2.80/5

Middletown, NJ

80 Breeders Club Of America Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 11, 2010

In mid January of 2010 my husband contacted Carol S., owner Gabelle Kennels inquiring about the purchase of a female Westie puppy. Pursuant to his phone call she indicated that two litters were due on or about February 17, 2010 and February 21,2010, as displayed on her website. Futhermore, she indicated that although two female puppies were already promised to other homes, if a third was born into the litter, said puppy would be available for us to purchase. We then forwarded a check to Carol Sutton in the amount of $220.00 which represented one-third of the total purchase price of $650.00 for the puppy. At this time Carol advised us to write the check out to her because she didn't have a checking account for Gabelle Kennels. She also stated that she only has a "cell phone" to contact her which is also displayed on her website.

On or about February 24,2010 my husband contacted Carol S. regarding the status of the litter. He was advised that the first litter did not produce a female and that our deposit would be applied to the second litter, toward the purchase of a third female puppy. A third female puppy was born later that day. On March 1,2010 approximately four days before Carol left for Disney with her family with a return date of March 14,2010, our check was cashed. We left several messages between March 17,2010 thru March 22,2010 inquiring about our puppy. Our calls were never returned.

Finally, on or about March 22,2010 after making another call to Carol, she finally answered her cell phone and indicated that our puppy died on February 25,2010, the day after it was born. This news was a shock to us since our bank records indicated that our deposit was cashed on March 1,2010.Upon receiving the news of our puppies death we then requested that our deposit be returned. Carol said that she would send it "within the month" (March) it never came.

Then she said she would send it "by the end of April", it never came. Then she told us we had to send a letter to her stating we no longer want a puppy from her, "just in case down the road we change our minds", we sent the letter that she requested certified mail, the deposit never came. Carol, also when asked, why did it take you almost a month to contact us to advise us that our puppy died. She replied that "her cell phone got wet in Disney and didn't work to contact us and that the Wi Fi in her room at the resort didn't work either to email us". (We have emails from her stating this).

So, Carol S., owner Gabelle Kennels, takes our deposit, cashes it after one week of our puppies death, spends it in Disney, does not contact us or return our calls for one month. Then all contact stopped from Carol S. We still do not have our deposit. As of August 6, 2010 we were advised that Carol Sutton does indeed have a "home phone" as well as a cell phone. She uses her home phone for advertising for her daycare that she also runs out of her home. So, even though she stated that her "cell phone got wet in Disney and didn't work" and that she couldn't contact us her home phone that she has had for many years, worked. She returned from Disney on March 14,2010 and would not call us or answer her cell phone until March 22, 2010.

We finally heard from Carol after filing a complaint that is now posted on the web. Five months after that fact and still no deposit! She said, "if we clear her name she would send our deposit back". We want our deposit of $220.00. We will continue to do what is right. We will contact every legal institution, every advocacy, every consumer we can to protect the next person that may consider to deal with Carol S. She should be ashamed of herself. Carol S. is a dishonest woman. We truly believe that every dog has its day! advise. We were scammed out of $220. It is economic loss for us.She has been making us "jump through hoops" to get our deposit back.

Original review: May 15, 2010

On April 1, 2010 we purchased an 8-week old male Morkie from Ms. ** for $550. While the puppy was not vet-checked, she did guarantee his health. Several weeks later, we took the puppy to a vet for an exam and vaccinations. We were told he had a serious heart murmur. To understand the pup's health issue, we had to get him examined by a veterinary cardiologist, which cost $530. At this time, we learned that the puppy has a severe congenital heart defect that is only corrected through a procedure that opens a defective heart valve. Without this procedure, the puppy will die; and there is no guarantee that he will survive the procedure.

The veterinary specialist recommended that we send the puppy's health report to the breeder (Ms. **) to assure that the puppy's parents are neutered. Ms. ** would not listen to this advice and refused to consider refunding our money. We only want a healthy dog and feel that Ms. ** is irresponsible in breeding and selling puppies and that potential buyers should be warned of the consequences. To save this puppy's life, we will be investing approximately $4000. We've also suffered emotional stress in managing the puppy's health issues. We've contacted Ms. ** several times and she absolutely will not consider taking any financial responsibility for the puppy's health.

Original review: April 22, 2010

First off, I love my sweet baby more than the world and would not trade her for anything! I know she has a wonderful loving home here with myself and my husband and will take care of all her needs. I purchased my yorkie April 2009. During the past year she had kennel cough, skin infection, teeth removed, and two very bad knee caps that required surgery. This has cost almost $10,000 (also had pet insurance which does not cover much, by the way).

Worldwide Puppies was contacted on my year date contract. They offered me $1800 towards another puppy from their store with my vet medical papers showing the knee surgery diagnosis. I was naive when I went into the store and thought they were using reputable breeders. Little did I know until I paid and saw she was from Missouri. I hate to see someone suffer as I have emotionally and a dog suffers emotionally and physically.

This needs to be stopped. There are reputable breeders out there and also healthier and not as costly. The economic damage is huge vet bills that pet insurance companies do not cover. All of my puppy’s illnesses were not covered and the small amount it did cover was not worth the insurance premium. My heart breaks when I see my puppy have to stay at the hospital and nobody should be selling or promoting puppy mills.

Original review: April 11, 2010

Susan and I had a contract for me to purchase a Yorkshire terrier puppy from her for $1,000. I was supposed to put $500 down and pay cash for the rest when it was time to pick him up. I wired her the money, and after giving her the confirmation code, she turned around and informed me that she had changed her mind and would not be selling me the puppy. And that since her deposits are non refundable, and I signed the contract stating such, I would not be receiving my $500 back. Not to mention the $637 I spent on the plane tickets to fly from Utah to Indiana, she is a horrible person and a bad scammer! Please don't purchase puppies from her in the future!

Original review: March 10, 2010

I purchased a Tea Cup Yorkshire Terrier on 1/16/10. On 1/21, I had to rush the puppy to a vet because he would not eat or drink. He was having trouble breathing and had a discharge from his nose. He stayed at the vet for the afternoon to receive IV treatments for low blood sugar. The vet claimed he was underweight and unhealthy and I should return him. He wrote a letter about the dog's health. This vet no longer wanted to treat the puppy because of his fragile state.

I took the puppy to a new vet (the pet store would not take him back) on 2/1 because the medications were not working and the puppy continued to grow weaker. This vet claimed the puppy had Pneumonia. He took x-rays, blood tests, etc. It took three different antibiotics and many visits to get the puppy healthy again. I submitted all of the bills and the x-rays to the pet store.

After weeks of getting a runaround, they are only paying $252.41 of my bill. Their letter states that the puppy was not suffering from pneumonia but kennal cough. They never examined the puppy. They also stated the puppy had an intestinal parasite (which he never was treated for) and that they are not required to pay for either kennal cough or parasites.

They quote New York State Law Article 35-D as the reason. I am aware of the New York Pet Lemon Law that states differently. I should have received $1,000 (the purchase price of the puppy). My economic damage is substantial. I purchased a puppy for $1,000 and had to spend over $1000 on vet bills related to his illness. This cost does not include regular vet bills for boosters, shots check-ups etc. This was much more costly than I anticipated. I would not have purchased this puppy for over $2,000. I am planning to pursue this and I am contacting my vet to discuss how I can prove the puppy had pneumonia not kennal cough, and no parasite issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Breeders Club of America?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

We purchased a 6wk old Gold-Rush golden puppy from Gold-Rush kennells in Princeton N.J. on 5-12-08. Over a year later, we started to notice how the dog walks with difficulty at times, appearing to be in pain. During an exam at the vets on 8-25-09, the doctor discovered the dog to have Right Medial Patella Luxation, grade III/IV. The doctor suggested we notify the breeder because he feels this is an in-breeding problem and the breeder should be aware.

We notified the breeder via e-mail but no response was given to us. The computer shows that the message was indeed received. Again several months later, we e-mailed the breeder again looking for advice, because the vets feel this dog will require expensive surgery soon due to pain issues. Again the computer shows that the message was received but we have yet to get a response. Our Puppy guarantee after the date of purchase is good for only six months. This problem was noticed after a year old. My biggest problem with the breeder is the total silence. Thus, causing us to never use or recommend this breeder again. And of course, we have a dog in pain with an expensive and large surgical procedure pending.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2010

I bought an AKC male Chihuahua pup from Robin **. She had brought the wrong health certificate. She was going to mail the correct one to me (I have not received it since she agreed to take pup back). I have learned that the pup is deaf, has a cleft nose, and a heart murmur. I do have a more detailed document, if needed. Robin said she would give me my money back. She does not have the money, so I am to wait until she gets it. It has been a week. I have had the pup for 2 weeks.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2009

We purchased a "show" quality male rottweiler August 2008 from this breeder. The dog was welped on 6-14-08. We paid $2500. for the dog.

As per our contract we sent the breeder $20 to register the dog with the AKC under the name Bruno. The contract states that within 6 months the dog would be registered under our name with the AKC. We have repeatedly tried to contact the breeder with no results. the dog to the best of our knowledge is still not registered with the AKC therefore we can not breed or show the dog.
Original review: July 24, 2009

On April 10, 2009, I purchased a female boxer puppy from Breeders Association of America, Inc. Almost from the day the dog came home, she exhibited signs of being sick. Vomiting, lack of digesting food, she had something once that resembled a seizure and what was the most frightening was the dog's lack of weight gain. I was in constant contact with the pet store and the vet regarding her condition. At one point, the pet store paid for some testing to be done on her which of course came back inconclusive. But as the months passed, the dog's condition just kept worsening. For months, it seemed that me and my children were just watching this poor animal die a slow and painful death. On her last visit to the vet, which was July 11, 2009, the vet described her condition as "completely emaciated" and I was informed that she would need extensive diagnostic testing, which would be very expensive.

I explained to the vet that I financially could not afford that. He then stated that he would talk to the pet store in my behalf. But I feel I must mention that the vet and the pet store work in conjunction with each other that is why the vet refused me an "unfit for purchase" paper because he did not want to rock the boat with his business relationship with the pet store. To no avail, the pet store again refused to help me. Well finally on July 18, 2009, in the middle of my daughter's sweet sixteen party, the dog became so violently ill. It was clear to me that she was dying. Family and friends were very scared and some were crying. I immediately called the vet, he was closed and then called the pet store and began my argument. They told me under no circumstances would I be issued a refund, only store credit. They told me to bring the dog into an emergency veterinary hospital. I explained I could not possibly afford that.

We argued back and forth on the phone for about a half an hour while the dog continued to be violently ill, throwing up uncontrollably. They finally agreed to allow me to bring the dog back into them, but I would at that point be signing over all my rights to her and receiving a store credit. Under much duress and pain and suffering, I brought the dog into them, signed the paper and have never heard a word from them since. I don't know if the dog died? If they put her down? Did they invest the money to try and find out what was wrong with her? Or, my worst nightmare, did they just turn around and resold this sick dog to someone else? These people of this establishment are cold, calculating, scam artists that care nothing about the welfare of these poor animals or for the people who purchase them. Someone really should find a way to have this place shut down forever so an end can be put to the hurting of innocent animals and innocent people.

Original review: April 30, 2009

On April 11, 2008 my sister and I went to look at puppies from Breeders Association of America. I fell in love with a beautiful male Golden Retriever puppy. The purchase price they were asking was for $4,300.00 and We asked them if this was a show quality dog they said "no" and lowered the price to $800.00. We then asked them if this puppy was from a certified breeder and they assured me that he was and said that I would get his papers upon purchase. I bought the dog and have had him for a little over a year. We have been training this dog since we purchased him and to date, he still will not be disciplined. He continues to try to dominate the household even though we have taken him to various trainers and tried all different types of training. Further, within the past month, he has shown aggression problems with food. I took him for further training and this time brought him to Breeders Association for training with him. The next day, I fed the dog and he started to growl at me. When I put him in a sit position and sternly told him no growl, he turned and bit my hand, drawing blood from three fingers. I called the trainer at Breeders and she told me it was "just an obedience issue, the dog needs more training". I have two small children at home, 4 and 6 years old. They witnessed the dog biting me and are now afraid of the dog. I explained to them that the dog could not stay in the house and that growling and biting with food is a highly unusual behavior for a Golden Retriever. They told me that if I just trained him more that he would never bit again. I called my vet and explained to him the situation and he told me that if I did continue to train this animal that it might work but it would be a risk to the children that I would have to make a decision. The vet further told me that after looking at all the problems with training and dominence issues, that he believed that there might be something wrong with the dog from breeding. I called the Humane Society to see if they would take him and they told me that they could never adopt him out because he bit. I called the Shore Hearts Golden Retriever Rescue group and got a crazy lady named Lana Winter on the line who told me to "take responsibility for myself and put the dog down myself instead of trying to dump the dog on her." I was just trying to explore other options for the dog other than putting him down. Today, both my husband and myself spoke with the owner of Breeders Association and he told us just to train the dog more. When we told him that we wanted to have them take the dog back and we wanted our money back, he told us that he was covered by his contract and that it was our problem. We asked for information about the dog's parents and he told us that he "might be able to get us that information but he wasn't sure". I am going to have blood work done on the dog before we put him to sleep and if we find anything to suggest that the dog is inbred, we will be going to small claims court!

Breeders Club Of America Company Information