2. Pets
  3. Dog Food

Simmons Pet Food
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Simmons Pet Food Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

purchased berkley and jensen cat food

Original review: Dec. 6, 2008

During the recall of food containing melanin from China. my feline became ill and she was diagnosed with acute renal failure.I had to administer meds and bolus IV fluids to facilitate her recovery. This was successful for a short period of time. second time she was unable to recover. The following attack was unfortunately unsuccessful. She became despondent and no tx would alliviate the severe condition.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2008

Two of my cats had diarrhoea after eating Whiskas Temptations treats (tasty chicken flavor).

Original review: Sept. 16, 2008

In light of the recent recall of Mars petfood dry foods, I would like to add the following information. I have been feeding my two cats small amounts of the Mars Petfood product called whiskas TEMPTATIONS dry cat treats, These are sold in sealed 3 ounce bags. For the past six months, I have noticed that these treats made my cats ill a short time after consuming them. Every time the cats were fed the small treats, they later became ill, vomiting and diareah.

I decided to see if, in fact, it was actually the treats, so I have been following a regimen of witholding any treats for one week at a time, then resuming giving my cats their usual portions of the treats twice per day for two or three days. Each time I resumed giving the treats, the cats once again began vomiting and having loose stools. Several different flavors all produced the identical response.

I have now thrown away all flavors of these treats and the episodes of vomiting and diareah have ceased. The cats also seem to feel better, be more lively, and responsive. I have come to the concluson tat the TEMPTATIONS cat treats are responsible for their mysterious recurring stomach/digestive problems. I think Mars Petcare should also test these products for salmonella contamination, as soon as possible.

The economic situation is these treats are expensive. The physical damage is that my two cats suffered illness and discomfort from a commercially prepared pet treat which sickened them repeatedly. A third annoyance is the repeated necessity of having to clean up vomit every day. I take excellent care of my animals and unknowingly was causing them harm, resulting in great distress and guilt on my part.

Original review: May 30, 2008

tainted pet food caused cat to be ill and had to be put to sleep due to kidney levels and functions and another cat had to be put on medication for kidney problems due to recalled pet food 3-07

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simmons Pet Food?

Original review: April 3, 2008

I am sorry but I really don't know what to do. All I know is that I purchased cat food from Walmart and my cat got really sick. I took her to the vet's because I heard on TV what had happen to the food. My vet hadn't heard anything about this so he throught that something else was wrong with her. He gave me some medicine for her but she didn't get any better.

So the next week I took her back and now this food deal was all over the TV and newspapers. He took blood and found that she was in kidney failure so he keep her for a while and ran a IV in her. That helped her to be a little better but my cat is not the cat that she once was. She is not doing well again and I am going to have to take her back to the vet's. When this first happen I called a number that I once had and I talked to someone that was taking the information on this. I called them twice and both times I was told that someone would call me back because Menu foods will pay my vet bills and I never heard from anyone. And now I don't know what to do or how to contact anyone about this.

Original review: April 3, 2008

I almost lost my dog on 12/25/06. She would not eat all of a sudden, except food scraps, then nothing at all. Then she would not drink anything. I was outside cleaning up the yard from her when I saw her moving very slowly, she then was dragging her back foot and then she fell over on her side. I was able to catch her as she fell. I rushed inside with her, she vomited all over the place and was listless. We found an emergency clinic and took her. Her liver and kidneys were shutting down. She had to get fluids for her dehydration and steroids to make her eat and some type of medication to calm her stomach. Previous to this, she made a blood curdling sound as she was trying to have a bowel movement on our walk. I picked her up and carried her the rest of the way home. We went to the vet's office on our way out of town. No one knew about the pet food recalls from Menu Foods yet. I just started feeding her table food as that is all she was interested in eating. I guess that decision saved her life.

I have 3 vet bills, of approximately $600.00. I cannot be accurate without them in front of me. I have the copies in a file.

Original review: June 10, 2007

I have reason to believe my dog died due to the recently recalled Ol'Roy Dog food. It started with poor vision, then he began to be very sluggish until one day he could not even lift him self up off the floor. He was not old by any means and was very active and healthy.

He was my very first pet. One that was taken away from our family way too soon. I do not believe companies should be able to ship products that have not been tested for things like this!

Original review: June 3, 2007

Fed my puppies tainted dry dog food not included in the recall. 1 dog got very sick, 1 dog died.

Dogs are chattel under the law. But I deeply feel the pain of his death and feel it was my responsibility to protect him from things under my control, (ie his food).

Original review: May 28, 2007

i fed our 7 year old dog nutramax senior dry food and 4 cans of nutramax at the end of march, 2007. within the next week our dog was deathly ill with kidney failure. he was in the hospital for 6 days and came home, we cared for him at home for 8 days and he just got worse so we put him to sleep. this is the only change to his diet in the past 2 years. he has eaten only 1 other food, farm and fleet dry, a local brand. i know he did not get sick from that food because we also feed that food to our pet rats and they are fine. only after i gave him those nutromax products did he become sick.

Simmons Pet Food Company Information