2. Pets

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

LitterMaid Reviews

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

I have an older LitterMaid that worked for my cat for years. And last time I checked it still worked great. The problem is I haven't had a cat in years. It's just sitting here gathering dust.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2014

I was given my Litter Maid 580 as a Christmas gift from my mother in Dec 2013. It worked fine for about 3 months (outside the loud and slow auto rake) but after that I ran into a problem, the auto rake would jam up in the middle of the process even with very little waste in the litter. So I cleaned out the box, put new litter in and it worked fine for all of 24 hours and boom back to having problems. After about a week of this problem it stopped only to have a bigger one start after it had completed the cycle of taking the waste out and into the bin it would literally fall back on the track into the litter box.

So I called Litter Maid to get a replacement and talked to a man named Jos. After I was done with him two weeks later I received my replacement box. Now with this replacement box like its predecessor it lasted about 3 months before I ran into the same set of problems. So now I am on my 2nd replacement box and 3rd box overall in a span of less than 10 months. I hope my mother's Litter Maid box that she has had for 8 years does not break anytime soon because these new boxes are complete garbage!

Original review: July 31, 2014

I bought a Litter Maid when they first came out and I loved it! It took my cat a few days to get used to it since she was getting old, but when she did, I think she enjoyed having a clean litter box every time she needed to go. And I liked it because it helped in keeping the odor down. It didn't last too awfully long, 2-3 years. My cat passed and I didn't get another for several years, but when I did . . . As several people have complained about the grates not going all the way down to the bottom of the pan, the motor was quite loud, and mine also goes so slow it seems it might quit in the middle of the cycle. I too have tried different "premium litters" to no avail.

Original review: July 22, 2014

I had a littermaid over 10 years ago. It worked wonderfully. That is the reason I purchased another one for my new cat. The one I have now is a joke. I don't even know where to begin. The rake, which doesn't even get the bottom of the pan, gets crusted and throws the litter behind the plastic container, or stuck on the cat. He was in the middle of his business, and it turned on pushing him out and all the mess with him. The top lid of the plastic container never stays put, constantly coming out of it's place and leaves the poop and litter all over the top all piled up. The litter, no matter which I've used, makes no difference. I've had to manually remove all the crud at the bottom of the box on every container change, which was every few days if I was lucky, and the containers, very expensive.

Luckily, they give you a scooper, surely because they know that's what you will be eventually doing. It's been 2-3 months, and our littermaid has just stopped working. Finally some piece from the loud motor that scares the heck out of you in the middle of the night. After reading all these complaints, and seeing the poor customer service, I will never purchase any LitterMaid product again, nor will I recommend LitterMaid to anyone. It is a waste of money because it's simply not the same product as it was years ago.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I bought my LitterMaid only 2 mos. ago and has stopped working. I have to rake it myself almost every day because it doesn't get up all the waste. From reading the reviews on here, it sounds like we are buying an inferior product compared to the old ones. I am taking mine back to Petco and asking for my money back. I'll just buy a regular litter box again and use that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LitterMaid?

Original review: April 20, 2014

Worked okay for three weeks, then it stopped. I found the plastic around the drive piece broken. And am up to my elbows in cat crap and litter. Called the 800 number and they are not open on Sunday.

Original review: March 21, 2014

More work than a regular cat box. Rack does not scrape deep enough in box therefore everything accumulates right at edge just before receptacle. Experimenting with multiple "premium cat litters" made no difference. A big waste of money and extra time.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2014

I purchased a LitterMaid about 17 years ago and used it through the years for 5 different cats. It has been the best purchase I ever made. Our cats loved having the box clean every time they stepped into it. It did have a few drawbacks: it was loud and the little plastic inserts did not last very long because they could not handle the weight of the cat debris raked into it. A year ago the track started hanging and it would no longer clean the box. That is when I realized how good a job it had been doing all these years. I wish I could get this one fixed or find a good one that works this well. They sure knew how to make them back then and I miss having it work and so does my cat.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2013

I purchased the Litter Maid litter box in October 2013. It is not only poorly designed it is cheaply constructed at a consumer cost of $130.00 The flimsy PLASTIC TRAY SERVES NO PURPOSE ASIDE FROM AN ADDED PROFIT MARGIN FOR THE COMPANY (THAT'S HOW PRINTER COMPANY MAKE THEIR MONEY BY OUR PURCHASE OF CARTRIDGES). IT TAKES 6 MINUTES LONGER THAN A REGULAR, Standard Litter box cleaning. The cat cannot urinate as it will stick to the rail comb and has to be removed manually. In short it is one of the worst purchases I ever made and I will let Petco know.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

We've had our LitterMaid Elite for almost a year now. We've only had 2 issues with it, the rake at one time wouldn't run the whole cycle. We took the top of the box off, cleaned the tracks and it worked fine. And for a little while, it kept turning itself off. We are still not sure why, but it's working fine now. My biggest complaint is finding replacement parts. My teen took the box out for a hose down (helps with the sticky litter on the bottom if you hose the littler compartment every few weeks), and I don't know what she did with the part that holds to waste receptacles and the hinged lid. So, now we can't use the box on auto scoop because there's nothing to hold the parts in place. I've looked all over and can't find them. You'd think LitterMaid would have the parts on their site.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2013

I purchased 2 LitterMaid 580s at least 8 years ago. One of them quit working because I cleaned it wrong (I got water in the sensor). I called the company before I realized that it quit working because of my stupid mistake and they replaced the litter box, for which I am grateful and slightly ashamed of myself for breaking it to begin with. Anyway, these two litter boxes have functioned perfectly all this time, never had any problem with them that was not my own doing, like not cleaning them often enough and too much litter.

Of course, you have to scrape the bottom of the box depending on what kind of litter you use, it clumps hard and adheres to the bottom of the box. I have switched to Scoop Away and am very happy with it. Now, one of my litter boxes after continuous use for at least 8 years has broken, the electrical wire that goes to the raking arm broke. So, I'm shopping for a new one. After reading the reviews, I sure hate to put out the money to buy another one if it's going to work so badly. But, I'm leaning toward buying a LitterMaid 680. Hope it works out as well as the old ones.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

Some parts broke and finding replacements was hard... However, I was more than satisfied with the initial product. Why can't I find it on the Internet for less, as most of my stores have quit carrying it??

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

We have purchased a Littermaid product in the past and have not had any problems; however when the original product stopped functioning properly, we decided to purchase another one. What a mistake!!! This is just JUNK! It would not clean the litter box the way it should. We had to always use the rake to clean it completely. Additionally, we went through a lot more litter as it would spill out of the bottom by the holding tray. We spent a lot of money on this product and we are very angry that it is not working the way it should. I will NEVER purchase another product from them again. It was a real waste of our money!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2013

It worked great for a while, but soon after the warranty ran out, it would jam at the least amount of resistance. It got to the point where I had to move it along in order for it to run to the emptying tray. At first it had no problem returning to the starting point, but after a few weeks it would jam on the return trip too. Very disappointing.

Original review: July 6, 2013

The new corn litter isn't worth a hoot compared with your original! The clumping is mediocre/not as good, and it tracks around the litter box easier. Why not give consumers a choice and bring back your original litter... PLEASE!

Original review: June 16, 2013

I replaced my litter box that had lasted over 2 years with the same new model, and it lasted 10 days. It keeps stopping in the middle of the box and despite resetting, continues to do the same thing going over and over. I am unable to obtain an address or number to contact the company.

Original review: June 6, 2013

My first LitterMaid purchased in the 90's worked very well for a long time. Second one purchased (Litter Maid LM 580) gave up the ghost in what I considered a much too short a time (less than a year, I think). It had a broken wire, which could not be repaired, so I backed off them for a while. Then it became too hard for me to bend over to scoop litter boxes, so I bought one about 6-8 weeks ago. Well it stopped working a week to ten days ago after having worked only long enough to fill one waste receptacle. I have repeatedly gone through cleaning and reset procedures, and it still has the bar stuck in the middle and a blinking light!! I regret wasting my money (I am a retired senior on fixed income). It certainly has been a huge disappointment!!! Never again!!

Original review: May 9, 2013

My first experience with a LitterMaid was in the mid-90s. It was great, so when I bought another one within the past year, I was disappointed because I had to clean the litter box more than the LitterMaid did. It left huge clumps. I guess I should have known better when a litter shovel was part of the package. I am not one who likes to waste my money, but I feel that I have and this was not 10 or 20 dollars. It was over 120 dollars. I know I have had it long enough that I can't get my money back, but I wanted to warn people before they spend a lot of money on a product that, to me, isn't worth it. I gave it a chance thinking I just needed a different kind of litter, but that didn't matter. I bought good clumping litter and it didn't make things better.

Original review: May 3, 2013

My original LitterMaid box lasted 5 1/2 years and never had any problems. It stopped working in May of 2012, and we had such a good experience we ordered another one. Wow! My new box arrived in June of 2012; it lasted 5 months. We returned the items requested to LitterMaid and waited for a new box to arrive. After 6 weeks of waiting and no box, I called LitterMaid again. I was then told the boxes were on back order, but I should have a new one in about 2 weeks.

After finally receiving the new box, it lasted maybe 3 months. I called again and requested a refund and was told it would take 3-4 weeks. Once again, I sent back the required items. Here it is 7 weeks later, and I still do not have my money back. I called today and was told that it would take 8-10 weeks more. Really? I can't believe these people are still in business with the crappy product and crappy customer service. If you think of purchasing anything from LitterMaid, think long and hard and do not do it.

Original review: March 20, 2013

I bought a LitterMaid less than a week ago because I broke my back in a car accident. Bending is not possible. I haven't had the stupid thing not even 1 week and it didn't work. Waste of my money that is limited at this time for a wastebasket that takes electricity to run and then it doesn't! I bought it the 15th of March and it stopped on the 18th. Three whole days for garbage. I will never buy again and definitely will not recommend to anyone!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2013

We purchased the LitterMaid Elite, thinking it would save us time and money caring for our 3 cats. Boy, were we wrong! The motor to scoop the waste into the basket is horrible. My wife actually has to scrape the bottom of the litter pan twice a day to keep the machine from jamming and stopping. And don't get me started about the cheap plastic waste containers. The disposable lid never stays onto the opening lid. It leaks litter behind and underneath the waste container so the smelly urine litter still is outside the container. We purchased the additional privacy tent thinking it would contain the litter more, but it actually does no good. In fact, it is a pain to put together and you have to remove it every time you do a full litter change. The scoopable litter that the manual says you have to choose from are very expensive and really does no difference in the scooping mechanism's operation because all of it jams the motor. Stay away from LitterMaid! You will waste more money, time and frustration.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2012

I would not buy another LitterMaid. I have an indoor cat and it is full after 3 days. This might be okay for an outdoor cat but not one that is indoors all day. It is also very loud and does not even out the litter after the cat uses the box. You also have to use the scoop everyday in order to pick up the medium pieces after use as well. It is also a very large and bulky unit and does not fit in a small apartment or area, as well as a regular litter box.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2012

Day 32 and on my second LitterMaid box (purchased both at Walmart). Day 1 of second unit and the motion sensor does not work right out of the box! Customer service wants me to return it to them, but I'm going to bring it back to Walmart because it's easier to do so. First one worked fine until day 30 and the flat power strip came off the power supply internally. It is only taped? Very poor quality unit and all of their models (even the $175 model) are made the same way. According to customer service, they just have more options on them. I wish there was another company out there that could build something that would last. I will continue to return them until my warranty expires, then go back to manual. Not worth the money!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2012

LitterMaid keeps breaking. I am on my third one. It seems like the company builds these machines to fail. I tore the first one apart, thinking I could fix it; but all the plastic parts and springs were stripped, so I threw it away. My second one just failed as the internal mechanism started sounding like machine gun inside - obviously internal plastic mechanism that just wore out. You would think that if we can put man on the moon, they could build a machine that would last longer than 2-3 years, but then the company may not be profitable.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

After searching in vain for a replacement LitterMaid litter box, we purchased an "elite" model that cost over $150. It worked great, for about a month. Now the sleep light keeps coming on and it will not work. A call to customer service and I was told how to reset the unit and once again, it worked, for about a week. I hope I never buy such an ineffective product again.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2012

I recently posted a complaint similar to others about the poor customer service I got when my Littermaid litter box broke and I read several complaints that were the same. I recently got on the United Pet Group website and sent my complaint to them. My email was forwarded and the problem was solved in less than a week.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2012

I had a Littermaid a few years ago that I loved, although it stopped working after a year. I finally decided to shell out the money to purchase a new one last year as my elderly cat started becoming prone to urinary tract infections and having a consistently clean box would help prevent this. A month after purchasing it, this one stopped working too! I called the company and they had me run through a few tests to try to fix it. Upon hearing the motor on the box try to work, the rep realized this was a major problem and said they would send me a replacement. However, I had to cut several wires and mail them in, so that they knew the box I had could no longer be repaired.

After a few weeks of waiting, I called back. They explained that the box was on backorder, so it could take up to another few weeks to receive it. Another month passes and I call again, only to be given the same answer. This time, I was assured it would be 6-8 weeks. So, I call again after another two months only to still be told the same thing! I asked if there was any way I would just get a coupon/voucher so that I could go pick one up in the store, as my local PetSmart had it in stock - but was told this was not possible.

I decided to give one more shot at waiting. Again, after hearing nothing for another two months, I called, once again to be told they had the same problem. This time, I asked if there was another model they could send me, as I had spent a lot of money on the machine only to have it work for a month and now to be several months waiting for a replacement. They said no because all the models were on backorder. They also said they had no idea when they would be back in stock and never did. And although they say "6-8 weeks," they really don't know if this will actually be the case. The best they could do was send me a refund if I didn't want to wait any longer. I agreed. They said it would be sent by the end of the week.

I now went through the same problem trying to get the refund. After a month, I called and they said whoever took the call forgot to process the refund! They assured me it would be sent again the next day, and that I would be emailed when it was. I never received an email so I called two weeks later only to be told that it was not put through once again! I called every week or two for the next few months, asking to speak with supervisors, only to be told that it was "in process" and should be sent "by the end of the week" every time. Finally, after having to get really angry and demanding why I was being continually lied to did I finally receive my refund. The whole process took 10 months! This was completely ridiculous and unheard of.

While I actually like the product, this ordeal and disrespect I received from their company will prevent me from ever buying a Littermaid again! I have since purchased the SmartScoop which I like better. Also, I did have an issue with the SmartScoop but they sent me a replacement part for my unit in three days of speaking with the very friendly customer service woman! Pick SmartScoop over Littermaid if you are buying an automatic litter box!

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2012

I recently got on the United pet group web site I sent an email about my experience with the litter maid customer service. The email was forwarded and I got a response with in an hour and in just a few days my problem was resolved.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2012

We bought our Littermaid in November; it broke in January. I was told a replacement would be sent in a month. After a month, I called back and it was on back-order. I called back months later and they changed manufacturers for more weeks. I called back again and I was promised and assured it would be here the second week of August or I could get a refund. At this point, the second week of August was 3 weeks away and a refund would be 6 to 8 weeks. All this time they had my money and I had a broken litter box.

I called yesterday (the third week of August) and again they were on backorder. Every time I had to initiate the call, no one updated me and they only thing I got was, “I understand.” But now a supervisor says I will have a refund by the end of next week. After all the month of promises and assurances, do I think that will happen? No. The first Littermaid I had years ago was awesome. This one was terrible and they provided the worst customer service I have ever had. Plus, when you call, you have to wait 2 minutes or more to talk to someone.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2012

I have liked using the Littermaid when the first ones came out. The first one I bought lasted over 6 years and used by 3 cats. The second was identical to the first one and I liked it very much. Thereafter, the new one, Littermaid Elite Mega, does not work very well. It does not scoop up the litter because the rake rises and leaves it in the box. I end up scooping it up as if it were an ordinary box. I think I wasted over $150.00 for something that I am doing myself with a pooper scooper. Nothing compares to the very first ones sold. I would rather have one of those again if I knew where to get them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2012

I had a cat box under warranty. It broke. I sent all the required pieces of the box to the product warranty company, I have a case number. I overnighted the wires, parts and pieces as directed. It has been two months. I call every week and they do not have the product. Do not buy from LitterMaid.

LitterMaid Company Information