bichon came from an abused shelter many years ago, so I did not pay a fortune for him but I have given him TONS of love... Sure don't want to feed him something that will make him so sick. The vet said if I wanted to check the dog food would cost around $200 on top of the bill. I rejected that, already have a $277 bill.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Upon the recommendation of my vet, I had been feeding my dog Natural Balance, Duck and Potato for approximately two years due to possible allergies. Since starting her on the diet I had to bring her in for two possible UTIs due to frequent urination and blood in her urine which we treated with antibiotics. Then she developed unrelenting sneezing and coughing which could not be treated with any antibiotics or allergy medicine.

Finally, she refused to eat this food any longer and almost overnight became lethargic and severely dehydrated. In less than 36 hours I had to euthanize her due to her organs failing. There were symptoms of possible pancreatitis or fluid in the lungs. From the information provided recently on the potato based dog foods I would guess this food is what caused her death. These symptoms have been described in many previous posts. I hope this information will help spare someone and their pet from the needless suffering.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We were directed to this brand by a vet due to our puppy's allergies and it had 5 star reviews across the board until a few months ago. We had been using the Venison & Sweet Potato L.I.D. for over a year before I started to notice my dog was suddenly starting to behave very differently. She would sniff her food and not eat, then whenever she did eat, she would cough/gag. She would cry at me 24/7, no matter what I did for her, she was inconsolable. Constantly needing to pee, frequently squatting. I caught her throwing up yellow bile. When I googled her symptoms, it seemed like she had a UTI or something liver-related. After at least 3 visits to the vet to no avail, I thought to do some updated research on her food again which is when I stumbled upon all these negative reviews with dogs displaying similar symptoms. Thanks to the reviews on this site, we were alerted to the change in owners and formulation.

It's been roughly one week since immediately changing her food with vet approval and giving her a pet probiotic, she is finally returning to normal after this hell of an experience. Will never buy Natural Balance products again. Made my perfectly healthy 2 year old puppy very sick and I'm certain could've eventually killed her if I ignored it long enough. This product should not be on the shelves!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I started feeding Natural Balance LID dog food 20 years ago and have fed it to all of my dogs religiously since then. They used to advertise that the first ingredient was protein. The name of the food has always been Protein & Veg (Duck & Potato/Venison & Sweet Potato etc.) They’ve changed their formulas on this and the much-loved log roll food, that I used to train all of my puppies until my last one. Protein is no longer the first ingredient, and my dogs don’t like it as much. They have also steadily raised the prices while making the bags smaller. And yes, my dogs too, have started having more episodes of G.I. problems. I am now steadily moving them to a limited ingredient, raw-based food diet. I will stop buying NB as soon as I have transitioned my pups. Dick Van Patten is rolling in his grave, and his heirs should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 1, 2018

The last bag of Natural Balance Lamb and Rice LID I purchased on June 26, 2018 had all 4 of my dogs vomiting with liquid bowels and very lethargic within 12 hours after eating it. One of my 4 dogs is highly sensitive to any kind of pea protein as a filler in grain free foods so I have been getting Natural Balance dry dog food for her for about a year since it doesn't use any form of pea. The others were getting it as part of their rotation. They all seem to have fully recovered once it was all out of their systems, but looking at other reviews now I'm worried about any long term issues that may surface in the future. I will never buy this brand again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My 2 bulldogs have been on this food for years (1 for 7 and 1 for 3) due to food sensitivities. The last bag (Lamb and Rice LID) I purchased on June 8, 2018 made both my dogs sick with diarrhea and GI problems. At first did not realize it was the food. Put them on rice and pumpkin to settle their stomachs. Slowly restarted the food and it happened all over again 2 days later. Due to 5 days of diarrhea I had to bring them both to the vet ($500+ later). My older dog barely is getting up from his bed. After reading some reviews on different sites this seems to be a recent trend with the Natural Balance products. I contacted the company and all they could say was that there was a formula change a couple months ago and that they test for 9 contaminants. Was not very satisfied with their response. Be very careful with your pets!

Natural Balance Pet Foods expert review by Dr. Ken Tudor

Natural Balance is endorsed by actor Dick Van Patten and has been using nutritional science to formulate dog food since 1989. This food is often used by dog trainers.

• Company owned by dog owners: Most of the owners and employees own dogs; their goal is to create food that maximizes canine health for their own animals as well as the dogs that belong to Natural Balance's customers.

• Offers choices for dogs on limited diets: Dogs who need a low protein, low carbohydrate or grain-free diet can get the nutrients they need.

• Extensive testing before release: Natural Balance food is always tested for nine contaminants before being released for sale.

• Real-time lab results: Users who want to know exactly what is in their dog food can input the bar code online and get access to lab results.

• Dog Rolls offer dogs a nutritious treat: Dog Rolls can be used as a treat or as a main meal; this product helps keep skin healthy and is often used by trainers to help reinforce good behavior.

Profile picture of Dr. Ken Tudor
    Dr. Ken Tudor Pet Food Contributing Editor

A recognized expert and leader in pet nutrition, Dr. Ken Tudor has written over 200 articles on the subject. He also has a featured weekly blog on petMD, is published in major veterinary journals and is a frequent internet media guest expert. He is the founder of Hearthstone Homemade, a recipe and supplement program for pet parents wishing to feed nutritious homemade dog food.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information