2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Shop Now on Chewy
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

For over 22 years Natural Balance Pet Food has worked to provide the best possible nutrition for your pets. Natural Balance has led the way in pet food safety as the only pet food company to post the test results online for every batch of our food. We appreciate your concerns and want to talk with you directly.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more
Shop Now on Chewy

Natural Balance Pet Foods Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Natural Balance Pet Foods?

Original review: June 15, 2019

I’ve been feeding my male pug Natural Balance Bison kibble since I got him at 5 months old. Never had a problem until about 3 bags ago. He started with no eating right away and he’s a gobbler. Now it’s to the point he just doesn’t want to eat. After reading many reviews I’m thinking I need to stop feeding him this. Like others said, I did realize when I opened a bag the smell and color were different but as long as he was eating it I figure it was fine. I was feeding him that because he has a sensitive stomach. But now, honestly I don’t know what to feed him. Going to have to cancel that automatic delivery from Chewy.

Original review: June 13, 2019

We have a 7 year old mix breed 50 lb dog who has been eating Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Formula for the past 7 years without problems. Recently I noticed the color of the food was a bit darker but did not put a lot of thought into it (my mistake). A week or so later our dog began to have stomach problems and honestly we thought he may have gotten into something in the yard. In the event the food may have been a bad batch as it was a relatively new bag, we returned it to PetSmart and purchased a new bag (same brand). Gave our dog a couple of days with a bland diet to recuperate and he did.

Began using the new bag Natural Balance and again started to experience the same issues. Slowly began experiencing our dog not wanting to eat his food, seeming lethargic and then experiencing vomiting and diarrhea this time much sicker. Stopped the Natural Balance and started with white rice and chicken for a week and then slowly introduced a new brand of food, Wellness. Although our beloved dog is much better, he did not bounce back fast the second time. Concerned, we looked into reviews and we were shocked to find all the negative reviews for Natural Balance and issues that people were having with their pets. I am not sure what the problem is but I DO NOT RECOMMEND using this dog food. I will be contacting the company and PetSmart.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Had to take my cat to the vet for diarrhea and vomiting. Could find no health issues - thought maybe the cat ate a toy etc. Fast forward to opening a new bag of this cat food. Looks completely different than the last bag - which was darker in color AND also had small black specs in it everywhere! I gave her the new bag and guess what? Diarrhea from a food change because it wasn't the same food!!!! Same package, they obviously do not care at all about these pets!! I've had so many veterinarians say to stick to the brands that have been around the longest. This company is terrible!

Original review: May 13, 2019

Problem with this recent food formula or ingredients? I recently got a GSP pup raised on Diamond by her breeder. I have been looking at online reviews as I was considering switching to NB. I have come upon the recent reviews on this site, and now see what may have been a - if not the - contributing factor to my previous dog's sudden health decline and death last November. I feel I should document it here in case it may help reveal a critical issue with this brand.

I raised my German Shorthair x lab exclusively on NB Lamb and Rice since 2011 with very excellent results. In late spring of 2018, he started vomiting undigested food and losing muscle mass, so of course I took him to the vet. Examination and imaging revealed inflammatory response and enlarged walls in the upper small intestine. Blood, stool and urine work came back indicating he was losing and/or not taking up protein. He was put on antibiotics and dietary protein supplementation, including boiled chicken breast and white rice. His condition improved by mid June and we resumed normal diet of NB L&R.

In early November he started vomiting and diarrhea again, and losing muscle mass. Vet again did blood work and imaging and found a large mass in his stomach. Surgery found a large tumor, but also advanced pancreatitis, and was put down. The stomach mass was not tested for malignancy as blood work showed only slightly elevated white blood cell count and the pancreas situation was inoperable and terminal. We never considered there may have been an issue with his food, as he had done so well on it. But the timing of his symptoms and demise with that of recent reviews here makes us suspect that I was feeding him a bad lot.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Just want to add my recent experience to the ones already posted. There HAS INDEED been a change to the Bison and Sweet Potato formula... lighter in color with smaller kibble size. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG THIS FOOD. We've been using Natural Balance for 10 years but will never return after this incident. Not only did my dogs not want to eat it but what little they did eat gave them dark, loose stools. By the way, I called NB just yesterday to inform them and all I got was denial and scripted responses.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We started our 5 lb dog on this food 10 years ago because he was having digestive problems (vomiting daily, diarrhea) and we heard that the Sweet Potato & Fish formulation was especially good for sensitive stomachs. After starting him on it, his stomach problems went away. In the past couple months, he has been having episodes of (pain-induced?) trembling during the day and night and bouts of vomiting. He went to the vet for exams, blood work, x-rays. No abnormalities were identified.

Then I learned that Natural Balance had been reformulated right before we bought our latest bag of dog food. Are all his recent problems due to this? After examining the dog food, I noticed small fishbones (or something sharp) sticking out of the kibble. We've switched him to a chicken/rice diet and he is slowly getting better. We'll be looking for a new dog food to switch him over to once he's ready. We will NOT be going back to Natural Balance.

Original review: April 17, 2019

This is the brand our breeder recommended. We like the limited ingredients and the dogs really love it. We are very conscientious to buy grain free, but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on the topic.

Original review: April 12, 2019

This food is Natural Balance Duck and Potato that I fed to my first dog. When I got this current dog I continued to use it. It is balanced with all of the necessary nutrients except for dietary fiber. It is somewhat low in fiber. So I also give her Blue Wilderness Salmon or Duck. This keeps my dog's elimination on a regular schedule.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Our teacup Yorkie has been eating the dog food in the roll for a couple years or so. Then we couldn't find it them. All of a sudden I came across some in our local Petco. After he started eating it again he was having an accident in the house occasionally and this is not normal for him at all. His accidents became more frequent and his urine had a horrible odor to it, absolutely horrendous. Then he was having 2 accidents through the nights. I knew something had to be seeing with him and mentioned it to a friend and she asked if I had changed his food recently. I told her I had not been able to find his normal food and had tried a different foods but then found his original food again so I had put him back on it and this started slowly. She told me to stop and I did that day and seriously he did not have an accident that night forward. How the heck could that happen? I'm just thankful we figured it was the food. Poor dogs.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My lab cross has eaten Natural Balance for 10 years, lamb meal & rice. In January 2019 we got a new bag with different graphics but were told it was the same formula. My dog started vomiting and had uncontrollable diarrhea. We thought she had a flu. Nursed her back to health with rice and cooked chicken. Then reintroduced the Natural Balance kibble...again diarrhea. This happened again until we gave up on the kibble. The formula is toxic to our dog. After 10 years we are left to find a new food for our dog. Buyer beware!

Natural Balance Pet Foods Company Information