2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Oct. 25, 2014

I fed my 3 dogs (pit bull, King Charles mix, and beagle mix) the L.I.D. lamb and brown rice dry dog food for years. I recently bought a new bag and all 3 dogs soon came down with horrible cases of diarrhea. I stopped feeding them the dry food and fed them boiled chicken. The diarrhea went away. A couple days later I slowly began adding the dry food back in to their diet and the diarrhea returned almost immediately, worse than it was before. Again, I stopped feeding them this food and switched to boiled chicken. Again, the diarrhea went away. I switched to a different brand of limited ingredient dog food and began adding that to their diet. The diarrhea did not return. I will never buy this brand of dog food again.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Oct. 23, 2014

My Maltese is probably the fussiest eater in the world. Luckily, we were able to get her to eat Natural Balance rolls. We also got our two others to eat it and they loved it... until the formula change. We've wasted a lot of money on uneaten rolls, but didn't know what was going on. The new stuff had a new packaging and we noticed some differences, but the main thing we noticed was that the dogs didn't go nuts over it anymore. And on top of that, we do recall the dogs getting sick around then as well, but thought more of stomach virus or something like that. Once they got sick, they totally refused the food, to the point that we ended up having to throw out the huge rolls we had bought. Usually, between the three of them, those rolls would go so quickly that we didn't even have to worry about them going bad. The new rolls, I can't even bribe them to eat.

I even tried the usual mix of dog food with applesauce, with chicken broth, shredded cheese, and even with gravy... but no... even the two who aren't fussy wouldn't eat them. Same scenario with the cats. You'd think out of four cats and three dogs, one of them would eat it...wrong. Not one of them want it at all. I don't know if there was a market analysis done or even a focus group, but ours won't eat it and many others on here won't either. So if this version sells pretty well, why not have both of them so we can get our animals back to eating like they used to instead of curling their upper lip and walking away at feeding time. Personally, I don't need an attorney, I need a food my animals will eat instead of having a gazillion brands they won't touch more than twice. And I'm hoping that food will be Natural Balance roll since they used to love it so much.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Oct. 12, 2014

My two Dachshunds have been eating Potato and Duck limited ingredients formula for small dogs for about three years. I choose this food because they were allergic to other brands, and it worked well until I opened a new bag two weeks ago. This food had different color (darker than usual), and smelled different too. After the second day eating this food, my dogs stool started getting softer and darker. Now they have diarrhea. I'm sure that it is the food that is causing the diarrhea because I only give them food and treats from this brand, and with the same formula. The 4.5 lbs bag says BEST BY 06-16-15 and the code number is 4111AD 21:12.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

Please beware: My two chihuahuas have eaten the potato and duck small breed bites formula for 5 years. I purchased a new bag 2 weeks ago. The food smelled different. After the first night my one chihuahua started having diarrhea. Yesterday she was pooping pure blood, pouring out uncontrollably. I raced her to the vet. Waiting on tests but he said she has a severe bacterial infection. This morning my other chihuahua, same horrible episode... Both of my dogs are recovering slowly, but almost died. My dogs do not eat garbage or table scraps. I felt I was feeding my beautiful girls a high quality food. I am outraged. I will Never buy this brand again.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

I have been feeding my Golden/Lab Mix Natural Balance Limited Ingredient food since she came to at 6 mos old. The latest bag of food however has been making her severely ill. She's been vomiting and having diarrhea to the point she bleeds. I've done the boiled chicken and rice and it fixes her right. A few days back on the kibble and she's back to being sick. I'm going to have to change brands.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

No response received
        Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

I have used Natural Balance Dog Food Rolls for over 12 years to feed my past and present Chihuahua. They always loved the food and it keep them healthy and because they are small dogs and eat small amounts, with Natural Balance I was always sure they were getting enough nutrients. Since the New rolls came out, I have been very disappointed. I have tried the Chicken, Turkey and Duck and Turkey formula. My dog will eat it, but it is very crumbly and after the first day looks very dry and gets a white film on it. I have tried adding water but that does not help keep it together. I wish you would at least offer the original and the new formula so we could have a choice. I am using the Duck and Turkey because it is less crumbly than the other formulas but I am looking for a new food for my dog now.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
        Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

As a trainer, I had used the Natural Balance Lamb Roll as a fantastic training tool with my training classes, as well as my own dogs. Great product! Healthy, easy to use in training w/ no greasy feel, and it held together beautifully. The BEST thing about it though was that dogs LOVED it, and it was a GREAT tool in getting a dog trained with positive reinforcement. THEN...Natural Balance has quit making all the different meat based rolls, including this lamb roll. I bought the ONLY roll that Natural Balance makes now, the "DOG FOOD ROLL", made with lamb and chicken. I expected little change from the lamb roll. I was SOOOO wrong! The first thing that I noticed was it looked totally different. You can't see the obvious meat in this roll, as you could with the lamb roll. No big deal, I thought. When I took it to the first training class I was teaching with it, I was shocked to see that the pieces (cut like French fries) fall apart. After a few minutes, I had "sawdust" in my hand! I'm not kidding...it was awful! Crumbs falling do NOT help keep the dog's attention on the trainer. They are too busy trying to clean up the floor!

That ONE class was enough of a test that I knew I wouldn't be using this again as a treat. But... I have two senior dogs with plenty of missing teeth. They loved the Lamb Roll as dinner! But... not so much with this new recipe. They look at me like "You've got to be kidding!" I immediately emailed Natural Balance when I got home from that first class where I tried the new roll, and told them my feelings about this product. It was apparent they'd had other complaints, as I was told that they are redoing the formula, and to please give them to the first of the year to get it changed. I was polite, and so was the lady I was in touch with. My fingers are crossed HARD that this company will come to their senses and bring back the ORIGINAL LAMB ROLL!!!! I hate to give just two stars to this product, but for MY use, that is all that I can give it.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

My 2 mini dachshunds used to love Natural Balance dog rolls, but the formula recently changed. Within 2 weeks, both of my dachshunds were ill with vomiting and diarrhea, one even had bloody diarrhea. I made a complaint via email to Natural Balance this morning; this afternoon I received a call from the company asking about my complaint. The representative told me NO ONE other than me has made this complaint! I told her she needs to search for the reviews I found on the internet; she declined. SO MAKE A COMPLAINT TO NATURAL BALANCE.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Natural Balance Company changed lamb and rice formula to lamb and chicken. I tried the new rolls and treats. The rolls are hard and do not feel fresh like before, do not crumble or cut easily, and my dogs will not eat it. I also bought the lamb and chicken roll a rounds - new chicken and lamb formula. This product crumbles/ falls apart. My dogs take the treats, go to another part of the room, and spit them out. I am picking up these treat pieces all over the floor, and uneaten. I want to thank Natural Balance company for changing their formula. Since they have stopped making " the good stuff", I am deciding to try my hand at making my OWN line of Lamb and Rice dog food treats using a formula similar to their old one. If I can even come CLOSE to what they used to sell with their old formula, from what I have read and heard from the other consumers complaints about adding the chicken, I finally now have a shot at becoming a millionaire from their screw up!!! THANK YOU!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2014

We have been feeding the natural balance rolls to our dogs for several years and they loved it. I have been feeding the rabbit dry and the cans of food to my cat. We started noticing a few months back that the ends of the rolls were getting moldy, we had never had that happen before. Contacted the company and they said they would look into it and sent us some free coupons. Thing is my dog doesn't want to eat it anymore. Or my cat. I spent a long time looking for a cat food that was nutritious and that my cat would eat. She loved the rabbit and the cans. Yippy. Until this last bag and the last 3 cans. All 3 of the can foods are a different type. She gulped it down and then vomited it all up. I thought maybe she had just eaten too fast. Same thing happened with the 2nd can and she won't touch the 3rd. She won't eat the new bag of rabbit either and is now driving me crazy and eating the dog's food. My dog, we only supplemented with rolls so he is good with the dry since it is a different brand. So we will start the search again.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Aug. 21, 2014

I have bought this product in the stores often and feed it to my dog every morning on top of her kibble for breakfast. This is the first time I ordered it from Amazon, and I noticed the food looks different that it did before. Was this product changed? My dog is not a picky eater, but today when I put this on her kibble, she sniffed at it and walked away instead of quickly eating her breakfast as usual. Then after a while (she must’ve been really hungry), she ate it. Then within 15 minutes, she had thrown up on my brand new, white flokati wool rug. Then a few minutes later, she made her first #2 accident in my apartment (thank God not on the rug, but in my bedroom – even though we had just taken her morning walk and she had pooped outside). Then within 20 minutes, she threw up 2 more times on my white rug. Her entire breakfast she threw up by now. So basically, this gave my dog the equivalent of what happens to humans when we get food poisoning and it comes out both ends.

What happened to this product? It looks different - the packaging looks different. Is this being manufactured in China or something? This made my dog very, very sick. I won’t be buying again unless I see the old formula. This one is much lighter in color. The ingredients have to be different and whatever they've done is not good. No one wants their pet getting sick – like they are being poisoned – from the food they are being fed. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED. I ended up googling "did Natural Balance change their formula" and found this site. UGH.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I have a 7 month old vizsla who we have had on Natural Balance Chicken and Sweet Potato dry since he was 10 weeks old. We changed him from Purina that he was on while with the breeder. Up until 2-3 weeks ago, since buying a new bag, he has been vomiting at all various times. It can be immediately after eating, a couple hours after eating, or in the middle of the night. We have spend just under $900 on blood tests, x-rays, stool samples, probiotics, antibiotics, and other medications trying to understand what is wrong with him. Everything has come back negative and I never thought natural balance would have changed its formula until reading these posts. There has been no change to his diet and no other explanation. I have given him a can of wet food today and he kept it down. Seems the new formula or my current batch is what was making him sick. This is enough to make me never buy this brand again.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

For years, over 10, we have used Dick Van Patten's dog food rolls. Having chihuahuas, they are a finicky sort.. we mix the rolls in with Blue hard kibbles. DVP's rolls are the only ones my dogs would actually ingest and enjoyed wholeheartedly as well. The last roll we purchased, I noticed it was WHITE at the tips... so I returned it (should have been our first warning sign... the rolls were molding). That was in May 2014. In July, 2014 the pet store manager delightedly announced a "new roll" was coming out from NB. NOT HAPPY about that... When it came in we tried it, my dog wouldn't even nibble at it...

It has been 40 days, and she has barely eaten anything... She is 13 years old and I don't see her attempting to eat anything new and obviously she hasn't. We have tried 8 different natural dog foods, to no avail. Very disappointed at the formula change.. It smells like cayenne and non-organic additives. My concern is for her nutritional intake and future of her health if she continues to refuse food. I've contacted the company and had a response they were "taking my comments into consideration." We would implore of the company to bring back the former formula. Thank you.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: Aug. 2, 2014

On the advice of my vet, I switched to the Fish and Sweet Potato formulas few months ago for my dog with a sensitive stomach. It worked wonders. Then I got a new bag of dog food a few weeks ago and my dog has giardia like diarrhea off and on since. But it's not giardia. As soon as I stop feeding him the dry food, he returns to normal but even after a small amount of dry food, he goes back to having diarrhea. I have suspected the dry food for awhile since the problems started the day after he started the new bag. Still feeding him the wet lamb and rice and duck and potato. Those still seem fine. Seems like it was a bad batch and I will contact customer service directly. But I may unfortunately have to switch foods. I thought I had found the solution. A couple of months ago, I would have written a glowing review.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
        Original review: July 31, 2014

My Siberian Husky when she was a puppy had a very sensitive stomach and I tried almost everything so she could eat and not be in pain. The old formula Natural Balance Turkey Roll has kept her healthy and she is now 12 years old. I don't understand why switch it and least offer both types of rolls. Now I am cooking ground turkey and rice so she can eat. I am very disappointed in the abrupt change should they have done some trials with the consumers that used the old formula product. Please bring back the old rolls for my dear dog.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: July 30, 2014

This product used to be good, not nutritionally great mind you, but good. It was handy for soft training treats and I used it to raise three dogs. It is now dry, crumbly, smells bad and my dog doesn't like it. The new added fillers, while masquerading as quality ingredients, are still just cheaper-than-meat fillers. What a shame. Between that and the recalls that have increased in frequency, I am no longer a customer.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: July 27, 2014

Like many others here, I've been feeding my dog sweet potato & fish (due to severe food allergies) for several years. Results were phenomenal. The last bag of food, however, had something wrong with it. Dog vomited & had diarrhea. Lost interest in eating. VERY unusual for this pet. Switched to Blue & it immediately stopped. Thank goodness there's another limited ingredient brand with a fish-based formula, as my dog is allergic to all other protein sources. Del Monte should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to all these innocent animals!

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: July 5, 2014

I have been using this food for over a year and my cat loved the food and would practically beg for it. This last time we got our auto shipment, I put the food in the dish and he smells it and walks away. He refuses to eat it and that makes me wonder what is wrong with it. This is upsetting because I purchased two cases and I am out $60.00.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: July 2, 2014

I purchased Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato dry food, a few cans of their matching formula, a bag of their dog treats on June 27, 2014 at Petco 2353-2355 Street Road, Bensalem,PA 19020. My Labrador Retriever who weeks before was given a clean bill of health at the vet office, has been ill throwing up after eating. Before researching any complaints or recalls. My Dog usually drools at feeding time and never refused to eat. He has been trying to communicate that something is wrong with his food. I am so upset and angry.

Original review: July 1, 2014

My English Bulldog has severe food allergies (severe skin conditions, hives, and several vet visits). For the last 2 years she has been on NB fish and sweet potato (dry food and any of the no grain soft food) with NO issues. Her skin was great and no more allergic reactions. I bought the latest bag on June 9, and left her at the vet for 12 days. Upon my return, I found her with patches of hair that were missing (just as before before starting NB). I figured it was the stress. Once we got home, she continued to eat her food. After 3 days, the rest of the symptoms that had previously been resolved ALL came back. She broke out in hives; which warranted a visit to the vet. She was given steroids by vein, benadryl, and something for her stomach. She was fine, and then she ate NB. When she woke up the next day and had breakfast, all it took was a couple of hours for her to throw up uncontrollably. I took her back to the vet, and they gave her a Cerenia shot; which almost killed her.

They sent me home with soft food from the vet..I/D for G I health (? ) She ate it fine, and no vomit or diarrhea. I finished the cans, from vet, on Sunday, and started her back on the NB grain free soft food on Monday. I added the dry food (the same bag she ate at the vet). I gave her very little (1/3 of regular portion) mixed with the soft food. Today is Tuesday (24 hours) after restarting on NB, and once again threw up again. I see the chunks of non digested potato from the duck and potato soft food. She did not throw up once on the food provided by the vet; which means that she was indeed getting better. After restarting NB, she has begun to regress. She is also starting to get hives/bumps, and she is completely down. Needless to say, I wish I would have read this before spending over $300 on vet visits AND almost losing her after reaction to Cerenia.

Something has definitely changed, and it is NOT for the better. I am going to try to return the rest of the food I have left over, and I will have to buy the one from the vet. I am sure this has been a change that has been going on for a couple of months. Since April, I had her on benadryl because I could see hives wanting to come out, and her skin dulling and shedding like crazy. Please DO NOT BUY NB until we get an explanation for the change!!

Original review: July 1, 2014

Our dogs have been eating the natural balance vegan formula dog food their entire lives (4 1/2 years) with no issues what-so-ever. The last bag we purchased, I noticed it looked a little darker than normal. One of my dogs has developed a severe case of diarrhea. It's been going on for a week or so now. After I saw these other complaints, I'm wondering if something changed in the food that is causing this issue in some dogs. I will switch his food and find out.

Original review: June 30, 2014

I wanted to start my boston bulldog on a grain free diet since she developed skin problems/itching at 1.5 yrs. I purchased the Natural Balance - Rabbit and Sweet Potato dry dog food from Petco. She has thrown up her food for the past week. The first few days, it happened indoors, so I noticed it. I thought she was doing better since I hadn't witnessed it, but she threw up her food again last night. I am not sure, now, how much food she has been keeping down. I am switching to another brand who has not had so recent, negative reviews. All pointing to the same thing... dogs getting ill from the food due to a possible formulation change.

Original review: June 30, 2014

My dog has been eating Natural Balance Dog Food (Chicken and Sweet Potato) and has had no problem with it. I bought a new bag two weeks ago and she has been vomiting and had diarrhea with a clear mucus. I took her off of the food and fed her boiled chicken, rice and sweet potato for a week. She was back to normal, so I thought I would try the food again (thinking maybe she just had a GI bug). After a day and half back on the food, the symptoms returned. She is back on chicken, rice and sweet potato. I don't know what has changed in this food, but something has and is making dogs sick.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: June 29, 2014

Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato canned - I have a 3-year-old female cocker spaniel with and have been doing well with this food for 3 years until recently when she started throwing up and having bad diarrhea. Took her to the vet and was prescribed Flagyl but stool test was negative. Stopped feeding her natural balance after 2 weeks of diarrhea and after reading the consumers affairs reports. She's doing very well with Wellness Grain Free turkey and chicken. Del Monte, stick to a selling pineapples! What are you putting in this new formula that's making our dogs sick?

Original review: June 27, 2014

After extensive allergy testing my 10 year old Pointer was put on Natural Balance Legume and Duck over a year ago. She is on a strict diet due to severe allergies. I purchased a new bag about a week ago. It's taken me this long to realize her change in bowl habits, her tummy roaring at night and now waking from a deep sleep to vomit may well be associated with a formula change I wasn't aware of until now. I will be making a trip to the vets in the morning unless she gets worse and then it will be a visit to the Emergency vets. What am I going to feed her for breakfast? Who made the dumb decision to change the formula?

Original review: June 27, 2014

My dog was really sensitive to all foods. When I got him I had used the breeder's food until he developed a rash a few months in. For the past 3 years he has eaten natural balance duck and potato. I bought the recent bag a few months back and was told they were taken over by Del Monte. My dog wouldn't even touch the food. I wondered what was wrong and started adding his favorite treats to it. He then would eat some and leave it. His poop started being funny, he became a different dog, not interested in moving... A 100-pound labradoodle that was such a clown. He then started throwing up. I took the food back to see they had 10 other bags returned that day. They said everyone is experiencing the same thing. Bad move Del monte. Whatever you did to change this food, it's different and it's making dogs sick!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
        Original review: June 26, 2014

My dog has been on NB Fat dog for years and loved it. She for some reason has stopped eating it. She was no longer excited about the food 2 months ago but still ate it. Now she will no longer eat it or the NB sweet potato & fish, lamb and rice, or the original. I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong but have not seen any recall information online.

Factual basis uncertain
        Original review: June 23, 2014

I have bought Natural balance cat food for the last 10 yrs, and dog food for the last 4, and only now has the dog food begun to affect my dog's GI system. I thought she had eaten something off the ground, and ended up GI upset, gas, and blood and mucus in her stool. After a course of Metronidazole, she was better until I reintroduced the NB food. I now know that it is the food, and I will be switching ALL of my pets off of NB. Take care before you buy NB. Del Monte has messed with a formula that worked, and now my dog is paying the price.

Original review: June 22, 2014

Until the formula change, the Natural Balance roll food was the only food my 3-lb chihuahua rescue would eat. The food is completely different now. It no longer has that meaty smell and it is much drier. Since this change, my dog can no longer digest the food and he vomits virtually after every meal. I have bought whatever I can find of the old formula while I try to find a new brand that he will eat. Very disappointing.

Original review: June 22, 2014

Have had my dogs on Natural balance fish and sweet Potato for 2 years with NO issues until now. Bought 2 bags last week, brought home and put in bug proof containers--so, no I don't have bags :-(. None of the 3 will touch it. Period. I've tried mixing canned food, the Great Dane picks out the canned bits but leaves the rest. Nothing. I'm going to eat the cost and go "shopping" for a new brand tomorrow. Don't know what's happened, but something has.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information