Simmons Pet Food

Looking for a good dog food brand?

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Looking for a good dog food brand?

Simmons Pet Food Reviews

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I purchased Retriever brand canned dog food for my mother's Australian Shepherd and he seemed to like it. A few weeks later, I began giving a couple tablespoons of the canned food to my purebred collie, mixed with his kibble, each night. My mother's Aussie began experiencing terrible seizures, which we attributed to his age - about 9 years old. Soon after, I rushed to the side of my collie who had a seizure that lasted several minutes. Both dogs had same onset symptoms. My mother and I live miles apart and our dogs were not in the same household or yard at any time. The only common denominator was the Retriever canned food. I did my research and discovered that Simmons (Menu) Pet Foods were part of the largest pet food recall in US history back in 2006 (maybe that resulted in the name change).

Further research through several veterinarians and the folks at the USDA indicated that Menu/Simmons pet food company is still utilizing euthanized animals, rendering them down (the meat-by-products on the label presumably), but not testing to ensure the euthanasia drugs like ** are absent before the foods are canned. Unfortunately, most dogs cannot metabolize such drugs and after the poisons build up in a dog's brain, the levels can become toxic, causing mental 'episodes', seizures, or even death. DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG RETRIEVER PET FOODS. There were also a few complaints about the dry foods.

Retriever brand canned foods are sold/distributed by Tractor Supply Company. Not the best product for their store name to be handling. It only took me a week to collect the research, Simmons/Menu foods practices, info from the USDA (if you leave a message, someone will call you back from the closest office in your area), and several other review sites. I understand that there are minimal pet food manufacturing regulations in place to keep animals safe, but the USDA and others absolutely need to step up and ensure that euthanized animals and poisonous drugs are not allowed as any ingredient in pet foods. Period.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

I was going to mail the can of Mighty Dog back to the company, but didn't have the full address, so I had to throw it away. There was something all over the food inside of the can & smelled awful. I have use Mighty Dog for 15 years & never had this problem. What could be wrong with this can of Mighty Dog? I'm not sure if I want to buy anymore. Wish I could have mailed it to you & have it checked out.

Get expert buying tips about Dog Food delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2011

On December 6, 2011, my cat suddenly died. The day before that, I gave him Temptations treats and shortly after he started vomiting and his hind legs got paralyzed. I took him to the veterinary; he died next day in the morning. I still have this food and I would like to test it. I need help.

Original review: July 15, 2010

I purchased 3 bags of Retriever Bits & Bones, 50 lbs. bag on sale. I switched my toy poodles to this. The next day, I noticed the male acting strange. I noticed a little blood in the cage and next day, a lot more blood. I thought maybe he had hookworms. I deworm every month but thought maybe I didn't give him enough. Next day, lots of blood and he was very weak. I took him to vet, he was on IVS for a week. It cost over $1,000 to save him. I can't prove it, but there had to be something in that dog food. It didn't seem to affect the other dogs, but he would have died.

The vet thought he got a hold of insulation or something similar. But there is no way he did. He is in the cage all the time, there is nothing in the cage but water and food, his doghouse. Something was in the food that he got. I have been buying retriever dog food for over 10 years from local TSC company. I will never buy it again. It comes from the national TN plant. I couldn't find it on the list of recalls, but it needs to be checked. The dog was near-death and was given a 10 % chance of making it. His insides were turned to mush. He has to heal, if possible, he is still on antibiotics. He has to be rechecked by vet more than 1 time.

Original review: June 11, 2010

I made claim for reimbursement due to pet food recall in 2007. I still have heard or received nothing monetarily.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simmons Pet Food?

Original review: May 12, 2010

I was unaware of any class action lawsuits filed with regard to the pet food recall of 2007, thus I am not included in the class. Are you aware of any other class action suits that are still considered open? As a result of eating cat food and treats made by some of the manufacturers in the "Lum" suit, my cat developed kidney problems, as well as a huge mass on his neck. He was put down yesterday. I spent in excess of $1000 for treatments and examinations with three different vets.

Original review: July 15, 2009

My dog became very ill from eating this dog food, so I took her to the vet. She is still recovering. The store manager where I bought the food said maybe the can was damaged and open. She wouldn't eat, was vomiting, with diarrhea and dehydrated. I almost lost her and then the two dogs I had got sick too, not as bad as her, and all they have done is to send me a coupon for $6 to compensate for the over $400 vet bill and the worry and stress I still live with. She's just not the same. Thank you very much. The consumers need to know this, I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Original review: March 31, 2009

I fed my dog the tainted dog food & he died. I submitted all vet records to substantiate my claim.

Please respond. Thank you,
      Original review: Jan. 24, 2009

Been feeding homeless cat for a couple years and allowed him to stay in garage. Recently tried Friskies canned cat food on sale at Ralphs Grocery. I began to notice the cat's behavior changing in strange ways...urinary habits, loss of appetite, apathy, weakness, loss of mobility. He fell in a large opening, and after I retrieved him, he drank water for over an hour. Also had a bad odor...became unable to move...had to be euthanized. I believe the cat food caused his illness and death as the symptoms are common to that circumstance.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

purchased berkley and jensen cat food

Simmons Pet Food Company Information