1.67/5

Looking for a good dog food brand?

LitterMaid

Looking for a good dog food brand?

LitterMaid Reviews

Original review: July 28, 2010

I, like everyone else, had the old LitterMaid for about 12 years. It finally died and I bought the new and improved, elite one. It is the worst! It, like everyone says, does not pick up anything. I clean it all the time, use the correct kitty litter and hate this thing. I was just writing to the company when I found this website. The part I loved, the rake, that comes out doesn't work. It should be sitting lower and the blades need to be stronger. I also get a ton of litter underneath the pan. Weird. The old one was so much better.

Original review: July 26, 2010

I have talked to numerous people at this outfit. Do not pay over $100 for the Littermaid elite. Mine ran for 23 hours before I turned it off.

Original review: July 21, 2010

I recently bought a Littermaid Elite. I had a regular Littermaid I had for about six years that had stopped working properly. Since that one worked a long time, I thought I would get another Littermaid but for more cats, since I now have three cats. I liked the idea that you could take the bottom half off and clean it easier. It cost me about 128 dollars and I have barely had it for two months and it quit. All it does is both lights blink but before that, it had a difficult time just even scooping out the litter. I went in to see and it would only that the cat had pushed more litter to one side after they went. One cat hates this one for some reason. When it scoops, the litter ends up going through the cracks where it is put together and I have a pile of litter under the catcher that I have to clean up every time.

Now, no matter what I do, all it does is blink both lights. I should have ordered the kit to try and fix my old one because the motor still worked; only thing wrong was that the cord wouldn't go back and it would tangle up. Both myself and my partner have difficulty bending over the litter box for scooping and it was a great idea if we went away for the weekend. We didn't have to pay for someone to come scoop out the litter box now. So it would have helped financially.

This is worst made litter box I have ever bought. I lost $128 during this recession that I can't get back. Money is tight since they have cut my hours at work.

Original review: July 4, 2010

My LE9000 works fine for two cats. Oh, you have to change the collection bag once a week and also clean it once a month but it does not look nor smell like a litter box.

Original review: July 4, 2010

I have purchased three litter maid self scooping cat boxes. I have purchased the elite, and two of the classics. The cat boxes do not even last a year before they stop scooping. The elite does not even scoop the urine or the feces out of the box. I have tried the cheapest to the most expensive litter to make the boxes work correctly, with no results. At this time I am forced to go back to using the old scoop by hand boxes. My daughter also had the elite, which I purchased for her, and it also failed her immediately. I will never purchase another litter maid again.

I have a bad back and I am unable to bend constantly to scoop out the box, however, now I am forced to go back to the scooping myself. I am also out at least $400 dollars for the purchase of the litter maid self scooping cat boxes. I have also got to replace carpet, due to one of my cats being unable to use the boxes, because of there inability to clean themselves. I also fear that I may have to get rid of one of my cats because she has now been using the floor as her litter box.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: June 27, 2010

The Littermaid was the worst purchase I have ever made. It costs $100 and I am on a limited income. I bought the Littermaid box because I am physically limited, and cannot lift anything over 5 lbs. Littermaid advertises its product as self-cleaning. Their TV ads show the ease with which it offers. Everything about them is a fraud, a deception and disingenuous at best. I have had to clean it out every other day -- including lifting the box -- because, among other things, it does a poor to low job of self-cleaning. The expensive litter is not absorbing the waste, so some is always left behind. There is always used litter in the track of the rake.

The rake doesn't always work and at times it doesn't stop working, even when I put weight (like a cat's body weight) down. It kept moving. I had to turn it off so the cats wouldn't be injured. There is always urine on the floor of the pan under the litter. Stool gets caught in the rake. Now I know what the "suffering" is in tort. I have only had this box for a few weeks. I bought it when I came to PA to help with a ** sister who had an operation and subsequent physical therapy. I don't have time or the leftover physical and emotional stamina to spare to deal with this nightmare. I feel duped. I was duped.

Original review: June 26, 2010

We purchased a Littermaid Elite automatic litter box. It did not work right from the beginning. It got hung up almost every time it tried to clean. The older model was much better. I have used it for six months, not very happily, but now it won't work at all. The cleaning rake won't move at all now. The motor runs constantly but the rake doesn't move. This product is very inferior and the cost is $100+.

Original review: June 19, 2010

I had the original Littermaid self cleaning litter box which lasted 10 years and finally gave out. I obviously purchased another one and thought I'd not have problems. After a week of having the Littermaid Elite, we started having issues with the rake. I thought it was because of the amount of litter in the tray, but I was following the instructions and wasn't filling past the line. After a month, I had to turn the unit off and start cleaning it out myself. The rake would go an inch, back up and start over, go an inch, back up and start over.

There was no shut off. I was scared it was going to catch fire while we were away so I just turn it off. I really hope this product is pulled off the shelf and some restitution is given to those who have purchased the product. Given all the complaints filed, it obviously doesn't work and isn't worth $100+. This product doesn't work as promised. We're out the full cost of this product purchased at PetSmart for $100.

Original review: May 22, 2010

I purchased my Litter Maid Elite because after 4 years my original one stopped working. I had my new unit 4 weeks when the sensor stopped working. I paid over $100.00 for the unit. I purchased it at Target. They would not take it back because it was just over the 30 days. After reading so many complaints about the company that makes this product, I am surprised that some action hasn't been taken against them at this point. I am self-supporting and do not have extra money to spend to replace products that do not work and have no oversight. I paid over $100.00 for this product and cannot afford to purchase a replacement. If a company makes an inferior product continuously, they should be replacing them at no cost to the consumer.

Original review: May 20, 2010

I thought it would be good if someone 'over the pond' chipped in. I read the comments on this website before buying a littermaid LME9000 and ignored them at my peril! I bought a new unit off eBay at quite a good price. It worked brill and I was really pleased. Until 4 days later when the rake just started going forward an inch, back an inch on the spot all the time. There is nothing jammed or stuck, no reason it should not work after 5 days. So now I have to box it up (a pain in itself! ) and try and get the eBay seller to take it back! Good idea if it actually worked!

Original review: May 20, 2010

Littermaid elite mega: I ordered it from Petco online. It lasted 8 days before the rake broke off. I contacted the company, and they wanted me to pay to ship out a replacement. I already spent $180 on a cat box that lasted 8 days. How many times should I plan on sending them money for shipping?

Original review: May 15, 2010

I got the LitterMaid Elite for my two cats to make cleaning easier on me. Not a chance! The LitterMaid Elite wastes cat litter by dumping it over the sides right before the holding container and I only fill the bottom to the fill line, plus, it always leaves urine on the bottom of the tray. It also smears and smashes cat feces against the walls of the tray, the rake and the lid of the holding container when the lid doesn't open soon enough, not to mention it gets stuck 50% of the time. They have replaced the unit three times so far and they seem to be getting worse.

You don't save time or money using LitterMaid automated litter boxes. It requires attention at least three times a day, compared to once a day and a thorough cleaning (soap and water) once a week compared to once a month with a normal litter box. I compare the sound of the motor to that of a cheap hair dryer. I've been buying at least 25lbs of premium clumping cat litter every two weeks just to keep the ** thing filled. I went back to the regular "do it yourself" cat box and it's much better. You never know how good a product was until you've tried something worse.

Original review: May 2, 2010

Litter Maid Elite. It is all true as described by others. I spent over $150 on the Elite unit, right out of the box, the machine has issues. By the time, I realized my cats had already used it. Litter Maid sent a one time replacement, after receiving the circuit board, after paying for shipment of the circuit board, 2nd day air UPS, I received the replacement 2 weeks later. The machine is under powered and noisy. After a week or two, scratch caused by the cats covering on the bottom of the main tray, provided a key for the recommended litter to adhere, causing the machine to jam, not complete its cycle, obviously useless.

Having previously owning the Scoop-Free machine, I switched from using the recommended type clumping litter, to the Scoop-free type crystals. The Litter Maid has been using the Crystals now for a year with no problems. However, the Photo eye sensor has been, and continues to be unreliable, fails to sense the cat. A manual cleaning cycle is required every couple of days or so. I would not recommend the litter maid to any one. Save your money, try other solutions. Don't buy a litter-maid.

Original review: April 9, 2010

I purchased the Littermaid LM680 self-cleaning litter-box. It lasted 3 days and did exactly as the other complaints here have said. I didn't have the box but still had the receipt. Walmart was kind enough to let me exchange it for another one. This second one has lasted for about 3 weeks and the same thing has happened. Of course, customer service has you do all the "trouble-shooting" steps, to no avail. Imagine that! I, like so many others, had one years ago and it was awesome.

That is why I purchased another one. I was even confident that when I returned the first one, the second one would be great. Sometimes, a "bad seed" makes it to a store shelf. However, I am now convinced that society today is only interested in "quantity" and could care less about "quality". As long as there are trusting people like me who are willing to purchase items of this expense, thinking they are getting a good deal! Stress, aggravation, having to spend more money to replace existing malfunctioning product.

Original review: April 1, 2010

I am on my second Litter Maid Elite and I can tell you I would never purchase another! I had the old Litter Maid and it was great except it was hard to clean. When I saw the Elite, I thought it was worth spending the extra money to get this new litter box, boy was I mistaken. They where very nice and sent me a new one, but I had to spend the money to send in the computer chip. The sent me the Litter Maid Elite and this is worse than the one I had before. Do not, I mean do not think just because it looks great it will work. It has no power and would push a pea. I spoke to Fred and he was nice but did tell me that the complaints are pouring in. Keep scooping, save your money.

Original review: March 26, 2010

We had the original Littermaid self-cleaning box and it worked great, even with three cats. The motor eventually wore out after several years. Then, we purchased the Littermaid Elite and it was terrible! I had to clean out the litter box constantly. It appeared that the motor wasn't powerful enough to scoop even the smallest amount. Then, the grate would only go halfway and that was after I had taken most of the kitty litter out! Don't waste your money on this product! I wish we had the original one again!

Original review: March 23, 2010

In 2002, I had one indoor cat and purchased a Littermaid for the self-cleaning aspect and it was a gem! Our household grew by 2 cats and the automatic litter box would not work anymore. I thought this was due to the additional traffic and gave it away. For years, I have been scooping and felt destined to do so until recently while at a pet shop, I saw the Littermaid elite for multiple cats. I was so happy, I purchased the machine, additional receptacles, and plenty of the "correct" litter. I could not have been more disappointed.

The machine only dumped for 1 week into the receptacle and will no longer work a full cycle without jamming. That annoying noise can be heard all through the house as the motor runs over and over again until someone clears the jam (too much litter gathered in one spot usually; I can't get my cats to level off the litter when they have completed their business) or it finally stops with a flashing warning. The machine is over $100 and I feel that I have been ripped off!

Original review: March 9, 2010

We purchased the older LitterMaid Elite model with the clock/timer. It worked lovely for about 8 months and then began getting stuck midway. We used the proper litter and tried all the troubleshooting "tips" the manual had. Nothing helped. You'd think for a $100+ product, it would at least be able to rake up a clump of cat urine. We got the newer model Elite one, but this one doesn't have a clock/timer. Not sure why they took that away as it was actually pretty handy. This unit lasted less than 2 months. It barely made it over a 1 month, really. Same thing again, rake would get stuck midway and just sit there making that loud grinding noise.

We ended up having to unplug it and use it as a regular litter box. What a joke. When it worked, it worked lovely. This was partly why we purchased it. I have Lupus and with my immune system, I shouldn't be cleaning out the litter box. The LitterMaid was a wonderful solution to this. But considering how worthless it turned out to be; now my husband has to clean it out every day. What a huge waste of money.

We're sorely disappointed and after our friends have heard about all the trouble we've had with the bloody thing, they are too. It's appalling to see so many complaints of the exact same problem and the company seems not to care - in fact, they produce "new" models made of even shabbier material. Obviously, they need new leadership or something to change how they're doing business.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2010

I had purchased a LitterMaid model LM500 self-cleaning cat litter box which is the older unit and I was using it with three cats and never had a problem till it finally gave up after about 5 years of service. It had the plastic tines to scoop out the litter and worked just fine. After it finally did quit I ended up purchasing their newer model LME5000 with the metals tines to scoop out the litter. I now have only two cats and this unit has now quit before having it in use less than a year. The rake assembly will only go about half way and then return to the home position and then try again till it finally stops and the green light is flashing, indicating a problem or a cycle that hasn't been completed.

I emailed LitterMaid to see what they suggested might be wrong and they replied that I was using the wrong litter when I mentioned in the email what litter I was using they in turn gave me suggestions of which litter to use. They must not have read my email completely because one of the litters they recommended is what I am using. After further investigating the unit itself I found that under the rake assembly where the ribbon from the photo eyes attaches the bracket holding the ribbon in place is broken and puts the rake assembly in a bind when it goes half way down the track of the litter box and then returns to home.

This unit is junk and I have no idea what to do with it. I do not have the receipt from when I purchased it, and I have used it enough I don't think the store from where I purchased it will take it back. I am now in a position of cleaning the litter box twice a day after spending more than $100 for a piece of junk that doesn't do what it claims it will do. I have tried to search on the internet to find replacement parts and so far have had no luck. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2010

I have gone through several Littermaid litter boxes. I love the concept, but they do not last! For the price, I should get more than a couple of months of use. This is very upsetting!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2010

My husband and I bought the older version of the Littermaid and it worked great for a while, but then wouldn't stop cycling. We returned it to the store from which we bought it, and we upgraded to the Elite model. The Elite model doesn't work as well, and we wish we hadn't spent the extra money. It dumps a lot of litter on the floor, which is quite messy. Also, the metal tines aren't as effective as the plastic ones on the older model, so we end up doing some of the scooping ourselves. We're looking for a different self-cleaning litterbox to add to our home, because we will not purchase another LitterMaid Elite, and the older model doesn't seem to be available for purchase in pet stores anymore. A lot of extra mess to clean up, and wasted money on a product that doesn't work very well.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2010

This is the 3rd model that has broken within 30 days. I do not want to clean litter and thought the idea was great. The first model broke and I did not have the receipt. The second purchase did not work and was returned within 10 days. The 3rd purchase just broke within 35 days. I will find my receipt and return it to the store. This is totally unacceptable, poor quality and very expensive. It does not work.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2010

I purchased 3 of the regular LitterMaid litter boxes and was generally pleased. I recently purchased the new model LitterMaid Elite Mega and it is not a good product at all. I have to unclog the litter twice a day as the rake stops at the clumps and will not deposit them. The LitterMaid would not stop recycling so I had to return to the store and they replaced it. The replacement works as long as I'm here to unclog it morning and night. What's the use? I was pleased enough with the first 3 units, but will not purchase another unless they acknowledge the product is faulty. I logged a complaint on their website.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2010

I bought a unit the on 2nd week of December. Besides the cat getting the electric cord tangled in the rake on Christmas, now the darn rake won't move. What a waste of money! Don't buy this.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2010

I purchased a Littermaid Elite self-cleaning litter box in July 2009. It broke in October 2009, and I purchased a replacement. The replacement worked for 2 months, and then broke in January 2010. Both times, contacting the company's customer service line was unsatisfactory, and resulted in an offer to replace the unit(s), as they were under warranty, and registered online, provided that I cut off various pieces of the units, wrote a detailed letter describing what was wrong, included a check for $10 to cover their shipping costs. The Littermaid Elite costs $129 at PetSmart, so I am now out $260.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2009

I just bought two of these things because I just got two cats. One worked for two weeks and the second broke down a week later. I spent a total of $180 for this product and it didn't even last a month.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2009

I purchased two of the new supposedly multi-cat LitterMaid Max and Chloe model. I had the old version and used it until it gave out. I am shocked at seeing the same complaints I have already posted, along with the fact that it doesn't work as well as the old one. They didn't increase the size of the receptacle. So multi-cat plus same size receptacle as one cat equals mess and needs to replace the receptacle quicker. At some point it actually stopped working altogether because the thinner metal spines wasn't cleaning the box.

I spent $165 each on the machines. By the time I realized that it wasn't working, the 45-day return time from Petco had expired and I did not have the original packaging that it required to request a return. Who would keep those huge boxes?! So now I am using two very expensive litter boxes as regular $15 litter boxes.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2009

Bought a littermaid Mega Elite 9250. Had an older MEGA that has worked for 3 years. It had a plastic rake with rather thick tines.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2009

K I purchased a very expensive useless litter box. It does not work and the warranty does absolutely nothing. My unit lost power so i called the 800 number on the box for replacement or warranty work. Well to my surprise there is no such thing after a year and they will not even suggest any helpful hints to make it work again. It never did rake the litter that well and I found myself scooping more then the machine itself. So when a person purchases such an awful product and there is nothing the company will do to help you I say complain and hope that enough people out there read the reviews and not purchase this product. I am very disgused that I spent that kind of money in the first place but then to have a company not stand behind there product is even more frustrating. So to all of you out there thinking that self cleaning litter box is the way to go I tell no it is not and beleive you me scooping is not that bad once you think about the money you spend on a unit like litter maid that doesn't stand behind there product!!!! Be warned it is not worth the money and time to purchase this product.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2009

THE LITTEMAID LITTER BOX: THE FIRST ONE I HAD WAS GREAT UNTIL IT STOPPED WORKING, I UPGRADED TO THE ELITE, THE WORST THING EVER, THE RACK SITS IN THE BACK AND CAUSES CLUMPS AND EXTRA NOISE AND MORE WORK FOR ME. I FEEL THEY SHOULD CORRECT THE DESIGN AND SEND A NEW ONE THAT WORKS PROPERLY. ALSO YOU CAN NEVER FIND THE CAT LITER THATS ASSOCIATED WITH THE LITTERMAID BAX.

LitterMaid Company Information