2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

LitterMaid Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: July 28, 2012

I also had the older model for about 6 years. I loved it, never had any problems. It was quiet. It was effective. Never did I walk by and there be any sign of urine. At one point (sounds gross), it was next to my kitchen table (I never used that room). I had a dinner party and forgot to move the box. Well, it went off during dinner and someone said, "I'm sitting right next to a cat toilet and I would have never known." With that said, it broke. I was so upset. I tried fixing it several times and nothing. I assumed it was old and had its day, so I upgraded to the new model. What a huge mistake. I didn't really have the money at the time but the first one had been the best investment I've ever made so I pulled the money together and got it. Less than a week later, I could hear it running but every time I walked by, it was full. So I sat and watched.

The cat would go and the motor would run but the rake would not move. I tried the reset. I took it apart and cleaned it and nothing. I tried the button thing. I could hear the motor switch direction but the rake did not move so that was not the problem. I have called customer service since it happened (I'm sure not a record) 67 times and nothing. If anyone has any advice on fixing it, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, if someone does get a civil suit together, I'm all in. In this day and age, to charge as much as Littermaid is charging for a product they know doesn't work, these companies need to be taught a lesson. I'm tired of spending money on ** that doesn't work.

Original review: July 22, 2012

I have purchased a number of these through the years ranging in prices from $90 and up. The most recent one I purchased did not last two weeks and it has already malfunctioned. There is a lack of customer service at the Littermaid company.

Original review: July 19, 2012

I am getting the same runaround as everyone too! I sent mine in December of 2011, it is almost August! I am making a Facebook page dedicated to the problems I am having with this company and my boxes/refund. I think I have a better chance of getting a unicorn in the mail. Hopefully, we can file some kind of lawsuit against them eventually. I mean, there are enough of us! Any lawyers interested in this?

Original review: July 9, 2012

LitterMaid Classic series litter pan - The first classic series litter box I bought lasted less than one day. The rake stopped moving. I took it back to Walmart and exchanged it for another one. I thought maybe it was just defective. The replacement lasted a couple of months and the same thing happened. I called the customer care line and followed the advice on the automated troubleshooting system to reset the rake back into the starting position. Nothing worked. I couldn't even speak to anyone about it. Every time I called, a recording informed me that my call couldn't be taken at this time and to please call back another time. This is the first motorize LitterMaid box I have purchased and it will be the last LitterMaid product that I'll ever purchase.

I am extremely disappointed with the product. If this product is bad, how can I ever trust any other LitterMaid product? I am now a dissatisfied former customer. I'll be sure to tell everybody about my experience with this company's product!

Original review: June 28, 2012

LitterMaid (really Fox International) is finally shipping replacement products. This is after they have been backordered for six months. If you don't get a replacement product in a timely manner, demand a refund. They would be in breach of contract if a replacement is not shipped timely.

Original review: June 15, 2012

Allow me to start off by saying how totally insensitive your phone representatives are in trying to help your customers. I’ve been waiting for what seems like forever to have my Litter Maid Cat Litter Box replaced. It is completely unsatisfactory that a customer should have to wait this long. And to top it off, the date keeps getting pushed back further and further and your representatives could care less. Your company didn’t wait to take my money when I bought your product, so why should I have to wait this long to replace your broken product? This is wrong and you should consider how long I’ve had to wait and do without my product. So what is Litter Maid going to do about it?

Original review: June 5, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me as Donna. I went through 2 Littermaid units and returned them to the store as they failed within 30 days. The last one I thought was going to last so I threw away the box. I mailed in the parts to LM as requested in 12/11. A few months later, I called and was told March. When I called back again, I was told June. Six months to replace a defective unit? Obviously, there is no good reason for this. Obviously, they are in breach of their warranty contract. They really don't even care. I've also not seen new units in stores. My guess is that this division is going out of business, probably due to a terrible product. The unit is a piece of junk and the company is worse.

Original review: June 2, 2012

I have been a Littermaid believer for over 10 years. I have told all my friends how happy I am with the product. I am very disappointed in the newer models of Littermaid. They don't really clean, and the rake gets stuck. I have to clean it by hand regularly. The older model was quiet, efficient and I loved it. I won't buy another one. Although I will miss the idea of what they used to be, if I'm cleaning the box by hand anyway, why?

Original review: May 25, 2012

I received for Christmas December 2011 three brand new LM680 Littermaid boxes. After installing them a couple of days later, we noticed one of them didn't sound right when the motor ran. Within a week, it stopped working altogether. I called Littermaid Customer Service, and after several frustrating minutes, they determined the unit was bad and said if I sent them the black battery holder, the end of the power cord and the sticker from the inside of the unit, I would get a full replacement.

I mailed that to them on January 18, 2012, with my claim #. By mid-February, I still had heard nothing so I called back to Littermaid Customer Service and was told the unit was on back-order and I was "guaranteed" to have the unit by the end of February 2012. When by March 13th I still had heard nothing, I called again and was told that they still were on back-order, and I would be "guaranteed" to receive on by the end of March. On April 17th, I called again, and was told it would be June before I would see a new unit, but this time it was "guaranteed" to arrive. Yeah, right! At that time, I was so frustrated that the customer service rep agreed that if I fax in my receipt, that they would just refund me instead of sending me the unit.

By this time, the 2nd box had stopped working. And the rake was stopped dead center in the middle, so the cats can't even get in the box now. I faxed them a copy of my receipt on April 18th, 2012, and waited again. By May 21st, I called back to customer service and was told that my fax was received and the refund was authorized on May 17th, one month after they received my fax(!) and it would take 4 to 6 weeks to receive the refund! Two days later, I called back to Littermaid and a very snooty customer service rep refused letting me speak to a manager and told me I would be getting my replacement unit by the end of June. I explained that two days prior, I was told I was getting a refund. She said she had nothing in her notes about that, but I was "guaranteed" to receive the new unit by June 30th.

At this point, I told her that since the 2nd unit is now broken, was I going to have 6 full months before they refund or replace that one. She said if I fax them a copy of the receipt, that I will be "guaranteed" to get a refund for the 2nd one within 6 weeks. They already have a copy of the receipt! I faxed it to them on April the 17th. The Claim # for the 2nd one is # **. I doubt I will ever see a new unit or any refund back from Littermaid. This is a scam! They have been, "6 more weeks" for the last 6 months. I never get to speak to a manager. I have owned Littermaid boxes in the past, but sure, a few have stopped working within the 1st year. But, never have I had such bad customer service! Do not buy a Littermaid! They aren't worth the $129.99 you pay for, even the basic model!

Original review: May 25, 2012

Back in March of this year, my wife and I were shopping at a Walmart store in Las Vegas and my wife wanted a LitterMaid for our cat. It worked for about a week and then it just jammed. I then took it back to the Walmart store and got a replacement. That worked well for about two weeks and then that stopped working also. I went back to Walmart, but this time they would not give me back my money. I then called LitterMaid’s customer care. They told me to send them a piece of the power cord and the battery compartment. This was done on April 4. As of yet, I have not received a replacement LitterMaid or my money back. Every time I call them I get a new line of **. I hope you can do something to help me. I am at my wit’s end. I paid $64.00 for that piece of junk. My wife and I are on Social Security and $64.00 is a lot of money to us. Please help.

Original review: May 16, 2012

LME9000 - I should have known when I pulled this cheap plastic thing out of the box that it would not make us happy. I have had LitterMaid products for more than 10 years. The 980 was the best for my multi-cat family. I have owned a few of them because at one time, we were 6 cats. The 980 worked the best and was the quietest and still sturdy. This last box really stinks. I would trade the bells and whistles for another 980. I don't need it to have a sleep timer so that it won't be able to move if 2 cats use it at the same time within an hour. It broke up the "premium" clumping litter clumps. For the most part now, the box is never actually clean. It is cheaply built and I like nothing about it. I went to the website to see if I could get another 980 and they are out of stock. LitterMaid, I am very disappointed and angry.

Original review: May 9, 2012

I have purchased LitterMaid products for several years and I bought 2 of the LME9000MW and have tried for quite some time to get help with the LitterMaid litter box. The pet store where I purchased the litter box would not exchange it anymore after the first time they exchanged it. The pet store told me to contact LitterMaid and let them know about my problems with the LitterMaid litter box. I did contact them on several different occasions for help. My machine has completely stopped working now, so I am back to hand scooping litter by hand and a useless few hundred dollars litter machine that should have been very useful to me, like the other LitterMaid litter machines I have purchased in the past.

I am disabled and in a wheelchair, it is very hard on me to have to go back to hand scooping, which is not right. The litter box should be working and/or they (LitterMaid) should have replaced the litter box. I would love for it to work because the other ones I had purchased over the years worked 100 times better than this one and they were a lot less expensive. LitterMaid has not helped me at all and also has no records of my complaints. Luckily, I kept my own records and now they can't even find where I registered my product. LitterMaid, do the right thing and help me! I cannot afford to replace the litter box with a new one because I am disabled and I am on a fixed income.

Original review: May 7, 2012

I bought a Littermaid 680, which is a basic box, after reading the complaints about other models with bells and whistles. This thing never worked properly (rakes not going down deep enough to scoop the junk plus rake falling numerous times) and after 3 months of usage, it stopped working completely. It is a piece of junk.

Looking at the number of complaints, it seems like Littermaid litter boxes should be taken off the market. I registered this thing on ProdProtect/Applica site, so I filled out a form to get the situation resolved as this product is supposedly under 1 year warranty. The form will not get submitted and I am asked to call an 800 number which is not answered. I have spent half a day trying to figure out how to resolve this situation to no avail. Littermaid's 800 number doesn't answer either. I feel ripped off and am angry.

Original review: April 22, 2012

Horrible box! I have been a LitterMaid customer for years. I had purchased two boxes before. I kept the last one until it died. Then I purchased the Elite box during Fall 2011. The tines on the rake do not reach the bottom of the box. I have to scoop the box daily. I even sprayed the bottom with Pam to keep the urine from sticking. I am using more litter than I have ever used with my previous LitterMaid boxes. After reading that people were having the same problems, I went and purchased the classic version. The Elite model is not worth it.

Original review: April 15, 2012

I purchased this LitterMaid elite box after my old one "LitterMaid ultra" died. I had a fantastic experience with the ultra and thought the elite would give me the same great product. I had it for a month when I noticed the unit was not working properly. When I emailed my concerns to their customer service department, I was asked to make sure the box was assembled properly. Once I confirmed my box was assembled properly, I was told there was nothing they could do to help me.

It was disappointing to spend $100 on this unit. I still battle the self scooping combs to remove all the waste and find myself scooping litter waste on a daily basis. This is a poor, poor product. The LitterMaid ultra worked far better. However, at this point, I am not willing to shell out more money to a company that does not take care of terrible products.

Original review: April 7, 2012

Strip out gears - This is the second Littermaid we have owned the first was great. Years of service, the new replacement is a piece of junk. The forks don't reach the bottom of the box and keeps falling off. We always watched how much litter we put because a little over the level line, watch out. More trouble cycle back and forth.

Original review: April 2, 2012

I bought the LitterMaid Elite from PetSmart back in Dec. of 2011. I thought I'd be one of the lucky ones for whom this box works - not. After one month of iffy performance, the thing completely died. I called customer service - after waiting an hour on hold - they made me prove the thing was dead. I tried everything the agent suggested, nothing happened, still dead, so I sent in the list of things they wanted so they could send me a replacement box.

They received my package on Feb. 2, 2012, and as of the first week in April, they're still saying it's going to be months before they can send me a new one. To top it off, the customer service agent was rude and bossy, like this was my fault, and I was silly for thinking that a company should stand behind its product. If I can go to PetSmart and purchase a new one, why can't they go ahead and send me a replacement? They're being shipped from the same supplier - if you have them to sell, you have them to be able to send out to your customers waiting on replacements for broken boxes. They just want to keep snagging suckers, then walking away from their responsibility as a company to fulfill their warranty.

Original review: March 31, 2012

The tines do not reach far enough into the litter to scoop the poop. I have to hand scoop daily. I had one of these before and it worked fine for a long time, but this new one is a bust. Checking the LitterMaid website, they show out of stock on their automatic litter trays and the online complaints I read are saying the same thing, so maybe they are doing something about it? They need to. They aren't worth it with the tines not doing their job! The unit works fine otherwise.

Original review: March 21, 2012

The rake does not work forward. My box has never been used electrically since I got it. For the money, it is a huge waste. I had a Littermaid before and got help over the internet; I have it repaired twice and then the motor dies. I paid $191.00 for this on March 1, 2012. I need a whole new top that works. The whole Littermaid Elite is very poorly made. The waste container doesn't work the connections for the ramp and the cover of waste container is flimsy. I would never advise any one to buy this product again. Please respect this complaint and reimburse me the money or send me new workings. I cannot get anyone on the phone or internet to answer a call. Very poor service.

Original review: March 11, 2012

This is the third Littermaid box we've had. The first two were great. The third one was a complete waste of money. It jammed up several times, then stopped completely. We kept it clean and couldn't find any reason for it to not work. It lasted less than a month. We only have two cats, so it's not like it was used hard. Needless to say, it's the last one we'll get.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

My LitterMaid does not clean the litter. I have to clean it every morning. The rake goes back and forth like it is suppose to but does not do the job it is supposed to do. The rake does not go to the bottom of the pan to reach all of the dirty litter. I can understand it not picking up small particles, but my God, it’s supposed to pick up large clumps. Will someone explain this to me without beating around the bush? I have only one cat, but I just wish this LitterMaid would work like it is advertised. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

I am giving one star only because my old, old LitterMaid that I found years ago when a neighbor moved worked for years and I have no idea how old it was when I found it. That is the end of any praise I have for LitterMaid.

A few years ago I bought a large LitterMaid to set up while I went on vacation. By the time my 3 day vacation was over, I returned to find it had already quit working. I took it back to PetsMart and got a full refund.

I purchased a regular sized LitterMaid from Wal-Mart for $89.00. It worked for a few weeks and then started making a clacking noise and the "scooper" would not move back and forth. Unfortunately, I still have it sitting idle in the garage.

You would think I would know better but I went to PetsMart and bought the new Elite Mega with the ramp and the "new, more powerful motor". At checkout, I told the cashier that I was not sure if I should purchase it because I already had a different model at home that only worked a short time and I had returned another large one to PetsMart. She wished me luck and told me that the LitterMaids came back faster than they went out. I paid $169 (on sale) and took it home. I only used it for a short time and put it away. When my oldest one finally died I put the "new" one back into commission. It has hardly been used. At first it worked fine but after one month it will not operate. The fact that my old one worked for so many years and the newer ones have not lasted at all says to me that the company has cheapened the product.

I would not recommend buying one. Be afraid, very afraid of this product and it you do buy one, be sure to keep you receipts and the box. You will need them.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2011

A few years back I purchased a Littermaid, it worked great for about a year and then it broke. I went to WM and purchased a new one, it lasted about 6 months. We have a cat that pees a lot, so about a week ago, I figured I would give it a whirl again. The Litterbox keeps getting hung up, so I scoop the pee and then it works. Well, today I cleaned the bottom tray, put it back together and made sure it worked. The cat went to pee, now it's hung up in front of the dump station. The light keeps flashing, I keep resetting it, but nothing. I called CS, but due to the holidays there is nobody at the call center. I'm gonna try back tomorrow and if there's still nobody, then I'm cleaning it up, taking it back to WM and get my $90 back.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2011

I don't know why you didn't stay with the Littermaid you had for about 10 year. The plow that picks up the waste was a lot better. I don't know why you changed it. I don't use it anymore.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2011

I bought the LitterMaid multicat litter box. A few months later, it stopped working. I called the company and a man told me that he may be able to fix it by phone but that didn't work, so he said to send the upc symbol, battery compartment and end of power cord and they would replace the unit. This has been a couple of months and I have not received another litter box. I will no longer buy another LitterMaid self-cleaning litter box again and I will let everyone know to buy something else. I am out $120 for a litter box that lasted two months.

I am very disappointed but I did purchase three litter boxes from Omega Paw for less than the one I paid for one LitterMaid multicat litter box. Buy an Omega Paw. All you do is roll the box back and forth and the debris goes into a scoop disposer that you toss.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2011

I had purchased the model before they came out with the Mega Elite (for multiple cats). It was easy to take care of and it eventually died. I then bought the Mega Elite model (their latest model) more times than I can remember. Probably 4 or 5 times (I am ashamed to admit). However, I must say, it was because their customer service was so good and they kept thorough records of my complaints with each one (dates, etc.) that I got lured into it. They would warrant each purchase for a year (not a one lasted that long ) so I'd call them, they'd have me send them a $10 check, along with a piece of the circuit board from the battery compartment area, and in less than a week I'd have the new box. (By the way, the circuit board piece and the check required no extra postage at all.)

This happened repeatedly until I finally said enough is enough. It's been over a year that I've been without one and I'm about to try again because I found a chute/cabinet "thing" (online) that the box sits on and the chute, replaces the plastic receptacles and there's no spilled litter underneath as a result. It's $149 and I haven't read one bad review about it. Nothing but really good reviews as a matter-of-fact! I'm sure I'll regret it but if I don't check it out, I'll regret that also. What can I say?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2011

This Littermaid Catbox is the worst piece of *** I ever had. I had previous models but this one is the worst. The rake never gathers the litter so you end up with a dirty catbox. So what's the point of having a self-cleaning litter box int the first place? For some reason when it does run, it flicks the top of the receptacle area so then the whole house smells of dirty cat litter. The rake comes off all the time. They have the wost customer service. When I have needed to replace one that broke 24 hours after I set it up, I was told to cut off the rake and send it back to them and they would send me a new one in 4-6 weeks. Thank God Amazon would take it right back without the 4-6 week delay.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

This Littermaid Elite is a terrible product; it doesn't work as promised and it's more work than a pan of litter. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! The rake just slices up the litter and the clumps from the urine aren't taken out. What a rip-off!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2011

I also owned older version of self cleaning litter box. It worked great but the motor stopped. Now the newer version is awful. There is no scooping action at all. It pushes litter out to the edges. It is much louder than the older one. I hate it. I regret buying this one. How can I return a used litter box? It's very disappointing!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2011

I have had the previous model for about 14 years. I never had a problem until the motor finally died. Being thrilled with the first self-cleaning box by Littermaid, I immediately went out to get a new one.

It is the worst thing on the face of the earth! It does not clean out the droppings, but slices them into little pieces. The urine sticks to the bottom and you have to scrap it off. The entire box is messier than a plain litter box and a lot more work to clean up. I will never buy Littermaid again! In the meantime, I will have to redesign this box until I find a better company to give my money to.

LitterMaid Company Information