2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

LitterMaid Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

I purchased a LitterMaid Elite. I previously had a LitterMaid Pro that I dearly loved, and the Elite model was a huge disappointment as there was constant odor and spillage of the litter under the tray, which did not fit well. I have recently replaced it with a manual scooping litter box.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2011

I agree with all the complaints I have read about the LitterMaid Elite Series for multi-cat households. I, too, had the older version--LitterMaid Pro--and it worked fine, was sturdy, and not too messy. The Elite Series is a piece of junk! It is very flimsy, doesn't stay together so you can't pick it up easily, doesn't clean out urine clumps, leaks litter from where the top and the bottom meet, and where the litter tray meets the box. I am so sorry that I bought this "newer, better" version. I am glad that I kept the old one.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2011

I owned an original LitterMaid for almost 13 years. Actually, I owned two over that period. They worked well. When my current one died of old age, I purchased the Elite, which was all that I could find. It is a piece of junk. Sand is poured under the box. The pieces keep falling off. Urine sticks to the sides instead of being pushed into the bin. I am junking it and kissing $120 good bye. I don't know what I will replace it with. But I am terribly disappointed with a company that could cheapen their product this much.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2011

Automatic litter box stopped working 30 days after purchase. Eight runaround emails later and no return phone calls (which were promised in emails), I still have a broken litter box that I paid $175 for. I basically had to break apart the unit to find the things they want returned (at my additional cost). Some of them do not exist in the unit. Now on the 8th email, they were basically giving me the runaround verbatim from the first email.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2011

I have had a couple of LitterMaids for years, so I decided to buy the eliteMLE5500 when my other one died. I hate it; hate it every day it is being used. I still have to scrape out waste because the rack does not get it all, and the urine sticks to the pan. It is useless for the money we pay for them! I am going back to the older style, at least they work right. I am so fed up with the elite model that I am ready to throw it out the door, and I only have 1 cat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2011

It's the same sad story. I owned the LitterMaid box for one year. The string got caught in the tines. Since it was under warranty, they replaced it. I always had to clean the box with a scooper because the tines never seemed to clean it up. Finally, it stopped working. I called to complain and they offered me another one for $99. I'm back to a simple litter tray and I'm scooping. It is way easier and a lot less messy! What's up with this company?

Original review: July 2, 2011

The new litter replace cardboard - one soak right through. Now I needed to clean my rug. I am still happy with the LitterMaid but not with the cardboard replacement. You need to do a better study of this replacement. I would like somebody to call me or replace my money for the pans and carpet cleaning. Thank you.

Original review: May 16, 2011

I have purchased the Littermaid Elite self-cleaning litter box, not once but four times over the past 10 years. These things are a piece of junk. My first auto litter box was by Sharper Image and it lasted a very long time. When it finally gave out, I have been on a serious love-hate relationship with these litter boxes. They stink. I am back to the old fashion box with litter—hand scooping it and laughing at myself that I actually have spent over $400 on four separate boxes that eventually gave out.

They are a mess! Not only do they eventually give out, but the rakes collect excrement and it is just gross. I just cannot believe that people like me continue to spend money on this **. $400 in 10 years is just too much to spend for restroom accommodations for a cat. I think that people should just be informed that the cost of these boxes and the longevity of them are not worth it.

Original review: May 9, 2011

I've had 1 littermaid, it worked great. My wife bought a LME 5000 before the old one stop working. I didn't want to use the LME 5000 till the old one quit working. So it set in the boxes for months. I got tired of the new one in the way. So I started using it. I've tried 3 different cat liter & the LME 5000 is junk. I have to remove the litter more than it does. If it does work, it drags out way to much litter. I've given up on the LME 5000 & went back to the old one. There has to be someway to exchange this LME 5000.

Original review: May 6, 2011

Had original LitterMaid for 10 years. Finally wore itself out. Bought new & improved model. Not true. Owned this model for 15 months. Motor was always weak and seemed to lag. Cleaning out litter box after being away on vacation. Upon noticing the unit had no power and noticed plug unit looked like it had been broken apart. Looking at it closer, it exploded. No breaker was triggered. We are lucky there was no fire as the adaptor and wires were completely blackened on the inside and melted.

Original review: April 14, 2011

The Littermaid rakes stop at the receptacle end of the box. I have replaced two of them. I believe the company is not being responsible with their product. The litter box cost $185. A considerable amount of money. I am quite frustrated as it appears many other are as well with this company.

Original review: April 1, 2011

I bought my original Littermaid automatic litter box about 9 years ago. I replaced the first one after about 4 years with the same model. In Dec.2010, the replacement unit gave out and I was unable to find a basic Littermaid box at the pet store. So I bought an Elite model with the clock on it and some other fancy options I don't use.

The quality for the Elite model is cheap compared to the original. It was more difficult to figure out how to put it together. It is much flimsier. The metal rake pushes the waste only to the edge of the waste receptacle instead of up and over the waste receptacle like the original model did. The waste receptacle is supposed to fit with "no gaps" but the replacement receptacles are so flimsy that within a couple cycles of cleaning, it gaps in the middle and I get a pile of litter and small pieces of waste falling down between the body and the receptacle onto my floor. It's a big pain to clean it up. This unit retailed for about $130 but with a coupon and sale I got it for just under $100. It is the worst $100 I've spent. The only nice thing about it is the rake is easier to get to & take off to clean than the original model but that one thing doesn't make it worth the extra money the fancy model costs. I won't ever buy another one!

Original review: March 5, 2011

I bought the LitterMaid self cleaning mega litter box to replace my old one and it is the worse thing I've ever bought. It is very cheaply made, comes apart easily and does not clean box. The rack spicks are too thin and does not scoop up litter. I've tried different litter but nothing works. I wanted to return it but didn't have the box. My old LitterMaid box lasted 5 years and cleaned well. It was made a lot better and had locks on the sides. The gear on the rack wore out and couldn't replace it. This was a good automatic litter box. I even tried to put a screen on the rack but it didn't work. They need to fix this problem. I am not happy with this product. I will call the service department Monday.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2011

After using LitterMaid automatic litter machines (four of them), I decided to get a new one. I bought a LitterMaid (Model: LME5000) Elite self-cleaning litter box. This is the worse LitterMaid that I have ever used. The new and improved is the new and improved piece of junk. I bought it at Target and am still within the 90 days so I am going to clean it up and see if I can return it. I am out $100.00 because of this purchase.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2010

Well, I received my Litter Maid (new) with purchase of my new house! I thought this is great --not! This Litter Maid works like **! It worked for one stinking day. Now, it wont rake and beeps constantly. I had the original and it was a good unit, but this XL sucks big time! I'm physically disabled and can't clean the cat box alone! Help!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2010

I have purchased three of their automatic litter boxes. The first one worked great but the motor burned out almost immediately after the warranty period. The second one also quit working again just after the warranty expired. The last one is the "Elite" model which is a different design. It is lightweight plastic whose sections do not fit tightly. Litter spills under the tray during scooping. The disposal tray top does not stay in place and allows odors to escape. This box is of poor design and is more trouble than manually scooping. I am so frustrated in the poor design that I am throwing this product out and will purchase a competitor brand.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2010

I bought a self cleaning cat box at a local store, and have regretted it since the second day! It is supposed to clean itself by raking the soiled litter into a covered container after the cat exits. Well, it does rake the litter, but not just into the container. There is kitty litter all over the floor, and it doesn't just rake the soiled litter, but the good litter into the container as well. I am using the litter made by Littermaid, so unless they make faulty litter too, they can't complain about my comments. They charge $12.00 for a small bag of litter, to put into a messier kitty box than I had, scooping by hand. I would not recommend this product to anyone. It is a terrible product. It is in no way more convenient. It is in fact more work, and a bigger mess than scooping yourself.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2010

I purchased my Original Littermaid Self-scooping cat box about 6 years ago. It lasted for 5+ years. When it broke in June 2010, I went to Wal-mart and purchased the current model. It broke in Oct 2010. As I was tired of replacing this unit at a cost of $90.00 each, I called customer service. After a 7-minute wait time, I spoke to a gentleman who led me through the various fixes but nothing worked.

At the end of our conversation, he offered to replace the unit. All I had to do was peel a label, cut the battery holder off, cut 3" of the power cord off, write a $10.00 check, find my receipt and mail all of these items at my expense to some place called ACP in Ohio. Then it will be 2-4 weeks before I would receive a new unit. Meanwhile, I have no working box which means I have to scoop litter daily.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2010

The roller on the rake assembly for the Littermaid Elite automatic cat litter box broke and caused the rake to continue the raking cycle until I discovered this and turned the unit off. I have read many reports on this website stating that this manufacturer does not have replacement parts. I emailed the manufacturer's customer service and was given the website (http://www.foxpartstore.com). This website has replacement parts for multiple models and for other household items. The cost was small and shipping is free.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2010

Wish I had stumbled upon these complaints 3 months ago before I wasted nearly $200.00 on the Elite! Never have been very impressed with the model considering the cost. I also have had issues with the rake getting stuck and then this morning, one of the plastic pegs broke off the rake frame after the device tried to run and run and run. I thought it should've lasted longer than 3 months - but oh well, guess I'll simply order a replacement rake - guess not.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2010

Purchase the LitterMaid elite self cleaning pan from Target on 9/22/10. Does not work as stated. Does not rake the dirty litter to the box, does not rake all of the clunks to the waste receptacle. This product is defective from the beginning, should be taken off the market for false advertising. Advise anyone not to purchase this product. Paid $107 which was a waste.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2010

I needed a replacement part for the LitterMaid Elite Mega Model LME 9250. I was told LitterMaid does not provide the replacement part. I have to purchase a whole new LitterMaid which I will never do again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2010

I too am having problems with the rake not going through the cycle without some help from me. But also one of the plastic rollers has broken so it won't go back into the "sitting" position by itself. I'm looking for a replacement rake.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2010

My name is Donna. I live in Long Beach, CA. I'm so glad I saw this website while trying to get a replacement part for the Littermaid elite cat box. Ditto plus more. I had one of the first Littermaid boxes when they first came out. Like everyone said it was really great. Had no problems with it at all. During our remodeling, the AC adapter got lost. I tried to contact the company for a replacement but wasn't successful. So I had to buy another.

I have 2 cats so I went for the larger one. Or so I thought it was. Sorry to say it was smaller than the old style for 1 cat. Box configuration is really bad. Litter falls out, rake gets stuck and keeps on going and going and going. My big problem is the little wheels that roll the rake back into it's holding position. Now, the entire rake assembly is out of whack by about 1 plus inches. So we're trying to make a new wheel to help it last a bit longer.

Next one I get, will not be a Littermaid product. I'm right on board if people want to file a class action against the company. I could use the money to buy another one, a better one. You would think if you have a good product, stick with the old model. Guess it's all about dollars and cents. No doubt they probably make this product in some foreign country, that doesn't even like cats. Here's a good motto: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My gosh, I spent almost $200.00 for the **** thing.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2010

Just like everyone else, I had issues with the Littermaid Elite. The metal rake had issues cleaning up the waste, and constantly got stuck. It finally died after the rake got stuck in the middle of cleaning. We were out of town, so who knows how long it kept running. I am now using it like a normal litter box, and just ran to Petco to purchase a plain old litter box.

I would like to say I've owned 3 or 4 Littermaids over 14 years, and this is the only one I had issues with. The plastic rake on the older models was much better than the metal rake on the Elite. Plus, I didn't like that the rake did not stop running after it hit an obstacle. Luckily it didn't heat up and burn anything!

My suggestion is don't purchase the Elite model.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2010

I bought an automated litter box from Littermaid. I bought the top of the line item which is $189.99. It broke after a couple months, so they sent me a new one. That one broke and they sent me a smaller cheaper one that retails for about $109.99. I told them and they sent me the same cheaper one. I bought the larger one because I have multiple cats and the larger one is for large multiple cats. The smaller one is for 1 small cat. I have called 3 times to get this corrected. They are sending an inferior product that makes a mess. I spent good money on the correct one and now they are not honoring their warranty.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2010

I have had a LitterMaid litter box for 10 years and had no problems with it. It finally crapped out, so I bought a new LitterMaid Elite. What a disappointment! More litter ends up underneath the liter box than in the holding tank. The whole thing is poorly designed. The only thing good with the new design is the ability to take the rake off. They need to go back to the old design. I will never buy another one of these again.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2010

DITTO! I am as Furious as my cats are. I have a LitterMaid plus and thought getting an "Elite" when I got a second cat would keep them (and me) both happier. The "Elite" is a piece of garbage. I've turned it off and line it with a box liner. What a waste of $169. No response from complaint department. What a bunch of losers. Time, expense, yeah, physical. I got it because I love the cats and rescued the two of them from shelters, but I can't climb the stairs everyday or lift--one arm!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2010

I bought a litter maid and had it six years. I think it just wore out. I bought another litter maid, the "new improved" Elite LME 9000 in April and it didn't work a week. The plastic lid with the two tabs that stick up through the plastic holes will not catch and stay and the plastic catch tray would not fit. The rake would push the waste up to the tray and push it on the floor or on the lid which kept falling out of the two holes that didn't fit to start with. That's the worst product ever and should be recalled.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

We purchased a LitterMaid automatic cat litter box 8 years ago. It worked great for years. So, we decided it was time to purchase a new one due to it seemed to be running out of pushing power. We purchased the new LitterMaid box in April 2010 at Wal-Mart in Aberdeen, WA. This new LitterMaid electric box is just horrible. It won't work any way near the old model. We are going to put it in the garage and just use a regular litter box instead. We hope to be compensated for the price we paid and are willing to exchange the box for the compensation. Thank you very much.

LitterMaid Company Information