1.67/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

LitterMaid

Looking for a good dog food brand?

LitterMaid Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2009

I'm on my 3rd Littermaid box. Petsmart just keeps giving me a new one every time I return the broken one I have purchases. Each time it's something new that breaks on the litter box. No one answers the 1-800 number on the instruction manual. Can't get any help. VERY frustrating!!

Original review: March 13, 2009

The quality of product is so bad that it does not work and I can't even take it back to Petsmart because the flyer that came with tells you that you can't return it to the store and can only contact either by phone or on-line.

Original review: March 13, 2009

I purchased a litermaid automatic box cleaner. It did not perform like they said or advertised. It does not self clean. The product does not do what they said it would. I purchased this product to save me some time, but I still have to sift the liter. The product doesn't go close enough to the bottom of the box. As any cat owner knows, cats bury their elimination. I'very disapointed. False advertising, great idea if it worked.

Original review: March 11, 2009

I am on my SECOND Littermaid litter box. I received the first one as a gift from my mother after rescuing three kittens from the junk yard by my home. It worked for about a month before it started running constantly - the rake would rake up the litter, return to the start position, and then run again. I had to manually turn it off to get it to stop and turn it on several times each day to keep the box clean.

When I attempted to contact the company using the phone number in the instruction manual, I repeatedly got all lines are busy messages and was many times transferred directly to their voice mail system. No one ever returned ANY of my messages. My mother was finally able to get through to them after spending nearly an hour on hold and got them to replace the defunct litter box. I am now on my SECOND box, and after less than a week of use I'm having the same problem. The rake runs constantly even though I've taken it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, made sure there were NO blocks anywhere.
      Original review: Feb. 28, 2009

rake broke after only a couple of months. They do not offer replacement part and you can't get anyone at this company to call back or respond to complaint form on web site. This is the second one I have purchased and the first one the motor burned up after only about 6 months of use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2009

I have made attempts to contact this company about a rake that broke after only a couple of months of use and this is the second litter box purchased from them. They will not return my call or answer my email. There is no telephone number listed so I can't contact them by telephone. I am tired of shotty workmanship and I want something done!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2009

I have purchased the Littermaid Litter Box. I have had to replace it twice. I had a Littermaid previously, The old Littermaid worked great. The upgrade on the Litter Box is terrible. It keeps jamming up and I have to unplug the box for about 12 hours just so it resets. It only works for about 6 hours then I have to unplug it again. I am extremely unsatified with this upgrade.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2009

I am on my second Littermaid. I must say that the one I had previously was not as hard to clean, didn't get stuck as often, and did not make such a big mess. I believe I had that one for two years. The newest purchase is an elite, which gets stuck constantly,it is a total pain to clean, I too have dealt with the urine clump at the bottom which the rake doesn't ever seem to pick up. The tray that catches the feces just doesn't seem to want to stay in the slot it has been placed, so much of the urine filled litter is broken into pieces all over the floor. This new model is a down grade more than anything.....to bad people cannot be protected from such poor quality of merchandise without the company having to refund their money.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2009

I have a lot of Cats so we have 3 LitterMaids which only 6 Cats use. The problem is that I am just over my 1 year warranty and 2 of them are going bad. One is completely fried. It was working fine until I unplugged it to move it when I put it back in place and refilled it the motor only wants to go backwards and stops. The other wants to run all the time. It does it's pass to clean the box, comes back to the beginning, stops, and then starts up again immediatly. I have left it shut off then I go in a few times a day and turn it on, let it clean, then shut it off again. No one answers when I call and I am over the warranty by just a few weeks.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2009

I called the toll free no. for e-mail address, hope this is it. I have purchased 3 littermaids in 3 1/2 years. The motor must burn up. No I don't under or overfill. Lots of money for something that keeps burning up. Have a daughter that has had one for 4 years.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2009

I, too, bought the littermade electric kitty litter box and I am terribly disappointed. The tray doesn't stay in place and I have kitty litter all over the floor. And the tines of the rake get clogged all the time. Am now looking for a better electric kitty litter box or I'll go back to a plain ordinary kitty litter box

Original review: Jan. 18, 2009

I've had 3 Littermaid litter boxes. The first one I bought in 2002 or so and worked fine. I unfortunately lost that one in a move. Now I have 2 Littermaid litter boxes. One is the single cat one and the other is the Mega Elite. The single one constantly pops and grinds when the rake moves. It doesn't really even scoop the waste into the receptacle. I have to scoop the thing several times a day. I also have to dig and scrape the bottom of the tray because of the wet waste the clumps get stuck to the tray like cement. I've broken several scoopers doing this. The Mega Elite I've had for about 2 weeks. The rake got hung in the middle of the litter box and something snapped. I took the housing off and looked underneath to find that a little plastic part under there that is connected to a power ribbon had snapped in two. Now the rake is just stuck in the middle of the box and won't do anything even if I reset the box. It's like the motor is not getting any power. I paid $170.00 for it ($182.00 after taxes) and I'm extremely dissappointed that it has such shoddy workmanship. I, unfortunately, lost the receipt. I really didn't think I would need it because even though the other one pops and grinds and I have to scoop it a lot, it still sort of works. I figured since this one was bigger and supposed to have a better motor that it would work better. That was a mistake I'll not make again. I only work a part-time job and I would not have paid that much money for it if I had known what a piece of crap it was. The reason I bought it in the first place is because I love my cats and I want them to be as healthy as possible. I alos hate digging around in cat poop and pee, but that was only a secondary reason for the purchase. Now, I don't know what to do.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2009

If you don't read any further read this first paragraph. If you are thinking of purchacing a Litter Maid litter box save your money, don't do it.

We are always cleaning the box as it just makes a bigger mess than the cat leaves. The forks are always clogged and pieces of feces are left after the rake makes it's pass. It seems the rakes are to high and not doing their job. Also, we are always scraping the tray for urine that is stuck to it. Note that I have been using the word always and that is exactly what it is, always a mess. It will also break pieces into small particles that then become difficult to remove, even with the hand scoop. We have followed the instructions to the letter, even the part where it suggests coating the tray and fork's with a nonstick cooking spray. We do use premium clumping too. I have come to the conclusion to simply use the lower section for a litter box and get rid of the mechanical part, it will be a wery expensive litter box.
      Original review: Jan. 17, 2009

I have had THREE Littermaid elite 9000 in the past three months. I will never again own a littermaid elite. the motor is too weak to push NOTHING around, let alot a lump of stuff left by my little kitten1 This is rediculous.. The only responses I get from littermaid are the same spam something is in the way of the rake for it to return home instructions that are absolutely basic. I'm aware that if there was something in it's way.. and NOTHING is there. I cannot believe I wasted my money on this litterbox... I let littermaid know by leaving them this wonderful message:

I am VERY aware of the solution you will be sending me regarding my issue, because I have sent the same issue to you going on 4 times now! There is nothing in the way of my rake (because there is NO litter in the box) and yet it will continuously go back and forth it's 5 times. I looked on the side of the rake, behind, under, above, EVERYWHERE and nothing is in it's way. There is not a clump of poop anywhere to effect it from doing its job. I have had nothing but issues with this Elite 9000, and from all the research i've done (SADLY after I purchased this product) it seems EVERYONE hates this litter box. It is very useless and a huge waste of money. My litter box lasted a WEEK before it defaulted back into it's constant raking. I've cleaned it SPOTLESS and it will not stop. I've scrubbed this item clean and it still will not work properly. Is there not a satisfactory guarantee somewhere? I will never again buy from littermaid if this is the type of product i receive each time a replacement is mailed to me. Please do not email me instructions to fix this issue, because nothing you guys have said have EVER helped the faulty computer chip and the weak rake motor. ________________________________
      Original review: Jan. 13, 2009

My Littermaid only lasted 6 weeks. I don't have the receipt or box. My cat is still a kitten, he doesn't even have big poop yet.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2009

i have had 3 litte maids with each supposedly being an upgrade.The first one was the basic model under $100 adn the motor butned out after 4 months, the second one was the delux model for 2 cats and that to burnt out. The most recetn one is 2 months old and when putting together, the plastic guide that lifts the receptacle broke off first day and then the rake part with the 2 little balls at the corners that helps move it down towards the receptacle both broke off. If i had saved parts from the first one or second one i may have a complete box. I know why Litter maid does not offer replacement parts. they would be doing more replacement then units actually being purchased.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2009

This is our second littermaid in two years. The first one kept on running to claen the box, littermaid replaced it. The Second one was great until we hit the year mark once again, continually keeps cleaning. I called the 800 number unable to get through, it said phone lines all busy. I do like the product otherwise, a little messy, but it does work, until you hit the one year mark. They need to address this problem.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2009

I bought the LitterMaid Mega Elite aprroximately five months ago. I had to switch out THREE different boxes until one finally worked OK. Petco was great about swapping them out. However, I have had to scoop out a lot of poops myself and the poop often ends up on the floor. However, it worked reasonably well until a few days ago when I found two little plastic parts mixed in with the litter. Apparently, something had broken off and the back end to the unit was rising up while the rake would only scrape about half way clean. I was determined to buy a different brand and simply junk this one. However, I was at Wal-mart and we were very pressed for time and the only unit available was the smaller unit, so I went ahead and bought it thinking that maybe a smaller unit would have so much trouble raking. (Apparently, LitterMaid uses the same sized receptacle for ALL their units.) Anyhow, I set up the new one, put in the batteries and plugged it in. Everything seemed fine and it was much quieter than the larger one. About an hour or so later, however, I went back and the light wasn't on! The entire unit had died within minutes. I called LitterMaid in the morning and they said they would send me a new unit (they didn't hesitate, so apparently this business of the units dying immediately isn't news to them). They also agreed to send me a new rake for the old unit. They were aware of this problem, too -- the plastic wheels on the rake break off! I must say that both times I have called LitterMaid, I have been put on hold and have had do deal with EXTREMELY RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS tech help. They aren't very good at explaining issues and they get angry easily and mouth off at the customer. I have a master's degree, so following reasonable instructions is something I am good at. I wish this company would go out of business. Their products are horrible. I have friends who had the older versions and were very happy. It's obvious that they have skimped on quality with their later designs, using cheap plastic whenever possible. I use the best, most expensive cat litter and I don't overfill.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2009

Bought a cat litter box (LitterMaid) automatic litter cleaner, but never worked good. I think they should be made to recall these inferior LitterMaids, refund people's money or a gift certificate. I had one a few years ago and it worked great till the motor burnt out and then I purchased this mega one and it's terrible. Makes more mess than the cats. I read the reviews and there are a lot of unhappy people over these litter boxes.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2009

I have owned a LitterMaid since they first came out and I have never had a problem. My first LitterMaid quit working five years after I had it. I called the 800 number and they sent me a replacement for free. If people are having trouble with the rakes not working, you may be putting too much cat litter in the box and if you use silicone spray on the rakes, it keeps the litter from sticking on the rakes. You have to use fine cat litter and you do not need much. Do not go over the line that is marked in the litter box. Reading the manual helps. It gives you a lot of good types.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

I purchased a Litter Maid Elite Mega, but it's not quite what I had expected. If you fill the unit with Premium Litter to the suggested line, 90% of the waste receptacle will be filled with "clean" litter and only 10% will be from the cat. The Rake also has a hard time moving back and forth by itself and requires that I "help" it along. Additionally, I have to manually clean the unit several times a week. Just a month ago, the rake itself finally broke. I was going to buy a new one, but after reading all of the reviews on this site, I'll see if I can just fix it myself. So, until then, I've been cleaning the litter box manually, the whole reason I purchased this unit in the first place was to prevent this.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2008

We owned 2 Littermaids. Each died after a few years. Because we were happy with the product, we bought the new model-the Mega. It is worthless. The motor is too weak to rake the feces from the litter. Their website says you can return it w/in 30 days, but has no address or contact information, except an 800 number and email address. We sent an email, but no reply. The place we purchased the unit told us to deal witrh Littermaid. We will use their competitor's product.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2008

My unit has trouble with the rake moving back and forth nonstop, and i found that the problem is with the switch that the rake comes in contact with to shut it off - the rake just wasn't quite making it. I padded the switch with a little paper and some tape, and now it shuts off every time.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2008

We bought our littermaid plus from wal-mart in June '07. It worked too well at 1st ...it would pass, and pass, and pass. The unit passed 5 times everytime the cats used it.It scared my 2 cats. They refused to use it. Soon they began to use my laundry basket on my work clothes, then they graduated to my rugs. Finally they began to use it and it stopped making so many passes. Just as they were comfortable my husband and I were awakend 4 nights a week with a loud banging. It seemed that the gears were stripped. The banging was unnerving from a sound sleep. We then had to turn it off before bed so that we wouldn't get the day lights scared out of us. With in a few weeks it stopped working all together and now it's just work. Taking that unit apart to clean it and going through the motions to do what I payed $90 not to do.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2008

I have to admit we had a good experience with our first littermaid mega automatic litter box. It did it's job as advertised for about 5 years with 2 cats using it. When the motor burned out we had no reservations buying another. However our second experience was terrible. The new unit cost 190.00 and was a waist. From the first time we set it up as the directions instructed the motor was so weak it could not pass through the litter before the cats ever used it. We took it back and got another. Same results. Took it back and got a third unit and same thing. Complete junk. Lost this loyal customer. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

I have had a LitterMaid in the past and loved it! So, I now have two of the newer ones -- one I bought and the other was a gift -- and the boxes themselves are great -- it's the receptacles I have a problem with. They don't seem to fit right. If I get one side under the tabs, the other side slips out -- and if I get both sides under the tabs, the middle bows out. I have complained and complained to the LitterMaid Company and they have tried to satisfy me by sending me two different sets of receptacles at no charge -- but they are all the same. It seems that once the box is assembled, the opening for the receptacle is not wide enough to fit the length of the receptacal. It's a frustration. I am keeping the boxes because my cats seem to like them -- but they are nothing like the ones I had in the '90's. The boxes produced in the years since 2000 seem to have a LOT of complaints from consumers.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2008

Contacted litter maid regarding their new automatic litter maid box w/ionic and carbon filters. In the past have had several old style litter maid boxes without all the frills and they lasted about 3 years or so and I was satisfied with that and purchased another. This time I could not locate another and had to settle for this new style. It does not rake the litter; it does not cycle. The only time I get it to cycle is to plug and unplug. My older style machines were never a problem. Now the cats were litering outside their box, so I put in a non auto box and they prefer it as I scoop it clean whereas the automatic one does not clean. The manufacturer will replace my new machine ($169) for an older model ($99) but will not refund the difference. They said I need to take it to the retailer, however I did not save the box, so the retailer will not take it back even though I have a receipt. They also advised my purchase of 11/26/08 was out of warranty with their warranty (1 Year from manufacturing), so it obviously sat on the shelf. I guess you need to call the manufacturer when purchasing a unit to be sure it is still under warranty and not an old product on the retailer shelf.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2008

I purchased a Littermaid Elite model self cleaning litter box in July of 08 from PetCo. 5 months later, it no longer works. The rake was constantly getting clogged with litter and the motor appeared to be on its last leg every time the sensor was tripped. We used the recommended litter and even filled it below the recommended fill line. At the end of its short 5 month life, it started cycling constantly. We had to disconnect the power supply, much to my cats dismay, and scoop it out manually. I spent $190 on a product that is totally unsatisfactory and believe that the manufacturers should totally be held responsible and refund the consumers hard earned money.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2008

I just wanted to comment on the Littermaid cat boxes, I've had mine for over 15 years. One I kept on the porch, in all kinds of weather, and to this day they still both work. However my son moved into a new townhouse, so I bought him one as a gift, it has been nothing but a pain in the a--. So evidentally Litter maid has decided to go with cheaper building products, of their new machines. I was thinking of purchasing a new one, but after my sons experience, and reading all the complaints the comsumers are haveing, which mirror my sons problems, I cannot afford to spend money on a product that evidentlly no longer works.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2008

I have owned 3 Litter-Maid cat boxes in a period of 2 years. Either the rake stopped working or the sensors quit working. My wife and myself kept the boxes cleaned constantly but to no avail. Way to much money spent on such a sorry product. Rest assured I won't buy another one of their products!

LitterMaid Company Information